Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2007 06:05 Edited at: 25th Jul 2007 06:07
Quote: "this gane us looking really goood. i just watched the vids prety nice man."

whoa, slow down on the beer buddy.

Follow Cash's example, drink till you are belligerent but still capable of spelling 'is'.

Visit the Wip!
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 22:19
Quote: "this gane us looking really goood. i just watched the vids prety nice man."

Thanks .

Quote: "whoa, slow down on the beer buddy.

Follow Cash's example, drink till you are belligerent but still capable of spelling 'is'."

Sorry for the lack of updates. Anyways, here's a quick early shot of ships in the world editor. The ship I'm using isn't complete and is only a placeholder until I can hopefully get someone to make a better one for me :S. It's the general layout I want for it though. This would probably be considered a "medium ship". There will also be larger ships and smaller ships, as well as smaller things like wooden rafts or row boats.

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 23:05
Awesome Are you going to put cannons on those ships? Any sea battles?

Visit the Wip!
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2007 23:15
Gil why not take a look at one piece for a moment and try to get some inspiration there ! And try to get some diferrent pirate models !

===========================================================
SInce u tiped it it got personal, zapa was here
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2007 00:19
Quote: "Awesome Are you going to put cannons on those ships? Any sea battles?"

Of course there will be sea battles .

@zapakitul: You mean a game called "One Piece"? Heckno is in charge of the people models, so I just let him give them to me when he wants .

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2007 07:09
@Gil Galvanti, I thought you were dead When will you need the combat system? Just looking for a set date. If i dont have one it might not get done as fast as you want

http://www.freewebs.com/zornoxstudios/
Learning C++ thanks DGDK
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2007 09:31
Looks great!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2007 23:17
Quote: "@Gil Galvanti, I thought you were dead "

Haha, nope, just gone a couple weeks and then inactive for another .

Quote: "When will you need the combat system? Just looking for a set date. If i dont have one it might not get done as fast as you want "

Just sometime this year . Lol, really it doesn't matter, take your time .

Quote: "Looks great!"

Thanks .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 08:18
Just want to say I'm still around, just been busy because my cousin's getting married this weekend and I've been making a slideshow for his wedding and preparing the house for family to stay here . I'll be busy for another week, so don't expect much before then .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 08:30
Gil: Live the Life!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2007 06:43
Heh, well everything's over now so I'll get back to work soon .

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 21:54
Bumping this to say that I didn't really work much the past week because it's my last one before school and i didn't really feel like programming . Anyways, I've regained the programming urge and, although schools starting so it may be slower, I've started working on it again.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 04:55
I am not currently working on this, BUT a) It's only a temporary stall, and b) for once it's not a result of my laziness! The reason is because now that school has started and I have a job, I only really have the time to devote to one project at a time, and right now the project that has temporarily taken priority over PoPR is Escape from Alendar, because I'm hoping to win the Text Adventure Compo with it and get Dark AI to use with PoPR . Just wanted to bump this one more time to explain why I haven't been working on this lately, and to dispel any fears that I've dropped the project (I won't ever drop PoPR unless I die, lol, I've worked on it for the past 3.5 years of my life, I'm not stopping now ). Come October 19th (or sooner if I get EfA done or have extra time), I will begin working on PoPR some more, and am still aiming to release the first demo by 2008. If anyone has comments, questions, suggestions, or criticism on PoPR, I will still be happy to respond, just letting you know that there won't be any updates for a bit .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 05:08
Shame, shame, but I understand if real life takes priority. What? It doesn't? Another game? What the, are you completely insane!? Oh, Escape from Alendar... well, that's a pretty cool one.

Okay, I'll let you go this time.

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2007 03:47
good luck it looks awesome

5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
This looks like a game that will show what DBPro can do! Good Luck on this Gil

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 15:24
Gil! Update Time!

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 05:40
Quote: "This looks like a game that will show what DBPro can do! Good Luck on this Gil"

Thanks .

Quote: "Gil! Update Time!"

Heh, well as I've said, it was temporarily delayed to work on Escape from Alendar, but now that I'm not sure I'm even going to enter EfA into the text adventure compo (little feedback, other than from you , bought one of the prizes (Dark AI), running out of time, other projects to work on), I've continued working on this, as of yesterday . Right now I've done some quest work, mostly technical that wouldn't interest many people , and am implementing Dark AI into the game . With the addition of Dark AI, hopefully I'll be able to do a lot more with quests and AI. After I finish doing some more tests with and expanding quest abilities in the game (right now there are only a few events and triggers), I'll work on ships and the combat system (which I've put off for the past 3 years ). Then after polishing some stuff and adding quests and creating the full world in the world editor, I'll release a beta, hopefully by the beginning of 2008. I'll update y'all again when I get anything interesting, but in the mean time feel free to ask questions or comment.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Does this game run at 30 fps, 60 fps or does it use a timer system?

