Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / The Artist's Challenge..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 04:04
all i can think of doing is to create another array to hold the small dots and figure out where walls are and are not (i think you thought of this)

or

create a type that holds all the points around a tile that could have a small dot, then when one is removed you just set that type value to 0 or something. would that be easyer?

Remember remember the fifth of November. The gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 12:34 Edited at: 15th Nov 2006 13:41
It looks like David has drawn the maze as an entire image and then cut it up into 32x32 tiles. It just so happens that some of the dots get chopped in half in this way - if you joined them all together in the correct order (did he post the order anywhere or is it a case of do it yourself?), then they would all become whole dots again. The dots would be spaced 16 pixels apart from each other, because there are two 'lengths' (ie the length between dots) on each tile.

However, in order to give the appearance of dots disappearing without adjacent half-dots disappearing too, you would need to cover the dots with a small black sprite over the top of each dot. Some of these 'masks' would be in the exact centre of each tile, and others would be on the join between two tiles. Not a very elegant solution - as if you know of the exact places for putting the masks, then you may as well just use two images - one for the dots and one for the power-pills, and placing sprites at those positions, hiding them when they are eaten.

The best solution would be to go back to the large image of the maze, and redivide it up so that each tile contains only one dot, at the centre of each tile. Each tile can then be hidden to remove the appropriate dot. Taking what I think is an original screenshot of pacman I found on the internet, and overlaying it with an 8x8 pixel grid, this seems to be what they must have done originally, as it works perfectly - notice that the powerpills fit perfectly into a single tile, and the small dots are at the centre of each tile:

The advantage of dividing the image by yourself in this way, is that you will know the correct order for putting the pieces back together to recreate the maze.

Good luck with the rest of the tutorial.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 13:37 Edited at: 15th Nov 2006 13:39
Here is David's image of the whole maze again attached as a zip, but I have cropped it so that it divides perfectly into 16x16 pixel tiles, with the dots at the centre of the tiles. This gives a set of tiles 37 across and 43 down, which you can cut up using something like this:

I'd recommend cutting up the image 'pregame', saving the tiles to a folder to be loaded back into the game using a similar piece of code, rather than doing the whole thing within the game - getting images for all of those tiles takes a while.

Attachments

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2006 21:21 Edited at: 15th Nov 2006 23:09
I wasn't planning on pre-saving the tiles, because I wanted to make the maze be able to change. For example, it would load the map from a file like this:

Where the # are walls and the . are empty spots, where the dots go. I was going to code an intelligent map reading system, which would know which wall sprite to use in a certain location. (It would know to put a T piece in the center square if the map looks like this:

Anyway, I finally figured something out. I'll put a dot in each . space, and have the algorithm test if the adjacent spots are walkways, if they are, another dot is placed halfway between the two.

Thanks anyway for cropping that image, Ric. I noticed the MazeSprites.png didn't include the ghost pen sprites, and if they're spaced out uniformly now it should be alot easier to get the sprites out of the big picture.

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 00:17
That sounds like a good system. As you say, it's more versatile if you're thinking of adding levels, and should be more economic with media - I didn't really like the idea of having all those tiles when so many of them are the same.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 10:23
FYI:

1) I still lurk here.

2) Way back when I was told this was not the apropriate place for my artwork. I was encouraged to move it to the "2D all the way" forum section. I did, (the 2D Graphics Buffet thread) and woot! got honorable mentions in a newsletter. I even created a 3D Graphics Buffet thread.

3) You know what? The move to it's "proper place" (in the 2D section of the forums) killed my entheusiasm. Why? after the move the feedback and interest dropped to Nil! I was happy here, I had fun here. But was not a happy camper when people said 'Graphics' does not belong here, this is a DBPro 'PROGRAMMING' thread.

4) I love the 'Coding Challenge' thread (the sticky media-less one) I originally thought I wonder what these coders would do with some media. I even issued a Challenge where I would make custom graphics for the winner.. Interest = Nil!..

5) DBPro without media is nothing more than a glorified notepad with great potential to make media-less demos.

Nuf said.

But you all have a great day now you hear, Cheers!
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 18:46
Dave

Glad to see you are still around, I take a look at the 2d board all the time and have to say I too was dissapointed that more interest was not generated. I wish I had the time to make some more graphics for the community, I loved this thread and was always happy to see what people contributed. Hopefully things pick up and you get your enthusiasm back, your a real important member of this community and without the media you gave us alot of demos/ code snippets/ and even some 20 line challenges would likely not exist.

Cheers to you and hope to see you around more.

PS I will do what I can to regenerate the interest in the graphics threads.

http://www.cafepress.com/blackarrowgames
Check out my great stuff here
TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 19:03 Edited at: 16th Nov 2006 19:07
A katana I made that's free for game use.

http://www.togamario.com/zip/Katana.zip

P.S. This is what the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2006 19:41
yay me happy. thead no longer dead

perfection is not achived, it is earned.
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
@TogaMario - Very nice katana!

