Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 3D fighting game - Dark Dragon

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2011 15:56
5000 is not that much for a game like this. Most of the FPSC characters have much higher counts.

I wouldn't worry about anything less than 10,000 at least... especially as you only ever have two on screen at any one time!

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2011 16:16
I think I'll keep it like that. Only 2 characters at one time.
The poly count I mentioned is only for the skin and pants. Extra props, like hair, arm-shin protectors, increase the total count. I think that
the total is between 10000 - 12000. I'm not near my home pc now and i can't see exactly how high it is but as I said there are no problems so far and that's very good!
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Uh i expected a way higher count.

Unless you plan on 12 player team battle it can (should) stay the way it is right now.

Fighting games have always been the flagship stuff of graphics, because they are the easiest to make on the graphics side. Nothing really to optimise, and practically there is only two fighters on screen, they can be extremely high resolution... And they have been since ~2000... i mean the year.

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~35%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2011 14:33
@ Dimis well. the day you released your demo. i can tell you if it works well on my pc.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 16:35 Edited at: 16th Jul 2011 01:38
Just uploaded screen shots from a revised character, called Tenrai, whose primary special ability is a projectile that temporarily stuns his opponent.

This one will be in the demo.
Still have a lot of things to complete but I want to have the demo ready before August. Right now I'm finalizing the gameplay. Also making game menus
And of course i have to add joystick controls because practically two players can't play from keyboard. Also redesigning all characters.

So many things to do and so little time. Here 's a question for the Forum: If I had to quit something to complete my game what do you think it should be?
A - Day job
B - Girlfriend

Ok that was a joke... I think...
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 16:51
Haha, what about:-
C - Sleep
D - Personal Hygiene

Eliminate those and you may get a little more done before A or B dumps you!

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 17:03
So it's A + B + C + D. Hmm... thinking about it...
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2011 01:36
no "A" is what keeps your project going.... maybe...lol. seriously with "A" you can always buy more things to your game like add on dll, software packages, better computer, etc.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2011 01:49
Well if I quit "D", then "B" will dump me. And if I also quit "C" then "A" will dump me too. So... I don't know...
Anyway "B" will let me work this weekend. Maybe I'll start working on one of my ninja characters. I think that a demo
must have a ninja in it.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 16th Jul 2011 03:23
Quote: "I think that a demo
must have a ninja in it."

Good point.

Maybe you can use my 'Flashlight Ninja' as a model?

Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Just don't tell her she is called simply "B" now...

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~35%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2011 11:18
just do all half effort. i hope that might work. if not you're going to have to do all the same as you are now.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2011 22:48
Just going through all the WiPs now. Haven't looked at this board for quite a while. This is my favourite WiP so far.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2011 00:01
It seems there was a hidden option E: you can twist your ankle and get 3 days off work
So I had time to complete my ninja character

@The Slayer, ninja with electric quitar? Hmmm it gives me an idea…

Also my accident gave me an idea for a finishing move
Captain Ouais
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2011 00:12
Wouaoo !!
We are in the big leagues all!

Impressive !!

I do what i do !!!
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2011 15:05

6 final characters for the demo.

1 Sorcerer - uses projectiles that stun opponents
2 Ninja - ability to teleport
3 Half dragon warrior - uses red fire / teleport
4 Fighting monk - fire projectiles
5 Ninja warrior - uses a chain weapon
6 Kung Fu expert martial artist
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2011 00:38 Edited at: 25th Jul 2011 00:41
Just another video with more gameplay.

Some adjustments were made to special attacks. Fighters can execute their specials in two ways, one to hit quickly the opponent and begin a combo attack, and another to hit harder and knock him down. Harder attacks are slower, make more damage to the opponent and they can be used to finish a combo.

Now I think that I am almost ready to make my 1st demo. I must fix a few more bugs, make sure that the game's main loop works correctly and I think
that after next weekend I'll upload something. I wanted to improve some things before making the demo, like the visual effects and the backgrounds,
but I'll leave them as they are for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SWW1gDdAyk&feature=player_detailpage
2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2011 18:48
This is amazing! I wish there were more of these games being made with DBPro.

Cheers.

God help me, Please.
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2011 18:54 Edited at: 31st Jul 2011 18:55
Ok, hopefully my next post will have a link to my demo! Actually last week I had no idea how much stuff I had to complete. 2 players VS mode is 100% ready.
Also added a few game menus and joystick control. But it is easier to use the keyboard instead of the joystick. Using my Xbox360 controller I still can't activate special attacks easily. I'll see if I can work a little more on that.

Player select screen:

And I have to find a good name for the game. This "untitled" thing lasted too long. Otherwise my initial screen will look like this:
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 05:54
I think Untitled would be a pretty cool name. Once you have won the arcade mode, you are now "titled".