Your about to get pwned.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 20:14
It uses a timer system, but is developed on 60FPS.

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 20:30
hey, im curious...
how many lines do you have right now?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 21:00
Would be so awesome if he reacted with something like 24.

Just kidding, Gil.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 01:13
It's actually only 23

I don't have a load environment function. But u iz a H4cK3rZ!!! hOW u st33l mi coDEZ!?

Seriously though, the PoPR Engine is...6919, and the World Editor is...4727 .

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 01:13
Note: Before I post this, I have to say I havent read any of the previous posts.

*Ahem*

You have a great game engine, and I can see it being used to make a great game, but the big problem with game engines is that they are invisible to game players, and though I might play a game because I am impressed by the coding marvel which it is, regular people dont. I think there is so much room for improvement on simple graphics that would take only a few commands to set up. Maybe a little more lighting and shadows, etc. I saw that screenie with the ships further up this page, and the water too could be made a little better (of course, I can understand if you want to stay away from shaders atm, 'specially water shaders). But that's enough of my disrespect, I have got nowhere near as close to perfecting an engine like yours. I just think that for it to be a little more succesfull as a game, it has to keep up with the latest trends, like amazing graphics, which DBP can give

Good work anyhow

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 01:20 Edited at: 9th Oct 2007 01:21
Quote: "You have a great game engine, and I can see it being used to make a great game, but the big problem with game engines is that they are invisible to game players, and though I might play a game because I am impressed by the coding marvel which it is, regular people dont."

Yup, I agree, I do plan on polishing it up and adding a bunch of content, but right now I'm mainly concerned about creating the engine to hold that content .

Quote: "Maybe a little more lighting and shadows, etc."

Yeah, I'm actually working on lighting the interiors of my buildings and the touching up the lighting on the exteriors in 3DWS . As for shadows, there are 2 problems with this, 1) the world is not static (is made in the world editor and can be edited whenever and however, so no exterior lightmapping would work), and 2) The time of day will change, making it more difficult to do lighting . If I can get Dark Lights to work with my models, which I haven't been able to for some reason, I may buy the full version and add a feature to lightmap in the World Editor.

Quote: "I saw that screenie with the ships further up this page, and the water too could be made a little better (of course, I can understand if you want to stay away from shaders atm, 'specially water shaders)."

Oh, yeah, water is temporary now . I'm not sure I will use a shader, because of the speed slow down, but I will definitely be making the water look better than that, that's just a placeholder .

Quote: "I just think that for it to be a little more succesfull as a game, it has to keep up with the latest trends, like amazing graphics, which DBP can give"

Yeah, like I said, I do plan on polishing everything up before a release, but graphics aren't my main concern as of now .

Quote: "Good work anyhow
"

Thanks .

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 02:20
Woot, finally some ships and fitting. That's what we've ALL been waiting for.

Let's give Gil a big ARG! for his work. Can't wait to see your work!

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 02:32
ARR MATEY!

Wait... im a ninja...

:p anyways, good job

Meh. Signatures. Lame :p
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 04:34
Honestly, while I agree with Zototoaster, I think this engine is far along enough to be impressive on its own by now. The graphics can come later - it's idiot that we, gamedesigners, seem blinded by graphics as much as the gamers, nowadays. First the engine, I say.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 04:49 Edited at: 13th Oct 2007 05:05
Okay, so I've been thinking that I might release what you could call a "pre-alpha" demo. This would not include any quests, only include a small world, no combat, no AI, and no ocean/ships. It would include inventory, talking, trading, mining/cutting, interiors/exteriors, object interaction, crafting, movement, collision, and simple cannons (not move-able, just fire-able) Why? For three reasons. 1) To get input on the controls/interface of the game. 2) To find bugs. 3) To find out the compatibility on others machines So I need your opinions on a) should I release one at all? Would it decrease the hype of the final product, or would people even try this demo with it only being a demo of the engines (minus combat, ships and quests)?, and b) if I do release it, should it be a "closed pre-alpha", where only a few select people will test it? and c) if I do release it should I release what I have of the world editor with it, or would anyone even be interested in trying it? (You would be able to make your own simple quests and worlds with a bit of a learning curve).

So please give me your input on this .

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 04:58
I think it's a good idea. You'll probably want to get a solid base before going further. It's up to you whether it should be open closed. You might want to keep it controlled, or maybe not.

I for one would love to try this out, been waiting for months. But that doesn't mean you should release a demo.

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 05:04
i would do it! i wanna play this game!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 05:08
Quote: "You'll probably want to get a solid base before going further."

Yeah, I will touch up some things, add a quick simple tutorial, and debug a bit more before I would release it .

Quote: "You might want to keep it controlled, or maybe not."

Hmm...I'm leaning towards closed right now. But how many people? I'm thinking 5 to 10.

