Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / App Game Kit V108 Beta 8 - Over 200 New Commands

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i use another toolkit and use the sensors at 60fps without any problems. the sensors are 100% responsive even at 30fps
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
My app keeps crashing when I exit the app. When I use exit or just exit the main loop. I get a game.exe has stopped working error message. Its doesn't happen all the time but the longer the game is on the chance of it happens gets closer to 100% of it happening. I can risk the odd chance of this happening when it starts up but threes noway It will pass certification if it nearly always happens when closing the app. Anyone know of a fix, or for Beta 4 to arrive in less than 24 hrs, or should i just give up on the competition (or any AppGameKit build after 1065)?
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 00:07
@baxslash:

Quote: "Are you seriously worried about your game running slower than 120fps? Or was that a typo?"

Not a typo I'm afraid.

It seems that the slower the game runs, the faster the sensor lag picks up. Even at 128fps, the sensor lag becomes a problem very quickly during gameplay. In less than 15 seconds of starting the game, the lag becomes so bad that the game is then unplayable.

Seeing as how the issues have not been resolved, I'll have to remove the accelerometer support for my game just so I can submit something that works. I'm also going to have to remove ads from this release of the game due to them causing abnormal behavior and crashing.

~Plystire

A rose is only a rose until it is held and cherished -- then it becomes a treasure.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 00:51
Sorry to hear that Plystire, hopefully it will not adversely affect your entry...

I haven't had the same problems but I am only using a few sensors.

Still, at least you got a $1000 Ultrabook out of it

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ancient Lady, they have released a new updated version with T2 interpreter files that almost compile. However you now need windows8 and vs2012.

i tried it out and got an error on windows.h and gl.h

most probably it won't work unless the os is windows8 and right now my main dev os is win7.

i will try to move everything over to a win8 pc and try again
Brother
Years of Service
User Offline
I hope AppGameKit will stand fully compatible with Windows XP
because i am not going to install windows 8. I have too much application i use every day to change my operating system.

I am not english so xcuse my syntax, grammary or anything else wich could occure some ununderstanding
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 13:49
It may be that Windows 8 SDK needs to be installed, if this is a compiler error.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
the latest update does not work on windows 7 even with the win8 sdk installed.

you need win 8 + vs2012

vs2012 express does not work too

managed to make a template out of the interpreter, there seems to be no missing files now.

however GetPointerPressed() still does not respond to 1 tap, so basically the only advantage of this new version are the sensor commands.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 20th Nov 2012 19:57
Quote: "vs2012 express does not work too"

In what? Win8 or previous?

Quote: "
I hope AppGameKit will stand fully compatible with Windows XP
because i am not going to install windows 8. I have too much application i use every day to change my operating system.
"

Have you even tried using your applications in Windows 7 or 8?

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
the new version of t2 agk does not work with vs2012 express because of those atlimage.h errors
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
I just noticed BETA4 is on the download section. Does anyone know the changes form BETA3?
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 18:20 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2012 18:21
Quote: "I just noticed BETA4 is on the download section. Does anyone know the changes form BETA3? "

Not sure, but it does seem to be a valid update. It fixed the odd array crashing I was having, but my sprites still fail to show. Also, this now pops up,

swis
Interstellar

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 18:26
swissolo that's the GPS locating sensor I believe... or simply a call to get location information...

Handy if you want to use a map... or nearby functions... like finding nearby players or such...

I could be wrong...

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 18:26
Quote: "
This version provides the Ultrabook Sensor and Multi-Touch commands for T2 users, plus fixes the GPS by replacing SensorsAPI with LocationAPI. Do not download if you are targeting Android, iOS or Mac. BETA5 will provide working targets for those.
"

This is what it says when you press the "more info..." button

I'm looking forward to the 3D and FB commands being more finished, so roll on Beta 5

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 19:59 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2012 22:12
Quote: "swissolo that's the GPS locating sensor I believe... or simply a call to get location information...

Handy if you want to use a map... or nearby functions... like finding nearby players or such..."

Why should this appear if I don't call a single line of code that relates to it?

Edit: I found another small bug. If you try to set a string to another non-initialized string the value does not change.

ex

expected output: ""
actual output: "hi"

Others may not interpret this as a bug, but I feel it still should be changed in order to avoid confusion.

swis
Interstellar
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 22:06 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2012 22:07
Heres a video showing off the Sprite Animation bug that kept crashing my game when it exits. The videos in HD so youll be able to see the code.

As you see in the video commenting out the PlaySprite command stopped it from crashing. However after doing that any other sprite that uses either PlaySprite or SetSpriteFrame will cause the same crash even though that sprite was fine before.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Tried to build a windows T2 template for Beta 4.

