Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / - DBPro Coding Challenges -

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2005 12:37
nice function.

and what future challenge is that?

"eureka" - Archimedes
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2005 15:50
Okay - here's me playing around. Nothing serious. An interesting effect is that the faster you move the mouse, the less the mass moves, but move the mouse slow and you can get the mass to move faster. Have fun.

"Droids don't rip your arms off when they lose." -H. Solo

REALITY II
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2005 01:10
That's nice - it reminds me of something, bit I'm not sure what...... it's kind of animal like ......

Quote: "and what future challenge is that?"

3d primitives.

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2005 11:11
Here's my spring physics entry - it's a cloth simulation. (I did try doing fluid physics, but the vertex manipulation function I was using was just way too slow - so I concede to Phaelax that you really need a plugin for that.)

One interesting thing that cropped up with this code was the tendency for the amplitude of the springs to veer off suddenly to extreme values, or to fade to zero. Getting the damping exactly right seems to need accuracy to about 4 decimal places - and is very sensitive to slight changes in frame rate. Even with a rock solid timer routine, the values are still likely to explode or extinguish after a while. The solution was a self regulatory damping routine. If you watch for long enough, you'll notice that as the oscillations begin to get out of control, or become too small, the damping adjusts itself to a more appropriate value. Simple but effective!

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2005 12:10 Edited at: 6th Mar 2005 02:31
Okay, here's a snippet that slightly resembles a school of fish using something that slightly resembles the spring function (it is the spring function, but I manipulate the data going in). The springiness gives two effects: 1) the mass will speed up in a straight run, and slow down on the curves. 2) the wiggly fish effect (if you look closely). Also, thanks to Azreal's motion blur effect.

Note: You can change the Fish variable to the desired number of fish.

Edit: We have fish! Also improved water look (not perfect, but better). Fish facing adjusted.

REALITY II
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2005 12:17
Ric! You have done it again. Gotta it to you; that is one smooth cloth sim!

REALITY II
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2005 17:27 Edited at: 5th Mar 2005 17:38
Didn't notice a motion blur, its a neat demo though. Need to adjust the camera so the effect stays visible on the screen better.

If you haven't seen this in the past, here's a cloth simulation. 'A' and 'Z' change wind speed, spacebar releases flag from pole. Uses springs. The code really came from "physics for game developers". I simply converted it into DB code with slight modifications.
http://www.angelfire.com/80s/phaelax/cloth_simulation.htm

This isn't a submission for the challenge, because technically this isn't entirely my work and it also uses a plugin for the vertex manipulation. But here's the code anyway incase you're all curious. I got movers coming in less than 5 hours, so my desk and computer are coming apart in a few minutes. So this will be my final post for several months until I get cable hooked up(afford to) at my new place.

Ric and R2D2 can fight over who won.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2005 23:19 Edited at: 5th Mar 2005 23:22
So long Phaelax .

Technically, then, I'm reserve judge, and hence, barring any last entries in the next few hours, I judge Rii the winner so far. Add some AI into that demo, and you've got yourself the beginnings of a virtual aquarium!

I'm also thinking, as this last one didn't get a huge amount of interest, that perhaps we'd get more entries into the challenges if some of them were a little easier - perhaps we should set some suitable for newcomers?

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 00:20
I'll split it with you Ric: How about I'll set the challenge and you judge? Also, I think this next challenge you have proven yourself time and again anyway, so your entry (entries) would probably take the prize.

Challenge: General Graphics & Lighting

This would be a great way for newcomers (and me) to learn more about these techniques. Ric has posted quite a few examples already in this very thread (check out his Pong game, pool game, and Defender style game). Some ideas would be space scenes, street lights, textured surfaces, outdoor scenes, and motion effects, whatever.

Since the "judging" is casual anyway, it doesn't need to be too specific (right)? Also, too cater to people who don't have so much coding time, or aren't speedy coders, I'll suggest 1 week.

For any newcomers reading this thread (and any lurkers), I - for one - will be happy to post some examples, demos, advice. I suspect Ric will too. Also, I'd say, feel free to apply any techniques from anywhere on the forums, from anyone; just give them credit. It's a great way to learn techniques. I have learned so much more about coding in DB with this thread than I have in the last year.

Later Phaelax.

REALITY II
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 00:24
@Phaelax, very good code, as always. Come back soon!

