Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Your 3 Most Annoying Bugs

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2012 16:34
a link to using the CGS command set.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=90484&b=6

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 9th Mar 2012 19:43
Thanks.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 21:56
I shall repost my old issues from U77RC7 thread!

direct link to post: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=180294&b=1&msg=2197841#m2197841

It's about compiled executable's properties like company, version, etc.

That is annoying as hell!!!
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2012 13:26
My issue is ignored or what?
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2012 13:46
Ignored because it seems to concern the editor.

From Lee's first post:

Quote: "He does require that you can provide a zip file with a running code example showing the issue clearly in as few lines of code as possible, and that the issues are confined to the commands, and not the compiler or IDE. Unless they are show stoppers, the compiler and IDE issues can be tackled in a future round of fixes."
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2012 11:59
Quote: "it seems to concern the editor."

No, exe's meta data was not 100% correct by ANY editor, not old one, not new one, not codesurge etc. Always there is at least version number scrubmled.

What kind of exe I have to provide? I can compile "hello world" with three editors. But it doesn't code-dependant issue.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 02:03 Edited at: 19th Mar 2012 02:05
I Rem out like this `

I have spent hours today looking for a mistake in my program only to find out that it was the REMs

`If you rem with 3 dots at the end it plays up a lot...

The three dots cause problems.

I was positioning objects after the Rem, and they were not appearing.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 02:11
MrHandy

Perhaps it's the compiler then? Either way, it doesn't seem to be covered by this bit of Lee's instructions:

Quote: "and that the issues are confined to the commands"

At least you haven't been ignored now.

Pincho Paxton

Simple code plus zip please.
Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 02:12
For all those having editor issues, especially bug finding...

Have you all gone into the options and turned on "Provide comprehensive error reporting"? If you turn this on, when you hit a bug, scroll the window down and 99 out of 100 times it will list the exact line of code that hit the error (though still struggles with functions so I write mine seperately until they are working ok, then import them).

Just a thought.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 02:27
Good suggestion.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 09:06
@Green Gandalf
Quote: "and that the issues are confined to the commands"

I thought, that some lines in .DBPRO file are commands. Like set window mode, resolution... yeah, that's a real coomands, they are "set window caption"-type commands, that set data to exe properties.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 15:08
If it's a command that's causing your problem then give a simple project in a zip file and include a clear description of the symptoms.
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 15:20
@mrHandy,
That's either a compiler or an IDE issue, not a command problem.

@Pincho,
You have line-continuation switched on in the IDE and set to use the three dots. Either switch it off, or change your continuation string to something else.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 15:25 Edited at: 19th Mar 2012 15:32
SEE ATTACHED ZIP.

Currently I have only TGC editor and Codesurge.
Just compare dbpro exe properties section and screenshots.
There are two dbpro's: saved in codesurge and same saved in TGC editor.

@IanM
Then you should exclude
Quote: "28. AddPCKToEXE compiler problem"

For few years I have had to add file version in the filename! Like "Super Tetris v.0.5.21 beta".

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 15:32 Edited at: 19th Mar 2012 15:37
Quote: " it is not a command, it is compiler!"

I included that because it is arguably covered by Lee's "show stopper" category. I'm happy for Lee and IanM to decide on that. IanM may well exclude it for the reason you give.

Edit Your zip file contains three commands and each works perfectly as far as I can see.

As we keep telling you, it's a compiler/IDE issue and hardly a "show stopper" even if you find it annoying.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 15:33 Edited at: 19th Mar 2012 15:34
I think compiler problems are very important
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 18:00 Edited at: 19th Mar 2012 18:08
Quote: "@Pincho,
You have line-continuation switched on in the IDE and set to use the three dots. Either switch it off, or change your continuation string to something else."

I changed it to ...<> Thanks!

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2012 23:49 Edited at: 21st Mar 2012 23:51
@Green Gandalf
How about this? Is it important?

Although...

