Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / NaGaCreMo 2010

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2010 20:26
I, Darkcoder, pledge to finish a working game within the first thirty days of 2010.

I thought I'd finish before new year's day, but apparently you can't finish a game in a week when you decide to implement lua so new deadline time!

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 01:02
...is there a cat attacking earth? 0.o

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 01:06
That looks really nice, Jeku, though I do have to ask what purpose that ~60px border is serving.

Athlon64 2.7gHz->OC 3.9gHz, 31C, MSi 9500GT->OC 1gHz core/2gHz memory, 48C, 4Gb DDR2 667, 500Gb Seagate + 80Gb Maxtor + 40Gb Maxtor = 620Gb, XP Home
Air cooled, total cost £160
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2010 05:46
Quote: "That looks really nice, Jeku, though I do have to ask what purpose that ~60px border is serving."

Which border are you referring to? There's the Windows border, the red border and the grey border that I can see. I'm not a designer and BiggAdd whipped the look up almost 2 years ago already.

Senior Web Developer - Nokia
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2010 17:19
I, baxslash, pledge to finish a working [game\demo\general program] within the first thirty days of 2010.

In fact the demo is done (see my signature) but I'm pledging to get the game done by Feb!

DARN that only leaves two weeks, TWO WEEKS!!! AAAAAGH!!

I'll try...

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2010 17:50
Quote: "Which border are you referring to?"

The red border. It doesn't look bad, it's just a little space inefficient to have a border like that for no obvious reason.

Athlon64 2.7gHz->OC 3.9gHz, 31C, MSi 9500GT->OC 1gHz core/2gHz memory, 48C, 4Gb DDR2 667, 500Gb Seagate + 80Gb Maxtor + 40Gb Maxtor = 620Gb, XP Home
Air cooled, total cost £160
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 12th Jan 2010 20:38
Thanks to those who have recently signed up! Can't wait to see everyone's projects!

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2010 02:03
Month of January not being as cooperative as I had hoped...still working, though!

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2010 03:58
I should have everything with my new computer settled down by the end of this week or the next. After that, there should be nothing stopping me from working on Swordfight.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jan 2010 17:39
Here we are, two weeks into 2010 (Twenty-Ten; that's how I say it! How do you say it?)! How's everyone's projects coming along?

I haven't had time to work on mine, I got busy in the real world with stuffs. :-\

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2010 18:01 Edited at: 14th Jan 2010 18:01
My level editor's been going good, aside from a few hiccups. Mostly been doing menu stuff, haven't made any serious models yet. I've just got a couple more things to do with loading objects and assigning them various attributes(currently working on setting up ragdoll physics for characters). The demo I'll be releasing for NaGaCreMo will not be the final version of the editor by a long shot, as I've since thought of several more things I want to add to it. It will really be just a customizable physics sim I guess.

I guess I should post a pic. Here's the screen for setting up compound collision objects for Newton physics. A character mesh like this would use ragdoll physics instead, but I haven't finished that screen yet.

Project is currently just over 5000 lines.

I will live forever or die trying.
My game blog

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 14th Jan 2010 18:21
5,000 lines?! Heh, that's a lot! It's looking really great so far Venge, keep it up!

I'm going to start working on my level editor again starting next Monday, and I'm going to completely re-write the whole thing, again. I got some tips over in another thread about a different way to approach the concept of writing a level editor and I'm going to use it, because it could really help me out in the long run. As soon as it's at a decent stage I'll let people know, but since I currently don't have the media I previously had it might take a little longer than I want it to.

lil marioman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2010 22:37 Edited at: 14th Jan 2010 22:38
My secret project is coming along nicely. I just need to debug some Newton physics.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 15th Jan 2010 00:48
Ooh, a secret project, eh?

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know if I'll be able to finish mine. Finals are coming up soon, and I have one in japanese (Ok on grammar, but the words on the test are selected from ~220 words, including ~70 kanji), and one in AP chem (on everything from stoichiometry to bond energies). I'll try to finish it casually, and maybe have a playable demo out, but I don't think I'll have a polished product soon.

Anyways, what I have so far is the makings of an engine able to support ~1000 zombies on screen at once, and support the "existence" of ~10000 zombies (not onscreen, and not necessarily individually, but still interacting with the world).

Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2010 02:00
Mine should be complete within a week. Its at just shy of 1200 lines now

Maindric
Years of Service
User Offline
So to many contributing factors, including but not limited to Work, School, College Applications, Scholarship Applications and then some, I regret to inform you there is no time in my schedule to keep my pledge. Now it seems as if I lied in that post... Ah well, life catches up to people fast at times when least wanted..

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2010 02:55
I vote that NaGaCreMo should include February.

Better yet, just make it NaGaCreYe 2010 so I'll be able to get done on time.

My game blog
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
create a game in the first year of 2010!!! yeah!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 15th Jan 2010 03:16
Lol @Venge & Neuro Fuzzy.

