Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] RPG Mod Official Thread

Author
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2010 03:47
On Youtube.

Multi-level demo whereby the player starts in level 1 and can go to either level 2 or level 3 and come back to level 1.

Level 2 contains a key to open a door in level 3. Within that room is a key to open a door in level 2 where there is a weapon. This weapon will be retained when returning to level 1.

This video shows the player going to level 3 and tries to open door. Then player returns to level 1 and goes to level 2 to retrieve a key. Once the player has the key he goes back to level 3 to unlock the door and retrieve the key to the gun room in level 2. After getting the key the player returns to level 1 and then moves on to level 2 once again and opens the door to retrieve the weapon. Once the player has the weapon he returns to level 1 where it is shown that he has retained the weapon and still has the ammo that he has left after using some of it in level 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlrKGhmrcQQ

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Add more adventure to your game -- use RPG Mod
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2010 04:21
Very nice work on the demo, Flatlander. Great to see we can traverse back and forth, and the ammo is retained throughout the process.

We'll get this demo posted with the others.

Update: RPG Mod v3.22

RPG Mod v3.22 is in the final testing stage. This version adds a couple of commands, as well as a bug fix.

Fixes:

There was an error with writing to text file and using the rpg_displaydoc command. due to using this command, it would not allow writing to text file. Flatlander found the error and corrected it.

Additional Commands:

Quoted from Flatlander's email to me on this:

Quote: "
While I've been tweaking Demo10, I decided I really want to be able to rotate the player. So I added the commands to rotate the player on either the x or y axis. This way when the player returns from a level he can then be facing a direction (say 180 degrees) other than the direction he was facing when he went to the new level."

Once the final test has been successful, we will email the RPG Mod users of the update availability.

- BlackFox

RPG Mod- Create a world full of adventure
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2010 21:31
Update: RPG Mod v3.30

Note: RPG Mod v3.22 was changed to v3.30

RPG Mod v3.30 has been released today.

This version fixed the issue of writing to text file. It appears when using the commands to write to text file, they were conflicting with the rpg_displaydoc command. The code and mod have now been fixed.

Additional:

* 2 new commands have been added to RPG Mod. Developers can rotate the player position on either the x axis or y axis. This way when the player returns from a level he can then be facing a direction (say 180 degrees) other than the direction he was facing when he went to the new level.
* Variable hud display- developers can now display the variables they specify in the rpg_setup.fpi in a hud of their choice.
* Added timestamp command to writing to text file.
* Slow motion has been added to the mod and documentation.
* Updated documentation to ensure all commands are current.

Instructions:

Registered users can download this version and install the FPSC-Game.exe and manual into their directory. The three main files (rpg_setup.fpi, rpg_clues_setup.fpi, rpg_text_setup.fpi) have not changed, so current ones will work. Ensure the RPG Mod manual is updated as it contains additional/updated commands.

- BlackFox

Leongamerz
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice mod I ever seen and I like slow motion!

Hello.There is my pics.And nice to meet all modeller,designer and many more
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2010 22:06
@BlackFox,

Please check your emailbox.

Thanks,

Seth Black

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2010 22:19
@ Seth Black

Received and replied.

@ Leongamerz,

Thank you. A lot of work went into the features. Glad to hear people find usage for it.

- BlackFox

Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2010 22:27
...many thanks, BlackFox.

Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2010 22:38
Is RPG mod free?

Putting fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2010 22:46
@ Seth Black,

Anytime.

@ Soviet176,

Yes, RPG Mod is free.

- BlackFox

King Of Khaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 01:07
I sent you an e-mail BlackFox. I wold really like to try this mod.

Cheers, Jake
------------------------------------------------------------
-The Clarkson Residence- (WIP)
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 02:41
Quote: "I sent you an e-mail BlackFox. I wold really like to try this mod."

I saw that. I was drinking my coffee as our server auto-processed your e-mail message. You should have a reply.

Enjoy.

