Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / WORLD V1.00 - Free World Builder For DBP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2008 01:29
How do you set up collision with your world?
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2008 02:37
Quote: "Write your own exporters/importers to allow you to export worlds in your own custom format"

This would be insanely awesome. I'm working on an engine that loads and unloads parts of a map in sectors. Each sector's info is currently held in a memory-based INI file thanks to IanM's ini plugin. The plan is to get big Mercenaries type worlds for the player to explore. Being able to write the format in your editor would make my life alot easier. Do you think you could add read/write commands for INI files using IanM's plugin?

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2008 00:17 Edited at: 18th Jun 2008 00:19
Wow, its been a long time since I posted on this thread. Been away from this site for nearly 2 years. Gives me Enthusiasm to see my thread is still on page one of program announcements too.

Well i've started reinstalling all my DB Pro stuff and unburried my precious WORLD program code (exactly how i left it ) so all I need to do is spend a few days going through it again to see where i was up to. I May end up recoding some of it too.

But anyway, You guys know im back now. And thanks for keeping it on page 1 all this time. I really appreciate it.

@Airslide:
Well, on reading your idea, i may probably end up recoding WORLD from scratch. Since i've been away from here i've learnt a few nifty things which make WORLD look like a laggy heap of cake.

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2008 05:58
@DBking- Glad your back! I look forward to update's for World.

All the best,

Beasteagargoyle

Streets of Rage the best 3d beat em up ever check out the wip on apollo forums!
The Last Great Swordsmen Wip here http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124414&b=19
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 03:48
Glad to see you back. Really curious what you will bring to the World.

Making nothing for the forth straight year; or is it five years now?

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2008 20:55 Edited at: 20th Jun 2008 20:57
After giving this some thought i've decided to start from scratch with WORLD (again). The main reason was because theres so many plugins it was going to deal with and so many settings for each one that its just become one big mess.

Sooo, the new WORLD i'm about to start coding will be coded from the ground up with all the most popular plugins already enabled (used by WORLD) but then at export you choose which bits you dont want to export. Not only that, you might be able to have a lot of fun stacking crates up then knocking em over in the editor.

Might be a while before I'll be able to show some decent progress though. So my appologies in advance.

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 17:30
Just glad that you are back.

Making nothing for the forth straight year; or is it five years now?

starstrike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 18:28 Edited at: 1st Jul 2008 18:33
getting an error running your latest avaiable world version:

Im using vista 64bit. Error occurs at the moment the program loads in. I see a white rectangle just before it crashes.

Edit: just downloaded and ran the 0.9b version of it, and that seems to work ok so far
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2008 00:10 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2008 00:11
Thats weird. Only problem with this is I don't have Windows Vista so I won't be able to find out what's wrong with it. Im still on XP until I can afford a new PC/OS.

starstrike
Years of Service
User Offline
looking at the 0.9b version, the last thing I see in the last release is the new world window, then it crashes when it disappear. I guess those are shown for a split second on startup ?
Tv Xxx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2008 20:58
Ok, For Everyone Who's Having Problems On Vista, I've Found A Tempory Fix, It Still Crashes Out If You Click Somethings, But You Can Make A Map.

1 / Open The Folder Containing World.exe

2 / Right Click "WORLD.exe"

3 / Click Properties

4 / Click The "Compatability" Tab

5 / Rune The Program In Compatibility Mode For Windows 95

6 / Apply and Run.

It Should Now Work, Well It Does For Me.

Yours Tv.

SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2008 04:55 Edited at: 30th Nov 2008 01:44
This is pretty good. In the next version (if you're making it) you should make the cursor, target, thing get bigger as you zoom out of the screen so you know where it is, or try to make it more noticable.
SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2008 06:35 Edited at: 30th Nov 2008 02:11
Oh and one more thing whenever I click tutorials at the top it doesn't show any new diologue box or any new screen to show me the tutorials for WORLD.