Don't feel bad about not being able to finish your projects, guys. The whole point of this was just to see how devoted you are to completing an idea, or even just starting work on it. It's a good things this is a no win, no lose thing, eh?

Y'all are doing/did fantastic jobs!

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Don't feel bad about not being able to finish your projects"

Hey! I can feel as bad as I want!

I still think I can get a cool idea/tech demo out, that's more proof of concept than anything. I was gonna work on it tonight but... HW :\

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2010 03:29
Well, I'm going back to school in four days, but then there's still 12 after that. I doubt I'll get too much schoolwork in the first two weeks of term, so I should be able to get physics done at least. It's just that ragdoll physics in Newton are being really finicky.

My game blog
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2010 05:23
Things not looking good over here...have a 3-day weekend, but I'll be spending it all in Death Valley...

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2010 10:01 Edited at: 16th Jan 2010 10:10
My system is almost ready for a real beta, but I would need testers who actually own the games the system supports so far. If someone who owns one of the following and has a few minutes free time could contact me, that would be great.

I just need you to backup a save game, move the save games from your hard drive to a safe backup somewhere, restore the saves from MyGameSync, then try the game to test whether the saves were properly restored and functional

If you notice the 'verified' field is only set for a small handful of the games so far. The unverified titles are supported by the system but not fully tested yet. Anyone want to try this out?

So far it only supports online backup to Amazon AWS. The app is written in C# and uses a PHP backend with MySQL database. The files are all stored and backed up on Amazon AWS. It's costing me a few pennies a month to develop, and that cost may rise depending on the number of people using the system, so I will be placing a simple ad in the app when it's completed.

EDIT:

That list cuts off the last few titles:

Tank Universal - Steam 0
TrackMania United 0
Unreal Tournament 3 0

EDIT 2: If you're interested, you can just email me at contact[at]mygamesync.com

Attachments

feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I've finally given up random hobbies taking up too much time. I feel a bit odd bumping my own 3D engine without working on it, so...

I, fighting_shadow, pledge to finish a demo within the first 30 days of 2010.

Also, I really gotta see what Jeku's been up to. Seems like I've missed some cool stuff lately.

Attached: A system I wrote in Emergence based off my DBP system for GUI. WARNING: CORNY JOKE! But the text files control everything, it's modular like everything I spend time on, heh. It was during Xmas though, so doesn't count for NaGaCreMo

Signed
------

Attachments

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2010 03:04
I've only just started.

I've got the basic level laid out, I need to bulk it up with a few models. The alien isn't my media, it comes from a Unity3D tutorial and I figured I'd use him as a sort of placeholder. I say sort of, because, this version will be dedicated to our Alien friend, Lerpz as the tutorial called him.

Because you've got to look for clues, it doesn't seem fair making them easy to see, so Lerpz has a torch attached...at the moment the light moves with his arm as he walks, I'll change it if it becomes annoying.

I have basic triggers working to give clues too.

(With the 2 clues found)

Also, don't expect anything big, this will be some very basic crap. I am very busy these days.

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2010 18:54
I've been writing base classes for handling animation objects and encapsulating initialization and management of relevant Farseer physics properties and updating positions and rotations, as well as making a level struct for the editor.

Screenshots are not very demonstrative at this point, and time is running out, so I'm proposing this:

Anybody want any music for their NaGaCreMo game? I'm back at school at need to start focusing my attention back on my actual major Feel free to email me or post here if you have a request for some tracks.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2010 23:19
I have a YouTube video showing the concept in action. Nowt special, but it's what I'm going for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm6NS1lRyKw

Music is from NGXMusical's page.

Though if BearCDP is so keen on music and practicing, have a look at the video and see if you can produce suitable title, level and boss/question themes. (just 3 tracks) If that's what you want to do, then that sir makes you a legend.

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 04:16
Well, my new computer is here and I've finished installing all the programs I use. Now it's on to the rush to finish something before the deadline!

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 04:17 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 04:17
Just gonna say right now that I may probably definitely not be getting my project done in time. I've run into a snag with the Newton wrapper (I've contacted tiresius so he can look into fixing it), and unless he can find the problem and fix it soon, I won't have enough time with being back at school to get everything done.

My game blog
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 04:30
Blargh.

I can't finish my project. I haven't even worked on it since like January 4th. I got busy with preparing for company, some school work, and then some random stuff that's not worth mentioning because, well, it's just not. There's no way in heck that I'll be able to work on it between now and January 30th. It seems ironic because I'm the one who posted this in place of zenassem (forgive me if I spelled that wrong). xD

Ah well. Next year, maybe, if I have time I might do something. This project was just too large for me I think.

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 08:12
Ha! I win!
Registered for the NYU Global Game Jam, now at least my chances of finishing a game this month are dramatically increased.

