Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / CodeSurge -- DarkBASIC Professional IDE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 18:43 Edited at: 13th Aug 2006 18:46
Hi hyrichter,

The new update works just fine here

Also, I have a feature request for you. I don't know if it has been mentioned before, so I'm just gonna ask.

It would be awesome if you could put a little star(*) in the taps if they haven't been saved. Like in C++. If a change in the source code happens since the last save on the code, the codes tab will show a little * to the right of it. This way it would be easier to see what source codes in your project you have saved etc Then, when you save it again, the star dissapears until next change.

[EDIT]

Just figured out that the black x in the tabs change to red if a change happens... Whops.

[/EDIT]

Cheers.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 18:53
Whoops, I just realized that it still deletes two media files each time you remove one. I edited the above attachment to fix it, so if you downloaded before I posted this message, it would be good to download again.

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 18:54
building on the idea of the nerd:
when you are writing and haven't saved, the new lines will be yellow or whatever so you can easily see what have been changed since the last save. that would also be neat, not very usefull though.

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 19:06
Quote: "when you are writing and haven't saved, the new lines will be yellow or whatever so you can easily see what have been changed since the last save."

Actually, I think I would find that rather annoying. If this feature should get implementet, I sure would like it to be optional!

Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 19:12
With the margin colour, i meant.
I change it from silver to red, i press ok, nothing changes so i reopen and it still says its silver.

Not sure if these have been mentioned but how about an Open recent projects thing, so i can quickly continue working after i closed it.

Function folding, also not a biggy for me but it would be nice.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 20:12 Edited at: 13th Aug 2006 20:20
Quote: "With the margin colour, i meant.
I change it from silver to red, i press ok, nothing changes so i reopen and it still says its silver."

Click the checkbox that says "Right Margin Visible." and then it'll work. I should've disabled changing the color while it's not visible. Realize that this is for a right margin line, so you can line up your code to 80 characters or whatever (so it'll print nicely). I personally hate it, but some people seem to like it so it's there. To change the gutter colors on the left, change the gutter start and end colors.

Quote: "Not sure if these have been mentioned but how about an Open recent projects thing, so i can quickly continue working after i closed it.
"

That's very, very high on the priority list.

See my other 50 posts or so about function folding. It's a nice theory and may someday make it's way in there.

Edit: Line coloring for saved/unsaved lines...Delphi 2006 does this, and it doesn't really annoy me. There's just a vertical yellow line by what's been unsaved, and when you save, it turns green.

And now you get to see a little of the CodeSurge code.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 20:47 Edited at: 13th Aug 2006 21:04
I don't know if you're able to do this. But I've noticed that the parameter list pops up if you write commands in comments. I think it should ignore commands in comments, if it's possible to fix this.

[EDIT]

I've also found a problem with the parameter tip window that pops up. Sometimes it seems like it duplicate the parameters two times. Take a look at this picture:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/catnerd/codesurgepicture.jpg

It's in a link because I was too lazy to scale it down...

As you can see, it's the same parameters, just duplicated.

Or does this happen if there's multiple options for the parameters?

[/EDIT]

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 21:14 Edited at: 13th Aug 2006 21:14
Quote: "But I've noticed that the parameter list pops up if you write commands in comments"

Yes, I know. It's on my todo list to get this fixed.

Quote: "Or does this happen if there's multiple options for the parameters?"

That's right. Those are what's known in other languages as "Overloaded" functions, meaning they can take more than one set of parameters. That's not a bug at all. It's showing you all the possibilities for correctly entering parameters. Try Set Object for a real good example.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2006 22:41 Edited at: 13th Aug 2006 22:42
Hy:
I just gave your IDE a try and I love the correct display of errors It's also really easy to set up. And FINALLY I see an IDE that do a good tool tip for the commands

1 thing I noticed was that after I closed down the Project Manager and Code Explorer windows I was unable to open them up again through the View menu. I had to delete the settings file to get them back.

Another thing, when they are minimized to the side the tabs stack up on top of each other. I think it's much better if we can read the names, it's not like there's not enough room.

