Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / App Game Kit V108 Beta 8 - Over 200 New Commands

Author
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 21:40
i dont think the help files are updated?
Check the first page for the new commands.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 22:34
Quote: "Panic rises and starting to get the feeling i will fail to upload in time "

Atleast the latest update didn't break your code to a point where you switch language Hopefully it will be fixed soon and i can finish the app in T1 before making the switch to T2
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Cliff I bet the next beta with the sensors will come out on the 21 November!!!!!!
lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 22:56
The help files are there for 1.08 but the "home" page says "new in 1.07" but don't be fooled

My hovercraft is full of eels
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 23:02 Edited at: 8th Nov 2012 23:35
Quote: "Cliff I bet the next beta with the sensors will come out on the 21 November!!!!!! "

I hope not

Even if the update gets here to late so will i try to upload my game to appup and see if i get to keep my ultrabook.

Maybe i could earn a few bucks by selling my game engine?

I have found beta 108 phaze 3 to be slow also?

Takes ages to compile and test run.

And its impossible to capture any videos with the new beta using fraps?

Seams to be an issue with sprites with large amount of transparency also?

Could be open gl 2 issues?

Edited......
This is weird?
I recorded a movie now and the game runs at 30 fps wich is 10 fps lower then before with fraps running.

But the game plays smoother somehow?

I know that fraps is no good when it comes to speed but its the prg i have

I will upload the new movie of the final game so far in my thread soon.

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 23:38
What setting are you using on SetSyncRate(), set the second variable to 1. My game got realy choppy on the ultrabook.

Quote: "Takes ages to compile and test run."

I have noticed that to...
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2012 23:41
Quote: "What setting are you using on SetSyncRate(), set the second variable to 1. My game got realy choppy on the ultrabook."

I where among the first to report this zoq2

But is it still the same with the latest 108 release?

i thought this whas one of the issues they fixed in this release?

I am waiting for the sensor commands before i playtest anymore on the ultrabook

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 00:06
Guess that's not your problem then.

I would just like them to fix the array bugs, and the ultrabook touchscreen. Though sensorcommands wouldn't be a bad thing either. Luckily my project dosn't need them
Brother
Years of Service
User Offline
Personnaly the only AppGameKit version wich is fully compatible is v1.074.
When i am developping an app it works fine.

With v1.076 i have an error message when i compile and run an app.
Ok it's boring but it's not blocking me.

Concerning all the other beta version (1.081, 1.082, 1.083), i can't even compile on PC.

I hope AppGameKit Team will correct this and i could use AppGameKit 1.08 final version...

I am not english so xcuse my syntax, grammary or anything else wich could occure some ununderstanding
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
108x are all betas, they are not meant to work 100% perfect yet, so use at your own risk
Brother
Years of Service
User Offline
@bjadams

I understand. I just mention it for knowledge.

(Excuse me if it's too negative, i am not english and sometime my words and sentences can be too strong and not reflect exactly my mind.)

I am not english so xcuse my syntax, grammary or anything else wich could occure some ununderstanding
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
hey Brother, no worries, we are here to discuss & learn, we are all free to express our opinion
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 17:02 Edited at: 9th Nov 2012 17:12
Well, I installed v1083 and tried to build VS2010 bits.

The basic interpreter failed because the Jpegfile.h requires atlstr.h. But, this is for the scrapper stuff (whatever that is) and it is not needed for building Tier 2 projects.

So, I took a working v1076 Tier 2 template and dumped it in the v1083 templates directory. Then I compared the Core.cpp files between the interpreter versions for v1076 and 1083 and edited the Core.cpp file in the new v1083 VS2010 template and made all the same changes.

It compiles fine, but doesn't link. 127 unresolved externals. Interestingly, the list of unresolved stuff was different between the builds for Debug and Release. It looks pretty much like previous link failures for v1082.

This was using the libraries in the AGK\IDE\platform\windows\lib\VS2010 directory, which is what we've always needed to do to get the apps to work.