- BlackFox

King Of Khaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 03:36
Got it, thanks.

Cheers, Jake
------------------------------------------------------------
-The Clarkson Residence- (WIP)
zzbrandon
Years of Service
User Offline
For some reason my game is crashing using mod version 3.30. Any ideas why I followed all instructions as best I could but I just can't figure it out. Every time I test game it just crashes.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 06:01
@ zzbrandon,

Quote: "For some reason my game is crashing using mod version 3.30. Any ideas why I followed all instructions as best I could but I just can't figure it out. Every time I test game it just crashes."

If you go to test the game and it crashes right away, then the error will be in either the rpg_setup.fpi, rpg_text_setup.fpi, or rpg_clues_setup.fpi scripts. This is the most common problem, where these scripts contain variables that are used for arrays. If you have the variable value set to more than what the array is set for, it will crash. Some lines of code must exist and can't be removed, even if you are not using the section. Also you will need to ensure if you are using huds for things like objectives, rank, etc, that the files exist in the correct location. Each system used is very delicate- a mistype in the coding will cause errors.

There is too much to try and explain here in the forum, otherwise you could be reading two pages of notes. I would suggest if you have not had the chance to download either demo 7, 8, or 9 from our site. You can see how I've setup the three files as well as huds, etc and you might spot the error on your end. If that does not help, then you can e-mail me directly and I can help you out.

- BlackFox

zzbrandon
Years of Service
User Offline
I have tried to no avil I even downloaded every single demo and couldn't get a single one to work. I am running windows 7 64 bit.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 20:29
@ zzbrandon

Quote: "I have tried to no avil I even downloaded every single demo and couldn't get a single one to work. I am running windows 7 64 bit."

I am a bit unclear from our last conversation via e-mail. I had sent you some questions to try and get a more specific picture to your problems. Can you run vanilla FPSC with no problems? If so, then your RPG Mod is either not configured properly, that is to say you might be missing key coding in your setup scripts, images or huds are not in place, a coding typo, etc. The scripts are very specific, including the rpg.ini file. You need to ensure the folder name in the rpg.ini file is pointing to the correct folder in each of the RPG_Mod sub-folders.

If you are unable to run even the demos, then I'm afraid it has nothing to do with RPG Mod. This mod has been developed on XP, Vista, and Windows 7 with no issues. The demos do run on all three OS listed, as Flatlander and I are very thorough to test each OS system before we release anything. All our developments we've made and sold this year have been running on all three OS with no issues as well. If it is an issue with your OS, I'm afraid we don't have a solution for you.

- BlackFox

zzbrandon
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I guess it's a problem I will some how have to figure out.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2010 05:31
Thanks for your interest in RPG Mod.

I have Windows 7 and had updated RPG Mod to v3.x under this OS. I have to say that I have had no problems with it and all the demos run as expected.

FPSC is 32 bit and must run from within the "Program Files (x86)" folder and not the "Program Files" folder. However, the demos can run from anywhere within the system.

Because I have had no issues with Windows 7 there is no way I can help out. I'm truly sorry about that but this sounds like something you will have to figure out for yourself.

I hope you are able to figure it out.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2010 06:50
Thank you for the information, Flatlander.

It is important to remember when you have an issue with mods, telling us developers "it crashes" and that is all you tell us will not make us know the reason why. We will need to know some specifics. When we are told specifics, then we know where to look right away. Tell us when it crashes- during a test, in a build; what you are using in the mod (example- inventory, clues, text documents, rank system, etc). Each system has specific commands, and some use arrays while others do not. The common reason why it crashes is because someone has five items in inventory defined, but the array value is either missed or has a lower value. There are other reasons, but the arrays are the main cause.

As far as why demos do not work, that has been answered. Flatlander has tested each one, as have we on the different OS here.

- BlackFox

Omegamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 13:09
Will there be a RPG Mod for v1.18 ?

Play to life,Life to play!!!
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 18:50
I hope so.

Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 19:27
I hope the water from 1.18 gets added.

By the way,I made this little logo because I didn't really like the original intro.

Omegamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 20:34
That looks so awesome.
I love you man!!!

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 20:47 Edited at: 29th Nov 2010 20:48
@ Gencheff,

Nice logo. I designed one for our developments.

Flatlander created the default splash as RPG Mod looks for that file. I'll check the manual and add that in there on how to change it if it was missed for those wanting to do it themselves.

I should get around to creating a more fitting splash logo for RPG Mod one day. Will need to squeeze that in my already hectic schedule.

- BlackFox

Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 21:02
No pressure .

I've been thinking of writing a side app which would go perfectly with RPG Mod,considering it has some key features other mods don't,but it's a bit early to give out info

I'm trying to get everything out of the mod.It has a lot of potential and functionality,and most people don't realize it sadly.

And in the meantime I should probably get working on VisualEFX 2 and see how that'll turn out.

BTW Anyone can use the supplied logo above if they feel the default doesn't quite hold up to par.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 21:11 Edited at: 29th Nov 2010 21:18
Quote: "I've been thinking of writing a side app which would go perfectly with RPG Mod,considering it has some key features other mods don't,but it's a bit early to give out info"

Nice. I too have been creating a couple applets, one to do with RPG Mod. Actually it is a plugin for our Mod-IT v2. Hopefully my apps don't cross into your territory

Quote: "BTW Anyone can use the supplied logo above if they feel the default doesn't quite hold up to par."

Since my time is rather limited at the moment, would you mind if I put that logo in the RPG Mod v3.xx archives replacing the old one?

- BlackFox

Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 21:17
Quote: "Since my time is rather limited at the moment, would you mind if I put that logo in the archive replacing the old one?"

Not at all.That was my initial idea.

Quote: "Nice. I too have been creating a couple applets, one to do with RPG Mod. Actually it is a plugin for our Mod-IT v2. Hopefully my apps don't cross into your territory"

I wouldn't be too worried.Best of luck with your projects

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 21:46
Thanks again, Gencheff. The splash screen is greatly appreciated. We've updated all the RPG Mod v3.xx archives to contain the new splash screen. We've also made a note of thanks on the RPG Mod main page of our site.

When the next release takes place and the manual gets updated, we will ensure credit for the splash screen also gets into the manual. If there is anything else we can do, let us know.

- BlackFox

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2010 22:24
Thanks Gencheff for the great looking logo. That's 1000% better than the thing I slapped together. Of course, I was assuming people would make their own. And thanks Gencheff for letting us use this as the default logo. Way cool and of course thanks BlackFox for adding it to the download for v3.x.

Omegamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2010 13:54
Will there be a RPG Mod that doesnt crashes if running under Win7?

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2010 15:35
Quote: "Will there be a RPG Mod that doesnt crashes if running under Win7?"

RPG Mod has been tested and runs just fine in Windows 7, Vista, and XP. If it crashes, it is because of improper configuration. It is not a plug-and-play mod; it requires some scripting knowledge and the ability to understand conditions and actions. The demos available also work under Windows 7, Vista, and XP.

If you have registered for RPG Mod and it is crashing on you, then you have an improper configuration somewhere (either in one of the scripts, an array is incorrect, etc) and you will need to email myself with the exact issue. If you are not registered and tried to run demos but they crashed (as discussed on this page above), then there is an issue with your copy/installation of Windows 7.

- BlackFox

Omegamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2010 15:41
Yeah it was with some demo games.
I´m also a registred RPG Mod user but then it also crashes

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2010 16:04
Quote: "Yeah it was with some demo games.
I´m also a registred RPG Mod user but then it also crashes"

Then I would suggest you send myself an e-mail with a description of the issue, or post the issue here. We can't see what it is doing- you need to tell us. For example, "I click on test and it crashes immediately. I'm using inventory, etc..." Try to tell us as much info- how your mod is setup, what your game folder is specified in the rpg.ini, that you have that folder in each of the 5 RPG Mod subfolders, etc...