@Ric, you're kind of right, although the tougher the challenge, the better the results. Maybe most of us just don't have time...
Also I think newcomers will learn more from this in the future, than would learn from "easy" code that can be found elsewhere.

Greeeaaat code. Congratulations to all.
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 00:48
Good point Morcilla - I think making it too easy will make it less useful - I guess it's about getting a balance between 'challenging' and 'accessable'.

Rii - good ideas. Here goes with challenge 7 then (a little premature, but I think we're done with springs now aren't we?)

>>>>>>

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 00:49 Edited at: 6th Mar 2005 01:09
Challenge 7

Challenge: Lighting and graphical effects

Challenge setter: RiiDii

Time limit: 1 week (until Saturday night, 12/3/05)

Judge: Ric

Ideas:

- experiment with lights, fog, and commands like specular, emissive, diffuse, ambient, sphere mapping etc, to give objects different visual qualities (soft, dull, metallic, plastic, glass-like, organic etc.)

- Try creating real time effects like reflections, shadows, sunburst, lens flare, smoke, fire ...........

- Try just creating anything that looks cool!

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 02:40 Edited at: 6th Mar 2005 02:41
Quote: "a little premature, but I think we're done with springs now aren't we?"

1) Wasn't sure.
2) Thought - what the heck?! Get an easy one rolling to keep peeps interested. Can still post springs.
3) 'Winning' means you don't get to play in the next one, so I figured since we wanted to tone down the challenge level a bit, I would sit this one out anyway (still support and help).
4) By no means am declairing myself the 'winner' here. Your cloth sim kick's butt and my fish sim barely (if at all) qualifies as a spring sim.

Edit: Wow! That sure is a lotta TIME Ric!

REALITY II
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 03:04 Edited at: 6th Mar 2005 03:09
Quote: "That sure is a lotta TIME Ric! "

?? One week, as you suggested .....

<edit> unless you're in the U.S., where 12/3/05 means the 3rd of December, unlike the proper format ( ) used in the UK where 12/3/05 means 12th of March ..... is that what you meant?

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 05:06
DOH! It did just occur to me that we do everything backwards! So I signed on in hopes of deleting my edit before you saw. Drat!

REALITY II
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2005 05:14
lol!

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
alright i have been flooded with stuff to do i am going hopefully be in this challenge (i'll try my best)

I must say I am quite a »»ç¶´¬¬Géñíú§¬¬´¶««
KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
ok here is part of my entry but:
1) I know it's not perfect but please comment me cause i know im not very good and it is my first entry

2) Please help me so i have a chance of winning a challenge for once lol *sigh*

well here it is:

Yes i know it needs alot of help but my mind was overloaded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2005 09:36 Edited at: 7th Mar 2005 09:40
Hey, that's not a bad start.

A few things to start off with:

1. No need for a second sync command in the shadow function - that's just going to vut the frame rate in half.

2. 'make object sphere obj,size,latitude,longitude' - increase the latitude and longitude values to around 20 for much rounder spheres.

3. Lift the light up from the level of the matrix, and you'll see the lighting affect the matrix too.

revised code with these three alterations:

The next step would be to rethink the method of positioning the shadow, to enable it to move realistically if the light was positioned anywhere. I think the best method would be to attach the shadow to each object as a limb, and then yrotate the limb according to the direction of the light. You could also scale and offset the limb according to the height of the light.

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
ooooooh DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! completely forgot about limbs DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH lol i feal so dumb

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
ooooooh DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! completely forgot about limbs DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH lol i feal so dumb
thx man

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
how do i make it to pivot on the "end" of the shadow so it doesn't just turn in a circle?

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2005 10:50 Edited at: 7th Mar 2005 12:16
Theoretically, if you use offset limb before rotating the object, that should do it.

<edit> kind of like this ..... I modified your code a bit to demonstrate. It's not perfect, but it kind of works.

<edit 2> got it to work for some other objects too ......

<edit 3> got carried away and added reflections ......

Sorry Kimo, I'll stop now. Stealing your idea.

