Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Evaluating another 2D engine....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
^ Construct 2 it's primarily drag-and-drop (HTML5) but has a JavaScript library as well.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 15:07
Quote: "Paul is working exclusively on AGK"

Unfortunately that's not the case. Our driving test apps are absorbing a lot of my time at the moment, hopefully that will die down soon and I can focus solely on AGK.
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 17:22 Edited at: 17th Feb 2014 17:32
Quote: "Unfortunately that's not the case. Our driving test apps are absorbing a lot of my time at the moment, hopefully that will die down soon and I can focus solely on AGK."

Thank you for providing this insight. Without intending this in a harsh way: the news comes as a bit of a surprise to me. I would have thought the succesfull completion of the Kickstarter-campaign and the milestones set for it's goals would have ensured undivided attention / devotion to AppGameKit V2. Indeed, the campaign-site states that the last strech-goal should have been completed this month, besides the sentence: "If we raise more than planned then we should be able to hire additional help to do more in parallel.". I'm afraid this constant refocusing will have a negative effect on both the product and it's planning. (Not to mention it's market-share, as discussed in this thread).
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 18:59
I am really sad to hear that Paul. All delays on AppGameKit will directly impact the success of it. Especially now that you have made a successful Kickstarter. People are going to start asking for their money back. I wouldn't be surprised if they have already. It can all blow up in your faces. It also directly impacts the reputation of TGC and whether or not people will trust you in the future. People will seek out other options and likely leave AppGameKit for ever. It's a bad decision with only sort term gains.

sdl
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 19:18
That can only be a joke ...
The V1 has lots of errors, V2 should almost be "finished" ...
And since it is programmed to an app?
Not really, right?

I can not at all be put into words ...
But that's not really at all ...

I think it's still better then the platform to leave ...
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 00:15
Paul has probably been more honest than was wise about this.

When I saw originally that DBPro was going cross-platform with AppGameKit I pondered the complexity of doing this, and thought TGC might regret it unless they opened some areas up to third-party plug-ins and back-ends. For example, Monkey has an abstraction layer, which means people can take the output from that and convert it into a platform run-time model.

Most compilers work like this. Parse the source input (front end) and create a well-defined model. This model data can be handed to a variety of output code producer modules (back-end).

Because AppGameKit is sealed there's very little that the world's large supply of talented programmers can do to build on it. Given access to the internal model there's plenty that could be done.

I notice that FPSC is now using Lua. How remarkably sensible, and why hasn't it been added to AppGameKit? I've suggested it many times.

TGC - Open the gates a bit and take the strain off Paul. We might be able to help.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 05:20 Edited at: 18th Feb 2014 07:26
Quote: "Unfortunately that's not the case. Our driving test apps are absorbing a lot of my time at the moment, hopefully that will die down soon and I can focus solely on AGK."

Ah... This is another example of why I wish TGC would be more communicative about what everyone is working on, it'd at least help explain the delays. I know Rick had mentioned in the past that TGC's focus would be strictly on FPSC:R and AppGameKit dev going forward, so it's a bit of a shock to see much of the time has instead gone toward supporting a specific AppGameKit app--although I suppose a side benefit might be that new features needed for that app will some day become part of AGK.

I understand that the driving theory app has been very successful in the UK, but it seems to have also cut substantially into AppGameKit dev time (and a year ago, Lee's dev time was likewise taken away from FPSC:R to focus on this app). Seems logical that TGC would want to offload that specific project to a third party freelancer, kinda like what Baxlash was appointed to do early on with other AppGameKit apps TGC was producing.

It is not so smart in my opinion to appoint the only AppGameKit developer onto a random app update instead. There are about 900 Kickstarter backers and an unknown number of PayPal backers that have all been patiently waiting for V2 (even full Ouya support would be very welcomed at this point). As a reminder about Kickstarter, "If your project is successfully funded, you are required to fulfill all rewards or refund any backer whose reward you do not or cannot fulfill. A failure to do so could result in damage to your reputation or even legal action by your backers." Delays happen often on Kickstarter but it is TGC's responsibility to continuously update its backers on what the delays are caused from--transparency in communication is a MUST. Again, not sure how receptive the backers would be to learn TGC has instead focused its attention on a driving quiz app, but at least they would know one reason why everything is at least 5 months delayed now.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 05:39
What about this driving app?
I lost something?

