Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / TGC beta forums - closed until further notice

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2014 23:39 Edited at: 7th Jul 2014 23:41
Off-topic warning: this thread will reach off-topic in 0.5 posts.

You know (I don't think) The Next isn't reading this thread any more because of it (and wouldn't blame him). I have an idea, let's put off-topic in code tags.

#Off-Topic

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" -- Wise Man
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2014 00:36
I still see all the posts in my email but have lacked the time to reply.

It has become too off-topic please cut it back and go back to the posting comp thread where you belong

I am currently very busy with some work for Rick and the other TGC server is playing up so I will leave this for now and get back to everyone soon.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked

View the beta TGC forum progress at the url below View beta forum
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2014 01:39
@The Next:
Quote: "It has become too off-topic please cut it back and go back to the posting comp thread where you belong"

Wow. I didn't expect that. We've all, most of us at any rate, digressed here. The point of my last post was actually to remind people they were straying off-topic and my code-tag suggestion was quite legitimate: ie make your life easier by having off-topic stuff isolated (easy for you to ignore) because stopping the flood isn't an option but channeling it is. I already apologised for any role I may have played in initiating or adding momentum to the few digressions I've been an accessory to. However, I think if you go back and look at just my posts, I've been fairly constructive in many of them.
I'm not offended, though, because honestly I don't know for certain that comment was directed at me and not simply poorly worded and, even if it was, I'm sure it was the result of either misunderstanding my post's context (which is possible upon closer examination) or stress.
If I did err in my previous post's wording and the context was lost, I'd like to apologise. As explained, I was actually on your side.
In any case, we're still cool in my book. *extends a hand* Cool?

Disclaimer: I know I should have -- and I would have -- PMed you but you don't read your PMs so, yeah.

@Everyone: Please don't comment on this, you'll turn it into a digression. We all have opinions, voice them in The Posting Competition, where I belong (joke).

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything" -- Wise Man
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2014 01:43 Edited at: 8th Jul 2014 01:45
NonZero my comments are not intended to offend anyone. Hence the face. I was just in a hurry.

This isn't the place for the off topic chat as this thread is visible on all boards. It is already huge without off topic posts adding to it.

I do try to read and respond to all personal messages sorry if I missed one.

We are cool, and as with the way text chat often goes meanings can get jumbled.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 10th Jul 2014 04:56
The following may or may not have been discussed before...

I was browsing some threads as I tend to do once a month as the RSS feed is totally broken 55% of the time, so I must manually check every board that is of any interest to me...

Oh, ok two things... [ possibly three ]

One: RSS Feeds for each board, we can apply to individual boards, might even fix the dead feed issue maybe?

Two: The main topic of this post...

As I was browsing some threads, I noticed an annoying fact... Threads I have posted into or seen before are marked in the same colour as unread [When new posts have been made]....................

Any chance a thread already viewed by the user can have perhaps a darker shade of blue as amber is already used by pinned threads I think...

This would make manual browsing much quicker... ohhhh actually this would create an issue...

If the user has read the thread but not have subscribed for notifications for that thread, maybe it can remain in default blue, but threads they are subscribed to can have the darker shade of blue... this can have multiple benefits... not accidently clicking on threads the user is already receiving emails for, thus reducing pointless load on the server and also reduced time wastage for the user looking for actual unread threads or posts...

[ Why do I sometimes get the impression some users, mainly newbies, do not receive emails at all for threads they may be subscribed to? can you set auto subscribe on for threads you post into?, may have been discussed before again but just saying ]

Hope this makes sense

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2014 20:18
Assuming that is a spam bot posting after me, This will look like a double post lol

I have been annoyed by this for AAAAges...

Sender = The Game Creators Forum
Subject = [TGC Forum] Thread Activity in: .......

On my mobile all I see is ...

And that is half height text...

