Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2012 21:40 Edited at: 19th Jun 2012 13:59
I changed the terrain texture, and added a little something to the header of the console to cheer myself up when I'm trying to debug pathetic coding errors:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=2362972

TheComet

Attachments

Login to view attachments
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jun 2012 22:51 Edited at: 12th Jun 2012 22:51
Quote: "I'm aiming more for a Diablo game, only with 6 hero units instead of just 1. There will also be a way to gather resources and build things, but I don't think it's going to be central. But hey, the game is still very open to anything, I'm not entirely sure what to do with it yet."

Kind of along the lines of the original Dungeon Siege then (as far as the rpg portion)? From a game play aspect that could be a little hard to pull off... Micromanaging all of those characters could become quite difficult, unless the equipment and skills aspect was greatly simplified. Plus, controling 6 characters at once in a fairly fast action situation could be difficult for the user as well. I suppose at this point in development the functioning engine takes presidence, but in the final product gameplay is the most important aspect, so you'll have to start following a path at some point I guess that also depends on how far you travel with the project to, since you weren't sure how much you would put into it... Eh well. We'll see! Essentially any choice could turn out really cool.

Fluttershy What are you doing up there?

swis
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2012 02:59
Oh that's good, I've been thinking of lots of abilities unique to each of the Mane Six, and how they could be used.

Sad;y it's too late to tell you now, just got off the night shift. Will assemble a GDoc of ideas for you tomorrow.

For now, we may have a theme song. I can get Jeff to make edits if you wish:
http://i.minus.com/1339629625/bpjSa51mLN_G6BMUUAyyYQ/dbvnGgV5MTbBXS/Britain%20Fallout%202_2.mp3
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2012 08:04
I love the base and rhythm in that one. These are just my feelings, but I think that the tune is a bit out of place. I think if the tune were more ambient (perhaps just use 2 or 3 chords and have them dimly transition) it would be far more suitable. What do you think?

TheComet

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2012 12:49
Hi
I can't find a PMV, a parody on lady Gaga based on season 1 episode 20.

«It's the Pony, pony me this, pony me that» — Bronies
«I sell apples and apple accessories» — Applejack
Derpy delivers: watch?v=g4Kgz4Us_RI
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2012 16:03 Edited at: 13th Jun 2012 16:03
Woah, Jeffthestrider is making music for your project, CG? The filename implies that this was intended for a certain other project of yours
That's pretty awesome!

Random vinyl scratch!
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 00:44
He was doing me a favour. I also have two bronies I can call up to try and get them for modelling work, plus one or two that may do concept art.

I was also thinking that we could have a guy do a full soundtrack for it. I know someone who I can get to do that. I'm still working on a GDoc for ideas and suchlike.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice avatar RF

swis
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 12:53
@ CoffeeGrunt

That's awesome, you're a very organised guy.

@ all

*squee* I just got invited to participate at the next Pon-E3! Unfortunately I'll be in Australia at the dates they proposed, so I'll have to make sure I have an internet connection there.

TheComet

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " *squee* I just got invited to participate at the next Pon-E3! Unfortunately I'll be in Australia at the dates they proposed, so I'll have to make sure I have an internet connection there."

That was quick! I think this publicity has removed the option of not finishing for you I'm bound to become a contributer... sounds like a lot of fun! At the same time I'm a little hesitant because of the open source shooter proect ... I know I just won't give it up but it came at a personally bad time for me and I was't really able to contribute as I had promised. You don't need my mucky code in there at the moment, but as the project grows... I suppose we don't really have many (pronounced) bronies who know DBPro BASIC. You can tell I'm really thinking about it

swis
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2012 23:43
@ CoffeeGrunt

Would it be possible for you to contact a good modeler you know to get a few good pony models into this game?

@ all

TheComet

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Would it be possible for you to contact a good modeler you know to get a few good pony models into this game?"

I think you should try it on your own... After all when I post help I get the same response.

_!!!!_
,0~U -Well I do say, its been quite a fancy forum for
__-____TheZachadoodle.________________________________
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 02:23

(the video is not related to the contents of the latest post(s) in any way )

[Pinkie Pie demands to be scanned in better quality than the crappy cellphone photo! But that'll have to wait until tomorrow...]
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 14:49
Zack, I'm helping Comet make this game. I also have a couple of modellors on tap, one has offered to make a generic placeholder pony for us.

Still reading away at your design document and gathering ideas for the game, I'm really excited to see this off the ground. Working on getting my dA fixed, then I can get a message out and get us some exposure.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 15:42
@ Coffee

Sorry about last night, my internet just gave up on me.

I read through the document you sent me and I really like the idea with the cloud. I'm assuming you have a plot thought out on how to explain where it originated from, and I hope you have the cloud be a central part and have it extend over the entire story. Most of it resonates with what I was thinking, which makes me wonder if you can read my mind?

