Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Firewall 2: Second Defense...screenshots and videos

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2006 23:42
Thanks everyone, glad you like the look of it so far.

Those screenshots are a little bit dark, I played with the settings and brightened it up a bit, looks clearer now.

@ Mattman: It's okay, sometimes I need some bugging to get stuff done. To tell the truth, I didn't even notice a difference when I added bump mapping, maybe I didn't do it right, or maybe my normal map needed to be modified or something. I'll give it another shot and let you know what happens

@ Bahamut: Haha, oops, I see what you mean now. I wasn't really looking at a paper-rock-scissors sort of system, but to tell the truth it never occured to me. I was planning on having all of the units have different strengths and weaknesses, while certain units have specific advantages and disadvantages against eachother. For example, one type of unit will have a cloaking sort of device, so most units cannot see it. However, one unit on the other team would be able to see it. Things like that...how does that sound?

@ CPU: Well, on the motherboard, all of the collision that occurs is boxes so far. There really isn't too much colliding going on, thanks to the pathfinding functions that I have installed.

Yes, the visible tile system is gone. It was too limiting for me. The map is still tile-based, but it is less noticable. I want this too look more professional and attract more attention, and it seems that games that look similar to recognized games get more attention. Not that I want to make my game look like an existing game, but you get my point.

Progress update:

Well, I decided it was finally time to start putting in AI. It is going alright, I guess. I kept screwing up stuff last night, so I decided I needed sleep before working on it more. I think I'll be able to figure it out alright, but I need a break for a little bit. I might work on it tonight, or tomorrow. I'm not feeling so great right now, so I'll see how it goes.

Xander Moser - Bolt Software - Firewall
CPU
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 00:44
Yep... point taken, hidden tile system =)

Oh, if you remember I made a few textures for firewall, if you find a need for a seamless texture or two or some effect image I'd be glad to help out, I thought I'd throw that out there, in case you want/need it.

It's looking awsome so far bolt, I'm counting on the AI being better than the original, and that was by far the best ever made in a DB game in my opinion.

Good luck, and keep it up!

CPU

[center]K-OS Battlefields
IS
///---///---///---UNDER CONSTRUCTION---\\\---\\\---\\\
[center]
optical r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2006 22:09 Edited at: 8th Jun 2006 14:52
Excellent pace of progress made here Xander. Mesmerising

edit: ignore

[URL=http://www.designrjs.com]
[/URL] Professional WebDesigns on request!
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2006 03:19
@ CPU: Yeah, I remember that, one of them was a smoke texture that helped me out quite a bit. I'll keep your offer in mind, thanks a lot.

@ optical r: Thanks, I'm trying to keep the pace up, as I want to be able to be ready to add multiplayer in September.

Progress Update:
Okay, I was sick for a couple days, but I'm alright now. I got all of the problems that I was having trouble with sorted out, finally.

-Basic AI finished: computer controlled teams will calculate most advantageous build pads to take over and send appropriate units to capture them, build more power stations, and capture more build pads

-Added all 6 basic color possibilities: red, green, blue, yellow, cyan, magenta

-Improved pathfinding by cutting size of squares in half. Does not noticably hurt performance.

I am now going to start working on adding virus units so that the two teams will be more identifiable. I have a lot of work right now to do to get the game to the next step: add unit AI and unit weapons, this will take a little while. I'll keep you updated.

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 17:00
Just another idea; maybe perhaps the virus units could be somewhat based upon (looks wise) real viruses? Just a thought...

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2006 18:40
Just to let you know, I'm still following this thread

There are three types of people, those that can count and those that can't.
djsilver 666666
Years of Service
User Offline
YAY! I absolutely love Firewall. And I am glad you are making a sequel, just a couple questions:

Is this in DB Pro?
If it's in DB Pro, will you please make a multi player option?

Is there another forum like http://boltsoftware.proboards21.com/ for Firewall2?

