Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / CodeSurge -- DarkBASIC Professional IDE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 09:51
Perhaps an "editor keywords" function. That would be really helpfull, especially for those learning new plug-ins.

And also, I don't know if this is possible but what about the ability to choose a color from a palette, and have an "enable/disable" image thumbnails thing? Those would be amazing! Very good work so far, i have created numerous small projects and all seems to be fine.

Game Developer!
http://www.freewebs.com/geniesoftware/gamedeveloper
Be Ruler of your World...
Zerk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2006 23:50
That is a great idea. But instead of highlighting code, why not add a book marking like the C++ IDEs have? I find it VERY useful.

Also, H cant use your IDE because it wont let me save. When I edit, the save buttons never enable. Is this by design or a bug?

Keep up the good work!

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do. ~Hal-9000
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 00:12
Quote: "Also, H cant use your IDE because it wont let me save. When I edit, the save buttons never enable. Is this by design or a bug?"

That's really odd. The only way the buttons should ever be disabled is if you close all the tabs or the entire project. I haven't ever had any trouble saving, and no one else has mentioned it, so I don't know what's going on there. It's certainly not by design. Make sure you downloaded the latest version.
Actually, I just noticed that if you open a project, then close all source files, you can't save any files unless you reopen the project. I just fixed it while typing this message. For now, just don't close all the tabs and you should be fine.

Quote: "and have an "enable/disable" image thumbnails thing?"

Not sure what you mean by the image thumbnails thing. Care to explain a bit more? I understand what you mean by a color picker, and will have one in the IDE soon.

Quote: "why not add a book marking like the C++ IDEs have?"

It's actually there, just not documented yet. You can add a bookmark on any line by pressing ctrl + shift + [number 0-9]. You can then jump to these bookmarks by pressing ctrl+[bookmark number]
I'll add some commands into the right click menu so you can more easily do it.

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.
ZKAT8IT
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nice IDE hyrichter. I was writing one myself, which kind of resembles yours, but I didn't know about your IDE till last night. I think I'll just use yours, lol. Oh, I know you said that it doesn't save the Editor Colors yet. But I had another problem with them, when I went to change the background color for the symbols it keeps changing the background color to the same as the forecolor of the symbols.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 04:53
Oh, I definitely want to associate .dbpro files with the editor.

Come see the WIP!
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 05:29
Bad news guys. I had this update almost ready to go, just a few last tweaks, and well, it looks like either my computer's motherboard or CPU or both crapped out on me. I just hope that all the data is still there on my hard drive. I have a backup, but it's from a couple builds ago. Teaches me to backup the source more often.

Anyway, so it'll probably be the middle of the week before you can get the update.

Quote: "when I went to change the background color for the symbols it keeps changing the background color to the same as the forecolor of the symbols."

Yes, I know and I had it fixed in the build on my other computer.
Quote: "Oh, I definitely want to associate .dbpro files with the editor.
"

Once I get my computer running again, I'll see if I can get this into the update.

Joe Cooning
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 19:16
Great IDE! Sorry about your computer, my laptop with most of my projects crapped out on me. It should be back this week, but I feel your pain.

Zerk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2006 20:38
Quote: "Bad news guys. I had this update almost ready to go, just a few last tweaks, and well, it looks like either my computer's motherboard or CPU or both crapped out on me. I just hope that all the data is still there on my hard drive. I have a backup, but it's from a couple builds ago. Teaches me to backup the source more often."

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do. ~Hal-9000
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, I just realized I asked the same question twice about folding the code lines, heh, sorry! I think I reviewed the topic to see if you had replied to my question, and I ended up not even seeing my question. I thought I neglected to post it the first time, so I posted again. My bad. And I haven't downloaded it because I have been busy lately, sorry about that. I will though. This looks really nice.

Good luck fixing your computer.

I'm working on a high res photorealistic texture pack. High res as in 7 megapixels, e-mail me with suggestions.

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 10:31
Quote: "Bad news guys. I had this update almost ready to go, just a few last tweaks, and well, it looks like either my computer's motherboard or CPU or both crapped out on me. I just hope that all the data is still there on my hard drive. I have a backup, but it's from a couple builds ago. Teaches me to backup the source more often."

