Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Pirates of Port Royale: New Thread

Author
Message
Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 6th Jun 2007 17:48
Quote: "Not to criticize, of course, but a higher poly axe (and other equipable items) would improve the look of the game. A higher poly static mesh like that wouldn't even affect your framerate. Personally, as a rule of thumb, I'm willing to spare more polygons for something that the player will be seeing a lot of."

Alright, cool, I'll see if I can bump up the detail level of a few things a few notches .

Quote: "It would be nice if in the shop when you were buying the "buy" tab on top would be lit up, and when you were selling the "sell" tab would light up. As of right now it is herd to tell if you are buying or selling in the shop."

Yeah, I've noticed that too, and I'm planning on implementing something like that soon .

Thanks for the comments .


Game King
15
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 25th Mar 2007
Location: Naples, FL
Posted: 6th Jun 2007 21:32
I like the sword you showed at the end Like everyone else said the ax and trees need work. Good job tho!
Satchmo
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 29th May 2005
Location:
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 02:28
Actually, you would save polies by making the axe headpointed, because the top and bottom would be single tris.

I like my sig.
Alquerian
16
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 29th Mar 2006
Location: Reno Nevada
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 02:54
The new video looks nice, you have added a lot of things to the gameplay. Very nice

A question about the music, is that just a placeholder?

Visit the Wip!
Satchmo
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 29th May 2005
Location:
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 03:17
Yes, he says earlier in the thread.

I like my sig.
Alquerian
16
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 29th Mar 2006
Location: Reno Nevada
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 03:22
Quote: "Yes, he says earlier in the thread."


woops, must have missed that.

I think that making the axe higher poly and changing out the music would be the best improvments currently. You wouldn't really loose anything on fps by fixing the axe up a bit.

Good work

Visit the Wip!
Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 05:06
Quote: "Actually, you would save polies by making the axe headpointed, because the top and bottom would be single tris."

Oh, you actually thought it was a rectangular prism. It's actually a triangular prism where the end away from you does come to a point, it's just the angle when the axe is equipped that makes it look like it's a box . Look closely when i chop with it and you will see that it does come to a point.

Quote: "I think that making the axe higher poly and changing out the music would be the best improvments currently. You wouldn't really loose anything on fps by fixing the axe up a bit."

Yeah, the music is just placeholder . And I'll get around to making things look better. Right now I'm on a bug killing spree, because, as you know, after adding something new, bugs always come with it.


Julius Caesar
16
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 14th Apr 2006
Location:
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 20:46
I really like your method of collecting resources. Considering this is an RPG, it would be really great if you could perhaps add in horses or even just an option to sprint, as it seems that to go any real distance will take forever!

I like the huge amounts of progress you seem to be making! Similar to Darth Vader, I would like to see some water too, that would be fantastic! I actually like your graphics they give an idea that the game was made by indies, some of the graphics we are turning out with DBPro nowadays using shaders are just too good its scary!

I think the next great thing you could do would be to put in an enemy, maybe a thief or something that you have to knock out and give to the authorities! I really look forward to your demo of this game, I can see it becoming a huge RPG!

Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 7th Jun 2007 21:08
Quote: "Considering this is an RPG, it would be really great if you could perhaps add in horses or even just an option to sprint, as it seems that to go any real distance will take forever!"

I plan on adding both of those .

Quote: "I actually like your graphics they give an idea that the game was made by indies, some of the graphics we are turning out with DBPro nowadays using shaders are just too good its scary!"

Heh, thanks.

Quote: "I think the next great thing you could do would be to put in an enemy, maybe a thief or something that you have to knock out and give to the authorities!"

The problem is I don't have combat yet, like I said, it's the only big engine I don't have .

Right now I'm working on showing quantities of items, so if you pick up an axe, it shows one icon for 2 axes and the number of each item, whereas before it would show an icon for each axe. It sounds simple, but is probably one of the hardest parts I've worked on for a few weeks, and the number of bugs/problems I've encountered in it are probably more than what I've added in the last few weeks combined .