And I hope you remember me! I was one of the ones that complained about your "Bolt" not being smooth in the intro on Firewall (1).

So far, your Firewall2 looks like an absolutely killer sequel to Firewall1. I can't tell you how happy I am that you are making a sequel!

http://djpics.smugmug.com/photos/69017163-O.jpg
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 00:04
Quote: "Just another idea; maybe perhaps the virus units could be somewhat based upon (looks wise) real viruses? Just a thought..."

That's a very good idea... they should also have a sort of twisted and spiked look to add to the feeling that they shouldn't be there. And the light they give off should definitely be red, unless you want to let the player customize their own color scheme, like in homeworld.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I like the idea of organic looking enemies too if you haven't set your sites on something mechanical. Maybe something in between like biomechanical?

[url=http://www.silver-dawn.net]www.Silver-dawn.net[url]
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2006 23:30
Haha, you guys have the exact same ideas that I did, I guess that is a good thing. I am going for a dark look with hexagonal influences thrown in, because viruses often have six sides. I am stil thinking of some special unit types, and one of them for the viruses that will possibly attach to Firewall units and take control of them will look just like a virus type thing. The unit that I am working on right now has 4 legs (not animated yet) connected to a circular body with a big gun mounted on top.

Quote: "Is this in DB Pro?
If it's in DB Pro, will you please make a multi player option?"

As I have previously stated, that is my main goal for this game. I won't be working on that aspect until at least September though.

Quote: "Is there another forum like http://boltsoftware.proboards21.com/ for Firewall2?"

No, I don't see that as being necessary as of yet. I think that this thread provides ample feedback, as I am not yet prepared for beta testing.

Quote: "And the light they give off should definitely be red, unless you want to let the player customize their own color scheme, like in homeworld.
"

I have incorporated the ability to choose your own color in the game right now. However, the units aren't as blatantly "colorful" as they were in the first game, as they look more realistic and mechanical now. The colors provide accents and lights on the units.

I am almost done with the texturing for the new unit. My progress is a little slow, but I'll get back into it eventually. Sometimes you need a small break before you can continue working hard.

Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 06:06
I scimmed this entire thread for screenies.

I only found 3 different ones

FunkyStickmen: Battle of the Races (1%)
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 07:47
@ Image All: That's because I removed all of the older ones. I don't see a reason why you would want to see older ones anyway. If you would skim a little deeper you would see that I made notes where I deleted older screenshots.

Progress Update:

-I finally got back into the mood and finished the virus unit. No walking animation yet, but looks good otherwise.

-Fixed the AI, it is actually very quick and intelligent now. Looks at all of the buildpads, finds the best one to capture, goes after it, builds a base, moves or build more units, captures more pads, etc.

-Fixed more collision and pathfinding stuff, as well as lots of small graphical fixes

-Finished virus turret base

-Fixed all problems with virus side, the player can now play from either side: Firewall or Virus

I will be connected to fast internet tomorrow, I can upload some new screenshots then!

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jun 2006 23:13
Sorry for the double post, but here are updated screenshots of the virus units and the new virus turret. You may notice that there is no shadowing on the tubes on the virus turret, I will fix that ASAP...

And don't worry, Mattman, I will be working on bumpmapping now

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jun 2006 10:07 Edited at: 14th Jun 2006 10:12
Xander - Looks amazing as per usual.

the screenshots have a really good feel about them, very good visuals.

This may well be DBpro's Flagship.

edit - Had a thought, if you want a good intro video for your Bolt Logo, I could give it w whirl...http://www.glightdev.com/concept/Glightdev.avi its way too big, but I did that 18 months ago. I can do that kind of thing and better if your interested.

Once again, Firewall 2 will be awesome.

regards,
greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 02:23
Aww yeah son.

Why make sense when you could make brownies?
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome dude thats just awesome

The admiral
Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2006 23:46
Sweet monkey nuts! Firewall 2 is looking to be the best game in dbp ever made. Keep at it!