I am going to take a guess that you are either missing commands in the three main RPG scripts, something is not in the right place, your rpg.ini file says the folder is this and you do not have that folder in the 5 RPG Mod subfolders, or one of the systems you are attempting to use is misconfigured.

- BlackFox

elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all, esp. Mssrs Flatlander and Blackfox and Ms Bluefox

Firstly I would like to congratulate all concerned with the new FPS Editpad with the new RPG commands. I felt like doing it myself at one point as Notepad++ was not doing it for me - but when I saw the number of commands in the new Editpad version, I was very glad that I did not attempt that. Well done on a time-consuming ardeous task!

I have been working on my ambitious 5-level RPG game for my son for 8 weeks and finally built the game last night. All levels were working well individually, although FPSC crashed last Thursday and I am now working on three machines simultaneously - it makes me look so in control! (When everything is so out of control!)

I have encountered the following problems:

1. The game stops "compiling" at 1.1GB level - I thought the limit was 2GB? How can I improve on this? I have read the How to build/compile your game using FPSC x9 if error occurs forum on the method explained earlier and will attempt that if all else fails.

2. The RPG files resident in the final game build are only those of one of the four levels that use RPG. Therefore when the player reaches the next levels, there is no communication as programmed.

3.Whenever I press "I" to see the contents of my inventory, the game exits. Is there a generic (common) reason or do you need more information from me?

I run RPG_Mod 3.30 and FPSC 1.171009, the machine that did the compiling runs Windows XP Professional on Intel pentium Dual E2180 CPUs with 2GB RAM and a GeForce 8500GT Graphics card.

I truly am in awe of your accomplishments with this mod. I believe this mod is the affordable future of game-based learning and teaching. But more about that later.

Thanks

Eugene
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2010 15:11
Hi Eugene,

I am really sorry that you are now having issues with your game.

I have not made a multi-level game because I have been busy with the mod and editpad and therefore I'm not sure if I could help. However, blackfox has made two or three games so far so hopefully he will be able to help you. I am sure he is going to want to communicate with you by email. He will let you know what he will need from you.

I am now starting my own game and because I know how volatile fpsc can be I will be holding my breath the whole time. One thing I have noticed with the map editor for fpsc is that if one reworks a map level over and over again, it eventually gets corrupted and can start crashing for no apparent reason. I'm not saying that is your situation but this is what has happened to me in the past before RPG Mod.

Thank you for the kind comments and I hope this will work out for you. I understand that your time is valuable and that I am sure your son is anxious for this game to be completed.

Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2010 15:38
@elbow

Might I suggest using the older version of RPG Mod.For some reason 3.30 gives me problems with animations and such , so I used 3.20 and everything was fine.

Although I myself haven't made many multi-level games,nor did I encounter problems,I suggest you navigate through the levels with RPG Mod's commands for level switch and not winzones or objective=x in entities.Build all levels as a whole,not seperate into different games. (that is unless you are already doing that).

About the cap issue,when you say it stops at 1.1GB does that mean it crashes or just doesn't continue and build progress is 'paused'.
You might want to look underneath the loading bar and see if the current process is for Lightmapping or something along these lines?

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2010 16:58
@ Elbow

I apologize ahead of time for writing a novel to you

I can certainly testify to the frustrations of building a multi-level game and finding out there are issues. For example, one of our WW2 developments would not build past the 5th level. We would do individual builds successfully and could not figure it out until someone told us that it was a cap. Once that was addressed, we attempted it again, only this time the issue was different. For some reason we can't load a saved game. It is only in our WW2 game- the SciFi, Egyptian, fantasy developments we have underway save and load just fine. So we had to revamp the WW2 game and add "save points" which allow the user to load from these small levels. We at first thought it was the mod, but that was dismissed as it did the same thing with the default FPSC. The nearest we can figure is there is some media that is causing the issue. With that said, we've had to be creative to finding solutions to something that no one seems to be able to answer.

