Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Evaluating another 2D engine....

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
a very interesting Blog about Delphi...

http://delphihaters.blogspot.com
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 08:56
My language lab system staff program is about 450,800 lines of Delphi source. The compiled program - which includes all icons etc built in - is 7.9 megabytes.

The core server Service, which handles hundred of simultaneous connections and file transfers, compiles to 1.17 megabytes.

There must be something a little odd about your program!

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@JimHawkins you are compiling everything into 1 prog. I want every single option in my main prog menu to be a separate runable file, so users can switch on/off options from the menu, and i can delete certain options to certain clients without having to compile a special version of the main program. I can do this in my current system, but I never found out how to do it in Delphi. Surely it is possible in some way, since the system I use was written in Delphi!
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 01:27 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2014 04:01
I'm moving completely to Monkey X.
I'm really sorry for AppGameKit developers, but on Android is completely UNSTABLE!!!

AGK is not good for production.
I can't wait for a stable version or update.
I will miss you all, very much!!!

Edit : Damn! I don't wanna leave AGK.... DAMN!!!! Why on Android it don't work!!!!!????? I'm going crazy!

Long life to Steve!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 06:36
xGEKKOx, I've had no problems with AppGameKit on my five different Android devices. I am using Tier 2 and compile my own Players as well. I don't use the online APK building tool.

I know you've posted issues elsewhere. But what are the main issues you've run into?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 09:24
@bjadams - Actual the main lab programs run a number of sub-modules. For example, networked speech, which can handle complex peer to peer connections, one to one and one to many, is in a separate program called MIPS.exe. This program is run if needed by using CreateProcess(), and the host program talks to it through a TCP/IP connection on localhost. It is 1.11 megabytes.

Other sub-programs are less time critical, and talk to the host using the Windows WM_COPYDATA inter-process messages.

If it's easier to have one program and activate only certain bits a suitable obscure control file is the simplest way to do this. That technique is applicable to AGK. You configure an appropriate control file for the customer, add it to the installer build and ship it.

I simply don't see how to get such vast executables!

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
GEKKO, I did 2 projects using AppGameKit on Android and I had no problems. I develope on Windows using T2 then compile on ios and Android. Everything worked fine on all the devices I tested.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
JimHawkins thanks for the info. I am looking into XE5 again!

Do Delphi, C++ builder and the HTML development suit share the same environment.

I'm not so sure if I should redo everything in something new (Delphi) or use the C++ or html builder. I have to test & test!!!
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 13:50 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2014 13:51
@bj - In fact most of the lab is coded with Delphi 7. I have to stay with this because I don't have source for all components, and the default string type changed from Ansi to Unicode with Delphi 2009. Those small file sizes are not a result of compiler changes.

For new stuff, currently, I use XE3. The IDE, as always with Delphi, is the best there is bar none. You can mix and edit C++ modules and Pascal modules in one project, if you wish.

HTML5 Builder does not use the same IDE, and you need to code in Javascript, unfortunately! So you can't have the same code-base across the targets here. But for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android, XE5 using Firemonkey allows you to have a single project for all platforms, and automatically adjusts the UI components for the target. Apart from the serious programming, I reckon one could knock up a gorgeous card game in a day.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 14:44
Hi boys, thanks for the help. I really tested a lot on Android...

Info :
- Crash randomly
- Screen size never the same
- Eclipse for windows lose paths on each debug
- Eclipse for MAC lose path sometimes
+ Netbeans MAC run well (i'm using it)

Now....
When i run my projects, ported to c++ from Obj c (the only difference are on NSString to "new char")
crash randomly on :
- HTTP Request to the server
- Sometimes crash on Audio
- Sometimes crash on Sync

I need to use Tier 2 with c++ on MAC or Windows (for my new hired coder)
I need to know also info about wich Android version is needed, CygWin or MinGW or something else.
Also i need to know which libs c++ to add to avoid some bugs as SIGXXX.

I use a Nexus 5 and a Samsung Note 2 and another tablet Mediacom, and the results are always different.

Is there someone that could do for me (i have no time) a complete template for Netbeans for MAC that work perfectly?

*** I will pay it 100$ via PayPal!!!!! ***

If is needed i will open some thread to offer some work (money) for some job!!
I think this is the way to go on!

Please answer to me

Long life to Steve!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
GEKKO, I think the big difference I see here is that most people are only using AppGameKit commands, so everything works fine cross platform. You are using a lot of custom code outside AppGameKit so that is always a headache to convert from platform to platform
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@JimHawkins I am very tempted to try to install the Delphi demo and get some tutorial book/video and start to do something!
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 17:04
On Android i'm using only AppGameKit commands.

