Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / WORLD V1.00 - Free World Builder For DBP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 15:11
I've been using the 3ds/x to dbo converter quite alot, and I couldn't help noticing how it often crashes on some 3ds files. It's only, like, 50% of the times it loads the object without crashing - and it's not random. Some objects it just doesn't want to load, and crashes after a while.
Vampiric
Years of Service
User Offline
3ds support for dark basic is screwed, they've changes the file structure that many times that you can hardly keep up with it.

Computer says n00bed
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2007 22:32
Quote: "sorry, V2 is nowhere near finished yet. "

Oh, but I don't want V2, I just want a version without the "2" at the end of the load object command so I can lightmap my buildings

Pirates of Port Royale
Live the life of a pirate.
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 00:44 Edited at: 21st Jul 2007 03:53
@Mecha:
Yeah, there isn't really much I can do about the 3DS models crashing. I've had the same problem loading 3ds models into several other DBP projects/games and just they just seem to load when they feel like it.

@Gil Galvanti:
ahh, now I get you. I'll fix it if I get a bit of time, since it's only a small problem.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2007 11:52
@ DBking: I see that you changed your mind and started again/continued with your nVidia-Comp-Entry! (I think it's a good choice to try it! I wish you all the best to get a prize!)

AMD 64X2 4800+ (939); 2GB; GF 6800LE (@12PS, 6VS; 380 MHz, RAM: 434 MHz)
DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.2):
http://rapidshare.com/files/3326313/PhysiX-Brick-Breakout---V--1-2.zip
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2007 13:32 Edited at: 27th Jan 2007 13:39
I've fixed some of the bugs you people requested. You can download V1.2 and continue your work (if you haven't got sick of waiting a found another tool, like I would of). If that light mapper bug (with losing textures) is not fixed now, it can only be the actual Dark Lights plugin.

Anyway, here's the list of changes (although only small):

Here's the download link: http://world.mapmasterz.com/downloads/WorldV1_2.zip

I've also updated the download link in my first post.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2007 10:20
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2007 02:12
The lightmapping bug is still there for me

Pirates of Port Royale
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 00:09 Edited at: 30th Jan 2007 00:16
Okay, either I'm just unlucky or I'm doing something wrong, because all of your objects lightmap fine, but mine either a) lose their texture and do lightmap, or b) go completely black and don't lightmap at all . I've tried .x and .dbo, I've tried exporting from CS4, I've tried copying from DarkMatter, and I've tried using models with DBP. None of them work for me . Lol, I really want to use this cause it's an awesome tool, but I must be doing something wrong, or, like I said, very unlucky. What exactly do I need to do to lightmap? I place a light (close enough to see a difference), and then set an object to lightmap, then calculate. Is that right?

EDIT: Minor breakthrough, when I relightmapped the model I was using from darkmatter (as in i have to lightmap it once, then click it again), it's texture shows up and it actually works, but unfortunately the same technique doesn't work for any of the other objects (CS4 or DBP models)

Pirates of Port Royale
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 17:12
@Gil Galvanti:
What graphics card have you got. I'm asking because I tried light mapping a few objects for my Compo entry, using a College computer and it completely messes up the objects. This doesnt happen on my desktop.

Just wondering if it has something to do with your Graphics card?
I have a Radeon X1600 XT and it works like a charm here.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2007 17:21 Edited at: 30th Jan 2007 17:50
Downloading new version.ill see how well it runs here.

EDIT:

Works fine with me,but theres no code exported to let it run in DBP?

Master Xilo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2007 19:45
wow, that's a wonderful and helpful application
it works without problems on my machine

Pentium 4 3.40 gHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS AGP 512MB
1024 MB DDR-RAM
Windows XP SP2

good work!

-MX
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2007 20:49 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2007 20:52
@Prince of Darkness:
Quote: "Works fine with me,but theres no code exported to let it run in DBP?"

If you didn't export any game code there wont be. The code is only exported when you go to the 'File' menu, htne export, then check the box on the exporter which says 'Export DBA Game Code'.

Hope this helps.

@Master Xilo:
Thanks for the much appreciated feeback.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2007 10:58
Ow,im used that it saves the code with it for some reason

-Prince Of Darkness
Vibe139
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2007 13:13
This is amazing. But in V2 you should be able to create primitives, like cubes spheres and stuff.