Wow, that sucks... And this is the IDE i'm using to... I think i'm gonna go back up everything i have now... *rushes off to check GD*

-db

Did you ever dream of creating a professional 3d game, easily, and fast? Game Developer
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=84124&b=8
Be Ruler of your World...
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 12:01
I think there's a DBP IDE curse. If you do manage to retrieve the files (I've got my fingers crossed) then the mafia will come break your legs.

Come see the WIP!
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2006 18:09
I've ordered an AMD Athlon 64 3500 and an ECS mobo from Newegg, and they should be here any day. Even if my HD is toast, it's not that much of a loss for me. I have the source for the version you guys are using, so I would've just lost this last update.

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 15:32
Beautiful Editor, only one quarm and that it doesnt seem to remember the colour settings I give it, am I the only one with this problem or is it something that is still on the to-do list?
Thanks man

M.I.A is pending
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2006 17:56 Edited at: 19th Jul 2006 17:57
You're not the only one with that problem. It did save color preferences until I got it to save your layout. I didn't realize it at first, but the docking information was overwriting your color preferences. I've had it fixed for a while, but I'm waiting to get my new CPU and motherboard so that you guys can have this update. It should be here sometime today.

Edit:
Cash, as long as the mafia just break my legs, at least I'll still be able to type.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 18:59
Hey, after getting annoyed at dbp ide giving me an error (for the billionth time) i decided to give yours a try (since blue ide doesnt work) and i really like it sofar, i would really like if you could add some command line auto .dbpro loading feature tho, cause i hate having to browse for my files, and having to just click on the icon for my project to load would be great, and also a previously loaded projects would be nice.

i also had a few bugs with loading .dba files and saving them, i got some meory access violations.

and the most annoying things sofar is the include files, if you load up a few then load the same one again then it starts to overwrite existing include slots and it all gets messed up so i had to manually edit the .dbpro file.

and i have the project windows and stuff docked on the side, and it would be better if you made them go down in a list so that you can actually read which they are, currently i see 3 tabs and only one is named.

Hallowed are the ori.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 20:58 Edited at: 20th Jul 2006 20:58
Ok, I'm back and the update is here! Luckily, all the data on my hard drive was good, and it only required a Windows repair to get it working properly.

Ok, here's a list of what I remembered doing on this update:
Prompts you to save changes when closing.
Fixed a pile of bugs with opening projects/starting new projects giving access violations.
Colo(u)r preferences are now saved.
Icons and cursors can now be added to the project.
Right click menu on the project explorer.
Fixed the foreground/background color error with symbols.
The save buttons are no longer disabled if you close all tabs and then open them back up.
There's a cool new feature in the File menu called "Associate DBP files with IDE"
Added types to the Code Explorer

And that's all I can think of right now. I'm very, very pressed for time right now, so I don't know how soon it will be until I can get another update out. Try this and let me know what you think. I didn't have time to do any real thorough testing of icons/cursors in the project, so if there's any problems there let me know.

Quote: "and the most annoying things sofar is the include files, if you load up a few then load the same one again then it starts to overwrite existing include slots and it all gets messed up so i had to manually edit the .dbpro file."

I did find some odd bugs in the IDE relating to includes. I think I've fixed them in this update, but if I haven't let me know. Please realize that it only works for includes that are added using the IDE, not in code using the #include command. I also fixed(I think) the memory access violations you were talking about.

Quote: "i have the project windows and stuff docked on the side, and it would be better if you made them go down in a list so that you can actually read which they are, currently i see 3 tabs and only one is named."

Now this, you'll have to explain better or give me a screenshot. I'm sorry, but I just don't exactly get what you're saying. Maybe after a little sleep I can understand it, but right now, I don't know what you mean.

Download below please

Attachments

Login to view attachments
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2006 21:38
Oops, don't download that last version. The file association doesn't work properly with long filenames. This one works right.

Attachments

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 04:27
Fantastic editor, the size and speed of the IDE is incredible. Besides all the great ideas people are giving you, I have one small one. Can you add the version of CodeSurge in the about box. This would make it easy to know what the version is in one glance. Version and compile date would be great.

I bought an IDE but, I must say CodeSurge in it's current form works better, at least for me it does. A big plus is I didn't need to install anything else it was up and running in seconds.

