Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / We're collecting your bugs!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 00:24
Another vote for Pixel Perfect Sprite Collision!!!
DBC had it, I believe. I owned DBC. I bought DBP because it appeared to hav pixel perfect collision like it's predecessor. It doesn't. I'm annoyed. It's a bug, at least in my world.

I am the lead programmer at red spark studios
I also have a blog on how to make a game engine
http://www.dbgame.blogspot.com
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 00:42
Mainly its because how DirectX9 treats sprites - in order to create PPC now, you have to compare pixels from the image and deal with rotation. I dont think its easy.

Visit http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~nickk/
I have no signature.
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2005 23:20
Quote: "I dont think its easy."

You´re right. That´s why we need it done for us!
I did try to do it on my own though but I totally failed.
I think I´ll have another shot in C sometime.

¿Como estas you el dia de today?
Clueless
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2005 10:37
The terrain commands that existed before the release of the free plugin were broken by the plugin. The syntax for the commands is invalid now... the plugin is BEAUTIFUL but, for example, it's not helpful when you can no longer position the terrain because that command isn't recognized anymore.

I'd also love to have a version of the plugin that doesn't stop working every few weeks as if the registration has expired, requiring me to go through the Win control panel | Admin Tools | Remove Programs to remove and then reinstall the plugin. Yes, I've followed the registration instructions exactly as given. This has happened five (5) times now.
Blue Icarian Wings
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2005 20:14
[CEXE]
m_dwRuntimeErrorDWORD=0
m_dwRuntimeErrorLineDWORD=166

just replace 166 with whatever line you want, code that was fine yesterday morning would not work yesterday afternoon, now when I comment out a line to remove the bug I get the same bug on the line of code before

my error log!

I'm not a masochist, I'm a programmer, please let it work
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2005 23:50
Try removing everything from the DBPro\Temp directory & resetting the machine.

I have no signature.
Blue Icarian Wings
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2005 06:23
will do, thanks for your help, (I always feel bad for asking when you answear your penguin looks slighty annoyed and I feel like I'm being a hassle,.......)
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2005 06:26
Yes, its how I feel at the end of each working day, after having to deal with idiotic customers, and a boss who wont do much for himself...

Blue Icarian Wings
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2005 05:57
Well I think your great! (yeah it worked I can code again, however it happen one more time and wiped the entire directory except the main code file and the dbpro file )
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
i hate the fact that users have to have the latest directx. CR included a function in the .net plugin to return the user's DX version, so maybe you can say "you don;t have the correct DX version to run this app" but what's the pint if the app wont load in the first place?

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2005 02:48
I've asked Lee ages ago to add a system whereby user code can be called before DBPro initialises and then continues (or not) based the result of this.

Narf The Mouse
Years of Service
User Offline
If you have time, fix that small str$ problem where it won't convert larger numbers than an int. Thanks.

Cheese!
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
STB, i remember you mentioning it at the convention.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2005 07:20
Indeed - I like repeating myself you see...

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 04:00
Just to let you guys know I can promise the debugger will be better in V1.058 that in V1.057. I had a few spare hours on Sunday and dug in deep to find the cause. It was a well hidden bug. I had to trace through two DLLs and the compiler to find it, and the bug did not exist in debug mode, just release mode, had to use all my assembly tricks to find out what it was. The bug was caused by an assumption that a debug program has an application name, which in test mode it does not, and a piece of code which removes the last four characters of this name would be used to modify the name. Alas the code actually wrote into four bytes outside the address space of the function and wrote into the stack information causing register EDX to be changed, so when the function returned to the main body of code, a simple for next loop went do lally and accessed an impossible area of memory, ergo, access violation. The buck stopped with the setup.dll which will be included as part of upgrade 5.8 along with some other things we might decide to do. We tend not to promise things these days as it gets us into trouble, but I can promise that the debugger has changed for V1.058 and I think for the better. As a side note, it can now parse and debug the entire FPSC Game Engine source code (18,000 lines).

Additionally, upgrade 5.8 will focus on stability, not additional features so the ability to view user defined types and arrays will have to wait for another upgrade release. I think we can all agree stability is paramount. Releasing this upgrade is high on the list after FPSC-EA, even if it is just to give you the new debugger!

"We are the knights who say...eki eki eki fatang loopzoing, zanziga....ni"
Blue Icarian Wings
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 05:40 Edited at: 24th Jan 2005 06:10
stability = good

I hate programming and not knowing whether the bug is mine or not,........

Edit:
Would it be possible to initalise variables at their declartion?, without the complier crashing?
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 08:08
Thanks Lee. This is the best news I've had since I had to go back working night shift.

