Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / BlitzTerrain

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2013 00:22
Quote: "Can you please provide us such a shader confirming to Shader Model 2.0 that will give us texture splatting capabilities up to 16 layers
of textures ?"

lol Gimmee teh coadez!!!

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2013 00:29 Edited at: 9th Aug 2013 00:31
2000 posts!!!

Quote: "Can you please provide us such a shader confirming to Shader Model 2.0 that will give us texture splatting capabilities up to 16 layers
of textures ?"

Its not possible to create one that supports up to 16 textures as you can only use up to 8 textures at a time. There could be a way around this by changing the terrain engine internally (which I hope to do for BT3). If you don't mind having less, there are loads of shaders to do this elsewhere on the forum that can do this. I hope to add multitexturing natively in BT3.

Quote: "If a placement editor is a lot of work, can you please provide us
a function which takes an image file, a color code in hex and an object id or sprite/billboard and place the object or sprite / textures on the terrain surface at locations specified in the image file using passed in color value. ?"

That feature already exists. Have a look at the environment mapping example

Quote: "What is the minimum hardware requirement - processor and gpu for smooth working of BT ? Will it work on on-board graphics ? "

Minimum hardware requirements really depend on the terrain and the detail level required. For regular sized terrains, you would need somewhere around 10MB - 500MB or RAM to spare (this varies massively based on the terrains size). As BT is single threaded, a faster CPU is better than a multi core one. And it runs well on on board graphics

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "Can you please provide us such a shader confirming to Shader Model 2.0 that will give us texture splatting capabilities up to 16 layers
of textures ?"

Its not possible to create one that supports up to 16 textures as you can only use up to 8 textures at a time. There could be a way around this by changing the terrain engine internally (which I hope to do for BT3). If you don't mind having less, there are loads of shaders to do this elsewhere on the forum that can do this. I hope to add multitexturing natively in BT3."

I will look forward to BT3. For BT2 8 texture layer splatting shader
confirming to shader model 2.0 will do fine for me. Can anybody please point me to one ?

Can you please give us a hint on the price for BT 3 ?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 9th Aug 2013 00:55 Edited at: 9th Aug 2013 00:56
Can you create 64bit libraries as well? I am working on all three platforms now... ARM x86 x64 would be nice to expand BT3 into my non TGC products... happy to pay a little more for such a capability...

EDIT

And of course ARM compatibility would be very nice too I would love to use a splash screen for BT3

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "If a placement editor is a lot of work, can you please provide us
a function which takes an image file, a color code in hex and an object id or sprite/billboard and place the object or sprite / textures on the terrain surface at locations specified in the image file using passed in color value. ?"

Take a look a few posts back at the code I posted. It does exactly this. with very little alteration it can be made to only clone one object, but at the moment it is best used by having a folder full of eg. foliage models, this will load an imagemap and scatter the random models on the terrain in random locations dictated by the color of the trigger pixel."

Thank you Kezzla for the code.

Can you please point me to a texture splatting shader that can be used on BT2.X ?
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2013 23:11 Edited at: 9th Aug 2013 23:43
Wow, welcome to technical support indeed.

2000 posts must be the record for a WIP

Arbrakan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 21:00
Quote: "I will also look into the possibility of streaming from a web server, I think this would be great for online games! "

This will be awesome !
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2013 00:16
Quote: "I will also look into the possibility of streaming from a web server, I think this would be great for online games! "

Something like this wouldn't belong in a terrain system.

Better to leave something like that to the online game developer to work out on their own and implement in the game's server application.

Just my opinion, having written a few client/server apps with DBPro.
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2013 02:42 Edited at: 13th Aug 2013 02:48
kaedroho: There is a function in BT2 to draw on the terrain surface. Can I use a image and paint it on the BT2 surface at places of my choice using code at runtime ?

Quote: "

of textures ?"

Its not possible to create one that supports up to 16 textures as you can only use up to 8 textures at a time. There could be a way around this by changing the terrain engine internally (which I hope to do for BT3). If you don't mind having less, there are loads of shaders to do this elsewhere on the forum that can do this. I hope to add multitexturing natively in BT3."

Can you please point me to some ? I haven't been able to find ....
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 21:55
Just a quick update...

Recently I've been restructuring the engine. One of the main reasons for this is to implement regions for terrain streaming

I've had to cut out a few other features such as terrain modification, due to the fact that they are not compatible with the new structure and would require rewriting. I hope to integrate the terrain modification system in to the core plugin anyway (currently its in a separate plugin).