AMD Sempron 3.1+ Ghz, 512MB Ram, ATI R9550 256MB Ram, Sound Blaster Live!, WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c, DBP 6.2
http://www.myspace.com/producerolby
TogaMario
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Olby! It's not the best, but it's free And game ready, lol. Can't complain with that

P.S. This is what the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.
Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2006 02:09
Anyone need some 3d renders of Terrain, ect? I can do it. Example of work attached

http://phoenixophelia.com

Steve J, less, and less Controversial!

Attachments

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2006 22:39 Edited at: 20th Nov 2006 02:23
I would love some! (for a cube thing. That follows the player you know. I can't think of the name of it right now).
Edit: Skybox! That's it!

Take heed, never take advantage of the things you need, never let your self be overcome by greed. Walk a strigh line, pick up your speed and try. Everyone deserves a piece of the pie By: Shaggy
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2006 20:01 Edited at: 19th Nov 2006 20:02
David Gervais, I found a mistake in the Pac-Man maze sprites. In the top right courner there's a piece that looks like this:

and in the third column on the last row there's the same piece rotated 180.

But, there's no piece rotated 90 or 270.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 10:25
Hi,

There could very well be some mistakes, I made it kind of quick and just chopped up the big pic into smaller chunks. You are free to edit and play with these graphics as you see fit and of course have fun.

Cheers!
Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 13:28 Edited at: 20th Nov 2006 13:29
Ok, I've edited it to include those other pieces as well as the ghost pen gate. If anyone else's writing Pac-Man, here it is.

Attachments

Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2006 15:25 Edited at: 20th Nov 2006 15:28
Quote: "4) I love the 'Coding Challenge' thread (the sticky media-less one) I originally thought I wonder what these coders would do with some media. I even issued a Challenge where I would make custom graphics for the winner.. Interest = Nil!.."

That's a shame. I don't remember that offer, but I'm willing to bet that there would still be a lot of interest in that idea. Just because your idea didn't work the first time round, doesn't mean it wouldn't work at all. (The current challenge thread was not the first attempt at such a thread - the first few attempts went down in flames!) Assuming you were still willing to give up your time, the offer of free custom media is an exceptional prize - especially with the nvidia compo currently underway.

If you felt like incorporating this idea with the current challenge thread, I'm sure it could be arranged to hold a one off 'best use of limited media' challenge. It would be the first challenge where media was allowed, and the first challenge to offer a prize, so I really think, if done right, it will get a lot of interest. Let me know what you think.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 16:28 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2006 16:42
Hi Ric,

I might re-issue a challenge with free custom graphics as the prize, but I'm not convinced it would go over well in the medialess challenge thread, I was accused of spam way back when, when I cross posted the info about my challenge,.. let me go see if I can find the challenge post.. brb...

here is a copy of the original post..

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Super Duper Minimalist art media Challenge

See that silver ball? Ever hear of plinko? Or the random-odds ball drop test? (pyramid of pins that the ball drops off with a 50-50 chance of dropping left or right when it hits a pin.) Or think you can turn it into a skittle ball? Pinball? Chrome bowling ball? Cannon ball?...

Challenge: Surprise me with what you can do with just this tiny sprite.

Deadline: 10 Days (ends Jan 27th at midnight)

Prize 1 custom bitmap (you tell me what you want)

Begin... and have fun!

Cheers!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I figured a tiny 25x25 sprite might be acceptable as a 'minimal media' item, aparently it was 25x25 pixels too much.

Anyways, I still think this simple sprite has loads of potential as source of inspiration, but I have no idea how to re-issue the challenge without steping on peoples toes. If you have any ideas, feel free to 'try' and get interest in this. I'll still be willing to offer the prize of a custom bitmap.

Nuf said, Cheers!
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 16:44
I saw the Coin artwork posted, and thought I might make a gold coin. Here it is, .x file and texture map in the attached zip file.

Cheers!

Attachments

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 17:37 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2006 17:37
Nice money.

I actually did use that silver ball; in my entry for the NVIDI compo. They were powerups.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 19:59 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2006 20:00
@David Gervais - Are there any license restrictions for your media, except that you should be written in game credits and this thread too? Are any type of commercial usage of these files allowed? I just want to know before I use something from here. I want to use your breakout pieces for projects week at my school I found them rather very cool.

AMD Sempron 3.1+ Ghz, 512MB Ram, ATI R9550 256MB Ram, Sound Blaster Live!, WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c, DBP 6.2
David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 22:02
Olby, all the stuff I did here is free, for commercial or non commercial uses. Credit must be given in game as well as in readme. if you do make a commercial game and it sells millions, I expect you to be as generous as I am fair.

Cheers!
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2006 23:29
Dave if I make millions perhaps I could hire you full time to make more millions

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks David, when I will finish my breakout game I will post a link here too to inform you.

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2006 23:38 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2006 23:40
Ok, I had some fun learning a bit about doing texture maps for slightly more complicated 3D objects... (FYI this ship model has a 132 poly count, not bad if I do say so myself.)

The .x file and texture map are in the attached zip.

Cheers!

Attachments

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 01:13
Wow Dave that ship looks real nice, 132 poly's is awesome perhaps I can put this to work in the future.

