Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / CodeSurge -- DarkBASIC Professional IDE

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 20:23
Well have you fixed the runtime error line thing? the ide doesnt even attempt to point to the correct line so i must view the sourcedump in notepad++ which is rather annoying, surely its just a simple case of addition of lines in the includes until you get to the correct line.

Hallowed are the ori.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 20:49
I haven't been able to get the IDE to detect when a runtime error occurs, so I did the next best thing. I added a feature called "Go to project line #" with a shortcut of ctrl + p. Type your line number, hit enter, and it will take you to the correct line in your project. I'll probably just upload this update tonight so you have it instead of keeping you waiting until I finish the context-sensitive help, keyword parameters, etc.

Good performance is better than a good excuse.
CodeSurge -- DBP Editor for serious programmers.
ThinkDigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2006 23:23
hyricher, this is awesome. Keep up the good work. Despite the fact that many people seem to complain that there are dozens of IDEs for DBPro, I can't find that many working ones.

Are you using C++?

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 02:53 Edited at: 31st Jul 2006 02:54
WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
I invite you to all celebrate with me as the IDE now can detect runtime errors and point you to the correct line, even in your include files.!

I'm the type of guy that doesn't accept "NO" from Windows, so here's you perhaps one of the most awesome updates of all. I was hoping to get context-sensitive help and keyword parameters in, but felt that you shouldn't wait another 2 weeks or so before you have this most important update. Also in this update, I fixed the slow loading of include files.

Just a note about file loading -- it goes faster if you have Windows set to classic view instead of the XP themes view. I don't know why, but in the themes mode, you can still see the MDI child windows being created and it goes just slightly slower.

So, download it and tell me if it has any problems and remember to have fun.

Oh, @ThinkDigital, I wrote this in Delphi, as I've already mentioned about 5 times in this thread.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 03:27
Yippee! Nice one! Cheers mate

ThinkDigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 04:16
Lol, sorry, I just went to the end of the thread after downloading. I have a way of doing that.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 09:48
Wow. Just, wow This thing is awesome.

This has to be the tiniest, but the most useful, program on my computer. Let's compare size to usefulness...

CodeSurge- 1.64 MB. Works great, love it, now my DBP files are associated with this editor.

Synergy - 26 MB. Hate it, glad to have reassociated my DBP files now. If I had accidenitally double clicked a DBP file before, I would wait for forever so Synergy could load and self destruct. Great update John Y!

Quote: "Good performance is better than a good excuse."

Amen

Come see the WIP!
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 19:29
OMGosh, I can't believe I overlooked the 'labels' section in code explorer. Yes, that is exactly what I was talking about. I must not have noticed it change as I went between children dba files within the project.

Thanks

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 20:52 Edited at: 1st Aug 2006 20:52
Be nice if view project folder would show the temp dir the compiled exe ends up in when no project is loaded.

The little side windows have the window name in the title bar and underneath the title bar, it's a bit redundant. Probably a personal thing but an option to turn the gradients off would make it look nicer.

How about using plugin dll string tables for command highlighting? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has several plugins with no ini files. Since everything appart from the help file can be in the string table there isn't any reason you should have to make an ini file.

I miss the status bar from blueIDE. It shows the arguments for the command the cursor is at. Also the Irregular bracket count text can be usefull at times. It doesn't have to be a status bar but some way of getting that information would be nice.

By way of demonstration, he emitted a batlike squeak that was indeed bothersome.
ThinkDigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 21:24 Edited at: 1st Aug 2006 21:24
This is interesting. Look at this I discovered while making a typo the other day:

It thinks exc is part of the number? I agree with the_winch, some way of showing the arguments of the current command would be super.

Attachments

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 21:37 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2006 08:12
Haha, it highlights it that way because it thinks it's a hex number. I just need to tell the highlighter to only highlight decimal numbers to fix that.

Quote: "Be nice if view project folder would show the temp dir the compiled exe ends up in when no project is loaded."

Excellent idea. It stores the temp exe wherever you have CodeSurge installed\Temp. As for the gradients, I see what you mean, and you'll someday get an option to turn them off.

Quote: "How about using plugin dll string tables for command highlighting?"

This is what I want to do, but I'll admit I have very limited knowledge of how dlls and all that work. I've done a little research on it, and it doesn't look at all hard to do; I just need to do it.
Quote: "I miss the status bar from blueIDE."

Me too, and this is what I'm working on right now, along with context-sensitive help. I'm doing the Visual Studio style of tooltip parameters. I'm also going to find a way to do matching brace highlighting. So, please be patient.

