Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / WORLD V1.00 - Free World Builder For DBP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 14:12 Edited at: 20th May 2007 14:14
Sorry to double post but, I've been thinking about using scripts in WORLD for a while now and one of the ideas I came up with (and tested) was allowing WORLD to read importers/exporters which are scripted in LUA.

This would mean that you could write your own importer/exporter for WORLD and be able to import a world from another program (or your own world builder) or export your worlds using your own file format.

How does it sound?

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2007 20:45 Edited at: 20th May 2007 20:46
@ DBking: I'm sure some of us would like the option or the feeling that it is implemented and possible to use it, if it's needed!

In my case I'm not sure, if I would ever need it, but if I ever spend more time into DP and it's abilities and lern how to make more complicated things, it might be usefull!

I would call it a "nice-to-have-feature"!

I'm sure, if you ever can complete all of your ideas (the number of them seem to grow the longer the project takes) for the editor, it would be the "ultimate" editor, which nearly fullfills everyones dreams! (And if you really want to keep it "free", then it will surely be!)

Hoozer

AMD 64X2 4800+ (939); 2GB; GF 6800LE (@12PS, 6VS; 380 MHz, RAM: 434 MHz)
DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.3):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=93582&b=5
jeffhuys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 15:01 Edited at: 25th May 2007 15:03
Yes, is it possible for V1 to make a .x exporter, like dbking said, but then for V1, or a WORLD to .X converter? Because i have a newton world and since i can't do any physics on the WORLD level and i can so on .x. Please help me!

Jeff

You're the 'th to view this signature!
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 05:23 Edited at: 28th May 2007 06:20
i get an error
mfc71 dll not found

scratch that, it was because db wasn't installed on my desktop, so i am doing it on my laptop.

I have another question at the moment.

I don't know how this thing handles dx8 models, but i was playing around with your thing, I added my own model to the program, the mesh shows up with no problem, but the textures do not.

nothing wrong with the model, I referenced this model to dbpro and it shows up fine with all the textures.

I have milkshape, what format should I export my models for them to work in World 1.00

dont hate people who rip you off,cheat and get away with it, learn from them
Supremacy
Years of Service
User Offline
what did you use for the interface and lightmaps ? blue gui and the lightmap tgc's plug in ?
Supremacy
Years of Service
User Offline
my object toolbox doesnt shows, i cant do lightmaps, do you know whats the problem ?
Omen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 02:46 Edited at: 17th Jun 2007 02:47
DBKing,

I can't tell from looking at the v2.0 screenshots... Do you have object manipulation through the object axis in place already or not? Basically, this is just a system that allows you to translate/scale/rotate objects by grabbing 1 or more of the object axis as tools to do these functions.

If you already have this in place, excellent! I can't wait for 2.0!

If not, I developed some code awhile back that I'd be more than happy to donate to your project.

I've attached an editor I started many months ago that demonstrates the functionality. I never finished this editor because I switched over to using 3DWS and WORLD

Thanks again for all your hard work on this - great tool !

-Omen

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bass guy1669
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 07:12
i can't belive it! you have been here long enough to know DON'T BUMP THREADS THIS OLD!!!

come see night shift at http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=106003&b=25 see you there
Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 15:22
This is still a semi active thread that was only a little over three weeks old. I know that I keep an eye on it still for new information from the author.

Making nothing for the forth straight year.

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2007 02:41 Edited at: 18th Jun 2007 02:54
@ bass guy1669: There have been threads bumped much older than this! And this thread is still active, cause many of us watch it for news about the upcoming version!

I really don't know what your problem is! There is a period of time untill a thread is permanently closed, so why not responding to a still unclosed thread, reguardless how old it is???

With your responds to his "bump" (it was a clear question, not a real useless "bump") you also bumped this thread in some kind of way! (And I actually doing a "bump" by writing this, like every answer does!)

Your account is rather new (maybe you are an old member, but that doesn't matter), so you shouldn't be that critical to others here!

@ DBking: I really hope you are still working on Version-2 and getting closer to your "project-aims"!

If you haven't already, you may want ot have a look at EVOLVED's new "Deferred Shading"-Shader, which offers the possibility to use more than 8 ("realtime") lights and perform even better than the normal way (used in connection with "Parallax-Mapping" for example)! It might be usefull for your V2 (or maybe later for a V3?):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=107697&b=1

Hoozer

AMD 64X2 4800+ (939); 2GB; GF 6800LE (@12PS, 6VS; 380 MHz, RAM: 434 MHz)
DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.3):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=93582&b=5
Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 20th Jun 2007 14:45
@DB King
I'm still waiting for World V2 mate. Will love to see it when it's done. ^_^

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

-naota

FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
Great job.. i will use it
thanks for your efforts
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2007 13:12 Edited at: 18th Jul 2007 13:25
Yet again I forget to update my own thread . However, this time I've been working a lot of the physics side of WORLD. It's taking a while to implement the whole of Dark Physics as part of a world editor, although it is going rather well. Once the Dark Physics part is complete, I will start work on adding newton.