If you switch from fullscreen to window, window will be in wrong size (for provided code result is 632*446)

p.s. window for me is a render surface, without windows' skin
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2012 00:24 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2012 00:27
Quote: "If you switch from fullscreen to window, window will be in wrong size (for provided code result is 632*446)"

So I could take a screenshot and check the dimensions I changed your code to:

That gives a window size of 640x480 on my laptop (attached).

Edit I wish the forum wouldn't scale my images.

Attachments

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2012 08:52 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2012 09:04
@Green Gandalf
Please see first statement in my previous post about other command issue.

Quote: "That gives a window size of 640x480 on my laptop (attached)."

Nope. It's render surface 632*446.
Try this:

Here is TRUE 640x480

Attachments

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2012 13:32 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2012 13:59
That snippet does exactly the same as before. The window size, including margins and caption, is 640x480. What is your point exactly?

Edit You could try

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2012 14:31 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2012 14:41
Please, pay attention to the details and feel the difference!

P.S. Red arrows show 640*480 dimensions for mine and your image.

Attachments

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2012 21:04
Mr Handy,

Sorry to say, I'm missing your point too. If you want the dimensions of the window to be the equivolent of a full screen use

to get rid of the frame, otherwise compensate by the thickness of the frame to get the viewable area that you want??

Can I ask, what exactly is the screen displaying that makes the extra pixels such a problem?
1beginner1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2012 21:57 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2012 22:02
Mr handy

That is just normal, Java got the exact same thing with Frames. If you want a viewable area of 250x250 you need to increase the height with 30 and the width with 2 approxiametly. With your frame.setSize command.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2012 22:50
Quote: "Please, pay attention to the details and feel the difference!"

I'm well aware of the difference. I just don't see why you think this is a bug.

I agree with Santman and 1beginner1.
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2012 00:26 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2012 00:32
I'm fairly sure IanM's marvelous Matrix plugin set has a command that allows you to set the size of a window the way Mr Handy is expecting it to work.

>Edit<

After scurrying off and digging around in some old BlueGUI projects...

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2012 00:34
You might be thinking of this one:

Quote: "SET WINDOW CLIENT SIZE

Syntax

SET WINDOW CLIENT SIZE Width, Height
SET WINDOW CLIENT SIZE WindowHandle, Width, Height

Description

The first form of this command resizes the DBPro window so that its drawable area is of the size specified.

The second form of this command sets the size of the client area for the specified window.
"

(From the Matrix1 Help file.)
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2012 05:38
1beginner1
Quote: "If you want a viewable area of 250x250 you need to increase the height with 30 and the width with 2 approxiametly. With your frame.setSize command."

As you see on picture above, windows7 and XP has different skin size. Although there is a plenty of user skins for XP. So it is not suitable.

I don't think this is BUG, but here is the situation:
If you set fullscreen mode in the EDITOR (as it's settings will be always parsed first) and then you wish to switch to window mode - you'll get this wrong size window. If you set window mode at first, then SET WINDOW SIZE will work correctly! So switching to fullscreen breaks resizing function. My opinion it that when you switch to fullscreen, that has no window BRODERS, DB keeps this "no borders" mode for resizing. So then resized window is correctly resized as it has no skin or borders adn after that skin is added. Smth like this.
Peter Parker
Years of Service
User Offline
I have to agree with mrHandy. SET DISPLAY MODE width, height should always give you a window with the client size of width, height. I always use SET WINDOW CLIENT SIZE width, height as a workaround, too. But I think it shouldn´t be necessary. At least my opinion.
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
I also would have to agree with MrHandy.

SET WINDOW CLIENT SIZE really does need to be explained a little better for those who do not know about it because they have been taught to use SET DISPLAY MODE in a lot of code and tutorials. Which is a useless command if you think about it, because its going by the outer edge of the window, of which could be ANY SIZE for the space inside, Thus changing the space inside depending on OS and Windows Theme. XP has a different thickness then Windows 7. And don't forget that windows themes can also change that margin size.