Long life to Steve!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 07:47
I was disenchanted when AppGameKit V2 was announced, as it was nothing like the jump from DBC to DBP, or FPSC to FPSC:R. It's barely an iteration on what already exists in an unstable state. The revelation that it's not even being worked on at the moment is just downright frustrating.

TGC, please take a step back and have a look at what you are doing. You need to plan and scope things better, and actually target a niche properly. At the moment AppGameKit is becoming the least attractive option for development. It's fragmented, unstable, and being developed at a glacial pace. You NEED a plan. A proper one. One that works. One that will ensure the product is not only great, but also ensure your future as a company.

I've had a crappy day

/endrant

ZacDuff.com
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 10:13
I certainly agree with greenlig.

In my experience it's better not to keep adding new features until the last feature set has been thoroughly tested and debugged. New things have a nasty habit of causing side-effects on previously stable code. The last stable release (1.076) was literally years ago.

A constant drip-feed of alphas and betas is surely not the professional way to do things. It needs a comprehensive test suite, and some volunteer testers with a range of devices to test new stuff before it ever hits the TGC download page. It doesn't necessarily need everybody to compile all the programs - I, for one, don't have time. But I do have a Kindle Fire HD and I'd be happy to download an APK from Dropbox, run it, and report back in a restricted Google list or whatever.

Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 13:11 Edited at: 18th Feb 2014 13:15
Quote: "In my experience it's better not to keep adding new features until the last feature set has been thoroughly tested and debugged."

Most of us will agree that debugging a feature-set is preferred above adding yet more new stuff. Nevertheless, TGC have committed themselves to the development of quite a broad spectrum of enhancements. Working on issues that have been / are present in the latest stable release (v.1.821) are not explicitly stated in the Kickstarter-posts, nor are 'freezes' between goals during which new bugs are detected and ironed out. I (and maybe others as well) have always implicitly taken these steps for granted.

Besides that 'ideological' view though, there's a practical or 'realistic' one. When resources are limited, you can have two of the facets listed below, but not all three:

1. functionality
2. stability
3. development speed

One facet is always sacrificed on behalf of the others at the best of times. With the Kickstarter-campaign, it looked like TGC chose to pursue 1 and 3. The acknowledged shift of focus - even if temporary - probably results in concessions to all of them. The more I think about it, the more I am bummed by the current course.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 13:51
As a programmer I'd rather have a fully functional stable set of calls than a miasma of maybes. This gives me a fixed focus. I do not want a half-digested set of new things that haven't been thoroughly tested, because I will be tempted to use them.

If TGC applied their Learn To Drive technology to AppGameKit we'd have to report frequent and unfortunate crashes of the vehicle.

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 15:01
Hi,

Yes we have had to deal with some work on the DTS apps which has taken a lot of Paul's time up. We're now near the end of this and Paul can refocus on AGK2. We're also looking to offload any future DTS work to a third party so it doesn't happen again.

DTS does prove that AppGameKit can be used in a successful way and it will fuel our business very nicely moving forward. We totally believe in AGKV2 and will start to look at how we can speed this project up.

Cheers,

Rick

Development Director
TGC Team
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
My worry if I keep using AppGameKit is that little focus is being given even when there is the Kickstarter budget available, so what will happen after that? will AGKv2 be left dormant for many months like DBP?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 15:42
RickV:
I doubt that DTS is a very good showcase for AGK. You need actual games, not educational apps. But when the people making games cannot finish or publish what they have done, you get no new titles to show. Instead, delays and lack of updates is bad publicity. Imagine how much free marketing you would have if AppGameKit had proper OUYA support and games released for the platform. The market is small but the number of developers is very high.

I got people from OUYA interested in my game, but I can't send them a build because Eclipse just wont work for me. Even after multiple attempts. And I can't use the build APK page because I need to specify a 720p frame buffer for the game to run smoothly.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 16:24
The driving theory app is probably helping to keep TGC afloat right now. No matter how successful a kickstarter is, it won't ever pay for everything, TGC has to remain a thing for any of the plans for FPSCR or AGK2 to happen.

