Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK V2 Kickstarter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 17:14 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2013 17:15
You just got two pledges from me: One for my own personal use and an Academic one for a school who will be teaching a games development course to middle schoolers in the spring. They were going to use AppGameKit V1 but this came along at the perfect time

If we get past the 3D Stretch goal, I'll be sorely tempted to get a Site License, we'll see

On a side note, is there a way to make more then one pledge for a project on kick-starter? I had to create two accounts to do it.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 17:35
> goal 2, wow
i updated my pledge to gold
Lost Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 17:58 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2013 17:59
Nice. Improved BASIC IDE here I come. I'm going to like having a debugger.
XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Grats on Stretch Goal#2!!!!
If we get near Goal#3 I'll see what I can do to help with that.
CyberGamer
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 21:45 Edited at: 7th Jul 2013 11:37
Upgraded my pledge to gold

Joined Sat Sep 21st 2002
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 22:41
Got paid from AdMob today $26 haha... Upgraded my pledge!!
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2013 17:28
Before I back it, will V2 allow me to program in Tier 1 (Basic) on a Mac without requiring a Windows OS/License?

the12thplaya
Zeerun
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2013 17:54
Quote: "Before I back it, will V2 allow me to program in Tier 1 (Basic) on a Mac without requiring a Windows OS/License?"

Wine will run Tier 1 currently without the need for a windows license or OS, so I don't see why V2 would not

I seek perfection but wear my scars with pride
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2013 10:12
Have Pledged - Combo/Bronze Level Backer... Bring it on!

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "
Current total (Kickstarter + Paypal);
As of 6th July 21:39 GMT
======
£19,166
"

I'm so happy that we are already this close to the 20,000 stretch goal!
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Ack, I tried again to pledge, even though the £25 slots are all gone, but still no luck. Kickstarter sucks if you do not have a credit card.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2013 17:52
Dvader:
You can pledge through PayPal. But not through Kickstarter.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2013 17:57
We have finally reached 500 backers! And there is still over 30 days left to reach £25k.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Er, how to I go about doing that? Not seen any alternate threads.

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2013 19:12
see the first page as the paypal link is there

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, lol, I always go to the latest or last post! Thanks Cliff!

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Finally! Although the payment page told me 2 people were spying on me, which kinda worried me a little.. I just hope it is a generic advert.

J0linar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2013 21:41
plan to pledge
lookin awesome so far

1 thing makes me curious, it feels almost like
AGK2 and FPSCR could go hand in hand
i mean the stretchgoals and features
(dont blame me for dreaming)
sovr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2013 02:27
I do have a question for tier 2 PC development. I just made a huge W.I.P library that has core functions, AI, terrain and memory management. Since the library uses agk commands (agk version 1.08 beta 14) will I be able to move that library to agk 2.0? is agk 2.0 just an updated version of agk 1? I am sure this has been said before but figure I would just make sure. Anyways my library is a header file connected to a cpp file and the template.cpp uses a pointer to call the functions. Thank you in advance!!

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ParkersApps
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrsovr
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2013 05:55
You will probably need to rebuild the library to make sure to use the new headers.

But I don't see any reason your libraries wouldn't work.

V2 is a major expansion of V1 and will be built up from that base.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Just kicked in £10 more to try to hit Stretch Goal #3
Wow, this is exciting!!!!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
sovr just recompile when v2 will come out and all should be fine

v2 is just v1 with more commands added on!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i'm not planning to use 3d any soon, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed that 3d will be funded, for all those who's project is 3d based.

good luck!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2013 18:08
bjadams, check the original post for this thread (I finally figured out that that is where they are updating the totals).

The 20,000 pound goal has been reached with the combined Kickstarter pledges and PayPal contributions. Looking good.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i never tend to look at the first post!

as much as i would love to get winphone support, i think this is where the funding will start going slower.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Excellent news! Let's hope we'll reach 25,000 before the end, at which point AppGameKit will truly become an all-around amazing product for developing any type of app.
XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Rick,
I think this is the part of the campaign you break out the sad puppy dog photos to get more pledges. We need WinPhone support!
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2013 21:47
Hi,

Well I'm very pleased with what we have managed to raise so far. 75% of the pledges have come from this community and the rest picked up from Kickstarter.

I have found doing a mass email to customers as the best way to encourage people to pledge and I hope you don't mind if I try that a few more times. Some people will take a bit more nudging to jump in.