"Life is like a box of chocolates.. eat it before it melts."
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2012 12:11
*bump* another command issue that was unnoticed (upper) here http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=195280&b=1
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2012 12:11 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2012 12:12
*deleted* double post sorry
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2012 09:36
Quote: "SET WINDOW CLIENT SIZE really does need to be explained a little better for those who do not know about it because they have been taught to use SET DISPLAY MODE in a lot of code and tutorials. Which is a useless command if you think about it, because its going by the outer edge of the window, of which could be ANY SIZE for the space inside, Thus changing the space inside depending on OS and Windows Theme. XP has a different thickness then Windows 7. And don't forget that windows themes can also change that margin size."

No Wai. I'll have to remember that, thanks.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 7th Apr 2012 13:54
yeah but thats matrix1utils...

Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2012 00:17
Does the visual collision box not changing size when you change the collision box dimensions count as a bug?

Every time I come back to DBP lots of nice things have changed including the excellent new gui...

..this issue hasnt been resolved in all that time, it would be nice to be able to show collision box and actually see the real dimensions on screen- just seems to be a bit pointless command when the output isnt displayed correctly.

'Ooh 'eck chief'...'crumbs'
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2012 23:13
Lee has asked me to pop into this thread and give all you anxious people a quick update. Hopefully you guys are aware of how GG numbered the bugs and the ones that he has passed on, so the following will have some meaning for you all:

First the bad news:
Compiler bugs, will not be fixed by me.
05 Duplicate label bug
18 Add pck to exe problem

Now the not so bad news:
Not a bug.
13 Turn camera problem
- the angles returned are not in error, which may not be obvious. Unfortunately, there are many years of code that may rely on the existing system, and I'm not keen on breaking that existing code. I may revisit this one at the end of the current bug hunt.

15 Delete cloned object bug
- it's the way it was designed to work. Any objects that rely on information within other object cannot survive that object's demise. Right now, if you delete the original, any instances or clones with shared data will also be deleted.

And finally the good news:
Bugs fixed
04 system dmem available bug
- Relatively major clear-out of unneeded code as there was a lot of stuff being done that didn't need to be done and that was causing the problems. As a result, this command should also be faster.

08 create light maps crash
- Various pieces of memory were being cleared incorrectly. In addition, the end of the program would also cause a crash when accessing a null pointer.

09 instanced animation bug
- Ensure that animation is carried out for animating objects that have been instanced, whether they are on-screen or not.

10 fix object pivot
- Apply pivot to object collision boxes.

17 texture backdrop fog bug
- Render the backdrop without fog, then reinstate the fog if necessary when done.

27 GameFX problem
- Caused by the same issues as in bug 08.

28 multiple camera bug
- This one was caused by an attempt to avoid preparing a camera for rendering when it wasn't needed (ie deactivated using the SYNC MASK). I removed all of the prediction code for this and simply moved the camera preparation code into its own function and made that the first step in the rendering pipeline.

That leaves another 11 bugs to go (that totals 22 - Lee snuck another 2 into the list, one of them today!)
I'm not on a fixed timetable, so no pestering me guys (or not too much, at least)

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2012 23:24
HI Ian,

Not sure if this was fixed in the beta release as I don't use the beta, but when you try and load a music track, in my case an MP3, but point it at an invalid file (or possibly a corrupt MP3) it just crashes DB. I need this for a project I'm doing that isn't actually a game, but an application, in which the user can choose graphics and sound via a file selector. Where as invalid graphics are simply not loaded (and thus can be checked for), ANY form of invalid music selection kills the program. That's fine if the extension is wrong (i.e. they click a picture), but if it's a valid extension but not a valid file.....desktop. Without using a 3rd party extension and getting bogged down in lots of error trap routines, this is annoying. Should this be handled like images within DB Pro, or is it not a bug? I can do a simple .exe if you want, but it literally seems to be any file that isn't a valid .mp3 causes it with the command, so the example would be...oh....one line! lol.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2012 23:55
@IanM Sounds like excellent progress to me.
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2012 03:11
I was wondering who he was going to have fix the bugs. I should have known. Thanks IanM you're the best!