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 04:22
can somone explain what exactly this program is used for

hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 06:01
Quote: "can somone explain what exactly this program is used for"

It's an alternative editor for DBP. So, you write your code in this program instead of the one that comes with DBP (which seems to have a bad habit of eating code when it gets hungry.)

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 06:23
hehe cool. can you explain some of the benifits of this VS the normal dbp?

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 06:41
Heres a list of the features just for you!

and inlight of that, the ide is now awsome load speeds for all files are almost instant now, one problem tho if you load the ide in a window its really laggy when opening the file and im not sure if it does anything before you set it to be an active window.

some other minor things like i was trying to paste my project name into the exe filename and project header bits on the project manager but it seems that ctrl+c/ctrl+v dont work and i was just flooding my current sourcefile with my old clipboard contants,

other than that its great sofar and everything else thats needed has been suggested .

Hallowed are the ori.
Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 06:48 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2006 07:21
im sry for asking so many questions

AH HA! i really like but i might switch back do too 1 incy little thing.
there is no tootips! in DBP when you click on a command in the editor at the bottum it says "make object, obj#, xsize#" w/e but it tells you what you need too complete the command. its rly hard too use dbp w/o that cause you dont know what the problem is some times because you forgot too put something in

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 12:07
And hyrichter rises to the upper echelons of the DB Pro community

This is seriously good stuff. I never read IDE threads because they very rarely amount to anything. It was only the mention in the newsletter that grabbed my attention.

Good Stuff - well done!

Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 12:42
Wow. It's clean, smart, and doesn't reek of bugs. You've just convinced me to switch IDE's after 3 years. Great work.

Euphoria
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 13:29
This is great stuff hyrichter!!!

Not sure if this (very very minor) bug has been mentioned:

In the Editor Preferences if you select a font that is NOT fixed width the editor forgets both the font you selected and the fact you removed the 'show only fixed width fonts' checkbox when it is next reloaded...

I'm happy using fixed width (anything else looks confusing) so not really a big problem, I was just playing.

Keep up the fantastic work, I would be happy to pay for this when its completed, so far its the best and most promising editor I've used for DBP (with synergy at the bottom of the poo pile).
Siege1975
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 14:55
This looks excellent, nice work. The jump to line (Inc. includes) is a very much needed feature.

Zizaco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 16:20
A Very Much Needed Feature is: Bookmark!
I know its a simple thing to add, pls include bookmark in next release

Sorry for my bad inglish!
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 17:24
Wow, guys. You make my efforts feel worthwhile. I was just expecting a small mention in the newsletter down in the "From the forums" section, so you can imagine my happy surprise to see it featured as it was.

@Dark Coder:
Thanks for pointing out this bug with the clipboard. It's fixed now. I'm actually surprised no one found the bug where you can't copy/paste text from the helpfiles. It was just a small error with the webbrowser component which was easily fixed.

Sorry that the command parameter feature keeps getting delayed, but I believe it's more important to get these core functionalities perfect while the code is still fresh on my mind.

Quote: "A Very Much Needed Feature is: Bookmark!"

It's there, just there are no menu commands for it. Just hit ctrl+shift+[0-9] to set a bookmark and then ctrl+[bookmarknum] to jump to that bookmark.

Quote: "In the Editor Preferences if you select a font that is NOT fixed width the editor forgets both the font you selected and the fact you removed the 'show only fixed width fonts' checkbox when it is next reloaded..."

Thanks for pointing it out. Another interesting thing I noticed is that it still treats regular fonts as fixed width fonts, so it can look really strange in the editor.

Thanks to all for your help & support.

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 17:25
I can't get it to work, it comes up with an error saying it can't find the dbpro compiler and locks up until I end the process. I think its because my dbp install is a bit screwed but still its not a nice error

Where is the registry entry that holds the dbpro directory btw?
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 17:27 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2006 17:29
I've posted the instructions twice on how to setup your registry entries to get it to work. Just go back a page or two and you should find it.
Edit: Just to be nice, I'll repeat it here:
Quote: "Open regedit and Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE and add a key called "Dark Basic". Then create a subkey called "Dark Basic Pro" and add string value to it named "INSTALL-PATH". Set the value of "INSTALL-PATH" to your DBP install path (something like "C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional") Make sure you don't put a backslash on the end of the path. That should fix that problem for you."

Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 17:43
Ah cheers, didn't see those threads

Its a very nice editor , should definately replace the original
Euphoria
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 18:17 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2006 18:18
This may be a personal thing, but I got a little disorientated where the source tab bar stretches to the left above the docked Project Explorer & properties. I was expecting the tabs to appear left justified to the main source code window.

I suppose I could dock the project explorer and the properties box to the right hand side....that'd solve it

Secondly:

This may have been mentioned, but is it possible to insert breakpoints? I know the DBP debugger is pretty useless at the moment but they may one day actually make it work, perhaps something for the bottom of the list if it isn't already there?

loving this.....
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 18:42
Quote: "but is it possible to insert breakpoints?"