I'm also going to put in my vote for a quck implementation of a "Recent Projects" sub menu in the File menu, just like the original DBP IDE. As my own project uses 2 programs and sometimes I create test programs on the side I really use this feature quite often.

So far I think I'll be using your IDE to develop my game creator Simple Game Toolkit

Simple Game Toolkit - Game creation made simple!
Visit my website here or my forum and blog here.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 03:19 Edited at: 14th Aug 2006 03:24
Another thing, I'd like an option to have the source file tabs under the code, that's where I feel most comfortable having them. They should also not be above/below the project explorer etc but only above/below the code window if you ask me. Just add a right click menu to it with 2 options: "Place at bottom" and "Within code space". And one of those black is added in the menu when the option is activated.

Also, why do the project explorer etc have the name displayed twice? The grey name bar really is all that's needed.

Game creation made simple!
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 07:23 Edited at: 14th Aug 2006 07:24
Hyrichter-

I know people have said this already but maybe you're not sick of hearing it yet... This IDE kicks major bootie!!!

A small nuisance of a problem is that when you are selecting text the "line highlighter" (to show what line cursor is on) is also highlighted. When dragging selection down it's hard to see that line as being selected. Should be removed when selecting stuff?

Tiresius's Wishlist For CodeSurge Functionality
A "Load All Files" button in toolbar, or option in preferences to do it upon startup
Syntax highlighting for the following items:
..... for...next, if...then, repeat...until, etc etc.
..... User functions
Character to be definable for line continuation (usually a _)
Dockable help window, which can update itself based on what command the cursor is on.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 07:59 Edited at: 14th Aug 2006 08:00
I noticed that tab length isn't saved, it also is different for each file. This is really annoying especially since DBP's IDE have 3 as standard length and this IDE have 4. Please fix this ASAP

Another feature that would be nice if added later is nest lines:

A bug I found, it's really a DBP bug I think. But if an error occurs with user defined functions then your IDE highlights the wrong line (better then DBP's IDE though).

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 08:54
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I should be able to put a little more attention to the interface area of things now that I've got most of the functionality I've wanted for this IDE.

@Dead Glory,
Did you use the latest update I posted. I thought the last update I posted saved your tab settings. Let me know if it doesn't.

Quote: "A bug I found, it's really a DBP bug I think. But if an error occurs with user defined functions then your IDE highlights the wrong line (better then DBP's IDE though).
"

My IDE highlights the line the compiler gives it. Make sure you don't have any comments inside of select statements as they throw the compiler off 2 lines for each comment. There may be other things that mess up the error reporting, but that's the only one I know of.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 11:28
Hy:
I must have downloaded just before you updated and got the versions mixed up. Tabs works fine now

Ah, maybe that's why I get wrong lines sometimes, thanks for the info.

So I'm hoping you add a recent projects sub menu next

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 13:53
Could you force the ide to open windowed/fullsize and as the active window, cause on countless occassions it just starts minimized and doesnt do anything, which is fairly annoying.

Hallowed are the ori.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2006 20:25
If you are going to add function folding, could you add a command such as:
rem guncode(
<code for controling gun>
rem )end

so that if you finish writing code for the gun, you can minimize it, and just show the line:
rem guncode()
highlighted in grey or something.
Just like function folding, but for any code that you want to fold. They would not show up for the compiler, because they begin rem.
I've seen this before, in a programming language (can't remember which one) and found it really useful.

There are three types of people, those that can count and those that can't.
Euphoria
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 01:25
Just a small minor bug.

If you do an inline if/then it doesn't highlight the 'then'.

eg:

if a = 10 then print "hello"

'then' doesn't get highlighted.

Plus a small feature request. Is it possible to highlight matching braces? This Can be useful when you have complex formulae or multiple function calls on the one line.
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 02:28
Highlighting the braces or marking them with superscript or something would be REALLY useful. I hate counting braces

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 10:12
@hyrichter -
Hey, I know how hard it is working with DBPs crazy keywords. The context sensitive help is a bit quirky. Maybe an easy work around would be allowing us to highlight the command, and the editor uses the selected block as a full command when it looks it up in the help files. I would be perfectly happy selecting commands to use the context sensitive help.

