Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / World Off Road

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 08:28
really you're going to rewrite WOR? insane effort!

[img][/img]
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 09:46
@ Ermes
xD I don't know where you guys got the idea I'm rewriting WOR.

The WOR engine is basically fine (there are a few little things I could add) but I'm just redoing the media.

This means, I'll be making a whole new set of cars, making low-detail versions of them all, remodelling all the props for the maps and re-making the maps.

Then when WOR is at a stable point again, Deathead and The Slayer will step in to remodel it all better than I could but based on my designs.

But for the time being, I have streptococcal pharyngitis and possibly the flu on top of it. So it's been as much as I can muster to do my work for uni, let alone Soharix.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 10:53
i think redo the media, remodel maps, make new set of cars, it's about rewrite wor.

my advice is to finish wor with what you have, and what you have isn't bad, it's very good!

then, if your feeling are still the same, remodel maps, make new cars, and publish a 2.0 version. or a "WOR PLUS" edition.

[img][/img]
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 12:15
@ Ermes
Quote: "i think redo the media, remodel maps, make new set of cars, it's about rewrite wor."
does not compute.

What WOR had was horribly inconsistent and looked ugly.

I'm not going to just finish some shoddy version for the sake of releasing something, I'd rather get it right first time.

There's no sense finishing something knowing full well you're going to hate it as soon as it's done.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2010 13:30
well,

[img][/img]
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2010 02:27
Woh, 66mb! I can't download at the moment so will probably wait until 0.18 is released.

I was fiddling around with Newton and finally got the vehicle wrapper working! So if you like, I can give you the code and all the help you will need for it. Just so you can have real vehicles. With suspension, steering (the tires turn too), braking, reversing, and when you reverse while still going forwards you don't turn the other way until you are actually going backwards!

Just ask and I'll give you the code.

Clonkex

Making games is easy.....finishing them is a different matter.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT 512mb, 1gb ram.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2010 02:59
@ Clonkex
You'll be waiting a while for v0.18 - v0.17 is up for people to play while they're waiting.

Also, using Newton would require a rewrite and I'm not prepared to do that at this stage. WOR has already been dragging on for over half a year due to setbacks. v0.18 is supposed to be the last major change before we start heading towards the finish line.

Yeah you could probably justify that it won't be as good as it could be if we did that but you could say the same about Doom1 - it's not as good as Doom2 because they did more, but they had to release Doom1 at some point, so they drew themselves a finish line and stuck to it - just as I'm doing with WOR.

I do actually intend to be a game designer rather than working on 1 project my entire life. We're trying to get a revised version of Recre John out and all looking to move onto working on Souquel. So WORs being wrapped up as soon as possible; thanks for the offer though, maybe if we ever make a World On Road, I'll go hunt down the Newton code.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 02:04 Edited at: 7th Dec 2010 02:05
I like all of your games (especially Soup), and this seems like it will be pretty cool cowbox! What month or similar, general time period you think the whole game will be complete??

Behold the new marble game coming soon: [href"http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=178472&b=8&p=0"]Marbsticle Course [/href]
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 02:47
@ Dark basic dude79
Well that's a very good question.

I'd like to have released it by now. - But we've had setbacks.
I'd like to release it in the next month or 2. - But exams, xmas, work and driving lessons are likely to get in the way.
I envisage it will be released by summer 2011 at the extreme latest but have a feeling it'll be maybe February/March/April before I get close to thinking about releasing it.

Hang tight though because after WORs done, we should be moving onto Souquel. (Soup's sequel ) (Unless I have a huge change of heart suddenly.)

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 04:40 Edited at: 7th Dec 2010 04:41
Totally awesome! Im excited for Souquel, ive already won soup like 20 times but i play it over and over just for fun. I like how the dude looks! i havent downloaded wor yet cuase it's a bit big and i havent had time YET

edit:
id imagine souquel would come out summer 2011 then?

Behold the new marble game coming soon: [href"http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=178472&b=8&p=0"]Marbsticle Course [/href]
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 04:54
I really have no idea when Souquel might come out. I'm willing to spend a long time on it at this stage if I have to because I have no idea how big I want it to be yet.