Now, as far as your issues and questions, I shall attempt to provide you with some insight/answers.

Quote: "1. The game stops "compiling" at 1.1GB level - I thought the limit was 2GB? How can I improve on this? I have read the How to build/compile your game using FPSC x9 if error occurs forum on the method explained earlier and will attempt that if all else fails."

Yes, there was a thread on how to help reduce the build-cap issue. I have not had the issue myself. The highest I've hit was 1.2 GB on a level, but never have hit the max allowed. Regardless whether you use RPG Mod or vanilla (default) FPSC, the cap remains.

Quote: "2. The RPG files resident in the final game build are only those of one of the four levels that use RPG. Therefore when the player reaches the next levels, there is no communication as programmed."

I am not too certain I understand this correctly. Are you saying that RPG Mod works only in one level but not the others? If that is the case, check to ensure that you have specified your clues, objectives, text documents correctly. What I mean is ensure that any objectives that use these commands (example: rpg_objectiveuseinlevel=1,rpg_inwhichlevelisobjective=1) are set correctly. There is an explanation and example of this in the RPG Manual where I outlined how to work with multiple levels. If your objectives all point to level 1, then that will be why.

Quote: "3.Whenever I press "I" to see the contents of my inventory, the game exits. Is there a generic (common) reason or do you need more information from me?"

When the game exits, do you see any text that might say you are missing a category, or there are no contents? I've had that happen once or twice before, and I ended up finding my error in the rpg_setup.fpi script, where I mislabeled a few items into the wrong category. Another thing is if you have 10 items defined in inventory, but your array was initialized to a value of 8, it will crash.

My wife and I have successfully completed a total of 15 developments since using RPG Mod for private clients. I know from all the hard work Flatlander put in plus our pestering him to consider some fresh ideas to add have made this mod very enjoyable for us. It can be frustrating some days; other days it is great to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

If you still have questions and need some help, please feel free to either post here, or send me an e-mail and I will set time aside from my schedule to assist you.

- BlackFox

elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Flatlander, Gencheff and BlackFox

Many thanks for your replies to my post.

@Flatlander
- Yes, one map/level is hosting most of the action and has been "under construction" for 9 weeks on average 8 hours a day, so it could be that.
- Secondly, my son is now hooked on FPSC (one of my aims with the program) and he enjoys designing his own scenes more than actually playing anyone else's (like Dad)

@Gencheff
- I use rpg_gotosetlevel 99% of the time when I use RPG in a scene.
- I do not understand what you mean by "build all levels as a whole" Could you please explain? I'm sorry if it's a stupid question.

@BlackFox
- I'd rather read a novel with comprehension, than try to dissect a poem for meaning.
- I am also unable to load a saved game, so I'll follow your advice in that respect.
- It is my first attempt at FPSC, so I have used only inventory and chattype1, so I will investigate the inventory setup. The setup.ini file copied into the game path only points to the level that uses RPG-Mod - could this be the reason why only one level uses the rpg_mod and the rest do not?
- The last issue: Thanks, the message is Category icon not found and in the game path I find that the rpg_setup file points to huds\rpg_modv320|backpack01_menu.png Should this image file not be copied somewhere into the game path?

I have reread the RPG-Mod documentation that I have collected and am once again struck by the time and effort you and Flatlander have put in. Thank you.

Eugene
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2010 18:16
@ Eugene

Quote: "The setup.ini file copied into the game path only points to the level that uses RPG-Mod - could this be the reason why only one level uses the rpg_mod and the rest do not?"

It would not be the rpg_setup.fpi, but the rpg_clues_setup.fpi where it will tell the mod what to use for what level. For example, here is a snippet from my WW2 Game rpg_clues_setup.fpi:

As you can see, I have defined objectives and quests for each level, and they all point to which level they belong to. I did not post the entire script, but rather showing only four levels. Again, notice the script points to where my huds are, and you may need to change your script to match.