If I can't use the tutorials, then can someone tell me: what is the code you're supposed to input into DBP to upload the coordinates for all the objects? OH! one more thing, when you upload the position of any characters that are supposed to move, such as enemies, can you still give those objects an ID and then give them the proper codes for them to be able to move around then attack you? Or is WORLD only made for objects that don't move? And in that case, would a program like Cartography shop or 3D World Studio be able to do this? And am I asking to many question?
Burnman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2009 00:24
DBking, are you still working on World 2.0?
apocaliv
Years of Service
User Offline
Doesn't work on Vista x64! I can't start the program. UAC disabled.
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2009 18:36
Well I was working on it until I got Vista (and later Windows 7 beta). BlueGUI doesn't work too well with Vista/Win 7 so and since it was the plugin I was using to make up WORLD's GUI, I'm pretty much stuck at the moment until theres another Windows GUI plugin for darkbasic, or I get round to making my own.

feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
sixty squares wrote a button one awhile back, search for sixty squares and you'll probably find it. It's pure DBPro code, and I don't think there's input... but it's something. I'm actually planning on figuring it out within the next few days to undo my need for andromodus's studio.

If we have DBPro community-made set of GUI functions, I can see that coming in very handy for the next few windows @#$#'s, er... I mean versions.

Signed
------
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2009 22:00
Quote: "BlueGUI doesn't work too well with Vista/Win 7"

I'm currently using BlueGUI for a big project and don't like to hear things like this. What problems did you have with Vista?

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2009 10:44 Edited at: 19th Mar 2009 10:51
Quote: "I'm currently using BlueGUI for a big project and don't like to hear things like this. What problems did you have with Vista?"

It was mostly the fact that list views don't seem to show icons anymore and tree views have big + signs next to branch titles instead of normal sized ones. Tree views also didn't seem to want to show icons any more. I also had a problem where I'd click on a BlueGUI toolbar sometimes and the program would crash.

Aaron Miller has one that works fine with vista and its free. He's currently in the process of making a new version which is looking much better than BlueGUI so far:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=97660&b=8

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2009 09:18
This looks realy good

Now i dont hafta spend all my time making one...lol

SMD3DInteractive
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2009 14:29
Glad you're still working on this. I think your site is the only one still being used from all the ones at TGC forums I hosted for. Great work man.

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2009 15:53 Edited at: 21st Mar 2009 16:04
I might eventually get around to updating the website once I have something worthwhile for WORLD V2 to put up on there. At the moment I can't really show much without a working GUI plugin. The one I've already posted videos for on this thread won't run in vista because of BlueGUI, so I'm gonna either diggsey's DarkForms GUI plugin is finished or wait until Aaron Miller finishes his free windows GUI plugin that works on vista/win 7.

Once I have a GUI plugin, I'm going to have to recode from scratch anyway. Whatever the outcome though, there will definitly be a WORLD V2 eventually and it WILL work on vista/win 7.

@Lost In Thought:
Thanks Lost. Also, thanks for hosting it for so long too. I Couldn't have got it started without you. It's been over 2 years since you started hosting it, so I've added you to a credits list in the first post. You more than deserve it.

feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
I recoded a basic button one because of this problem, though I have yet to come up with a way to get input. It's in the Code Snippets if you haven't already checked.

Perhaps a bitmap font and a way to delay (so it doesn't repeat text when you hold a button an extra millisec) would help. What do you need? I won't mind updating my GUI functions, if images work for it... if not, I'm coding a 3D GUI system for my current version of Kana Blast... It'll be commercial so that source won't be given, but I could always strip out the game parts and leave the bare min. I'm going to use Planes.

My guess is you'll need checkboxes, buttons that stay down, and input, anything more? (heh, file requester, just remembered)

Signed
------
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 23rd Mar 2009 19:38
@apocaliv
Quote: "Doesn't work on Vista x64! I can't start the program. UAC disabled."

i set it to win98 compatability w/ "run as admin" and it ran fine. i placed some entities, ran lightmap tool and seemed fine on vista 64. haven't played with it too much but so far, so good.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2009 22:08
Thanks man, but no need to mention me really. I'm just glad you stuck with it. I think this could really help alot of people as it has already

Dared1111
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. This is a huge weight off my shoulders.

