Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / - DBPro Coding Challenges -

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 18:19
Deadline has passed. Only one entry into this competition.
So, by default, the winner is:

( 2b || !2b ), that is the question. The answer: true
acelepage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 18:26
@Phaelax,
I had the same idea. I began compiling the challenges. I have gotten to page 132, which takes it to challenge # 67, Jun 24 2007.
I have documented Challenge name, Deadline, Winner, Runner-up, and all code entries.
I was going to create a database on my web page and post a searchable interface to the data.
I have been scanning the forum thread manually, so it will be a few more weeks before I could get it posted. If you can script it, that would seem more efficient. If you are interested in the data I have so far, drop me an email.

Sounds like a challenge: Who can post a database of challenges first

( 2b || !2b ), that is the question. The answer: true
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2010 22:05
You can do it in pure DarkBASIC using windows dlls, would be a bit of an off-beat challenge .

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2010 00:38 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2010 01:49
Looks like a more advanced version of HTTrack. Unfortunately, I use a Mac to access the Internet. Technically, I could probably write a PHP script to parse the 180 pages for me. The hard part though is determining the dates of the challenges. Since there isn't a consistent format of posting a new challenge name and date it'd be difficult to get a script to pick it up on its own without some user intervention. So my challenge is to collect the challenges.

Unless that website exists somewhere. Isn't there a website that lets you look back at older sites, sort of like a time capsule or something? I thought i've seen people use it before on here.

I wrote a script to help simply the tedious work of sorting through the challenges manually, which I believe I'll have to do. Acelepage, feel free to use the script as well if you think it can help. Basically what it does is strip out all the junk I don't need to know about the thread and displays a simplified version of the page, no avatars no signatures, no crap! It will also highlight any post in blue which contains the word "challenge", which should at least help a little to find when a new challenge is set.

http://zimnox.com/challenge_spider.php?p=0

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2010 01:53
@BMacZero - Possible - yes. Sounds Painful.

@Phaelax - There are archives like that but here - you have the real deal - up to date. And to your comment about the difficulty trying to parse out the data without human intervention etc - I couldn't agree more.

I'm thinking this thread needs some pull to get folks challenging again. When was the last DarkBasic active users poll taken? Was such a thing ever done by TGC?

It'd be neat if somehow there were some prizes or something to get folks competing... Maybe even Software licenses or something.. maybe a 3D "resource" like a model or something from the TGC store - nothing major - but at least then competing and winning could get folks a little collection of game making "bits" together over time.. maybe even some 2nd and third prizes ... dunno... Just thinking out loud.

the idea of you folks trying to rake this site and do your own kind of archiving etc seems to be sparked from lack of interest or fear that the thread will die out or something. I'f I'm wrong - forgive me I only scan stuff pretty quick concerning this thread because I'm pretty busy etc.. but I'm still a TGC fan and encourage challenges and programming games and collaboration etc...

(steps off soap box)

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2010 17:37
It seems as everyone get bored of this challenge`s thread....even me !! maybe people have gone on vacation... I'm thinking about what to do... setting up a new challenge, or going bed to sleep.

Just let me know!!

Cheers

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2010 17:52
Just keep setting them. Every once in a while everyone zones out for a few challenges. They'll be back.

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2010 22:30 Edited at: 24th Jun 2010 17:00
@Phaelax/anyone:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://dbp-site.com/
but it loads for ever, had just one working from 2006...
Don't know if that helps.

Wait. It's just the front page?! Looks like the actual challenge-list isn't even in the archive

Well, if the latest one is 2008 that wont help much if you already got halfway through here or something...

Edit:
http://web.archive.org/web/20071215215456/www.dbp-site.com/challenges
seems to be a partial list? but no dates or anything, just the challenge names... I guess this is a dead end.
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2010 06:03
chafari,
please set a challenge
these are great to get people thinking in new directions.

hey hey! ho ho! 1100110!
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2010 17:24
Hi all. Sorry for the delay.

For this new challenge, just make a sandstorm effect for first person game. Deadline next 30th of june...we´v got a week time.

Cheers.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2010 15:48
Unfortunately, time is over, and tomorrow starts my vacation.Maybe some of you would like to set the new challenge.

Bye.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
DarkRiver
Years of Service
User Offline
Next challenge:

Make a place(beach, forest, desert, or something else)

Matrix map
Sky
Weather(rain, sunshine, snow...)

Other things (trees, houses...)

Time: 5days
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 18:45
AHHH!!! So SandStorm didn't stick... No Challenge currently? Hmm... I know I've been too busy to "play" but I'm always "involved from a distance" .... But I'm really curious as to what's next on the challenge Agenda - Especially for DBPro...

I know there's no media, folks should use their own code, folks should be able to upload source code to thread and it should run as is and no memblock usage right?