I was thinking we could insert some cool sub plots here and there. Some ideas would be:

-Defeat the dragon (Dragonshy episode)
-Get rid of invading Parasprites
-Defend Appleloosa from that tribe
-Perhaps retrieve some important items from the Everfree forest?
-A stealth mission. Something along the lines of setting up a trap without the enemies knowing (Fluttershy solo mission)

I have two more things to note. The first you've probably already read in the DD - I'm aiming for a pretty dark atmosphere (not exactly grim dark, just dark).

The second thing is that for gameplay's sake I don't want to have all of the mane 6 together in any of the missions, except for the very end one where they defeat [insert villain here] and perhaps one other mission somewhere.

This is why I was wondering if it would be possible to have everpony captured at the very beginning (except for Twilight), and then have most of the game revolve around saving the mane 6 in order to use the Elements of Harmony. After they're all saved, we would have to come up with excuses to not use some in the missions leading up to the final battle.

I was also hoping to have a solo mission for every pony.

The ability ideas you have are almost exactly the same as mine. I'll write the ones I have down and send you a link so you can see what I thought about.

Cheers!

TheComet

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2012 01:41
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2012 08:38 Edited at: 22nd Feb 2018 02:32
[deleted]
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2012 14:23
@ CoffeeGrunt - I sent you an e-mail to the address you specified on TGC

Quote: "How big of a team do you have working on this?"

We have a few people doing bits and pieces:

-Carter (good friend of mine, I bounce my ideas off him)
-Phillip (web developer and major in computer science. He's making the website)
-CoffeeGrunt & Co (Storyboard, models)

TheComet

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2012 13:58
It's time for another epic pack of pictures! This epic pack is a compilation of all images from a really cool artist who goes by the name mysticalpha. All credit goes to him : http://mysticalpha.deviantart.com/

This artist has a very unique style of drawing. It reminds me a lot of spyro for some reason.

Here's the pack (right-click --> save as to save). Download it while you can, it will only be up for a week or so!

http://0xff.avxc.net/mysticalpha_epic_pack.7z

TheComet

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 00:30
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 22:27 Edited at: 21st Jun 2012 22:27
That was a nice comic.

I'm working on a fog of war system. It proved itself to be very resource heavy, so I had to pre-process a lot of values and store them in arrays instead of calculating them on the fly. It now works at an acceptable frame rate with 50 units.

I still have to make it so higher grounds aren't revealed from below, and I'll have to smooth out the colour values a bit as well in order to get rid of those jagged edges.

TheComet

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 22:56 Edited at: 21st Jun 2012 22:59
That specific effect really reminds me of the spotlight lighting the Diablo games(1 and 3) utilize at a close range in dim areas.

You can kind of see it here in Diablo 1. Your version is, of course, altered by the RTS component, such as the black out areas which have never been revealed. In that way it reminds me of what Sid Meier's Civilization. The reason I compare it is that it looks almost identical in the given areas. Plus both of those games come from your desired catagories.(well close enough with civ ) Very nice job! I actually prefer the faded edges of "current" view you've added to the gradual ones used in Diablo 1 & 3. Looks like a good mix of the concepts!
Quote: "I'll have to smooth out the colour values a bit as well in order to get rid of those jagged edges."

I don't know how it works real time, but if you're currently just marking various map spots as revealed or unrevealed you could replace it with an alpha component. (I think DBPro stores boolean values as bytes anyways) Then if you blurred the effect between spaces when drawn, you could have a very smooth reveal effect. I have no idea how exactly how you're doing it though, so don't mind me if that doesn't apply.

swis
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2012 23:14
Reminds me of Age of Empires I and II actually. Where the fog of war is black, and when you clear it the map itself is revealed, but you can only see enemy activities (troops & new buildings etc.) on parts that are actively "lit" by the sight of your buildings and units in a circle around them. The radius depends on the type of building, for example watch-towers and scouts have a bigger "radius of sight" or whatever the heck you'd call that
Looking back at the screenshot, is that kind of thing already in there? the circle surrounding the pony looks bright, the terrain to the right is slightly darker, and it's black on the left...
I bet WC3 or SC2 or whatever do that like this too and it's 100% obvious how it works and my first paragraph is not really useful.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2012 15:18
@ CoffeeGrunt - I need you on Skype.

@ Swiss - Thanks! The way I do it is I wrap a grid mesh over the terrain and edit the alpha channel of the diffuse values of every vertex according to the player's distance.

Quote: "Looking back at the screenshot, is that kind of thing already in there? the circle surrounding the pony looks bright, the terrain to the right is slightly darker, and it's black on the left..."

Yep, that's already built in

TheComet

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2012 01:18 Edited at: 24th Jun 2012 01:18

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline

Is that pre-rendered lighting underneath twi?

Quote: "@ Swiss - Thanks! The way I do it is I wrap a grid mesh over the terrain and edit the alpha channel of the diffuse values of every vertex according to the player's distance."