Come see the WIP!
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 13:43
Quote: "Could you force the ide to open windowed/fullsize and as the active window, cause on countless occassions it just starts minimized and doesnt do anything, which is fairly annoying.
"

I've never had it do this to me before. Any way you could figure out when exactly it happens? Make sure your shortcut isn't set to start it minimized.
Quote: "rem guncode(
<code for controling gun>
rem )end"

I'll take a look at doing something like that if I ever decide to do code folding.
Quote: "Highlighting the braces or marking them with superscript or something would be REALLY useful."

Being worked on.

@Cash Curtis II,
Not a bad idea there. Can you explain exactly what's quirky about it? I assume you're talking about commands like "set text font". If your cursor is on top of "text" and you hit F1, are you supposed to get help on "text" or on "set text font." That example there should give you help on "set text font."

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 14:17
Hmm... I've been testing it more closely. Moving it around on the commands usually does help. I was trying to do this...

Quote: "if sound exist(i) then"

It seems to work the same in an in-line if...then statement. It only gives help on the If. I'll play around with it some more and report back.

Come see the WIP!
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 19:30
I'm going to have the context sensitive help use the same routine that the parameter tooltip use. That way if you're in the middle of a function and hit F1, you'll get the help on the function you're typing parameters for. Shouldn't take long to do.

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 20:18
Hey Hyrichter, I love your work so far. Outstanding job, why hasn't this been stickied?

Anyways, here is a small thing that I have noticed when using the IDE:

when you use '`' or 'rem' followed by a colon ':', it detects it as a subroutine and places them in the labels section of the code explorer. Example:

'rem use the arrow keys to modify the angles:'

results in a label named 'rem use the arrow keys to modify the angles'. Not a big deal, but I thought I would bring it to your attention.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
ThinkDigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2006 23:48
Another idea, perhaps, it to provide a way to pass a string of command line parameters to the compiled EXE. Parameters come in handy for applications and sometimes games.

Great work so far.
And yes, why hasn't someone stickied this?

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 00:52
It's so good, that it's hard to think of ideas for improvement!
Hmmmm

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, Im really impressed! Great work!

1) When you close previously opened project code explorer is not cleared fully. Types are leaved there as they where and if you click on them an error box is displayed but the program didnt crash.

2) Two (like default ide) or four split-source code windows would be cool too.

3) Code bookmarks and toggle breakpoint commands are missing too.

"Error at line 0 - Your game sucks. Try again loser..." (Cash Curtis II)
AMD Sempron 3.1+ Ghz, 512MB Ram, ATI R9550 256MB Ram, Sound Blaster Live!, WinXP SP2, DirectX 9.0c
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 01:23 Edited at: 16th Aug 2006 02:58
@Oldby,
1. Thanks. I'll get that fixed right away.
2. Window->Tile Horizontal or Tile Vertical. Is that what you mean?
3. Bookmarks are there, I just haven't added the menu commands for them. Use ctrl+shift+[0-9] to set a bookmark and ctrl+[0-9] to jump to it.

Quote: " Another idea, perhaps, it to provide a way to pass a string of command line parameters to the compiled EXE."

Are you talking about command line parameters to CodeSurge itself or the exes built from it? If CodeSurge sees any command line parameters, it assumes you're trying to open a file with it and tries to open it up. That's how the "Open With..." feature of Windows works. If you're talking about your own exes, then you can actually do it by using DBP's cl$ function (I think).

Yes, I agree that a sticky would be cool.

Edit:
How silly of me. I know exactly what you mean, Thinkdigital. You're thinking of an option for "Run with parameters" in the IDE so you can send over the parameters you want to your EXE without having to bother going through the command line. It will definitely get in there some time.

Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Does the IDE have an "autocomplete" feature for commands?

Alos, word wrapping for lines?

~Pulsar Coder
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 08:14
Quote: "Does the IDE have an "autocomplete" feature for commands?"

You mean like intellisense? Not yet. The IDE supports word wrapping, but I forgot to give you an option to turn it on. Thanks for reminding me.
Quote: "when you use '`' or 'rem' followed by a colon ':', it detects it as a subroutine and places them in the labels section of the code explorer. "

Whoops. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to spend a bit of time working on my code parsing functions to work properly with comments. Keep your eyes open for an update in the next few days.

Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 08:31
Great IDE hyrichter. This is becoming my official IDE now but could you add a few things. Could you make it like the offical IDE when you create new projects or source files it adds the name of the project and rems. Something like

Also it seems I cant use backspace or delete on the goto project line or goto line options.

Great job on it hyrichter

Naruto is the ninja...not really

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 08:46
Quote: "Could you make it like the offical IDE when you create new projects or source files it adds the name of the project and rems."

I certainly could, but I'd have to make sure there's an option to turn it off. I like my projects to start out absolutely blank.

Quote: "Also it seems I cant use backspace or delete on the goto project line or goto line options"

Wow, I'm surprised nobody caught that before. The delete key works for me, but backspace doesn't. Well, actually it works for me now because I fixed it. I was trying to make sure you only entered numbers into the input box.

Thanks for the comments everyone. This IDE wouldn't be near what it is without all your feedback, so thanks and enjoy it.

Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, I was referring to Intellisense.

Good to know that the wrapping feature is there. Hope it will be enabled in the next update.

~Pulsar Coder
Ulric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 11:05
Hi,

I've just discovered CodeSurge and it sounds amazing!!!
Though I found a little bug I hope you'll be able to correct.

Here is the layout of my projects folders

Under C:\Documents and Setting\uboel\My Documents\GameDev\DBPro
I have a subdirectory "Framework" containing the file "toolbox.dba". (C:\Documents and Setting\uboel\My Documents\GameDev\DBPro\Framework\toolbox.dba)
I have a subdirectory per project (i.e. C:\Documents and Setting\uboel\My Documents\GameDev\DBPro\test_codesurge\)

When I add an existing file (C:\Documents and Setting\uboel\My Documents\GameDev\DBPro\Framework\toolbox.dba) to my project (C:\Documents and Setting\uboel\My Documents\GameDev\DBPro\test_codesurge\main.dba & C:\Documents and Setting\uboel\My Documents\GameDev\DBPro\test_codesurge\temp.dbpro) and the I try to compile, I get an error message saying:

"I/O error 103".

If I close the "toolbox.dba" file and then try to reopen it by double-clicking on the filename in the Project Explorer, I get another error message saying:

"Cannot open file 'C:\Documents and Setting\uboel\My Documents\GameDev\DBPro\test_codesurge\C:\Documents and Setting\uboel\My Documents\GameDev\DBPro\Framework\toolbox.dba'. The filename, directory name , or volume label syntax is incorrect."

If I close CodeSurge and edit manualy the .dbpro file, replacing the absolute include file path with its relative counterpart and then reload the project in CodeSurge, I'm able to compile without problem!

I hope my explanation is clear enough for you to find and correct the problem!
Feel free to contact me if you need more information.

Ulric

"A cow is not entirely full of milk; Some of it are hamburgers!"
ASUS P4G8X-Intel P4 HT 3.06GHz-1Gb DDR266 Dual
nVidia GeForce 6800GT 256Mb (FW. 91.33) - WinXP Pro SP2 - DX9c
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 11:32 Edited at: 19th Aug 2006 16:50
I bring news from the enemy camp. This is 100% Cash Curtis II, and not associated in any way with CodeSurge or hyrichter.

Quote: "Downloads of Synergy IDE v1.0.3 has been phenomenal over that last couple of days, people are really starting to use Synergy IDE for their projects!"

Come see the WIP!
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 12:29
CodeSurge is coming along nicely and I look forward to seeing it finished. You are doing a gret job so far. It compiles all of my codes ok.

I still use Blue IDE 95% of the time (haven't had any major problems with it as of yet really). I just hate it not being updated anymore and hate how it takes over the clipboard.

I do on occasion use Synergy and don't really have any major problems with it since V1.0.3 came out. It is just kind of bulky for an IDE.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 15:44
Hi Ulric,
Thanks for letting me know about that error. I never tested it with having an include in an upper level folder from your project. I'm sure I can get it fixed, so thanks for the info.

