Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / CodeSurge -- DarkBASIC Professional IDE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Thanks for your patience, comments, and bug reports. You should be seeing an update sometime over the weekend."

AMD Sempron 3.1+ Ghz, 512MB Ram, ATI R9550 256MB Ram, Sound Blaster Live!, WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c, DBP 6.2
http://www.myspace.com/producerolby
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2006 16:56 Edited at: 21st Oct 2006 17:11
Never mind got it

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 06:23 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2006 06:24
I'm having a new problem with CodeSurge. More and more frequently when I paste into CodeSurge a portion of the pasted code is invisible until I highlight it.

Maybe it has something to do with the rising size of my code? I'm using seven .dba files in my project and the whole program is about 1600 lines of code.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

http://3dfolio.com
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 06:40
@Mistrel,
I've never seen that or heard anyone else mention it. There was a problem a while ago where it wouldn't paste from the help files, but that's fixed now. 1600 lines of code is nothing. I've done tests with around 100k lines of code and it held out quite well. It might be something with all your .dba files, but I don't know.

I just tried pasting over 100000 lines of code while writing this message, and it took about 6-7 seconds to paste, and then everything was fast after that. I definitely would like to know if anyone else has this same problem and what causes it so it can be fixed.

I'm going to try to have an update done within the next 4 or 5 hours, so stay tuned. Unfortunately, it doesn't have all the features I was hoping for due to other projects consuming all my time, but it will have some of them! More updates should follow as well.

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 11:12
Well, as promised here is an update! I didn't get as much done as I would've liked to, but it's been over 2 months since I've given you an update, that I felt like something had to be done about it. Anyway, it's 2 a.m. here, but off the top of my head here's what's been added/fixed, etc.

Fixed error when hitting space on a blank line when the trim trailing spaces option was used.
Fixed a few path problems that Ulric mentioned (At least I hope I did). However, I haven't fully tested it with media, etc. to make sure it works properly.
Fixed a few problems with tab orders on the search/replace dialogs. Also, fixed a problem with the backspace key not working in the goto line dialog.
Added an option that allows you to manually set the DBP path if the IDE can't find it in your registry.
Added a new icon and logo! Thanks Zerk and Cash Curtis II.
I think I fixed the problem that The Nerd mentioned about it not compiling the current source even if it was unsaved. I tried and tried and couldn't get it to misbehave, but let me know if I really didn't get it fixed.
I seem to remember doing something to the highlighting code sometime ago, but I can't remember right off what it was, or if I really did anything.

Well, let me know if this is any better than the last version you've been using. Hopefully you won't have to wait as long for the next update. In the next update I plan to fix a few things like tooltip parameters in comments, functions showing up in the code explorer that are inside remstart/remend blocks, and a few other odd quirks like that.

Have fun coding.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 13:43 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2006 15:07
Awesome! And it's cool to see my icon in use. By the way, God has killed no kittens on account of me

[Edit]
Hey, quick new bug observation. If you select a block of text, then right click, the selection disappears. This renders the "Copy" function on the menu useless. This feature worked in the last version.

Otherwise, great update. One thing I notice is that the Code Explorer now updates immediately when you click on a different include file. Awesome

Come see the WIP!
The CodeSmith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2006 17:05 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2006 17:09
With this new version I get this error:
INTERNAL ERROR - NOT ALL COMPILER FILES EXIST
I'm using DBP Online, maybe that has something to do with it?

EDIT: I got it, apparently my DarkBasic Temp folder was gone... weird

I'm not who you think...
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 04:14
With this new version you've won another person... me.

One of the things that kept me using BlueIDE is the Code Library. Is CodeSurge going to have the ability to save a list of our own frequently used code snips?

I noticed something too. I had accidently added a colon at the end of a function name and it saw it as a label and as a function.

Love the bookmark ability by the way.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 05:18 Edited at: 24th Oct 2006 05:33
Quote: "Hey, quick new bug observation. If you select a block of text, then right click, the selection disappears. This renders the "Copy" function on the menu useless. This feature worked in the last version."

Ah, crud. And I know exactly why, too. I was trying to make it so you could move the cursor with the right mouse button, so that you could right click somewhere to set a bookmark without having to move to the line first. I never even thought of selected text. I'll get it fixed ASAP.

Quote: "Is CodeSurge going to have the ability to save a list of our own frequently used code snips?
"

Possibly. Can't say for sure when though.
Quote: "I had accidently added a colon at the end of a function name and it saw it as a label and as a function.
"

Yes, the code explorer's parsing routines aren't anything I'm really that proud of. It's going to get an overhaul sometime.