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Very impressive video!

http://lossofanonymity.wordpress.com
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 12:09 Edited at: 1st Aug 2011 12:10
You can also call your game "Kumite". It's also an old Jean Claude Van Dam movie back in the days.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 18:31
Woooow, that's some really amazing artwork, Dimis! Very impressed! You did that all by yourself?
Are you planning on having 16 different characters?

Quote: " It's also an old Jean Claude Van Dam movie back in the days."

Yep, great movie with Jean Claude Van Damme.

For a name, here are some:
- Fight
- Fist
- Fists of Fury
- Dark Kombat
- Dark Kumite
- Masters of Pain

Just some ideas.

Keep this up!

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 19:11
@ The Slayer. I made the backgrounds, but not the dragon image. I'll replace it later with something that I'll draw. I am planning to have 24 - 32 characters at the final game. The names are good. I like "Masters of Pain"
and "Dark Kumite". I think "Dark Kumite" was the subtitle of a sequel of Blood Sport.

@DevilLiger I could name it just "Kumite".

And I don't have the demo ready yet...
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 07:33 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2011 07:43
that's okay. i rather play the demo when it's really ready. I can always wait. I think it was bloodsport but in the movie he entered in a secret tournament called the Kumite. thanks for clearing that up.

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 21:02
I think most DBP users peed their pants when they saw this MY GOD, dude this is amazing stuff, love the vids.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 23:28
@Dark Dragon Thanks man! You know when I started making my first 2d fighter in visual basic I named it "The Dark Dragon Tournament". But I never had the chance to complete that game.

Anyway, I have almost finished making the Arcade mode. I'm still testing the game, and I have found more bugs than expected
but I'll have it ready before I leave for vacation, next Monday. Can't wait for other users to play the game!
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 23:35
Ok, last minute problems. I have the demo ready, but it doesn't work right. I included all files in my demo exe, as media, but the program will not load
sounds and many images. Also "Append Object" command does not work with included .dbo or .x media files! That's the biggest problem because I can load
fighters but not their animations. I have to find a way to fix that until tomorrow because I'm leaving Wednesday for vacations. Maybe I included too many
files in the exe, I can't tell why it will not load everything! Also I'm working at home temporarily off line and I can't search for solutions.
I have worked so much the last four days to have the demo ready, my eyes are red and I feel like a zombie from the lack of sleep. I will upload the demo
tomorrow after I fix those problems and I hope that it will work for everyone who wants to try it. But I will be able to fix possible bugs after 2 weeks!
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 00:46
until than i can wait.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 00:29 Edited at: 10th Aug 2011 01:15
And finaly a demo! Lost a little more sleep but I got it working. Please try it. You will download a rar file (40mb) but the unziped exe will be almost 150mb. When you extract it you will have 4 files, the demo, a data file, an instruction pdf file, and a "buttons.exe" program which you can use to customise
keyboard before begining the game. I recomend that you take a look at the first page of the pdf file before playing.

I hope that you will enjoy it!

Edited: Too big as an attachment. Trying again...

Edited: My file is 40mb but I get the message "file is larger then 50mb" !!!!!! Why?
I will try something else...
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 01:37 Edited at: 27th Aug 2011 20:01
I have uploaded the file in yousendit. Can anyone download and confirm that it runs? I will be leaving for vacations in 7 hours.

Edit: Removed expired link
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 01:49 Edited at: 27th Sep 2011 14:17
Sorry for the multi-posting but I am not sure if anyone can see my last post, because "Last page" will not take me to the actual last page.
Here's the link again...

Edit: Removed older link.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 02:46
Nice one Dimis; real professional work. It works fine on my machine; the graphics look top class and the controls are sharp.

I don't really play fighting games, but I had to download this because it looked like a lot of hard work was put into it. It takes 2 minutes to load, but this is probably due to the embedded media files and my old AMD 3200 Athlon 64bit CPU.

Well worth a download.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 03:01
Fails to run on Win7 64-bit SP1 with "The parameter is incorrect". Presumably this is because you did not compile with the newest DBP update.

Quote: "Microsoft's latest Windows 7 SP1 all-in-one update package introduces a new security 'feature' which completely disables all DBP applications from running. Not the best move in the world, but don't let this lunacy stop you creating great applications. RC3 includes the fix which solves this problem."

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 09:15 Edited at: 27th Aug 2011 20:04
@Chris Tate Thank you! I am glad that it works fine. Didn't expect that it will take 2 minutes to load, it loads instantly on my machine, even from a usb stick,
and I tested it on a computer that is probably pre-ancient Greek technology and still loaded faster than 2 minutes. Probably this is because of the embeded files.

@BMacZero I had no idea of such a problem. But I can't do something about it now. I'll upgrade my version of DBpro when I return.