I'll recheck the rulez - but I've been pondering whether or not I should take a stab at this for the fun of it.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
memblock usage is 100% fine, you just have to use DBPro's core commands, and people don't have to use all of their own code (but it would be uber lame to copy too much :p)

and yeah, run as is.

Is't life, I ask, is't even prudence, to bore thyself and bore thy students?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 03:09
Aw man, you mean I spent all morning building my rpg character editor for nothing? I was actually going to enter.

What about a GUI challenge?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 14:10
I'd second a GUI comp. Its been a while since I've jumped on one of these comps and I love tinkering with GUI stuff. Actually, I've been wanting to start a new GUI anyways. If we do go that route I'd recommend at least a week... maybe even two. Good idea.

coldfire
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 19:33
i think we should accept dark river's challenge, make a place,
it lasts 5 days, then whoever wins that can set a *new* challenge
(gui, rpg char, AI whatever)

hey hey! ho ho! 1100110!
5 Full Games
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 20:54
5 Days seems a bit short for a whole "scene", but okay I'll try to enter this one (not sure if I'll find enough time this weekend).

But I'd definitly be in for a GUI challenge (or AI or anything with some logics and calculations and stuff )
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, lets just go with dark's challenge. It doesn't last long and it'd be easy to complete. does it end the 5th or the 6th?

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 22:22
Hi all.Whatever you decide,is going to be ok... I would like to participate in Dark River´ s one,but I promissed my wife... not in our vacation ....good luck you all.

Cheers.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 01:09 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2010 01:26
5 days isn't long, considering its a holiday weekend most people will probably be busy.

Ok, ignore my previous comment about the rpg character creator, that was the DBC challenge and I mixed them up.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2010 01:18
Today is the 5 day deadline for "make a place" challenge, anyone entering?

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2010 02:36
i say someone set a challenge.
whoever sets a challenge first, gets to be the challenge setter.

but if we want to argue over it, someone else decide.

just a suggestion.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2010 03:59
Challenge: GUI

Pick any existing program or make up a new one on your own and make a useable interface. For instance, you don't have to make an actual 3D modeller, but make the interactive interface or something. Mimic Outlook or a Mac OS desktop. Its a chance for building functional GUI components (sliders, text input) and eye candy!

deadline: ??

What's everyone think? I know last week several people showed possible interest.

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2010 06:21
sounds good to me, but i sux at gui but a challenge is a challenge

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2010 19:48 Edited at: 7th Jul 2010 19:59
There's a GUI tutorial on my website that might help you get started.

As an announcement to everyone else, I have updated my website with all DBP challenges from 2005 and 2006. Yea, believe it or not we've been doing these for 5 years now! Thanks to acelepage, I was able to get these challenges done quickly, but let me know if anyone finds mistakes. I've added 360 entries into the database over the past 2 days, so I might possibly have slipped up somewhere.

It'll take a few more weeks for me to get everything up to 2010, I still have to maintain DBC as well (although its slowed down a bit).

Also, for those who haven't noticed yet, there is an offical TGC challenge going on right now, one that we've done before..... Space Invaders! It's a 20-line challenge.

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 16:46
thx, phaelax,
i'd say 10 days on this compo.

and, since you didn't actually *win* the previous one,
you have every right to enter this one.

and yeah, i'm workin' on the space invaders compo also...

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2010 22:59
Cool, I was wondering if I could enter this. I only tried naming a challenge to hopefully get the ball rolling again.

Wonder if I can use the iTunes clone I've been working on in the WIP board? But that might give me an unfair head start.

IBOL, we had a space invaders challenge back in July 2006, might be worth looking at to help your entry for the 20 liner.

Aurum Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jul 2010 21:24
Cool, I've actually been working on a GUI that incorporates LUA, so I'm somewhat familiar with GUI's.

I've hardly been active in this forum, usually because I don't have time. I'll enter this if I can find time to do it
garlantinapple
Years of Service
User Offline
the maps shows it off the coast of Africa?
Aurum Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 05:35
Scratch that... I don't have time for a GUI challenge, I don't feel like making code to sort window drawing order and all that stuff at the moment Apparently nobody else seems interested anyways.

Maybe we could try doing a challenge similar to the Rock, Paper, Scissors one we did last year (starting on page 134); the concept being that people's entries compete against each other.

Perhaps it could be graphical this time if we did do that. Maybe the entrant programs could control predators that eat prey controlled by swarm AI, and the entry that gets points equal to the number of prey he "eats"? (or something to that effect)

In any case, the challenge needs to be reset.

@garlantinapple:
Wrong thread?
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2010 15:10
@Aurum knight:
Same here, and there wasn't even a deadline set

Your's sounds like a nice idea, but i can't promise that I'll be in it.
Let's see if anyone else would enter that one.