Good work
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 06:35 Edited at: 21st Jul 2006 06:44
Hey, this is an image showing what i mean http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6571/untitled1kw3.jpg

, Also i found one other annoying thing, yesterday i spent around 2 hrs trying to figure out why my code wouldent work and im sure i broke the swear filter on the irc , and its due to the tabs in this ide, if you have 'hello$ =whatever()' and the space there is using a tab then the compilter thinks the tab char is a command, if you notice in the default ide the tabs are just 3 spaces, you should use that or remove tabs when compiling to the fullsourcedump.

also auto saving on compile would ne very usefull as i often make small changes and recompile and if i forget to save it then it compiles the old code which is annoying.

also options for things like user defined variables/arrays/types/functions to be syntax highlighted in different colours as this can really help for grammar errors and such(and makes it look nicer )

and im not sure if youve seen notepad++ but it has function/if folding which is very handy so your only working on small bits of code.

If you add all that and cash`s suggestion this will be the ultimate ide .

[EDIT]

New problem, my docked windows docking settings arent saved, and they just appear as floating windows when i rerun the ide.

Hallowed are the ori.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 07:06
Ok, I see what you mean now. I'll look into that when I have a few minutes. That's odd with the tab problem. I have the default settings to convert tabs to spaces anyway. You can also set the tabs to be 3 spaces in the editor settings. Thanks for pointing this out. I'll take a look at that also.

Quote: "New problem, my docked windows docking settings arent saved, and they just appear as floating windows when i rerun the ide."

Oh, crap. I thought I had tested it and both the colors and docking settings were saved, but now color settings are overwriting the docking. I'm going to make two separate settings files then and be done with this problem forever.

Quote: "also auto saving on compile would ne very usefull as i often make small changes and recompile and if i forget to save it then it compiles the old code which is annoying."

If the file is opened, it will compile whatever is opened whether you've saved or not. However, I agree that a save on compile option would be nice.

I'll get the docking windows problem fixed tomorrow morning as I don't have the most recent code on this computer. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 07:45
Quote: ""However, I agree that a save on compile option would be nice.""

This should be an option, I like to try different things and compile to see the results but, I don't want it to save automatically over my code I know works.
ZKAT8IT
Years of Service
User Offline
I appreciate you fixing the saving of the Editor Colors, however, they still don't save the "Active Line Color" and "Background Color" options for the editor window itself.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 15:08
Thanks for pointing that out for me. I'll have it fixed in a little while, as well as fixing the problem where it no longer saves your layout.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 17:31
Ok, sorry about messing up the layout settings in that last update. I believe I have it fixed in this one, so that both your editor colors and layout are saved. At least it worked for me.

Download is attached.

Attachments

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2006 18:37 Edited at: 21st Jul 2006 18:58
Ok, now I know I need more sleep. I finally figured out why it wasn't properly saving the layout/colors. It was because it never executed the code unless you had an unsaved project open when you closed the IDE. I've tried editing attachments before, but it didn't seem to work, so you'll just have to bear with my triple post.

Let me know if I overlooked anything else.

Edit: Oops, just found a bug where the IDE forgets your settings if you launch it by opening a DBP file through Windows (double clicking a DBP file after they've been associated with the IDE.) I'll try editing the attachment and see if it works. I also noticed that project files with spaces still didn't quite load correctly even though a normal .dba file would. Hopefully that's all fixed and I can finally get some sleep tonight.

Edit2: Well, it looks like editing attachments works fine. So this update should be good to go.

Attachments

Zerk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 01:58 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2006 02:01
Thanks Hyrichter! This IDE has me impressed. Good job! So what are your plans for this IDE? Are you going to sell it seperately or are you going to try to negotiate a deal with TGC to replace the current IDE?

But I did notice something. The Code Explorer will not update with new functions and such when you open a file from the Project Explorer.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 05:56
Hi hyrichter-

I'm not sure if you did anything but it looks like "as integer" and others are colored now. One weird problem I saw is that all the letters seem to work except x/y/z for variables.

so:

local a as integer

works but

local x as integer

does not. Is this something you can fix?

Oh and can you include the keywords for...next repeat...while, etc (basically all control logic) to be its own category for coloring? That would be awesome.

Excellent work so far!

