Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / NaGaCreMo 2010

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2009 20:23
It's not a really serious competition, just something to keep you motivated to finish a project. I've already started my program, and I know others have as well. I'm more interested in seeing what everyone comes up with than worrying about someone getting a little head start.

I will live forever or die trying.
My game blog
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 26th Dec 2009 20:58 Edited at: 27th Dec 2009 02:57
You can start a project whenever you like! The goal is simply to just finish a part (or even the whole thing) within the first thirty days of the first month of the new year. So yeah.

EDIT:

@AndrewT:

Have you ever messed with Blitz 3D? I'm wanting to learn how to program in it and I'm wondering if you could perhaps help me understand a couple of things inside of it. If so, can you please email me at jeremy(dot)gardner01(at)live(dot)com? Thanks!

Just realized I added an extra (dot) in there... Sorry if you already sent an email to an address that's not mine!

lil marioman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2009 22:17
I was always under the impression that it was closely related to NaNoWriMo in the sense that you start at the very beginning of the month.

Oh well. I'm starting on New Year's anyways.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2009 22:20
It's a personal challenge, you don't have to strictly keep within the guidelines. NaNoWriMo doesn't stop you from starting early or doing extra prep-work. At the end of the day, you get out what you put it - if you're planning on entering in the 2020's then you're not going to get much out of doing it, unless you're saying, "I'm going to work towards having a massive and AWESOME game with the next 10 or so years." Though setting a goal that far away is perhaps unrealistic and perhaps difficult to work to as you might want other goals along the way.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2009 03:57
I'd like to change mine to a project I've already been working on for a few years, and would LOVE to have ready for a public beta.

I, Jeku, pledge to finish a public beta of MyGameSync within the first thirty days of 2010.

This is an app I've been working on since early 2008 to help gamers safely sync their game saves online with their other computers, or for backup purposes. A *lot* of the legwork is done; it just needs some stability fixes and more of a complete community website.

http://www.mygamesync.com

Thanks!

Senior Web Developer - Nokia
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 27th Dec 2009 05:49
Alright Jeku, updated the info in the first post. Sounds like a great application!

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2009 06:13
CoffeCoder:

Nah, sorry, I'm only familiar with BlitzMax.

i like orange
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 27th Dec 2009 09:55
Ah, alright then. Thanks anyhoo. I've actually found some helpful sites and videos about coding in Blitz 3D, and the help files are pretty helpful as well.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2009 12:20
My game is called Skip a Beat.. I'm in for NaGaCreMo.
It's all about falling and music.
Screenshot posted here, I'll start a WIP soon!

I want robotic legs.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Melancholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks nice Butter Fingers, kinda like the effect i was aiming for . Hell i cant wait much longer to start my project!
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
x_x

Just lost ~400 lines of code...

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 00:51
I've started on mine, considering it's almost the new year. I'll actually won't be able to work on it the first couple days of the new year, so I don't consider this cheating, just getting in my days earlier.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 02:10
How could it be cheating when it's not a competition?

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 02:47
I still consider it cheating. And I will hate you all forever. I hope that provides sufficient deterrent. Obviously my opinion is the most important thing in this equation. Honestly, I doubt my attempt will be anything to talk about because I'm going to have a lot going on again soon with uni and grade 8 guitar and all that which I'm planning to get a decent start on, so I really do not judge. I should probably stop posting in this thread in fact, as I fear a rather shame-faced admittal of defeat at some later stage.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 03:06
It is not cheating to start your project before January 1st. This isn't a competition, so there's no winning, losing, cheating or fair-and-square rules anywhere. If you so desire, you can work on something that's been your primary project for a while and just try to complete something within it; this can be literally ANYTHING, as long as it's code.

As stated, I'm working on an idea from the game I entered last year, only the project and idea has changed so much it could be considered a completely different game (it is, actually, but it's still based off Coins Galore). For all you guys know, I could have been working on it for six months already! But I haven't, I only started the level editor a few weeks ago. And I haven't even built the game yet, so there's still a ways to go.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 12:29
It's cheating in your mind! *crazy 40's alien suspense music*

Maybe a mod should sticky this, just a thought.

YavinB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 17:02
CoffeeCoder, Can I use models from lets say DarkMatter?

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 17:43
Quote: "If you so desire, you can work on something that's been your primary project for a while and just try to complete something within it"

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
@ YavinB, there be no rules here... for the most part.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 18:24
Uh-oh, I'm almost done and January isn't here yet! I better slow down if I want to win.

i like orange
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think that entries will be judged... but... that would make things a bit more interesting

Melancholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, i say thnigs should be judged aswell!, if we were competing then we would be moer motivated to finish are projects
lil marioman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 19:37
I don't think judging is practical. As long as you complete something (which was the main goal of this challenge anyways) you won.

Besides, it would be unfair for those who started on January 1st with an entirely new project versus those who started beforehand.

So no, the point of NaGaCreMo is not to beat everyone else, nor is it a competition. It's just something to motivate you - not something you do for fame/money.

YavinB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 19:56
Quote: "So no, the point of NaGaCreMo is not to beat everyone else, nor is it a competition. It's just something to motivate you - not something you do for fame/money."

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 20:09 Edited at: 28th Dec 2009 20:10
but aren't fame and money cool?

[edit]

if there were to be a competition, then the results should be based on voting. Just sayin'.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 20:31
Quote: "So no, the point of NaGaCreMo is not to beat everyone else, nor is it a competition. It's just something to motivate you - not something you do for fame/money."

I agree.

