Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / We're collecting your bugs!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 00:26 Edited at: 6th Jan 2005 03:37
THE LATEST UPDATE OF THE COMMUNITY BUG LIST CAN BE FOUND HERE.

Hi guys,

Rick & Lee suggested in the chat that if we could compile a master list of the most important bugs, the ones the community wants fixed the most, they'll use it next bug week. So what I'm asking for is a list of the bugs you dislike the most. You can list as many as you want and they don't need to be put in any particular order. Please only mention the ones you feel are very important though, things TGC should address next bug week .

Be very clear what the bug is-- saying 'Bump mapping's broken' isn't good enough; you have to specify the problematic command(s) and ideally provide a link to a confirmed bug report or a post discussing these problems.

All the votes will be tallied up at some point in the near future and the master top 20 list complete with reference material will be sent in to TGC.

Thank you !

Three Score
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 00:30
um im sure everyone wants that friggin debugger fixed

come to my forums http://hck83.darktech.info/forum/ formerly: 404 name not found
"others understand me but i dont understand my own thoughts"
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 00:38
Excerpt from the IRC chat

Just whatever bugs you guys find restricting, then I find restricting too, although I would rather see problems with the language fixed sooner than the 3d engine, although I really have no preference .

The 3d chat is coming...
Rights For Traffic Cones!
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 00:58
First page of Bug Forum :

The make mesh from meblock command crashes at 21846 poly objects and over
With the Advanced terrain, when i try to position a terrain in a different place("Position Object TerNum,x,y,z") it seems that what ever is controlling the showing+hiding of the limbs of the terrain goes wrong.
music volume is the same at 200 as 100
What I've noticed is whenever I have string and use it in an IF statement to check for certain symbols with a conjunction AND (haven't tried anything else) I get an incompatable type error.
If I try and return an array value with the endfunction command it will crash the compiler.

SET CAMERA TO OBJECT ORIENTATION seems completely knackered.

Rotate an object around X axis and camera rotates around Y
Rotate an object around Y axis and camera rotates around X
Rotate an object around Z axis and camera does nothing

It seems that whenever sounds are loaded (but they are not played), it will greatly slow down the WHILE, DO, REPEAT loops. But, surprisingly the FOR loop is not affected.

This bug is caused by setting the camera's FOV to unusually high numbers. See attached source. To replicate the bug move over the top of the cube. This will do your head in a bit as with a FOV of 160 the matrix and the cube are a bit like one of those bendy mirrors in a fairground. When you are over the cube, look up away from the matrix and cube. You'll find the object screen x and y commands are returning erroneous values.

Found this out while building my game map editor - if you have a positive (or negative) mousez value, i.e. if you have scrolled the mouse wheel up or down, use of the POSITION MOUSE command resets this Z value data.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=41765&b=15
Get Ogg Vorbis State() not working - If you Play your file, it always returns 1, even after it has finished

Beware the Christmas... The fattener... The drunkard...
1tg46
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 01:22
debugger. The default IDE could be upgraded as well, but I know you guys don't have the source code for that.

Click the sig
Snaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 01:39
err... i have a bug in my shoe
jk.. advanced terrain crashes when using SET DISPLAY MODE..this is a bug

snaz.proboards38.com
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 01:43
For once I'm finding myself at a loss as to what stuff needs fixing (I'm guessing that's a good sign). I guess...

Shaders don't work on advanced terrains (can't be much more specific than, the terrains go black if you apply a shader to them).

Isn't it? Wasn't it? Marvellous!
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 02:05
The animated object with a shader bug! shaders just wont work with animated objects, polygons just tend to explode when you try

http://www.nemesiscreations.co.uk/downloads/pplshader.zip

oh and the unmovable partical emitter in the particals expansion pack, no idea why this isnt fixed..
PowerSoft
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 02:11
DEBUGGER, please please please

Liberty: Fight for Freedom
Mike P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 02:12 Edited at: 25th Dec 2004 02:16
Icons come out fuzzy and messed up unless icon file is 16 by 16 in size.
[img] http://aa.1asphost.com/watfordxp/IBSE/problem.bmp[/img]

(circled in red)

Note: I exceded my monthly bandwidth so the image won't work for a few more hours!