Darth Vader
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 10th May 2005
Location: Adelaide SA, I am the only DB user here!
Posted: 8th Jun 2007 10:30
Great work!
Personally those tree's look great! I really like them! I love the method of collecting resources as well!

The only thing that to me is a bit of an eye sore is the ground texture. It's so consistent! lol I'm sure that that will change though!
Love the new video!


Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 8th Jun 2007 18:12
Quote: "The only thing that to me is a bit of an eye sore is the ground texture. It's so consistent! lol I'm sure that that will change though!"

Yeah that's only temporary . Thanks, glad you like it .


Dr Manette
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 17th Jan 2006
Location: BioFox Games hq
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 19:42
Wow, nice video. I think if you angle the weapons a bit the they will look better. Instead of having them in front of the player, tilt along the y axis so it's facing in a bit.

Very cool how you can chop trees and rocks for materials.

Xenocythe
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 26th May 2005
Location: You Essay.
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 21:00
Well, heres a screen shot of the Ale drink for the game.



I'm spending most of today working on more models.

Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 9th Jun 2007 22:56
Quote: "Wow, nice video. I think if you angle the weapons a bit the they will look better. Instead of having them in front of the player, tilt along the y axis so it's facing in a bit."

Thanks, yeah, I think I will angle them more .

@Xenocythe: Awesome, thanks .


Satchmo
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 29th May 2005
Location:
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 02:58
Also, to me they look odd on the right, will there be an option to change that in the final version?

I like my sig.
Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 03:45
Quote: "Also, to me they look odd on the right, will there be an option to change that in the final version?"

You mean equipped items? You can already equip an item on your left or right hand. You can also have two items equipped, one in each hand, so when combat comes, I'm hoping for some dual wielding .


Satchmo
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 29th May 2005
Location:
Posted: 10th Jun 2007 04:17
Cool

I like my sig.
Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 11th Jun 2007 08:04 Edited at: 11th Jun 2007 08:05
I've made a new video showing the new UI and multiple items in the inventory, as well as a new sky. Not as many new features as the others, but still something. Hope you like it.




Darth Vader
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 10th May 2005
Location: Adelaide SA, I am the only DB user here!
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 05:34
Thats awsome Gil! I really like how all the UI matches now! And the sky looks great!


Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 05:40
Quote: "Thats awsome Gil! I really like how all the UI matches now! And the sky looks great!"

Thanks, glad you like it . I was getting worried no one liked it because noone had responded .


Darth Vader
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 10th May 2005
Location: Adelaide SA, I am the only DB user here!
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 06:11
Quote: "noone had responded"
lol! Whenever I come to this forum the WIP board is the one I look forward to most, and this is practically the only WIP thread I look at!

I really can't wait for a demo! Have you got any ideas for combat?


Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 06:21
Quote: "lol! Whenever I come to this forum the WIP board is the one I look forward to most, and this is practically the only WIP thread I look at!"

Heh, thanks, but PoPR is definitely not the best WIP on here (take Geisha House for example ).

Quote: "Have you got any ideas for combat?"

Ideas, yes, progress, no . If you've ever played TES IV: Oblivion, that's similar to the combat style I'm thinking of, only faster, with dual wielding and guns .


tha_rami
16
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 25th Mar 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 11:00 Edited at: 12th Jun 2007 11:02
Doesn't matter, PoPR, Geisha House and Seadome are the ones I look at most, Seadome being my own, ofcourse. Not that anyone replies to such an early WIP, naturally. I think Geisha House is further along the road, but PoPR has the same potential of winning my personal DarkBASIC Gold Award.

PoPR looks promising and I like that last screenshot of the vid (which is good too). It conveys some sort of cartoony, smooth style that definitely fits the game. The sky is brilliant. I'd change the fog color, though. For combat, with the current walking/looking speed/system, I'd say that'd be hard to combine - but you'll pull it off.

Keep going, I like the way this is going.

PS. It's Neutral, not Nuetral. Where's that promised fix?