WIP for Blox 2.0 shall be up soon BTW.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 21:38
No judging. That's final. This is NOT a competition, and will not turn into one. There is no winning or losing in this event. This is just a fun thing to do to kick off the new year.

Quote: "Can I use models from lets say DarkMatter?"

Yup. You can use models from royalty free sites, DarkMatter, or create and use your own. It is entirely up to you. The same goes for all types of media.

lil marioman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 21:39
Quote: "No judging. That's final. This is NOT a competition, and will not turn into one."

Thank you.
Have you decided where to post the finished projects yet?

YavinB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2009 21:59 Edited at: 28th Dec 2009 21:59
Quote: "No judging. That's final. This is NOT a competition, and will not turn into one. There is no winning or losing in this event. This is just a fun thing to do to kick off the new year. "

Quote: "Yup. You can use models from royalty free sites, DarkMatter, or create and use your own. It is entirely up to you. The same goes for all types of media."

Ok.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2009 04:31 Edited at: 29th Dec 2009 04:32
Fine! I'll start my own competition called
GaCreMoBeThThOtOnGoOnRiNoAnWiBeJuSoAsToMaItAlMoAw
Game Creation Month (that is) Better Than The Other One Going On Right Now And Will Be Judged So As To Make It A (lot) More Awesome.
It has the letters "Rino" in it, which make it awesomer.
/jk

aaaaalright.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 29th Dec 2009 04:54
Quote: "GaCreMoBeThThOtOnGoOnRiNoAnWiBeJuSoAsToMaItAlMoAw"

Say it. I dare you.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2009 04:57
That is very hard to say, but I did it.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "GoOnRiNo"

I didn't notice that full phrase.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 29th Dec 2009 23:16
Well, crap. I just found out (in the most HORRIBLE way!) that my entire project is infected with the same virus that I thought I had removed from my system. Dear Neptune...

I gave the link to a friend of mine to download it, she did, ran it, and it promptly started opening up Internet Explorer (classic symptom of the trojan FakeAlert)...so I unknowingly infected her computer. Thank God I bookmarked the site on how to remove it...I really should have scanned the level editor though...God, why I am so stupid sometimes?!

This means my project now has to be cancelled.

YavinB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2009 23:25
Quote: "GaCreMoBeThThOtOnGoOnRiNoAnWiBeJuSoAsToMaItAlMoAw"

Good luck on that!

demons breath
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2009 23:58
Why must your project be cancelled? Could you not just copy over the code and suchlike - save as much as you can - and then continue from there?

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 30th Dec 2009 00:02
Nope. My entire project must be infected, but luckily not with the whole virus. My friend didn't get any of the symptoms I did and the virus is gone (or the fragment that was in it). However, this means it's still on my system, so anything I exchange with anybody will be somewhat infected. Thank goodness it's not the whole virus, but it's still enough to be annoying. She's since got it removed.

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2009 00:05
Quote: "My entire project must be infected, but luckily not with the whole virus."

The source wouldn't be infected though - when it's being compiled, the virus, which has likely implanted hooks into the Windows file caching system, is infecting the final .exe.

Athlon64 2.7gHz->OC 3.9gHz, 31C, MSi 9500GT->OC 1gHz core/2gHz memory, 48C, 4Gb DDR2 667, 500Gb Seagate + 80Gb Maxtor + 40Gb Maxtor = 620Gb, XP Home
Air cooled, total cost £160
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
If it hasn't infected the media too, you could just upload the source files n let us compile it.

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2009 00:15
In what way could media be infected? Aside from videos that redirect to malicious codecs? (which tbh is a little beyond the scope of what most malware can do - such files are often made by humans)

Athlon64 2.7gHz->OC 3.9gHz, 31C, MSi 9500GT->OC 1gHz core/2gHz memory, 48C, 4Gb DDR2 667, 500Gb Seagate + 80Gb Maxtor + 40Gb Maxtor = 620Gb, XP Home
Air cooled, total cost £160
AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2009 00:15
Quote: "Nope. My entire project must be infected,"

Surely the virus isn't infecting the text itself? Just copy and paste it into a new document...

i like orange
YavinB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2009 00:20
copy the code, paste it in a email then email yourself with it and wipe your computer.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 30th Dec 2009 00:32
Hmm, I guess I could email the code to me then. I'll do just that.

YavinB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2009 00:34
There problem solved.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Surely the virus isn't infecting the text itself?"

It is. and don't call me sherly.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2009 02:47 Edited at: 30th Dec 2009 02:48
Quote: "This means my project now has to be cancelled."

Didn't I say to format/reinstall in your virus thread? You can *never* be certain you removed a virus once it's been compromised. You will learn from this, believe me

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2009 02:59
Quote: "It is. and don't call me sherly."

I'm assuming this was a joke, but in case it wasn't, could you explain to me how the text in a text editor can be infected with a virus, and more so in such a way that copying it and pasting it would spread the virus?

i like orange
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 30th Dec 2009 03:02
Quote: "Didn't I say to format/reinstall in your virus thread?"

Yes, and next time I will listen to you! I truly thought I was safe because no traces of it were showing up in any scans, but I guess a fragment is hiding somewhere. I guess I'll format'reinstall tomorrow, because I don't have time tonight.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm assuming this was a joke, but in case it wasn't, could you explain to me how the text in a text editor can be infected with a virus, and more so in such a way that copying it and pasting it would spread the virus?"

That was purely an offtopic, nonrelated, unhelpful joke.

Melancholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, ive given in and started to work on some media for my project

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 00:52:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 00:52:39