This is a minor problem

THE DEBUGGER IS THE MOST IRRITATING THING EVER... FIX IT!!!

Note that has nothing to do with this: Tomorrow I get DOOM 3, HALF LIFE 2, and GRAND THEFT AUTO SANANDREUS (can't spell it). Which 1 should I play first?

God
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 02:30
GTA.. The other two may look pretty but I personally think that they have next to no gameplay.

As for errors.. I have never found the lack of debugger a problem. I just print out what I need to know using the "text" command!

I'd personally rather the efforts were put into things like a decent Editor (fix things like the source files getting deleted, etc). Also there are a few transparency bugs (i tried to make a window semi transparent and my transparent object behind it dissapeared.. I had a thread about it somewhere.. It was related to my Rocket Buggies compo entry.

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm jrowe told me 7 bugs he hated on msn but i thought i was logging but obviously wrrent (i cant find them) i remember one of them was about dot3 well whather ill just let him post them.

i want the debugger fixed, and this multiplayer bug thingy fixed (dont say there isnt one cos it was confirmed in the bug reports board)

i'd also like to find a way for layered multitexturing to work, at the moment its a very complex monouvre that very few people have accompished, im not one of those few.

other than that i dont really notice any bugs, since i just work around them and then forget they existed, to keep me satisfied i'd just like more commands i guess, or a faster engine or just improvements in other forms.

Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 03:37
I agree - multi texturing would be SWEET!

jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 04:26 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2005 21:07
The eight that instantly sprang to mind during the IRC session last night (There's probably more it's just I can't think of them at the moment):

1. The DOT3 bump mapping (set blend mapping on objno,imgno,24) doesn't work with a textured object (Turns the base texture plain black), and I don't have a shader compatible card. :-(.
2. No control over hiding of individual terrain limbs (which Mike promised)
3. Terrain limb auto culling doesn’t take into account the position of the Terrain object.
4. ALL Transparency issues, i.e. borders unless disable object zdepth is used (which is VERY inconvenient if you want other objects in front of them).
5. deBUGGERS ME EVERY TIME IT'S USED!!!!! “Step through mode” and “Variable Watcher” are essential for debugging.
6. Inaccurate return of line number with error messages i.e. no consideration for included files (I think Lee is aware of this due to FPSC having TONS of included files).
7. Set camera to object orientation (as described by TCA).
8. Set Display mode is incompatible with Advanced Terrain.
9. Set Shadow shading on is slow and buggy since a certain update (I can't remember which).

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 08:25 Edited at: 25th Dec 2004 08:27
Quote: "8. Set Display mode is incompatible with Advanced Terrain."

ah... now that... explains... a bit....

edit: another bug... and now i forgot what it was....

oh wait it was a question/feature request... is there a way to control terrain limbs? if there is a way and the way is bugged, please fix it. i plan on using terrains after this current projects finished.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 09:12 Edited at: 30th Dec 2004 02:30
Here are links to several bugs posted above. If you fix these I will be the happiest person you have ever seen.

[edit} added clickable links.

My Main DBP bug priorities

1. Make mesh from object crashes at anything over 21844 polys or 65535 verts
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=41684&b=15

2. Box to polygon and Sphere to polygon collision Errors.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=15146&b=15

3. Debugger and step through useless
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=39099&b=15
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=44076&b=15
4. Camera rotation
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=43091&b=15
5. Position mouse function resets the mousez value
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=42080&b=15
6. Basic2D commands not working on bitmaps larger than the screen resolution
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=42034&b=15
7. remstart/remend - " not allowed?
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=38990&b=15
8. Closing windows Bugs
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=40135&b=15

My Main Advanced terrain priorities

1. Advanced terrain "set diplay mode" crashes
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=34936&b=15
2. Advanced Terrain - Reposition Terrain Problem?
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=34967&b=15

Narf The Mouse
Years of Service
User Offline
I need multiple specific collision check commands to get NGC to actually collide correctly.

Cheese!
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 10:00
save image/save bitmap
does not always function properly.
I tried using it to take screen shots and had to do some
pretty trange things to make it work...
It could be that it only works with certain screen reselutions...