As you can see I already named it TGC Forum, but that tag there is so pointless

[ Yes I have a dedicated email box for the forum, doesn't everybody? ]

Any chance it can be removed? or are there plans on changing it anyway? I want to see what subject it is, not where it is coming from

We already know it is from '''The Game Creators Forum''' do we really need '''[TGC Forum]''' in there? I am ok with '''Thread Activity in: ''' remaining as it can be at least an understanding why they are getting the email for new comers...

Just saying...

Maybe this might be better?

Sender: [TGC Forum] The Game Creators Forum <-- You could probably remove the last Forum here...
Subject: New Post In: ........
vs.
Subject: Thread Activity in: .......

That is 8 whole character spaces shorter... revealing the subject more...

If it can just show the Thread title in the Subject field... it would be so much better [Again I understand there may be other factors to having some form of leading in matter... [Like New Post In...]

Discuss [Unless it had already been debated...]

Sparrowhawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2014 20:39
I find the "[TGC Forum]" bit very useful as I use it in Gmail sorting features.

But I agree, it could be:
[TGC FORUM] Update: ....

Mac Pro 2014, Windows 8.1 Pro, OSX Mavericks. 3.7Ghz Quad Xeon CPU, Dual AMD D500 GPU's (6GB GDDR5 VRAM), 12GB System RAM, 512 GB PCI-E SSD
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2014 02:29
Quote: "Yes I have a dedicated email box for the forum, doesn't everybody?"

I do

Quote: "I have been annoyed by this for AAAAges..."

Me too, but not because of mobile, just because of the tabs in Yahoo Mail. Also less annoyed than you.

Quote: "I find the "[TGC Forum]" bit very useful as I use it in Gmail sorting features."

The sender is always apollo [at] thegamecreators [dot] com. You could sort by sender.

Sparrowhawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2014 05:19
I can't sort by sender because both [TGC FORUM] and [FPSCR FORUM] send out using apollo[@]thegamercreators[dot]com

And I like to sort them separately

Mac Pro 2014, Windows 8.1 Pro, OSX Mavericks. 3.7Ghz Quad Xeon CPU, Dual AMD D500 GPU's (6GB GDDR5 VRAM), 12GB System RAM, 512 GB PCI-E SSD
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2014 10:50
Quote: "can you set auto subscribe on for threads you post into?"

Nooo that would royally suck. I don't want to get emails every time someone ever posts in any thread I've ever posted in. It should be a volunteer thing.

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2014 11:05
How about volunteer to opt out?

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Opt in, rather.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2014 05:17
Quote: "I don't want to get emails every time someone ever posts in any thread I've ever posted in."

I do. I subscribe to every thread I post in...

Quote: "It should be a volunteer thing."

...but I agree with you.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 21:24
Quote: "How about volunteer to opt out?"

Opt-in should be volunteer, not the other way around. An opt-out volunteer system is what causes a lot of the inbox spam we get nowadays. I would actually abandon this site if it were opt-out for every single thread we ever post in!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2014 23:40
Jeku, I do not know if I misunderstood this or whatever...

I think what we mean is, Opt-In/Out whichever, will be a single option in the profile page, not per page, so it can be set automatically

Too often we get a newbie who posts a question, does not apply to their OWN thread and thus writes a new thread on the same subject in another thread [I have seen this a hand full of times in the past three years]

It alienates newcomers and makes this place unviable for newcomers to understand what is going on...

Imagine as a newcomer you do not realise you need to opt into receiving emails... you post a message asking for help and a week later think, well nobody wants to help, screw this place...

We need this forum to be more user oriented and newcomer friendly, people have been complaining endlessly about how few new people come here, and This is just one reason among many and a nearly simple fix, but if you feel helping newcomers is not your thing, I will not hold it against you for not putting up with a single click...

Just saying...

But Seeing Jeku leave this place... would not feel the same...

[I remember communicating with you like in my first week here ^^, so don't leave!]

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2014 00:34
@MrValentine - Ok I think I understand now! I thought you meant for every thread you post in you also have to opt-out of receiving emails for that particular thread! For me that would be a nightmare If it were a single checkbox somewhere that was set by default to checked, that would be more manageable!