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 07:25 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2006 07:27
I haven't done anything with the highlighting code since about the time I first posted this.
Quote: "One weird problem I saw is that all the letters seem to work except x/y/z for variables.
"

That's really odd. I wonder if it thinks it's part of a command that isn't typed in all the way or something? I noticed it didn't work correctly with "w" either. It's something I can fix, but the highlighting code is very very complex, especially with DBP's multi-word keywords. The matter is even more complicated by the fact that you have keywords that can also be parts of other keywords. For example, you would want to highlight "Make object" and you would want to highlight "make object cube", but just "object cube" or "cube" shouldn't be highlighted on their own. Very, very, very tricky stuff to get it to work right and still be fast.

Quote: "Oh and can you include the keywords for...next repeat...while, etc (basically all control logic) to be its own category for coloring? That would be awesome."

Yes, I've had this on my list for a while, but as I said, syntax highlighting isn't my favorite area of programming.

Quote: "So what are your plans for this IDE? Are you going to sell it seperately or are you going to try to negotiate a deal with TGC to replace the current ID"

Right now, I'm just giving it away for free. I really don't plan on selling it, and I'm actually considering releasing the source code for it. I've had things come up where I don't have as much time to work on it, so I don't think I could support it well enough to sell it. Besides, I'm not really hurting for money. I'm doing this just for fun and to keep my programming skills sharp.

Quote: "The Code Explorer will not update with new functions and such when you open a file from the Project Explorer."

Click on the editor and they should update.

Grismald
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2006 23:13 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2006 18:01
Thanks for this awesome ide ; i have one complaint though, when I press F1 for help on one command it brings up the index menu instead of the command help

EDIT: BTW, function folding would be a nice feature to have

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2006 09:33
Well ive been using the ide for a few days now and i love it ,

The include file scrolling button should be on either side, as that would only make sence, and i think i have a little bug cause in my code i just got 'error couldent load.... at line...' and the ide didnt point me to that line and since its in one of my includes its kinda annoying to find it. Also all my includes were open if that effects anything.

Anyways great ide , hope you finish it off and it replaces the default.

Hallowed are the ori.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2006 10:26 Edited at: 24th Jul 2006 10:27
This editor is good enough that you won't really need to support it. An editor like Synergy needs major support because it sucks complete ass, and nobody can get it to work correctly. Really, this is like beta testing. Pretty soon all of the bugs will be worked out. I think you should sell it. Either that or just work out a deal with TGC for this to become the standard IDE.

One thing that really hurts DBP is the editor. I was trying to get a friend of mine into it, but he just couldn't stand the editor. An editor as fast and stable and small as this is just what they need.

Come see the WIP!
Joe Cooning
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2006 18:55 Edited at: 24th Jul 2006 19:00
For some reason the IDE says that it can't find my DBPro Compiler. I put your ide in the Dark Basic Folder, but it's not working. Any ideas?

Edit: Oh yeah, if it helps, my DBPro is the Online version, so the files are under "\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional Online\"

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2006 19:05 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2006 17:28
Quote: "The include file scrolling button should be on either side, as that would only make sence"

Sorry, but I just don't get what you by that. Must be the lack of sleep again.

Quote: "i just got 'error couldent load.... at line...' and the ide didnt point me to that line and since its in one of my includes its kinda annoying to find it."

It's most likely the compiler giving you the wrong line number. If you have any comments inside of case statements, it throws the compiler off 2 lines for each comment. See this bug report:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=82485&b=15
I'm not saying it can't be a bug with my IDE, just that it's more likely the compiler is giving you the wrong line. Wait a sec, are you talking about a compiler error or a runtime error? The IDE only highlights compile time errors, so if you have an image or something that can't load, that wouldn't be highlighted by the IDE.

Quote: "For some reason the IDE says that it can't find my DBPro Compiler."

Did you install DBP normally or just copy it over from another computer? The IDE looks in your registry for your installation, so it doesn't matter where you put it on your computer as long as you have the proper registry entry. You can create the entry manually, and don't be scared of the registry. It's really not as bad as some people make it out to be.

Open regedit and Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE and add a key called "Dark Basic". Then create a subkey called "Dark Basic Pro" and add string value to it named "INSTALL-PATH". Set the value of "INSTALL-PATH" to your DBP install path (something like "C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional") Make sure you don't put a backslash on the end of the path. That should fix that problem for you.

Edit: I also have the online version of DBP, so that's definitely not the problem.

Joe Cooning
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2006 20:19
That was interesting. I went into the registry, and it had a Dark Basic folder and such with info like the registration key, but not an INSTALL-PATH. Not sure why. I added it in and it all runs fine now. Thanx!