So, to take shots of my models, I use DBC because it works.
Chris64
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 10:56 Edited at: 26th Dec 2004 03:29
My requests might only require better documentation to better explain how to use correctly.

Set Shadow Shading on - pretty much always works half amazing/half completely wrong...and therefore making it completely useless. On complicated and simple models you get some random polygons that don't become shaded or cast shadows. And sometimes all shadow shadings invert (shadows light up and lit areas go dark) when the camera enters a shadow.

Set Object Transparency - Works good but the Types aren't documented anywhere (that I could find...other than on this message board in a few random posts)

Debugger - Would be nice if it could reliably save projects & source code. Also, when you scroll through the help menu with something highlighted (from a search) it pops up with a message box - "Wheel" - "up"/"Down"

EDIT: I forgot, Scale Object causes problems with Intersect Object on 57, on another computer with 55 it's OK though. The Intersect still collides with the poly's in the original size not a rescaled size.
ionstream
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 10:59
The "Error at line x" is confusing and relative to the collective amount of .DBA files in the project, which is incorrect if you have more than one. A better way to do it would be to say "Error at line x in file something.dba".

re faze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 11:26
Set shadow shading on and set bump mapping on crashes my exe. didnt do so under U5 but since 5.2 is problematic.
if you use play animation to image the exe does not want to work in 32 bit fsex mode and you when i declare a function like this "function myfunc(type1 as mytype)" if i try to pass mytype into the function it says unknown parameter at line x
re faze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 11:35
additionally it would be nice if you could pass a string into the gosub function like this
read string 1,MyFunctionCall$
gosub Myfunctioncall$
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 12:19
You can't declare types in function declarations, that's not a bug, it's simply not part of the language.

And, why on earth would you want to pass a string to a Sub? When you can simply do this:

Jess

Team EOD :: Programmer/All-Round Nice Guy
Aust. Convention!
JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 12:42
Quote: "The "Error at line x" is confusing and relative to the collective amount of .DBA files in the project, which is incorrect if you have more than one. A better way to do it would be to say "Error at line x in file something.dba"."

RobK wrote the following (which works well enough for me):

Quote: "As of U5.6, the compiler creates a dump of the entire source code in a single file, usually stored in (DBPro Install Folder)\TEMP\FullSourceDump.dba. Just open that up and look through
there.

If you are using a recent version of BlueIDE (RC4), go into the folder where you installed BlueIDE, and create a new folder called "Tools". Add a shortcut to the FullSourceDump.dba file in there, and you will then be able to access the dump from BlueIDE by going to Tools > Programs > Full Source Dump"

High quality models and graphics, low prices. Graphics for the rest of us.
re faze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 12:53
i would want to pass a string into the gosub function in order to make for easier scripting from a .txt file as denoted by
read string 1,MyFunctionCall$ : rem read the string from the file
gosub Myfunctioncall$ :rem go to the function specified by the call
JeBuS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 13:01
What you want is dynamic variable names (at least, I think that's what they call them), and it'd be nice to have. But, I think this is a thread for bugs, not requests.

High quality models and graphics, low prices. Graphics for the rest of us.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd like to know why DBP exe's like to make my cpu go from 5% usage to 100%.

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 20:02
As everyone knows, I'm one of the most "loyal" people here to TGC.

However, even I think that just hammering the most annoying/persistent bugs in the next bug week isn't good enough. Really I think that Lee has got to commit himself with Mike to getting rid of every single [confirmed] bug posted in the bugs forum. Anything less than that, after 2 years of DBPro being on the market, and after having got to update v5.8, is in my view totally unsatisfactory. I think everyone here can understand and accept that the focus is presently on FPSC. We all want TGC to continue to succeed and do well - obviously FPSC is a big part of that. But once FPSC is out Lee's attention really has to come back onto sorting the flagship product out.

We all want DBPro to be recognised for what it is - an excellent product. Its very embarrassing to have to reply to posts about the quality of the product by saying "er... the debugger doesn't work and its got about 100 known bugs at the moment"!!

Just think of the sales TGC is losing. If only DBPro could be got to a satisfactory state, it'd be bulk bought by schools and other institutions. As it is, it remains a niche bedroom coding language.