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 10:26
btw what the hell is up with the 100s of folders called DBPDATA being made in the temp directory :/
Nemo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 17:51
Hi there.
I dont see any mention of the size sprite issue i have had of late so here goes. When i use size sprite or stretch sprite the sprite width and sprite height commands still return the original size. I think this was maybe a bug in an older version but i hadn't used sprites then. I'm now using 5.7 and i am having this problem for the first time. This is quite a problem for me as it makes building a HUD and menu system quite difficult when you cant get the correct width for any sprites currently on screen.

Sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere, i have not been on the site much recently.

In the future we will not spank the monkey, the monkey will spank us.
Blue Icarian Wings
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2005 19:23
Tis' probably the magic of the IDE fairys,..............
freight hopper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 02:04
Regarding 1.058 fix, outstanding Lee, truly outstanding.

- hunched-over dude on lead track 2 with a bedroll and plastic water jug
Jan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2005 05:36
thanks Lee

I was about to give up

I'm very pleased that you're focussing more on stability now.
Being programmers, we can deal with 'cranky' functions and procedures; but if stability is the problem, all hell breaks loose.

Btw. looking forward to see a living debugger.

Best regards
Jan

Remember that 2+2=7 for sufficiently large values of 2.
Narf The Mouse
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I've got a potential critical one. It hasn't been confirmed on anyone elses comp yet, but I've run a test program and it seems arrays can't handle double integers.

Did a quick addition to the test program; DWORD seems fine, but floats are treated as integers.

You'll have to scroll down a bit:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=46494&b=18&p=0

Cheese!
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 04:14
hmm how about adding a command? rename directory would be great (would save me coding too) cause I have to like make a temporary directory then move all the files from the directory I want to rename to the temp directory then delete the dir I want to rename then make a new dir where the dir I want to rename was located with the new name I wanted then move the files from temp to renamed dir then delete temp dir

Computers are stupid all they do is calculate. Your the one that makes the computer do stuff
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2005 05:03
As posted in this thread. Move file and rename file commands work on directories. If anything we need a copy directory command, but they already said no new features until bugs are fixed. You can manually copy the files to a new directory or use CR & Exeats plugin until then.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=46767&b=1

Jedi Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 11:46
I have problem with Website chat, it does not work can you fix it to make it work or send me the email for what i must do to make it work.
Please help me on chat,
Tyler Scott Crandall
Tyler@crd-dwc.com

All the help you will need
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 13:01
Yeah, first off, wrong place for that post.

Your banned for now for excessive flooding, and pissing me off by flooding in PM.

<Mouse> lag, d'you like "real" RPGs? : <drac_work> ... : <drac_work> isnt that an oxymoron : * Mouse slaps drac_work :
<Mouse> don't contradict me bitch
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2005 19:40 Edited at: 28th Jan 2005 19:41
I have a few thoughts, but they are more limmitations that i wish could be corrected. I know these are technically not bugs, but they are close enough:

ByRef Argument Passage - All variables are passed ByValue (var copy). If it could only be passed one way, it should technically be ByRef for more control. I'm not saying yank out ByVal and replace with ByRef, but it would be nice to also have ByRef

UDT Array Passage - You can pass a variable in a function that is UDT only if that variable is not part of an array. For example, the following code will not compile:

This is a major inconvenience, and, it seems, this code should be able to run.

Home of DOOP, Strata Works, and Height
Gen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 00:17
Quote: "Latest community bug list found here

Comments and input appreciated as always"

Damn, thats a lot of bugs . But as we all know there being taken care of .

Soon to come...
Dark IDE, New IDE for DarkBASIC Pro!
Two plug-ins, A Time/Date and New File commands.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "The bug was caused by an assumption that a debug program has an application name, which in test mode it does not, and a piece of code which removes the last four characters of this name would be used to modify the name. Alas the code actually wrote into four bytes outside the address space of the function and wrote into the stack information causing register EDX to be changed, so when the function returned to the main body of code, a simple for next loop went do lally and accessed an impossible area of memory, ergo, access violation. The buck stopped with the setup.dll which will be included as part of upgrade 5.8 along with some other things we might decide to do"

is that lee's way of saying he did something really stupid but then blagging it to sound complicated so none of us understand what he means making the bug sound very technical indeed?

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2005 02:29
Probably...

Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.
Jake Blues
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2005 13:46
The main thing, as everyone has said is the debugger.
Also, I have had some problems with the get bitmap. It won't save the 2D commands like box and line. I have to convert it to a sprite before getting the image.

Don't let life get you down, it will only get better.
Blue Icarian Wings
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 00:23 Edited at: 1st Feb 2005 00:23
More compiler fun!

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=47334&b=15

While your fixing the debuger, could you take the compiler off to one side, and explain that it doesn't really need to delete all my source code (resulting in me having to rescue it from the recycle bin each), that'd be peachy,.......

at this point still waiting for a yay or nay on the bugs report board, but if I'm right, it is a bloody stupid thing for the compiler to do,......
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 02:29
Quote: "and explain that it doesn't really need to delete all my source code"

Thats the editor - nothing can be done about that.