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 20:31 Edited at: 26th Jul 2006 20:33
Quote: "Right now, I'm just giving it away for free. I really don't plan on selling it, and I'm actually considering releasing the source code for it. I've had things come up where I don't have as much time to work on it, so I don't think I could support it well enough to sell it. Besides, I'm not really hurting for money. I'm doing this just for fun and to keep my programming skills sharp."

Gosh please don't dump the project! This is a very good editor, and by its simplicity of design (and avoidance of extraneous gui goodies) is one that should be easily supported. Since you're not selling it, nobody can make demands for updates anyway. But I understand about real life, so whatever works for you.

I know you're not into syntax highlighting but for some reason I am infatuated with it (I like pretty colors and shiny objects). So as long as they're on some list of yours I'm content to wait. As long as they're placed above Skins or whatever other useless cheese people want added.

Keep up the good work!

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 21:31
Quote: "Gosh please don't dump the project!"

I never said I was. I just don't have as much time to work on it as I did the last few months. I'll keep working on it as long as I can.

Quote: "
I know you're not into syntax highlighting but for some reason I am infatuated with it (I like pretty colors and shiny objects)"

Good fast syntax highlighting is an absolute must for me as well. It's just the programming of it that's not my favorite thing. But yes, more syntax highlighting options is definitely way higher on the list of priorities than something like a skin browser.

Glenn Carter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2006 21:56
This is a really good IDE, in fact the best of the current crop - I hope you don't let it falter because DBP really needs your IDE...but...I appreciate an IDE is hard work and its surprising how much time it ends up taking up with people asking for help and fixes and so on. It helps if you don't assume you have to fix every little thing that is requested of you - thats where my editor stopped - it all became too much.

These have probably been mentioned before but I just wanna agree with a couple of requests.

1. F1 help - that really could do with linking up with what keyword your cursor is on.

2. Please Please Please - some kind of contextual status line showing arguments of the keyword your cursor is on would be great. I use it all the time because I keep forgetting the order arguments go in.

3. Its a pain finding the line from a compiler error - the compiler says cannot load object on line 1839 - and what I have is 10 includes of about 2-400 lines. Normally I would have to search through each source counting the number of lines, but it occurs it would be a good thing to have in an IDE - a tool for FIND LINE NO that looks over your entire project and not just the source code you are looking at.

4. Some tools for picking color codes and scan codes would be genuinely useful in the IDE.

Glenn Carter
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 17:04 Edited at: 28th Jul 2006 17:05
Quote: "1. F1 help - that really could do with linking up with what keyword your cursor is on.

2. Please Please Please - some kind of contextual status line showing arguments of the keyword your cursor is on would be great. I use it all the time because I keep forgetting the order arguments go in.

"

Yeah, if you implement these features, I will start using your IDE instead of the standard IDE.

Quote: "3. Its a pain finding the line from a compiler error - the compiler says cannot load object on line 1839 - and what I have is 10 includes of about 2-400 lines. Normally I would have to search through each source counting the number of lines, but it occurs it would be a good thing to have in an IDE - a tool for FIND LINE NO that looks over your entire project and not just the source code you are looking at.

4. Some tools for picking color codes and scan codes would be genuinely useful in the IDE."

These would be useful as well. I believe that re faze has made an algorithm that can be used for calculating the real line number.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 18:07
I'm working on the context-sensitive help right now, so that will be in the next update as well as function parameters. As for errors and line numbers, it does jump to the error line on a compiler error, but not a runtime error. I posted in the DBP forum to see if anyone knows how to capture a runtime error so that I can do the same with runtime errors. In the meantime, I'll just add this feature:
Quote: "a tool for FIND LINE NO that looks over your entire project and not just the source code you are looking at.
"

Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 19:16
Sounds really really nice. When do you expect this update to be ready and uploaded?

sneaky smith12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 20:14 Edited at: 28th Jul 2006 20:29
Why not something that automatically detectes updates.

[Edit]
No RGB picker i no im being picky but i liked that even if i can open paint up.

If at first you dont succeed, LOWER YOUR STANDARDS.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 21:30
I'm not sure when I'll have the next update ready, but it looks like it will be about 2 weeks.
Quote: "Why not something that automatically detectes updates."