Long life to Steve!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 20:37
xGEKKOx, you appear to be using an environment (NetBeans) that isn't what the AppGameKit build process was set up for.

Quote: "When i run my projects, ported to c++ from Obj c"

What are you porting?

Are you trying to do the Android builds on a Mac? If that is the case, I don't think I can help with that. At this point, I don't have NetBeans installed in any environment.

I did start setting up Eclipse and such on my Mac Mini but never finished, since I had 'Android' environment working on my Windows machines.

CygWin and MinGW aren't Android environments, they are Linux pseudo environments.

Since the Mac is basically Linux based, you wouldn't need to install cygwin or anything else for compiling at the command line level. The native command window for Mac would be used. The trick is adjusting paths for where the Android ndk is installed.

As for the Tier 2 builds, I never had to add anything to the environments set up for Windows, Android, Mac or iOS. Unless, you are adding things from outside of the AppGameKit world.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i think that he is trying to compile Android apps on Mac and the rest of us are doing it on Windows. That's the major difference
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 00:34
No boys, i tried it on Windows and on MAC, and it work only on MAC.
If i use netbeans, it work better, Netbeans do much thing in automatic, and for my patience it don't lose paths.

If i use Eclipse on MAC it runs but i don't understand nothing from the log. Too garbage in the console LOGCAT.

Eclipse on mac work like on windows, it lose c++ path and agk path and don't resolve .h
If i close/reopen it and i build without change nothing, it start, and crash saying "AGK closed blablabla"

I tried everything, i swear!!!
I'm using only c++ and AppGameKit command, nothing from outside.

The template don't work if i try to build it as it come, template_android....

The error is always the same!!

If it start, 1/100, crash randomly.

Who want 100$ to give me a damned template with the eclipse setting already setted?????
Where do you put your library (in the name of the GOD) path?????

I done all the tutorials, i read all the forum, and it worked only when i done by myself, randomly.

Please help me, i'm very frustrated, i'm thinking also to buy Corona SDK or something more expensive.

Long life to Steve!
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 14:33
Corona SDK Starter is free, you can try to experiment with it, but as production tool, is really expensive.
Unfortunately I cannot see AppGameKit doing to an happy end, with v2 there is only additional confusion; with v1 and v2, things that once worked without any problems, now seem to be broken.
Paul is certainly a software master, but a single developer cannot work onto 2 different code trains, I have installed v1 and v2, and no changes have been made on the help and title messages, so it is hard to distinguish wich product I am using. This is certainly a dirty way to proceed. No additions have been made on the IDE, that is not adequate to serious programming of thousands of lines of code.
Now I have stopped temporarily apps programming, but I think of people doing apps as way to earn their living, and frankly I do not understand how they can resist.
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 16:29
Just wanted to chime in to say that I've done Android compiles of T2 apps in Eclipse on Mac several times with no issues. Worked like a charm. Not sure why it's not working well for some people...
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 16:53
So unlikely, how did you do?
Which version you used?
Have you a working template for Eclipse for MAC?

Long life to Steve!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 17:27
xGEKKOx, I hate to say this, but is it possible that it is something in your code? If it crashes randomly, that doesn't sound like something that happens because of the build process. It sounds like a run process issue.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 02:33
Lady, i don't know if i'm not clear for my bad english, but the Hello World template, or Print FPS test, crash randomly too.

And when it work, when i change something, it seems to not change the file, even if i delete it from the phone.

With Android, too many strange things happen.
I only want a project that is tested to be ok.

Nobody can do this for me?
Nobody want 100$?? I don't understand....

Long life to Steve!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 02:40 Edited at: 4th Feb 2014 02:41
The problem Gekko is nobody else can seem to replicate any of the issues you seem to have. I've also built and compiled several Android apps using Eclipse on Windows and never had any such issues (playing with Tier 1 and Tier 2).
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 10:59
I've built all of the examples using Pascal and they all work perfectly on Android. Are you using the correct NDK and SDK levels? Are you compiling for the correct Arm chip?

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 15:19
Quote: "I only want a project that is tested to be ok."

I have personally tested the template_android project in the apps folder of the 108.21 build which works here. Does this project also crash for you?

My process of building an NDK app is to open cygwin and run "android-ndk-r6b/ndk-build 2> log.txt" in the project folder, then refresh the project in eclipse and build it.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2014 04:32
Hi Paul, finally someone....

r6b????

I'm using all the last release of all softwares (r9b i think) with the ndk-build compiler
You suggest me to use the r6b with the CygWin?
Is AppGameKit done to work only for r6b?

I need to understand this, or i will go round and round like a stupid.
In the while you answer me i will tell to my co-coder to try it.