But, it's not for another week and a half, so Seppuku, I shall be sending some tracks your way this week if all goes according to plan.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 10:39
^Legend!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2010 13:49 Edited at: 20th Jan 2010 13:49
You can test this little early demo if you want. Just for general feedback on how it works. Though, it'll remain basic, so you'll have to excuse that.

Are the clues too difficult to figure out? Are they too difficult to find?

Also, I've put in level 2 with the title screen attached, just to offer something other than a game-over screen if you get the answer right. Controls are in the read me:

http://www.filefront.com/15389797/Lerpz%20Challenge%20Demo%20v0.4.zip

Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
0.0, i just realised 9 days left, and i done squat, ive been too busy doing other random stuff and its already nearly up.

Well, GL for those who are doing theirs, i doubt mine will be done in time xD.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2010 01:24
Technically, I've done a demo, I can call it quits can't I?

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2010 01:39
On the plus side, not entering my project here will mean that it remains secret! Unless anyone reads the posting competition thread...

But no one does that, right?

My game blog
Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 05:59
*bump*

So tiresius was way much faster than I had anticipated in fixing the problem, and I am now back on track for getting the load GUI done on time, though I might not have time for a physics demo mode depending on how much homework I get.

My game blog
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 08:20
I have completed my NaGaCreMo entry

Check it out at http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=164682&b=5

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 16:28
I need to change my entry to a working final of Beach Break (my Brick Break clone in Flash) because I am having difficulties with Blox 2.0 that I am afraid wont be resolved until next month probably.

Zeus

Herakles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2010 02:36
I have a feeling that I'm not going to finish anything by the deadline. Damn that real life thing!

Venge
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2010 02:47
Yea, I'm not going to be posting an entry here either. There are too many little things to be done and debugged between classes and work, so I'll just continue on at my own pace for now.

My game blog
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
I haven't done much... and I have a ton of homework... I guess I can just treat the program as I would an all-nighter chem assignment (not saying low quality). I still intend to have something playable done.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 29th Jan 2010 22:04
Sorry I haven't posted in this thread in a while everyone, I've been pretty sidetracked lately.

Anyway, I admire everyone's projects and think that you all did a great job, even if you can't complete it within the given time. The whole point of this is just to get you motivated, and it appears as though that goal was reached for many.

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." ~ Conan O'Brien
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2010 23:52 Edited at: 30th Jan 2010 23:53
I'm looking at moving the database and PHP sections away from my webserver over to Google Apps, because they offer a pretty good scalable solution for free (until it reaches too many queries). Right now I'm worried my webhost (Dreamhost) will cut me off if I have too many connections happening at once

I'll have to brush up on my Python, and it will be interesting using both Amazon AWS and Google Apps for a single project. Great learning experience

The website itself will still be hosted on Dreamhost.

Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2010 17:49
I've done some work, but not half as much as I'd imagined or hoped I'd wanted to do...I think that qualifies as me failing

I was hoping to get a demo up of the terrain of Hawaii, using Evolveds shaders, but I've hit obstacles and lost to much time to do anything useful. Basically, at the moment, its just an edited version of his demo, I haven;t really had the chance to do much to it.

Congrats to those who have kept their pledges =P

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 02:35
Mnemonix, that's an awesomely solid game, I love Galaga-inspired shooters. Is there anyway you could make the controls adjustable though? I'm on a Mac and have changed my registry to that the Windows and Ctrl button are reversed, so when I shoot on your game the Start Menu opens. What did you use to create it?

Upcoming post: my NaGaCremo.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 03:52
I lost, protip: finishing a game requires more than a week.

BearCDP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 06:56
Pshaw, you only need a single weekend. The Global Game Jam was freakin' sweet, my only regret is that I was unable to deliver some musics to Seppuku in time for NaGaCremo because of it.

Our team was called Fishkabob, and we made a game with the sort of uninspired title "Deceptive Platformer." The theme for this year was deception, and the constraints for our time zone were "Rain, a plain, or Spain".

The gameplay revolves around switching the orientation of the game and the control scheme depending upon different platforms you land on. Also, some platforms will shoot you off in various directions, and there are little tokens that will flip the scene upside down.

It's not a TGC product (it's Flixel and ActionScript 3), but here's a link anyways to our GGJ profile. Unfortunately, we're still working out the kinks of packing embedded .swf files in a single .swf you can play in your browser, so you won't be able to see the cool intro screen or the credits. BUT the gameplay is still there. Aside from chiming in on various design decisions, my primary focus was on audio and music. The music runs as a 4 bar loop that changes in time with the level change, accompanied by a short drum fill. I had plans to scale back the music if the player kept dying, but we ran out of time to flesh that out. The game was voted Best Overall Game at the NYU Jam site.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 10:37
Quote: "my only regret is that I was unable to deliver some musics to Seppuku in time for NaGaCremo because of it."

Do not worry about it. I've been extremely busy anyway. Though I got a demo out, despite how basic it is, so that's all that matters..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 04:27:19
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 04:27:19