A good idea, but probably won't happen until I bother myself to make a website.
Quote: "No RGB picker"

This is quite high on my priority list and you will probably see it in the next update.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 21:38
Just make sure you dont add too much crap, tidy them into the dropdown windows bits, and while your at it remove the useless image/buttons for save/load and whatever, cause i never use those buttons and they just waste a line of code if you must have them put it on the dropdown list menu.

Also one slight annoyance, when you select to open all source files, this can take around 5-10 secs depending on ammount of includes/lines im guessing this is due to syntax highlighting, wouldent it be more efficient to only update highlighting for lines that are in view? or perhaps only scan 50lines per sec or so.

Hallowed are the ori.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 22:08
Are you saying you don't like the toolbar?

As for the slow loading of includes, it actually has very little to do with syntax highlighting. It's Windows being a bitch about MDI child forms. Windows insists on creating them non-maximized and then maximizing them. You'll notice on a lot of editors that when you go to open a file, you'll see the window created at a smaller size, then it will maximize itself. Well, I finally got it to not show the window maximizing (by locking the window repaint for a while), but it's still doing it in the background and then updating the screen. This is where the delay comes in. I worked with it some more and finally tricked it into doing it quickly without waiting for it to maximize the window. I have to design the form non-maximized, then maximize it the first time through code (locking the window refresh). Then after that, each window loads up quickly. Anyway, the next update will have this fixed (It's already fixed on my computer). I just tried it on the open source FPS project, and it loads up all 35 or so files in about 2 seconds or less.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 01:30
Sweet this is awesome.

Small request you could slip in among the toolbar icons. Could you put in an icon to load all the source files in a project? I always like working with all source files but tired of going into menu to do it. Or maybe just a shortcut. Thanks!

sneaky smith12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 04:04 Edited at: 29th Jul 2006 04:09
in support of CodeSurge I'm going to finish my first project using it.

if anyone wants to look at the forum for it please.
Great work your doing there hyrichter
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=84883&b=8&p=0

[edit]
Also hyrichter
one thing that has always annoyed me was in the if...then statement then doesnt turn blue, i think it does the same thing on a few others i know it did this in DBP, but could you change it. ( if you go one basic version back to QB it registers it as a keyword. don't ask me how i no this i wont admit to it.)

If at first you dont succeed, LOWER YOUR STANDARDS.
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 13:49 Edited at: 29th Jul 2006 13:53
Uhh, you can just add keywords yourself. Just open up Keywords.ini located in .../DarkBASIC Professional/Keywords/.

The syntax looks like this :

command to be highlighted = help file.htm(I just wrote '.htm', I think you can leave it blank) = Parameters

so I believe 'then' would look like :

then = =

@hyrichter

Aww, two weeks is a long time. But I'm looking forward to it

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 19:44 Edited at: 29th Jul 2006 19:51
Hyrichter, I downloaded the latest version of CodeSurge last night and I must say... OUTSTANDING JOB! It has come a long ways since my first comments on it and I have now officially dropped darkbasic's default IDE in favor of yours. I will finish my 3D editor in your IDE and many other projects which are to come! Keep up the magnificent work bud.

The only suggestion that stands out ot me is in the code explorer on the right to maybe have subs listed as well.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2006 23:48
@hyrichter--

Wow! This is very impressive! When I downloaded and unzipped the proggie I was thinking something was wrong as there's just one single executable. Well done!

One thing that's a small bug (and it may have already been mentioned) is the Labels tree adds my case statements to its list. Not a big deal of course

Good job!

"I understand creative people. After all, I worked with towel designers." - Ray Kassar, former head of Atari
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 20:13
Thanks for all the comments guys. If it wasn't for all your suggestions and comments so far, it wouldn't be nearly as good as it is now, so thanks.

Quote: "The only suggestion that stands out ot me is in the code explorer on the right to maybe have subs listed as well.
"

You mean the ones that are listed under labels?

Quote: "the Labels tree adds my case statements to its list. Not a big deal of course"

You're absolutely right and I never even thought of this before. The parsing routine for parsing functions, types and labels is very basic right now and I have to admit I didn't put a lot of thought into it. I was hurrying to try to get an update with a code explorer and didn't have time to do a thorough job of parsing your code. I will work on it and improve it someday.

Thanks everyone. I'm getting really close to what I can consider a version 1.0 so keep the suggestions coming.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:21:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:21:08