Long life to Steve!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2014 04:47
I use r9 - no problems (I've also used r8 and r6)

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
It's been quite a few months since I built an Android app with AppGameKit, but I used r8d just fine last time.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2014 15:00
Quote: "Is AppGameKit done to work only for r6b?"

It's the one I used when I originally started work on Android, it may work with later version as other people have said, but I haven't upgraded yet.

If you do use r6b make sure you replace the android_native_app_glue.c file with the version I attached above to fix some input crashes.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Paul can you update to the latest ndk for android for agk v2?
if someone download ndk now, you can only get the latest version
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2014 22:53
I think a new tutorial is needed for Android with AGK.
A step by step TIER 2 guide.

- Libs to include
- NDK version and which compiler
- SDK Android version

All what is needed to get it compile.

Long life to Steve!
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2014 14:33
I use r8d to compile mine with no issues.

The ndk version is not the problem here.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 02:55
My co-coder is evaluating our c++ code piece by piece, to understand if the error is in our lines.
I hope this!!!

Long life to Steve!
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 03:45
If you're really desperate, you could try using a screen recording program to get a video of your compile process.
You'd need to do a complete rebuild though. Re-copy all the files and everything to make sure you've got all that done correctly.

If you post the video up here, maybe somebody will be able to figure out what the problem is.

It would really be disappointing to see you leave

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 00:42
I just abandoned Android for the moment.
I have too many games for iOS to release that i can't work on it.

Long life to Steve!
XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, it's been a while since I have chimed in on anything going on here but I'd thought I would drop by and say hello. It seems like there is some discontent here as the way that AppGameKit is being developed. I think I can agree with some but to say that TGC is not doing all it can do to make this easier is wrong. I do think though that TGC is having an identity crisis. They have several products that they are supporting for game creation. Dark Basic/Dark Basic Pro, AppGameKit, FPSC and FPSCR. Other companies that are in this business only have one product to support. I think it comes down to one thing for TGC, what do they want to support, who do they want to be? AppGameKit is probably the top product they need to focus on right now. FPSCR looks to be decent but it is really a niche product. It looks to be like a good product that may eventually be great, but we need focus on AGK.
So the question then becomes, how do you fix AGK.

Unify the product into one Product, call it AppGameKit Core and then break down the releases into modules/libraries. For example, Everyone that has only V1 get the features of V1 and everyone that has V2 gets both. Then when it comes to releasing say a V3,you have a V3 Module set you purchase that can then be added to your set. All the while making fixes to the Modules for V1 and V2. On top of that, you get stick guidelines for releasing to Mobile Platforms and tested to perfection for releasing and documenting this stuff. Consistency and Predictability need to be the goals for TGC and AppGameKit will be a real winner for them.
Also, Drop Alpha's for everyone, choose a select few that are willing to actively test, get that stable with them, push to Beta and release to a few more. Get it down right before you release to everyone else.
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 09:12
If you're looking for an alternative you might want to check out this new engine.

http://www.godotengine.org/wp/

It's open source and works in a similar way to unity. I only started playing with it yesterday, but it's pretty good for free.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 18:14 Edited at: 12th Feb 2014 18:16
The greatest inherent risk and danger of sticking with a product like AppGameKit is that it is not only closed-source but is only being developed by a single person.

There are so many libraries to maintain across the various platforms, many of which become deprecated long before TGC ever updates them. The Admob library, for instance, is still using a build from July 2012 and is seven versions outdated (later this year no apps will be allowed on Google Play that are still on these older versions of the SDK).

We have to put all our trust into Paul updating everything and adding whatever desired features we wish. I really enjoy the AppGameKit syntax and find it easy to develop with, but the fear of unstable and infrequent updates is of concern.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2014 20:05
Let's hope he doesn't get hit by a bus too

oct(31) = dec(25)
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2014 00:59
Xanthor said the truth...
I agree with him in all.

Long life to Steve!
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2014 01:35
I agree as well. The main thing is stability and simplicity, especially in compiling for mobile devices.

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2014 08:28
Quote: "The greatest inherent risk and danger of sticking with a product like AppGameKit is that it is not only closed-source but is only being developed by a single person."

So a couple of experienced forum members should get together and create an open source development kit by themselves...

Visit my blog: sebastianpauli.tumblr.com
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Agree with Xanthor.
fog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2014 22:19 Edited at: 13th Feb 2014 22:19
I'm getting a severe case of deja vu here. Excuse me if I go on a bit of a rant.

Dig up some old DBPro threads and you'll hear the exact same complaints about updates, bug fixes etc. We've been here before.

