Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / App Game Kit - Snake Remake

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2012 16:57 Edited at: 30th May 2012 17:04
your right baxslash not many people on the forums entered this contest, but I think you got some good entries. I think people like posting own games on the internet oh well. I been making tool bars for my fake tool bars in my mfc example. Darth just hand in what you have in to them, not too many entries, that you can hand it in twice.

I handed mine in twice because i found a small bug.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps.
Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase.
Veterian for the military.
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2012 20:23 Edited at: 30th May 2012 20:26
Quote: "not many people on the forums entered this contest"

I only found out about this comp because it was in the news letter. I think the problem is that there isn't enough "cross-board support" for competitions. For example, would have been nice if someone posted something on the "Community Competitions" board about this (and any others) so there'd be a central place rather than having them so scattered. Even if the main thread was here. Sadly, the Community Comp board seems to be abandoned the last post having been made by a [n00b/spammer] (can't figure out which):

...Actually would be nice if there was a Misc Comps board too.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th May 2012 20:42
Actually this thread started in that board but got moved because people were saying it wasn't getting enough exposure... It was moved here because it's an AppGameKit competition. Everyone with an interest in AppGameKit comes here.

Raven Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I only found out about this comp because it was in the news letter."

Same here. That's why I got in a bit too late to get anything good done, especially with finding a job.
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 02:26
I am going to actually repost mine here in the post because the two player in this post is buged. I guess I deleat the other post because I don't want them confused.

Attachments

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I've finally managed to get it done. I haven't time to add any of the other tweaks I want, but will do so at a more leisurely pace now
I'm pretty sure it's solid and bug free, but you never know until users get their mitts on it lol. I think I've thought of most things people will do..

It is fairly tough, but by no means impossible, in my opinion. So have fun trying to beat it!

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 03:39 Edited at: 1st Jun 2012 00:14
Well, I\'ve finally managed to get it done. I haven\'t time to add any of the other tweaks I want, but will do so at a more leisurely pace now
I\'m pretty sure it\'s solid and bug free, but you never know until users get their mitts on it lol. I think I\'ve thought of most things people will do..

It is fairly tough, but by no means impossible, in my opinion. So have fun trying to beat it!

It is still uploading at present so it may take a few mins before the link works.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52565492/MoonSnaker.rar

Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 05:08
That's really cool DVader.
(does cool still mean cool these days - I lose track )

Music and Sound effects are awesome and the graphics top notch

I particularly like the subtle touches like the transitions and the text zoomy fady thing - I'm a sucker for the little details.

My only gripe is that it reverts to Joystick control after each game or if you go into the options menu.

That and like a lot of games, I have no idea what's going on half the time

Come to think of it, it reminds me a bit of Sinistar - I haven't got a clue what that was about either

Excellent job, well done.
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 05:14
Well done DVader ! Really cool game !
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 07:38 Edited at: 31st May 2012 07:52
I must have a slow computer I cant even play yours darthvader. It is only 3 years old and has a graphics card: I can play every ones but yours I wonder if its the adds or I slow Internet connection. Trying to help you out here. Well done any way I would try it without adds too see it helps. The graphics look good so I see I can test it on something faster. For some reason my computer runs agk files at 5 frames per secound. But not other things.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 08:52
Quote: "For some reason my computer runs agk files at 5 frames per secound. But not other things."

You dont have some programs that autoupdates in the background?

I uninstalled htc sync for there mobile phones as it sometimes cut my frame rate to half in my agk apps.
But only htc sync and thats weird?

I havent had that problem since i uninstalled it.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 10:59
There's now only around 15 hours left to get your entries in. Looking forward to trying all of these games out. That's going to be a fun night! I got your code thanks DVader

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 11:32
WOW Dvader! The game is very fun and engaging. Elements come together nicely. Really fantastic job! "Two thumbs up"

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 11:56
My code dosent work with the latest 1075

Dont ask me wath they have done?

Works on windows but not on the android player and they removed some commands?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 12:05
Quote: "My code dosent work with the latest 1075

Dont ask me wath they have done?

Works on windows but not on the android player and they removed some commands?"

There are some problems with the android player but there should be no commands removed. Can you post your code for me or email it to me and I'll test it.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 12:05
Quote: "Works on windows but not on the android player and they removed some commands?"

Some commands have been deprecated e.g setCurrentDir() has been replaced with setFolder().

DVader, that's one hectic game! You have done the classic snake game justice!

Quote: "My only gripe is that it reverts to Joystick control after each game or if you go into the options menu."

