Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [Official]Three Keywords Game Jam[July 9th - 16th]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2018 18:35 Edited at: 10th Jul 2018 07:48

As a rōnin coder, with no boss keeping you in line, it's easy to fall into the trap of constantly looking for new challenges and areas to explore, yet never finishing anything. I feel it would be good to commit to a deadline, where I have to have something finished. So, a game jam!

Back when I participated in comic jams, they went like this:

1) Each participant submitted 3 different keywords, which could be pretty much anything: "Goats gone wild", "Roguedislike", "Magenta", etc.
2) Each participant picked 3 random ones. Those are the requirements for his submission.
3) Each participant must publish his submission before [deadline].

So, how about we use that template, but just with games instead of comics?

Back then, the deadline was 24 hours. But jeez, I'm old. I can't jam like I'm used to. How about a week? How does that sound?

itch.io is pretty big on game jams, so it makes sense to host it there! (but if someone doesn't want to bother creating a profile there, they can just publish on this forum)

So, what says you? "yay awesome!" will suffice, but don't hold back on constructive criticism!
IronManhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2018 19:39
Sounds fun, I'm up for it! What would the rules be? Can only use AppGameKit tier 1? Should we start completely from scratch?
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2018 19:55
Awesomesauce! Some thoughts...

External graphics? or all graphics constructed with code? I prefer constructing graphics with code, but it IS time-consuming and not usually very pretty. There are a lot of good looking free graphics out there.

So everyone is to submit 3 words, then what? The organizer (basicFanatic) picks three of the submissions and competitors use one or more of those three as their theme? I'm not clear on what you posted above.

Contest to start when? How about two weeks to gather interest and competitors, then the contest runs the second week of July?

Prize or prizes? Maybe TGC can throw something at the winner. Or somebody could sponsor a prize from the TGC DLC.

@IronManhood - your suggestions - Tier 1 only, start from scratch, make perfect sense!
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2018 20:25 Edited at: 25th Jun 2018 20:26
Rich Dersheimer wrote: "So everyone is to submit 3 words, then what? The organizer (basicFanatic) picks three of the submissions and competitors use one or more of those three as their theme? I'm not clear on what you posted above."

Okay, I try again:
1) Each contestant submits 3 keywords to the organizer (me). Let's say there are 4 contestants, now I have 4x3 = 12 keywords.
2) Using a super-secret algorithm, I randomize those 12 keywords and send 3 of them back to each contestant. Contestant A gets keysword 1, 2 and 3, contestant B gets keyword 4, 5 and 6, and so on.
3) Now each contestant has 3 unique keywords carefully selected by their fellows, which (hopefully) will make a pretty neat game!

By the way, one hard-coded rule will be: Do not try to force some old project that you didn't finish to fit into the jam. Make something new. Other than that, how much you steal from your old code is a matter of personal integrity. In my experience, having 3 pretty random keywords requirements will be enough of a creative obstacle in itself! Graphic constructed purely with code grants you the Golden Potato badge, but isn't a requirement! So just to be clear: no Golden Potato badge if you use Photoshop.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2018 09:29
I'm in, I haven't done anything like this for ages...
Using AppGameKit V2 Tier 1
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2018 10:23
hm, if this will go on by the end of the year, i would check in, but summer is full of activities...
IronManhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2018 14:01
Quote: "hm, if this will go on by the end of the year, i would check in, but summer is full of activities..."

We could do another one at the end of the year.
Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2018 14:39
Quote: "We could do another one at the end of the year."

Fancy!
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 02:31 Edited at: 27th Jun 2018 22:16
Alrighty! I guess those are the rules:

Each contestant shall have submitted 3 keywords to basicFanatic before the competition. They can be pretty much anything: a game genre, a visual style, a peculiar emotion, an old saying, a poem, whatever. Just remember that with the way the jam is organized, you will run the risk of getting one of your own keywords. So try to make something people can work with.

The competition starts on Monday, July 9. Each contestant will retrieve three keywords from the mix, completely at random. Within those constrictions, he will have a week to construct a game completely from scratch. (yeah, I now realize that this was a pretty good requirement!)