So I tried using the ones in just AGK\IDE\platform\windows\lib and there were only 5 unresolved externals, but a lot of them:

I won't worry about trying other Tier 2 templates for v1083. I think most people start Tier 2 developing in Windows and then port. But, if enough people ask, I'll try to do the iOS/Mac ones.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 17:17
Oh, and I did make sure that all the project settings in the test template agreed with the ones from the v1083 interpreter project.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 17:41
So, currently, 108 won't work with T2?

Guess I can't use T2 to get around my problems either :/
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 19:04
If you are working in Windows (which you would have to be if you were doing Tier 1), then, sorry, no Tier 2 for you! (I never actually saw that episode of Seinfeld, only actually watched about 5 shows.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 19:17
Guess I have to hope that the array bugs get fixed in the next release
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 19:47
Quote: "Guess I have to hope that the array bugs get fixed in the next release"

This assumes that they are working on them. As said before, it's awful hard to create a simple code sample that will reliably produce the problem.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 20:11 Edited at: 9th Nov 2012 20:13
I guess

I may just have to find a way to get the touchscreen working in 1082, and ignore the other sensors which arn't realy needed
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Paul said his template is working!!!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 22:23
That is good news...
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
But still, I don't know why we did not yet get the sensors commands. It seems that TGC are putting much energy into getting their FPSC funded now...
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 22:29
Quote: "Paul said his template is working!!!"

Maybe, but it wasn't included in the v1083 download.

So, I can't try it.

And I couldn't compile the projects in the Projects\Native\Windows_VS2010 directory. But, then none of them have updated Core.cpp or CoreForeApp.h files anyway.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 22:30 Edited at: 9th Nov 2012 23:33
Quote: "But still, I don't know why we did not yet get the sensors commands. It seems that TGC are putting much energy into getting their FPSC funded now..."

Indeed

Edit: Hmm, this leads to some desitions for me. Basicaly, I need to submit my app for the ultrabook competition pretty soon, and I can't use v108 because of the array bugs. It would be benefitial to have the sensor commands, but not nessesairy. So I have 2 choises, either I port my app to T2, which will take a while, but I will hopefully be able to use the sensor commands if they get released.

Or I keep working in T1, save the problem of porting 4k lines to C++ and save the time that takes. However, if the sensorcommands do get released and the arrays arn't fixed, I will be stuck without the sensor commands.

So what is most likley, that TGC will release the sensor commands, and fix the array bugs, or that they will only
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 23:40
I must - reluctantly - say that I share some concerns.

It's so easy to get a whole range of "nearly finished" things, as I know to my cost, whilst announcing the next great adventure.

The key factors for me are that the new version is solid, has the correct and needed includes and libraries, and can be built and tested. The last bit is vital, as forum members have screamed for new features, and they've maybe got them, but need to be able to thrash it to bits until we're happy that it's all working.

I would be embarrassed as a developer if I needed Ancient Lady (who really should be renamed Angel Lady) to put hours of work in to correct errors. There's a difference between some functional problems with shaders or whatever and not being able to do a build.

A lot of this could have been avoided by using (say) Gnu C/C++ and not being subject to the ever-changing vagaries of VS. I do think it's time for Tier 2 programmers to say "Can we have consistency, please?"

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 00:02
Quote: "who really should be renamed Angel Lady"

Blush! (I just like to help, that's all. My daughter is too grown to mother, so I'll take care of the fledgling programmers.)

Quote: "Gnu C/C++"

This would be GREAT if they went that way.

I suspect they'd find that they could then port to more platforms much easier.

Quote: "the problem of porting 4k lines to C++"

If, based on other of your posts, you don't already know C++, this is not an easy task. I think that, unless you are wedded to the barely beta v108 (and it really isn't complete, yet), go back to using v1076. v1076 is relatively stable.

Quote: "fix the array bugs"

I'll repeat, don't count on this. It's easier just to build the code using local variables for array elements. And a bit cleaner looking as well.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 00:22
I think i'll just use 1082, and fake the touch recognition then...
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Jim, unfortunately Ancient Lady can't do miracles, there are files missing from the T2 Windows setup, the Interpreter does not even compile AS IS. How can we build a template from the interpreter if the interpreter itself does not work!!!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been holding off development of my app for the Intel challenge specifically in hopes that we'd get a build with proper sensor support and also maybe an official guide on building for the AppUp store as part of this competition. Sadly the competition only has a couple weeks left and we still have no way to truly test the Ultrabook sensors.