A 3D marble platformer using Newton physics.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Great! Looking forward to the DBPro update.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2012 10:23
@IanM
Could you please answer me about compiled exe's properties mess: is it really bug and can be fixed or it is too complicated or else and can't be fixed?
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2012 15:11
Yes it looks like it's a bug, but it's a compiler issue, not a runtime issue - I'm only looking at runtime.

Statue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 03:01
My most annoying bug is that DBPro has dependencies on specific libraries in DX9 and won't work on anything newer - i.e. d3dx9_31.dll not found when trying to run it on Windows 7x32 with DX10...

Lance
Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 04:38 Edited at: 21st Apr 2012 04:43
That's because you've never installed DX9. DX9 and DX10/DX11 can both be installed on the same machine. Most games (Nearly all games more than a year or 2 old) will check your DX9 installation and install it for you if you need it.
Just install the DX9 runtime and it'll work fine. Package the DX9 installer with your game like everyone else and the customer won't even notice it.

I do agree that an upgrade would be nice. It's been discussed a lot.
But, that's not a bug.
(And, I'm fairly sure that Vista comes with DX10. Win7 comes with DX11. You may have an even better DX than you thought...)
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 07:24
I have a windows 7 64bit system
and until I installed the dx 9 and just for fun the dx10
I was told that some of the additions for DBP would not run
as it had no idea how to use them

now the dx are in place every thing ran fine

to move side ways - is to move forward
Since a Strait line gets thin fast
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2012 06:42
humm this posting started out as the most 3d annoying bugs and grew

dose this mean for the most part there should be a new DBP released soon ?

I know there is one set of addition some one made that will not work past 7.61

DKAVM and DKShop are the two

some math was changed in DBP nd they will not work

and a new command was added to do with timing
too bad it was not a separate dll then it could be used with
DBP 7.61 which is the most stable and complete at this time
it only has one quirk using a camera command but
other than this it works with out any problems

Wyldhunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2012 07:08
Let's not forget about the other little quirk of the programs created with 7.61 not working on most Win7 SP1 PC's.
If you use 7.61, you'll have a shrinking market as people upgrade to Win7.
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2012 07:22
I guessed I meed that one

I've got it running on such windows
but the hardware is being all the right type is what making this an option for me

I've got a maxed out laptop by Asus

2 ghz intel quad core with 4 simulated cpu's
8 gb or ram
2 gb's of video
1.5 gb of hard drive space
windows 7 home premium sp1

no amd garbage or ati crap
I've used both and they do not last long or meet specs

I've also have dual display setup but only one addition is not
working and I know it did work before on anther pc I had

"Billboard"
this permits a object to be a spite
out of the examples only one works now

jobromedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2012 09:33 Edited at: 17th May 2012 09:50
The most annoying bug for me as a sight impaired developer is that the help text is way too small, and that it doesn't allow the user to zoom in to read it better. So the only way for me to read the help is to take screenshots, paste them into paint, and zoom in with paint to a more confortable size. This bug must be fixed as soon as possible since it is really that important that the manual should be readable for all developers.

Don't get me wrong. The texts describing the functions is decently sized, but the examples / parameter texts just needs to have the same size as the rest of the text.

2. Lacks support for mod, xm, s3m, it, and other music tracker formats. Since they're often pretty much smaller than wav / mp3 conversions of them. Did you guys know that Digital Illusions (DICE) used mod files to produce the music for their games Pinball Dreams and Pinball Fantasies? Well they did. And this had a very big implication in the music since you had seamless looping of the songs. Each table had all different songs embedded into one mod file sized around 80Kb if I'm not mistaken. So what DBPro needs is these commands:

MIDI packs for sale.
Best regards
Johan Brodd
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 17th May 2012 11:19
YES¡¡¡ 200th post I get points... Woops...

@jobromedia

I pressume you are on XP right? Otherwise if you are on Vista or Win7you can use the magnifier... XP has a magnifier too vut you will have to dock it somewhere...

But I do agree the fonts need to be resized... Perhaps me? I too am visually impaired... Nice to know I am not the only one

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 22:03:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 22:03:26