Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / v2 Feature Requests

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 17:36 Edited at: 19th Mar 2015 17:38
Quote: "Not returning anything, or returning something that has not be initialised."

The compiler does complain if a function is implied to return something and it doesn't, it also complains if a variable is used that hasn't been initialised.

For example:

...gets a compiler error: Function "test" must return a value to be used here

And:

...gets a compiler error: Variable "x" is used without being defined or initialised

EDIT: That's without option explicit btw

Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 21:58 Edited at: 19th Mar 2015 22:10
I'd really like to see a SetOrientation() command.

Obviously it should only work in Windows but it would help a LOT with setting up a GUI that changes depending on the devices orientation.

Or indeed, setting up any orientation specific display without having to export to a mobile device.

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 & 2
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 22:24 Edited at: 19th Mar 2015 22:26
There is already this command:

SetOrientationAllowed( portrait, portrait2, landscape, landscape2 )

Parameters

portrait - The default device orientation.
portrait2 - The upside down portrait orientation.
landscape - The landscape orientation when the device is rotated left from its default position.
landscape2 - The landscape orientation when the device is rotated right from its default position.

[EDIT]
Forget that just seen what you meant with windows use.

The Amiga and Amos were great!
Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 22:26
You misunderstood my request.
I don't want to determine which orientations to allow. I want to simulate those orientations from within Windows.

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 & 2
SpecTre
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2015 23:10
Yep if you look I edited after re reading your post and realising what you meant with windows that's why I said forget what I post

Cheers

The Amiga and Amos were great!
Download my game - Paint Pot from Amazon and Google here - http://leap.my-free.website/
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Multiple textures for a 3D model.
Most models came with multiple textures. Cannot do anything much in AppGameKit if a model can only use 1 texture. Takes too much time to retexture them (for newbs like me).
Yaro
Years of Service
User Offline
SQL Commands, reading/writing memblocks/arrays from/to files, and allowing functions to return variables and Types would be great
Yaro
Years of Service
User Offline
SQL Commands, reading/writing memblocks/arrays from/to files, and allowing user functions to return variables and Types would be great
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 08:35
Quote: "allowing user functions to return variables and Types would be great"

This is already possible

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 08:43
Regarding my comment above about the SetOrientation command. I'd like to take that a step further.

What I said above still stands, I'd like to be able to simulate the orientation from with Windows for testing purposes. however, what would also be great is if you could disable the auto-rotation when the orientation changes (which you can) but still be able to read the orientation with the GetOrientation command (which you can't).

If, for example, you were writing a puzzle game that took place on a mainly square board you may want your GUI to be positioned differently depending on the orientation of the device.

Something like this:

If we could disable auto-rotation but still detect a change in rotation then we can swith the layout ourselves and if we could simulate the orientation in Windows it would make setting it up a lot easier.

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 & 2
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2015 23:45
I haven't issued any requests before, but after a long time, realising that many will feel these are bizarre, here they are:

1) Option for AppGameKit Basic to emit C++ source as well as bytecode.
2) Ability to inject C++ source into Basic.
3) Ability to define a function named in the C++ code.

My rationale for this:

1) It does not interfere with Basic users who just wish to use Basic. But it does provide an extension mechanism, since lack of extension is a major gripe. It makes prototyping easier because your framework can be written in Basic but can include new APIs for social networks when they turn up, as they often do.

2) Any new cool stuff can be included in the core as and when Paul has time.

3) It's entirely within TGC's policy zone; no extra permissions are required since C++ is part of the deal.

<<It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.>> Dijkstra
Yaro
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "This is already possible "

What's the syntax? Whenever I try "return a" or "return(a)" I get an error stating that RETURN must be followed by a newline.
Yaro
Years of Service
User Offline
Answered my own question a minute after I posted, it would be "endfunction a". Oops.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2015 09:09
Quote: " it would be "endfunction a""

There's also

exitfunction a

if you want to leave the function early.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2015 18:47
Does AGK2 currently offer any support for Miracast or other "HDMI over WiFi" technologies???

I think Android 4.2+ supports Miracast, so it would be nice if AppGameKit could take advantage of this.

Coding things my way since 1981 -- Currently using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
JRNTexas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2015 22:08 Edited at: 24th Mar 2015 19:11
Requests:

<EDIT>
The ability to choose whether the app continues to run in the background and send alerts to the system. In writing an RPG, I want the player to be able to jump to a phone call or run another app and my game is still running in the background so that when the player returns, the game has progressed appropriately. And to be able to alert the system so that the user(player) is alerted when certain events occur.
</EDIT

Access to device file structure. To load images, user created files, photos, etc. created in other apps.

Ability to launch other apps.

Access to cloud services like DropBox.

Access to a dedicated game assets repository, much like DropBox, but just for AGK2 game assets. Could be provided on a monthly or yearly pay basis, and password protected allowing access only to assets that you have paid to place there. This could allow a lot of capabilities for adding paid or free or updated assets to games.
JRNTexas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2015 17:52
I would like to see the ability to change the color of particles on the fly.