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
lol thats ok i have a bunch more stuff to do

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 09:13 Edited at: 8th Mar 2005 09:14
well i guess my post for the challenge is gonna have to be
copying ric's but (you stold all of my ideas you ******* lol just kidding although i was working on the reflection and the sun when you posted that lol not much more i can do and im pretty busy)

but anyways remember your long b4 posted ULTIMATE PONG well i have modified it a BUNCH and i need your help on it now....
i added:
-Different colored levels
-Menu
-Highscore
-More changing of camera
-Music and Sound FX
-Increase of music speed as level gain
-Different "Stages"
and i want to add a system on being able to have your own "character" with like your own name with custom paddle color and perhaps other features but i would like some1 to help me have a way to store the color of the paddle (red green and blue) and the name and other feature data if you think of any. here is my best crack at it, it is based off of the highscore version but i dont understand it completely myself

i was thinking to store the name as a string than the colors as integers and any other settings as integers (ex. if feature=1 then... if feature=2 then.... etc. etc.)
you will need the following pictures in the directory for menu system
http://www.sell4funebay.com/images/button.bmp
http://www.sell4funebay.com/images/buttonover.bmp
(if your wondering why it is "www.sell4funebay.com" it is sell-4-fun-ebay to break it down and it is my moms ebay business website im just using it to host my pictures for stuff like this)
also i "remmed out"(if that is a coding term lol) the sound fx and music

my shot at the "character" thing is the function at button of code(line 991)

hope you can help

Thx for all the help Ric,
Kimo Sabi

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 10:56
I had to change a few lines to get it to run - a few if-then structures were incomplete, and you hadn't declared the dimensions of the global arrays user_name$ and user_paddle ... this runs now

I like the colour changes, and the high score feature. As for allowing the player to chose the paddle colour, why not just have several paddles of different colours at the start to chose from - and store the selection as a varianle ..... something like this:

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 11:13 Edited at: 8th Mar 2005 11:18
well i want to make this a "bigger" game with lots of features so you can custimize your profile (and im gonna have a system to choose your paddle to a certain rgb so it will be many options) and there will be different "game versions" also i can than store data like amount of games played total points scored for those interested people out there

<edit> also i am getting an error of "write string does not match 'file numb,string' (why do i get all of these dumb errors i know i dont have that one endif closed off but on mine i HAVE to have it like that for it to work and also sometimes when i'm typing i can see my cursor move but nothing shows up and than i press enter or scroll up and than down again and the words i typed are there *sigh*

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
could some1 explain to me exactly how to update dbpro i tryed b4 but i have no common sense and i can't follow directions so i gave up lol

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2005 12:39
Quote: ""write string does not match 'file numb,string' "

That's because you haven't declared the array as I mentioned. Put

at the beginning of your code. It does sound like you need to reinstall DBP with the latest upgrade - something's definitely wrong with the if-endif structure.

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
ya but how do i get it to upgrade and if i uninstall will it save all of my projects?

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2005 01:57
The upgrade, if I remember correctly, is installed by downloading it and clicking on it.

And, although it shouldn't alter your project folder, it's good practice to back up stuff that's important to you, just in case!

Anyway - getting off topic here! Anyone else going to enter this one?

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmm ya ok but do you know of some way to store that stuff ric?

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2005 03:07
You can back up to floppy disk, cd-r, usb drive, internet storage site ..... although just making a copy of your project folder and pasting onto your desktop should be safe enough while you do minor software upgrades. Please start another thread, though, if you have any other upgrade/backing up questions.

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
lol sry that isn't what i meant (im not that dumb lol i did just throw it on my desktop) i meant do you know of a way to store data like that and....
i got to thinking i might make this game rly big and make it so you have a username and password (online) just store the data for different users online and than post the highest scores of peoples wins highest levels most total points scored and games (that would be really fun) but i dont know if any1 would like it? what do you think?

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2005 07:31
Oh, I see. I'm not sure how you would save your highscore to a secure website, but it would be a neat thing to do. I think you'd need to look into PHP and MYSQL scripting to get that sort of thing working. Try the general talk forum to see if anyone here knows anything about it.

Chris64
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2005 07:48
For uploading scores; Your best bet is to call the XML-http dll (I forgot exactly what it's called but I'll look for it) which is on every Windows machine after 98 (might be on 98 too). You can do a simple "get" command with your score & username in the header and set up a page that will return to you the list of users. You could even encrypt the string so people can't post fake scores.

You'll need a website with database access which is easy to find these days (not free though). And you will have to learn a little asp/php & SQL. It's pretty easy though.
KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
ya if could look into that that would be great (if you know how please explain in GREAT detail cause i dont know a thing about it although i do know html code and some javascript)

Chris64
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2005 14:38 Edited at: 9th Mar 2005 14:56
I could use some help with this too. I played around briefly trying to use a DLL with DBP...It might take a while. Maybe someone else knows how to do it.