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2006 03:27
That's Awesome!

Take heed, never take advantage of the things you need, never let your self be overcome by greed. Walk a strigh line, pick up your speed and try. Everyone deserves a piece of the pie By: Shaggy
Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 06:45 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2006 06:46
Here is a Egyptian style building with texture. Pic here model next post

Attachments

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 06:46
and the model. Still working on modeling hope someone finds this useful. let me know what you think i need to improve on. It will really help especially if you can point out a tutorial.

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 11:27
Nice model Hobgoblin, clean, simple and decent texturing. You got me thinking now about perhaps making buildings.

Cheers!
Chris Franklin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 11:53
Nice model hobgoblin you should try sci fi stuff some time

leo the lion 0
Years of Service
User Offline
ok I know this thread is sort of semi-maybe-sort of dead and david gervais has sort of-maybe lost interest but are you still accepting ui requests, because I need one for a game I'm making.

Basically what I want:
ok, it is for a 2d rpg game, the screen size in 1024 by 768, I want the gapp in the middle to be able to fit the 32*32 sprites in without any overlap.

The specifics:
The buttons will fit on to a sidebar on the right side of the screen, this must be big enough to hold all the buttons and have a panel underneath for information to be shown

The buttons I need are:

an inventory button: (a backpack or whatever else you can think of.)

an equipped buton: I will have a panel displaying what the character is equipping, this will be for that

Some portal or teleportation looking button: this will be used as a sort of teleportation machanism, as the player progresses through the game, more places will be added to the panel accessible by this, once unlocked, these places can be teleported to at any time.

A spells button: this will gove the player access to the ingame spellbook

A door button: pressing this will allow you to quit and save the game or just quit or just save.

All of these buttons will have two states, not pressed in and pressed in.

The buttons will be circular and fit into the rest of the sidebar.

Other things I need:

The sidebar itself, including the panel.
A bar suitable for use as a health bar.
And thats it, if you find my request too large, just tell me and I will try and make some of the graphics myself.
Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2006 20:43
Hey David, your Ship model is excellent! Could you perhaps make more?

Attached is a screenshot of it in use. I was wondering if you could make a "frigate" type ship, or a cruiser type? I need a heavy type ship so I can have more than just fighters flying around, lol. If you can it would be a great help.

Attachments

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 06:31 Edited at: 4th Dec 2006 06:39
Quote: "Nice model Hobgoblin, clean, simple and decent texturing. You got me thinking now about perhaps making buildings."

Thanks Dave, glad I could inspire. I really want to see this thread back to its former glory. Besides I love sharing stuff, just hope someone actually has a use for it.

Quote: "Nice model hobgoblin you should try sci fi stuff some time "

Perhaps I will, I still have a ton of the 40k buildings I made packed away.

Here is a simple set of stairs, hope someone can use em.

Pic attached to this post and model is on the next. as a note I scale my models at 1 unit=6".

Attachments

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 06:32
here is the model and texture.

Attachments

Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 08:02
Here's a whole slew of media, mainly textures but some models as well

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 11:23
Here is a Cargo ship I did, it might fit the bill..

Attached is the zip with both models inside, loaded and empty.

Cheers!

P.S. Steve J, just a suggestion, but perhaps you could pull back the view on the fighter. have the can trail a bit further back. The low rez textures were never meant to be viewed that close.

Attachments

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 11:27
Leo the Lion, perhaps if you make a plain untextured version of the UI and different elements I could find the time to 'skin' it for you. (add texture etc) But I do not have the time to spend working on layout and getting into UI design.

Yours my friend is a 'tip of the iceberg' type of request, my time is limited, so try to meet me half way, thanks.

Cheers!
Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2006 16:45
Thanks David! Yes, I did what you suggested; It is much better, thanks!

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 02:07
Hey David, I have a question, is there any way you can make the texture bigger on the ship and Fighter? It looks really, really pixelated when I view it?

Attached is a gas planet texture

Attachments

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 02:13
Attached is a skybox texture

Attachments

IBOL
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 03:49
glad to see this thread revived and high on the list.
to [heck] with those who say it should be moved.
graphics in general are one of the most-requested things
in all DB-dom ... that and the MAKE GAME() command.
welcome back.
bob

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 04:14
Yah, I still think mods are crazy for not sticking this!

David Gervais
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 11:59
Steve J, here is a new fighter model with a 512x512 rez texture.

Cheers!

Attachments

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 16:23
Wow, thanks! Diggin the texture

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 16:53
Screenshot of the game with the new model, and the enemy ship (It goes around, and sometimes chases you)

=D

Attachments

Code Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2006 23:16
Has anyone noticed that the responses in sticked threads seem to stop? I'm assuming most people look at the stickes every few weeks or so and ignore them because they're the same threads as before.

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2006 02:17
I think if we had a bit more media, then we should start making a site that organizes all the media posted for everyone, cause it is hard to sift through, lol.

Steve J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 01:44
Anyone need a skysphere/skycube?

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2006 06:08
(raises hand) ... Please

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 04:15:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 04:15:45