Currently you can only "Add" colors to particles, not modify existing colors.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 09:16
I agree that would be useful. I find the particle system too limiting 99% of the time which is why I tend to make my own custom system when I need something new. I use a LOT of particles made as sprites sometimes and don't have much trouble with speed.

Yaro
Years of Service
User Offline
An option for setting up a sprite to use tiling would be great, that way we could use small tiled images in order to fill a large space without needing to implement a bunch of individual sprites. Shouldn't be too hard to implement, either!
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 12:01
^^^ Use one sprite the size of the fully tiled area and scale the UV's.

Simples

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 & 2
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it possible for AGK2 to make internal commands so that the calculations can be performed in double integer/float, for use in Tier 1?
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2015 16:41
They probably are, internally.

<<It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.>> Dijkstra
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2015 02:03
Hi, I don't know if its been suggested or even if its possible already, but I make a ton of TODO's while writing code and all my other dev tools have a way to list or index these TODO's in an easy way

can you please add to the symbols a todo section or indeed another new tab and insert todo markers in code with '// TODO:' or 'rem TODO:', I know there's the scribble thing and handy as it is I'm already well accustomed to putting todo markers in my code above the line or in the section I need to return to, having such markers integrated into the IDE for a quick lookup and locate would make my programing life a little easier while using AGK
PartTimeCoder
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2015 03:05
also, some memory on function folding for closed projects so when I reopen a project with an abundance of functions I have previously folded I have to first fold up all the stuff I'm done with every time I open the project

That being said the session memory of the IDE in general could use a little attention, window placement, size and such, AppGameKit never opens on the monitor I close it on and and never in maximized mode, a few figures in an .ini file would solve this

also one last thing, In any other IDE and most certainly Scintilla based editors to copy the highlighted word/line/block of code I would select it, hold CTRL and drag'n'drop to where I want it copied but AppGameKit seems a bit quricky in its behavior here, I have to select the block, drag and then hold CTRL else I get a system key bleep, I guess AppGameKit is expecting me to click a symbol while CTRL is down because any other action results in the system key bleep, could a check be added to the callback to detect a potential copy operation while the CTRL key is down

^^ sorry if I sound a little picky but just the polish a pro dev IDE should have IMO
Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2015 15:58
Clipboard copying and pasting would be useful additions to the edit box.

James
Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2015 18:15
...and here's another one. An equivalent of the old basic command:

instr(StringToSearch,StringToFind)

Returns the position of StringToFind in StringToSearch.

I know I can code something like this using AGK's other commands, I just think it would be quicker (and execute faster) if it were part of the native command set.

James
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2015 09:28 Edited at: 1st Apr 2015 09:29
Is it possible to make AppGameKit read files/folders in smartphone's memory (in Tier 1)?

It's quite understandable that currently Android doesn't permit any modifications to SD card files, but is it possible to make commands to at least read the various contents in the directories of phone/memory card?

My project progress stopped with a screeching halt due this limitation lol
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2015 17:57 Edited at: 5th Apr 2015 17:59
I've been playing with the tween commands and I must say a massive well done and thank you to Paul for creating them, they are incredibly useful!

However, I do think that they could be improved still further with a few additional commands. (This is for sprites only as I have only been playing with those so far)

SetTweenSpriteScale - We can change the size of a sprite but not the scale.
SetTweenSpriteOffset - Including that would allow sprites to be rotated in a spiral.
SetTweenSpriteUVOffset - Scroll the sprites image.
SetTweenSpriteUV - Being able to tween the UVs to swap the corners would give the illusion of rotating the sprite in 3D.
SetTweenSpriteUVScale - Could be handy, not sure how but you never know.
SetTweenSpriteImage - OK, I'm probably asking too much to be able to blend sprite images but it would be a very handy feature!
SetTweenSpriteFlip - There's no way to tween a flip, it either happens or it doesn't but including the command and the SetTweenSpriteImage command would be helpful to add to a chain.
SetTweenSpriteVisible - Again this is either on or off but again, it's a handy thing to add to a chain, perhaps less so this time because we could just tween the sprites alpha to zero but for completeness ....

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 & 2
Wilf
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2015 14:08 Edited at: 8th Apr 2015 12:57
Good list, Scraggle. I have a similar one for Spine commands:

SetSkeleton2DVisible - right now we have to set alpha values to 0 in a 'hidden' animation and play that. Or relocate it to far-flung x,y coords.
GetSkeleton2DBoneColor - specifically the alpha value. I want to fade in a Spine bone and set a text object with the same fade value at its position.
CloneSkeleton2D - I've started using many spine objects but have to load the .json each time. It's great that they all reference the same pre-loaded image file though.
SetSkeleton2DImage - would be hugely helpful to change this after loading the skeleton.

and a crash bug - AppGameKit hangs when trying to play a Spine animation with 0 frames of animation.