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Red Ocktober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 20:24 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 20:24
looks really first rate from the vids as well as the screenies...

definitely one of the better looking DBPro projects.

--Mike
lower logic
Years of Service
User Offline
looks very amazing from the screen shots. I cannot wait to play it! lol
How many lines of code does it have?
LordoFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2006 04:58 Edited at: 18th Jun 2006 22:09
Oh my! That does look quite awsome! I love the little details such as the lighting coming out of the chips, etc. Very nice, I look forward to seeing where this goes!

UFO
Years of Service
User Offline
That better not be your banner, LordoFire
You should change it before the mods do.

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2006 17:02
@Xander:

I Got one word to say to you about firewall 2, OUTSTANDING!!

Currently working on WORLD, a free world editor for DBP and another world building tool for the OMMORPG project!
LordoFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2006 22:00 Edited at: 18th Jun 2006 22:08
Is that a more reasonable size UFO? And I agree with DB kind

[edit]
ok, how about this?

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
No, it still doesn't meet the requirements, for one it can't be over 120 px high, so you should change that.

LordoFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2006 22:09
Alright anime, should be fixed now. Is that better?

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, it is.

Back on topic though, Xander, any progress on the bump-mapping? I'm a graphics whore and would love to see it. =P

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2006 22:56
Whew, I haven't been online for almost a week. Thanks for the comments everybody, I really appreciate your input. But just because I haven't been online doesn't mean I haven't been hard at work. I have actualy gotten a lot done in the past 5 days. Here's a progress report:

Progress Update

-I got bump mapping working! It took me more than 2 full days of messing with all the different shaders, but I finally got one working. I believe it is the nVidia based shader modified by someone, so I will have to check if it is legal. It looks amazing though, it creates a bump map effect, as well as a glare on the board, depending on the angle that the camera is at.

-I fixed up the colored tubes on the Virus turret, added some ghosting effects

-I started making a map/radar, not quite finished yet

-Started making the avoidance system for the flying units, but I just stared that this morning, so I'm not done yet

-Added a tracking system to the turrets so they find a target and track it perfectly

-Improved the AI, it is much faster and more responsive now.

-Fixed up some of the gui, looks smoother and more professional

That's about it...lots of little things too. I will have new screenshots up in a day or two when I can get online with my computer. Maybe some new videos too. The only reason I don't want to show more videos is because I don't have a walking animation for the virus units, but I guess I can overlook that for now. I have yet to learn animation.

@ greenlig: Thanks, that's a great offer. I can't check out the video right now, but will when I can. I do need a better intro for this game...I want to make a cool intro video with game content too, eventually.

@lower logic: So far it is over 3,000 lines, not including the pathfinding functions. It is not extremely optomized though.

@ Mattman and Anime Blood: Bump mapping in the next screenshots...sorry you have to wait.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 11:31
Awesome stuff mate. Hopefully you can get the marketting right on this one and make yaself some well earned casheesh. It's good looking and unique enough to definitely rouse enough interest so long as you get it out there. Good stuff.

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 04:21

I'm speechless.... The graphics in those screenshots... they were AwEsOme! GOOD JOB!

I doubt you can draw me/60 by hand, so you REALLY can't draw ME/1, can you?
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 09:32
Thanks a lot Fallout and Sixty. I hope you like these as well. Actually, I consider this just something to take up my time during the summer and when I'm bored at school. If I can make a little bit of money, that'd be great, but I don't worry too much about it. That's why I'm going to college anyway, for mechanical design engineering, not video game design.

Here are some new screenies:

And here is a larger screenshot, showing from full zoomed out view. (It's only 220Kb or so, but I figured I'd be nice and keep it as a link)

http://www.boltsoftwaregames.com/Firewall2-Image19.jpg

Progress Update

-I finished the avoidance routines for the flying units, the almost never hit eachother, and fly over and other eachother while banking and pitching while they move. It looks pretty slick, I'll show it in the next video. Will probably have to wait until Monday though for the next video.

