Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Evaluating another 2D engine....

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
"I would pay $100, $200 or more to be able to release on Linux, consoles and handhelds."

I'm not there (yet) but agree with this sentiment. If my game turns out to be good enough for general consumption I'd pay $200 easily just to have the ability to get it on PS4 or XBoxOne
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 11:47
If you were to transfer engines, I would recommend Unity.
2D support is brilliant now. Even when it was primarily a 3d engine it was easy to make a 2D game. I actually made most of a game in AppGameKit back in 2011 - it got shelved for awhile and at the start of 2013 I rebuilt it from the ground up in Unity and now it's released and doing well
Actually won like 3 competitions with it.

Now, I love AGK. But damn - I have really come to dislike the BASIC code style of AGK/DBPro.
And in all honesty - I think a lot of people feel the same way.
To me, JAVA/C#/ and even C++ seem a lot easier than basic (I know this primarily a BASIC community so sorry <3)
Other alternatives are just much more popular and have so much more support.

So if I was to use AppGameKit it would be with Tier 2.

But yeah, I've been too spoilt with how fantastic Unity is for this kind of thing.

Back to support reloaded
- Graduate Application Engineer at the University of Auckland ITS department
- Microsoft NZ Windows Dev Division
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 12:25
I have to be honest, if there was an official C# version of AppGameKit that was kept up to date I'd probably use it more than Basic although I do still enjoy using Basic. C# is my primary language at work. I keep meaning to have another go at updating the .Net wrapper that was released so I can keep it up to date and use C# all the time but I'm too busy and already have a huge chunk of work done in Basic on my current project. Also I may want to target other platforms later so using C# would be a false economy (even if it would be better to work with).

oct(31) = dec(25)
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 13:42
C# is probably the nicest of the C-derived languages because it was designed by Anders Hejlsberg, who was the architect of Delphi. Microsoft wanted something lean and clean, rather than the C++/Visual Studio (which wasn't and isn't) so they hired Anders, because Delphi was, and is, the fastest route to robust programs.

Of course, .NET can compile to native code or bytecode (CRS) and you can write in any language that supports that, including Pascal. So the AppGameKit bytecode is similar, but does not have Object capabilities, and is a bit stuck - otherwise I could easily write a variety of compilers that would generate a bytecode file.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 14:47
I like the way AppGameKit BASIC works. It's what I am used to and why I am using it. I have watched some Unity tutorials and I very much prefer AGK. It is a matter of taste if you ask me. If you don't like using BASIC you can use C++ or Pascal, and I don't think it's in TGCs interest to switch. If it works it works, doesn't really matter how.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 16:42
For me the most important thing when coding with an engine, is to add only ONE file as a library.
I don't like to look trough 1000 files of Unity or Cocoa 2DX.

This is why i love AppGameKit in Tier 2 with C++ even if i born on C64 with basic, and i have big experience in Basic.

But since i started to use C++ to code on iOS, i felt in love with it (C++).
I don't mind of Object programming or other thing, i always do what i need in small time.

I wish all will go in the best way on Android, or i will be forced to change the engine.
Anyone of you tested the AppGameKit V2??

Long life to Steve!
IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 17:51 Edited at: 21st Jan 2014 17:56
Ok, gonna say this in the best American slang I can muster.

" This country boy aints a gonna program in no other language than Basic on that there AppGameKit thang over there.." , points in an imaginary direction.

And with that being said so eloquently I have to defend the Basic language as a whole.

Look I seen Pascal, it's cute and got some power under its hood,

Programmed in C++, it's a messy looking bit of code, but powerful,

Did me some Assembler in 6502(Atari 800) , 68000 (Amiga and ST) and 386 (PC), and learned alot about registers, bits and why old programmers went bald in the early days of home computing.

Screwed around with forth , Euphoria , and many others, but I always come back to the Basics.

Having used DarkBasic Pro ,Fastbasic ,Purebasic, Blitzbasic 3D, Atari Basic , Action for the Atari 8 bits (part basic part c) and now AppGameKit tier 1 ,

I think I have a unique perspective on this fine language.