All we've got on it so far is an introduction sequence storyboard type plan and 1 of the scenes for the introduction sequence modelled. The rest is all locked up in my noddle for tweaking and touching up when I think of new things or think some things are bad ideas.

What I can say is that it will be first person, be in a larger universe (i.e. larger/longer/more complex game) and it'll have other Geoms in it, rather than just wandering around on your own.

But for now, I have to model lots of cars and models for WOR.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2010 06:17 Edited at: 8th Dec 2010 00:24
great!!! wish you the best of luck!!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 03:29
ok, so i downloaded wor, and when the game loaded, the app crashed and went to the nvidia website---im guessing because i have intel graphics

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 03:35
@ Dark basic dude79
It'll probably do that because you don't have the nVidia PhysX drivers installed. You should just be able to update your graphics card/chip drivers and it'll come with the PhysX drivers you need.

Although if you're on a graphics chip not a card you probably shouldn't be playing WOR in its current state as there are limited options for lower specification computers and everything in v0.17 is very high poly. - This is one of the reasons I'm doing a media overhaul for v0.18 because you can press ` ingame and type graph then press enter and you'll see the triangle count is at like 270,000+ on some maps/with some cars.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 04:18
I see. I have an hp pavilion dv6 with intel chips as well, and they actually run most games quite well. but yah, graphics options are important especially on World Off Road

Behold the new marble game coming soon: Marbsticle Course > > >http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=178472&b=8&p=0 coming January to February 2011
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 05:11 Edited at: 8th Dec 2010 05:14
What you can do is go into User\Options.cfg and set some of the variables to lower things so as to give your computer a better chance of being able to run it properly. (These things will be able to be changed via the options menu later but are implemented already for occasions such as this.)

Try changing:
512 | Water shader detail to 128 | Water shader detail
1 | Shadow detail to 0 | Shadow detail
200 | LOD range to 100 | LOD range
then it might run a little better but no promises.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 05:31
Thanks but i looked through all of the files but cant find it... Im the dude that's helpless, it seems, xD

Behold the new marble game coming soon: Marbsticle Course > > >http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=178472&b=8&p=0 coming January to February 2011
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 06:37
If it's not in the folder called User (next to World Off Road.exe) then you need to run WOR successfully at least once to allow it to write the file User\Options.cfg.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2010 23:55
I see... Well i might just have to wait for the final version. will that be an exe and zipped instead of rar?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2010 01:09 Edited at: 9th Dec 2010 01:10
I'll probably make the final version available in 3 formats: installer, .zip, .rar.

It's just for the moment while it's in WIP, .rar is smallest and I don't have time/space to upload it twice in both formats for each version.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2010 01:31
well rartastic now, ziptastic later, keep up the cool work

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2010 04:08
you know i was thinking if you wanted to you could send me a copy of a config file to use. i cant run it successfully, any time i try to use it it crashes and take me to nividia... or better yet include it in a download or somethin' thanks

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2010 04:33
The reason it's crashing is because you don't have the PhysX drivers, it's nothing to do with the config file.

You need to get the drivers before you can run the program. - Only then can you decide whether you need to improve performance by tweaking the config file.

It'll be created as soon as you run World Off Road successfully for the first time.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2010 19:42 Edited at: 10th Dec 2010 19:44
I was searching Google the other day for Soharix and came across this:
http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=wgM4OOgpZnE&start1=0&video2=yv7hhYIjcOA&start2=0&authorName=LOLO - (Contains mild screaming and shouting with 2 strong languages)
I laughed quite a bit just because the car was going so slowly. xD - Thankfully WOR is a bit faster paced now.

Anyway, it's related to the early versions of WOR so I thought I'd give you all something to lol at too.

Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2010 19:56
I can't wait for your new game. It looks amazing so far. I loved Soup.

yrotate when you can spin?
God Bless!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2010 08:32 Edited at: 11th Dec 2010 08:42
I see xD Now this is a bit off topic, but could help you w/ your timer based movement issues. what i use and it seems to work awesomely(same movement amounts through ALL computers ive tried, even very old ones) i just use the following code:

then you can multiply that by the amount you want the object to move. if you want the object to move 60 units per second, then the 60 divided by 60 fps will be 1, and thus 60 units per second, or 60 divided be 30 fps is 2, for 2 movements per loop, and so on

the first statement is to keep it from dividing by zero.