Cash Curtis II
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 8th Apr 2005
Location: Corpus Christi Texas
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 15:07
Quote: "Heh, thanks, but PoPR is definitely not the best WIP on here (take Geisha House for example"

I appreciate that, but I never think of projects like that. Any indie project that gets finished is good for all of us, and we aren't competing with each other at all. Just with ourselves, I suppose

There aren't many threads that I look at. Most threads will amount to nothing and I can always pick out the ones that are destined for failure. There are just certain things that doom a project from the very beginning. For many reasons, RPGs always fail.

This is one of the few threads that I keep up with. I seldom post, but I'm always interested to see how it's coming along. I think that it has a lot of potential and stands a good chance of being finished.

Two quick suggestions though - I recommend using animated weapons with hands attached. They'd look awesome that way. And, I'd totally drop the digitized voice. I don't think that it adds to a game. It's something I'd turn off immediately.


Come see the WIP!
eek
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 26th Dec 2004
Location:
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 18:17
The sky actually seems to do wonders for the overall visual effect. Looks top notch!
Alquerian
16
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 29th Mar 2006
Location: Reno Nevada
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 18:23
Yes the sky does add a lot to the game. It looks much nicer with it. I know it is nothing major to implement, but it is one of the easiest ways to improve the overall appearance of a project.

I think I like the recorded voices. I think they currently feel 'off' because there are only 2 recordings 'hello' and 'would you like to trade' that I have heard thus far. If the wandering patrons were to have subtle passing dialog with each other, it might seem less out of place, that way it wouldn't seem so ... inanimate, they wouldn't seem to only converse at your beck and call. Does that make sense? I know you will add more recordings when you get the chance. It is coming along nicely, just figured I would offer a little constructive criticism.

Visit the Wip!
Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 19:04 Edited at: 12th Jun 2007 19:06
Quote: "Doesn't matter, PoPR, Geisha House and Seadome are the ones I look at most, Seadome being my own, ofcourse. Not that anyone replies to such an early WIP, naturally. I think Geisha House is further along the road, but PoPR has the same potential of winning my personal DarkBASIC Gold Award."

Thanks, yes, Seadome is looking very nice as well .

Quote: "The sky is brilliant. I'd change the fog color, though"

Okay, that shouldn't be a problem, but are you saying to a more white color?

Quote: "PS. It's Neutral, not Nuetral. Where's that promised fix?"

Doh, sorry, forgot about that, heh. I'll change it now while I'm thinking about it.

Quote: "Any indie project that gets finished is good for all of us, and we aren't competing with each other at all. Just with ourselves, I suppose "

Yeah, that's how I look at it as well. Not a competition, but more like a collaborated effort .

Quote: "This is one of the few threads that I keep up with. I seldom post, but I'm always interested to see how it's coming along. I think that it has a lot of potential and stands a good chance of being finished."

Thanks, glad to know you're interested .

Quote: "Two quick suggestions though - I recommend using animated weapons with hands attached. They'd look awesome that way."

Sorry, could you explain this a bit more? You mean animate the weapons in the program they are made in with a hand model attached to it? Are you saying for just the player or NPC's too?

Quote: "And, I'd totally drop the digitized voice. I don't think that it adds to a game. It's something I'd turn off immediately."

Alright, maybe I'll add an option to turn it off, in case some people want it. I plan on possibly adding more dialogue as well .

Quote: "The sky actually seems to do wonders for the overall visual effect. Looks top notch! "

Thanks .

Quote: "If the wandering patrons were to have subtle passing dialog with each other, it might seem less out of place, that way it wouldn't seem so ... inanimate, they wouldn't seem to only converse at your beck and call. Does that make sense? I know you will add more recordings when you get the chance. It is coming along nicely, just figured I would offer a little constructive criticism."

Yeah, I know what you mean, I plan on adding more dialogue later, but like I said, with an option to turn it off .

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, I've edited the first post to tidy it up a little bit just in case people still look there. And I used your screenshot video link idea Cash, cause I liked it so much, I hope you don't mind .


Julius Caesar
16
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 14th Apr 2006
Location:
Posted: 12th Jun 2007 22:37
wow, this project progresses so quick! I really like what you are doing!

As far as animated hands and weapons, that really would look heaps better. It would not be too hard either I shouldn't think. But obviously that will come when you do combat!

