Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / 3D fighting game - Dark Dragon

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2012 21:32
As I understand you can fix a point's position relative to an object's position only, not on a limb. So I glue an object to the limb that I want to attach the cloth, and fix the points of the cloth on that object. I checked it and the glued object is always positioned on the limb correctly.
Here's the problem.

In that animation the problem is bigger because the limb that the cloth is attached is moving but also the entire object is moving in 3d space too. So the cloth is positioned too far from where it should be.
I don't know much about how physics works to be honest, just started using physics commands maybe I do something very wrong here.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2012 21:41 Edited at: 31st Jul 2012 21:42
Well you can use limb positions if you want to try it. Just put some cubes inside the model, and hide them. The cloth should be able to use those limb positions. I use the same method for bullet positions at the end of a gun etc.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2012 21:52 Edited at: 31st Jul 2012 21:55
I think that this is what I do. This could make it more clear.

I use those (edit) red glued objects to make a quick shadow casting without using bone shaders. I set alpha mapping to 0, to hide them but they still can cast shadows. Anyway the cloth is supposed to be fixed on the object that is glued to the hip. But look how far it is on the first frame of the animation. It is positioned where it should be at the previous frame.
Also I tried disabling bones. Got the same result.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2012 22:03 Edited at: 31st Jul 2012 22:04
Yeah, I was messing with cloth myself, and it did some strange things. Maybe it's a sync behind? You could try a double sync, but it will slow your game down a lot. At least if it's a sync behind we can report it as a bug.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2012 22:12
Well I can't look into this more tonight. I will try again tomorrow and if nothing seems to work I think we can report it as a bug.

Cheers

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 05:25
Are you using the default DBPro cloth physics? I've always heard that they weren't implemented well. And as far as I know that part of DBP isn't well-supported either.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 13:32
@Dar13
Yes I am using default DBPro cloth physics. Could that be a problem?I like the way that physics work in my game, but if there is no solution to this problem I should remove physics and use my old animated objects instead.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2012 16:42 Edited at: 1st Aug 2012 16:55
Quote: "Yes I am using default DBPro cloth physics. Could that be a problem?I like the way that physics work in my game, but if there is no solution to this problem I should remove physics and use my old animated objects instead."

Well I have an idea. Try positioning a small box that's offset from the limb you want to have the cloth, and then position the cloth on that box instead of on the fighter's mesh.

D'oh! You've already tried this method.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 00:22
Quote: "Well I have an idea. Try positioning a small box that's offset from the limb you want to have the cloth, and then position the cloth on that box instead of on the fighter's mesh."

Well, that seems to be the only way to fix a cloth's position on a limb. But I think that this is the reason for this problem.
I fixed the top cloth points, on the actual character object, instead of the object glued on the hip. So he is just dragging the cloth with him. The cloth is always positioned correctly. No offset from the fixed position in that case.

So this problem occurs when fixing points on an object that is glued to another object I guess. I searched, but I don't think that there is a solution for that.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So this problem occurs when fixing points on an object that is glued to another object I guess. I searched, but I don't think that there is a solution for that."

Well at the beginning I said just add some limbs to the object. If the problem only occurs to glued objects then the limbs should work.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2012 00:04 Edited at: 18th Aug 2012 00:07
An update on the project. I corrected the position of the cloth. I found a way to calculate the offset and fix the points of the cloth in every frame, it works, but still the cloths are too elastic, and I haven't applied any collision between the cloth and the body of the character, so still the cloth moves inside the body.

I also wanted to prepare my next demo in summer but I haven't worked on Dark Kumite a lot, the past months. I got sidetracked with my second project the Mortal Kombat 1 remake 3D. It is a newer project and it is looking better I think.
Latest screenshots:

And gameplay videos

(Edit) Never mind the sound, it is just placeholder. For the MK remake I think that I will use Arcade sound FX. For Dark Kumite I should start recording sounds myself...

Time for the beaches now...