Edit:
Here is an update that fixes the problem with right click deselecting your text. Fortunately, this was a very, very simple fix.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Ulric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 08:13
Thanks Hyrichter,

This new verion seems really nice. Path problems have been corrected.

Cheers,

Ulric

"A cow is not entirely full of milk; Some of it are hamburgers!"
ASUS P4G8X-Intel P4 HT 3.06GHz-1Gb DDR266 Dual
nVidia GeForce 6800GT 256Mb (FW. 91.33) - WinXP Pro SP2 - DX9c
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 13:53
Great, now CT doesn't need access to the system

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 14:55 Edited at: 24th Oct 2006 15:10
I have a problem with the new CS. Nothing happens when I change my code. It compliles and checks for errors etc but it's not running the new exe file.

BTW, if it's possible it would be nice if CS could check if the exe is running and if so then CS should shut it down before compiling.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 16:08
Hyrichter, I've a feature request, I dont know if this has been requested before, but it would be nice to be able to have multiple projects open in the IDE at the same time, so you can easily switch between them

Wartorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2006 17:05
This IDE is great! keep up the good work
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 17:35
Hmm, this is very strange. After the latest update, I can't get Windows to open DBP projects in CodeSurge, I have to open up CodeSurge and open the projects manually. :/

Quote: "I think I fixed the problem that The Nerd mentioned about it not compiling the current source even if it was unsaved. I tried and tried and couldn't get it to misbehave, but let me know if I really didn't get it fixed."

It's not fixed, I still have to save my project before the changes in the code have any effect.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 19:04
@Freddy 007:
You may have to reassociate DBP files with the IDE since I changed the icon.

Quote: "It's not fixed, I still have to save my project before the changes in the code have any effect. "

Could you please walk me through the exact steps needed to reproduce this error? Is is something that only happens if you open a second project, or what? I couldn't ever duplicate the error.

Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2006 23:03 Edited at: 25th Oct 2006 23:07
Quote: "You may have to reassociate DBP files with the IDE since I changed the icon."

I have tried that, but it doesn't work. I think it's Windows' fault, however... But it's still a shame

Oh, I didn't see that there's a way to do this from the IDE, nice!

Quote: "Could you please walk me through the exact steps needed to reproduce this error? Is is something that only happens if you open a second project, or what? I couldn't ever duplicate the error."

Start a new project in CodeSurge. Save your project. Make a new source file, and save that too. In the first source file, input :

Quote: "#include "secondary source.dba"

test()
wait key
end"

and in the second:

Quote: "function test()
print "Hello Wurld!"
endfunction"

Now try and compile. You should get an error saying that the compiler can't recognize the command 'test()'. Now save all files, and compile again. Now it works.

At least, that what happens when I do it.

EDIT:

Oh. Oh! Now I get it!

If you just include the source file in Project->Add existing source file, it works!

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2006 03:20
Umm, yeah, you're supposed to use the IDE to include source files. Using the #include command uses the compiler to collate the sources together.

EddieB
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2006 15:05
Nice to see some good progress with this hyrichter

I was looking back in my old drive archives last night and found the first version you ever made that you sent me over msn...When it was called "Dark pad"
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2006 21:59
Quote: "Umm, yeah, you're supposed to use the IDE to include source files. Using the #include command uses the compiler to collate the sources together."

Yes, but also if you open up a project which has include files made in the official IDE and try to compile it from CodeSurge, then it fails to compile any unsaved changes in the included sources. But I guess that's almost not even a problem.

That's cool, great job hyrichter!

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2006 04:40
Just wanted to say thanks for creating such a professional IDE. Besides the IDE itself the new icon and the about codesurge are very well done.
EsteemDE
Years of Service
User Offline
Will this ever show a list of variables like the default IDE? You got types... functions... lables... but not variables . So a feature request for me, which has probably been said, is that you have your IDE detect standard global variables which, in the list, has name and type. And so your IDE also detects arrays, where in the list it has array name and number of items.
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you, hyrichter! Another great update.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 11:34 Edited at: 28th Oct 2006 11:37
I have a small bug, in one of my include files, I was attempting to select some lines and batch indent them, however when i clicked and dragged, it didn't select the parts of the lines above the x position of my initial selection, if that makes any sence,

usually when you select and drag to multiple lines, the next lines get highlighted to the last character, however my lines only get highlighted to the x position of my initial selection, however this isn't apparent on my other source files, and I haven't had this issue before, and this is using the latest version.