Currently, nearly 9000 lines have been cut out (of about 14000). There will be lots of rebuilding after the restructure but I hope to keep the line count as low as I can (less code == less problems)

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2013 02:14
Makes me wish there was a LIKE button.
Flamertor
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, does anyone know how to do a path using textures?

Thanks
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2013 07:45
There is a trick using ray casting to check for texture name...

Flamertor
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, how would I go about doing that
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2013 12:56
@ Kaedroho,

Just wondering how BT3 is coming along?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 00:47
How is BT3 coming along? It looks like I have reached my terrain milestone; so I will have to use BT2 as the main terrain plugin in my engine; I will buy them both anyway, there is always some good job for an old tool. I will buy the full version of BT2 at the end of the month.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2013 10:34
@ Kaedroho,

Panic attack! Please say that BT3 is still in prospect!

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2013 10:34
@ Kaedroho,

Panic attack! Please say that BT3 is still in prospect?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 14:04
Hmf. I did NOT know there was a BT3 being worked on. I just hope it still actually IS being worked on. Sounds really awesome Always been a big admirer of BlitzTerrain

Btw, I am strongly against a full name change for BT. BlitzTerrain Next sounds good. Just don't get rid of the BlitzTerrain bit or people will not realise the connection.

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2013 14:43
Hello! I'm having a weird issue where my program locks up and it says "Program not responding" when I try and sync after generating a terrain from a heightmap.

I'm using manual updates, but the same thing happens when I do autorender, too.

Anyone else have this? Or is it just something going for me?

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2013 14:34
In case anyone's curious, I found the issue my garbage collection was wiping the physical terrain object without removing the terrain data.

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2013 19:15
@CumQuaT

glad you found the problem

it defiantly shows that no matter how why try
a bug still shows up ;oP

to move side ways - is to move forward
Since a Strait line gets thin fast
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2014 18:54
@ Kaedroho,

Say it ain't so - are you still working on this... (BT3) ?

Arbrakan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2014 22:59
hope so, I'am waiting on this too..

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 21:00
Kaedroho, Kaedroho, come back, come back........

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 18:23
i'm trying to add in a terrain to an example i found

i made a 2024 x 2024 image set

but when i run the example with the new size i get the following error

"BT Error: Sectors too big. increase split"
" Funtion BT BuildTerrain"

iv'e tried to fix but have had no luck

can some one tell me what i am not understanding ?

i know it's some thing simple

the example is attached

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2014 10:30
Quote: "Kaedroho, Kaedroho, come back, come back........"

Indeed!

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 00:55
Quote: ""BT Error: Sectors too big. increase split"
" Funtion BT BuildTerrain""

Call BT Set Terrain Split with a higher number...

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 22:13 Edited at: 4th Apr 2014 22:14
Hey Everyone,

Apologies for keeping on disappearing! My course finishes soon so I should get some of my time back...

I've had some thoughts about the file format. I've decided that BT3 should support a format based on SQLite.

The advantage of using SQLite is that we can divide a terrain up into regions and store them all in a single file. SQLite will allow us to load certian regions at a time, allowing streaming to be implemented.

This also means that we can support multiple layers in a single file, so storing heightmap, texture, exclusion and environment in the same file will be possible.

I would like to support adding entities into the terrain file so you can mark the locations of trees/buildings/etc on your terrain. SQLite makes this easy to do too.

SQLite is also very fast!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 22:28
Welcome back, I just completed the install guide for BT2 ^^, any idea for an update to BT [BT3 that is] 6 months? 8 months? other?

I recall debate over cost and current owners of BT, umm what had been decided over this matter? a discount or inclusive [free] update?

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 22:48
Hi MrValentine,

Thanks, its great to be back!

As you know, I don't have a good history of keeping promises of when BT3 will be released! (and I really apologise for that...)

I can't say for certian when BT3 will be out. I will get DLLs out as soon as something is working so people can try it out and give me some feedback on the API. I hope this will be done within a few months of be finishing my course (which is in June). I honestly haven't got a clue when the final thing will be released though.

I'm planning on releasing BT3 as a free update for everyone who already owns BT2.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 23:18
Considering the announcement was November 2012 ^^

Awesome, thanks!

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2014 02:06
Now, to be fair, I have gone down to the very nice local pub and had some superlative beer. Am I imagining this? Is Kaedroho back on this forum? Has he just posted he is developing BT3? With SQLITE3?

It's the last bit that really makes me think this is unreal..

