Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / - DBPro Coding Challenges -

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 16:59
@KimoSabi:
Quote: "alright i'll change the time limit to Saturday night cause it seems like people are rly into this (u now have more time Nicholas)"

Quote: "EXTENDING TIME LIMIT TO FRIDAY NIGHT"

Errr.. which one?

My Website:
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 17:24 Edited at: 17th Mar 2005 17:25
@Jimmy. The new levels are great. They show off the challenge potential! I get some errors when trying to undo selections. It crashes, then I have to start all over.

"Droids don't rip your arms off when they lose." -H. Solo

REALITY II
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2005 21:13
Wow, surprisingly I completed all levels first time with this version, dispite the total haaardness. I want more levels Jimmy

"Lets migrate like bricks" - Me
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2005 00:56
More levels!! Also, Jimmy did supply the setup so anyone can make levels.

@Jimmy: Maybe make some easy levels, then get progressively more difficult?

Here's a fairly easy level, but it doesn't work because the wall (yellow) doesn't stop DiNGo.

REALITY II
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2005 01:06
Well if I make levels then it would be stupid me playing them because I would know how to beat them. A level generator would be awesome, maybe I should try making one

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2005 02:40
Quote: "@Jimmy: Maybe make some easy levels, then get progressively more difficult?"

Yeah, that's what I plan to do... once the engine works!

I'll get on those errors, hopefully I can have the engine 100% tonight so I can do levels tomorrow.

We'll see, eh?

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2005 03:08
Need the deadline confirming Kimo - Friday or Saturday?

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
saturday

I must say I am quite a »»ç¶´¬¬Géñíú§¬¬´¶««
Coding Fodder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2005 13:04
Jimmy no you aren't breaking any rules. I just was hoping you were aware of the duties of the winner What I am trying to say is that your prog is pretty sweet.

Well I should probably post my WIP to get some feed back. It is highly unpolished but I am proud of it for two days labor. Not exactly the kind of statagy Game I think kimo had in mind but statagy none the less.

Welcome to the not-yet-playable-but-working-sort-of early release of AGE OF PRIMITIVES

Something really catchy that makes people stop and think about the meaning of life and say to themselves "My but thats clever"
Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2005 13:14
Dang, that's pretty cool, guys die.

*Kicks it up a notch*

Coding Fodder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2005 13:25
Well so far they just dissapear and their data is wiped out of memory Muhahaha... I hope you played around with the selection of your guys. using shift to select multiple units and control to assign them to numberkeys.. Still need to implement box select.. among many other things

Something really catchy that makes people stop and think about the meaning of life and say to themselves "My but thats clever"
KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
lol ya that is pretty cool CF but definately could use some more work lol keep up the good work guys i would enter a better entry but since i won the last one and i have been SOOOO busy im putting up a freeware site with screensavers and games and stuff

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2005 16:13 Edited at: 20th Mar 2005 01:08
Ahhh, it's a new version, with new features.. like map names, flipping through pages of moves and clearing the queue. (See TAB instructions)

Oh, also featuring the premieres of... The MAMMOTH and The MAMMOTH II

Two of the hardest levels I had the time to conjure up.

Enjoy.

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2005 21:21 Edited at: 19th Mar 2005 22:13
EDIT: Removed - posted in wrong thread.. Lol..

My Website:
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2005 21:54
If anyone beats Jimmy's levels I'll be surprised.

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
lol ya that is TOUGH but remember people challenge ends tonight

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 03:02
Okay - this entry won't be in time (unless i can invent time travel some time in the future). But I thought I'd share cause, well I think it's neat. I was definately (and not ashamed to admit it) inspired by Jimmy's DiNGo DaNGo. This is based on a game we used to play on the old Commodore 128. I forgot the name of the game, but the idea was you programmed your tank, and then pitched it in an arena against pre-programmed AI's or against other player's AI's. Well, this is a no media attempt at a remake. Then only buttons that don't work are Test and Play (okay, the two most important ones). Everything else should be fine. You have 51 lines of code to work with.

REALITY II
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 03:03
@Jimmy. Great work on the fixes!

REALITY II
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 03:21
I'm not going to have time either.. I would have liked to - but I've had SO much to do recently. Soz guys.

Maybe extend to tomorrow night if neither me or Riidii can do it? Hehe..

My Website:
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 03:27
@RiiDii: That looks cool, but I can't play it because I can't read most of the text

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 03:46
Some really good stuff in this challenge. I was going to write my second entry today but I didn't get time. Actually, if I'm honest, I was too hungover.

I don't think we should keep extending the judging deadline, though, or else it could go on forever! I think it's great to see further work done on the entries after its been won, but let's get the next challenge rolling ........

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
well i think we could get some rly good posts out of riidii and ric and nicholas so if everyone else agrees we can extend to monday night as FINAL time

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
wow i just tested that riidii that is AWESOME you should definitely continue that.....

