Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / NaGaCreMo 2010

Author
User Banned
Posted: 30th Dec 2009 20:34
Okay, from what I can tell, by using the recovery CDs or partition my computer will be restored to its factory state. I can't find any information on formatting and reinstalling, only recovering. Will it format itself during the recovery process, and keep the default recovery partition?

I'm such a n00b when it comes to this.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 01:31 Edited at: 31st Dec 2009 01:32
well, here's tonight's progress on my level editor:
-added basic layout
-simple menu bar
-object browser that scans resource directory

tomorrow I'll add geometry editing and the 3d view!
(and maybe change my signature)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 01:36
Nice! What are you using for GUI?

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 03:17
bluegui. It's definitely worth the money to buy it...

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 05:32 Edited at: 31st Dec 2009 06:22
How much does BlueGUi cost? I've heard a lot of people here like it and I want to look into it for my editor (for the final version of it, that is).

EDIT: never mind, found out it's $20 USD. But I do have another important question; is it compatible with the 64-bit version of Windows 7?

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 08:50 Edited at: 31st Dec 2009 08:52
I redid the code that I had lost. Got some cool behind the scenes stuff going on. Collision, a bit of the AI, n stuff. Here's a screenie (not much visual stuff yet)

Yup, that's how the zombies will look (you'll be zoomed out more), pretty basic, but it'll be cool when a thousand of 'em are attacking you XD

Now I'm working on crowding AI... which'll be hard because I can't have sliding collision going for all of them, and they have to move as a group.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 11:54 Edited at: 31st Dec 2009 11:56
those are both looking pretty cool so far

Here's my project so far:

I've got movement and camera control in there, character collision and both health and wanted levels

Attachments

Melancholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh this is not good!, im gonna have to do a load of work to get to the standard of programs you guys are at
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 14:00
Quote: "
EDIT: never mind, found out it's $20 USD. But I do have another important question; is it compatible with the 64-bit version of Windows 7? "

I'm not sure, it should be, because it uses the windows api. the question there would be more of if dbpro works...
I could give you an exe to test, if you want.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 15:26
Blox 2.0 is on the WIP board with a small demo ready.

YavinB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 16:42
@thenerd

How do you have a menu bar?

Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
I, Maindric, pledge to finish a working demo within the first thirty days of 2010.

I plan on making a balance board like game. So, count me in.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 19:34
Okay Maindric, I'll add you to the list!

@thenerd:

I'd appreciate that! I'd like to test it out n' stuff before I spend $20 (although I may end up going with another GUI plugin someone's working on in the WIP boards called BBB GUI). My email is jeremy(dot)gardner01(at)live.com. Thanks!

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 20:17 Edited at: 31st Dec 2009 20:24
ok, I'm sending the compiled demos.

Quote: "@thenerd

How do you have a menu bar?"

that's just one of the things bluegui does...

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 21:11
Thanks! They ran great. I'll definitely purchase BlueGUI soon.

Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
I would enter, considering how fun it was when I did last year. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything to make... been starved of all ideas recently.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 31st Dec 2009 21:53
Well, have you got a project you'd like to re-do, or change something in? If so, then you may enter!

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2010 17:47 Edited at: 4th Jan 2010 18:23
yesterday's progress:
-added views
-skybox
-tabs for tools

[edit] got rid of the pic in my post, was annoyingly stretching the page...

Attachments

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 1st Jan 2010 22:14
Looking good! Is it grid-based or can you freely position objects?

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2010 01:30
neither yet, I haven't programmed that in.
when I do, though, it will be both, and you can choose. it will also be possible to just click a point in the 3d view to place an entity.although i'm having a little problem with the front and side views, because for the top I use a matrix for the grid, but for the side cameras, I need some way of flipping the matrix on it's side...

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Jan 2010 02:02
What you could do is just use a plain exported from a 3D modeler and subdivide it to have 100 segments (just like a standard 10x10 matrix). Then it would be as simple as rotating the object on its side in the side-view. Don't forget to set the object to show its wireframe form though.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
search the codebase for a memblock mesh plain creator by visigoth, it might help.