Cheers!

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I love that bit at the end! ACE!

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2013 02:38
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2013 09:36
Thank you Thraxas!

Time passes too fast... I can't believe how long it has been since I last posted something. I have lots of things to show, but I have to go to my work. So progress report will come later today.

But I have a question to anyone who could be interested to give an opinion here. The title of the thread should change, since it is no longer valid. The game is no more 2.5d but 100% 3d now.

But I will change also the game title. Dark Kumite was used as a subtitle in a movie (Bloodsport 4). Originally, when I made my first attempts to make a 2d fighting game with Visual Studio, I used the name "Dark Dragon Tournament". So I am thinking that I could just call it "Dark Dragon". I googled the name and I didn't find any video game called like that, so it will be a unique name for the game. Well there is only a forum user here named Dark Dragon I hope he is ok with that.

So, how about Dark Dragon?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 9th Jan 2013 10:18
Dark Dragon Tournament

Glad you got this open again, and yeah 3D

Love the visual effects in the first post video!
Are they sprite sheets?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2013 10:22
Name of thread changed, is that OK Dimis? I think it's a great name for a fighting game

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2013 19:22
You can always change the name if something better comes to mind.

'Dark Dragon' created with Dark Basic.

To be honest it sounds just a tiny bit RPG fantasy occult related for me. If someone said, 'let's go play that new game; Dark Dragon', some might reply; 'Oh is that the next expansion for World of Warcraft?'.

When I look at your creative screenshots I just personally feel it deserves a better name; a brand name that clearly distinguishes your work.

But you are hearing this from someone who doesn't play fighting games; so to you it might sound much better.

Looking forward to seeing your latest; glad this was not abandoned; it seemed like you left.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2013 01:02 Edited at: 10th Jan 2013 01:06
Thank you Baxslash for for giving a suitable name to the thread! Now it is accurate.

Thank you too, Mr. Valentine for the comments. Well 3D is better definitely. I mean, what is the point of 2.5D fighting, in a 3D environment. It is easier to make, but it lacks freedom in movement, and well, people don't usually fight in a straight line I guess. The effects in the video are ghosted plains with animated texture.

And Chris Tate, I get that you don't like this name. Yes I see why, and I got no problem changing it if something better comes in mind eventually. I am also open to any suggestion. But at least this is better than "untitled fighting game"

Now to start showing what I did with this game.

Well I practically threw everything at side and started over again. I started with new fighters. New animations and many changes in gameplay.
In my earlier attempt I created a library of animations that all fighters could use. But all my animations were not very detailed, they were consisted of a low number of key frames, because I didn't want to overload the game with animation data. Now all fighters have unique attack animations, also more detailed and probably in better quality than before. There is still a library of common animations that they use, but mostly they have unique attacks.

latest video:

Now I wanted to make the game harder, so I changed things. First of all, I implemented a combo system that reminds the old 2d games. Players can only do combos when they are standing in very close range from each other. When they are not close enough to execute combos, they can only execute basic attacks (this is where I use the common library of animations only). Players with experience from fighting games could recognize that I use the high - low punch and kick system from the 2D Mortal Kombat games.

All fighters now have unique animations for the beginning and the end of the fight, special attacks, one Enhanced special attack, combo breakers, and a Killer move (Fatality).

I added 2 more gauges. A Rage gauge (orange) and a block gauge (blue). Rage is used in Enhanced attacks and in combo breakers. The Enhanced attack is a powerful attack and can be activated when the Rage gauge is over 75%. The more charged the Rage gauge is, more damage can be induced. Combo breakers reduce 35% the Rage gauge. This gauge is recharged during gameplay.
The block gauge is reduced while a player blocks attacks continuously. It recharges slowly. When it hits zero player can't block anything temporarily.

Now what I am planning is to make a short version of the game but in a complete, final form. 8 basic players and a final boss for this version. I still have to fix many things that I have left half complete before that. Mostly game menus, improve the AI and other important details.