TIME OFFICIALLY CHANGED TO MONDAY NIGHT IT IS FINAL TIME SO PLEASE HURRY!!!!

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 05:54
One the one hand Kimo, I would really like the extension, but on the other hand... now I have no need to invent that time machine!

I agree with Ric. I will finish it anyway. And even if it turns out really cool, I'm bowing out to Jimmy as the winner of this contest. Jimmy really did it!!!

I'd say end it tonight, and if you agree, Jimmy's the winner.

@Benjamin, try setting the resolution to a lower setting.

REALITY II
Jetmech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 07:48
Dont ya think all the deadline changes are getting outta hand, I kept waiting for this to end for almost a week now so i could join in the next one... I think there should be some kinda rule in order here

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 09:08
i am also waiting for the next challenge, whether ot not i have
time to participate...
end it, and do make a rule about extensions
(like <=1 calender week, <=1 extension)
bob

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 09:29 Edited at: 20th Mar 2005 09:31
Ok, I have a "working" game.. Its uber simple, but its quite fun I think!!

Basically, you fart moving mines. These mines have 3 seconds before they go live. The mines initial speed is the same as you when you fart it, which means you have to change speed and heading before it goes live or it will kill you.

Movement is controlled by the tilting of the floor.

Anywho = what do people think?

I'll call this my entry for now - I might release updates but if peeps wanna end this compo - this is what I'm entering.

PS: The strategy is to not die.. Hehe.. I think this is ok with the "rules" of this compo, not 100% sure though so soz if it isn't.

EDIT: Comments appreciated..

My Website:
RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 09:45
That's pretty darn fun Nicholas! 20 farts (errr... I mean mines) on my first try. It was begginers luck because now that I get the concept - I suck at it!

REALITY II
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 09:59
Hehe cheers. I was like that - the first time I did it I got about 20.. Now I struggle for 10.. Lol..

Its strange as that game origionally was gonna be a labyrinth.. But I started coding (pretty aimlessly) with no idea what I was doing. I was just coding and listening to music. Then I just realised I'd made that game.. Lol.. I like it though. It needs some finishing - I think the maths for making the balls follow the floor is not QUITE right, but its getting there.

I might make that game so when you die, you can submit your score to my website.

My Website:
Coding Fodder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 10:19
Yup I think dealines should remain as posted.

Jimmy I may make a level editor for your game. One thing though. I was well on my way to solving the BIG one when I realized the commands where in order already. I felt jipped and well.. hurt. You hurt me Jimmy. Ok but seriously I think the commands should be grouped by type so it evens things out a bit. and so I don't have to hunt for the command I want.

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
alright i agree it ends right now and the winner is:

Runner-up:

Well i have one more "entry" just for fun that i have been working on and i was wondering if i could get some help on it like on how to store a random speed make it more graphically pleasing and make a realistic accelerating type deal (i need alot of help lol) but if no-one can thats cool

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 11:02 Edited at: 20th Mar 2005 11:04
That's good thinkin coding... yeah, I realized that and updated my post with it mixed... but it was too late :/

Aww oh I won!! THANkS KIMO! YOU WON'T NEVER GONNA REGERET IT

I'll think up a theme tonight, post in couple hours

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 11:09 Edited at: 20th Mar 2005 11:10
@Nick: that's fun! I got 20, but only after having a fiddle with the controls - changing the mousex to movemousex commands, and increasing gravity a bit, seemed to make it more natural ompc. (incase you wondered -

@ Everyone: I've altered rule 6 on the first page to tighten up on time limits, but still allow for a small amount of flexibility. I hope people think it's a fair compromise.

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 11:12
Quote: "I realized the commands where in order"

WHAT!!!???
[Slam Head Against Wall]
[/Slam Head Against Wall]
[Slam Head Against Wall]
Ouch~~~!

REALITY II
Jetmech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 12:10
By the way Ric,

I must say, that this was a very novel idea for a thread... Kudos to ya!

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 12:27
Quote: "Quote: "I realized the commands where in order"
WHAT!!!???
[Slam Head Against Wall]
[Slam Head Against Wall]
Ouch~~~!"

I know I know, i'm sorry, but if you recopy the code from that thread, it has the real version...

Anyway, next post will be theme.

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 12:40
Quote: " I must say, that this was a very novel idea for a thread... Kudos to ya!
"

Much as I like to receive compliments, I can't take the credit for this unfortunately! There were several people and many discussions that led to the birth of this thread. I have to say, though, I'm really pleased with the way it's taking off.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 13:00
Challenge 9

Challenge: FPS Target Practice

Info & Rules: Make an FPS target practice game engine. Like say in most FPS training missions, or like duck hunt. Something pops up or flies up and you shoot it.

Will be judge primarily on 2 things:
1. The quality of your bullet code
2. The variety of weapons you have

I'm not sure if something like this has been used yet, if it has I can change it.