But its nice

G
just me
Years of Service
User Offline
man still can't use world, i think it's something with my pc. i don't know the name in english. some guys says i need to change that peace of my p.c. but the problem is it's stuck(U can't get it out i mean) i'll have to buy a new p.c. anyway keep up the good work db king .

bye bye, oh and does somebody know a well person maker for free? (3D please)
Nabil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2007 01:05
dont know if this had been mentioned before...

BUG: Crash.
MSG: "Runtime Error 7006 - Object number illegal at line 4934"
VER: WORLD v1.2
HOWTO:
1. loading example
2. deleting it on pressing the red X (only when pressing X, not the menu)

.. this is bad...

btw:
1. starting up takes hell long... only for me ?
2. a button to let an object "drop" onto the object below would be great. kind of a move an object down until hit. would be neat and take a lot of work for some of us.

-Nabil/BananaAcid- The Banana has you...?!
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2007 02:57
if you added primitives that could be textured then this would be a very useful level editor.. as it is i dont have the modelling skills to take advantage of it
G T R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2007 15:53
Man your prog is awsome!
well there is some few bugs but they can be avoided..
like the delete button in the object menu it makes an error

i suggest adding attributes in the menu for using in the game
like this picture

these settings dont need to affect anything in the editor just for the game
and it'd be nice if the hide checkbox makes the object a "see throug" in the editor

this will be helpful to make hidden collision objects
and organize it
and add some stuff for the game

anyways you app is awesome
Johnathon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 10:43
Please post how to use
Johnathon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 10:51
Please
H4ck1d
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2007 23:01
Read the tutorial

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 02:34 Edited at: 30th Mar 2007 02:35
The situation with WORLD is a complete mess at the moment. The fact that im moving house and that im not working on my desktop does not help.

I noticed that I forgot to include the help files in the latest version of WORLD (apologies to Johnathon for this). Since I dont have my desktop here, I cant upload them or continue work on WORLD V2.

As soon as I can get back on my desktop (I have no idea when), I will continue to work on WORLD V2. Since the start of february, I have made no prgress on it because of me moving house. Hopefully everything will be sorted out pretty soon. I just want you guys to know that this project isnt dead.

Finally, Im sorry for not keeping you up-to-date for over a month.

MartinS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2007 15:18
Hi,

Just downloaded, looks awesome. I was looking into buying 3D World Studio, but then some kind DBPro fellow showed me this. Only thing is: because I have already started working on my game (and gotten quite far as far as collision is concerned), it wouldn't be practical for me to use the 'import code'. Are there any plans for it to export to DBO? (the whole level, not the individual objects) And, if not, can you make plans for it?

Thanks,
Martin

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2007 20:57 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2007 20:58
I've started working on WORLD V2 again now. Just thought you should all know.

@Games 2 Live:
I hadn't planned for anything like you mentioned. But when I get some spare time, i'll give it a go.

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2007 00:12
@ DBking: Nice to know you are back into it! Good luck and no bugs or complications! I'm looking forward to hear of somekind of planed feature-list!

Hoozer

DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.3):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=93582&b=5
jormos2
Years of Service
User Offline
hi, good work
is perfect this world editor

one question

what version of ODE found?
of darkbasic pro 5.x, 6.2, 6.3???

PD:sorry for my bad english?
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2007 14:55 Edited at: 6th Apr 2007 16:43
@Hoozer:
Heres the planned (new/improved) features, as you requested:
Completely new prefab system - allows you to scan multiple folders for models, textures, sounds and so on
Intergrated Help system - allows you to get the help you need without having to open your internet browser to view the help files.
Improved light mapping support - Allow you to place more than just 'point' lights. You'll be able to place spot lights and be able to use Directional (sun) lighting in your world.
Terrain editing - Allowing you to create, edit and texture terrains.
Particle System - Allow you to place particle emmiters (from the particles/cloth expanison or Dark Physics) and see them run in real-time.
Basic Texturing - Tools that allow you to apply, scale and rotate textures.
Shader system - allow you to apply shaders to objects and see there effects, real-time.
Physics system - Allow you to use Newton Physics or Ageia PhysX in your world. You will be able to test your world by clicking a button which will turn on physics (allowing you to see everything moving) and turn off physics (re-placing all the objects back to where you placed them, before physics mode was turned on).
Multiple Object Selection - Allowing you to select more than one object at any one time (unlike the current version of WORLD)
3D/EAX Sound positioning - Allow you to place 3D sounds around your level. If you own the Enhancements Expansion pack, you may also want to use the EAX tools which will be built into WORLD. They will allow you to position 3D/EAX sounds, but apply/edit EAX settings on them (e.g. distance, reverb, environment, reflection, max/min distance, absorption, etc)

Theres also the extra little bits like, Resizable grid, new axis marker, object axis markers, different camera views (top view, front view, back view, left view, right view, bottom view, wireframe, textured, etc), grid snap.