I have more things to post, mostly technical stuff, that I had problems with, but I will post them tomorrow with more screenshots.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2013 01:14
Can I ask what are you using to rig the animations with?

When can I buy this game?

Will you incorporate X360 / Windows joy pad with vibration feedback for this?

Why do I find this game so awesome like?

Why am I typing what I am thinking?

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2013 01:30 Edited at: 10th Jan 2013 01:31
Quote: "Can I ask what are you using to rig the animations with?"

First I animate in Poser (I have been working with Poser more than 10 years, so I do it fast). Export only animation data to BVH.
Export BVH to directX from 3D Canvas. (that is the most exhausting step).
Then attach exported animation to models with an editing program (with simple append commands). I also save data that the game uses to defined things like active frames, animation speed and other things like that.
Quote: "When can I buy this game?"

So, when it will be completed? I am not sure.
Quote: "Will you incorporate X360 / Windows joy pad with vibration feedback for this?"

My xbox360 controller works just fine. But I don't use vibration feedback. Maybe I should.
Quote: "Why do I find this game so awesome like?"

Maybe because of the boobs in the second screenshot?
Quote: "Why am I typing what I am thinking?"

Don't know...

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2013 01:34
The sounds are cool. Have you tried the EAX features? Quite cool for echos and reverb. I supposed echos could be added later, or even baked into the sounds. Now all it needs is some music.

I love the look of that first scene; the one in the screenshot; the sky and exterior really gives it depth.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2013 01:36 Edited at: 10th Jan 2013 01:37
{hunts for boobies image}

I no find, you evil... lol

I was hoping you were going to say something like Enhanced Animations or that Animation thing... I guess I will have to use the only application I have at hand... 3D Crafter... and figure out how to do animations when I get modelling with it...

EDIT

EAX is no longer supported... it crashes for me... maybe I need that OPENAL32.DLL?

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2013 01:54
Quote: "I no find, you evil... lol"

Come on. 2 posts before. 2nd screenshot. The lady on the left kicking. There is something there, slightly showing.

I have never used enhanced animations. Actually I still use 3d Canvas 7, mostly for the directX exporter. It is quite good. I could upgrade to a newer version of 3D Crafter if it is worth it.
But after this game I will try to start using Blender or 3d Studio. Poser is very good for animating but the whole process that I use is just too much.

Quote: "The sounds are cool. Have you tried the EAX features? Quite cool for echos and reverb. I supposed echos could be added later, or even baked into the sounds. Now all it needs is some music."

There were 2 people interested to make music for the game, but they disappeared after the initial enthusiasm. But I will find someone else to make the music, or I will search for free tracks.

I also need vocals. Ideally every character should have his own voice.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2013 02:11
I think it is... [soundcloud]mr_valentine[/soundcloud]

Try me, I am working my way back into music composition... Voices... I need a new mic setup, so maybe someone can throw themselves into that one

I have plans to create at least 5-10 new tracks before the end of this month, royalty free, licence free, and credit appreciated

I could try some fighting music...

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2013 02:15 Edited at: 10th Jan 2013 02:17
You think you could make fighting music?
That would be great!

I didn't know you were writing music.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2013 02:20 Edited at: 10th Jan 2013 02:22
Quote: "EAX is no longer supported"

Darn! It works perfectly on my system.

But I can understand why they would not support it, since not everyone wants to buy a decent soundcard. Although my sound card is 5 years old.

Nice music; you can use quite a number of different music styles with these games.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2013 02:25 Edited at: 10th Jan 2013 02:29
I was forced into buying the latest Magix Music Maker Premium 2013, as I lost my old one MM14 I think it was...

I always had music making tools, but only recently getting into the process of picking up my various skillsets, another I need to work on soon is Graphics and Textures / Drawing...

I will fire up YouTube and get some in game play clips running of various games, including MK Tekken, Soul Calibur etc... if I had a TV I would be able to fire up some PSOne/2 fighting games too...