My biggest worry though is for the future. Even if Paul was to stop adding new features now, maintaining the language so it is stable and compatible with all the latest platform SDKs, latest iAd/AdMob etc etc would be a full time job if done properly. Is anyone confident that will happen? After V2 is done, new platforms will be targeted and Paul will be forced to firefight again, never being given quite enough time to make the existing engine stable. I hope I'm proved wrong.

What Paul has achieved so far is no mean feat, we're all programmers and know bugs happen, it only becomes a problem if he's not given enough time to fix the things.

Give Paul one day a week to work exclusively on bugs (does anyone even bother with that Google list anymore?) and answer queries, give support on the forum etc. If people could see them being addressed then everyone would be happier.

Focus on adding one feature set and getting it completely stable before moving on to something else. Make AppGameKit the best 2D multi-platform engine on the market, which is after all what the vast majority of us bought it for. (I know a vocal few might want 3D, but look around the forum and see how many are actually using it.)

How hard is it for someone to drop into the forum once a week and give a progress update? Weeks of silence and a lack of response to long standing community concerns is exactly why threads like this exist.

And if you have a complaint then voice it constructively, it's in all our interests to see AppGameKit become what it should be, but don't give up on it entirely. Install a version that is stable for you and use your time productively while you wait for the next, hopefully stable and bug free release. I am.

I could go on but I better stop there. Apologies if I sound overly negative. I love AppGameKit, loved DBPro and, given their limited resources, have much admiration for what TGC manage to achieve, it's just born of frustration that after all these years there still seems to be a lack of direction and communication, lessons haven't been learned and it feels like history is repeating itself.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Other game creation tools like Construct2 are developed by only 1 person too, but WHAT A DIFFERENCE between the release rate of Construct2 & AppGameKit!!!!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2014 23:50 Edited at: 15th Feb 2014 01:10
Quote: "Other game creation tools like Construct2 are developed by only 1 person too, but WHAT A DIFFERENCE between the release rate of Construct2 & AppGameKit!!!!"

Yeah, that's very impressive and check out all their supported platforms including Wii-U! AFAIK, Paul is working exclusively on AppGameKit so it's unfortunate the updates and news about it are so far and few in between (last Kickstarter update was about 2 months ago and AppGameKit V2 is already 5 months behind schedule).

Scirra also at least writes 2-4 blog entries a month discussing the latest developments with Construct--and each of the two brothers involved in it have their own dedicated blogs to write more technical news about every development (much like Lee does for FPSC:R). This is far more inviting than the black hole we get with TGC and AppGameKit updates. Not sure if it's a deliberate marketing decision by Rick to resist communication, work overload, or what, but going months with hardly any news puts a damper on my interest in AGK.

(To add, it seems FPSC:Reloaded has taken the front spot PR-wise with press releases, weekly newsletters, etc. I've backed that as well--although it still only had half the number of backers on Kickstarter as AppGameKit V2.)
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 03:53
Come on boys, i think if Paul could release some "modules" (we can say 2 at least) each month, to power the AppGameKit V1, i think it could be a best seller product.

But, not all peoples think the same....
Usually i always get the marketing, but, who can say, i can be wrong...

Long life to Steve!
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 04:29
From my perspective, AppGameKit is the best mobile coding out there. Far better than the popular ones like Construct 2 and GM:Studio
The reason they are extremely popular and AppGameKit isn't?
AGK isn't polished enough, it needs a better IDE, a more stable commandset, better/more 2D commands (such as draw modes) and a simpler way of publishing to mobile platforms.
I think/suggest that TGC focus on this, it is what I, as a TGC customer, would love, and I believe it's the only thing holding AppGameKit back.

Like I said, AppGameKit is the best coding out there for smartphones. Even just a one click deploy built into the IDE would be a huge improvement.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Easter Bunny, at least with C2, you post a bug in their forums and you get a patch in less than 2 weeks... and all this is managed by 1 man!

I bought AppGameKit v1 before it was released, and also kickstart-funded v2, but I'm moving all my development over to C2 as AppGameKit v2 is taking a long time to come.

Funnily enough I got to know of C2 from a post on these forums!!!!

I also got to start liking Delphi through these forums... i was looking for a quick RAD solution to develop productivity apps on mobile with buttons etc, and Delphi & their C++ Builder seem like a great solution, though a bit too expensive!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2014 21:30
Quote: "AGK isn't polished enough, it needs a better IDE, a more stable commandset, better/more 2D commands (such as draw modes) and a simpler way of publishing to mobile platforms.
I think/suggest that TGC focus on this, it is what I, as a TGC customer, would love, and I believe it's the only thing holding AppGameKit back."

I agree 100%!

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2014 17:15
What is C2?

Long life to Steve!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-10 07:39:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-10 07:39:15