One month ago Lee wrote: "I do plan to add support for some of these sensors through the 'desktop mode' running Windows 8 so you are armed and ready for the Intel competition (I highly recommend everyone have a go at this one as the prizes are great)."

I know that the core TGC development team is small, which is also why I sometimes have concern that each month they seem to shift focus to another product (AGK, then Freedom Engine, now FPSC Reloaded). I have supported all of these initiatives and donated to the cause, but naturally this means less time will be spent on AGK. I recall reading somewhere that Lee would be able to work six months full-time on just FPSC if it gets funded, but I hope work on AppGameKit does not slow much more as a result.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 00:44
bj - I agree. She shouldn't have to.

It needs a "stand back and look" period. It needs consolidation on all the fronts. As we've seen from a few loud exits from the forum, credibility is going down.

Ancient Lady should not need to do miracles of the kind that involve fixing up .h files etc. This is not professional.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 01:19 Edited at: 10th Nov 2012 01:20
The thing to keep in mind is that the v108 releases are beta releases. And anyone working with software knows that beta equates to buggy. TGC even admitted that v1081 was really an Alpha release. None of the v108 releases are complete. And they haven't claimed that they are.

This is why I continue to work with v1076.

Unfortunately, they haven't been able to complete what was needed in time for the Intel competition Phase Two. They had high hopes. I think some of the issues revolve around libraries that they have had access to that are not available to be included in the AppGameKit delivery for some reason or other.

EDIT: I will note that I was able to create a working Tier 2 for iOS and Mac and a working Players for both iOS and Android in v1082.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ancient Lady, no one expects 108 to work perfectly, but T2 users are cut out as there is no working Windows templates. The interpreter does not even work.

All those who got into the Intel contest are very concerned as they have been promised functions that are not there yet. How are they going to deliver?

Lee has stated that he wants to work full time on FPSC. We are back to old TGC, release a product, support it for a period of time, move on to something else, leave a small community crying... I never understood this kind of strategies.

@Xcept I use another HTML5 toolkit, supported by a team of 1 person! I get 2-3 updates per month, and everything seems to work out of the box without problems. So it can be done!
Space Dream Studios
Competition Prize Winner 2014
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, stay cool As I know Lee, he will come up with a working update for the ultrabook contest in time Even if there is no official response, I'm sure he is working 24 hours a day to get a nice new AppGameKit version out. Meanwhile get your app for the ultrabook contest ready to work on your iPad, Galaxy Pad or similar...
Then you will be ready to compile for ultrabook, as soon as the next version of AppGameKit comes out.
ENJOY THE WEEKEND!!!

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 13:08
I think it's time for the a lite bit of realism in the community. The game creators ARE NOT going to dedicate themselves to lots of AppGameKit updates as there's no money in it for them, which equates to no reason. Look at the math:AGK can be bought for a one off of £35. That pays, after tax, minimum wage for one person for one day. Maybe. Now, they are a business, and need to make money. How many copies of AppGameKit do you realistically think sell now? 2, MAYBE 3 per week? We're lucky they do anything at all, as they released a stable (well, almost) product for that cost. They had no obligation to do anything else. I used Dbpro a lot, and it had the advantage of add ins they could earn from...... AppGameKit does not. So, betas are all fine, but unless they can earn I doubt that beta will ever reach release. I've said it before, I'll say it again..... Charge a nominal fee, maybe £10–15 say, for updates that have extensive new commands. If I need them, I'll happily pay. He'll, that's less than a take away pizza.

We also have to accept that by its very nature, and the rapid upgrades to, most notably android, AppGameKit hasa very short compatibility ifespan. Sad, but true. Look at dbpro and the win 7 uupgrade that rendered all dbpro products non runnable. It isnonly a matter of time after each release til something changes that'll stop your program dead. Android 4.1 came out..... How many apps on your device heeded to upgrade for compatibility??
Space Dream Studios
Competition Prize Winner 2014
Years of Service
User Offline
@Santmann:

How do you know the numbers of AGK's, TGC are selling per week or month? I don't know it.