[edit - as I sober up - it WAS 6 pints, and that included a strong IPA]

@ Kaedroho,

Seriously man, welcome back! It would be fantastic if you could use SQLITE as a vehicle (and knowing you, you will develop a SQLITE3 plugin which will slap mine back in to the stone age) but check it has the speed you, specifically, tend to require...

Also, check out that DX11 plugin on the forums...

More strength to your arm.... (and welcome back again!)

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2014 02:07 Edited at: 5th Apr 2014 02:19
Now, to be fair, I have gone down to the very nice local pub and had some superlative beer. Am I imagining this? Is Kaedroho back on this forum? Has he just posted he is developing BT3? With SQLITE3?

It\'s the last bit that really makes me think this is unreal..

[edit - as I sober up - it WAS 6 pints, and that included a strong IPA]

@ Kaedroho,

Seriously man, welcome back! It would be fantastic if you could use SQLITE as a vehicle (and knowing you, you will develop a SQLITE3 plugin which will slap mine back in to the stone age) but check it has the speed you, specifically, tend to require...

Also, check out that DX11 plugin on the forums...

More strength to your arm.... (and welcome back again!)

[edit]

People won't thank me for this, but don't be so hasty with that free/gratis theme. See AppGameKit and, critically, AGK2. I just float the idea to you. A cross-platform BT3 plugin for AGK2 coupled with (I hope and pray) a SQLITE tier 1 plugin for AGK2 and you have a BIG seller.

Speaking personally, I really wish I had developed my SQLITE3 plugin a year or two ago and charged for it (personally, I think it knocks DarkData in to that same stone age) - rather than post it for free - although I understand the ethos in sending it out free too... (as I did).

I just think a BT3-esque AGK2 plugin would sell for a premium for a huge market when coupled also with a supporting SQLITE3 plugin...

[it's probably that IPA high-strength beer talking...]

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2014 20:11
a lot of games are becoming more data driven and "DarkData" had a
start towards that but efficient is the name of the game with large
data drive games

Sqlite3 will be a big help to building land and even placing object
on such

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2014 01:59
Quote: "I can't say for certian when BT3 will be out."

Seriously?! You're actually still working on this?? (That's a good thing, btw) Wow! The announcement was Nov '12! No one keeps a project going after that much silence! Now I really want to buy Blitz just to support you now

UnknownPK
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 10th Apr 2014 15:09
blitz terrain I love it I WILL be buying it the full version when I get some cash thanks for the free version love it
UnknownPK
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 10th Apr 2014 15:10
blitz terrain I love it I WILL be buying it the full version when I get some cash thanks for the free version love it
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2014 09:32
Hmm, now... Do I hold my breath for BT3, or do I roll up my sleeves and investigate BT2? So many tough choices!

Help build an online DarkBASIC Professional help archive.
DarkBasic Help Wikia
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 11:06
Quote: "Hmm, now... Do I hold my breath for BT3, or do I roll up my sleeves and investigate BT2? So many tough choices!"

You'll likely pass out before BT3; BT2 is an excellent product that I have used many times, and is well worth the money (even though I never actually bought it because I never had the money).

PeteyM5
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 08:47
I purchase BlitzTerrain last year. If I re-position the whole terrain, it seems not to update the positions for BT GetGroundHeight. Is there a independent set terrain position for BlitzTerrain?
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2014 09:27
Quote: "If I re-position the whole terrain, it seems not to update the positions for BT GetGroundHeight"

No, I don't think it does, and I don't think it's meant to. You just offset the positions for BT GetGroundHeight by the current position of the terrain.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2014 23:30
@ Kaedroho,

Howzit going?

GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2014 02:16
Looking into a new terrain system, How do I create the images needed for it. Is there a editor I can use, Or something?

.:: Http://DeanWorks.Ca ::.
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2014 06:24
There are lots of heightmap terrain editors. Try googling "3d terrain editor".

GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2014 17:29 Edited at: 6th Sep 2014 17:30
Thanks "Clonkex"

GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2014 00:51 Edited at: 7th Sep 2014 00:52
Thank you for the help, Got Blitz, Working no problem.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2014 01:55
How do you position the terrains?

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2014 02:07
@GreenDixy

try "L3DT"

works very well ;o)

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2014 07:31
Quote: "Thank you for the help, Got Blitz, Working no problem."

Awesome, glad you got it sorted

Quote: "try "L3DT"

works very well ;o)"

I'd agree with that

Quote: "How do you position the terrains?"

I think it's BT SetTerrainPosition or BT PositionTerrain, but weirdly I can't find the command in the help files or the keywords file

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 23:13:38
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 23:13:38