Man July 9 Competition starts!
Man July 16 Deadline

Also, I found some pretty neat sprites from an old game which I never got nowhere near finished. (pic attached!) I will see if I can get the sprites ready by the time of the competition, so we have something to play with!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 12:48 Edited at: 27th Jun 2018 12:49
"basicFanatic" wrote: "By the way, one hard-coded rule will be: Do not try to force some old project that you didn't finish to fit into the jam. "

*ahem*.....

"basicFanatic" wrote: "I found some pretty neat sprites from an old game which I never got nowhere near finished."

Using my random company name maker script, here are my 3 random words:
- Rhythm
- Spoon
- Cuddly
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Purple Token - Free online hi-score database
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 14:12
I think you've got your dates wrong. You mention a week but the deadline is 2 days after it starts. If 'Man' is Monday it'll be the 16th.

Quote: "The competition starts on Monday, July 9. Each contestant will retrieve three keywords from the mix, completely at random. Within those constrictions, he will have a week to construct a game completely from scratch. (yeah, I now realize that this was a pretty good requirement!)

Man July 9 Competition starts!
Man July 11 Deadline"

I think I'd buckle under the pressure, even with a week as I've never done anything like this before. Good luck to those that take part. I'd be interested to see all of the words submitted and assigned to each member afterwards.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2018 16:14
I'm up for 9th to 16th but won't have much time so I hope my three words are like "square", "stands" and "still"...
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, the list of contestants so far:
IronManhood
Rich Dersheimer
baxslash
Phaelax
Basicfanatic

And yes, I meant:
Monday July 9. Competition starts!
Monday July 16. Deadline

One super-important thing that I forgot to mention: Your three keywords are TOTALLY SECRET until the competition starts! So send them to me using the message system, and I reveal who gets what keywords on July 9.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: AGK is my friend
Posted: 29th Jun 2018 07:46
Im in
using Phaelax Random Company Name Generator I got 3 random words
1.splendid
2.mouth
3.Creations
fubar
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2018 08:06
Fubark, umm, that sounds like something I'd see on a "different" part of the web lol. Oh dear, I just got Beautiful Chest Games..... I may need to add some filtering to this random script.

Quote: " Your three keywords are TOTALLY SECRET until the competition starts! So send them to me using the message system"

I didn't think it mattered since none of us are guaranteed yet which words we'll get. I PM'd you 3 new words.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

"I like offending people, because I think people who get offended should be offended." - Linus Torvalds
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2018 09:00
Count me in please. 9th to 16th July is good with me. I'll PM 3 words now.
Kevin Cross
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2018 09:46
Quote: "I didn't think it mattered since none of us are guaranteed yet which words we'll get. I PM'd you 3 new words."

I guess knowing all or most of the words up front gives you a little time to think about each one and what you'd do with it if it was given to you.
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
The TOTALLY SECRET keywords are just to make them feel brand new once the competition is on. Otherwise, it might be a bit like "oh, I got that one". At least, that's how my brain works. Anything that I read last week is ancient news.

How many here would be interested in me hosting this as a game jam at itch.io? I mean, it would be pretty silly if I made a game jam there and was the only one submitting to it! :-P (and, if interested, what should it be called?)

People who have submitted their keywords and are officially "IN":
IRONMANHOOD
RICH DERSHEIMER
BASICFANATIC
CJB
FUBARPK
BAXSALSH
PHAELEX
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2018 02:00 Edited at: 30th Jun 2018 02:12
Quote: "Fubark, umm, that sounds like something I'd see on a "different" part of the web lol. "

LOL I was thinking what I could do with the lips as a game too!! not that im likely to get them.
Many moons ago a cousin and I made a game called Man/Woman on the apple it was kinda
a 2d game of do to you before me lol well we was teens and no points for guessing exactly
what or further description given

Quote: " guess knowing all or most of the words up front gives you a little time to think about each one "

Don't think that matters that much as your given 3 words and how well you tie them into
a game together is what counts for example banana massacre and banana eater would
give totally different concepts

Wouldnt worry about your name generator Phaelax its fine just people have to be more
creative and remember its a PG forum and with the recent AppGameKit going to schools for free we
will most likely see more teenagers to the forums
fubar
IronManhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2018 04:50
How will submissions be judged? Furthermore, whomever hosts the jam probably shouldn't submit a game to be judged right?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2018 20:51
We could make it a community vote. Anyone can give a review on submissions, even non-competitors. You can't give a grade for your own game though. Submissions I think we'll start a new thread once we get started and post them there, along with some review/grading criteria.

