Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Chat / [STICKY] v2 Feature Requests

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
SetTextOffset() / GetTextOffset()
Increase
Years of Service
User Offline
The GetSpriteDistancePoint...() commands don't seem to work; always return 0
Increase
Years of Service
User Offline
TextToSpeech for Desktop Platforms
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2018 03:58
1) I would like to see AppGameKit spit out the app maybe making the JDK project then calling the android compiler to finish off. To this end having constants for setup in the AppGameKit would be good too, something like:
#Android_Company_Name ="..."
#Android_App_Name="..."

This would make it more accessible than the sixty odd point system we have now with eclipse and cygwin etc

2) Do a DB Classic and put ALL media and byte code into the exercise or a datablock as at present no matter the app I can access all models etc. I have written my own encrypted but the byte code is still a thorn.
-EdzUp
Increase
Years of Service
User Offline
- small executable sizes for all platforms
- frame adjustment possibilities for html5; possbility of a branding-free compilation
GarBenjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2018 16:59 Edited at: 9th Sep 2018 17:03
I think it would be awesome if we could get just some more fundamentals implemented...

1. Predefined functions for working with angles in 2D and 3D: GetDistanceToAngle(fromAngle as float, toAngle as float), GetShortestDistanceToAngle(fromAngle as float, toAngle as float), AngleIsWithinDegrees(testAngle as float, AngleToCompareTo as float, degrees as float), AngleIsBetweenAngles(testAngle as float, Angle1 as float, Angle2 as float), AngleAddWithLimits(angle as float, valueToAdd as float, angleMin as float, angleMax as float). I've already implemented this in my little Extended API project I posted in the past week but it would be awesome to have these as part of the api itself because I think such things are incredibly useful for game development and they will perform much faster as part of the internal api

2. Implementing function references and callbacks for AppGameKit Tier 1 BASIC. It would be fantastic if we could pass in a function reference to another function so it could be stored and later when appropriate this other function could make a callback.
Basically I was thinking a new type of variable could be implemented. Something like FuncRef so we could do something like...

That is just a rough example and the signature of the function references would need to be handled but I would be content at the simplest if every function reference always accepted an array of float values as parameters. It could also accept a special FuncRefType that has predefined fields such as an array of integers and an array of floats. Like a one shot thing defined in the api solely for this purpose. So we would populate that FuncRefType.integerList[0] = SomeValue, etc and when using CallFunction the FuncRefType is passed over. But you may come up with something much better.

3. Implementing Min, MinF, Max, MaxF, Sgn and SgnF in the math section of the api just to provide some more very standard functionality and maximize the performance of using these.

4. Predefined #constant / const int values for ALL key codes within the api itself like KEY_A, KEY_LEFT, etc just in the interest of convenience and everyone not needing to duplicate these in every project including their own file. They are so common in use it just makes sense to have them as part of the api imho.
blink0k
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 9th Sep 2018 20:46
They have said before that they will not do function references or even variable references outside of passing variable references
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2018 10:30 Edited at: 11th Sep 2018 10:30
I have all the angle functions in my Ultim framework which I have ported to AppGameKit from C++.

One thing I would love is classes in Tier 1 with methods and OOP, they are so useful and make stuff much more encapsulated. Things like:

Would become:

obviously this is a ludicrously basic example but it makes calling things so much easier and would allow for multiple functions with the same name but in different classes so we don't have to add monikers to them like NPCmovement, PlayerMovement etc. It could all come under NPC.Movement and Player.Movement etc
-EdzUp
Bengismo
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2018 12:13
Ive a set of angle functions too so wouldnt need them - there are much better ways of implementing them. It would be easy to add the maths functions straight into the teir 2 library but im not sure I would bother with Min or Max either as its just 2 lines of code in basic anyway.

Im not sure why someone would port C++ code over to basic only then to want OOP in basic when you already had it in the faster C++ version of your code? Its possible to write AppGameKit apps in C++/C#/Python so if OOP is really wanted then those languages are a much better option. I like the ability to quickly broadcast basic AppGameKit apps but thats the only advantage I can really think of in basic compared with using the other OOP languages which can run more quickly and with more functionality in the language.
GarBenjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2018 15:09 Edited at: 12th Sep 2018 18:02
I just threw that stuff out as very basic fundamental stuff that by its nature I think should be in any api / engine for games. I get it that we can write all of this stuff and much more ourselves it's more a question of where is the line of what a person should need to write. Should every person need to write min, max, angle functions etc or would it be better to have those basic things in the api so people can focus on arguably more important things like AI and other similar things? Also all of this stuff would run considerably faster in the api. Yes people could all switch to using C/C++ but I think the appeal for many is the BASIC so called Tier 1 programming language.

