Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / It's that time of year again! InGaCreMo 2013: Official Sign up Thread!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2013 23:15 Edited at: 15th Jan 2013 23:16
FFT Spectrum Analyser almost 100% perfect... Got to figure how to keep it accurate and still use the fast 8 bit fixed point FFT algorithm.

Also runs perfect in real time with no slow down because it's not using float or double precision math, it's only using 8 bit fixed point he he...

It produces the spectrum for both the left and right stereo channels...

Gonna be checking through the code and I'll update as soon as...

Screeny with the Spectrum graph working at full rate:

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 05:39 Edited at: 16th Jan 2013 07:02
@ WLGfx

hey that's cool! what do you plain on using the program/functions for?

update on project

I've hit a snag right now. for some reason if I put a prop in the animator, then load the animation with enhanced animations, it does not animate right. witch means I'm going to have to animate without props. I'm going to try character FX and see if it's just in milkshape. though milkshape kinda sucks with animations something horrible.

don't know why I did not do that from the start.
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 12:58
@Southside Games - Yeah, With a bit of simple trick coding I can use the FFT Spectrum to produce a rolling terrain in 3D. Plus you can query certain values and pick out the frequencies and have certain parts of a demo moving/appearing/etc. ie A bass drum frequency can make something bounce and a high pitch instrument can make a streamer appear. Today I'm going to try it with some more code and post it up later on.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 18:20
how accurate do you think it is? with some good coding do you think I could make a function that could ad-lib a prerecorded voice unto a face?
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 18:46
Apparently DarkVoices does that but it's something I've never tried.

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 18:55 Edited at: 16th Jan 2013 18:57
DarkVoices? never head of it I'll look that up then.

edit:

ah now that I've seen it it looks really cool. but it seems to have a high price. I dono. I'll buy it if I have to, but if your program does the same thing then that would be great.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 19:00 Edited at: 16th Jan 2013 19:00
If you have Dark Game Studio, then you already have it, check your Products Downloads or the DVD disk...

Otherwise >.<

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 19:09 Edited at: 16th Jan 2013 19:29
No I don't. I got DBP as a cd and I've just been buying the add ons as I saw fit. had I known at the time then I would have just gotten the bundle.

oh well. of all the mistakes I've made in life. this one does not go that high.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 20:20
Hehe, positive, good

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 22:49
@Southside Games - The FFT spectrum code I've done isn't perfect because it's using 8bit fixed point math for that mega speed and efficiency. Good enough for what I needed it for and you can still pick up frequencies in certain ranges.

Now that I understand how it works a lot better, I'll put together another piece of FFT code which is more accurate soon enough. The only problem I'm having at the moment is adding it alongside DBP DirectSound code. OpenAL is what I am using at the moment.

The FFT at the moment picks up the current position of the sound playing, grabs the left and right stereo channels sample data and store X amount into the FFT algorithm. Once the FFT has run it leaves the frequency results in 128 blocks (1 byte of data each). The first 64 are the useful ones and used to produce the bars on the screen. I suppose with some trick code you could analyse the frequency results for various phonetics and use that data to move a mouth to speech.

I'm gonna do the terrain demo now using the spectrum results.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 23:46 Edited at: 17th Jan 2013 17:31
Now released the plugin as V1.03 - DarkDUMB plugin

You can now use the FFT Spectrum analysis in your own code...

Enjoy...

By the way, I did this well before the 31st Jan... Yay!

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2013 03:19
cool. I'll check it out when I can.
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2013 04:42
I tell you. CharacterFX feels amazing. It's like eating your favorite food for the first time in years.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2013 07:16
We have our first winner! Well Done WLGfx!

I might have a play around with some code to get my project underway...

I have not managed to make much music, need the mood to kick in hopefully by this Sunday I will have some more...

So far...

100 Textures [You can only pick 10, more to come...]
2 Music Files [You can select up to 3 when more are done]
4 Sound Effects [You will only be able to pick 5 when more are done]
0 Environment Models [I will allow up to 3 selections when more are done]

You will be allowed to pick 10 Textures + 3 Music Files + 5 Sound Effects + 3 Environment Models On the 1st of February 2013

I will create some YouTube Videos showcasing everything...

So lets hope I get something done, My list of projects has been reduced for the time being [I managed to talk my agent into giving me more time for an iOS project XD] which relaxes my focus on work related duties, so yay hopefully I can make some nice items to give away

I will be running some Competitions soon, and so you will have a chance to win the others and future pieces, they will also be sold via my websites... for very little...

CODE ON!

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2013 14:55
@MrV - I didn't win... I just completed my task with plenty of time to spare. I enjoyed the motivation of it and the actual studying of stuff thats alien to me.

Dunno what to do now...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2013 16:40
You did win... you completed something this month and released it

You can always try another tool or game

Try making a waterboating game... just an idea something challenging for your skill level... use a wavey matrix to add a bit more of a challenge... and try to only use your own physics code or the ODE >_<

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2013 17:31
Although it would be nice to work with stuff like that if I had a decent lappy, I think now it's back to Linux coding. I'm now taking the code I've done (now in a cross-platform library) and developing a scene demo using IrrLicht which will compile/run on mac/linux/windows... Then I can develop some more libraries for graphics.