In each level at the start marker, I have an init script for my keys to activate certain RPG elements. Here is the script for Level 1, and is the template for each level (I just modify anything pointing to Level 01 and replace with the level I'm using it for):

Quote: "the message is Category icon not found and in the game path I find that the rpg_setup file points to huds\rpg_modv320|backpack01_menu.png Should this image file not be copied somewhere into the game path?"

Here is the rpg_setup.fpi file for my WW2 game. Remember I use most, if not all items including rank, experience. If you are not, disregard the ;rank system lines. The main thing to look at is how I define my category, how I define my items, and ensure my array variable (:rpg_create_invmaxnumber:rpg_invmaxnumber=10) and (rpg_numberitemsincategory=10) equals the number of instances of :rpg_addinvitem exist.

As you can see from this line:

:rpg_addcategory:rpg_catname=Backpack,rpg_catdesc=Items I need/find on my mission.,rpg_cattype=1,rpg_caticonloc=rpg_mod\huds\ww2_bf\backpack01_menu.png,rpg_caticonx=120,rpg_caticony=715,rpg_caticonscale=75

It tells RPG Mod that the category icon I am using is at the path specified. If that file is not there, you will get the *Category icon not found* message and then the game closes. So you have to check your paths to all your icons, huds, etc to ensure they are either in the RPG_Mod\Huds\<yourgamefolder> or RPG_Mod\Images\<yourgamefolder>, or specify the path if elsewhere.

Quote: "I am also unable to load a saved game, so I'll follow your advice in that respect."

It can be frustrating. Like I said, we can save AND load our SciFi and Egyptian developments, but not our WW2. I've swapped RPG Mod with vanilla FPSC and another mod and it's the same thing. So it leads me to believe that it is not the mods, but some media causing the issue. Just have to be creative when finding work-arounds.

Hopefully this gives you a bit more help when troubleshooting why the elements work in one level and not the others, or why RPG Mod will crash right away if critical info is missing or incorrect. Again, if you need further help, all you need to do is post here and I'll get to you. I do keep tabs on this thread daily, so it is no problem.

- BlackFox

elbow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 08:58 Edited at: 8th Dec 2010 20:38
Thanks BlackFox - I'll work through these and let you know.

"I got it I got it," he sings while swinging his arms.

I rechecked all the rpg files but I knew I was careful when I wrote them. The clue was that the setup.ini file pointed to only one rpg folder in the game build, where each of my levels had its own set of rpg files within the rpg_mod folder. (See attached composite screenshot)

So... each build game has to have all the levels' rpg_mod commands in one central rpg_text_setup.fpi, etc. file. And now all works!

I wonder if this was what Gencheff was referring to?

Again thanks to everybody for their input. rpg_mod rocks!

Eugene

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 21:00
You only have to setup RPG_Mod in the Files\ folder of FPSC, or wherever you install your FPS Creator. When you build your level or game, it will copy what is required into the \MyGames\... folder for your build, including RPG_Mod. I have done that too a couple of times. Noticed an error and went to edit the RPG_Mod contents inside the \MyGames folder instead of where I was suppose to be.

Glad to know my information was helpful and clear enough to follow.

- BlackFox

Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 21:27
Yes this was what I was referring to.I appologize for not having the time to explain in detail,but I see you've already resolved your problem with the help of BlackFox , so my help is not needed

By the way BlackFox,Flatlander told me that there will be an ability to write to file from a variable in the next release.Don't mean to rush or anything , but do you have any dates planned for the next release?

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 22:29 Edited at: 8th Dec 2010 22:42
Quote: "By the way BlackFox,Flatlander told me that there will be an ability to write to file from a variable in the next release.Don't mean to rush or anything , but do you have any dates planned for the next release?"