@Cash,

The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2006 16:54 Edited at: 16th Aug 2006 16:57
@hyrichter:

I have a very bizzare problem... If I open one of my existing projects and go into one of the included source files and make a syntax error somewhere, it still compiles fine! Like it's ingoring the error :S Very strange.

[EDIT]

Okay so I just figured out that you need to save before it takes the new changes into account. I think this should get fixed so I takes the new changes into account without the need of saving.

[/EDIT]

Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 01:39 Edited at: 18th Aug 2006 01:39
Quote: "I certainly could, but I'd have to make sure there's an option to turn it off. I like my projects to start out absolutely blank. "

Cool oh and here is another bug if you highlight something like in the pic then push tab it will tab the comment too. Not a big problem just thought I'd let you know

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 02:39
Slayer:
That's not a bug, that's a feature. Really, tabbing works on all lines with any selection and that's how it should work. Just select the lines you want.

Slayer93
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Aug 2006 04:03
Oh really ok then

Gen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 08:47
Found highlighting bug... #Constant and #Include is not highlighted.

Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2, Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, 2048 MB Daul Channeled PC3200 Ram, ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256 MB
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 16:56
Sometimes, when you hit backspace after 2 tabs it gets rid off both the tabs (not always) I have it set to change tabs to spaces

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 18:21
I've noticed that if I have a lot of tabs and then use backspace it takes me back to the same distance as the row above. I think that's a nice feature

One thing I would like to see is when I paste in multiple lines the first line get the same indentaion as it had when I copied. That is, remove the tabs that are on the line where I paste in my new lines. This is how the DBP IDE works and it just saves a bunch of troble not having to redo the indentation on the first line. Did that make sence?

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 19:41
That's easy! Just select from before the tabs of the first line!

Select from the first | to the second | :

That will paste the tabs as well.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 20:18
Yeah, but if I paste that to an indented line the tabs on that line will remain and thus have to be removed.

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2006 21:46
@Diggsey,
I'm not sure right now which settings do what, but you can play around with the editor preferences and see if it works right. I'll look into in more detail later.

@Dead Glory,
I get what you're saying, and I'll have to see what I can do about it. Thanks for the suggestions.

@Gen,
Hmm, they used to be highlighted, but you're right, they aren't now. I'll have to see what I did.

Quote: "Okay so I just figured out that you need to save before it takes the new changes into account. I think this should get fixed so I takes the new changes into account without the need of saving."

Odd. I thought I had it doing that. I probably broke it when I fixed something else. Such is the life of software programming.

Gen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 00:08 Edited at: 20th Aug 2006 00:20
Also, in For x = 0 To 10, "To" is not highlighted.

Edit: And I think I know this was mentioned, "Then" is not highted in an If statement.

Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2, Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, 2048 MB Daul Channeled PC3200 Ram, ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256 MB
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 00:20
hyrichter:
I was thinking, perhaps you should check if the copied lines have any tabs on the first line. Sometimes I and probably others does not select the tabs on the first line and when pasting those lines in the first line should keep the tabs already existing on the line where the lines are pasted to. I hope I'm still making sence

By supporting both people can do as they like and there's no need to set it up in the options. Really intuitive too if you ask me

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 00:34 Edited at: 20th Aug 2006 00:37
BTW, you have no info about your IDE in the help menu or anywhere else. You should brag a little by putting in your name, a link to an official page (or this thread if you have no page) and then include a version number so people can check if they have the latest version or not.

If you don't have a page you could always ask Josh over at Coders Turf for a product page like the one I have. He's on a 2 week vacation right now and I don't know if any of the admins can set up one. But it's something to think about. You can modify your text using a rich text editor (better then a regular forum form) and you can upload, delete, hide or set your files as obsolete. The page also keeps track of the number of downloads and deleted files still have their info available for you. He's gonna create a newsletter service later so you could use it to send out info about updates.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2006 00:50
for some reason, if you have a function called sound() and then do this:
sound as string

the as is not highlighted, when at all other times it is. Also, there are many commands which do not take you to their help file. The bit I like is that it tells you what is required for even a custom function

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 06:03:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 06:03:02