On a scale 1-5:

- Creativity/Originality
- Word incorporation (how well did the game convey the 3 random words)
- Graphics
- Fun factor

This is just my initial thought. Unless basicFanatic wants to be the judge but I imagine he proposed this jam because he'd like to join as well. I'm sure we could find someone interested in being a judge that didn't want to compete. Maybe Batvink or Moondog
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
The time of the contest draws near! The 24 very secret words are ready! I’m away from my primary PC, so I don’t have access to any of my old code, nor do I have access to my trusty Huawei drawing monitor. This will be interesting.

So, anyone wanna be judge? I could do it, only I want to be in the contest myself.
A community vote could be fun too. The only reservation I have is that I personally would feel a bit weird about rating other peoples creations negatively. I think I would prefer a ”positive only” voting system. Like, each voter could assign two ”badges” to two of the games. ”Greatest Cow Protagonist Badge” or whatever they feel like. The game with most badges wins.

As far as prizes go … uh, so far we don’t really have any. But, I’ll throw in a digital drawing for the winner! So if he wants a title screen, a space ship sprite or something else, I will draw that stuff!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2018 14:35 Edited at: 6th Jul 2018 14:39
How about if people who enter cannot vote?
EDIT: I am happy to provide a PRIZE of one of the AppGameKit Asset packs from here, I will contact Rick about how it can be arranged.
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2018 14:55 Edited at: 6th Jul 2018 15:04
Hey guys and gals, this competition looks like a lot of fun! I'd be willing to judge, I have a 5 category/5 point rating system that would work perfectly for it. Also I'd be willing to throw in a steam code for something like the VR or Shader Pack DLC as a grand prize and throw some forum badges in the mix for the top 3 contestants. I'd like to add one condition though, there must be at least 4-5 entries for me to throw in the DLC prize.

If you guys agree or have a suggestion just let me know. If someone else wants to be a judge, send me a PM or email. You won't be required to provide a prize.

Good luck everyone!

edit: also I you want to create a new thread for the start of the comp, I'll sticky it to the top of the board.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2018 22:10
Rick from The Game Creators has offered the prize I was going to donate - A choice of one the asset packs for AGK!
unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2018 01:38
I'm in! I will PM my words now.
Using AppGameKit v2 T1 + T2
Systems: Primary: Windows 10
Secondary: Mac OS X 10.10
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2018 03:48
Quote: "Also, I found some pretty neat sprites from an old game which I never got nowhere near finished. "

They look pretty neat basicFanatic
fubar
Zen Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Can we get an updated list of valid entrants? I sent a pm with my words, but I'm not sure if I'm entered. Thanks.
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Of course! Here’s the updated list of contestants: (also, big welcome to unlikely!)

CONTESTANTS:
Zen Jones
IronManHood
Rich Dersheimer
CJB
baxslash
Phaelax
fubarpk
unlikely
basicFanatic

I have dropped the idea of hosting this as itch.io gamejam. This forum is where we live and breathe, so it would make much more sense to keep things where we actually are. Hope this is okay with you guys. That said, I think itch.io is a pretty good place to publish your creation.

Great to see JLMoondog as judge! I would feel slightly impartial if I were to be judge and contestant too. I mean, I could try to be impartial but …!
Zen Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been retooling my workstation since yesterday. Really looking forward to this competition.
The following is pure speculation, and letting my mind run down a thought. The following are not contest rules, or suggestions for contest rules, simply my thinking out loud.

Sometimes I think too much, and I had an idea I thought I'd share with everyone. I think... Someone should program a Goblet of Fire for future competitions. The Host company sets up a Goblet of fire, entrants put in their email address, submit their three words, and on the date of the event everyone gets an email with their three words, and the full contest details. Perhaps if The Game Creators host it, in exchange for a DLC asset pack to the winner, the winner submits the game to be included in a special DLC pack of contest winning games.