Stab in the Dark software
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Badges, I don't need no stinkin badges
Posted: 11th Dec 2010 16:53
We tried running your demo and got the following error?

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Custom,intel 3.0GHz Hyper Threaded,4GB RAM,ATI X1500 256mb,
WindowsXP DBpro v7.5 Synergy
The coffee is lovely dark and deep,and I have code to write before I sleep.
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2010 20:53
!

Ok I'm going to have to take a look at this stupid inclusion of media thing for DBP .exes because I thought I solved that problem. xD

Quickfix: Make Blankbillboardad.png in a folder called Extra data next to the .exe and it'll work fine.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2010 21:48
oh did ya see mai timer based movement thingy majig?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2010 22:51
Um, isn't that this the wrong place for a post like that?

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2010 01:06 Edited at: 12th Dec 2010 01:24
Well, i did say it was off topic, but i thought that would be ok because you have always said you wont implement anything like that until it's proven to you that it would work... it seems that when i play your games, especially mamo(nice game btw), it lags sometimes. and i thought you could benefit from it; so what do ya think of it?? xD

But yah, i put it here cause it's directed towards you so your games can benefit

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2010 01:23 Edited at: 12th Dec 2010 05:08
I apologise, I didn't even see the timer based movement example a few posts back. I swear you edited that in after I looked at what was originally there and I went on to look at Stab in the Dark software's post. xD

Anyway:
It's also not timer based movement I have a problem with, that's now like the hundredth example I've seen, and it's cool, don't worry.

But the issue is that when using screen fps() for a start, it only records it every second or so, so for some frames (where it can be a lower framerate) it can be lower and can still lag, and will then catch itself back up but might have changed again.

As well as this, have you ever tried implementing an input command into the main game loop with timer based movement? - Well we have, back in 2008 and it wasn't pretty.

You're probably aware all Soharix applications use the console key and various commands to do things. - This functionality isn't taken out in our released applications (like Soup).

Now, if you use an input command and timer based movement, for 99% of a second after you press enter on that input command, your game engine thinks the framerate is 0, so it starts making huge compromises for movement speed due to the previous lag issues with screen fps(). This results in you being able to move at ridiculous speeds straight after pressing the console key and enter (it allowed you to walk through walls back in Vision I seem to remember).

The problem with this is that in a released application people will exploit it and use it to break the game or spoil gameplay in multiplayer games like WOR.

For this reason I made a ban back then on any Soharix applications using timer based movement and we've stuck to it ever since and just gone by the phrase that: "If the end user's computer can't run it at 66FPS or higher, it either shouldn't be trying, or the game is too processor hungry" and we look for a solution.

Now in WOR's case, it was designed to be fairly high end with lots of polygons and effects and such. - We are working to reduce this for v0.18 by remodelling all the cars and making LOD versions for multiplayer but at the end of the day if someone's computer simply can't handle our games at their intended framerate, there is nothing I can do. - And to do so would spoil the gameplay for those who can run it at the intended framerate.

I hope this clears up any future issues with TBM and Soharix applications as well.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2010 04:46
I see, now

Quote: "Now, if you use an input command and timer based movement, for 0.999% of a second after you press enter on that input command, your game engine thinks the framerate is 0, so it starts making huge compromises for movement speed due to the previous lag issues with screen fps(). This results in you being able to move at ridiculous speeds straight after pressing the console key and enter (it allowed you to walk through walls back in Vision I seem to remember)"

Now look at the first i think it is if statement. It checks and if the fps is less than 1, and by default it puts it to 1 for moveamount. see, i did the division, and the cube or whatever would rotate incredibly fast for the first second, so i added the other if.

here is without, notice the high speed in the beginning:

Now here is the example with the if statement:

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2010 05:06
I see your point now man.

I'll think about it for Souquel, because I'll have to make a new engine for that and new engines are when I like to do testing for new techniques like this, not half way through a nearly finished game. xD

Thanks though.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2010 05:56
Sure man, lol! But yah, i agree, dont put that in a half finished game that is quite big... But yes, if ya do decide to do that, tell me One of the things i like about it is that you can still control the amount an object moves (well duh, can you tell im tired?) weeell, look at this to see what i mean:

turn object left 1,ma*your object movement

Thanks for considering

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2010 06:20
Lol, yeah I can tell your tired.