So, as an incentive, if Lee does what I've proposed above, I shall personally ensure he does not have to buy one beer at next year's Con.

Cheers

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 20:54
It was Rick and Lees idea to mail in this list of bugs. We belive there will be another bug week some time in Q1 oe Q2 .

The 3d chat is coming...
Rights For Traffic Cones!
dj chainz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 20:56
it isnt really a bug, but... PIXEL PERFECT SPRITE COLLISION!!

I am the lead programmer at red spark studios
I also have a blog on how to make a game engine
http://www.dbgame.blogspot.com
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 22:47 Edited at: 25th Dec 2004 23:03
Unfortunately the bug fixing week will have to do until FPSC is out of the way. Unfortunately, most people remember the initial release state, and base their opinions on that. Whilst its certainly better, there is still a lot of work to be done.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 23:01 Edited at: 25th Dec 2004 23:10
Second page of bug fixing forums :

Yes, SET ANIMATION SPEED doesn't seem to work, either as a positive or negative number
I've been having serious problems with the Object Screen X and Y commands with multiple cameras.

crashes the compiler
a#=0. instead of

a#=0.0 (that's the "nought" bit!)

this creates all sorts of trouble and the result is indeterminate (often 1E33 or something equally silly). It also appears to be the cause of the prob in my earlier post on W2k/XP differences, here...

Can't say if this is a Dbpro error or an IDE error, but if you change the Application Window Caption via the sidebar, some of the input functions cease to work.
shaders just wont work with animated objects, polygons just tend to explode when you try
Saving images in FSEX modes is rather dodgy (corrupt)
I've just upgraded to 5.6 and was just beginning to go through all the usual fixing of bugs in my code that that hadn't existed before. I'm programming at home (AMD processor; XP home) and at work at lunchtime (Intel, W2k). Compiling my code gives different results in each. NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE!!!

As an example, the attached snippet is a simple converter to enable YXZ object rotation order. It worked fine with 5.2 and also runs fine with 5.6 under W2k. But it doesn't work properly under XP!!!

First run it with the yxz variable set to 0. It should give normal xyz behaviour. You can test this by doing an x(up/down) followed by a y (left/right) followed by a z (Enter/shift) rotation. Each time the cuboid should rotate about its own axis. This works on both my computers.

Now set the yxz variable (near the top) to 1 to call my YXZ rotation function and try the rotations in YXZ order (L/R then U/D then Enter/Shft). Again, if it works, the rotations should all appear to be in the object's body axes, but in the new order. When compiled on my W2k machine, this works, but on my XP it doesn't. In fact under XP the Z rotation does nothing at all.

If you press space at the same time as the other keys, the object moves up/dn, L/R or Fwd/back

Boolean variables are still dodgy :

The following code compiles (but shouldn't) :

Some people have reported that playing videos onto the screen/image is choppy...
As the title says i have found a bug that causes DBP to ignore or not get input from the user.

If you have the:
Project Name
+
Executable Name
+
Window Title

the same then dbp wont accept input. . .

Global string assignment is incorrect :

FOG COLOR 255,0,0 should be red but is green
FOG COLOR 0,255,0 should be green but is blue
FOG COLOR 0,0,255 should be blue but is black!

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 23:09
Third page of bugs forums :

In the help files there is an example of printing a pointer value, I try this and it prints the address value. Sticking a pointer directly in an if statement seems to make it stop working completely
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=35506&b=15

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2004 23:11
Now, if Lee & Mike can get rid of these three pages of bug reports, I think then there would be very little left to do - aside from some graphical glitches.

It Wasnt Me
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 00:57
Quote: "it isnt really a bug, but... PIXEL PERFECT SPRITE COLLISION!!"

Me too!
Quote: "Yes, SET ANIMATION SPEED doesn't seem to work, either as a positive or negative number
"

Me too two!