Blue Icarian Wings
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2005 21:51
happened with BlueIDE too
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
nothing happened

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=47518&b=1

some peopl;e have been complaiining about the cpu usage problem, the guy above isnt the first

Emerson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2005 00:44
Command to set light created by "Make Light 1". Don't have any command like the "Set Ambient Light" to set the light created?

Emerson - http://www.dynamicgames.com.br
ThomasFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2005 02:19 Edited at: 13th Feb 2005 02:20
I have a problem. Recently, I installed a Direct3D graphics card. Whenever I try to execute any program with dbpro, my screen goes like this:
[img]C:/Photos/FuzzyScreen.jpg[/img]
And I can't do anything with the mouse or keyboard. After the fourth try my system went dead and I had to run a system repair on XP. Help??

Thomas Smith
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2005 02:26 Edited at: 13th Feb 2005 02:33
You've got a totally screwed system - most probably either DirectX itself (which you wont be able to re-install) or a video driver.

I've got something similar on one of my machines, which is made worse by the fact that there are bad sectors - so all non-windows mode games are out (both commercial and DBPro). For me, this means even the DirectX checks wont complete (have to reset the machine).

As its used by my mother for her Univeristy work, I cant do much about it (its in continual use and a new hard drive & re-installation would require at least a day).

Tartopom
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

Enhancements (ogg, ...) & physics pack (position emmiter, ...), should be great.
DcZee
Years of Service
User Offline
Lighting fixes would be very nice to see. Seems that problems with the hardware lights permeates several other issues such as the "cant light an object that has been scaled" or the "Bumpmapping turns my object pitch black". It would be nice to see lighting fixed as it could solve some level design issues.

Shaders: more information about them would be handy. The built in shaders are wonky though and unreliable. A fix there would be great.

Better documentation of commands,..most of the commands with flags have zero description of what the flags are.

Collision system is toast to,..but its compensated for by the ngc system.

BSP levels. I had thought that fpscreator work would have made this fix a shoe in but from reading Lee's diary (and the rumoured exporting of the level design to dark basic pro) i guess its not set in stone that a fix for that will be forthcoming on u5.8

I ran across a new bug though,...when using the set object command to set flags for various object setups, it seems to bleed through to all objects. if I set object A cull flag, it shifts object B's transparency flag from 4 to 2,..and the old blue background edge pops back in. If i use set object transparency A, it works fine. so something must be up with the set object flagging. The discrete commands work fine,..but i like using the all in one set object command (hehe less typing).

Using set object alpha on and setting the transparency level of a declared transparent object (one with the key color set ), results in the background color bleeding into the key color as the objects transparency reaches zero. Looks weird. It ignores all the true 3d background and goes straight to the old blue background. The main part of the object stays transparent properly but all key color areas fade to the background (blue screen)
4N!ALA70R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2005 16:54
im not sure if this has already been said or if it is a problem on my computer:

when two objects are close together and one is not meant to be seen due to 3D, the 'top' object will hav holes in it and you can see bits of the bottom object.

best way to view this is with a matrix with a same sized box below it, space it like one unit from the matrix

like i said it could be just my graphics
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2005 17:23
Sounds like Z Fighting...

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2005 23:44
Mouse - could you add 'General compiler dodginess' (compiler generates a Windows error, but program runs fine). Unfortunately this seems to be entirely random, but possibly caused by code that isn't in a project.

Techno Freak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2005 13:21
Just looking at the list of bugs, if the collision has those problems then how come so many quality games have been made?
How can you get around these problems?
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2005 22:08
@Techno Freak : DBP collision is terrible. Most people use NGC v2 for their collisions. You can also use a combination of intersect object with the collision commands to make them more accurate. Though this also make it run slower. Making a mesh from the object, deleteing the object and making the object back from the mesh also seems to make the collision more accurate for unknown reasons.

The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2005 17:02
Quote: "could you add 'General compiler dodginess' (compiler generates a Windows error, but program runs fine). Unfortunately this seems to be entirely random, but possibly caused by code that isn't in a project.
"

Apparently, Dark Basic Pro runs back to its C++ roots. This tends to happen to me whenever I attempt to use a variable without initializing it first. In theory, they are all supposed to initialize to 0 (or "" in the case of strings), but this doesn't always happen I've noticed. Finding the variable and setting it to 0 ususally fixes this, but it's really more of a nusence than a problem as after the crash, my program seems to run just fine.

Someone noticed lighting issues earlier as something that needs working on. Forgive me for not sifting through the 5 pages of this thread, but scaling an object doesn't seem to scale its normals. That would be peachy to see that corrected!

Home of DOOP, Strata Works, and Height
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2005 08:37
How about an updated list since bug week is nearing? Thank you.

Tartopom
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't forget "physics" pack bug, in particulary position emmiter one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 08:17:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 08:17:21