So does that mean the map is based on a heightmap that is duplicated and textured accordingly?

swis
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2012 09:12
@TheComet
How did you made waypoints and collisions? A*?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2012 00:51
@ CoffeeGrunt

Finally fixed that horrible GUI bug! It was so simple, funny how it's always the easy things that get you.

The camp has internet, so we can continue as planned.

Quote: "So does that mean the map is based on a heightmap that is duplicated and textured accordingly?"

The map is a .X model and the fog of war is just a procedurally generated mesh (the terrain object has no influence in how the fog of war looks like).

Quote: "How did you made waypoints and collisions? A*?"

I use an 8-directional A* algorithm combined with ray casting.

TheComet

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The map is a .X model and the fog of war is just a procedurally generated mesh (the terrain object has no influence in how the fog of war looks like)."

ahhhh... Same result I suppose. (although you can probably save on polygons)

Will we be able to see your presentation (or whatever to that effect) at pon-e3 as non-attendees? You claimed you had some sort of plan...

swis
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2012 02:47
Sent you a rundown of the story I have planned so far Comet, it's in your EMail inbox, let me know what you think.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2012 08:59
pon-e3 is a joke or real?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2012 10:37 Edited at: 26th Jun 2012 10:38
@ CoffeeGrunt - I responded to your e-mail.

Quote: "Will we be able to see your presentation (or whatever to that effect) at pon-e3 as non-attendees? You claimed you had some sort of plan..."

Yep, I've set up a live stream which you can watch in your browser. We'll be streaming on Saturday, 14th July 2012, 12:00 PST (midday). I'll post the exact link here when it's time.
Quote: "
pon-e3 is a joke or real?"

It's real. - http://www.equestriagaming.com/2012/06/announcing-pon-e3.html#more

TheComet

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2012 17:31 Edited at: 28th Jun 2012 17:37
I am doing this:

~1300 faces now, incomplete

Attachments

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2012 04:35
Hmmm, are you doing it for anything in particular, because me and Comet would love a modeller who can work to that level of quality.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2012 11:27 Edited at: 29th Jun 2012 22:57
Found detail view of building. Jeez, it is full of details! I have to rebuild my model.

Quote: "are you doing it for anything in particular"

Celery! I am just having fun! I'll post model somewhere here when is done.

edit 1. Updated image. Fun thing is that 1200 spent on strange wooden things with balls on second floor. Model is incomplete.

edit 2: SHOULD I MAKE A GAME MODEL OR CGI MODEL?

Attachments

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 04:24
@ CoffeeGrunt - Can you send me an exact list of all of the people who want to participate at Pon-E3 from your side? I need to know their name and their function (concept artist, modeller, etc.)

Twilight can now attack and has a teleport ability. Enemies have a very basic attacking AI implemented which again can be controlled via external scripts.

@ mrHandy - Nice model! You'll have to talk to CoffeeGrunt about what to make since he's in charge of the storyboard.

TheComet

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 11:42
@TheComet
I think Town Hall anyway useful model. So, what do you think, should I optimize it to LOW-poly model? Or it could be used for close 3rd person views?

And still I must complete this to advance to next model.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 12:43 Edited at: 1st Jul 2012 12:47
Hi mrHandy

Here's a small program I made so you can preview the models you make : https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/2369176

Here are the details for scenery objects:

-6k tri poly limit
-1024x1024 texture limit
-center coordinates should be positioned so it's level with the ground

There should also be a low poly version of the model which has 1/4 amount of polygons and a 256x256 texture limit.

Texture layers are:

-0 --> Diffuse
-1 --> Normal map
-2 --> Bump map
-3 --> Emissive map
-4 --> Specular map

TheComet

Attachments

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 16:20 Edited at: 1st Jul 2012 16:21
Quote: "-1 --> Normal map
-2 --> Bump map
-3 --> Emissive map
-4 --> Specular map"

Seriosly? I thought you'll use cell-shading. MLP is not a Crysis.

Quote: "center coordinates should be positioned so it's level with the ground"

You mean center-bottom of object is at {0,0,0}?

ALSO:

Attachments

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 20:01
I don't get the problems...it's a cartoon...
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2012 21:34 Edited at: 1st Jul 2012 21:38
Problem is that I cant make EXACT copy of Town Hall because it is RANDOM! I can only make a simple average of all screw ups

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 12:32

Support a charitable indie game project!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 12:43
I tell you all, ponies are not good.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 12:50
Benjamin: HAHWHAHA xD

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 21:43 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2012 21:44
I started a thread in 3d chat, I'll post models there. On these days I will be very busy so both models will come somewhen on this week.

@TheComet I recommend you to start a wip thread.

GIMME YOUR PONIES

Attachments

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2012 23:46
Ура, товарищи! Всем борща, посоны!