It would be awesome if TGC concentrated on just AGKv2 and FPSCR - but apps like the driving test app are a constant and invaluable income source. Dare I say it - Focus multimedia can be quite demanding, it's not so much a case of just passing it onto another coder, because Focus expect faster turnarounds than that could provide. The basic driving test app framework was started outside of TGC, then TGC fast tracked it's completion and they have to support it - it can't really go back to the original freelancer - it's a thing, it makes money, it's customers are as entitled to support as we are. The answer to how I know this stuff is obvious

Personally, I'd rather have seen AppGameKit expanded, rather than replaced - because to me AppGameKit is stable and a good framework to grow from... it just seems a bit of a stretch to kinda throw that out and start from scratch. It think going the same route as DBPro with plugins might have been better, might have kept us lot happier in the long run... AppGameKit, then AGK-Pro which is still AppGameKit, but with extra commands for bone animation, mesh, 3D shaders, etc etc etc
Know what I mean? - I bring enough procrastination to my own projects, and ''Once AGKv2 has this that or the other...'' is a really bad example of it... and dragging heels and waiting on v2 is no way to make progress on our projects. Heck, so many apps are out there made in AppGameKit now, surely it's proven itself as a viable and smart option for mobile development, AppGameKit apps are in the charts, I'd have thought that would promote enough confidence in the base product.

I am the one who knocks...
lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 17:00
Quote: "No matter how successful a kickstarter is, it won't ever pay for everything"

This just leaves me gobsmacked.

I really think you'll find that's the entire point of funding something that has promised goals at certain caps. Who sets the goals and caps...?

Precisely

My hovercraft is full of eels
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 17:15 Edited at: 18th Feb 2014 17:16
I think you'll find that 1 kickstarter for 1 product is not an infinite source of income. It's also not an insurance policy against market downturn, price hikes, bus collisions or other unforeseen circumstances, like reality.

You think TGC can be sustained on AGKv2 KS money alone?, you mad?

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 17:47
Hi,

We will deliver on AppGameKit V2. While the kickstarter did help fund the development it's not the only source of income for us. I know it must be annoying to see slippage in the development and we'll do all we can to speed things up. We are committed to FPSCR, AGK2 and DTS. They are all great brands which we'll maintain and improve.

The journey has proved difficult but we're seeing the fruits of our labour now. The DTS products also led us into creating an internal runtime for Windows Phone 8 (which was work contracted to a third party), so AGK2 has benefited and we hope to bring a Windows Phone runtime later after AGK2 is completed.

Rick

Development Director
TGC Team
lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 18:18 Edited at: 18th Feb 2014 18:29
Quote: "You think TGC can be sustained on AGKv2 KS money alone?, you mad?"

I don't. But that has nothing to do with it.

The kickstarter is not there to fund a company to just keep running, obviously. The kickstarter funds a product, that a company specified how much money they would need to finish. If it turns out the product isn't viable and doesn't sell once finished and released then I could understand if the product is discontinued, but at least it got made.

This isn't a rant against TGC, it's a reaction to your comment on how the kickstarter didn't pay for anything.

We probably shouldn't have found out that the sole coder working on AGK2 is doing something else.

I'm not even worried that they won't deliver, just had to react to the previous statement.

Also, looking back at what you actually said It was correct, the kickstarter doesn't pay for *everything*, by which I guess you meant the running of TGC as opposed to finishing AGK. So, cool?

My hovercraft is full of eels
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 21:57 Edited at: 18th Feb 2014 21:58
offering winphone8 agk2 to v2 owners would shut up our mouth for good!!!!!!!
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 23:48
Quote: "offering winphone8 agk2 to v2 owners would shut up our mouth for good!!!!!!! "

Yep, it'd convince me to buy it

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2014 06:11
Hmmmmm, and TGC is doing an app for the test driving theory????

TGC how much cost AppGameKit V1 source code, i want to buy it and continue the development by myself, and give it for free, is possible?

Long life to Steve!
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2014 07:39
Hehe, nice try Gekko

ZacDuff.com
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Gekko why don't you do a parsing tool to convert AppGameKit commands to Monkey? I think many people will buy that tool
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2014 11:18
what's DTS???
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2014 17:48
@BjAdams : Not a bad idea. But Monkey is more hard to parse cause it's methods, but can be done.

Anyway i was serious when i asked for the price of AppGameKit, i'm earning much more than TGC done on the kickstarter each month, so why not???