If it was me, I wouldn't know it.
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 02:38 Edited at: 26th Dec 2004 02:43
1. The debugger needs extensive fixing (and testing!). I suggest that you get it to a state where it can be used to step through the FPSC source code, *and* all of the examples that come with DBPro. The debugger also needs some way of accessing type fields, arrays and local variables. The debugger currently seems to show only globals - which makes stepping through and debugging functions very difficult. The ability to execute statements which are inside "nested subroutines" would also be very handy - plus it would solve the aforementioned variables and ararys issue (when you attempt to view an array, the debugger would just generate the appropriate DarkBASIC code, sent it to the compiler and print the results)

2. The animation commands do not seem to work properly (SET ANIMATION SPEED and SET ANIMATION VOLUME in particular). These need to be tested with all the different video formats supported by DBPro (fair enough - this will vary depending on the PC, but I mean for the formats listed on the box).

3. Please look into reworking the extraction of plugins system as I mentioned in the chat on Dec 23rd (and which you agreed with - something about loading DLLs from/into memory directly I seem to recall)

4. Shadow Casting is very slow and very buggy. Sometimes it will work, other times the shadow polys will appear in mid air or split up on the ground as if someone has taken a hammer to them. I know that you can make the shadows faster using the same technology because I have at least a couple of tech. demos sitting on my hard drive which can do this.

In addition, shadow casting and reflection shading cause nasty black banding on some graphics cards, I believe this might be related to the fact that the stencil buffer on my laptop's graphics card only has a depth of 8 bits.

5. Tabs in #constant precompiler directives still cause problems. DO NOT use the default editor to test this because the default editor replaces tabs (chr(9)) with spaces.

6. The compiler does need some performance tweaks. I realise that it is never going to be as good as VC++, but there should not be such a significant performance difference between DGSDK and DBPro. Improvements here would benefit FPSC, so this, to my mind, would make sense both from a commercial perspective and a user support perspective.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
G Man
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm sure everyone's already hammered the ones like the broken debugger. Here's what I'd like to see in addition to those:

- Error handling routines: I.e. "On Error Goto", "Resume", "Resume Next", etc... how can it be claimed that this is a language for serious development projects if there's no way to write error handling routines?.

- Better documentation... Not just the syntax, but also what are the possible parameters to a function or command and what effect do the various parameters bring about.

Intel Pentium 4, 3.4GHz, 1280MB RAM, NVidia Quadro FX3000/256MB, 240GB HD, XP Pro
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 05:06
Quote: "- Error handling routines: I.e. "On Error Goto", "Resume", "Resume Next", etc... how can it be claimed that this is a language for serious development projects if there's no way to write error handling routines?."

Not a bug - its a request.

G Man
Years of Service
User Offline
That it is... Well actually, more a plea than a request...

Intel Pentium 4, 3.4GHz, 1280MB RAM, NVidia Quadro FX3000/256MB, 240GB HD, XP Pro
re faze
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 13:14
for some reason sometimes when the camera gets close to a textured object, at some angles the object seems to vibrate/the texture gets fuzzy.
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 18:39
@Experiment 627

I've seen the vibration issue myself. I don't believe its a DBPro problem as much as a mathematical issue relating to the interrelationship between floating point maths and an orthagonal 3D matrix, such as the worldspace.

However, if one of the better mathematicians on the forums disagrees, I am happy to defer to their better knowledge.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P3.2ghz / 1 gig / GeForce FX 5900 128meg / WinXP home
Watt The Tyler
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi..

My plea is to Make DB Pro do what it says on the box. It claims to have an integrated debugger, but mine came with a random crash generator. It claims to have Tutorials, but I could only find one of substance, and the rest were simple code snippets. I bought this product to teach my 10 year old the basics of programming in a fun way, so that he could get results without having to go through steep learning curve of C++ or Java.

No debugger + No Error Handling + (almost) No tutorials = No Fun!

I have some sympathy for you guys, as I code for a living and I understand (all too well) what it is like trying to meet impossible deadlines...... but if I turned out code that didn't do what it said on the box (or in the manual) i'm sure I would have my 'Jacobs' cut off by someone high in government.

You have a fantastic product here, let down by some sloppy implementation. The potential for teaching and enthusing novice programmers is huge, but many will be put off by the limitations of the user interface, and the lack of a few standard error commands found in most other high-level languages.