<Edit> another thing - when Spine objects stop animating they stop being updated, meaning they stay at their last position even if repositioned in code.

Twitter: @itanican
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PushdownGame
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2015 14:57
I'd also like some more spine commands for setting individual slot images and getting slot data at runtime such as GetSlotOffsetX/Y and GetSlotWidth/Height.

JRNTexas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2015 22:36 Edited at: 6th Apr 2015 22:44
TRON TROFF

Trace On & Trace Off.

I would like to see TRON and TROFF features added to AGK2.

This would greatly improve debugging by seeing what line number the app is executing at the moment. Using tron and adding my code to checking variables would speed up finding errors in my code.
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 14:16
I'd like to see the possibility of having AGKSplash.mp3 so that music as well as a splash screen could be triggered when the program initialises.

noname34
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2015 16:58 Edited at: 8th Apr 2015 20:01
The AGK2 is excellent for development. I wonder what the weather to work on Windows Phone?
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2015 00:33
Quote: "An execute command for opening files on Android would be awesome... like being able to open a .PDF file through Adobe Reader."

Van, it is possible to open several types of files with the OpenBrowser() command.

You can open text files and pdf files with this command.

This works for me:

OpenBrowser("file:\\C:\Users\Public\Documents\QualxServ.pdf")

assuming that I can already open pdf files with my browser (acrobat reader installed)

That's for windows of course, but if you already had a pdf file in your media folder on android/ios, I'm guessing it would open it as well.

But yeah, being able to open files in their assigned program would be outstanding!
Candiajo
Years of Service
User Offline
Vibration commands, for mobile devices.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 00:36 Edited at: 11th Apr 2015 00:36
Simple request (I hope):
SetTweenSpriteXbyOffset( tweenID, beginX, endX, interpolation )
SetTweenSpriteYbyOffset( tweenID, beginX, endX, interpolation )

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 01:00
Adding to Baxslash's request is something that I hinted at earlier:
I would love to have the ability to add non-tweenable commands to a chain, including sounds.

It would make creating animated HUDs a whole lot more fun!

Commands like:
AddChainSetText( chainID, textID, string, delay )
AddChainSetSpriteImage( chainID, spriteID, imageID, delay )
AddChainPlaySound( chain, soundID, delay )

etc. etc. There's a whole lot of commands that could go into a chain that would make them much more useful.

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 & 2
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 01:24
Those would be great scraggle +1

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2015 10:57
AddChainCallFunction()

My limited knowledge of compilers tells me this would be no small task. But this would allow you to insert your own logic into a chain, including playing a sound (and that sound could be controlled by more complex logic).

TutCity is being rebuilt
Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2015 15:34 Edited at: 13th Apr 2015 15:35
I would like a feature to the debugger added.

When clicking on an entry in the debug log, it would be very useful if the main window would jump to that line number for debugging.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "SetTweenSpriteXbyOffset( tweenID, beginX, endX, interpolation )
SetTweenSpriteYbyOffset( tweenID, beginX, endX, interpolation )"

Same request I had 8 months ago
x3meblue
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2015 16:31
There is the inc & dec commands, but i also wish this in Tier 1 please:

a *= x
a /= x
a += x
a -= x

AGK2 Tier 1 / GameGuru / ProMotion 6.5
zeux
Years of Service
User Offline
GetSpriteHit(x, y)

I would like to see this command extended like this

GetSpriteHit(x, y, layer)

to test sprite hit on only one layer of sprites (for us that use multi layered sprites)

ofc. layer param should be optional
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2015 16:42
Quote: " There is the inc & dec commands, but i also wish this in Tier 1 please:"

That's very unlikely to happen.
At a TGC convention way back when AppGameKit v1 was just a twinkle in Lee's eye. We all discussed how we would like to see commands and operators appear and perform. This was one of the suggestions but Lee was very much against it.

Of course, times change and now AppGameKit is more Paul's baby. So maybe ...

AGK V2 user - Tier 1 &amp; 2
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2015 13:08
I have another request for case statements. It would be really useful to allow (like some other languages) multiple cases for the same condition. For example:

Might be a slight pain in the compiler but it would be SO useful...

Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2015 16:41 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2015 16:43
baxslash: You can already do that. Just separate the cases with a comma.

Like this:
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2015 18:20
Quote: "You can already do that. Just separate the cases with a comma."

Well holy moly. I never knew that! Since when?

Ranietz
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2015 18:54
Quote: "Quote: "You can already do that. Just separate the cases with a comma."
Well holy moly. I never knew that! Since when?"

I think it has always been there. Not sure though...
hakimfullmetal
Years of Service
User Offline
If the 3D commands are being worked on, can it be made so it supports the .x files and its animations too? (as in DBpro)
It would be great if we can port the DBPro assets to AGK.
Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2015 13:17
Porting DBPro assets to AppGameKit would be a godsend - either via a utility which converts them or allowing AppGameKit to load DBP assets natively.

I'm planning to rewrite one of my older projects when the 3D commands are done.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:15:39
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:15:39