Long life to Steve!
IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2014 17:49 Edited at: 19th Feb 2014 17:51
Myself, I own a few good game making systems and great programming languages, from AppGameKit, Game Maker Studio Pro, Purebasic , BlitzBasic, Euphoria, ect

To having used Corona free version, DarkBasic Pro free, Constuct 2 free , Monkey X free with Mollusk Editor (10 bucks) , and more.

I even have RJ TextED for HTML5 programming and FlashDevelop for AS3.

All in all I love these programs, allows me to program in ways I never could in just C++ using Libraries or cold hearted javascript and 50 js files included.

But AppGameKit holds a special place in my heart. Being Basic, and yes I mean the Basic language, not in functionality , it is so easy to bang out a game and test the results.

Way easier than lets say Monkey X , which if you compile out to HTML5 it runs kinda quick, 5 to 7 seconds for small code, but if you switch Monkey X to desktop compilation, its like 45 seconds before you see anything run and that's on a small program,

Anything larger and you'll have time to make a grilled cheese.

AGK Compiles usual in about 4 seconds for small code. And me being a Peck and Check kinda programmer , I love seeing what I just added instead of waiting for something else to take 35 seconds or more.

Sure it's much harder in AppGameKit when you go to produce an APK for Droid, but that is something the team can work on.

And yes, I'd love the IDE to be fully functional with code folding , a function list on the right , Oh and some kind of identifier for the various main tabs we end up having open, as in "DummyGame.main".

but the built in graphic functions AppGameKit has would make most programmers drool, did me when i first bought AGK.

So Buck up, we have before us one of the best game making systems around.

Oh and as for them working on other projects, I'm fine with that, they must make money to stay functional themselves.

We all know how hard programming anything is, let alone a language that works on many machines at once like AGK.

They did give all Kickstart people AppGameKit 1 while they wait, so go program, stop waiting in the forums like a bunch of kids on christmas day , trying to see whats under the tree.

And yes I check back here everyday. But if I see nothing is new, I go back to programming.

So go program now kiddies, play nice, and be glad you have AppGameKit to play with for now.

Hopefully will see AppGameKit 2 alpha 3 soon with its mighty code folding IDE! hint hint

So later all and happy programming!

I fight for the users!

It's Bird! , It's Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2014 18:00 Edited at: 19th Feb 2014 18:01
Iron, when you will make much money with your app, and you will need more and soon, you will join kids under christmas tree, and you will start to ask TGC to move on!!

Long life to Steve!
IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2014 21:34 Edited at: 19th Feb 2014 23:29
Oh I get what you mean Gekko.

I too want AppGameKit to be my everything language. But I find that is never the case with any language.

The reason I own and have downloaded so many graphics and game engines is because I'm always searching for the next big thing.

And I do use almost every language I have for various reasons.

But I learned long ago to settle for whats given too me from various language developers,

Till at least I see them screwing off, which I do not think TGC are doin, they just have a hard road to hoe.

And I use Monkey X, for HTML5 programs that become too large to code in javascript alone.

Even waiting on Spiderbasic to be complete, by the guys that make Purebasic to see what it will be able to do, as I do waiting for AppGameKit 2 to get updated.

But I like AppGameKit for its raw power, simplicity and just over all fun of use. and the fact that unlike Corona, AppGameKit makes Windows games right outta the box. sure you can run corona in its emulator, but thats not full on PC.

So in closing, I too wish they would move faster on AppGameKit 2, yes I donated for it, and will be so happy when code folding comes to AppGameKit, but I have lots to do in programming, not to mention Snow shoveling ,so i can wait, for a bit longer,

Later all and happy programming

I fight for the users!

It's Bird! , It's Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2014 21:56
Gekko, contact Rick and make an offer for AppGameKit

Back to support reloaded
- Graduate Application Engineer at the University of Auckland ITS department
- Microsoft NZ Windows Dev Division
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
IronGiant, just checked SpiderBasic, but it only does html. I already have C2 for that
IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2014 17:02 Edited at: 20th Feb 2014 17:10
Yea Adams, SpiderBasic is HTML5, pretty fast from what I've seen so far for a HTML5 engine.

And I like to code more than I like to click and drag, as Construct 2 and GameMaker do. Nothing wrong with that, I own GameMaker Studio and its click and drag.

Nothing wrong with click type programming.