Mew151
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 07:26
Is there any way to make it run for Vista?
I really want to use it!

wolfy
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 22:27
See Virtual Nomad's post above.

The same method should work for both.
SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I use World in vista. It works fine. I just wish there was an undo feature .
lucifer 1101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 04:34
Hello DBKing, I am here on behalf of the DBP Buddies asking if we may place your excellent world editor on our website at http://dbpbuddies.co.cc/, we would be very grateful to have your game on there and would love to see more from you in the future. I have personally been looking at this often and have been hoping to use it for some time now, that may be soon when i get to making one of the games im intrigued to make..

Please if you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact any of the DBP Buddies staff..

Best Regards Lucifer1101

Florent974
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I've just download your wold editor, but when i launched it, it crashes.
I'm on WinXP, directX 9.0c.
Somebody can help ?
thanks

Newbie today ! But in ...2 or 3 years ?
Florent974
Years of Service
User Offline
so i tried to modify the compatibility mode and the soft launch without crashs but with some black toolboxs... i attach a screenshot if it can help understanding..
Thanks

Newbie today ! But in ...2 or 3 years ?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
SJH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 19:37 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2009 19:44
Usually you have to go into the program's compatibility and change it to run on a lower version of windows; the quality will be the same and it will run fine. For me I have vista and changed the compatibility to "Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5)" and everything works fine for me. And I hope you don't mind DBKing, but I went to the website where I can download world and made an icon from the big world image at the top of the screen, because when I downlaoded it the image looked very pixalated and weird, so I just made a new icon: . I'm not sure but it might help to run the program in administrator, though it's just a theory. EDIT: Ok, if it keeps doing that try lowering compatibility even more until it does work right, if you're at the lowest possible and it still doesn't work then you have there's a problem
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 21:12 Edited at: 18th Nov 2009 21:13
Well it seems BlueGUI has decided to completely fail after the last few upgrade 7.x updates to DBP. So, I've taken to coding my own GUI library in DBP which is another set back for the development of WORLD V2.

I've only started on the new GUI stuff today, but I've already got the start of a flexible menu system going. It isn't much to look at just yet, but heres a screenshot anyway just to liven stuff up a bit.

Let me know if you like the colour scheme so far. I may even end up releasing the GUI library if it gets to the point of being useful to more than just myself.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
N3wton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 21:18
Blue GUI isnt broken, I'm using it in my project.

Though there is a bug in the GUI.dba if you comment out the COMMAND constant, it should work

Can't wait for World V2

and you GUI looks very nice

Yours
N3wton

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 21:37 Edited at: 18th Nov 2009 21:39
@N3wton:
Thanks.

I've tried what you said, but BlueGUI still won' work. I'm on U7.4 of DBP and Windows 7. I've tried every compatibility mode as well.

BlueGUI works fine for me until I start seperating the code out between functions and source code files. Like, If i have a panel created in one .dba file, then try to add any child gadgets onto it in another .dba file, it doesn't work. Usually that'd work fine, but it doesn't seem to like it now. Treeview gadgets seem to be full of problems for me now as well. Sometimes they work and have huge + signs next to items on them, or they don't appear, or I mouse over them and my program crashes.

I noticed evolved gave up on his Mapscape editor as well because of BlueGUI playing up. All seems to have happened over the last few 7.x updates.

Anyway, I guess by making my own GUI it'll be easier to fix and a lot more flexible.

Very nice terrain editor you have there too by the way.

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2009 13:46
Looking pretty good to me, and I can understand why you are choosing to forge ahead with your own GUI code. Good luck, and thanks for sharing you work with the community.
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I've tried what you said, but BlueGUI still won' work. I'm on U7.4 of DBP and Windows 7. I've tried every compatibility mode as well."

If you haven't seen it yet, PureGDK supports a plethora of GUI functions as well as native Win32 API to extend its functionality.

It also has a visual designer:

And with the power of Win32 you can even create your own custom gadgets:

These are all native OS windows and are not drawn within the DBP screen, leaving you more FPS for your program and allowing you to create separate floating windows.

PureGDK also supports embedding the DBP screen into any window; even MDI windows for a true editor-like interface:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 17:37:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 17:37:26