Here's the VB version of the code for your game:

Then, your ASP code at savescores.asp would be something like this:

Note: I'm using application variables here to avoid any need for SQL access, but this may not be available with all providers. Should be OK with any ASP interpreter though. Also; I never tested it so...good luck.

Edit: HTML & javascript are of no use in this case. Additionally this method carries a small amount of overhead when compared to a Winsock type of method but I prefer it as it will run fast enough for something like this and it's much more reliable through firewalls etc.
KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2005 22:07 Edited at: 9th Mar 2005 22:09
y couldn't you just use like just save it to like

or however the read file stuff goes

Chris64
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2005 23:54
Quote: "y couldn't you just use like just save it to like"

Because it wouldn't work

It'd be nice if it was that easy. Even if it would work, you wouldn't want direct file control as anyone could go in and manually manipulate your file. If you give permission for the public to edit a document...it's very dangerous. I didn't put a lot of security in my code, but your not really allowing anything dangerous. Worse case is that someone could enter fake scores...but like I said earlier there are easy fixes for that.

As far as saving Highscores go, I'd bet my method is the easiest...if someone could help out with the DBP DLL useage. Another option though might be to have a server side DBP program that people connect to, it serves up the highscores and then they disconnect. I still prefer the web server method as it doesn't need any special programs running (very stable)...but the DBP method might be easier to comprehend since it's all one language...and if you have a static IP address, you could run your "server side" program right from your desktop. Just don't forget to leave your computer on.
KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmm yes that would be great if some1 knew EXACTLY how to do it if some1 knows plz post it on this forum or e-mail me at horlocker@yahoo.com thx

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
checkout i added a features to choose your own color of paddle also i was wondering y the screen well.. you'll see if you play the game get a gameover press anykey (or go to highscore) and see what the menu does plz help me to fix it

no1 commented on my update to your pong (i worked vry hard lol)

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2005 01:35
Have you reinstalled DBP yet with the lastest upgrade? Your code doesn't run, and I'm not going through the whole thing again finding the errors!

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
hmmmm i didn't reinstall but i did update *sigh* do you recomend i reinstall it?

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
actually i can't reinstall it b/c downloaded it and there is no "reinstall" button and i didn't keep my downloaded version on a copy

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
hello!?!?

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2005 08:02 Edited at: 12th Mar 2005 08:04
well i dunno y know1 is posting but i shall break the silence...
i was updating my function for making different "accounts" basically this should make the choice to login or create a new account and limit the number of accounts to 5 and if you login it will search through the current files to find if that username and pass exists and if it doesn't it should say wrong username and password but that doesn't seem to be working if any1 can see a problem here or if im completely off track please help me out (im new to saving stuff to files and stuff) i also wanna make a thing to save amount of games played total points scored games lost and won best level etc.

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2005 08:53
Quote: "well i dunno y know1 is posting "

I'm sure if someone has the answers to your questions Kimo, they will post them. But we don't always have all the answers! Personally, I'm not much good at file related stuff. About reinstalling, if you don't have a copy of the install file anymore, just click on your profile, go to downloads, and download it again.

Could you start seperate threads, though, if you've got questions which are off topic, and use the edit button to update your most recent post rather than posting four times in a row!!

I guess this weeks challenge didn't really take off. Unless there are any late entries tomorrow, Kimo wins by default as the only entry and takes the position of new challenge setter. Make sure it's a good one Kimo!

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
yes i saw that to ric im sry i guess im just used to lotsa smart ppl answering my questions right away and ya if i do win than i'll make sure it is a good challenge but what do you think of my updated version of your pong game? (you can just add the comment to your last post cause i know it's off topic) but ya i think every1 else is either busy or left or forgot lol well also once i get a few more games and screen savers im gonna post them on a website (i'll use ixwebhosting.com cheap for alot of stuff ) so if any1 has something they want posted on there please give me the code and i'll throw you in (i'm making a freeware site but i'll make money off of advertisers *i hope* lol )

Chris64
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2005 12:02
I've been way to busy lately to join in on these anyway...but I'm not really interested in projects involving graphics. I feel like it's just an excersize in something I won't ever use...if I want graphics I'd use .x objects and images made in Photoshop. The purpose of these projects is to learn new things but I feel like the challenges turn into a contest in presentation. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just isn't as interesting to me.

I'll try to join in on the next challenge...so make it a good one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 15:13:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 15:13:13