I uploaded the file again and I have a new link that will not expire, but there is a download limit.

I don't know why I keep getting the message "file is larger than 50mb". The file is only 38mb. I hope that I am not asking too much
but I would appreciate if someone who downloaded the file could attach it in a post!

About the instructions file, please excuse any possible type errors, but English is not my mother language and I've been writing
at 4:00AM, so..

Going to the beaches now...
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 10:49
Downloading...

Have a great holiday!

If you need any help with translations at some point give me a shout, I've edited translations for a couple of games already.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 21:24
Hi Dimis, I know you are on holiday.

I take it you did not want to mention your latest demo release in the main post; but if you have forgotten, then it may be a good idea to post the link there too.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 21:26
@Chris Tate
Hi! I'm in a net cafe right now. In the main post means the initial post?
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 21:30
Hi

Yeah, the initial post. Do you not want a mention of the demo there using the edit feature?

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 21:34
Will do! Thanks!

@baxslash
Did you had any problems with the link, or with the game?

Got to go again for a night swim! Talk to you tomorrow again guys!
2Beastmode4u
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2011 23:17
The demo was fun, great work! What resolution do you guys play it in?

Cheers.

God help me, Please.
Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 00:20
Outstanding!

Looks a lot like mortal kombat both with the character design and the animation. Seems to have less focus on crazy air, teleport specials though, which is a good thing IMO.

Currently it lacks sexy ladies though, which is one of the main reasons fighting games kick ass.
Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 03:56 Edited at: 11th Aug 2011 04:21
WOW. The game play seems somewhere between Mortal Kombat and Tekken. Very addictive. How difficult would it be to allow fighter to move on the Z axis like Tekken? It ran just fine on my old desktop, specs below.

P.S. Tried it on my sons Sony with Windows 7, had error won't run.

[img][/img]

Custom,intel 3.0GHz Hyper Threaded,4GB RAM,ATI X1500 256mb,
WindowsXP DBpro v7.5 Synergy
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 10:28
Quote: "Did you had any problems with the link, or with the game?"

No it worked great! Excellent work there!!

I only had a short play but if I get time I'll test more thoroughly.

I did find the controls a little un-intuitive but perhaps later you can make them editable...

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 12:58
Great game this is already, Dimis! Still some work to be done (finishing touches, sounds, music, etc...), but you've got the rest covered pretty good, I'd say! Nice job!
What I would recommend here, is to add a difficulty feature (easy, medium, hard, etc...) cuz right now, when you dont know the special moves yet, you keep trying different combinations, but that takes a while, and before you know it, the opponent has already kicked your 'you know what'.
Gonna play/test some more, but so far, you've done a great great great job!

Quote: "I did find the controls a little un-intuitive but perhaps later you can make them editable..."

Well, you already can change the controls, baxslash.
There's a 'Buttons' executable in the download to change the keys for the players.

Keep it up!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 13:00
Quote: "Well, you already can change the controls, baxslash.
There's a 'Buttons' executable in the download to change the keys for the players. "

Great, I missed that thanks TS!

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 19:45 Edited at: 27th Aug 2011 20:24
Thank you all guys! I am very glad that you liked the demo!

@The Slayer, Baxslash I see that you did not read the first page
of the instructions.pdf. During a fight use F1 - sound on/off, F2 - Keyboard edit, F3 - activates joystick, F4 - difficulty level. Plus you will find all combos and special moves in the pdf.

@Stab in the Dark software. Moving to the Z Axis is possible but I had some problems, like things from the background getting between players and the camera, fighters were acting stupidly when reaching a wall and I also had some problems with gameplay.

Just saw a bug, in the demo, finishing arcade mode will take you to the Mode select screen, instead of the Game over screen.

Still can't attach the demo in the post. Don't know why...

Edited: Yousendit links have a download limit. In case last links reached download limit I uploaded the demo again. Newest link is:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/ZUd2a3NSSU9WRCt4dnc9PQ
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2011 13:19
im still getting that parameter missing error. even after the update.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2011 14:55
Yo!! How is your holiday?

Quote: "Still can't attach the demo in the post. Don't know why..."

Whilst you are experiencing problems with TGC uploads, give Google's upload facility a go. The limit there is 1 GB. You can upload .zip files by unchecking the 'Convert documents...' option. They also have Google Sites and Groups available for setting up a little information page.

yassou

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2011 20:17
Hi guys!

@DevilLiger I don't think you can do something to start the game. I have to upgrade my version of dbpro and recompile the game.

@Chris Tate Yassou!! Holiday is fine! The weather is a litle cold, like autumn, but it is better than last year's 41C. I am trying to make a google acount, but I am getting error messages. I will try again from another computer. I see that the yousendit links are still active.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 11:31:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 11:31:48