I think we will reach the next stretch goal and who knows we might even be lucky and reach the end too. Time will tell.

Thanks yet again to everyone who has pledged to date, awesome support!

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2013 22:05 Edited at: 8th Jul 2013 22:07
This is awesome news and I don't use the word "awesome" that much.

I know a lot of people are saying they're not interested in 3D but for me it makes AppGameKit a more rounded product. I've only just started getting properly into 3D and it's good that I can now continue this with AGK. It's not about creating amazing 3D visuals but more about exploring 3D game play and watching things whiz about the screen.

Quote: "i think this is where the funding will start going slower"

I thought that about £10,000 ago but there's been a steady increase in people backing the project and people increasing their pledges (including me over the weekend) and there's still a month to go. It wouldn't surprise me if now that we've reached the 3D stretch goal some more die-hard DBPro users will back the project.

Anyway, as I said, awesome news.

Edit
And I just got my badge! Rick, you're a star!

one of these days I'll come up with a better signature
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2013 22:17
I always wanted improvements to DBPro (but I also own AGK) - the way things are going I might just start over focussing on AGK2 only - if you can't beat 'em, join 'em....

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
ET3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I know a lot of people are saying they're not interested in 3D but for me it makes AppGameKit a more rounded product."

I'd got for more language features over 3D (I want the simplicity of deployment of Tier 1 but with more of the features I'm familiar with from other languages) but 3D will definitely open up AppGameKit for a lot more game types, and I think that's pretty important for the future of such a platform.
mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2013 16:52
Not trying to be a downer, and I know Paul has been hard at work getting 1-click (offline) Android deployment working, but it seems to me that because this is still forthcoming (and with iOS 1-click deploy also currently non-existent - at least for Tier 1), that the claims made of AppGameKit (and V2 as well) being cross platform and "coded once and then deployed across popular mobile platforms" a bit premature or possibly even a tad misleading...
Maybe this can be added/improved upon as part of a stretch goal?

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2013 17:06
mr_d, I use exactly the same code in Windows, iOS, Mac and Android (including Kindle). I don't have a Blackberry setup, so I haven't tried that (yet).

I do my coding in Tier 2, which makes it even trickier.

In either Tier, you do have to spend a bit of time setting up in the iOS/Mac and Android worlds. But once you have the basic setup done, spitting out iOS, Mac and Android versions is pretty easy.

One click iOS is likely to be tricky because of Apple requirements. For iOS production, Apple requires that the package be built in Xcode on a Mac device. And, for iOS and Mac, you must have the appropriate Developer's License with Apple. Integrating all of that into a one-click for iOS is probably not going to happen.

But, in either Tier (and I have tested all platforms in both), you really can do the coding once and deploy in the available platforms. That claim is totally valid. There are people in this forum that have published the same app across multiple platforms using AGK.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2013 17:52
Thanks AL for your reply and insight. I guess I may have been a little too critical and probably behind the times if you are now able to use the same code to successfully deploy to all the mobile (and PC) devices (I thought that this was still not the case and that at least some minor modifications were required for each).
I understand that because of all the Apple requirements that it makes 1-click deploy not really possible unless something drastic changes.
I blame my previous little rant to the fact that it looks like the AppGameKit V2 KS campaign is hitting the goals pretty steadily, which in turn means that it will end up being a much better product than the already very good AppGameKit V1; but that the difficulty of getting the multiple platform deployment happening is the only thing (IMHO) really holding back this product from widespread adoption.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2013 18:15 Edited at: 9th Jul 2013 18:21
Quote: "I thought that this was still not the case and that at least some minor modifications were required for each"

The only time a modification is needed, it can easily be put in place with '#ifdef's.

EDIT: I changed the example here to that which is in my State Machine example.

This started as the basic template.h file provided for one platform and morphed rapidly to accommodate my own needs, including extending the core class used within AGK.

This is my template.cpp (which is modified as needed for the specific apps):

Obviously, this example is not buildable by anyone else because it is dependent on a lot of files I created. But it does show how one file is easily used in multiple platforms.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
plixr
Years of Service
User Offline
I pledged! I'll be using the AppGameKit demo 'til I get access to V.1/V.2!
It's exciting to see support for this kickstarter skyrocketing, I hope it hits stage 4!

P43GHz,1GBRAM,Geforce 7300gs,WindozeXPhomesp2
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I use T2 and it's kind of 1 click deployment! In Xcode (ios) & Eclipse (Android) you just click BUILD and it's done! Same for Blackberry.