Here's a screenie,

Hallowed are the ori.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 15:36
Weird. There's actually an option with the source control to do selections like that, but I never put that option into the IDE as I felt it was totally pointless. I tried it on a project with includes, and the includes I tried, the mouse dragging selected them properly. Maybe you could try deleting your cssettings.ini file to see if that fixes anything?

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2006 18:55 Edited at: 28th Oct 2006 19:38
I've seen that happen once in my projects as well. I thought maybe I hit a hotkey by accident. Restarting CodeSurge fixed the problem.

Another bug, which has been posted before:
When you hit F1 to bring up help it will only return help for the first command on the line.

For example:
print array count array()
If you set your cursor on array count F1 will bring up help for print.

Also, if you hold down ctrl-z and undo more than a few places in history and then hold down ctrl-shift-z to redo them sometimes it will drop some characters and create errors.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 01:09
Quote: "I think I fixed the problem that The Nerd mentioned about it not compiling the current source even if it was unsaved."

I have this issue. I must save, otherwise the new changes aren't picked up.

It's easy to replicate...just change something and compile without saving!

I'm on Win XP SP2.

Frekster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 15:09
Hello hyrichter,

Just a quick note to say thanks for making an alternative IDE to the default DBP one!

I am a blind developer that works full-time as an asp.net certified web developer. I program audio games for the blind on the side to get a break from the grind of business development.

I've not had the time to read all posts but if you are still looking for a person to test a large project let me know.

Also, I'd be more than willing to work with you on adding some enhanced accessibility support to the product. More less just adding keyboard keystrokes to all functions in the application and helping you standardize on Microsoft's standards for keystrokes.

Here are a few accessibility considerations to start with...

in the options for the product, in the code highlighting section, consider adding a check box "do not use code highlighting" so when it is checked code and syntax highlighting will not be used. That is helpful for blind developers since it can cause certain brand screen readers to bug out.

Note: you may already have that in place I did not "see" it though in the options.

Good job with the feature to turn off line numbers - I personally hate them *grin*.

The debugger is not working for me since I am currently trialing dbp. I plan to pick up a copy of dbp if it meets my conditions for developing commercially sold audio based games. So far though, it is looking promising.

With regards to code surge, it would be nice though, if not supported, to allow people to use keyboard keystrokes to step through code while in debug mode as in vs 2003/2005 IDE. I.E set a break point in the source, run in debug mode, break at the line and then press f10 to step one line at a time through the code. I think the dbp IDE only lets you use the mouse to click to execute the current line/step over it. Not sure if dbp IDE has an accessible window to view variable values in the such, as again I am just trialing it, but if it does not this would be a helpful addition to code surge as well.

One thing I like to do when I develop windows applications is add an "Actions" alt+a option to the menu bar. Under it I add all toolbar button commands with associated keyboard keystrokes for accessibility compliance if the keystrokes are not found under other pull down menus. I.E I would not put ctrl+o under actions since by standard it is used for open file under the file pull down menu.

Note: Microsoft accessibility standards state that for any toolbar button, there has to be a menu option for it to with a keyboard keystroke. This is since some brand screen readers cannot interact with a toolbar strip so having the keystroke to press is crucial. I cannot tell you how many applications I have performed qa on and the developer has a toolbar button for a main function of the program, for example run, and yet has *no way* to execute that command via the keyboard so the application is useless to a blind computer user.

I also do not use windows standard keystrokes for other functions in a windows application. For example:

ctrl+c - copy - I would not use for open code
ctrl+x - for cut text - I would not use for exit application
ctrl+v - paste text - I would not use for view variable value

Note: I noticed that under the edit pull down in code surge the cut/copy/paste functions did not have these keystrokes in place.

A quick way, while not fullproof, to pick up on what Microsoft standards are for keyboard access/keystrokes is to open up Microsoft Word, word pad, etc. and look at each pull down menu at the top. Note the underlined letters that they use for menu options as in file, edit, view, etc. alt+f - alt+e - alt+v etc.

code surge seems to have those in place. good job.

Also in the product documentation it is very helpful to have a "keyboard shortcuts" section that simply lists all the keyboard keystrokes for easy reference. In the DBP default IDE there isn't even a keyboard shortcut listing in the help docs!!! This has been another level of frustration for me. Lets just say that the DBP IDE does not follow windows development standards, well it does about half, and it certainly fails with regards to microsofts accessibility standards.