And try to find a match of sorts...

Of course anybody else is welcome to add along side if they are up for it, I think one track for each character and a few for the game itself, Main Menu, Overture, Theme, Intro... Credits etc...

Did you like Volcanic DNB? both are still works in progress

EDIT

Chris Tate - Thank you, that means a lot to me... Umm My MBoard sound chip is Creative based and supports EAX 2.0 ... it is relatively new 2010 I think... Core i5 2500 2nd gen... [Just to give an indication lol] umm MSI H67MA-E45 (B3)

So yeah sad to see EAX die... I always had a pricey sound card... sold my last one Fatal1ty Titanium Pro to a close person... so I always have access to it if ever ^^

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2013 02:33 Edited at: 10th Jan 2013 02:34
Yes, I liked Volcanic DNB.
Searching Youtube is a good idea. Many people have uploaded music tracks from many fighting games, not just gameplay clips.
So let's talk tomorrow because I almost fell asleep on my keyboard.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2013 02:35
Chris Tate - see my last post

Dimis, yes, after I finish my pizza I will sleep too

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2013 03:18
Quote: "Chris Tate - see my last post"

Roger

Go for it guys, I can't stand a game with bad music. Sometimes a bad game has good music; like Heroes 4; crap game, but the music was just wonderful; more entertaining than the dumb AI.

Don't overlook movie soundtrack techniques either.

It is great when music is used properly; not just slapped over to fill silence; but to set the mood for the scene, to describe what a character is thinking or feeling.

It should not overlap sound effects in stereo position, although full stereo width should be used; no good trying to listening to foot steps coming from the left if there are bassdrums and timpanis overloading the left speaker; not very appealing to listen to mono music if there are no atmospheric sounds coming from the left or right.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2013 03:29
Quote: "Don't overlook movie soundtrack techniques either."

My primary aim >.<

I will try to keep the music Centre focussed, this should allow SFX to play on the wide scope... if that makes sense...

Bed time!

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2013 09:55
Quote: "I will try to keep the music Centre focussed, this should allow SFX to play on the wide scope... if that makes sense..."

Sure, that makes sense.

Do your best, Mr. Valentine. I will be waiting. You need from me to mail you something, like background screenshots, game menus, or anything else, so you can see what type of music you want to make?

Problems.

Since this is a fast action game it requires smooth frame rate and minimum lag. So to maximize performance it is better to play in fullscreen exclusive mode. But that is not the best option. Switching to another application will make the program crash. It is better to play in window. Problem is that, although the program runs at normal speed in window mode, there is a syncing problem that produces lag. A lot.
Problem solved. I searched our forums and found a function provided by theComet that fixes that problem.
So this game uses cometSync! Performance is even better in fulscreen mode now, but lag is also minimized when playing in window mode.

The Comet will be credited here!

Another issue I have to deal with.
My game is set to sync at 60fps. That along with my high-res models and the basic language is not very friendly for older hardware. So I thought of having an option to reduce refresh at 30fps but still allow my program to loop 60 per second, as it is now. So I succeeded it. Sync is called every second loop only. Animation speed is doubled. Didn't really changed much.
So I tested my game, with the 30fps option enabled to an old piece of hardware. Before adding that option, the game was running at half speed on that pc. Huge slowdown. But now I managed to make it run in normal speed. There is a big difference between 60fps and 30fps of course, but at least the game was playable on that old pc. For 5 minutes. Then I had a BLACK screen.
Couldn't understand why.
I think that the problem is that now that I removed the slowdown, my program loops normally 60 times per second. And that probably caused overheating.
If that is the problem now, I can only fix it, by making my program to loop also 30 times per sec. And that is a lot of work! I mean A LOT of work. Make sure that everything moves X2 distance, all game counters increase at double speed and more. I don't know, maybe this is important and I should try it.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2013 10:03
Sure, email me via my profile email... I aim to make a start tonight after moving my room around... and hope to get some 5-15 tracks done this weekend, some exclusively for this project and some for me to give away in compos and use personally...