Im also going to try and keep the Exported code simple. To load a world into your game, all you will be required to do is call INIT_WORLD(), then call LOAD_WORLD(filename$, file_number, start_object), then finally (if you want to run any shaders, physics, sounds that were placed/added to your world), call UPDATE_WORLD(). There will be extra functions to get data from world objects and edit it (from within your game),e.g:
WORLD_GET_NAME() - Returns the name of the world.
WORLD_GET_DESCRIPTION() - Returns the description you entered for the world.
WORLD_GET_OBJECT_COUNT() - Returns the number of objects (entities) controlled by WORLD functions.
WORLD_GET_ENTITY_NAME( entity_id ) - Returns the name given to the specified entity.
WORLD_GET_ENTITY_OBJECT( entity_id ) - Returns the object number of the specified entity.
WORLD_REMOVE_ENTITY( entity_id ) - Removes an entity from the program. Handy for removing objects
WORLD_LOAD_ENTITY( entity_name$ ) - Loads an entity using the specified name. It gets the model filename, texture name, physics data and applied shaders from the data that was loaded from a exported WORLD file. This is handy if you wish to respawn pickups and destroyed objects in your game.
WORLD_GET_SIZE_X() - Returns the X size of the world.
WORLD_GET_SIZE_Y() - Returns the Y size of the world.
WORLD_GET_SIZE_Z() - Returns the Z size of the world.

I will include plenty of tutorials with V2 which show you how to use everything in WORLD and most improtantly, show you how to use the exported game code efficiently in your game. The example projects will (hopefully) include a small FPS game, RTS game, and a simple project which basically shows you how to load a world. These are just a few of the examples projects i'll be including.

@jormos2:
Quote: "what version of ODE found?
of darkbasic pro 5.x, 6.2, 6.3???"

Do you mean what version of ODE will be used and what version of DarkBASIC pro WORLD will be compiled in?

EDIT:
Im going to update the website today and maybe post a bit of news on WORLD V2.

@Johnathon:
Sorry about the help files, I found out this morning that the latest version of WORLD (the one you downloaded) didn't include the help files.

Anyway, I've repacked V1.2 to include the help files. If you download it again, you should have them this time.

Chris Franklin_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2007 22:04 Edited at: 6th Apr 2007 22:12
nice work, primitives is a must though will definately be using.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2007 05:17
Hey what happend to exporting Sparkys Collision With your map?

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 00:06 Edited at: 8th Apr 2007 00:12
@ DBking: Thanks a lot for your feature-list! I hope the requested feature for special "user-object-data" is also planed (remember the requests somewhere in this thread?)! Some commands like the following might be useful in this case:

WORLD_GET_ENTITY_UserData( entity_name$, DataSet )
WORLD_SET_ENTITY_UserData( entity_name$, DataSet )
(DataSet: would be the arrayposition of the userdata-array, if an array is used!)

I'm sure you know what I mean, cause you are the clever man here!

Question:
1.) Do you plan to put some shaders into your editor that can be used for real-time shadows (=no precomputed lightmaps)? (If this would be possible, it would be a master-piece!)
2.) Earlier in this thread I suggested this, but you never told me, if it would be usefull in your eyes to give it a chance in your next version:

Quote: "Posted: 12th Dec 2006 14:21
"
I had an other (stupid?) idea!:

Lets say you model your buildings not with 3D-Max, instead you use primitives from your editor (boxes, etc.).
It would be helpful to have a switch which lets you disable parts of your model (for example the front wall or the roof etc.)! Then you could have a look "inside" the bulding and can place objects (furniture etc.) much more easier!