Note: while I may be primarily offering keyboard shortcut suggestions, it is interesting to note that many developers, while programming, prefer to use the keyboard for programming source code since it is faster. I.E ctrl+o for open a file is much quicker than:

1. take hand off of keyboard
2. grab mouse
3. wheel it to point to file
4. click file
5. point down to open...
6. click on open

another example...

it is much quicker in a multiple document interface to press ctrl+tab to cycle through open files than:

1. take hand off of keyboard
2. grab mouse
3. point to tab in mdi tab strip
4. click the file you want to switch to
5. put hand back on keyboard and begin to program

With using the keyboard for program functions your hands never leave the keyboard which leads to more productivity. I could go on listing a ton more examples but will stop, I think you get the point *grin*.

Actually at my day job all developers in my shop, around 10 of them - I am the only blind developer on staff, all prefer to use the keyboard when programming since it is much quicker than the mouse.

The only downside is that you have to memorize the keystrokes. However, this is why it is crucial to follow Microsoft keyboard shortcut standards since 80% of the knowledge will apply to any application as long as you follow the standards. I.E ctrl+o should always be for open a document/file, ctrl+n should always be for new file, ctrl+x for cut, and so on. This way as you interact with various applications the knowledge you have and expect to be in place for keystrokes is there which in turn lessons the learning curve.

Any how, hope you have found this post interesting and again, I am here to help if you need it.

Regards,
Frekster
Who really needs to see to program? Isn't it all just text anyhow?
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 17:58
Hi Frekster,
I admit I never really gave a thought to accessibility options in my IDE. So I thank you for your suggestions you've given me. I think I can do most of what you're suggesting except for the step through debugging. The truth is, I've not really used DBP that much myself. I started to use it, decided I didn't like the default IDE (or any other IDEs that were floating around at the time), so I got distracted building my own. From what I can tell, the debugger doesn't have anything to do with the IDE. It's actually bundled with the DBP compiler, and the IDE just calls that debugger when it's set to debug mode. You may not see an option in my IDE for setting breakpoints, but all you have to do in DBP to set a breakpoint is to start a line of code with a ! symbol.

Thanks again for all your comments. They all make perfect sense, and I'm also one of those guys who likes to use keyboard shortcuts for most things.

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 18:33
Nice hyrichter i really like what your doing with code surge keep up the nice work and i hope to see new updates.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 19:41 Edited at: 29th Oct 2006 20:05
Hi hyrichter,

Glad to see the update released Unfortunately I can't get the fix with include files to work.

If I open my existing project and try to make a change in one of my includes and compile, it still doesn't detect the changes until I save. And it doesn't work if I add the includes again from inside CodeSurge.

[Edit]

Apparently it seems like I can get it to work if I make a totally new project and add includes from there. It's going to take a while to make a new project and copy/past it all from my project, but atleast it works So apparently it doesn't work with existing projects. Maybe it's something you can fix I don't know. But thanks.

[/Edit]

[Edit]

Okay yet another edit here. I just tried to make a totally new project and then add all the includes by new source includes and then copy/paste, and it actually still doesn't work How odd. Seems like this bug is still there.

[/Edit]

Frekster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 20:06
Hi hyrichter,

Yeah, I do not think most people consider accessibility when developing applications since it has only been increasingly a popular topic in the past 3 years or so. Especially wiht the increase of accessible software for blind, low vision, and more disabilities... If you ever went for a microsoft certification exam they will certainly drill you on accessibility standards and require that you learn it.

Thanks for the feedback on the debugger. Yeah, it is a shame that they do not include it in the demo since that would be a huge selling point for me. I produce commercially sold audio games for the blind and if the product doesn't have an accessible debugger in it, which chances are it is not based on the current dbp IDE, then this would make it a huge challenge for creating large games.

code surge is clean and I really appreciate its ease of use. Good job on it!

A suggestion.... a feature in the code surge options might be to have a checkbox for "load last opened project at startup" which would restore the last project, and all open files, when you start code surge again. This would just make one less thing a developer would have to do. Another option would be to track the history of open projects and develop an MRU list under the file menu. Sorry if these suggestions are already in place haven't had a ton of time to investigate it.

Regardless, your IDE is far better than the dbp default one from both an end user usability perspective and design perspective. Keep up the good work and as you develop it more, please consider adding keyboard support to anything new in it etc. If you ever have a question on accessibility and if something will or will not work for a screen reader just let me know and I can help test it out for you.