Its a great language and easy to read, that is why it was it invented . And Basic is only as slow these days as the compiler that converts it to native.

And some OOP can still be added to AppGameKit Basic without ruining the base line, Look at Purebasic and Blitz Max as examples.

So i dont think TGC has to do anything more with AppGameKit tier 1 but make it compile with tighter code so it runs just as fast as its C counter parts.

People always mistake Basic with slow speed, spaghetti code and being for kids, and thats just completely wrong.

I've seen some fine games and wrote one myself in Action that ran just as fast as any C game of its time.

I see AppGameKit tier one as the Action of its time, to show all the other languages what Basic really is and just how powerful it can be in the right hands!

Oh and being basic like with touch of OOP is why i also program in Javascript/HTML5, if it were full on OOP, I'd look else where.

And that is my Opinion

I fight for the users!

It's Bird! , It's Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 19:03
Quote: "For me the most important thing when coding with an engine, is to add only ONE file as a library."

GEKKO - What exactly do you mean by that? I simply don't understand!

Grook
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 19:17
Jim - do you work for Delphi? Seriously though, I understand your love for it. I haven't worked much with it for quite some time now but it's head and shoulders above most similar development environments. In my work, we use Powerbuilder and I've hired many ex-Delphi programmers who moan endlessly about the fact we're not using Delphi instead.

I'm also jumping ship to Monkey-X for the foreseeable future. I'm not trying to earn money from app writing, it's strictly something I enjoy doing as a hobby but if that killer app idea came along, who knows! At first I loved the BASIC structure of AppGameKit and it allowed me to play around quite happily but I just find it too limiting. I want some OOP, I want classes and methods, I want structure. The whole framework just suits itself to game programming I think. I'm also a little frustrated that the essentials aren't really there in AppGameKit just yet. One-click deploy to Android being a definite missing piece. V2 will be great I'm sure and I've backed it so will be visiting often to see how it's progressing.

The guys behind AppGameKit are fantastic but how great a product would they have if everyone was behind it and focussed 100% on it???

"It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 21:45
I mean, that i want only to add 1 file in my project as a lib.
Unity have about 1200 files to include.

The only one that is similar to AppGameKit is Monkey X.

I hate to see millions files in my project tree.
In fact in my iOS customized template i don't use CoreForApp.h and the others.

I come from the old school, i prefer to remember the line number instead to become crazy with millions files.

Long life to Steve!
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 22:06 Edited at: 21st Jan 2014 22:24
Hi Grook - No I don't work FOR Delphi, but I've worked WITH it for about 20 years and still do. It's the most "comfortable" development system I have ever used, and I've used a lot, on Apples, PCs, Amigas, Sun workstations etc.

Our language lab system has been growing over thirteen years, and it's currently about 470,000 lines of source. But - and it's a big but - at least 50% of that is automatically and faultlessly created by the visual designer. Try doing that in AppGameKit Basic.

Although I use Pascal, C++ lovers have all that nice stuff as well.

Of course, there are those in the forum who think that only wimps use a visual design interface. They obviously don't run a company. Time = money. What counts is the cute stuff that happens when you click on a button, not the hours you spend coding the button itself.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 22:28
Quote: "I come from the old school, i prefer to remember the line number instead to become crazy with millions files."

You don't have to touch them. Line numbers? That's not old school - that's insane. I haven't seen a line number for 30 years!

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 00:56
Unity has a lot of dependencies, yes. None of which you have to edit, view, or even see for that matter (anywhere).
They won't show up in your project trees. Only what you want to see will be there.
At the top of you code you will see something saying "using UnityEngine" or something similar.

You can jump in as easily, perhaps more so, than AGK.
Don't have a million of things to deal with, don't worry about it.

Back to support reloaded
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 01:19 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2014 01:20
Well i tried all the engines (free and bought some) and i hate the ones when you need to include the files.

For the lines, in my opinion, if an IDE don't have the line number, for me is garbage.

The same for the Visuals languages.
I do the same thing the visual do in less time coding.
Maybe i'm a master, maybe i'm only fast, or maybe is only how i used to do...