Thanks for clarifying

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 19th Jul 2014 14:11
I've found a bug, I think.

I decided to clean up my pc yesterday (deleted cookies, cache, etc) and went on to the beta forums this morning. I was obviously not logged in, but I couldn't log in, because in the top corner I had the usual bar of Logout, Profile, PM. Clicking logout did nothing, and profile and pm just brought me to the corresponding pages, but all fields were empty. I had to log in through the regular forums to get back in. I'm using Chrome 35.0.1916.153 m

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 23:36
budokaiman - I found the symptom...

Quote: "I'm using Chrome"

Bug fixed... stop using that

Hmm is The Next on break?

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 23:42
I was on break yes, I am also away from the 26th to the 2nd just so everyone knows.

Budokaiman try now we had some cookie issues that may have been causing that if it still happens though let me know and I will look into it.

For those discussing the notification system I agree a system like that would be useful but I would never make one that auto sends emails without a user opting in to each thread. A bit like the mail back or an option in account to send notifications of all threads you post in.

As for the subject line of the mailback emails I will look into shortening this a lot while still enabling filtering of the different forums. Don't worry I also use gmail filters and will ensure that you still can.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 23:43
Quote: "Bug fixed... stop using that"
You use IE, right??

Flash is falling out of... Flashion.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 23:44 Edited at: 20th Jul 2014 23:45

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2014 23:45
Quote: "You use IE, right??"

How did you know!

Thanks The Next!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 04:13
Quote: "Bug fixed... stop using that"

WHAT? Chrome is the best browser I've ever used! Way better than Firefox and Opera, and IE doesn't even count as a browser.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 04:23
[offtopic]
Quote: "and IE doesn't even count as a browser."

I love reading this Are you still on XP? if so, then that might explain it ^^
[/offtopic]

The Next speaking of holidays I could go to London for two weeks for free and all expenses paid and even hotel is pretty good too... plus a client paying me to be there, but I prefer getting my garden done lol where are you heading off to or just some down time? just asking...

Even considering the weather getting hotter... hmm... Garden

Looking forward to seeing the beta forum going live... I just do not use it yet... too lazy to redirect myself to it... the only method I know to find it aside from pinning it to IE is navigating to the first post here... can you place a link in the TICKER BOX at the top?

Hot: July Newsletter — Reloaded store — AppGameKit

there...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 05:09
Quote: "I love reading this Are you still on XP? if so, then that might explain it ^^"

No, Win7. The more I update IE, the worse it gets. Horrifically slow to open, slow load webpages, and most of the time unresponsive. That's been my experience with every single computer I've had the misfortune to use it on.

It's super easy to get to. You just change "forum" in the address bar to "betaforum", or go to betaforum.thegamecreators.com. Instant access. But I don't use the beta forum ATM either, just prefer the old one still

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 05:25
Quote: "That's been my experience with every single computer I've had the misfortune to use it on."

Quote: "The more I update IE, the worse it gets. Horrifically slow to open, slow load webpages, and most of the time unresponsive."

I think you need a better computer... but not used W7 since W8 came out, so not sure what my experience with IE back then was... so cannot comment on that... but I can say, I cannot use any previous Windows any longer since coming to W8 and there are a plethora of reasons and improvements for that... namely speed and interlinking of my browsers and devices including now the Buy it on one device and own it on all devices [Dependent on developer though] as my projects are now Mobile and Desktop enabled, but users only need pay once to own it on either platform

Quote: "betaforum.thegamecreators.com"

meh... too lazy for that...

Don't blame the browser, blame your kit or p poor web developing coding practices which I see way too often YouTube is a prime example of this... no matter which browser I have used it in, it just dies far too often... that is with Opera, Safari, Chrome, FireFox, etc...

The Next, I do hope you are going to stick as much as possible to core HTML language and use jQuery/JavaScript as minimally as possible...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 08:49 Edited at: 21st Jul 2014 08:51
Quote: "I think you need a better computer..."

Ha! No: GTX560 1GB, 8GB ram, i5-4670 3.4GHz. It's just IE being its crappy self.