You just told the guy programming World Off Road how to multiply rotational velocity by a constant. !

<Chuckles to himself>

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2010 06:55 Edited at: 12th Dec 2010 18:24
that i did!!! lol xD

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 00:09
hey cowbox, i did realize that my tbm code that uses screen fps(), can only update every second or so, so i developed one that gets the fps every loop, and in a float form as well, and integrated it. it works great!! sorry the variables are a bit funny named but here tis':

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 00:19
I'll forgive the code spacing for the fact this is actually useful to me next year.

Thanks man. xD

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 00:31
Haha, sure, no problemo at all I was sitting is school today and thought ohh, that's how ya get the fps updated quickly

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 00:47

I spent some time making the code more readable:

I was also impressed with the results as it is the first TBM example I've ever tried that worked properly... xD

Drillfoot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 01:16
Good job! Keep up the good work! Looking forward to this game.

rem allow user create game with one click
rem create graphics, sound, scripts, models, with one click
rem slap user in face if game choice is mmo
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 01:50 Edited at: 16th Dec 2010 02:09
@cowbox Thanks!! All i did was said, well let's figure out what needs to be done, i made it, found bugs, figured out different things, and it turns out i make a lot of functions etc that way that work pretty good! It's interesting how you use 66 as opposed to 60.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 03:25
Ah yeah, the other niche people have with my games and no one seems to be able to understand.

I set my sync rates to 66 rather than 60 because at 66, any fluctuation means it's always above 60 (because I've never seen it fluctuate more than 2 FPS on a normal day looking in one place at a set amount of polygons).

If it's at sync rate 60 and it fluctuates it can go down to 59 and 58 FPS. - These FPSs annoy my eyes because after years of playing FPS and mouseflicking to see things, I can actually tell when a game is running at lower than 60 FPS (this includes 59 and 58).

Therefore, I make sure on my applications without timer based movement (i.e. all of them before Souquel) I set the sync rate to 66 to keep it above 60.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2010 03:57
I see. Haha
Quote: "i.e. all of them before Souquel"
thanks man

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 01:26 Edited at: 15th Dec 2010 23:43
Finally some progress has been made.

I don't know why I decided to work on WOR today; I was putting off working on it during the exam period, but here I am, working on it between my 2 last exams. xD

Anyway, here are some screenshots of how the new maps should hopefully look:

Notice the mixture in terrain textures being used this time.

As well as this obvious change I've:
- been making the maps half as big and scaling up to 200% so they are lower poly and less texture looping is seen
- remade the trees (but come v0.19 Deathead and The Slayer will remake them again anyway)
- made the map brighter so the shadows aren't as imposing on the race course
- made the maps flatter so the cars don't bounce all over the place for those who want to just drive properly (there will be bumpier places at the edges for those willing to risk shortcuts and cutting corners)
- finally got prop exporting working from T.ED (had to install a new version that was numbered the same as the one I already had :S) and now I can just place everything in the map editor, meaning I can make maps soooooo much quicker now
- decided on how I want the new checkpoints to look - when Deathead and The Slayer do it I'll make sure they do it to this sort of design

Overall, it's not much progress because I've only got 2 out of the projected 5 cars done and just the scenery of 1 of the 6 projected maps done. But I did more today than I planned to. - I was planning on doing the rest of it after the new year.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 02:19
Wow, i thought the old maps were awesome but those look at least 10 times better

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 02:36 Edited at: 15th Dec 2010 02:38
xD Well hold onto your butts, cos I'm not done yet.

Even I'm excited to see how the Swamp maps turn out - but I won't start them until I've redone Dunes1 and 2 and Alpine1 and 2.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 02:52
the swamps Haha, so do you think your game will ever be worthy of being sold?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 02:59 Edited at: 15th Dec 2010 03:02
No, this game will be completely free. The only logical and viable way to make money is via donations because that way everything is legal and foolproof.

If we were trying to sell WOR, it would be pirated for sure.

EDIT:
New picture up there showcasing how the new checkpoints will look. - Obviously not orange and blue though, I just didn't have any suitable textures in my texture library. xD

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 15:42:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 15:42:37