This maybe could be done like this:
Every object has an option (checkbox or something) that is responsible to show or hide it from the view! Also a "wireframe-mode" or "transparency-mode" might be usefull for this, if you just want to see through the object, but don't want to hide it completely! A grouping option would improve the handling (for example all parts from the roof can be toggled with one switch!)

(The following was the first idea about removing parts from the view, but seems not that good/easy to do to me!)
An other thing might be to have something like a clipping plane, that makes it possible to show the single floors/storeys of a building or all buildings on a map. That way you would have something like an overview of the floors from the buildings, it would make the design much more easier. If you have finished one floor you could set something like "next floor" and then continue with your building to place walls and other stuff. This would be most usefull, if you use the "top-view" to place items/objects. These objects would "snip"/level to the ground of that floor, so that there is no additional adjustment in hight needed, only if the user requests that (toggle "snip to ground" with a checkbox or so)!

I know this isn't "very usefull", but I'm someone who has strange ideas all the time!
"

Thanks a lot again and keep up your fantastic work!

Hoozer

Game pro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 05:36
This is the best world creator I have seen made by a user here in a long time, this motivates me to try and fix Dbpro on my computer.

I have nothing to say to the likes of you.
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 07:16
primitives, please! otherwise still looking awesome
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2007 11:35 Edited at: 8th Apr 2007 11:36
Thanks for the feedback. I'll write a complete feature list over the next couple of days. I've got to go through all the notes, ideas and features everybody has given me (which are saved all over the place on my pc).

@Chris Franklin:
Primitives will definatly be added. I just forgot to list them.

@darth Vader:
Sorry, I forgot to list it. Yes, you will be able to export sparky's collsion code.

@Hoozer:
I happen to have one of evolved's real-time shadow shaders I can use, but i'd have to find out how to optimize it because its a little slow. I do plan on adding it though.

@draknir:
Primitives will definatly be added. Since so many are requesting it.

Carsen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2007 00:52
Wow, this is really a nice tool and I am new to DBPro so it is quiet helpful....However I defiantly can't wait for the newer features! Keep up this great awesome work =)

Elddem The MMORPG - DarkBasic Pro Development
Game pro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2007 20:10 Edited at: 10th Apr 2007 20:12
Um, its not working for me, it starts up but the screen stays blank, and my computers loading light goes crazy. I have directx 9.0c so that isnt the problem. Does darkbasic pro have to be installed for this to work?

Suggestions:
Full screen mode (choose at startup of program)
User can choose resolution to start program in.

Thanx for the feedback!

[Edit] I mean response

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2007 19:43 Edited at: 11th Apr 2007 20:44
@Carsen:
Thanks.

@Game Pro:
Ive never heard about the screen going blank until now. Are sure its not the startup screen your looking at, where the screen is blank, but there is a 'File' menu and a 'help' menu avialable along the top of the screen?

If not, im not sure what the problem could be without looking into it. Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT:
I shouldn't really mention this (because I feel bad in doing so), but a few weeks back, a few people emailed me suggesting that I fix a 'Donate' button up on the website. Well... I've done just that.

Game pro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 05:38 Edited at: 12th Apr 2007 05:39
^ Nope, no file menu or help file. It makes some windows error box close up after I shut it down using ctrl, alt, del. I will try re-installing windows because I have to, to fix DBPRO anyways.

What is the system requirements for this program?

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2007 16:55
@Game Pro:
Quote: "system requirements for this program?"

I haven't really tested WORLD to see how it runs on my other computers apart from my desktop and laptop, but i'd say the required system specs would be something like:
1.3Ghz Intel Pentium Processor (or AMD equivilent)
256MB RAM (Recommended 512MB or more)
64MB Graphics Card (Recommended 128MB or more)
Windows XP Home or Professional Edition

until I get round to testing it, lets make this the system specification for now.

Quote: "will try re-installing windows because I have to, to fix DBPRO anyways. "

lets hope it fixes it.

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 20:31 Edited at: 14th Apr 2007 20:38
Heres a screenshot of how WORLD V2 is shaping up so far:

The green rings around some of the objects show that they are selected. The little lines in the center of the selected objects is the axis marker. The big green circle near the bottom right of the camera view is the new cursor, which also has axis markers attached to it.

The tree-view to the left of the screen is the prefabs. Using the new prefab preferences dialog box, you can tell WORLD to add other folders to the prefab search. Doing this is make a new folder appear in this tree-view.