Unfortunatly I dont any screenshots yet. You wouldn't really be able to see physics truely in action unless I record a video. So when I get a chance, in a day or two, I'll capture some footage of physics in action, inside the editor.

@Omen:
Quote: "Do you have object manipulation through the object axis in place already or not? "

I dont, but I will do soon thanks to your excellent piece of code. I'll make sure your in the credits Omen. Thanks

@Hoozer:
Quote: "DBking: I really hope you are still working on Version-2 and getting closer to your "project-aims"! "

I am, but it's the physics part thats taking a bit to implement, since I have to make sure that all physics properties can be changed, but at the same time easy to find and understand. Haven't hit any brick walls with it yet though.

Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2007 15:26
@ DBking: Oh yes, the physics-implementation can eat up a lot of time, in any case if you try to make the whole properties available for many (/every?) feature to tweak them via the GUI! I really hope you manage that, cause it's a lot of work!

Have you had a look at EVOLVEDs "new" "Deferred Shading"-Shader (my last post on thread-page 4)?
I would like to know what do you think about it?
Is it usefull for your editor? (It might be a performance-eater in huge scenes or with many objects/lights!? On the other hand it would be a "hyper-feature" to be able to handle more than 8 (dynamic) lights in real-time within your editor!)

I hope you are lucky and allways find a whole in the "brick-walls" which might appear in the future! Take all the time you need to complete it, I'm sure the people around here would be happy to see such a powerfull editor!

Hoozer

AMD64X24800+(939);2GB;GF6800LE (@12PS, 6VS; 380 MHz, RAM: 434 MHz)
DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.4):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=109846&b=5&p=0
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2007 17:48
@Hoozer:
Quote: "Have you had a look at EVOLVEDs "new" "Deferred Shading"-Shader (my last post on thread-page 4)?"

I just had a look at it and it looked awesome!

I'll leave it out of WORLD for now though because liek you said, it's a performance eater. I got between 70 - 80 FPS. Imagine that on a level full of objects. However, i'll probably end up including it in a later version for those people who have super top-of-the-range pc's.

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 04:02 Edited at: 21st Jul 2007 04:09
Heres the videos as I promised:

The first Video shows the new prefab system in action.
Click Here to Download - 4.43MB

The second video shows off part of the new physics system.
Click Here to Download - 7MB

I recorded them at 15 FPS to keep the size down (but surprisingly it looks as though they still run smooth) . But, the resolution is 1024x768 and the quality is still max, so you can see everything at full size.

Attachments

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 20:25
Wow....How do you do it. Lookin' great, DBking.

Turoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2007 20:40
oh yeah, you got me impressed with those physics kinda editor options

I am awesome and always right.
Hoozer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2007 00:06 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2007 01:09
@ DBking: I see that you have done some pretty good work! I like the "prefab"-stuff where you specify a directory and the programm lists all the objects within it!
Also your physics-properties are very nice!

If the whole modeled world gets exported as DB-Pro-source-code it will surely improve the developement-process for the user! (No more (or less) hand-created things/properties (physics) or forgotten adjustments that bring up errors and waste time to search the error-source!)

EDIT: I just tested the LOD massive Terrain-Demo:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=110667&b=1
and I must say for terrain generation this system is also a very cool feature (if you can/are allowed to use it and have nothing else to do or nothing left to implement, it might be worth a thought)!

I really like watching the progress of this project!
You do some really impressive work and I'm sure the finished product will earn you a lot of respect!

Hoozer

AMD64X24800+(939);2GB;GF6800LE (@12PS, 6VS; 380 MHz, RAM: 434 MHz)
DP-Sw-Mode-Comp-Entry (updated to V. 1.4):
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=109846&b=5&p=0
Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2007 14:14 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2007 14:23
@Inspire:
Quote: "Wow....How do you do it. "

DBP?

Quote: "Lookin' great, DBking."

Thanks.

@Turoid:
Quote: "oh yeah, you got me impressed with those physics kinda editor options "

Thats only the start of it. Theres loads more to be done to the physics engine yet (placement/connection of joints, ragdolls, vehicles, etc).