Quote: "i would do it! i wanna play this game!"

Heh, glad to hear it . But you have to realize (and so does everyone else), that this demo won't necessarily be "fun". There will be no quests (unless you take the time to mod some in the world editor, if I release it too), practically no AI, and no professions or combat, just the engines I named above .

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 05:26
Hey, you're speaking to a guy whose been selfing testing his own games for three-four years; I'm ready for anything boring.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 05:36
Quote: "Hey, you're speaking to a guy whose been selfing testing his own games for three-four years; I'm ready for anything boring.
"

Lol, alright, I guess I'll do a closed pre-alpha of 5-8 people I select. Any volunteers? You need to be willing to try to find bugs, give detailed feedback about the engines, supply information about FPS and performance, and not be wanting to just play for "fun" (because it won't be very fun, like I've said ) . So I assume that you are wanting to be one Dr. Manatte? Here's the list I have:
-Dr. Manette
-Wickedly Kick It

Any more victims, I mean, volunteers .

I will email those I select when I get something I'm ready to release, probably within the next few days .

Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 11:52
I would like to test.

http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic/
For low price FPSC and Dark BASIC media packs.
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 12:41
Sure, after letting you down with the combat side of things its the least I could do! I also have a little experience as my work experience included about a week of game testing.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 13:02
Throw me in, I've been testing commercial and indie games for a while, if you need references, try contacting SW3D Games.

Ofcourse, if you don't let me in, I'll have Seppuku hunt you forever, calling you Gil Givanti.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 16:07
I would love to test this!

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been following PoPR and would love to test and give some feedback.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2007 19:39 Edited at: 13th Oct 2007 19:40
Alright, great, thanks for the offers . So that makes seven people, which I think it good enough, unless there is one more person who is just dying to do it . First come, first serve . So testers are:
1) Dr. Manette
2) Wickedly Kick It
3) Opposing Force
4) TEH_CODERER
5) tha_rami
6) Zotoaster
7) Jimpo

Quote: "Sure, after letting you down with the combat side of things its the least I could do!"

Heh, you didn't let me down, I understand there are more important things than coding for someone else's game .

Quote: "Throw me in, I've been testing commercial and indie games for a while, if you need references, try contacting SW3D Games."

Lol, I know you tha_rami, even if I didn't, references won't be necessary . I was hoping that you would volunteer .

Quote: "Ofcourse, if you don't let me in, I'll have Seppuku hunt you forever, calling you Gil Givanti."

Okay! Okay! Please don't, I'll give in to your every demand, just don't release him on me!

Ok, so to all those who volunteered, I'll post here and email you announcing the pre-alpha, probably anywhere from tomorrow until next weekend, thanks for offering to help! .

Heckno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 00:32 Edited at: 14th Oct 2007 00:33
gil, you need to send me updates on a regular basis so I can work on the models & animations from within the engine; kinda hard to work things out of thin air...

edit: since your back to working on pirates again....
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 01:08
Quote: "gil, you need to send me updates on a regular basis so I can work on the models & animations from within the engine; kinda hard to work things out of thin air...

edit: since your back to working on pirates again...."

Good point, sorry about that, I will send you the pre-alpha within the next week with everyone else .

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 18:50
A little late because of Internet problems. But can i test this fascinating project too? I use to have good opinions on testing programs.

//Nackidno

Footsteps W.I.P
Trala'em Goes Oblivion (TES IV Mod)
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 20:29
Alright, I'll add you to the list . So that's 8, no more, thanks for everyone who offered to help, like I said, I'm sorting out a few problems/bugs and I'll get it to y'all ASAP

Gero Fox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2007 06:06 Edited at: 16th Oct 2007 06:06
OH
sounds good
COOL that's is very good
thanX Gil Galvanti^^
Keep Up for ever

I like eating the pizza and drink coffee some time^^
I want to learn DBPro
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 22:46 Edited at: 21st Oct 2007 22:47
Pirates of Port Royale Pre-Alpha emails sent!

I got a return mail on your email address, Heckno, I used the one that is at the bottom of your post. Let me know if you receive them or have any problems .

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 23:13
Just saw the email and am downloading. Hopefully I'll have tested this to pieces today and get you the testing info.

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 23:16 Edited at: 21st Oct 2007 23:16
Quote: "Just saw the email and am downloading. Hopefully I'll have tested this to pieces today and get you the testing info. "

Great, you will need the physx drivers installed, I realized, because I use DP for the collision (and eventually I will for the objects), but it's free if you don't already have it, so it shouldn't be a big deal . Take your time with the testing .

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 23:17
Yea... just figured that out too! No problem, I've got it on the way.

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 21:15
I'm continuing testing, i downloaded it yesterday. I got a great testreport for you

Footsteps W.I.P
Trala'em Goes Oblivion (TES IV Mod)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 14:14:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 14:14:27