But sometimes its nice to get your hands dirty, as in dig into the code without using blocks of Object Oriented but separate functions. I am gonna buy construct 2 later on. Pretty cool program.

But for now I'll stick to AppGameKit, Purebasic, HTML5 coding, a little Monkey X and Spider on the side. Plus Spider doesnt export an HTML5 page yet, but as in the case for AppGameKit 2, I can wait.

And I'm interested in all programming languages. Think I've at least written a "hello world" program in all of them even forth.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2014 18:07
There's no shame in using GameMaker, heck it's only as drag n drop as you need it to be - the actual language behind it all is not too bad. I wouldn't pick it over AppGameKit or DBPro, but I was able to write a cool game with my little brother in the space of a weekend. It's a great piece of software for learning from.

I use PureBasic a lot for systems at work, I much prefer it to VB, just seems to have more direct access to stuff that basic often just doesn't allow, or obfuscates - like system processes and file access privileges. Plus I do like how neat my code ends up in PB, it kinda demands neat code and has no patience for sloppyness, which is a good thing IMO.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I am using mainly C2 these days as it exports to a wide variety of formats and it's being updated all the time with new features.

I would like to see AGKv2 go somewhere, I have a couple of projects started in AppGameKit that I would like to finish in AGKv2, and not have to recode from scratch in C2.
Boulderdash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2014 02:20 Edited at: 21st Feb 2014 04:16
I looked at monkey before I found AGK

Monkey does not create executables for windows and macs, it uses the web browsers to run them as JavaScript

This open source ,intrepted language system of deployment put me off big time!

It was notable that there was no file system access, another big turn off !

There was very few commands in the language compared to AppGameKit !

I have used marks products and each time they fall short of perfection then he drops it because
he moves on to the next new product, blitz max was truly disgusting on windows ! With NO multi-threading
capability, monster sized executables, and it never worked the way windows gadgets where
supposed to work! Basically you could not make anything sellable with it.

He has a range of products and IMHO they should have been one product, not 4-5 inferior products.

For years many users asked him for the basics like icon definition, never happened !

In my opinion monkey is just like all of his other products and will never be good enough and
he will drop it for his next product, I'm not going there again so I have come back to the game creators.
XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Van B - Hotline Miami was made with GameMaker in case you didn't know.....
joachim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2014 04:21
Hi GEKKO,

are you working with XCode 5, iOS 7 and 108.21 ?

If yes, maybe you can help me to solve a problem.

Please let me know.

cheers
Caps On!
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is another game engine to check out...
www.godotengine.org

Truth, Justice, and the Programmer's Way!
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2014 06:06 Edited at: 21st Feb 2014 06:13
@Boulderdash
Quote: "I looked at monkey before I found AGK

Monkey does not create executables for windows and macs, it uses the web browsers to run them as JavaScript

This open source ,intrepted language system of deployment put me off big time!"

That's actually not true at all... Monkey absolutely creates executables for Mac and PC... native, glfw, ones in fact (you can also create an XNA .exe for Windows, if you'd like). You can create a browser version if you want to, in either HTML5 (javascript), or Flash (actionscript).

Quote: "
It was notable that there was no file system access, another big turn off !
"

There certainly are file system access functions built in, to some extent. Depends on what you want to do. You can read data from files just fine... in a nice crossplatform way.

There was very few commands in the language compared to AppGameKit !
"

You have a point there. There are fewer "out of the box" commands built into the standard Monkey libraries. However, it is a lot more flexible than AppGameKit as there are MANY 3rd party libraries extending capabilities to do almost everything AppGameKit has a command for (albeit perhaps slightly more difficultly than a single "command".) And you can write your own extensions to do whatever else you need.

I have used marks products and each time they fall short of perfection then he drops it because
he moves on to the next new product, blitz max was truly disgusting... Basically you could not make anything sellable with it."

Many people have, so i'd tend to disagree with that... Mark has been working very hard on Monkey for over two years since its release, releasing a new versions with bug fixes and feature enhancements every couple of weeks. I've been impressed. One of the main reasons I've been using it mainly lately.

We'll see if TGC gets AGKv2 sorted at some point in the future... I really want to like it.[i]
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2014 06:16 Edited at: 21st Feb 2014 06:21
@joachim - Yes buddy, i'm the king of iOS + AppGameKit
Sure if you need help just open another thread and i will help you!