Haha, DVader's game has too much joystick support while my team's doesn't have enough! We have balance!

In the final few hours I'd like to wish good luck to everyone. We have certainly given the judges something to do.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 12:07
Quote: "We have certainly given the judges something to do."

You certainly have

Remind me to stop taking on more work...

BTW: Ninja score even once again H

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 12:21 Edited at: 31st May 2012 12:23
Quote: "There are some problems with the android player but there should be no commands removed. Can you post your code for me or email it to me and I'll test it."

Draw sprite dosent work like it used to.

this dosent work anymore in the raycaster?

if GetImageExists( Mapimg )
DeleteImage( Mapimg )
GetImage( Mapimg , Screen_X , Screen_Y , RE_Map_X*scalex , RE_Map_Y*scaley )
else
Mapimg = GetImage( Screen_X , Screen_Y , RE_Map_X*scalex , RE_Map_Y*scaley )
endif

its this command the complier throws an unknown command state about.
GetImage( Mapimg , Screen_X , Screen_Y , RE_Map_X*scalex , RE_Map_Y*scaley )
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 12:50 Edited at: 31st May 2012 12:53
It looks like that version of the command has been removed although I'm not sure why. You can resolve it using a global variable for the image number. If the value is none zero you can safely assume the image needs deleting.
IE:

It might even be ever so slightly quicker

EDIT: Better still why not copy an existing image into that variable before the loop and then you can remove the conditional statement...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 13:00
Quote: "BTW: Ninja score even once again H"

Remember how I said I was going to keep count? Well, I lost count about 5 months ago.

Quote: "It looks like that version of the command has been removed although I'm not sure why."

That is interesting although I've always been a fan of the auto-generated version.

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 14:30
Doors to enter the compo are slowly closing. I guess that's everyone who wish to enter?

Follow me on twitter! @MotionStruct
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 14:48
I REALLY wanted to make my own version... never got time.

My idea was to have eight directional movement and a team of army guys. While they run they shoot any "enemy" that are in their direct path and try to pick up ammo and power-ups... if you hit your own tail or another obstacle they all fall over like dominos

Time is surely a precious thing! Maybe I'll come back to that idea but if someone wants to use it that's OK

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 15:00
Quote: "My idea was to have eight directional movement and a team of army guys. While they run they shoot any "enemy" that are in their direct path and try to pick up ammo and power-ups... if you hit your own tail or another obstacle they all fall over like dominos "

Quote: "Time is surely a precious thing! Maybe I'll come back to that idea but if someone wants to use it that's OK"

You're an ideas man Steve. I think it's a fantastic idea. How busy are you in July?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 15:07
Quote: "How busy are you in July?"

The current trend is that I'm more busy by the minute. By July I should be looking for a method of cloning myself... again.

Did you ever see "Multiplicity"? I'm starting to feel like the third copy...

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 16:23 Edited at: 31st May 2012 16:34
Thanks guys! I have worked really hard over the last month to get it done. I'm glad everyone seems to like it. Didn't notice the double post last night. Must be to do with me attempting to upload it here directly and it failing. I then changed it to a drop box link and was on the same screen, so didn't imagine it would post twice!

Quote: "My only gripe is that it reverts to Joystick control after each game or if you go into the options menu."

Really? Do you have a joystick? It should only work if you have one, as I set the game to auto detect, your devices and default to the joystick (if you have one connected), then keyboard and then finally accelerometer for mobile control. If you don't have a joystick, you should never see the option. If you are struggling to play, there are lower speed and difficulty settings than the default in the options menu. Obviously time was a factor in fine tweaking the options and such at this late stage. If you unplug it it should default to cursor or wasd, I'm not sure which off the top of my head now

Quote: "I must have a slow computer I cant even play yours darthvader."

No idea, I have pushed AppGameKit pretty hard with this, but I have made sure it keeps up to speed on both my PC and android as I have gone. I have had no real issues with either, for a week or more now and it runs at 60 fps on both devices. I've also tested on a couple of other PC's which seemed fine. What are your PC's specs? I will test it on my netbook, as that is a really good way of testing the speed of stuff. If anything I own will slow down, that will.

Quote: "Well done DVader ! Really cool game ! "

Cheers Mike Max. Glad you like it!

Quote: "WOW Dvader! The game is very fun and engaging. Elements come together nicely. Really fantastic job! "Two thumbs up""

Again, thanks for the good review! I really spent a whole lot of time (don't ask how much!) just tweaking the game play elements. It is not easy. It takes time to get any good, but once you start getting the hang of it, you will be flying through.