And for the actual challenge: some kind of AI competition sounds interesting. Someone would have to make some kind of frame, with the information the hunters will get about the prey, and stuff.
Gio
Years of Service
User Offline
Perhaps one method to get more entrants would be to archive this thread and sticky a new challenge thread?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2010 01:33
People showed interest originally when I mentioned the idea, then nobody did anything for 2 weeks.

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2010 12:59
Quote: "People showed interest originally when I mentioned the idea, then nobody did anything for 2 weeks."

33 days ago from the last time I set the new challege and no one line of code ...perhaps it´s me !!...I`m out

do
Cheers.
loop

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2010 14:05 Edited at: 27th Jul 2010 14:09
Quote: "33 days ago from the last time I set the new challege and no one line of code ...perhaps it´s me !!...I`m out
"

Well there was this challenge on 7th July set by Phaelax:
Quote: "Challenge: GUI

Pick any existing program or make up a new one on your own and make a useable interface. For instance, you don't have to make an actual 3D modeller, but make the interactive interface or something. Mimic Outlook or a Mac OS desktop. Its a chance for building functional GUI components (sliders, text input) and eye candy!

deadline: ??
"

But noone entered in both of the challenges...
And for the next challenge... I'll not be at home for 2 weeks from the 3rd August, so don't count me in i guess.
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2010 15:07
@RedFlames

Don`t worry, you can go on vacation and return back home, and you`ll be on time to enter you code

Not time to code !! most of us are on hollydays, as it must be !! ha ha.

Cheers.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "do
Cheers.
loop"

MAKE IT STOP!!!

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2010 13:53
If things are slowing down here and you all need a distraction, might I suggest my dice game challenge? Maybe you could make a medialess version of that challenge? and I could help upgrade what you judge as the winning entry?

Just a thought, Cheers!

here is a quick link to my Dice Challenge thread..
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=172821&b=1

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 09:22
i'm just going to throw this out there, it doesn't have to be official:

##########
Challenge

Create a model of an animal behavior.
birds or fish flocking,
ants following pheromone trails,
bees finding flowers/pollen,
cows grazing,
lions hunting,
etc.

some graphical representation is probably necessary, but it doesn't have to be the focus of the challenge.
more like the reality of the model.

deadline: 2 weeks.

Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2010 07:35 Edited at: 15th Aug 2010 08:59
Hey gang,

I haven't been doing much with DBP lately, but it's disheartening to see the challenge thread suffering. I'm a bit rusty, but here's my current effort at an ant simulation per IBOL's challenge.

There are still quite a few optimizations that need to be done and it doesn't work quite right yet, but it's a solid start I think.

Current issues I know of are:

That aside, maybe it'll inspire somebody to something better.

Here's my entry:

Cheers,
Frank
IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 07:39
@Pharoseer ,
Awesome! great study on ants, and
very well written and commented code!

i messed around with your program, but couldn't solve the trail-following problem either.

is it supposed to show the pheromone trail? on mine it doesn't .

i turned the heartbeat up to 1400 and just watched. it's amazing!

Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2010 08:59 Edited at: 15th Aug 2010 10:15
Sorry, I apparently posted code that I hadn't fully retested after a failed attempt to smooth the performance. I fixed it and edited the previous post.

Here's my change log:

And wow, never thought to set the heartbeat so high. That is awesome. I never expected it to look quite like that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers,
Frank

*EDIT* (Twice edited -- made something more interesting that I think you'll like. A seamless texture generator of sorts).

After what you said about cranking up the heartbeat I had an idea so decided to play around with it. I made this little, trimmed down, variation. The ants are still there, but the food and anthill aren't so they just wander aimlessly. Also, I switched up the way they're drawn so that the ant color is constantly changing, blending smoothly from one color to the next. Here's the new code:

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 19:45
a flock of fish?

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2010 19:56
i believe the behavior exibited by a school of fish is called 'flocking'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flocking_(behavior)

it sounds pretty interesting, and i've seen it modeled before on the forums somewhere...

& @Pharoseer, nice updates!

adamika2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2010 03:27
HI!

I made a hive. I don't finished yet, because there are some mistakes in the program

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 07:48
Beop() is not defined. can't run it.

chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 15:48
Quote: "Beop() is not defined. can't run it."

Just put remstart and remend between this lines....

Quote: " if beop(0).work = 1 then
center text screen width()/2,screen height()/2, "Searching for flowers"
end if

if beop(0).work = 2 then
center text screen width()/2,screen height()/2, "Fly to the flower"
end if

if beop(0).work = 3 then
center text screen width()/2,screen height()/2, "Fly home"
end if"

cheers.

I'm not a grumpy grandpa
adamika2000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2010 00:22
Run it:

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2010 19:35
So it has been two weeks... Did anyone win?

Guns, cinematics, stealth, items and more!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 06:03:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 06:03:10