For the thread....
Monkey X is superior on AppGameKit only on the way it compile in all platform, for the rest for me AppGameKit is the best.
TGC must, before of all, release 2 important things:

- Updated working Templates on all platform supported
- Tutorial to get them working pressing only BUILD or RUN!!!!

This is the most important thing, not V2 or 3D...
We need the V1 is being completed and soon, or for sure all will switch to another engine...

Look the forum, is full of how to do, how to do, don't work, android.....
Some of mine friends when i talk to them of AppGameKit, they ask me : "WHAT!?"....
AGK will never sell if they don't do a ONE TOUCH COMPILE for all platform.

Now is 2 months i got the Google Play subscription, and i never got Android AppGameKit working, what do you think i will do?

Long life to Steve!
Grook
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2014 10:11
There are real alternatives to AppGameKit out there (my personal favourite being monkey-x) - this thread proves it and The Game Creators team need to understand that.

GEKKO is 100% right with his 2 important requests. I was sold on Monkey-x the first time I compiled a simple hello world program, hit a button, and watched it running natively on my Nexus device.

TGC need to produce a complete 99.9% bug-free v1 with 1 touch compile to ios and android. Then concentrate on v2. This isn't a big ask. They then have a product that will sell and produce future revenue. The actual functionality of V1 is enough for most people to create good mobile games. I love AppGameKit and I like the TGC team but they are missing a big opportunity here by continuing to move forward to the next big thing without concentrating on getting the basics right.

"It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2014 11:15
I don't know why GEKKO has so much trouble with Eclipse. However, it's not needed, and nor is Cygwin. I've produced perfectly functional signed APKs using AppGameKit for Pascal simply by editing the post-build batch file to use ANT and ADT to compile and deploy straight over USB.

The whole Cygwin/Eclipse solution is messy, hard to understand, and long past its sell-by date.

I was amused reading the FPSC-R newsletter to see that they do exactly what I've been suggesting for a long time:

* Selected beta testers before publishing ANYTHING.
* Using Lua (like all the other games-builder packages)

Going too far too fast merely means dropping out of the race before the finishing line. Tomorrow's snow-board is of no use in today's Olympics.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2014 11:17
I don't think TGC are oblivious to the fact that there are alternatives, I think they're completely aware of what the trends are and what the options are.

They're a lot like us, not completely fricken stupid, some of us have ventured onto other websites and forums, some of us know that there are other languages out there, or all of us. If you prefer an alternative language, then go use that! - good luck, why are you still here.

A 1 touch compile to iOS is a big ask when Apple don't want it to happen. They see AppGameKit as a back door system, where people could get the player and run games etc without going through the app store.

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2014 12:03
It's not really a question of languages, as such. AppGameKit does graphics really well, but is rubbish at sound. That could have been fixed for V1. Now, it's down the to-do list.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I always used Fmod in T2 for sound.
I wish AppGameKit could deliver similar playback featured like Fmod out of the box
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2014 14:37
FMod is lethally expensive.

joachim
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2014 15:00
Hi Gekko,

I'm trying to get AppGameKit tier 2 working on iOS 7
and XCode 5. Is it working for you ?
If yes maybe you can help me with the error message:

Apple Mach-O Linker Error

(" ... AppGameKit for me remain the best, but is impossible to publish for Android in TIER 2. ") this sounds very disturbing to me. And I just
found out that nobody is using AppGameKit tier 2 for iOS, wonder why ????

cheers
Grook
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2014 17:28
I assume your post was aimed at my comments Van B. You've completely missed the point, perhaps intentionally - there's no need to get so defensive as others on here are also doing. Most of what has been said is constructive criticism. I'm "still here" despite switching to monkey, because I like AppGameKit and I can see the potential for it being a superb solution and I know I will use it again in the future. There's no doubting that AppGameKit is a good product, it's the missed potential of it that is frustrating. Maybe one-click deploy to ios IS a big ask but not for Android - this should have been done. Where it's not possible to do this, you must have clearly defined templates and processes. That should not be difficult to achieve should it?

Bottom line - look at the market you're trying to tap into and focus on what you can achieve at the lowest cost for the highest return. Trying to be everything to all people dooms you to failure.

"It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-09 23:19:07
Your offset time is: 2024-05-09 23:19:07