Yes it is. All you need to do is place a ! at the beginning of the line. That's all the other IDE's do, but they just make it look like a cute breakpoint icon.

Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 19:54
um can you please read my inquery above? about the tooltips
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 20:02
I think that's already on his To-do-list.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 20:45 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2006 20:52
Looking good! The newsletter got my attention. There seems to be a lot of IDE's out there. I use BlueIDE at the moment because it is the closest to what I would call perfect.
CodeSurge seems to have some potential but it lacks quite a lot of the refinements needed for me to change over. However, BlueIDE is no longer supported and CodeSurge is.

So, Here is my list of what I believe would make a good IDE into the perfect one.

Auto indenting of loops (Do ... Loop / If ... Endif etc.)

Auto Case-up of predifined variables and labels. Meaning, if I write Global MyVar The next time I write myvar it will be changed to MyVar. BlueIDE already does this with globals, locals and dim's. What it doesn't do is change #Constants, the suffixes of UDT's or function names. The addition of this alone would make me switch IDE's.

Function folding.

List of all functions and labels with the ability to click on one and have the IDE jump to the line that the function/label starts at.

There will be others but this is all I can think of at the moment.

Euphoria
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 21:07
Quote: "Yes it is. All you need to do is place a ! at the beginning of the line. That's all the other IDE's do, but they just make it look like a cute breakpoint icon.
"

Ahh wondered what that is, thanks.

One other thing I thought of:

If you press tab when a section of text highlighted could it indent all the lines highlighted, with shift-tab doing the reverse?

Keep up the good work!
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 21:35
Quote: "If you press tab when a section of text highlighted could it indent all the lines highlighted, with shift-tab doing the reverse?"

Ummm, try it and watch what happens. It's been like that since day 1.

Quote: "List of all functions and labels with the ability to click on one and have the IDE jump to the line that the function/label starts at."

Did you download an older version or something because all that is right there in the code explorer.

Quote: "Auto indenting of loops (Do ... Loop / If ... Endif etc.)"

Kinda far down the list (since it's something I don't care for ) but I'll see about doing it someday (optional of course, if you don't prefer it.)
Quote: "Auto Case-up of predifined variables and labels. "

Again, something that might be nice someday, but I feel there are more important things to tackle right now.
Quote: "Function folding."

This is definitely a big one, but I believe I can work something out. The problem is that the editor control I'm using (SynEdit) doesn't natively support code folding, so I'd have to dig into its source and see if I can do it myself. I already did this for the syntax highlighting, so I am a bit familiar with its source.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 21:44
That's very neat indeed.
Did some quick stress tests that we used for the PlayBasic IDE. The Code Explorer has got some hiccups when it has a lot to do, but other than that it's a very fast and smooth editor.

Oolite
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 00:01
Finally made me switch from the default IDE after so long.

Nice one mate.

I look forward to more updates.
ThinkDigital
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 00:04
Yeah, it sure ought to.

Euphoria
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 01:08
Quote: "Ummm, try it and watch what happens. It's been like that since day 1. "

Um sorry your completely right....tis odd cos I was trying this earlier today and it wasn't doing it (hence the post) maybe it was just me and my fat fingers

thanks
Pulsar Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
This IDE is going great ... one thing for the "TODO" list: concatenation symbols (instead of allowing the user to choose the symbol like "_", symbols like ",", "+", "-", and so on could be considered by default).

Also wrapping of lines.

~Pulsar Coder
Acolyte Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 05:31
one thing that will make me use your IDE is if you add a tooltip bar that will ad the requirements of the command. me want
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 05:51
Quote: "um can you please read my inquery above? about the tooltips"

It's been answered many, many times already. I'm working on it, but it's a rather large task. Be patient for now please. I miss this feature as much as anyone else.

Quote: "concatenation symbols (instead of allowing the user to choose the symbol like "_", symbols like ",", "+", "-", and so on could be considered by default)."

I'd rather something like this be taken care of by the compiler, because it would really, really screw things up even more with the compiler's error reporting. I would have to make the IDE concatenate the lines before sending to the compiler, and then the compiler's line numbers wouldn't match up with what's shown in the IDE and you've got a real mess on your hands. However, word wrapping is certainly something that can be done, and very easily too. I personally don't like word wrapping for programming, but if other people do, I'll certainly let you have the feature.

Quote: "Did some quick stress tests that we used for the PlayBasic IDE."

Awesome. If possible, could I get some of these tests you're using to help tweak performance? Thanks everyone.

JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 05:57
Just tried and it looks neat and works well. Just as advertised. (Sadfully Synergy didn't deliver).

One suggestion, (as a delphi programmer myself) though: I have double monitor setup and the compile window dialog appears for me in between the two monitors. The solution is to set the form "Position" property to poScreenCenter instead of poDesktopCenter.

And one wish I've always dreamed of: A debugger much like the one in delphi, with stepping and all. (just a wish).

Keep the good work.

May the 3d force B with U
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 06:04
Thanks for the tip about double monitors. I never even thought about that. Fixed now.

Quote: "And one wish I've always dreamed of: A debugger much like the one in delphi, with stepping and all. (just a wish). "

Same here. And while we're wishing and comparing to Delphi(good to see other Delphi developers, btw )....it would be wonderful if DBP could compile at even 1/10th the speed of Delphi.

JDforce
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 06:50
Speed compilation is not as critical when developing as debugging.

DBP never stops at breakpoints, at least for me, and with a couple of thousands lines and program preparation, variable inits and all stuff, going step by step is time consuming.

DBP is great, but that would be an addition to the arsenal. I ignore the structure for DBP debugger intefase, but it is probably there. I remember someone from TGC stating that the editor was developed by someone that flew away and that is why they can't touch the editor.

You make it debug correctly, I am willing to purchase when you go commercial.

May the 3d force B with U
Euphoria
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 12:49 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2006 12:52
I'm with you on the debugger JDForce, but I thought this was an internal DBP thing and so couldn't be fixed by an IDE...maybe I am wrong. This is one of my biggest gripes with DBP (as many of my posts highlight), having to write whole debug libraries for a project is quite time consuming and a waste as DBP is advertised as having its own.

Just found one (very minor) problem. I tried to load a project that was very old and seemed to be corrupted in some way. The ide nicely prompted me that it could not load the project, but it wouldn't let me ok the box to carry on (had to end task to exit it).

(see attachment)

great stuff

Attachments

zzz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 14:33
This is a very nice IDE, hyrichter!
I think I found a small bug: It´s not possible to delete included icons. But maybe I´m doing something wrong?
Thanks alot for this IDE!

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 15:36
I just downloaded and tried to run Codesurge and it comes up with an infinite looping error that says it can not find the DBP compiler. [You have to use the task manager to kill it.] Is the program hardcoded to only look in one location? I don't have DBP installed in the default location.
--
TAZ

"Do you think it is wise to provoke him?" "It's what I do." -- Stargate SG-1
sneaky smith12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 15:49
Quote: "Is the program hardcoded to only look in one location? I don't have DBP installed in the default location.
"

Quote: "Quote: "Open regedit and Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE and add a key called "Dark Basic". Then create a subkey called "Dark Basic Pro" and add string value to it named "INSTALL-PATH". Set the value of "INSTALL-PATH" to your DBP install path (something like "C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional") Make sure you don't put a backslash on the end of the path. That should fix that problem for you."
"

This has been answerd 3 times now zircher don't feel too bad, just feel bad enough in which you can sleep at night but i get some amount of pleasure that i know im more observant then you.

If at first you dont succeed, LOWER YOUR STANDARDS.
Tartopom
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

One feature I would like to see for ages is explicit var. declaration ...

Anyway, very nice ide !
Euphoria
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 20:00
Wouldn't explicit var declaration be part of the compiler?
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 20:48 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2006 20:49
Quote: "The ide nicely prompted me that it could not load the project, but it wouldn't let me ok the box to carry on (had to end task to exit it)."

Oops. I have it fixed now, but what was happening was that the IDE thought it was a runtime error and couldn't decipher any line number out of the error and got caught in an infinite loop. Same problem with the message when it can't find the DBP compiler. It's fixed now though.

Quote: "You make it debug correctly, I am willing to purchase when you go commercial."

Believe me, I would love to have the debugging support that Delphi offers, but I'm afraid a lot of this depends on the guys at TGC and not me, I'm afraid. I have no clue how to write a debugger anyway.

Quote: "I think I found a small bug: It´s not possible to delete included icons."

Right click the icon in the project explorer, and click "Remove from project" Works here.

Quote: "Is the program hardcoded to only look in one location? I don't have DBP installed in the default location."

No, it looks in the registry for your DBP path. Somehow, your registry must not have got the value set for the DBP install path. A few other people have had this same problem, so I guess I'll let you manually add the path if it can't find it.
Quote: "One feature I would like to see for ages is explicit var. declaration .."

I believe that should be part of the compiler.

Tartopom
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I believe that should be part of the compiler."

I asked for this because I don't except that TGC will do something about this.

I think it's possible with the IDE, but of course all are in your hands

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 11:48:07
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 11:48:07