-*Finally* got the units to show up on the map. It took forever to get all of the z-sorting done. If anyone needs some help with transparency and z-sorting, I may be able to lend some assistance.

Next on my to-do list:

-Add colors to the buildpads on the map to show who owns them (will take very little time, I just have to get around to it)

-Make more units and bases (I finally got some ideas a couple days ago)

I am hoping to get a small demo to a few select beta testers next week, to make sure it works on other computers. Then, in two weeks, I think I can release a demo to the public So keep checking the thread!

Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 17:24 Edited at: 21st Jun 2006 17:25
Believe me, I'll be checking this thread.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 20:48
ME TOO!!!

There are three types of people, those that can count and those that can't.
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 21:02 Edited at: 21st Jun 2006 21:02
@Xander

There's only a handful of people on these boards who've written a full-blown, fairly complex game and even fewer who've done it in both DBPro and DBC. A couple of months ago, DBPro rubbished by forum-dwellers as being too buggy to take up any serious development.

How are you finding it?

[center]
But you see, I have the will of the warrior. Therefore, the battle is already over. The winner? Me!
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 00:18
@ adr: Hmm...I think that it is all up to the developer to find new and creative ways to do things. DBPro obviously has a few bugs, but there are always alternative ways to do things. When I was in the middle of working on Firewall in DBC, I purchased DBPro and hoped to conver it over. I tried several times, unsucessfully. I was kind of disappointed, but decided to finish the game anway in DBC. I was surprised at the positive response that I received from the community, and decided that I would some day like to create a new game from scratch in DBPro. I have only been working on this new game for about 2 1/2 months, and have gotten farther than I thought I could in that amount of time. I have had several problems that I wasn't sure I would be able to fix to make them appear how I wanted, but I worked at them, sometimes for days at a time, to get over them. One of the things was with overlapping objects with alpha blending and transparency. It took a while, but I finally got it all working. Granted, it could have been made a little bit easier for me if the commands worked like I expected them to, but I think that doing it the hard way is sometimes better; I learned a lot in the process.

As to comparing DBC and DBPro, I like DBPro much better. Despite it's few bugs, I could never turn back to DBC after using data types, shaders, and memblocks. Not to mention all of the user-make plugins available. I really can't wait to start programming multiplayer.

Just wait a few months and tell those rubbish-talkers to check this thread...all it takes is some dedication, motivation, and a lot of freetime

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 03:32
People often mistake their inability to code for DBPs inability to handle resources. A properly made game is an illusion that appears to exceed the capabilities of the computer, but in reality everything is so cleverly managed that it appears to be doing much more than it really is.

Come see the WIP!
Dreamora
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2006 22:15
Looks definitely great
But somehow more frightening as well (even harder challanges in the FPS levels?!)

Got me to add my firewall 1 to the install list for my new system that is to arrive soon
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 07:18 Edited at: 24th Jun 2006 07:21
Very good point Cash. I try to use simple 3D objects with good textures and transparency and such to mimic high poly shader enhanced models. Small things like that really add up and make it look much more than it really is too.

Thanks Dreamora. As I recall, you helped out a lot with Firewall 1, right? Well, sorry to say, but there won't be a seperate 3rd person shooter mode this time. I am going to concentrate all of my efforts on making the RTS the best that it con possibly be. I am probably going to include a 3rd person camera view to enhance the action, but no single unit controls. I want to spend more time on making a better campaign mode and expanding the gameplay for the RTS.

Progress Update

Well, a lot has been going on with me recently, cutting into my time with the game a little bit. I got a job for the summer, probably between 20 and 30 hours a week, and I'm saving up for a car, and I will be driving my parents around whenever I can so that I'm ready for my driver's exam in August. But I am getting a lot done on the game when I actually have time for it.

-I had added a new unit, it only took me 2 days to make it, all in about 4 hours. It's in the screenshot below...