Quote: "but not used W7 since W8 came out"

I detest W8!! Sure, it has some improvements over W7 (the copying window for one, and the new task manager has some welcome features) but it just requires far too much work to make it NOT like W8 to bother with. Plus W7 just works and is compatible with EVERYTHING.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 11:34
Let's not derail this thread further

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 14:58
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2014 12:18
The Next, any chance at a General WIP board? in the General category where GC is placed, would be very good for those of us with Projects we wish to multi post in to show new content...

There is demand for this, recently discussed in GC PostComp thread...

Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2014 20:20 Edited at: 30th Jul 2014 20:24
The Next, the LogOut button for the beta forum doesn't appear to fully work correctly.
If I click the logout button it remains as logout instead of changing back to LogIn.
At this stage the PM correctly requests me to again login but the Profile allows me in fully as if I was still logged in.
Also the Home Page which shows e.g. "Who's Online? The following 56 users have viewed this forum in the last 15 minutes:" still shows me in the list even if I depart from TGC web site for several hours.

it needs some attention.

EDIT: just read some earlier posts and found others have previously reported this and that The Next is away. One for when he gets back.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2014 18:55 Edited at: 8th Aug 2014 10:44
I may have a remedial solution for the messages page issue...

Flip the order of the messages, last first, first last instead of first first, last, last...

This should alleviate the issue of the box covering the most recent message for now...

EDIT

I found an issue with the video viewer, it is fixed in width... which means the maximise button is beyond the viewport if using a narrow browser window...

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2014 19:14 Edited at: 9th Aug 2014 19:36
Oops! Err... May I present to you... my post... (↓↓ Down there ↓↓

Formerly OBese87.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2014 19:23 Edited at: 9th Aug 2014 19:49
I just noticed that there is no 'Log In' button on the beta forum, only 'Log Out'.

I have wanted the profile page to be expanded for some time, with a space for a Bio to write a bit about yourself, and a list of all your uploads, threads you've started and threads you've posted in.

I have talked to Jeku about the uploads thing before and he thought it was a good idea but it would be a lot of work to give each member their own directory. Thinking about it though we wouldn't need a real directory, we could just upload in the normal way and have some sort of tag link our account to that upload, then we can display a list of all our linked uploads on our profile page.

I think it would make sharing work much easier (especially if you are trying to find something you uploaded years ago) and would also reduce the number of duplicates uploaded to the server just because people forget the thread they uploaded to.

Is this something you might be able to do Jason The Next?

Would it be possible to mark those who are on post moderation? This would let everyone know that the person will not be able to respond quickly.

I have always thought of Forum President and Vice President being joke titles but it would actually be nice to have a representative of all forum users. These representatives could be involved in mod discussions and voice any concerns or suggestions that the community has. It would be a good buffer to stop the mods getting harassed. We do seem to occasionally get the odd paranoid member who thinks a particular mod is out to get them, so having a representative to turn to might calm the situation down.

Would nonZero and DarkJavaDude64 (or whatever your name is now! ) be willing to do that?

If this is already what the Forum President and Vice President are supposed to do then I obviously wasn't paying attention when I was VP.

Formerly OBese87.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2014 21:12
Quote: "Would nonZero and DarkJavaDude64 be willing to do that?"
I myself absolutely would be, and I am sure nonZero would be as well. I am quite honored that you would suggest such a role for us!!!

Quote: "or whatever your name is now!"
It is currently BrightLuaChick85.

Quote: "These representatives could be involved in mod discussions"

Quote: "We do seem to occasionally get the odd paranoid member who thinks a particular mod is out to get them"
Unfortunately, I have been that paranoid member before, and the mods know it. The mods would probably be a little (very) hesitant to put me in a position above other users, where I could discuss issues with them, because I have not exactly had the smoothest past on these forums, behaviorally speaking. So I do understand the mods being weary of me if they are--they should be. I like to say I have grown up since my season of ill behavior on these forums, but I will let other folks be the judge of that.