There's quite a few options for IrrLicht for physics, I'll be having a nosey at them.

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 19:05 Edited at: 18th Jan 2013 19:07
I hate to say this but I might have to drop. I don't want to, but this project has been nothing but a headache, I have not had any new code work at all for the last week.

animation just refuses to work for me.

edit:

and two seconds after this post I tweak one thing and now animation works just fine. 0.o still ready to throw my computer out a window though...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 19:46
Southside Games

haha just kidding

That happens to me all the time, specially when trying to demonstrate something and then the perspective viewer gets bored from waiting, that very moment they leave BANG! it works...

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 19:47
@Southside Games - That kinda thing is very typical. Happens to me all the time. And I guess most others too. Keep going man!

If DBP had working light-mapping then I'd work on something else using it. I've had plenty of ideas, but I've been waiting for a long long time for it to be fixed. I've looked into lots of the DBP source code over the past year or so. Even though I've wanted to do stuff with it, I've been stuck on other projects. Now with talk of GDK2 and DBElite, if they happen, it's not worth me doing stuff with the old code.

And I think linux is still better for me to learn new stuff with.

I'm bored... When is the next ???CreMo...?

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 21:04
I'm going to finish. now that I understand how to use enhanced animations it should be better sealing for now.

which brings me to my next point....

my first video update!

not the best animation ever. but I like it.

to do list.

animate upper body
animate weapons
make it nighttime
add zombies!
add multilayer
add original monster idea. no telling yet!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 21:12
woow!

keep it coming!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 22:25
I decided in the end to stick to the RPG Maker VX Ace project, I'll get back to Abeyance once I've invested in the software I want. I am currently 1/3 on the 3D tools I want to use, which is Silo3D, the others are 3D Coat (£60 on Steam for non-commercial) and MilkShape...which is dirt cheap anyway.

So, in the mean time I'll work on Pulse, which has made some progress, which isn't exactly difficult considering RPG Maker VX Ace is easy-as-pie, but I wanted to make something for the same of nostalgia.

These are just clips, it's the free version of Fraps so it's a bit broken up.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
@WLGfx
Congrats! I gotta play around with that

@MrValentine
That is AWESOME

@Southside Games
Good job! Speaking of non-progression I'm kinda in a jam myself lol, but I plan to make it up this coming weekend!

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2013 23:47
@ Ashingda 27

lol good luck bro ^^

update.

I've made some great progress in the last few hours. I got aiming to work! it looks great if I may say so! still a little jumpy though and I think it masses with the other animations. I'll look into it.

animate upper body
animate weapons
make it nighttime
add zombies!
add multilayer
add original monster idea. no telling yet!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2013 07:17
Southside... like wow dude!

Funny enough I have been thinking about the Resident Evil methods in the past few days...

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2013 19:36 Edited at: 19th Jan 2013 19:39
I got my animations done. still a little jumpy sometimes. but it's not game breaking and it's hardly noticeable. So I'm going to leave it for now.

character rigging
Animations.
world. (time of day, obstacles, ect)
ZOMBIES!
multilayer. I bought Darkdata. So I'm going to try to add it if I can. if not oh well.
sounds/music
original monster idea. No Telling!
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2013 21:15 Edited at: 21st Jan 2013 05:21
any one good with particles? I've never used em and I'm not sure how to get it right. basically I want it so that when you walk around the air will have clutter floating in it. I don't want to set it to the size of the map for speed reasons. But the player will walk out of the particle field before the emitter will catch up. any ideas on how to have new particles spawn in his way in a manner that looks like the whole area is like that?

edit: or have the emitter to emit in a box like fashion instead of from a point?
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2013 22:38
@Southside Games
I don't know what you mean by "ammeter", I'm assuming you're not talking about one of these:

Do you want there to be dust floating around in the air? Not really sure what kind of "clutter" you're talking about.

Shh... you're pretty.
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2013 05:29 Edited at: 21st Jan 2013 05:30
sorry. I meant "emitter"

Yes something like dust.

I got snow particles. it looks ok. but the particles render over everything else. know how to disable that?
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
What do you guys use for video capture, any good free ones?

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2013 12:51
Camstudio is free, but I've not been able to get it to capture above 7 frames per second.

Fraps is certainly worth its money, trust me.

TheComet

http://blankflankstudios.tumblr.com/
"Man being a noob sucks! " - OBese87
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2013 16:22
I use Fraps as well. It's very stable.

@ the comet
He lives! XD
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2013 17:24 Edited at: 21st Jan 2013 17:27
got another item off my checklist! The world is set up and will generate randomly each time the player starts the game. You play on an island after a helicopter crash.... Still have to add the helicopter. but that will only take a few seconds. maybe a boat...

character rigging
Animations.
world. (time of day, obstacles, ect)
sounds/music
ZOMBIES!
multilayer. I bought Darkdata. So I'm going to try to add it if I can. if not oh well.
original monster idea. No Telling!
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
@Southside Games
Wow very nice progress, I'm slacking here lol! I'll see if I can get fraps to work.