Anyway, the releases i done, since the september 2011, when i bought AppGameKit, are 56.
56 / 28 months = 2 release / month (not bad)
The server side is modestly "Great"... just today i enhanced it with the multi-socket and the load balancer (all by myself).

Now i have 400 simultaneous connections / sec...
An average of 3000 users together (i must add a total counter) with 10M request/day...

Not bad for 1 person.
I personally do MySql, PHP, Javascript, Java, Basic, C++, Linux maintenance and tuning the system.
Sometimes i think i go crazy!!

Ahahah!!!

Long life to Steve!
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 04:14
Dude that's sweet. Looks like you definitely got your moneys worth in investing in AGK.

What are everyone's thoughts on AppGameKit v2? I personally thought they would rope in new users with updates and supporting it (much like other companies) - instead of creating a new version you have to buy.
I just hope AppGameKit V1 is fully developed and working correctly with the functionality that people have mentioned before V2 is released...

I've got a copy of Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate so it's a bit of shame that Tier 2 only works with 4 year old software (VS2010) - oh well.

Think it's worth the investment?

Back to support reloaded
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 09:04 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2014 09:07
Rampage:
TGC have said that there will be a way for v1 users to update to v2 but they have yet to announce the price. I think the backing price is low enough that current v1 users should jump on.

Appart from the 3D stuff I think v2 will take AppGameKit to where it should have been from some time. And I think 3D should have been a paid for add on later. I idea to have one price for everything is outdated. People want different features and are usually willing to pay for what they want, but not at all willing to pay for something they don't need.

Anyway, v2 will be a good foundation to stand on and build upon. But TGC needs to get it done to start making money. They are currently behind schedule and that's not good. If they can't make money then development slows down. As we have seen: New platforms come, old ones go and existing ones changes. It's hard for one dev to both add new features, fix bugs and follow the market. The future still looks bright though.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 14:28 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2014 14:28
Quote: "I do the same thing the visual do in less time coding."

That is probably the most ridiculous post I've ever seen. Like a demo?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 14:49
I've never really spent much time looking at Delphi - I have dabbled in most languages, even going back to Pascal and COBOL. For me, I think Purebasic is great, it seems to have borrowed some things from Pascal and lower level languages, the syntax takes a bit of getting used to, but it's about the most powerful basic I've ever used. I especially like to work without the visual designer, hard code everything, take total control

I've nothing against visual designers, heck I write bespoke Access databases for a living - but sometimes it's nice to break away and break out the graph paper, old school stylee.

I am the one who knocks...
TDavid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 16:23 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2014 16:26
In my humble opinion it would have been great if TGC had focused on 2D and aimed at a clean feature complete release. AppGameKit v1 would look less like a prototype if it had more sound functions and an offline apk builder. But I can't hold it against them because 3D sells much more than 2D nowadays and their product is still a bargain for newbies like me.

I don't think targeting Xbone and PS4 would be a good thing right now. Even at a low price, you can't compete against AAA titles. I may be wrong but I don't think many people turn on their PS3/PS4 to play an indy game.

I'd rather have AppGameKit support Windows phone and other less game oriented hardware/OS (linux?).
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 16:50
I'd love more sound commands - but I'd love more sound commands in DBPro as well - TGC never bother too much with sound stuff - hell we can't even pan a sound in AppGameKit, or change it's frequency... kinda limits us folk who like to at least try for positional sound.

I am the one who knocks...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 18:19
Quote: "we can't even pan a sound in AppGameKit, or change it's frequency"

Pitch is part of v2, according to the Kickstarter page. I agree on the panning of sounds, it should be added. Not that I need it but it seems like a very basic thing.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 22:24
I forgot to replay to this

Quote: "But I can't hold it against them because 3D sells much more than 2D nowadays and their product is still a bargain for newbies like me."

If you look at indie games then 2D is far more common than 3D. 2D is also a lot faster and easier to develop in. All the games that I listed above are in 2D. There are a lot less good 3D indie games out there compared to 2D indie games.