I think that the sky does add a lot to the game, as does the improvements to the GUI. It really is starting to look polished, even if it is not yet finished!

Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 13th Jun 2007 18:07
Quote: "I think that the sky does add a lot to the game, as does the improvements to the GUI. It really is starting to look polished, even if it is not yet finished!"

Thanks, glad you like it .


Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 15th Jun 2007 01:08
Just to update, right now I'm working on still debugging everything. When I implemented quantities with objects, it essentially broke every engine dealing with objects, including inventory, resource gathering, shop, and crafting. Practically everything, heh. So I'm in the process of tediously debugging all of it. So far I *think* I've got the shop (you never know) and inventory debugged, and part of the crafting.


tha_rami
16
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 25th Mar 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posted: 15th Jun 2007 01:56
Be glad. I once did something that broke my entire PC. Had something to do with voltage, smoke and a loud bang.

On a side note, that. Good luck on fixing your game . Keep us updated!

Satchmo
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 29th May 2005
Location:
Posted: 15th Jun 2007 05:16
Cool, everthing is looking good, especially with the new sky.

I like my sig.
Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 16th Jun 2007 02:46
Quote: "Be glad. I once did something that broke my entire PC. Had something to do with voltage, smoke and a loud bang."

That sucks . Luckily I have PoPR backed up in about 5 different ways and places, so if my PC did crash, I'd have a few options to get it back .

Quote: "Cool, everthing is looking good, especially with the new sky."

Thanks, glad you like it. I think the sky makes a pretty big difference graphically of the environment .

Okay, not to jinx it, but I *think* I've fixed all the bugs and now everything works with the multiple objects system. Glad that's over, very tedious work, but that's part of game making . Now I have a few options of what to do next, let me look over my list...I'll keep you updated on this thread. If anyone has any suggestions or comments, feel free to make them .


Xenocythe
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 26th May 2005
Location: You Essay.
Posted: 16th Jun 2007 06:12
Everything looks really great Try adding some bloom later on, it would really really make everything more realistic looking.

I'll be in new york until the monday after the next, so I cant really do anything for you. Sorry mate.

Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 16th Jun 2007 06:31
Quote: "Everything looks really great Try adding some bloom later on, it would really really make everything more realistic looking."

Thanks, yeah, I plan on trying that out eventually .

Quote: "I'll be in new york until the monday after the next, so I cant really do anything for you. Sorry mate."

No problem, have fun .


Opposing force
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 10th Aug 2005
Location: England
Posted: 16th Jun 2007 12:36
Hey Gil, if you want I could make some static models or props for your game

Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 17th Jun 2007 07:09
Quote: "Hey Gil, if you want I could make some static models or props for your game "

Sure, that'd be great . I'll send you a model list through email .

I practically rewrote the interior/exterior switch, and now they function almost like I want them, with a few minor problems. I also added a run feature, which took all of 2 minutes .


alucart13
15
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 16th Jun 2007
Location:
Posted: 18th Jun 2007 23:56
Great!

Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 20th Jun 2007 02:21 Edited at: 20th Jun 2007 02:22
Quote: "Great!"

Thanks . Strange...your post doesn't show up as the last poster or as new for me.

I came to give a quick update. I ended up rewriting the whole interior/exterior thing again, because as I neared finishing the other method, I realized that it would be much more complicated than I had planned. Anyways, I thought of another method that works just as well, so it works great so far . I would post screenshots or something, but all it would be is me standing by a door with the words "Enter Shipyard" or "Exit Church" or something like that. Nothing to exciting, unless it's from the programmers perspective .


Xenocythe
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 26th May 2005
Location: You Essay.
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 06:40
That is a very nice idea, it works well both with the player and the programmer

Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 21st Jun 2007 07:55
Quote: "That is a very nice idea, it works well both with the player and the programmer "

Thanks, yeah, if I didn't have that system then interiors would have to be practically empty to keep the framerate up, but now interiors can have as many objects as the computer can handle, because the only objects that load are the ones in your cell . This also cuts down on loading time, because it doesn't load an interior cell until you enter one, where you will have to wait a few seconds the first time you enter, but after that the objects will already exist. This way the world is loaded as you go through it, dividing up the load times. And since the objects are just positioned at a very far distance away (1,000,000 units high, where your camera height is 150, about 7.5 miles high if you're 6ft), they aren't in the screen to take up poly's, and therefore FPS, when you're not in them.