I think we'd see many more games and bigger more impressive games coming out of AppGameKit if all of the basic fundamental stuff was readily available right in the api. Basically any & all things that most developers will spend time writing for themselves is a perfect candidate to be included in the api. Because if many of us are writing min, max, sgn for example that is an indication it is a fundamental need. If many of us are writing angle functions same case. And so on. Anyway I was just throwing that out there.
EdzUp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2018 14:28
GarBenjamin: so true.

One of the reasons so many people use Unity is it does everything from the get go, you can even compile for Linux etc from windows.

It's also a reason that I still work on Ultim my C++ engine as at some point you get to thinking if I have to write most of it then why not go the extra mile and make your own system.
-EdzUp
Riusz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2018 09:57 Edited at: 20th Sep 2018 09:59
My ideas (but I don't know if it's relevant) :
- Include only the used Libraries to the Exe/APK (to make it smaller). For Exemple, if I make a 2D game, the executable will not include all 3d libraries.
Xamarin does something link that (detecting the needed libraries by the commands/references used).
- A Entity-Component-System integration in Basic (Pattern used in a lot of game engine)

Riusz
Kevin Cross
Valued Member
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 27th Sep 2018 08:12
As I assume print() is mainly only used for debugging purposes can we have an option to either add a drop shadow to it, or a semi-transparent background so that the text stands out over the top of your graphics? I use print() a lot to track variables while the app is running on the device (I'll be honest I don't really know how else to properly debug with AGK) but no matter what print text colour I choose it's often hard to see over the top of some areas of the screen because of the images that lay underneath it.
puzzler2018
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Paul,

If you could implement something along the lines of SetObjectMeshFromMemblock() but for more of a finer option

say for example, we just need to change a very small vertexes on a mesh

i.e

Then a command to only set the object vertexes like with the above instead of rebuilding the whole object

Something like

SetObjectMeshFromVertexes( Object, VertexFrom, VertexTo )

I think this will speed things up heavily on changing vertexes on an object
puzzler2018
Years of Service
User Offline
Getting an "Unknown error occured" when posting, anyone else?
Increase
Years of Service
User Offline
- placing graphics at the complete screen at any time & relative to other system objects / windows
Golelorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Selecting a block of code and undoing that block of code only.
fubarpk
AGK Developer
Gold Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2018 17:02
ide like to see the command AddObjectShapeObject(myObject,addObject, positionVec3, rotationVec3, sizeVec3 )

To be used with physics collisions like

Which would give greater control with the current physic object commands and allow for something like a torus object
to be used where it may just have 4 objects which consist of a break down of the Torus object into quarter sections
fubar
Preben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2018 08:33 Edited at: 29th Oct 2018 15:08
SetObjectMeshVisible(obj,mesh,mode)

Needed this for years , and should be a easy one

Edit: No need i added it myself, will add it to github when i have a full branch
Subscribe and checkout great AppGameKit video's here: Videos click here
Latest GameGuru Loader news: News click here
Get GameGuru Loader PBR version here: Steam click here
best regards Preben Eriksen,
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2018 16:18 Edited at: 10th Nov 2018 16:20
I have a request for DeleteSprite( iSpriteIndex )

deleting individual sprites is slow but the command deleteallsprites is fast. can we have a range that could be deleted so it can perform the task faster? or can the deletesprite code be looked at cause its slow with 10k sprites to delete.
what? 10k sprites you say? Yes! its for an emulated display of pixels. During runtime it works fast ...they just dont want to delete very fast once created.

so for my request .... a range of sprites to delete would be nice instead of needing to delete all of them for speeds sake.

i also thought of using a memblock for a single sprite..... however thats much slower to update then individual sprites.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2018 00:33
I would love to have a Dictionary type in Tier 1.

blink0k
AGK Developer
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 12th Nov 2018 01:11
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2018 03:07 Edited at: 13th Nov 2018 03:51
@blink0k: insertsorted and find are nice, but too limited for what I had in mind since they don't offer key->value lookup.
When used with arrays of user-defined types, insertsorted and find use the first item in the UDT for sorting and finding in the array.
adambiser
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2018 03:50
@blink0k: Sorry, I did not realize how insertsorted and find work with UDT arrays. Thank you for mentioning them! Now that I understand, I think they will work.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2018-11-16 00:09:03
Your offset time is: 2018-11-16 00:09:03