Quote: "DVader, that's one hectic game! You have done the classic snake game justice!"

Cheers Hodgey, I have put all my efforts into making this as cool and fun as possible. I also made the game my own as, normally snake games bore me quite quickly. I wasn't initially going to enter when I saw the type of game to be made. But I thought about it, and decided to attempt to make a snake game I could enjoy myself. My logic was if I can get it in a state where I like it, other people should too.

Again thanks to everyone, and I hope I haven't left anyone out of this post who has posted comments about the game.

Finally, I am wondering if anyone has got far? Are you all struggling to get anywhere? Do you even know what I am talking about? lol

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 17:04
Kamac, can we add DVader to the list of entrants please? Cheers!

Pilz X Schizo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 17:42
Great games everyone, would give more personal kudos to everyone, but must get back to work. Great job and Good luck to all.
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 19:25 Edited at: 31st May 2012 20:03
I'd just like to mention that the Slayers graphics were used in my project also (I won some graphics of his in another compo), and I have stupidly forgot to add him into my limited credit space time. I was in a rush and it was late I will be updating the game demo as soon as I am able, rectifying this. The cool look was thanks in a large part to his great fire effects, and explosion graphics. The base is also another of his sprites
Sorry about that Slayer!
New Demo added

Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 20:17 Edited at: 31st May 2012 20:19
Quote: "Really? Do you have a joystick? It should only work if you have one"

Ah, that would explain it.

Yes, I do, but it's not really that good for this sort of game.

Makes your arms ache after a while

Attachments

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh, I had envisioned you having a big flight stick or something maybe. So that would be the problem. If your plugged in via the back of the PC rather than the front it would be a pain to disconnect as I do also. Getting the menu to remember the setting you took will take a bit of a rearrange, because it sets it up according to how it detected devices. I was thinking about it, but it is one of the things that didn't make the cut, along with a few other things. It will probably be added at some point I want to make it as easy to play as possible, changing options every time when dying frequently is not fun.

Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 20:39
Quote: " I had envisioned you having a big flight stick or something"
ooh er! missus!

In case you've never seen one, it has sensors on the front to detect when it's being used, so that when you let go the force feedback motors don't shake it to pieces.

So on the top setting, it's very stiff and if you let go, it goes all limp. Fnaar, Fnaar

I think they are discontinued now.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 31st May 2012 20:50
Quote: "I'd just like to mention that the Slayers graphics were used in my project also (I won some graphics of his in another compo), and I have stupidly forgot to add him into my limited credit space time."

Thanks for the late credits, DVader.

Quote: "Sorry about that Slayer!"

No hard feelings man, good luck.

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 21:08
Quote: "Kamac, can we add DVader to the list of entrants please? Cheers!"

Done like never before

Follow me on twitter! @MotionStruct
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 21:18
Well after a long month, I'm just about sick of the sight of Snakes

But as a last ditch attempt to match the excellent entries from other people, I've added music to my previous upload and as a consequence increased its size by 500%

This is because each of the three themes has its own graphics, sound and music.

I think this is too much, that and the fact that loading themes on android is a strain on even my phone. So the version released to the public will probably have to be theme free.

The benefit is that I can release themed versions at a later date with no extra code - just swapped out media.

So here's my final offering.

I don't think Baxslash will be too happy, the source comes in at over 6,300 lines for him to pour through

For that you get;
- Arcade mode ( 26 levels )
- Puzzle mode ( 24 levels )
- support for any resolution and any orientation
- Multi theme support - just drop in replacement files
- keyboard, touchscreen or on-screen gamepad control
- the opportunity to bump my ad-stream income

Hope you like it.

Attachments

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 22:35 Edited at: 31st May 2012 22:38
@Marl:
Had a little trouble running your app. At first I thought it was just my machine, since nobody else said anything, so I put it on the backburner and kept trying. I just downloaded your newer post and got the same error. Anyway, the music starts, the app runs but doesn't physically display on my PC. I know that it must be writing to the buffer coz Win7 preview works - *See attached image: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=2357646 (excuse all the blurry bits, I'm private about my desktop due to psychological conditions). My system information:

It doesn't really matter now coz I assume the judges can run it fine, but this may be useful for future debugging. Good Luck!