And I'm just talking out loud here, but there's a couple more things to think about. Most importantly is 'What makes it worth it to the hoster of the contest?' Obviously we're using their product to create a game, but how do they benefit best from the contest?
I see a few options moving forward.
First Option, is that the winner is required to submit source for their game. and that source becomes included in DLC packs where people can see examples of games that won contests before. Except for the following points:
1. The winner has to submit source code, which may contain proprietary code that they don't want to share with anyone. (trade secrets)
2. That source code will likely start showing up in public repertoire as standard in contests. Granted as long as the Hosts are paying attention, they'll be able to see when code is regurgitated.
3. This means that everyone that participates in the contest where source is revealed at the end, runs the risk of exposing code they may not want to share. And if getting a DLC in exchange for that source code, they may not wish to part with code. There might be a sudden upset so don't go printing fliers until the chickens hatch.
4. This levels the playing field for all contestants. Knowing that proprietary code might be shared with the public for free, ('GASP!') participants are likely to not include proprietary code they've written for streamlining their processes in a game. This means that everyone likely will start from scratch, and may use alternate methods to accomplish a frequent goal.
4a. There's always more than one way to accomplish a task when programming. This option will definitely make participants grow in new ways if they desire to succeed in this contest. With any task one undertakes, the opportunity for learning new things increases exponentially as they try and try again.

Second Option, the winner submits source to a game that was created with the software, but with the agreement considered signed by participating in the contest, the source is only accessible by the host, and will not be distributed as source.
1. The host compiles the source into an executable and the winner agrees that the host has all rights to distribute the submitted game compiled, in any format they choose. The hoster can then include the game in promotional materials, or a special DLC of games that were created and won this contest. If this DLC was made available exclusively to people that purchased the software that made the game, ie AppGameKit, This would inherently boost sales of AppGameKit, along with the inclusion of a regular contest to create games with it on a deadline, where the winner can choose a DLC they don't already have, or comparable phrasing.
2. The host also agrees that the winner can take the game further, and distribute it as they please, with the condition that they cannot distribute it at the same level of completion submitted to the host for the contest.
2a. This point here means that the contest will shift focus from creating an entire game in 7 days, to creating a fully functioning demonstration of concept, (Demo Game).
2b. The winner can choose to fully develop the game into it's full potential, and also sell the full game under their banner.
3. No chance that proprietary code inadvertently winds up in public repertoire.

I think there are pros and cons with either option. I'm sure there's more pros and cons than I've put here. But I think I've run all my thoughts on the idea to ground.
I'm sure there's a lot more to discuss on this subject should a host decide to make this a regular thing.
Disclaimer: All of the above is just my own rambling. I have no association with The contest host, The Game Creators, or AppGameKit, other than owning a copy of AppGameKit, and using it frequently.
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 06:39
Quote: "Not long to go before we get the keywords"

Just would like to wish everyone who has entered good luck

There are some skilled coders entering as i can see, Im going to try for the Golden Potatoe Badge lol. Im kinda new to 3D so depending
on what words i get, it will be something in 3D as thats what i have been playing around with lately, if the words permit it, the models will be
created by code if at all possible. I guess if i can make a car for the night driving clone i did with vertex moving it shall be a good challeneg just
to create the objects. but with that said i just might go back to 2D as i can draw better in 2D and 3D i really would have to purchase models
which would be against rules as far as im concerned.

bit anxious about what i get now after my words i chose to give to the selector were ."splendid mouth Creations" lol but keeping it clean that
could be a great pacman clone there are many classic remakes that keywords could replace the entities ie apple computers for a space
invaders etc just throwing ideas out there A so i dont feel so bad and incase people also are wondering what to do when they get their words

fubar
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's your three words! (the name in parentheses is the person who supplied the word!)
The contest is now live!

Zen Jones:
Crash'em (Rich Dersheimer)
Ghost hunt (basicFanatic)
Disc (Rich Dersheimer)

IronManHood:
Empty (Phaelax)
Puzzle (IronManHood)
Chicken Justice (unlikely)

Rich Dersheimer:
Yellow (CJB)
Underwater (basicFanatic)
Cat (Zen Jones)

CJB:
Puzzle (Zen Jones)
Circuit (CJB)
Cave (baxslash)

baxslash:
Plants (Phaelax)
Captain Stochastic (unlikely)
Oops (unlikely)

Phaelax:
Cat (baxslash)
Electric (IronManHood)
Creations (fubarpk)

fubarpk:
Book (Zen Jones)
splendid (fubarpk)
Tunnel (CJB)

unlikely:
A truly strange weapon (basicFanatic)
Learning (Phaelax)
Science (IronManHood)

basicFanatic:
Dizzy (Rich Dersheimer)
mouth (fubarpk)
Solid (baxslash)
IronManhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 11:00
lol... What is chicken justice?
fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 11:21
Quote: "What is chicken justice?"