Again, good job and keep up the good work.

Regards,
Frekster
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 20:20
@The Nerd,
Can you send me one of your projects so I can test it? I really want to get this figured out.

@Frekster,
Thanks for the suggestions. Adding a recent projects options and giving the IDE the option to open up your last project is right near the top of the priority list. I wanted to get it in the last update, but I just ran out of time. You should see it in the next update as well as some more keyboard shortcuts.

Frekster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 20:26
Hi hyrichter,

I am finding some odd issue with the code explorer while using the keyboard. Wanted to report it and see if you get the same result.

1. go to view then code explorer
2. use only the keyboard up/down arrow keys to move through the parent tree branches
3. when you are on the labels branch, press your right arrow to expand it.
4. down arrow one time to the first child branch and let go of the down arrow key and focus moves back to the parent branch "labels". I.E it will not let me down arrow through all children - I have 8 child labels under the parent labels branch. It keeps forcing focus back to the parent branch not letting me select one using the arrow keys on the keyboard.

This is repeatable using the keyboard at least on my end.

The tree controls should let you use up/down arrow keys to move between branches and right arrow to expand and left arrow to collapse any branch in the tree. This is the default behavior for any tree control that I am aware of.

I am not sure what is causing the focus to return to the parent branch but just wanted to report it to you to see if you can reproduce it on your end and possibly fix it.

thanks.

Regards,
Frekster
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 20:30
hyrichter...when i hit select all or highlight my code and right click to copy and paste my code the highlight dispears and the code is nolonger selected

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 20:39 Edited at: 29th Oct 2006 20:40
@hyrichter:

Actually, that's pretty hard really. Because if I make a new project and write some kind of printing code and then add an include with another function is behaves like it should But when I tried the same just with copy/paste from my major project, it didn't work. It's so odd. And my only project right now is my 'big' project, which I can't really sent.

Frekster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 20:49
To the nerd,

is pressing ctrl+shift+s to save all files prior to a compile a huge problem? The reason I bring this up is that the feature to make changes to the code and then compile those changes without first having to save could be a large feature request that may take some time when he could be devoting his time towards other features.

I could be wrong though but the feature request to not have to save prior to a compile might keep him going for a while preventing him from having the time to knock out some other feature requests.

For example, the ability to not have to save prior to a compile could take him 50 hours of development time where as he may be able to knock out 10 other feature requests in that time.

Just a thought is all.

To Crazy Programmer,

After you copy all of your source, and the text is no longer highlighted, that actually could be a good thing in my opinion. For example, you press ctrl+a then ctrl+c to get a copy of your source. If the source was still highlighted you run the risk of pressing space or the wrong key and deleting it. You certainly could pres ctrl+z to undo but if code surge does not have an undo history, I.E like 20 undo's, and you pressed the space bar twice its gone since your last undo is nothing but a space. Well you could restore yoru source file from backup. However, I just wanted to say that this actually could be looked at as a useful feature rather than a bug *grin*.

Just my two beams on it *grin*.

Regards,
Frekster
Frekster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 20:50
Hi hyrichter,

Thanks for the keyboard support upcoming. Also if you cannot reproduce the tree branch issue I reported after trying it two times disregard it. Don't want to waste your time on a wild goose chase.

Regards,
Frekster
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 21:04 Edited at: 29th Oct 2006 21:05
Quote: "is pressing ctrl+shift+s to save all files prior to a compile a huge problem?"

For me it is. When you sit with a big project and make changes all the time, it's getting tidious to have to save all the time. But I guess it differs from people. I just don't like it.

Frekster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 21:45
To the nerd,

At my day job I work with projects that have around 1000 web pages in it and each page has around 500 to 800 lines of source in it. Pressing ctrl+shift+s in visual studio 2003 is crucial and is not tedious to the developers I work with and is common practise to press the keystroke after developing any amount of source.

Especially when programming in multiple files that are inner dependent.

There are huge benefits to doing this:

1. Computers can lock up at any point and if you only have your changes in memory they are lost so saving often is a good thing to me. It's saved my rear plenty of times.

2. I save prior to ever running the project since the IDE could kick out when you fire it up to execute your source/run it and if you do not save the source it's gone since it was just in memory.

The only reason I speak up on this point is it probably is a tedious programming task for him and I am not sure how many will actually benefit from it considering that save/compile is common practise in many programming shops.