Attachments

darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 22:42 Edited at: 31st May 2012 22:44
Hi DVader,

Nice job. Pretty good game man! This compo is heating up!
All the entries are serious. They all want to win this compo!

darkvee
Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 22:57
Thanks for the feedback nonZero. Nice desktop image BTW

I had noticed it was starting to stretch the limits, and had it crash on me when changing themes just before release, but it was only the once and I couldn't get it to repeat no matter what I tried.

Theme swapping has been a problem on Android for a while and I can only assume it's a resource issue. The windows crash is what prompted my comment about dropping themes altogether.

Adding music may have tipped it over the edge.

The odd thing it still runs full speed on my system and doesn't seem to show any slowdown for resource hunting - that may just be something AppGameKit does though.

I'm currently re-writing some of the core code parts for the release version, but I didn't want to risk ripping out the guts just before the deadline.

I will post a new version after the comp is over - irrespective of the outcome and would appreciate feedback on that version.

Thanks again for your comments.
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
Not bad Marl pretty good. Ya i'm sick of snakes also. lol

darkvee
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
The new version ran fine here for your info, Marl. Only main difference I see with my specs compared to nonZero's are, an Nvidia video card and more memory. The only time I have seen that sort of issue is on my netbook, when the desktop res was lower than the games. It may be that. So NonZero, is your desktop resolution quite low? It could be as simple as that if your lucky

Thanks darkvee, I'm about to try your game at the moment actually Yeah I'm sure everyone who entered wants their app published, so competition is fierce

I am currently retrying every ones entries, now I don't have to work on my game quite so urgently. So back to testing!

Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 01:04 Edited at: 1st Jun 2012 01:11
Quote: "The new version ran fine here for your info, Marl."

Thanks, I still need to tidy it up though, Android is an absolute must for me.

Quote: "Only main difference I see with my specs compared to nonZero's are, an Nvidia video card and more memory."

Now that's curious. I have a GTX-460 (1Gig DDR5)

I wonder if AppGameKit favours NVidia in some way.

Quote: "So NonZero, is your desktop resolution quite low?"

Did you see the screen grab, that desktop is about a bazillion pixels across
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 01:14 Edited at: 1st Jun 2012 01:21
The screen height would be more in question really with your app I haven't actually checked the screen shots actual res if it is still at it's original size of course.

Edit - Just checked, and yes, his resolution is 1366x768. Your game is 480x800. I am guessing this is your issue here.

Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 01:24 Edited at: 1st Jun 2012 01:25
It's a thought.

Delete the setup.agc file and see if it runs any better in the native resolution.

As I said it's designed to scale to any resolution.

Check this out - it runs in a thumbnail

I wonder what the lowest resolution AppGameKit supports is

Attachments

Marl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 01:28 Edited at: 1st Jun 2012 01:30
Pretty Small

The menu option took some hitting

(sorry to double post, but one upload per post..)

Attachments

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, as I said it happened to me with one of my apps. It just stayed locked in the taskbar, and would not maximize. I am 100% sure it is that As soon as I changed the apps res to lower than the desktop all was fine. That was on a netbook with only 1024x600, my app ran at 1024x768.
My game would do the same if someone were running it at say, 800x600 I guess, I haven't tested if it does it on the horizontal axis.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 11:14
NOTICE
Competition is OVER! Well done everyone, now kamac and I will be judging and release the details of the winner ASAP. Please don't keep asking as we want to be very happy with the winner

Good luck everyone!

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 11:55 Edited at: 1st Jun 2012 11:56
Quote: "we want to be very happy with the winner "

Crapp! then is it not me because iam here and dont see you guys

Edited .............
Its bad to be a fast reader
I thought you had written went and not want
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 12:03
Ha, no problem Cliff

We will announce the winner here as soon as we come to a decision.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 12:17 Edited at: 1st Jun 2012 12:48
Quote: "So NonZero, is your desktop resolution quite low?""

Yeah, 1366x768 - It's a laptop sadly. That was the cause of the display error. I flipped my screen around and it worked fine

See attached screenie: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_pic.php?i=2357974

Working fine now. Great game Marl. Was very fun!

Attachments

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 12:49
Cliff you have a 1/6 percent chance to win so do I. Athough I think winner will be a hard too pick, because I played every ones game. But sence they decided how won already I think are chances of winning have remainded the same I would hate to judge this compition. Alot of good entries. Every one here can easly put their game up and get something out of it.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2012 13:17
Judging now... wow there's a LOT of great code there! Well done all of you. Going to be VERY close. kamac has sent me his ratings so I just have to finish my judging and then I'll let kamac announce the winner later today!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 03:43:02
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 03:43:02