Cherd
16
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 30th Dec 2006
Location: Where I can see you.
Posted: 24th Jun 2007 21:07
wow this looks very nice indeed, i dont get on the darkbasic forums much as im an FPSC user but i do like pirates and this looks great

Shadow heart
16
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 2nd Dec 2006
Location: US
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 01:50
looks very nice dude

to the ones thats trapped inside of you, this is it!!
Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 25th Jun 2007 04:06
Quote: "wow this looks very nice indeed, i dont get on the darkbasic forums much as im an FPSC user but i do like pirates and this looks great
"


Quote: "looks very nice dude"

Thanks, glad yall like it .

Progress is being made, just not progress that would be interesting enough to show. I've added new interiors, new objects, am working on stabilizing the world editor (debuggging), I've added sitting on things like benches and chairs, and interiors now fully work.


Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 22:37 Edited at: 26th Jun 2007 22:43
NEW VIDEO!

This one shows interiors, sitting/standing, some new objects, and the newly added cannon in a new little map I whipped up using the now very stable world editor . I know not everyone will be happy about the realism aspect of the cannon (and I'm planning on adding another aspect, loading gunpowder), but it fit's my view of how I want it to be, and I'm the one making the game, lol . Strange how this video took 5 minutes to upload to YouTube and the last one took 5 hours. Any slowdowns/jumpiness are caused by Fraps, the game runs smoothly. Hope you like it.


Please give me feedback . By the way, all buildings you see you can go inside of, I just figured it would be a waste of time to run all over the map to show you the same thing over and over again .


DIGIROSS
16
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 15th Dec 2006
Location:
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 23:20
Your game is progressing nicely. BTW, I love the cannon!

Mess with the best, die like the rest!
Alquerian
16
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 29th Mar 2006
Location: Reno Nevada
Posted: 26th Jun 2007 23:49
The cannon is awesome! I really liked that. One thing I might suggest on the cannon is making your player go to the front of the cannon to pack the ball and powder, it would look better IMHO. Very nicely done!

Visit the Wip!
Opposing force
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 10th Aug 2005
Location: England
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 00:01
Gil, those models I said I would make, well I've done an apple and a pick axe, so i'll do a few more then send 'em to you.

Gil Galvanti
18
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 22nd Dec 2004
Location: Texas, United States
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 03:39
Quote: "Your game is progressing nicely. BTW, I love the cannon! "

Thanks .

Quote: "The cannon is awesome! I really liked that. One thing I might suggest on the cannon is making your player go to the front of the cannon to pack the ball and powder, it would look better IMHO. Very nicely done!"

Thanks, glad you like it. Yeah, I was thinking about adding that you have to be in front of the cannon, I may add that .

Quote: "
Gil, those models I said I would make, well I've done an apple and a pick axe, so i'll do a few more then send 'em to you.
"

Great! Thanks .


Cash Curtis II
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 8th Apr 2005
Location: Corpus Christi Texas
Posted: 27th Jun 2007 04:59 Edited at: 27th Jun 2007 05:00
The cannon was really cool. It makes me want to add a cannon to Geisha House Since Ultima had them I could totally justify it.

I can imagine some completely awesome things to go with it, like crashing into trees, people, and objects. Exploding people!! Without Dark Physics it might be a challenge to implement satisfying cannonball physics and collision effects, but being a sphere wouldn't be impossible.

Quote: "And since the objects are just positioned at a very far distance away (1,000,000 units high, where your camera height is 150, about 7.5 miles high if you're 6ft), they aren't in the screen to take up poly's, and therefore FPS, when you're not in them."

Excluding them would be quicker than moving them.


Come see the WIP!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2023-02-01 13:39:56
Your offset time is: 2023-02-01 13:39:56