You have to set things up once, and then it only takes a few seconds to build a project, deploy it on the device and have an ipa or apk to upload to the store.

I can understand that T1 users want to just press 1 button and have all the magic happen on it's own. Maybe TGC can offer an extra service where they have a remote mac and pc that queues projects and automatically builds uploaded projects, like Ludei offers with Cocoonjs
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2013 16:26
Quote: "I can understand that T1 users want to just press 1 button and have all the magic happen on it's own. Maybe TGC can offer an extra service where they have a remote mac and pc that queues projects and automatically builds uploaded projects, like Ludei offers with Cocoonjs"

For example, Corona SDK offers an on-line APK build tool for free, and paid off-line build. Since AppGameKit is a paid product, we will need an off-line build tool on our PC. A cloud-based APK build makes no sense for Android, because it can be done on the PC. AppGameKit is not subscription based, we have paid for it, so we need the build tool local.
For Apple stuff, it is another story, it is so expensive to have all environment locally, that it makes more sense to create a cloud-based service.
At present I compile Tier-1 using Eclipse, it is not so difficult, but it needs some skills to recompile the player and integrating the byc code. Once done, it is straightforward. But a single-click build would make the difference and would help marketing and sales.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2013 17:32
The problem with a cloud-based iOS/Mac system is that each product needs a whole set of things done in the iOS/Mac developer page before it can be built on a Mac in Xcode (a requirement for iOS apps). Plus, the developer needs to have the appropriate Apple iOS or Mac Developer's License.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
World Class Multimedia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2013 19:42
I grabbed the last remaining early bird pledge!

Although I have not used my AGK1 for anything since it was too hard for me to set up Android or IOS (no Mac), I STILL backed AGK2 in hopes of easier deployment and true 3D game engine capabilities, not to mention the better IDE AND the fact that I pretty much buy almost everything TGC does (I backed FPS Creator Reloaded, for example).

Here's hoping AGK2 is much easier to deploy with (at least for me).

Mike

YOU DREAM IT - WE CREATE IT!
www.world-class-multimedia.com
For world-class virtual instruments - www.supersynths.com
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2013 20:00
Unfortunately, the iOS deployment is going to be an issue for about forever. Apple requires that submitted apps are built in Xcode on a Mac device (it is part of the license).

But TGC already has the beginnings of the one-click deploy for Tier 1 Android. It is web based, but they are planning to make it part of the IDE (I believe).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
jlahtinen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2013 20:35
Quote: "I grabbed the last remaining early bird pledge!

Although I have not used my AGK1 for anything since it was too hard for me to set up Android or IOS (no Mac), I STILL backed AGK2 in hopes of easier deployment and true 3D game engine capabilities, not to mention the better IDE AND the fact that I pretty much buy almost everything TGC does (I backed FPS Creator Reloaded, for example).

Here's hoping AGK2 is much easier to deploy with (at least for me).

Mike"

If you mean the complicated process to make .apk file for Android, check this, it very easy:

https://developer.thegamecreators.com/android/create_apk.php

My simple, free AppGameKit app, made in under 60mins.
Download it from Google Play
lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2013 23:35 Edited at: 10th Jul 2013 23:37
*Edit: Didn't see there was replies about the easy APK build on the next page..

My hovercraft is full of eels
roujesky
Years of Service
User Offline
I noticed that AppGameKit made a stretch goal, but the dollar value on kickstarter was short of that goal. I seem to remember that PayPal may not be reflected in the kickstarter?
Anyway, if the dollar value is not correct on kickstarter, where can I see the real value? Just nosy, I guess
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
First page roujesky, the total is updated there.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i think we are very near the 3d physics stretch goal. there's £20,000 now on KS + the paypal funds!

what will happen if the campaign stops at say £36,000?

will KS give you all the funds anyway?

what will happen from the extra £ beyond the last £25,000 goal?
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
@bjadams, TGC will get the total amount raised at the end, regardless of what stretch goals are met. Hopefully they will use any surplus funds to add more essential features to V2, such as completing the partial Box2D command set.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree xCept Box2d is very important, we need a complete commandset
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2013 23:06
I hope TGC will keep writing updates for the KS-campaign and engage both current and potential pledgers. I would love to see us hit the €25.000 mark!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
seems like every dev tool is jumping on the KS bandwagon these days!!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/881121752/cocosino

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 05:23:22
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 05:23:22