Quote: "I don't think targeting Xbone and PS4 would be a good thing right now. Even at a low price, you can't compete against AAA titles. I may be wrong but I don't think many people turn on their PS3/PS4 to play an indy game."

Indie games are on the rise. Sure, they are not as hot and mainstream as AAA titles. But the interest is growing and all the console manufactures are fighting over them. A lot of indie games are coming out on Sony's platforms because they have proven to be very indie friendly. Bottom line, indie games makes money and they don't cost millions and millions of dollars to make.

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd just add, as a PS4 owner, I like the indie games and their associated price tags. £55 for a AAA game, whilst good value for money when you think how many hours of entertainment you get out of them, is still an 'ouchy' £55. I hesitate to spend £55 but am willing to spend £5-10 without too much thought. Bring kids into the equation and a lot simply can't afford AAA price tags (maybe I don't give my kids enough pocket money ) Indie 2D games have a tonne to offer so I can see why Sony have courted them so much.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2014 15:22
Indie games sell in 2D. The 3D need a good studios to be average.
I can confirm this, by my statistics.

Long life to Steve!
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2014 16:38
Depends what sort of 3D event it is, doesn't it?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2014 19:52
Quote: "Depends what sort of 3D event it is, doesn't it?"

I can't recall a single good indie 3D game that doesn't have a lot of work behind it. There are good ones but the ones I can remember are not simple one man projects.

Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 08:23 Edited at: 25th Jan 2014 10:30
Quote: "I can't recall a single good indie 3D game that doesn't have a lot of work behind it. There are good ones but the ones I can remember are not simple one man projects."

This is generally true, certainly, although games like Eldritch, Lunar Flight and Delver are recent exceptions. The core of these games were made by one person, though some had help with music etc. (The same happens with a lot of 2D games as well ofcourse).
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 09:30
Quote: "Eldritch, Lunar Flight and Dweller"

I don't think I've heard of those games. I will take a look when I have the time

Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 10:30 Edited at: 25th Jan 2014 10:38
Quote: "I don't think I've heard of those games. I will take a look when I have the time"

They are quite nice imho! I've added links for you and corrected a mistake: Dweller = Delver. (Dweller is a indy one-man project as well, but 2D). Another (largely) 3D-project designed by one man is Paper Sorcerer. I haven't bought it (yet), but it has been received quite well for it's simple, but cool aesthetics. I guess that unique look contributed a great deal to the manageability of the project.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 12:18
I've seen trailers of all 4 now. I'm not much of an FPS guy. The game that interested me the most was Delver. But it's a rougelike so I'm going to pass. I want to play through games and complete them. Having to replay the game from start when I die is not something I really have the time for. I got a couple of those games but I don't play them much.

Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 14:15 Edited at: 25th Jan 2014 15:11
Quote: "I've seen trailers of all 4 now. I'm not much of an FPS guy. The game that interested me the most was Delver. But it's a rougelike so I'm going to pass. I want to play through games and complete them. Having to replay the game from start when I die is not something I really have the time for. I got a couple of those games but I don't play them much."

Well, yes, I imagine the taste in gameplay varies widely between forum-members. My post was made merely to point out that the creation of high-quality, commercial 3D-games is viable for one-man initiatives. (In a way, even the legendary Minecraft can be fit into this category, although it's programmer started hiring more people as it's popularity increased during the Alpha-phase). Success is largely dependent on finding a creative method for content-generation and -usage.
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 15:16
I used to always be impressed with the Starwraith games (made in DB, I believe, at least the older ones.) I believe they are primarily a one-man show...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 15:27
Quote: " My post was made merely to point out that the creation of high-quality, commercial 3D-games is viable for one-man initiatives."

Yeah, I know Just wanted to comment on the games. BTW, I've not seen any one of these mentioned in any of my sources. Also seems like quite a lot of work went into making these. Minecraft is another game that has had a lot of work behind it. And is of course no longer a one man project.