Have you ever made a commercial product with DBPro and placed it on the market with the tools of TGC? I made more than 10!

Almost all my business success is based on DBPro and AppGameKit and I love to work with it since a number of years (DBPro)...

What is your experience that enables you to make such negative statements, since you just joined the community almost one year ago?

My DBPro programs run on WIN 7, no big problems.
By the way, programming is not how good the tools are, it's about how good I am in using the available tools

Sorry, but I couldn't hold back writing my opinion

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 16:14
@Lee or Paul

Could we have some indication of whether the sensor commands are coming in time for the Intel competition deadline? I know you like to just pop up unannounced with a new update but I could do with some notice on this one since there may be alternative options if you don't think it will be ready(tier 2 perhaps?).

I know Lee has a game entered so I imagine they will be done on time, but I'm getting spooked by some of the doubters on here

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 18:58
@space dream studios

either you didn't read my post properly, or you misread it - I wasn't getting at TGC, I was defending them!! What I said was, they built and sold AppGameKit as a stand alone program which (some poor documentation/bugs aside) worked and did what they said. They are not now under any obligation to add all the new functionality. As for how many they sell, well given the incredible amount of touting going on for the next FPSC I think it;s fair to say they aren't striking gold....and lets be honest, for the most part, DBPro and AppGameKit are hobbyist tools (with some exceptions) and the price point shows this (my opinion - I'm sure many will differ).

All I'm saying is, people should bear in mind that if you bought Assassins creed 3, and 7 months later a newer better graphics engine came out, you wouldn't expect Ubisoft to redo the game for free. Just saying.
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=201092&b=48&msg=2408391#m2408391
Looks like declaring types is causing issues as well. I think this was also the source of my array out of bounds issues.

swis
Interstellar
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2012 23:08
Declaring types is fine. It's the combination of declaring a variable as a type and assigning a value on the same line. This would be fine:

Of course, the example provided in the link you sent might have had an issue if the variable 'height' had not been previously declared. Undeclared variables default to zero. But the compiler may not be able to handle that in the same line as the declaration. Just a possibility, the sample coded didn't show how 'height' was created.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Declaring types is fine. It's the combination of declaring a variable as a type and assigning a value on the same line."

That's right I had entirely forgotten about that bug. In general I have avoided it, but it didn't seem to cause issues until lately.

Quote: "Of course, the example provided in the link you sent might have had an issue if the variable 'height' had not been previously declared. Undeclared variables default to zero. But the compiler may not be able to handle that in the same line as the declaration. Just a possibility, the sample coded didn't show how 'height' was created."

It's declared as a global at the top

swis
Interstellar
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 18:14 Edited at: 11th Nov 2012 18:22
Is anyone else having issues with the new sensor update? The return values from the sensors are fine when SetSyncRate(0,0), but if you set the frame rate to 60fps for example the sensor values lag to the point that they can be seconds behind.

Update seems that is happens when you set SetSyncRate to less than 120 fps. So SetSyncRate(120, 0) if fine but all below is laggy.
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 19:50
iam downloading the files now.
i will let you know wath i notice.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 20:11 Edited at: 11th Nov 2012 20:13
Edit Never mind
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i have an issue... no T2 support!!!!!
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
With the latest Ultrabook sensor update, GPS still seems to be broken and none touch screen computers are seen as touch screen computers when using "GetMultiTouchExists( )".

Sean

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 20:46
All the ultrabook sensors seem to work for me, great work TGC
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "All the ultrabook sensors seem to work for me, great work TGC"

Even the GPS?

Sean

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 20:53
Uhh no, that one is a constant 0
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 22:10
touch command clicks once at the old location before it clicks the screen at the new one
No go for me to upload as my game is broken righ now with the bugy commands.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2012 22:38
Cant you do something like this:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:28:14
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:28:14