@Hoozer:
Thanks for comments.

Quote: "If the whole modeled world gets exported as DB-Pro-source-code"

Yeah, it'll still be exporting DBA code. But this time round, it'll only be exporting what you need, and not just a huge DBA source with confusing junk in it. You'll also have the option to export what you want in the code (e.g. your world uses physics, but you want to export code without the physics, just to see how it looks in DBP).

That massive terrain demo does seem pretty useful. Im gonna see if I can use this in WORLD. I was hoping to get the terrain system in after all the physics have been completed. So, I might as well collect resources ready.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2007 02:13
This looks amazing
I only have DBC though :-(

I am king of the noobs!
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Love the videos! Looks like a nice system you've got going here. I can't say I'm not envious of how far into the editor you are when I look at my feeble excuse for an editor

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 02:17 Edited at: 25th Jul 2007 02:38
Im still making progress on adding physics to WORLD. I've actually been having fun doing it too. I've almost finished support for materials, so adding support for placing, connecting and modifying joints will be next.

@OBese87:
Quote: "I only have DBC though :-("

Dont worry.
It'll still support .X files and i'll be sure to put an option on the editor for exporting code thats only compatable with DBC, so people like you can still use it.

@Agent Dink:
Quote: "I can't say I'm not envious of how far into the editor you are when I look at my feeble excuse for an editor "

Well, all i can say is WORLD started out as a "feeble excuse for an editor".

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2007 02:29
For last couple of days i've been planning out how scripts can be used in WORLD. I come to the decision to use LUA which from my point of view is pretty easy to understand and write scripts for.

Suport for LUA scripts would open the possibility to:
Change the layout of the GUI, which would allow you to completely customize the editor to fit the needs of your own game.
Write your own exporters/importers to allow you to export worlds in your own custom format
Write scripts that can automatically load and place several objects in one click (e.g. a script that would load a barrel model, instance it, then rotate and position to create a barrel stack). I thought about calling them BuildScripts, since they help build your world.

And thats about it really. This is going to take some time to implement, since it involves recoding parts of WORLD I already have done. But, its not too much of a problem.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2007 02:49
Wow, that is going to be sick.

Syncaidius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2007 17:06 Edited at: 24th Mar 2009 12:25
Sooo, Heres what a 'BuildScript' (written in LUA) could look like for loading, instancing and positioning a barrel to form a stack of barrels:

So those to functions would take the following perameters:

Obviously there would be a lot more you can do that just load, instance an position a few objects. That was just an example of how a BuildScript might be written. You would be able to do other things like apply physics to objects depending on certain settings in WORLD, access properties of selected objects and so on.

Then theres the more advanced things that could be done with a 'BuildScript', such as creating objects and textures through the use of memblocks, or manipulating a group of objects (using memblocks or the vertex manipulation commands) that have been selected using the cursor.

This is only the start of how the scripting system could turn out, so not even I can tell at this point, how much it will do when it is finished (because I do things the 'add stuff as I go along' way ).

Anyway, thats the basics. Im still waiting for my Unity LUA purchase to be approved (and I am aware of Barnski's LUA plugin, but it doesnt have some of things I need), so until then I cant really do much else apart from continue planning how the scripts will function in WORLD. I'll update when I have something decent to show.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 02:52
Can't wait to try it out.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2007 07:24
Scripting in this engine is going to make this the best FREE editor! In fact I'm using WORLD 1 at the moment to make a couple of different maps for a small arena type game! I can't wait for this cause it will also let me learn a little scripting!

Keep up the good work!

feiting shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a quickie, unsure if it's been requested or not. When you name objects, you can't give 2 the same name. I'd like to say "enemy" and have a type to define, for use with a game engine. The AI handling would be more easily coded if I don't have to say "if object is enemy1 OR enemy2 OR ..."

Then again, if LEFT$(objecttype.string(4))="enemy" would work... lol. Up to you, just a request.

Thanks. (I would like to donate but paypal's verification code doesn't work and I locked myself out, any other way I can donate to this effort? ShareIt is a good place to start too.)

Steven

LLRGT omglol
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2007 02:30 Edited at: 14th Aug 2007 02:36
OMG a LUA system would rock, it would mean your software use won't just be limited to DBP and also we could test out the level without recompiling. We need a TEST EXE button that we can link to our exe file

LUA will also rock because you can build waypoints, portals and AI systems in it. Would be nice if we could associate a script with an object then it comes alive when the exe runs. Or place a portal script so you leave one map and enter another.

I was playing around with v1 and got a couple of questions.