We can discuss further in email I guess... I can make the music publically available to playback via my SoundCloud account, but there is no download option pretty handy ...

Maybe allow peeps here to pick tracks they like?

Also email me character descriptions... their backgrounds, but if you do not have that for now, I could work on the game and menu based sounds for now...

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2013 10:11
Ok, I will write character descriptions and also send you send you background screenshots of what will be in the game for sure.

But probably later tonight, unless I find some time at work to write the descriptions. Ok?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2013 11:14
Sure, I plan on working on the music by UK[GMT] time tonight so take your time

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2013 16:25 Edited at: 13th Jan 2013 00:05
@ Dimis

Wow, I never thought a great game like this would use my function. I appreciate it!

I must advise you though to use a more stable method I've devised for PonyCraft. CometSYNC() can be a little unstable when used with shaders sometimes.

TheComet

http://blankflankstudios.tumblr.com/
Quote: ""
- Randomness 128
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2013 18:21 Edited at: 11th Jan 2013 18:33
I use something a little similar with SF; something that is used in streaming video frame dropping. Instead of Comet's While loop; mine uses a For loop; which carries out the amount of processes required to catch up. A variable process system which is system dependant; this is how I am able to drive and cut corners or jump onto small platforms without struggling at 10 FPS on an old machine.

Therefore, in addition to CometSyncing your game, instead of reducing the FPS to 30 and multiplying every process times 2. Simply loop twice; or loop X amount of times; no need to adjust multitudes of calculations directly and you only lose approximately 1% of 1 millisecond with a for loop. Just like you did, don't sync during the 'catch-up' loops. That's one way to fix your problem.

However if your calculations are CPU heavy (mine tend to make use of GPU shaders and threaded plugins); multiple loops might not work as well for you as it does for me.

The other way I can think of is to multiply your velocities by FPS delta;

Velocity# * Delta# = Velocity# * ( 60.0 / FPS )

Your delta# would have to be clamped however. Works quite well in some situations but I felt the previous method was more smooth.

Variable performance sync is crucial because even a good machine has spells of low performance; some external program might scan the hard drive, the two characters might perform a CPU intensive operation at the same time, a windows update might pop up.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2013 22:04
Quote: "The other way I can think of is to multiply your velocities by FPS delta; "

This has the disadvantage of sudden "leaps" when the frame rate drops suddenly (for example when you load a model during run-time), because you're multiplying everything by a huge number. This has caused glitches such as the main character jumping through a wall.

With the "catch up" method (my example exactly), you're guaranteed a main loop that will run at 60 times per second no matter what, and it is much more stable.

Quote: "and you only lose approximately 1% of 1 millisecond with a for loop"

In most cases, yes. PonyCraft is so intense on processing though that one main loop (without "sync") takes almost 12ms to process in the most extreme example. In idle it's actually at around 4-6ms. Add the time it takes to render the screen to that and you're hitting the limit. This is one of the reasons why I decided to move to C++, DBP's code just can't handle the vast amount of processing a complex RTS needs.

@ Dimis

I don't think your game's bottleneck is code execution though, it's rendering time right? If so, the code above should work like a charm.

TheComet

http://blankflankstudios.tumblr.com/
Quote: ""
- Randomness 128
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2013 22:25 Edited at: 12th Jan 2013 02:04
Quote: "This has the disadvantage of sudden "leaps" when the frame rate drops suddenly"

Yeah I agree with you 99%; playing catchup is cleaner in my opinion, as I was saying the catch-up method was more smooth.

Quote: "Works quite well in some situations but I felt the previous method was more smooth."

(I say was in past-tense because I compared the methods side-by-side)

Quote: "
This has caused glitches such as the main character jumping through a wall.
"

Definately. but if you ever had a reason to prefer velocity deltas, what I said previously prevents that from happening:

Quote: "Your delta# would have to be clamped however."