I do not want to come across as arguing, I am not, just wanting to give another view point on this issue is all.

I digress now *grin*.

Regards,
Frekster
Frekster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 22:07
Hi again hyrichter,

I had a question.

I noticed that when I opened up my project in code surge that the order in which my include files were setup in the default dbp ide had been changed. In code surge the files were alphabetized where as in the default dbp list of include files they were in the order they needed to be in for proper inclusion/code execution. I.E in the include files list in the default dbp IDE you can r-c and select move up/down and the position of the include files are remembered and they are added to the compile in that order.

Is this functionality in code surge? That is, maintaining the order of the include files in the code surge IDE for the dbp compiler to compile/add them in the order that is necessary?

I tried r-c (right clicking) on the include files in the list in code surge and there was no move up/down option.

Regards,
Frekster
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2006 23:58
It's about time this was stickied, eh?

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 00:03 Edited at: 30th Oct 2006 00:07
Quote: "hyrichter...when i hit select all or highlight my code and right click to copy and paste my code the highlight dispears and the code is nolonger selected"

You don't have the latest version. Cash pointed out this error, and I released another update to fix it:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/xt/xt_apollo_download.php?i=1030159

Just for the record, Frekster, the feature for compiling what's on screen and not having to save first is supposed to already work. At least it works on my computer and I can't get it to NOT work. This saving before compile thing is really starting to puzzle me. It seems some people get the bug, and some people don't. I wish I knew what's going on or how exactly to reproduce it.

@Frekster,
Thanks for the info on the code explorer. It probably does that when it decides to refresh the code explorer. I'll have to look into that a little closer as I thought I had it disable updating the code explorer while you browse through it. Unfortunately, I'm quite busy with other work at the moment, and so CodeSurge updates have to wait a little while.

Edit:
Didn't see the next page. First off, thanks for the sticky, Jeku.

Sorry, there is no way right now to change the order of your includes in CodeSurge. Technically, though, it shouldn't really matter as you're only supposed to have functions in them anyway.

Frekster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 03:22
Hi hyrichter,

One thing you might want to do is send the people getting the bug a special build of the compiler that writes each step of the process to a text file and values of expected variables etc. This would at least let you get a history of each action performed and be able to get a general idea as to where in the source it is failing. I.E written to the log.txt file you might see...

user clicked select all
variable X is null
user clicked copy
variable X is populated

Just a thought.

Regards,
Frekster
Frekster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 03:24
hyrichter - no problem with the suggestions/features taking time, I am in no rush and understand time being limited. Time, can someone tell me what time means? It is not in my dictionary... *grin*

Regards,
Frekster
thedubdude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 07:47
Sadly this IDE fails to compile my program. It issues a compiler error. This program compiles fine with the original DBPro IDE. I have no idea how to help you fix the problem.
thedubdude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 08:05
BTW...I'm using version .9 build 2 of CodeSurge and 1.062C of DBPro. My program is 32662 lines long. I noticed that the order of my included programs is not the same as it was with the orginal IDE from theGameCreators, though I don't know if this has anything to do with the compiler error.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 15:16
Quote: "1. Computers can lock up at any point and if you only have your changes in memory they are lost so saving often is a good thing to me. It's saved my rear plenty of times."

Sure. I also save many, many times. I do. But I'm still not used to the fact that you have to save before compiling.

Quote: "I do not want to come across as arguing, I am not, just wanting to give another view point on this issue is all."

Sure thing It's always nice to get some other view points. But as I said. I guess it's a matter of personel preference

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2006 21:57
Having the code in the editor compile is standard functionality for IDE's as far as I know. I've never heard of having to save the source code before compiling/running the game.

For people that want to save before compiling, then make an option in the IDE to "Save before compile" or something so the IDE does it for you.

Not everyone wants to save before compiling. I for one try a bunch of different things with my code and compile/run the code. If it does what I want after 20+ minutes of coding... great then I'll save it. If it doesn't work or seems clunky, I can exit the IDE and reload the project and start over with a different approach.

Just another viewpoint.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Mike J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2006 19:26
First, let me say I am impressed. Nice job!

Now on to my observation - a very minor point. In commercial IDEs like Visual Studio, if text is highlighted in the edit window and you type Ctrl+F, the highlighted text appears in the entry field of the Find dialog. Is there an option to make this happen, or is this something you might be interested in adding?

I hope this hasn't been mentioned already... this is a long thread.

Thanks for making such a nice IDE available.

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 22:59:24
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 22:59:24