Sorry to have this off topic post; I did want to reply to Libervurto's post however.

Flash is falling out of... Flashion.
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2014 22:37
Quote: "I have always thought of Forum President and Vice President being joke titles but it would actually be nice to have a representative of all forum users. These representatives could be involved in mod discussions and voice any concerns or suggestions that the community has"

That's true, but in that case we'd have to re-elect both since they were elected under the idea that both were sort of joke titles, with no real power.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2014 22:39
Comic titles

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2014 03:04 Edited at: 10th Aug 2014 08:08
Quote: "Sorry to have this off topic post; I did want to reply to Libervurto's post however."

Yeah I guess it is off topic. I was thinking that it was okay here because it's about the forum, but this thread isn't really about the running of the forum.

--------------

Just had another suggestion thought.
If a person double-posts, could the forum detect that and instead combine the two posts into one? Avoiding double-posting is a matter of etiquette, but what if it was turned into a feature? I often think of things to add after I've posted... like this ... and it would be nice to be able to just double-post without having to edit which takes a bit longer. And when accidental or malicious () double-posts occur they don't clog up the page.

Of course this feature would have to be supported by another feature that warns you if new posts have been made while you were typing and asks if you want to load the new posts before posting. I'm pretty sure I've seen someone suggest that before though.

Formerly OBese87.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2014 02:38
Quote: "in that case we'd have to re-elect both since they were elected under the idea that both were sort of joke titles, with no real power."

Certainly not! They were elected with the knowledge that the titles were mostly pointless as they had no real power, but also that if they did have power they would use it well. Of course, I can only really speak for myself, but that was the feeling I got from the election.

Quote: "If a person double-posts, could the forum detect that and instead combine the two posts into one?"

I've seen other forums do this and I think it becomes confusing, even when they mark clearly that another post was added - I mean, if another post was added, why is there only one really long post?? I don't like this idea much.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2014 02:47
Quote: "but also that if they did have power they would use it well."

Link?
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2014 20:15 Edited at: 11th Aug 2014 20:31
# floating "back to top" button
duckduckgo has a nice "back to top" button that floats above the page when you scroll down https://duckduckgo.com/?q=the+game+creators
This makes more sense and is neater than having a link on every post.

Quote: "Link?"

Ha! That is funny to me that you are using that to mean "what evidence do you have to support this claim?" Netspeak is becoming its own language!

I don't think it really matters who is President. The whole point is that they are a random member of the community. There is no need to make this into a serious election. We don't need to see their credentials and have election debates (unless they are for fun!). The only reason we can't choose someone totally at random is that they might not be active enough on the forum. The only qualifications required are that you are active and a reasonable person who listens to others, which I would hope describes the majority of our members.

Formerly OBese87.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2014 20:27
tbh, I hardly ever noticed them on the left and only sometimes find it faster than scrolling [PCThread] but I agree with floater...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 03:52
No no no no no no! Floating elements are horrid. They just get in the way of everything and never work smoothly. Who actually uses back to top anyway?

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 04:08
I agree with clonex, I never use the back to top buttons and floating elements are horrible. Epsecially on mobile where they take up to much space, are laggy and behave weirdly when zoomed in

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 04:29
Quote: "Epsecially on mobile where they take up to much space, are laggy and behave weirdly when zoomed in"

Absolutely! Totally agree.

Quote: "I agree with clonex"

*Clonkex

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2014 06:02
Fixed Floater should solve the scale issue, !IMPORTANT !it

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2014 15:36
Potential Feature! Group chat in the PM system?

Are the Beta forums still actively being worked on?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2014 16:51
Quote: "Potential Feature! Group chat in the PM system?"

Not sure I'd use it much, but that's a very good idea nonetheless!

Quote: "Are the Beta forums still actively being worked on?"

I know no more than you, but I would assume so.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2014 00:22
Quote: "Not sure I'd use it much, but that's a very good idea nonetheless!"
With the Posting Competition back (you are the hero responsible), a group PM system needn't be.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 08:45:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 08:45:03