How do i rotate the view to see behind stuff?
How do I get a day light setting? I tried to make a sun from a light but the distance wont reach all the map.

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2007 05:57
Quote: "How do i rotate the view to see behind stuff?"

Hold down the middle mouse button and spin the mouse!

I'm actually having a few problems with WORLD at the moment for some reason my levels won't load and run keeps coming up with a file does not exist error.

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2007 06:09 Edited at: 14th Aug 2007 17:40
Hmmm, no middle button on my laptop

I'll try holding doen both buttons, after all 1+2 = 3

[Buttons 1+2 = 3 does work but gota get your timing just perfect]

Daylight shading has been solved using the ambient occlusion option

Very nice, just wish I could place the objects on an advance terrain and shade to that. Not sure if it's possible though.

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2007 04:10
Is it possible to import my .dbo files into world and work on them there?

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 00:42
it's not a model editor it's a world builder.

If you want to edit models for free try something like DeleD Lite or Blender (very hard to learn)

Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 02:54
Quote: "it's not a model editor it's a world builder."

fair enough.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 09:53
Hey DBKing I'm having a little problem with World V1.2 at the moment and I don't know what could be causing it! Every time I try to compile the code or run the .exe it keeps saying "File does not exist at line 127." I'm assuming it has to do with your include file as my code isn't 127 lines long!

Anyway attached is a zip file of the whole folder maybe you could take a look at it?
Thanks!

Attachments

Burnman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2007 01:32
Definitely keeping my eyes open for v2!
03apples
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2007 22:04 Edited at: 16th Sep 2007 22:25
i am sooo excited about the v2 and the physics involved with it; and by the way, does light mapping work with alpha mapped objects, because when i try to lightmap with alpha maps turned on for an object it gives me an error and forces me to close world?

P.S.: do u hav any idea when v2 might get finished?
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 20:16 Edited at: 25th Jan 2008 19:43
Wow! excellent work DBKing! And when will V2 be finnished

Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2007 02:14
Too bad quality modeling and texturing can't be as easy as level building. It's a nightmare trying to do detailed mesh models, and texturing them in software like Blender and Milkshape even after you've 'mastered' the software interface.
Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 03:15
I was wondering if someone could explain to me the differences/advantages/disadvantages of using the "instance object" vs "Clone object" any info would be helpful as im KINDA CONFUSED!
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2007 11:44 Edited at: 25th Jan 2008 19:43
ive found this in the dbpro help files
Quote: "This command will create an instance copy of the object. Unlike CLONE OBJECT, this instance will share most of the original objects data and be dependent on the original object
remaining in existence to hold such data. Instanced objects do have the ability to hide/show both their limbs and hide/show the object, independent of the original object. This
command is ideally suited to copying large numbers of primarily static objects such as trees and rocks where the original model data is to remaing largely unchanged."
I hope it helps

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 17:39
I have a question my friend is going to use this World v1.00 to make levels for our game. How do you save anything using World Builder? All the best, Beastegargoyle

Streets of Rage the best 3d beat em up ever check out the wip on apollo forums!
Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 19:15
It comes with help documents.

Image made by the overworked Biggadd.
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 19:31
Yeah my friend was trying to tell me it wouldn't let him save the level. He said it was a Demo creator and i'm trying to convince him u can save in it but I forget how to also. Laters, Beastegargoyle

Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 19:51 Edited at: 25th Jan 2008 19:51
Here is a pic:

Image made by the overworked Biggadd.

Attachments

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 19:49
@DBking- I have a question about World? I have a desert land mass and it has like side walls to it and I want to cut a hole in the side of it for the character to walk through over to the next land segment. Would I use wings 3d to edit the model and put an opening or can World make a hole in a land mass? All the best, Beastegargoyle

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 04:59 Edited at: 24th Feb 2008 00:44
Hi,
I was looking to acquire a talented and professioal world builder(level designer) for my commercial game( it will be a paid position). The game is a 3d action/adventeur hack n slash game. The levels will be about the size of gauntlet seven sorrows or the LOTR game the Two Towers in length. If you are interested or a have any questions please email me or reply here.
Edit: Here is my threads Wip url http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124414&b=19
@Dbking- sorry to of highjacked your thread for a post but I wanted to use your great level builder( as was hoping to find someone fluent with using it) for my game and wasn't getting no replies in the 3dws forum.
All the best, Beastegargoyle

The Last Great Swordsmen Wip here http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124414&b=19
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2008 19:56
Bump..

Is there a version 2 in the works?

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2008 22:56
Looks good!

Login to post a reply