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2010 05:54 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2010 05:57
Alrighty, the game I'm working on right now is XNA. Just spent the couple weeks running through tutorials playing with animating through sprite sheets, and setting up physics with Farseer. The game is a design my friend's been working on for a while and made a prototype of in Game Maker 7, thus far called "Project: Da Hooch".

The story goes, you are a neurosurgeon who in the process of the economic crisis has lost everything and is now homeless.

The gameplay will sort of follow a Zelda II sort of format, in which you have a top-down view for traveling between levels, and then the levels themselves are side scrolling. However, in the overworld view, there will be minigames for getting food and such. This will be sort of a resource-management type of gameplay: you'll have to keep track of your health, your stamina (mainly recovered by eating), and also your sanity. Losing all sanity is not a condition under which you lose the game however, plot details of the story will change and minigames will become bizarre the more insane you are, and more straightforward (but still interesting and fun) if your little meter falls more on the "sane" side of things.

The game will be light and humorous, but through some of the humor we'd like to poke fun at some of the events of the past 8 years as well as point out some of the catch 22's of that we face when dealing with the homeless problem.

I attached one of our programmer-art sprite sheets, bonus points if you can guess who the character was inspired by.

Oh, and since I want to get some use out of my new copy of DBPro and DarkPhysics (and since this is a TGC thing), the WIP I'll actually be posting is for the DarkGDK version of my phyJump code(unless we can mebbe make a Geek Culture thread labeled: "THE NAGACREMO NON-CONFORMERS"?). You'll have an instance of a GravityManager class, which has instances of a GravityEnvironment class, which has instances of a PhyJumper class. Then you just have to call GravityManager.Update() each loop.

Attachments

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2010 15:25
Quote: "What you could do is just use a plain exported from a 3D modeler and subdivide it to have 100 segments (just like a standard 10x10 matrix). Then it would be as simple as rotating the object on its side in the side-view. Don't forget to set the object to show its wireframe form though. "
I was thinking of that, if not for the fact that you can adjust the size of the world...

@Nuero Fuzzy,
ok, I'll try that.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2010 19:29
I've got my game design plan...I won't go for something random, but it'll be a quick demo.

Engine: Unity3D (therefore, will not count)
Genre: Turn-based RPG
Based off of ideas for Abeyance (pre-cursor to starting Abeyance)

Each level you follow a system of clues to reach the boss and some clues to tell you how to beat the boss, using a primitive battle system.

A typical level might be layed out:

So for example:

Clue 1: What colour is Purple?
Clue 2: It's a dinosaur

To unlock door, what is the name of the enemy you must face?
A- Geoff
B- Ziltoid
C- Megatron
D- Barney

D is clearly the answer. The second set of clues might be:

Clue 3: Red and blue
Clue 4: Loud Noises

Question:
Your enemy is down, but he is not quite dead yet, what should you do?

A: Call chuck Norris
B: Ask for a triceratops
C: Does this taste like cyanide?
D: Call the Police

Clearly the answer would be to call the police.

The battle system is basic, due to lack of time, but this is what it should look like, with my AMAZING drawing skills:

Yes, chances are, the player will be a box...again, lack of time.

The battle weighs on the final attack - you weaken the enemy until you can do your final blow. However, the wrong choice means the enemy recovers and murders you.

This is attainable because when I had the demo version of Unity, I had the battle system already coded, sadly I didn't keep it, but it can be rewritten, as it was quite simple really. The demo will probably be 2 or 3 levels.

I'll get to work on it tomorrow.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Jan 2010 20:42
Sounds awesome, Sepp!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 02:29
Well, I've decided to just work on my level editor for NaGaCreMo. Working on it and finishing it and then starting the game engine just isn't possible for me in a month, especially since I want to use actual GUI and can't buy BlueGUI at the moment. So I'll get it to a very basic useable stage.

Currently I'm working on the Setup.INI file the program establishes, which is proving far more useful than I ever thought it was. Now by just modifying a couple of things inside of the external file I can import objects from anywhere I want, and set the resolution to whatever it needs to be... After I complete that it's on to basic object manipulation and then I'll post a WIP. Hopefully that will be tomorrow...

Melancholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Started mine today and ive got some done. Not much but im proud of it . It is a platformer of sorts, but instead of the traditional charecter ive replaced him(the charecter) with a ball!. Piccy attached, pleas tell me what you think

Attachments

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 19:05
Looking good! I'm actually making a game about a Marble as well, but there's a huge difference, so people won't think we've copied off each other.

Melancholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Looking good! I'm actually making a game about a Marble as well, but there's a huge difference, so people won't think we've copied off each other. "

Thanks , never actually considered making mine about a marble though 0.o, infact i just had a argument(a fun one) with my brother about the sphere, he kept calling it a ball . Anyway, CC do you have any images of your game i can see?, i dont see a W.I.P or anything, im pretty much just searching for inspiration on what to do with it next.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 19:13
Oops, I read "marble", not ball. I guess my brain just has those two words interlinked at the moment.

I don't actually have any screen shots of the game, because so far I've only got part of the level editor working. I'm trying to build a successful game engine and I figured I might as well do it with a project I'm interested in. I hope to post a WIP thread about the level editor either later today or tomorrow, so you'll be able to see what the levels will look like (at least in beta form). I'll probably also post some of the concept art as well, even though my artz skillz ar3 t3h suxorz.

Melancholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah okay, well i'll be anticipating your wip. I didnt relise there was a diffrence between a marble and a ball, isnt a marble a type of ball anyway?
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 20:11 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2010 20:12
I can post a mock-up of what I hope Martin to look like. This is a very basic drawing and I did it in GIMP because I'm too lazy to find a decent pencil and sheet of paper...

There'll be more in my actual WIP thread later on (once I get around to creating it).

Attachments

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 21:18
Recommitment:
I, Dar13, pledge to finish a completely bug-free and functional menu system and short demo of my game "WorldWarZ-The end is near" within the first 30 days of 2010.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 00:31 Edited at: 4th Jan 2010 00:32
Started my project, here's a teaser:

YavinB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 18:36
I have made about 50 games and didn't like any of them so I think im out.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 18:46
Aww. Well, okay. At least you tried!

At the current rate my project is going (haven't work on it in days...), I really hope to be able to complete the editor. I'm just getting busier with school work and dealing with other real-life issues at the moment.

YavinB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 18:55 Edited at: 7th Jan 2010 22:57
If I can make my game that I like within 2.5 weeks then I'll post it.

But I don`t think I can.
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 19:57
@Josh - Is that meant to look like a giant hand holding the planet?

[center]Literally nobody who isn't a retard is talking about 2012. -Drew Cameron
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
looks like a planet with a rocket flying around shooting pellets

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 21:59
Well yes I know that, but it also looks like the land mass forms fingers and a thumb while the satellite is an arm.

[center]Literally nobody who isn't a retard is talking about 2012. -Drew Cameron
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well yes I know that, but it also looks like the land mass forms fingers and a thumb while the satellite is an arm."

oh yeah, now i see that xD
awesome.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 23:07
Wow, that's weird...but no, it's not a hand holding the planet. It's just a land mass.

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 23:14
Oh...
I thought it was a cool and clever effect

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Wow, that's weird...but no, it's not a hand holding the planet. It's just a land mass."

you should claim its your high tech modern art peice, and you meant to do it.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 8th Jan 2010 20:35
Random question:

Is using 2D boxes in DBPro faster than pasting images? I seem to get a better FPS rate when using just standard 2D boxes in place of actual "GUI" images. Sure it doesn't look as good, but hey, if it's faster I'm all for it!

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
DBPro 2d commands and speed ?

Cloggy's DLL FTW. It's way faster than built in 2d commands

command list:

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2010 06:16 Edited at: 10th Jan 2010 06:19
Just captured two screenies. They don't look much different than before, but I've done a ton of server-side work and stuff under the hood. The software uses the Amazon AWS cloud filesystem, so the user's saves are safe and secure, and can be accessed quickly from anywhere in the world. I'm also adding an option to compress the saves to a single file to be backed up locally on USB key.

Senior Web Developer - Nokia

Attachments

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2010 06:18 Edited at: 10th Jan 2010 06:19
screen 2

Senior Web Developer - Nokia

Attachments

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2010 20:06
I,Mnemonix, pledge to finish a working [game\demo\general program] within the first thirty days of 2010.

I saw this thread, and started my game before posting - so I hope its still allowed

I started about 5 days.

Mnemonix

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 05:06:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 05:06:35