Almost got there, but I have these errors:

these are all related to the sensor commands.

i am using windows 7 and vs2010 (with the vs2010 agk libs)

maybe paul or lee could direct me if i need to include sensorsapi.lib or sensors.h somewhere in my project (i tried but had no effect)

i managed to make a template on win8 using the special agk sensor version for vs2012, but at this stage i would prefer to keep all on win7 if possible
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2012 23:47
apocalyp4 - did you actually stop the sprites when the exit button was pressed of the level ended?

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2012 01:06 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2012 01:08
JimHawkins No I delete them.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2012 14:39
Quote: "Almost got there, but I have these errors:"

I've only tried the VS2008 libs which work here, I don't build the VS2010 ones, but try adding dxguid.lib to the linker input.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot for your help Paul, I have now successfully built a T2 template for 108 beta4.

I have put some instructions in another thread, for those who would like to try it out by themselves
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I often press the middle mouse button in order to jump back to my cursor position, but it also copies and pastes highlighted text. So naturally, I accidentally pasted a line right after another one in my code. Unfortunately, instead of throwing an error, AppGameKit failed to compile entirely. I think this really emphasises the need for improved error reports. Sure, it was my mistake, but the amount of time required just to find problem was quite ridiculous.

I believe I did something like this,

But it seems I can't reproduce the error.

swis
Interstellar
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
^ I had that same thing happen multiple times, where some fragment of code would get added somewhere (because I also middle-click to set focus by habit) but it returned no error. The executable simply would silently fail and the older EXE would run. Caused hours of headaches for me and at one point I reverted back to a much earlier version of my code simply because I couldn't pinpoint the problem.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
finally i started working a bit with beta4, since this is the first 108 version that we were able to make T2 templates for Windows.

Tested a bit, all seems to be working fine, at least on first check.

What I noted is that when resizing the screen, using 1076 sometimes some tiny black lines appeared around the border of sprites. Now the problem seems to have vanished. Most probably this is due to the fact that now AppGameKit is using ogl 2.0
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2012 16:38 Edited at: 25th Nov 2012 16:39
I started work on an MD5 hashing function for AppGameKit a few months ago, and although I managed to get it to almost work, I never finished it. (It outputs a hash which doesn't match what it's supposed to)

I went to have a look at it again today (I now have 1.08b4 installed), and it just came up with a strange error.

Has any one else ecountered this? It definitely used to compile and run under the stable version of AGK.

Here is the source I was trying to compile/run

P.S.

Cake is on offer to anyone who can tell me why the MD5 function doesn't return a correct hash?

TheTeenDevs
Years of Service
User Offline
There's still issues with the Android Tier 2 template. Forums help:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=197313&b=46

It seems TGC is giving up on Android support.......? but nice 3d features
Felis Astrum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 07:52
Quote: "it just came up with a strange error"

Prof, have you checked if this is the number-of-lines error (if you have a particular number of lines it happens, so you add in a few to fix it)? While it's a nuisance, it has provided a good excuse for hiding a few lines of Monty Python and other amusing song lyrics in each of my applications.

Good luck with the MD5 function, I'm afraid I can't submit an application for cake as I'm only a noob.

I'm new. I bring cats for all.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Giving up on Android support? Android is one of the top mobile platforms. TGC are not going to abandon that for sure!

Paul made a T2 template for 107x, it should be on your products download page. It works 100%

don't know about 108x have not tried Android yet, only Windows.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 15:59
I created a working v1082 Android template. It is posted on the AGK Wiki Template page.

I haven't downloaded v1084 yet. I hope to get to it by the end of the week and create templates for all the platforms.

TGC hasn't abandoned AppGameKit for Android at all.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think the 1082 template will differ a lot from a 1084 one right?

most probably you can just use the 1082 straight away
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2012 19:02
Quote: "I don't think the 1082 template will differ a lot from a 1084 one right?"

Yes, it will.

The difference is in the Core.cpp file (or the appropriate one for non-Windows platforms). That file has to correspond to what goes on in the libraries that are definitely updated each release. That file is within the template/project directory, not part of the shared libraries and files.

When I build the Core.<x> file for the v108<x> releases, I compare the interpreter.cpp file from the release previous to the version I'm making and update the Core.<x> files with the changes found (that are not related to being an interpreter).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
In my opinion Core.cpp should be provided by TGC as it's too "risky" to clean on our own
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2012 15:51
That sounds like a great idea.