EG: Delta# = Clamp( Delta#, 0.2, 4 ). This smoothes it out, and is the lazy method. You would do a bit more to control delta transitions with interpolation.

(Furthermore if you wanted to be lazy, you could also clamp velocity to wall thickness.)

However you are unlikely to walk through walls in a fighting game; and you can use continuous collision detection if you ever needed precision.

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2013 01:24
If you ever want the ship level I was working on, I would be happy to get back to that. I've learned quite a bit while this was on stand still so it shouldn't take me long this time.

Available for freelance work, hard surface 3d artist and current generation game artist. Contact me through email.
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2013 18:33
@Chris Tate and TheComet

Thank you both, all that info is very useful. I will try methods that you suggested to see what works best. In any case I am trying to locate functions that don't have to be called in every frame. I started with a function that hides background objects that get in front of the camera. A lot of distance checks here don't have to happen in every frame. I will see which other function or calculation can be skipped in many frames.

@Design Runner
The ship! I forgot about that. I have an idea about it, I will mail you.

Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 22:15
Small progress update. I added details that were missing from the start of the project. The winner's name appears after a fight, for example.

Again the last weeks I didn't have a lot of time to finish as many things as I wanted. I still have to improve the AI system. There are a few ways that make it easy to beat the AI players. Mostly blocking and counterattacking. I am instructing the AI not to attack blindly but to choose the best possible attack to break defenses.

So I can't make a new complete demo now. But I can make a demo for Versus Mode only. I don't know if it will be very interesting since 2 people will be needed to fully test a Versus demo but, i could be fun even for 1 only player.

Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 23:13
I still await that email

Looks like a good update. Glad to hear you are at a point where you can put polish on the game a versus demo sounds fun.

Available for freelance work, hard surface 3d artist and current generation game artist. Contact me through email.
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 00:03
Yes, the boat. Sorry again, forgot to mail you. I will tomorrow. I have 2 different ideas about it.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 08:45
Very nice; I am liking the new health bars. The shadowing on the wall looks cool.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2013 06:17
I'm not sure if you discussed this already, but mouse gestures might be a good investment for this project; particularly laptop / netbook / tablet users. Even desktop users who might not have a gamepad, may find a swing of the mouse more comforable.

I created the basis of a 2D martial arts game for someone in DBPRO years ago, but forgot I did it until recently discussing mouse events with Phaelax; check the post out under the gestures section for a hint.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2013 09:43
Quote: "This has caused glitches such as the main character jumping through a wall."

Which can be avoided using sweeping collision.

"You're not going crazy. You're going sane in a crazy world!" ~Tick
Dimis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2013 12:12
Mouse control is something I should think about. Still it might work well in a 2D game but I am not sure how it will work in a 3D environment. Now I made it very simple to jump - crouch and walk in X and Z axis, using only joypad or arrow keys (not necessarily the arrow keys, controls can be customized). I don't know if I can do that with mouse.

Another thing, I am using the second sync method that The Comet suggested. The results are very good.

About the frame rate, now I followed the easy way, I added an optional 30fps mode, that works well in older PCs that I tested. But the user has to select between 30 or 60fps mode for now.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2013 13:31
Great that his second sync method works well for it.

With mouse control, its a question of whether you think guys with laptops will play. Will they want to use keys. Will they have gamepads.

You can use mouse movement to move in x and z direction, there are loads of gestures. Plus you got modifier keys (shift,ctrl etc) Best thing to do is play Dark Dragon on a laptop and see it from that perspective. I am sure most people are buying handheld PCs these days, judging buy sales trends.

Kuper
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Planescape:Torment
Posted: 31st Jan 2013 13:40
Nice work Dimis! Its look twice great cos you make it alone. Still cant understand how you can get such good results whith DBPro cloth which have only two parameters!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 07:53:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 07:53:44