Have you watched chicken run?
fubar
IronManhood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 11:35
Quote: "Have you watched chicken run?"

No I haven't but I see now..
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 12:31
Electric Cat Creations..... Makes me picture a pikachu.
Tiled TMX Importer V.2
XML Parser V.2
Base64 Encoder/Decoder
Legend of Zelda

Zen Jones
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 13:42 Edited at: 9th Jul 2018 13:56
Can I win by just naming a game that fits my three words that already exists? 'Sometimes Success Requires Sacrifice'.... I didn't make it though... Back to imagination land.
I'd also like to point out that that's 5 words, not three. So I'm going to take artistic license and stick to the nouns, and not the verbs.
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Scraggle, I just asked 3 random people to supply me with a word each. If you're wanna join, the words are:

1) LAMP
2) LAMA
3) EYES
GarBenjamin
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 16:21 Edited at: 9th Jul 2018 16:23
If you create a GameJolt Jam page for this it will serve as marketing for the product. Might even end up bringing in few new users to help grow our community.

Ah I was on vacation 1,000 miles from home. I guess it is done now maybe. But something to keep in mind for next time. If had one of these every month or quarter with a jam page (ideally submitted to multiple sites that track jams) that could be some great marketing targeted to game developers.
TI/994a (BASIC) -> C64 (BASIC/PASCAL/ASM/Others) -> Amiga (AMOS/BLITZ/ASM/C/Gamesmith) -> DOS (C/C++/Allegro) -> Windows (C++/C#/Monkey X/GL Basic/Unity/Others)
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 17:03
I had to look my words up
Quote: "stochastic
stəˈkastɪk/Submit
adjectivetechnical
having a random probability distribution or pattern that may be analysed statistically but may not be predicted precisely."

Ok, I am re-ordering my words as they make no sense. My game will be called (nearly making sense):
"Captain Stochastic - Oops Plants!"
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 18:21 Edited at: 9th Jul 2018 18:22
Quote: "Can I win by just naming a game that fits my three words that already exists?"

No, that will sadly not work. The way I'm going to grade the games is with a category system, with each category allowing you to earn up to 10 points. As for the random words, each of the words is it's own category, depending on how well that word was implemented into your game and making it almost 50% of your total score. I hope that helps everyone in designing their game around the theme!
CJB
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 19:44
Puzzle Circuit Cave... puzzle circuit cave....
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 20:05
basicFanatic
Years of Service
User Offline
Welcome! Yes, I meant "Llama". (It is spelled "Lama" in Danish, so it's easy for me to get confused here.)
puzzler2018
User Banned
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 21:25
What is this game - give 3 words and something at the end of it generates three random words and if we are exact - we win.

here is mine

1. rock
2. contradiction
3. standard

what now
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2018 21:52 Edited at: 9th Jul 2018 21:53
Started my game

Attachments

unlikely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 00:57
Baxlash - ooh, sorry you got two of mine. Look at them as inspiration... instead of literal?

Puzzler2018 - take a look at the first few posts. Essentially, you submit three words, then get assigned three randomly from everyone else’s. Those become your inspiration / theme for a game you write over the next week! A little late to submit words, but if you want to participate, maybe the judge(s) (JLMoondog) or host (basicFanatic) can assign you random ones?
Using AppGameKit v2 T1 + T2
Systems: Primary: Windows 10
Secondary: Mac OS X 10.10
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 01:15 Edited at: 10th Jul 2018 01:15
Here's a sneak peek. Can you guess how I've already used "Underwater", "Cat" and "Yellow"?

Attachments

fubarpk
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2018 03:06 Edited at: 10th Jul 2018 03:09
Love the sub Rich Dersheimer

Looking good baxslash

keywords given "Book Splendid Tunnel"

A screen shot of mine doing the intro. It starts off as a book turning pages until game starts

fubar

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:59:32
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:59:32