Challenge setter and Judge: Jimmy

Time limit: 5 Days (Thursday night: March 24th, 2005)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (<< line)

BEGIN YOU VARMINS

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 13:12 Edited at: 20th Mar 2005 13:20
@Coding Fodder: That would probably be a really cool game, but when i right click to move someone somewhere, they just move to the northeast and dont stop, lol, am i doing something wrong?

EDIT: sry this is a little late, this is going with the last contest, with coding fodders strategy game

EDIT2:Jimmy, thats probably the best game made with DBP ive ever played! good work!

EDIT3:RiiDii, great work as well! except for that i cant make them do anything hehe, but if it worked it would be awesome!

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 13:13
Excellent challenge Jimmy. I've a feeling this one's going to get a lot of interest. I'm in.

Coding Fodder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 13:18
Yah Ric got to create the thread because he won the particles challenge.

[href]
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=47392&b=1
[/href]

[href]
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=47805&b=1
[/href]

For those interested in seeing some of the things that led to this thread. I could not find all of them. The perfect number thread and the pendulums see to have disapeared into space..

Some good code in those threads though.

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 16:45 Edited at: 26th Mar 2005 02:27
Okay, I've got the Program Tank game almost done. I've written all the script functions (a ton of 'em) and the Test() function, but I'm having trouble debugging (who doesn't without a debugger?). Anywho, I need some sage advice my friends...

I am using user type functions to save/load the code, but it seems like Save Array won't work with a User Type Array (maybe it doesn't work well at all?). Any suggestions?

I want to see what the array data all looks like, that way I can validate my bugs are in the Code Wrangler function, and not in the Code creation funtions. Right now, the Code Wrangler function looks good, so I'm suspecting it's a case of garbage-in, garbage-out.

Thanks.

REALITY II
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 20:13
Quote: "Save Array won't work with a User Type Array (maybe it doesn't work well at all?). Any suggestions?"

Can you not write each piece of data within the array seperately to a file using a for-next loop?

KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
yah great idea Jimmy i'll have to work hard for this one

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2005 22:19
Quote: "Can you not write each piece of data within the array seperately to a file using a for-next loop?"

You know I can . Was hoping for alternatives to that. Okay - here it goes... one more function

I think would be neat if I could write a save function for any array, but me thinks I have to write it for specific arrays and myself agrees. Up... Up... and Array!

REALITY II
KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "up up and array"

ha....ha...ha.... lol

well i conjured up a beginning of a target practice "game" but i not sure on how to get the bullet to move in the direction of the gun a little help plz

Coding Fodder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2005 00:21
Thats an interesting problem Riidii. Thinking about it....

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2005 00:26
@KimoSabi: couldnt u just say point object bullet in direction of person?

Video games…they can take you places unreachable, impossible, unfeasible. They put you in the book...they put you in the movie...they put you in a world, a world that before could only be imagined.
KimoSabi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2005 00:27 Edited at: 21st Mar 2005 00:29
but than how do you move it in that dir.? plz throw the code in so i can c it

<edit>
if some1 wouldn't mind helping me with my fish game to (posted earlier) i would be greatly obliged

RiiDii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2005 02:04 Edited at: 21st Mar 2005 02:30
@Kimo: Just use Move Object. Also, if you can find it in this code, I have a bullet wrangler function. Makes bullets, moves 'em, handles collisions and damage, etc.

@Everyone: Here it is. Not fully tested yet (consider this early beta). I also have to add the Play functionality, but you can Test your code. Got the Save & Load Array to work fine. It's also VERY rough around the edges; that is to say, I didn't put in a lot of effort to making sure you can't break it. But if you play nice, it should work.

Edit:
Some basics:
-You can move the camera around using the arrow keys in Menu and Test modes. The menu will move with the camera. A real 3D menu: CooL!
-When you Save/Load your code, a default extension is not added on, so you will have to add one yourself.
-You'll have to figure out most of the coding commands yourself, for now, but I think they are fairly obvious.
-Differnt coding commands take time to execute (well, they execute immediately, but then there is a delay afterwards). Repair takes the longest, then moving, then firing. Variable functions are instant.
-If you raise shields, they stay raised until you lower them or run out of energy. You can only repair when shields are up, and you can still do variable calcs. Some variable calcs rely on equipment, and therefore won;t work while the shield is up.
-Shields make you invulnerable while they are up. Perfect for repairing.
-You don't need a goto at the end of your code to start over again. Once the program reaches the end, it automatically repeats from line 1.
-Repeat / Loop (use like For-Next) works, but will be buggy if you try to nest in a Repeat / Loop. If_Then / End_If can be nested in an If_Then / End_If or a Repeat / Loop
-Damage is applied in a given order. Armor is first. Hull is Last. Damae can penetrate outer protections to inner protections, but the damage is almost always reduced. Once a Hull reaches 0 or less hitpoints, the tank is detroyed. Destroyed componants will not function unless repaired.

Enjoy.

REALITY II

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 20:59:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 20:59:29