My original point (some posts ago) was that you can make successful 2D games in AppGameKit and that it doesn't really require 3D. Having a solid 2D offering is in my opinion better than trying to do a little of everything.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 15:33
Look today the top chart of iOS and tell me what you see??
Is first in many country, and is a new game.
Is 3D or 2D???
iAD token it up in 1 day!
This is why i'm investing in iAD too

Long life to Steve!
kslam212003
Years of Service
User Offline
I have used Monkey X for my new project because it support WP8.
I have to write once and it can run multiple platform (iOS, Android, WP8, html5, flash......) without modifying the code. It's impressive.
If not mistaken, Cocos2d-x still need to do some modification on code in order for cross platform and setup is difficult.
AGK is very interesting game framework (simple and easy to use).
Why I choose Monkey X because it can support all 3 platform I want(iOS, Android and WP8) and setup is very easy.
Another main reason is, I don't know when AppGameKit can support WP8.
(Not even in the roadmap. Don't know how long have to wait or AppGameKit not planing to support it) No need to wait, just choose Monkey X.
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 00:21 Edited at: 28th Jan 2014 00:23
Quote: "Having a solid 2D offering is in my opinion better than trying to do a little of everything."

I completely agree with this. Making AppGameKit a 2D engine that offers a feature-set you can't find elsewhere should be, and was, a priority. It seems to me that TGC get a little caught up with chasing fads and adding fluff, when the core leaves a little out. I'd absolutely love AppGameKit to have simple 2D commands, ie polygon creation/control, with the ability to add complexity to that (texture mapping, shaders, etc). Sure, 3D may one day allow that, but why not just make the things it does really sing? A full implementation of Box2D would be amazing too. Better yet, being able to add plugins to extend the language.

Also, if there was a way for me to code with AppGameKit in C#, I'd be all over that I didn't realise you were doing something with that, Bax?!?!

Greenlig

ZacDuff.com
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 00:40
I understand where you are coming from greenlig. It is also true that near the beginning there were many requests for 3D, it seemed it was the must have feature for people to move on to agk from dbpro.

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 00:57
I just feel a little disappointed that all the promise for AppGameKit was shuffled a little further down the line to AGK2. I wasn't in a financial position to back the Kickstarter, so now all the features that were expected to come out over the lifetime of AppGameKit are going to cost me 149 odd clams! It's like when Valve released L4D2 so soon after L4D

ZacDuff.com
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 06:56 Edited at: 28th Jan 2014 08:44
Quote: "It is also true that near the beginning there were many requests for 3D, it seemed it was the must have feature for people to move on to agk from dbpro."

@Matty H: Indeed, since DBPro isn't being actively developed anymore, TGC might gradually lose a large customer-base if AppGameKit won't be able to cater to 3D needs. I'm very happy they took that route, personally. Even though it might take time to get both 2D and 3D to a level all can be happy with.

Quote: "I just feel a little disappointed that all the promise for AppGameKit was shuffled a little further down the line to AGK2. I wasn't in a financial position to back the Kickstarter, so now all the features that were expected to come out over the lifetime of AppGameKit are going to cost me 149 odd clams!"

@greenlig: Ah, but though the Kickstarter has ended, you can still pledge. It is thus possible to get AGKV2 for a far more reduced price (35 pounds if I'm not mistaken).
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 09:50
Correct me if I'm wrong but the current 3D features in AppGameKit isn't really that interesting. It doesn't get people to come over to AGK. And it doesn't help that the core features are not fully fleshed out. I am really glad that those will be worked on before the 3D, following the current Kickstarter roadmap.

greenlig:
I think there will be an upgrade option for v1 users later, no idea on the price. But backing v2 means you get access to early builds. If you're not interested in 3D then all the good stuff will happen long before v2 is released.

Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 10:19 Edited at: 28th Jan 2014 10:30
Quote: "Correct me if I'm wrong but the current 3D features in AppGameKit isn't really that interesting. "

True, the current 3D-functionality is pretty basic. For instance, there is no animation support and no backface culling etc. This makes the language both incomplete and needlessly slow from a '3D perspective'. While I'm a patient guy, I was pretty surprised that these things weren't adressed immediately after the introduction of the core 3D functions. I had assumed the further development of 3D would be considered a priority, especially in regard to the DBPro-user base.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 11:17
Quote: "I had assumed the further development of 3D would be considered a priority, especially in regard to the DBPro-user base. "

I think 3D was simply added too early. I might have been fine if both Lee and Paul was working on AppGameKit, so they could focus on different areas, one of them handling 3D. But putting 3D on top of a shaky core just means users won't be finishing their projects and loose interest. GameMaker is AFAIK 2D only and they are doing just fine without 3D.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 12:44 Edited at: 28th Jan 2014 12:46
I agree totally with you all.
What i understand from this thread is that the jump to 3D was done too early.
Maybe if the KickStarter event was pointed on a better 2D with the possibility to develop plugins, for example for TILED, or some kind of library, for example i could share all my personal base64, json etc.., a 2D editor like the visual one in iOS that can help beginners to make code without writing it....

Well the features of a good 2D could be infinite, and it could sell much more a 3D premature software.
But i don't understand a thing, i hope someone can explain me...
Why TGC team don't answer to threads anymore?

In the while, i'm continuing to port all my works on Monkey X.
If i was TGC, and i come in my forum and read those threads, i would guess myself if i'm on the right way to lose users.

Long life to Steve!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 12:58
I think they are on the right path at the moment, but it's going to take time. I am personally very happy with AppGameKit right now. I need render to image to work on OUYA to get the speed I need. I have not tried releasing anything yet, so I don't know if I run into any problems there. The rest of the planned core updates to AppGameKit are more in the region of "nice to have" and not stopping me from completing RTA.

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 13:18
That's it, really. In the end, you can still build and release great games with AGK. It's all about the developer behind the keyboard. That said, it could go a long way to setting itself apart from the crowd by really nailing the 2D aspect. Currently it's a lot of ideas running in a lot of directions, and not really mastering any of them.

ZacDuff.com
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 15:00
Quote: "Also, if there was a way for me to code with AppGameKit in C#, I'd be all over that I didn't realise you were doing something with that, Bax?!?!"

There is a .Net wrapper for AppGameKit in your download history but it's v1.065 I believe so there's a lot missing. It works fine for Windows development but that's as far as it goes. You'd have to translate your code into C++ or basic to export to other platforms. It's not my work it's Airslide I believe who wrote it. You can download the tools to rebuild the wrapper using the latest version of AppGameKit but I couldn't manage it. Besides, the fact it is only of use in Windows put me off a bit... I guess a C# -> C++ code converter could be written but that's beyond my C++ knowledge!

oct(31) = dec(25)
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 18:14
Well as i see in the update for 108 TGC didn't fixed the VirtualButton with width/height.
So i deleted all virtual button and created my personal button with image up and down, and of course unlimited instead agk 12 buttons.

This is what i mean when i say 108 is not complete.
Hmmmm....

Long life to Steve!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 19:34
I don't really think virtual buttons are intended to be used in a finished game, instead they can be used for quick tests. But I do agree that AppGameKit does not seem finished...

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 20:31 Edited at: 29th Jan 2014 20:34
Quote: "Correct me if I'm wrong but the current 3D features in AppGameKit isn't really that interesting"

I actually disagree with that statement.

what I find interesting about it is that it has full color control after the objects have been textured. This gives the ability to create a 3d tile engine with a fake lighting system.

dbpro either takes a color and bland.... or a texture.

maybe dbpro does have color control?? but it doesn't work for me or make any cense.

that's the main part that has drawn me over to 3d on AppGameKit (easy color manipulation)

<those are fake lights but look amazing in action>

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@JimHawkins, I currently use a BASIC-like programming system which was created using DELPHI, called "TAS". Sometime ago I tried to move everything to Delphi proper. My system uses "modules", which are small programs that do 1 task (a report, or an input screen), which I launch from a main menu. However when I tried the same approach every module in Delphi ended up being lots of megabytes big. My current system takes only 12mb in total! If I redo every module in Delphi i calculated it would end up being 400+ mb large!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-10 01:40:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-10 01:40:24