-Finished the map, with a position indicator and build pad markers, as well as making it clickable so you can move to a location

-Added a virus shield base, will finish the firewall shield base soon, screenshots to come

Dreamora
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 11:55
Yepp, I tested FW V1+

And I'm not sad that you took out the FPS mode. On my end it was and still is the most frustrating part and broke the "feel".
Expanding the gameplay on the RTS side sounds great
Can't wait to see with what ideas you come up this time *when I think back how puzzled I was when I realized that the bases sneaked in *
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great just how I would invision an virus to be.

The admiral
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 16:51
I hate posting when I have nothing useful to say, but this just keeps getting better and better. Those viruses are just incredible.

You've established a mood and are capitalizing on it. Awesome work. I look forward to purchasing this game.

Come see the WIP!
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 17:25
I keep saying this, but this game rocks!

Working on 2 projects: A Free Map/World Editor and my RTS game
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2006 02:55
Thanks guys, glad it looks okay to someone else. I am going to work a little bit on the top of the viruses probably, make them look not so perfect.

Don't worry about having nothing to say, I still appreciate your posting!

I have been working at my job all weekend, and will be working Monday and Tuesday, and will be busy on Wednesday. So my schedule is kind of screwed up now. I'll keep you all posted on what my plans are for release of the game.

Cian Rice
Years of Service
User Offline
I think you should leave the probes alone from a geometric standpoint. But you could change the texture for the top to make it look all cracked up and infected.

Hawkeye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2006 04:15
Quote: "I hate posting when I have nothing useful to say, but this just keeps getting better and better."

I am but mad north north-west; when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw - Hamlet, Hamlet
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2006 05:56
Whoa, sweet! I love the virus guys! Oh, and another unit idea would be a Trojan horse virus, that masquerades as one of your units, until it suddenly blows up! Or something...

danielp
User Banned
Posted: 26th Jun 2006 07:23
Quote: "Quote: "I hate posting when I have nothing useful to say, but this just keeps getting better and better.""

Same here This rocks.

danielp

danielp
Email - thegamecreators@danielp.e4ward.com
My Specs - 2047MB RAM | P4 3.4GHz | XP 5.1.2600 SP2 | GeForce 6800 256MB | Dell 230310 1600x1200 34x27cm
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2006 22:46
Quote: "I think you should leave the probes alone from a geometric standpoint. But you could change the texture for the top to make it look all cracked up and infected."

Yeah, that is what I did. I left the geometry, I just changed the texture a little. Didn't think of adding cracks though, thanks for that idea. I'll do that tonight.

Quote: "Oh, and another unit idea would be a Trojan horse virus, that masquerades as one of your units, until it suddenly blows up! Or something..."

I had the same idea, except I didn't think of making them look like firewall units. I may do that, or I may make them appear as powerups to pick up, then explode on impact. Depends on how other things in the game turn out.

I do need some feedback on one thing though, just from the screenshots. Do they look pretty dark for anyone else? The game looks fine on my laptop, but on my family's computer, the screenshots look really dark, I can't see it nearly as well as I'd like to. What does it look like on everyone else's screens?

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2006 02:17
DAMN THAT LOOKS GOOD! I never really thought anyone could make a DBP Game look that nice!!

However much you charge for this game when finished, I'd pay!

[center]
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2006 03:32
Quote: "[quote]"Oh, and another unit idea would be a Trojan horse virus, that masquerades as one of your units, until it suddenly blows up! Or something...""

I had the same idea, except I didn't think of making them look like firewall units. I may do that, or I may make them appear as powerups to pick up, then explode on impact. Depends on how other things in the game turn out.[/quote]

and you could have a virus scanner that can tell you if a power-up is safe or not. and it could take a more powerful scanner to pick up tricker trojans

Thread: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78971&b=8&p=0
*New Website Coming Soon*
Flindiana Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2006 06:34
I don't think the screens look too dark...well, maybe a wee bit, but not too much at all.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 16:13:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 16:13:59