They can provide just the Core.<x> files (appropriate for all the platforms) and we can plug them in.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
indeed the rest of the files are easy to fix, following the guide. but core.cpp is a tough one. i'm still using the one from 1076. I wonder what the repercussions will be! for me, all seems to be working fine in 1084!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2012 16:22
There are some significant differences in Core.<x> between v1076 and v108<x> related to sound and touch and display positioning/order.

Attached is the Core.cpp file I worked out for v1083. I hope to have the time to get to v1084 soon.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester

Attachments

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2012 22:37 Edited at: 29th Nov 2012 07:51
great work Ancient Lady!

put in your core.cpp and everything still works fine!

I am trying to analyse core.cpp to learn new things.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 15:43
Always glad to help.

Happy Programming!

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i am still very curious about the VM_TOUCH section

Still can't get 1 tap touch to work on Windows8 touchscreen. but maybe we need some extra code to plug in this section of core.cpp
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
The new 1084 build seems to skip writing those useless interpreter graphic files to MyDocuments! FINALLY!!!

Can someone from TGC actually confirm this?
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2012 22:53 Edited at: 29th Nov 2012 23:01
Quote: "Still can't get 1 tap touch to work on Windows8 touchscreen. but maybe we need some extra code to plug in this section of core.cpp "

I'm still intrigued by this topic, because single tap touch appears to work flawlessly on my ultrabook and has for a long time now--although originally when I tried it did not until you moved 10-20 pixels.

So I don't know if I just have a bizarre ultrabook or accidentally toggled a magical setting, or if the latest AppGameKit builds (1083/4) fixed something, but GetPointerPressed() and GetPointerReleased() work as expected. The instant I touch the screen GetPointerPressed() is called, same with GetPointerReleased() after I lift my finger.

Please test this executable I wrote out on your ultrabook (before compiling it yourself). On mine, as soon as I tap the screen, "Press Count" increases by 1, and as soon as I release, "Release Count" increases by one.

If it doesn't work for you, then there's something weird going on. I tested compiling on Windows 8, Windows 7, and using the last two betas and it seems to work for me but again I only have my one ultrabook to test.

P.S., I also did some more troubleshooting to determine why some apps crash on exit in Windows 8. The first issue I encountered related to the sprite depth, if it exceeded a certain amount the app would crash as soon as it lost focus. Another issue I found is that if you use CloneSprite with an animated sprite that uses a spritesheet, it seems to crash every time when you exit. Really random bugs and near impossible to discover. I'm sure there are others as well.

Attachments

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2012 00:04 Edited at: 30th Nov 2012 00:07
Xcept your test works perfectly!

i am using 1084 t2, but with an old core.cpp from 1083

Can't get 1 touch tap to work so the problem is definately with the t2 template
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, so it's a T2 issue. I was never clear on that and thought you said it didn't seem to work in T1 or T2. I've not messed with T2 for awhile now so I can't help there.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2012 03:53
Attached is the updated Core.cpp for v1084 T2. I still don't have my template working, but I updated this file based on changes in the interpreter Core.cpp from v1083 to v1084.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester

Attachments

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Ancient Lady I was going to do that myself today, as soon as I took a look at core.cpp from 1084 and understood that all the windows touch handling happens there and not in the actual .lib

Now 1 touch tap works great!!!!

Finally!!!! It was all in the core.cpp!!! Damn it!!!!!!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Xcept I don't use T1, just occasionally to test some code posted here. The problem was in core.cpp, as i was not using the 1084 one, but an old one from 1076!!

Now 1 touch tap works great on t2!!!
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2012 16:02
bjadams, I can't get my v1084 template to compile and link.

Can/will you email me your template, please? I'd like to see what I'm doing wrong and fix it so that we can share the template on the wiki page.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
here is my working 1084 template for VS2010 (not Express)

Attachments

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2012 20:13 Edited at: 30th Nov 2012 20:17
Thank you bjadams!

I had to tweak directories and a couple of project flags, but I got your template to compile and link.

Now let me see if I can get mine to work properly as well (uses the file name 'template' instead of 'interpreter' for header/code).

EDIT: It works! I don't have the sensor pack included, but I'll see if I can make that work as well.

EDIT: I won't try to use the Ultrabook Sensors because that download hasn't been updated for v1084.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
1084 has sensors support

they are using direct input from DX to achieve that!

the special 108 ultrabook version is superseded by 1084. 1084 is much more advanced, i think they should delete the ultrabook version now.

What project flags did you have to fix?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2012 21:51
Not so much flags as adding the ignoring of atls (and atlsd) in the standard libraries and making sure to use the VS2010 library set.

I had to leave my computer downloading the 250+mb directX sdk and then install it today before I could get the templates to link.

Now I need to install it on my other computers as well.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 06:27:38
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 06:27:38