Update: RPG Mod v3.31

RPG Mod has the capability to write to a file. Since we can include the timestamp and normal text to be written, we added the feature to also write the value of a defined variable to the file. You will find an example in the manual under the section Write to File. Special thanks to Teacher for making the request and testing the release for us.

This release contains the updated EXE and updated manual for RPG Mod v3.31. Those that have their account information can login and download the newest release.

- BlackFox

Teacher
Years of Service
User Offline
It's me that should be saying Thank You!
The mod as a whole is excellent, offering some very useful - and adaptable - tools. However the ability to write a game variable to file, then retrieve using a third party app opens a whole raft of creative possibilities to record progress in games.
Thanks to Blackfox for the mod and the variable writing addition!

There is no pain you are receding, A distant ship's smoke on the horizon
You are the only coming through in waves
Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2010 12:42
Excellent! Now I can continue work on the Nazi Zombie System and finally get the achievements headache off my list.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2010 07:44 Edited at: 11th Dec 2010 19:01
[Modified the question]

I'm curious, is anybody using the talkbox feature using player response? [modified]If not have you tried but then not used it? If so, why did you drop the feature?[/modified]

Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2010 13:39
I haven't tried it myself yet,but I'll give it a go and give some feedback.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2010 19:24 Edited at: 11th Dec 2010 21:32
@Gencheff

I modified the question. I was just wondering if there was enough people using it and who are having difficulties to warrant my making a tutorial. I actually wasn't trying to find out ways I can change the look or design. The design is how I see most RPG games; with a "talkbox" generated. I placed the talkbox at the top just like LUA a well known commercially used scripting language. Response text box is on the bottom for the player to respond.

The algorithm I use allows for keywords. However, the player, in the current version, is required to spell the keywords exactly as they are listed in the setup file. After thinking about how many gamers actually can't spell very well, I decided to incorporate an algorithm known for years and years as "soundex." This will be in updated version 3.40. The player can misspell or mistype a keyword and it will still be accepted. Take for example the following spellings: enginear or enginer or egineer. All three would be accepted as the keyword for "engineer." Along this same line, if the player uses punctuation marks at the end of the keyword it will now be ignored. In the current version the punctuation mark would be included in the keyword that the player had typed and of course this would not be accepted unless you indicated possible variations of that word in the setup file.

Talkbox with player response is somewhat complex and can be confusing. I was just wondering what difficulties are being had by those trying to use it.

Just so those who can't get it to work, it does work. I use it myself.

Gencheff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2010 19:39 Edited at: 11th Dec 2010 19:40
Quote: "After thinking about how many gamers actually can't spell very well"

Hahahahaha...that made my day .

Now I personally don't find it confusing,but yes some people may have difficulty understanding it.

It's a very good idea to incorporate this algorithm,as you know better than me probably it's very efficient.

However I have a bit of an issue with something else.For some reason after updating to 3.30 and above the animations on characters are very fast(almost twice the default ones).I read the manual and found a command which slows down the animation,but it doesn't work,which leads me to a conclusion that it's not a scripting issue.

Any input on this,or am I doing something wrong?

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2010 21:48
I still continued to use sync rate in RPG Mod. It is found in the rpg_setup.fpi file. If rpg_syncrate is not set at all it defaults to 60. This is why the characters are moving so fast. I set the syncrate to 1.

:rpg_initsetup:rpg_syncrate=1

Don't be alarmed that the FR is 34. It is still timer based. And everything else moves along quite well. If you don't like the setting of 1 then try one of the following values:

2 = sync rate 38
3 = sync rate 42
4 = sync rate 46
5 = sync rate 50
6 = sync rate 54
7 = sync rate 58

If rpg_syncrate is not present then the default will be 60.

Lee had set the sync rate to 0 I believe and I commented it out. However, I think I will test it at 0, comment out the RPG Mod settings and see if this would be better anyway. When I integrated RPG Mod into v117, I was simply inclined to retain rpg_syncrate. I'll let you know how this works out and I might delete rpg_syncrate in v3.40.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 07:07:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 07:07:24