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 01:30 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2013 01:52
Ok it's been rough but I made some progress

Still have more animations to work on but will leave out ranged weapons to keep it simple.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 03:07
@Southside & Ashingda - Darn it... Guess I'll have to write summit quick to showcase what I've done. Fantastic progress...

Sometimes it it not easy to cope with the pressure, but those who do, shine.

It looks like another 'thingy'?CreMo has succeeded...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 08:45 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2013 08:48
I think I should change my Challenge to creating those environment models for you guys and the remainder music files

Them alone pose a challenge

I MrValentine Shall aim to complete my Content for Prizes for Competitions by the end of January 2013!

EDIT

I guess my model viewer can wait a while... as I now have new toys to play with! [DarkDynamix-DarkMATTER2-DarkImposters-EnhancedAnimations] with many thanks to TGC!

EDIT

Ashingda 27 - That Halberd looks a bit long...

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 14:27
Talk about a stroke of bad luck...

My computer spent a few days having some issues, and then a few days ago I had total hard drive failure. I couldn't even get it to boot properly. SO I had to wait a few days to get another drive and reinstall everything on it, but I lost my DBP project.

Oh well. I didn't have time this year anyway. I've been REALLY busy.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 14:40
Yodaman Jer - I feel your pain, I lost 2TB of data in the past two years, but this prompts me to think, why don't you stick stuff on places like SkyDrive or DropBox...

I personally use my FTP in combination with 128/256bit encrypted file storage... for all my projects, and at the moment I am placing all my data on a 64GB SSD for performance on SATA-III

Just some ideas for future... if you need help setting this up just ask anytime...

Again I feel your pain!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 15:42
@Ashingda
Wow, nice work. You've come a long way since the DarkNoobs days.

"I am a big dumb babby! " - TheComet
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 16:52
@ Yodaman Jer

sorry bro. last year I had to reformat my computer and lost everything. needles to say, I did not code anything for a few months after that out of pure rage. This is the first thing I've coded in like 6 months.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Jan 2013 23:00
Quote: "this prompts me to think, why don't you stick stuff on places like SkyDrive or DropBox..."

I thought I did have it set to sync on DropBox, but it was the wrong project folder..

No matter. This is just an excuse to move on to Unity 4 anyway, so I'll take it and make it a good situation.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 02:13 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2013 02:14
I have some good news and bad news.
Bad news is the main game code file I was hoping to build on is proving unmanageable, I might have to re-write it from scratch. This is the problem with modding code.

Good news is I now have music and sounds!
I didn't mention it before but my goal with this project is to have no external media whatsoever, it all has to be generated by code. So here's the sound. (Note: I can't understand why it's not working in DBP, sorry but it should do and it works okay in DBC. If anyone can fix it for DBP I would be very thankful.)

This based on Fluffy Rabbit's function:

Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 04:51
@ OBese87

Quote: ""I am a big dumb babby! " - TheComet"

what? XD
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 06:52 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2013 06:58
I've made a little progress. been away for a bit.

I added a zombie for testing. Just need to animate them. going to use the default animations to save time. also need to code them to die when they run out of health. but that's a small detail I left out to make testing easier. Also need to program them to attack the player as well.

I also need to make a function that will choose what kind of monster to spawn. I'm not sure if I want a set number of monsters total or by type on the map at a time, to have one spawn at a set time, or to do a wave style. probably little of all three. I'm thinking about setting it up so that each type of monster has a set number of how many can be on the map at once. and slowly increasing it as time goes on. then to spawn them in groups with themselves. an example being that after 20 seconds the game will check how many slow zombies there are alive. if there is room for a mob of them it will spawn a mob of slow zombies randomly in the world as a group. this way I can have harder monster come later by setting there max count to zero at the start.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 15:56
@Southside
It's looking great.

Quote: "Quote: ""I am a big dumb babby! " - TheComet"

what? XD "

ikr

Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2013 23:16 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2013 23:30
@OBese87
I was lucky to bump into DarkNoobs when I first started, learned alot! Tried running you code, cant figure why DBP doesn't work, maybe the memblock uses a different format? Dont have DBC installed in my new machine yet.

@MrValentine
LOL Yeah halberd is out of proportion, plan to rescale them all later.

@Southside Games
Is as WLGfx said about InGaCreMo creating pressure now I'm going to have to throw in some terrain effects because of you lol. I'm really struggling with the 2 handed spear animation, those hands keep coming apart when thrusting

Anyone know a good method to 2hand a spear when animating or something?

[edit] Forgot to put this up

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
So I finally started my project.

320x224
Southside Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2013 00:06 Edited at: 24th Jan 2013 00:07
@ Randomness 128

Good for you! never to late!

@ Ashingda 27

lol sorry for putting the pressure on you

For the spear thing? Nothing I know of. A off the top of my head idea might be to add a bone on the spear were you want the hand to be, then to attach the hand to it instead of to the arm. It will tare the hand away from the arm, but it might be easier to place the arm to the hand than the hand to the spear. Just an idea though.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 12:38:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 12:38:13