The tree-view near the bottom right of the screen is the new 'object properties' section. This allows you to change the properties of any object(s) you have selected.

As you can see from the screenshot, you can now select as many objects as you like (as opposed to Version 1, which only allows the selection of single objects).

You may have also noticed that primitives are also on the prefab list. Primitives will always appear here, to give you easy access to them.

I know it's far from being complete, but at least you'll know progress is being made on version 2.

Looking forward to some feedback.

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 21:18
@ DBking: Looks nice so far!

1st. question: Do you plan to "show"/highlight the center of the coodinate-system (0,0,0)? (In most 3D-Editors (3DS-Max, Blender) the axis are a bigger, colored line (red=x, green=y, blue=z) and the center is where these lines meet each other.)

2nd.: Can you drag a selection-box around the objects (like on the desktop when selecting icons or in other editors selecting objects) OR do you select them piece by piece and holding an extra key (shift) (the other usual way to select more objects)?

3.rd: I don't know if you have that already planed or done, but is it possible to choose a color-value (r,g,b) for an object, if you don't want to texture them (or want to do that later)? (Maybe a color-selection-dialog-box? Or simple: three text-boxes to enter the values!)

The coursor is something new and I don't know if I like it! *g* Maybe I have to get used to it! (Normally there is only the mouse-arrow or a crosshair to do selections! In this new way it looks a bit like it belongs to the scene (at least in the screenshot)!)

Keep it up, I'm really excited to see more news/ideas from your editor!

Hoozer

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2007 21:44
@Hoozer:
Quote: "1st. question: Do you plan to "show"/highlight the center of the coodinate-system (0,0,0)? "

Yes, indeed I do.

Quote: "Can you drag a selection-box around the objects (like on the desktop when selecting icons or in other editors selecting objects) OR do you select them piece by piece and holding an extra key (shift) (the other usual way to select more objects)?"

At the moment you hold one of the shift keys down to select more than one object. Im also planning to add a selection-box too (which obviously makes selection a lot easier).

Quote: "I don't know if you have that already planed or done, but is it possible to choose a color-value (r,g,b) for an object, if you don't want to texture them (or want to do that later)? (Maybe a color-selection-dialog-box? Or simple: three text-boxes to enter the values!)"

I had thought about it, so yeah, I will add something like that. Thanks for reminding me.

Game pro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 00:17
Cant wait for V2, it looks good. When will it approximately be released?

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 05:46
Good work DBKing.

Cheers,

-db

Albert Einstein believed that imagination is more important than knowledge.
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 10:47
@game pro:
Quote: "Cant wait for V2, it looks good. "

Quote: "When will it approximately be released?"

Im not too sure on a release date yet. It's too early in development to give a proper release date. But still, I'd say it'll be about a month or so before it gets near to being complete.

@DB user 2006+:
Quote: "Good work DBKing."

Thanks.

Azrael
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 20:03
A free lightmapper!!
Yeah!

I haven't many tools, but now yours is a part of them..

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2007 23:04
looks awesome!
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 14:32
Hi DBking!
Like the new updates!
I've reformatted my computer, so after re-installing everything I wanted to mess around with WORLD 1.2, but it doesn't work! v0.9 works but it doesn't have the functionality I need! It come up with an error message saying "Cannot find missing dll" something like that anyway, anyway the first dll was MCFv71 or something and it belonged in the Windows\system folder. Do you have any idea what I might need to get it to run? Could it be SP2 (I run XP) I had that on my computer previously, but after the reformat I haven't but it back on!

MartinS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2007 18:58 Edited at: 19th Apr 2007 19:00
@Darth Vader
I had the same problem before. I'm assuming they are named MFC71.dll and msvcr71.dll? If so, go to your DBPro folder and go to it's subfolder "Compiler". The two dlls should be there. Just copy it to one of the locations it "cannot find" it in. Or if they aren't there just google 'em, driverfiles.net has them I think.

G2L

EDIT: typo

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2007 20:58
Sorry for not replying for a few weeks... it's just I havn't had as much time as I would liked to have had to work on WORLD.

Anyway, Im back at work on V2, again. At the moment, im just starting work on the physics system, which in my opinion is a pretty big job.

I'll keep you updated on my progress over the comming week.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 00:31:19
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 00:31:19