Regards
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2004 20:24 Edited at: 26th Dec 2004 20:41
Quote: "but I could only find one of substance, and the rest were simple code snippets"

So you couldn't find those listed in the help file then ? See picture.

The debugger isn't the end all of debugging - trace statements are much better, especially as the resulting error code isn't changed. The debugger probably wont be looked at until March.

Quote: "but many will be put off by the limitations of the user interface"

What UI are you talking about ?

Quote: "However, if one of the better mathematicians on the forums disagrees, I am happy to defer to their better knowledge."

Pass - however, its probably where mipmaps come in - many are needed - one for close-up, one for not-so-close-up, one for a bit further away etc etc.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 01:58 Edited at: 27th Dec 2004 17:23
Quote: "Using the types byte and word as function parameters results in their values being changed."

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 04:59
I agree with Watt on the tutorial issue. There's only one (split into chapters) and it doesn't even cover half the command sets. Not nearly good enough .

Xperiment 627: I believe this is a video card/driver issue. I had that problem with DBP and most other DirectX games with my TNT2, now that I've got GeForce FX card it never happens anymore .

Thanks for the input everyone!

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 12:13 Edited at: 27th Dec 2004 12:16
Yeah I'm annoyed that it doesn't do what it says on the box. Its just false advertising if you ask me . Theres another stuff on the back of the box, other than the debugger that I'm annoyed about, such as:

BSP - Its unuseable from what I've heard

Advanced Terrain - nope, broken, and rather than fixing it they decided to release a terrain pack you have to pay for

Low level access of object data - I consider editing vertex data low level

DLLs containing FORMATED FUNCTIONs etc.. - Okay theres nothing wrong, I don't like the box shouting at me, its mean [/b]

Multitexturing -

There are others..but its 5:13AM here.

Cerry Mhristmas!
--
CURRENT PROJECT: Chaos Hizzle Demo
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 17:25
Quote: "Its unuseable from what I've heard"

Probably heard incorrectly...

Quote: "Advanced Terrain - nope, broken, and rather than fixing it they decided to release a terrain pack you have to pay for"

The latter is incorrect, and the only problem with the former is that set display mode crashes it.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 19:40
@Benjamin

I suggest that you construct your list from bugs that you have actually experienced, rather than speculation.

Quote: "BSP - Its unuseable from what I've heard"

Quake 3 BSPs work fine - I believe that problems occur with other types of BSP map.

Quote: "Advanced Terrain - nope, broken, and rather than fixing it they decided to release a terrain pack you have to pay for"

That is incorrect - there is a free terrain pack which does exactly what is promised on the original box. The advanced pack (which is not free) adds additional features.

Quote: "DLLs containing FORMATED FUNCTIONs etc.. - Okay theres nothing wrong, I don't like the box shouting at me, its mean"

Sadly it is beyond even Lee's powers to change the capitalisation on your DBPro box.

Quote: "Multitexturing -"

DBPro does this, I would just like to see a more flexible implementation.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games.
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 19:46 Edited at: 27th Dec 2004 19:47
Guys

I hate to be a bit negative but I think this thread is effectively useless at best and dangerously misleading at worst.

We don't really need another thread which lists bugs. We've already got a comprehensive archive of them in the shape of the bugs forum. That forum contains much more information both about the bugs, including useful snippets proving them, than any thread will ever do. I think Lee and Mike should work their way through that forum, just as they did in the intensive bugs week earlier this year. All this thread will ever do is just list specific bugs that individual forumgoers find personally annoying. Better and more scientific if Lee and Mike work their way through that forum. They can then first select and work on those bugs which are the more fundamental / important / higher priority. Besides, any thread just encourages debate and conversation rather than focusing purely on listing bugs. This thread is already evidencing signs of doing this.

I suggest that this thread should be assigned to the dustbin of history. Lets unsticky it and let it depart.

Cheers

Philip

PS: This is not to say that Mike doesn't already work from the forum. I know for a fact he does (as I've said before: Mike is a hero).

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2004 21:38
I think they intent to clean this thread up into a list of 20 bugs and only the ones with a good description and a link to the code/problem gets looked at. I'm sure they will look at the bug forum if they get through with this list.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 03:02:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 03:02:58