Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / NVIDIA Prize Justice!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 15:23
yer, i feel bad for you Wehtam, it suck u didnt get what was advertised, but in a way...a 1 level fpsc game getting you what you got is still pretty good...even tho its a very good fpsc level

Mods, its 500x100, so you cant tell me its bigger than 600x120
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 6th May 2007 16:14
After reading all of the posts on this thread, I would like to make one thing clear:

The whole purpose of this thread is to raise the issue of principles , irrelevant of the prizes on offer and the prizes received, irrelevant of the entrants submissions and their content.

If we were designated a prize, then we would expect that prize and nothing short of that prize.

Though there is one particular post from VanB on this thread which I'm afraid I have to address.

Quote: "I'm perfectly happy

it might be best just to accept it and make the most of the new hardware"

I'm really happy for you, that you received your designated prize. However it is obvious that you have missed the entire point of this thread, resulting in your thoughtless post, which hasn't really helped anyone.

With the possibility of four community members loosing out on the prize which they ( certainly I ) visualised, hoped and worked hard for, it's enlightening to think that you only thought of yourself, when you read upon the misfortune of others.

The fact that your a moderator deeply puzzles me.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 16:34
I was saying I'm perfectly happy with the results, not as a comparison to the people who got left kinda short. Am I not entitled to post because I'm not complaining?, yet other people are entitled to complain because it serves your needs?

I just thought that maybe a different perspective was needed, like one from a winner who isn't bitching about it. I'm not saying there's no reason to bitch, but I'm rooted in this thing called REALITY, I'm sure nVidia are crapping their pants right now about that competition they sponsored for us not going directly to plan. That's the attitude to take though guys, that's what get's results after all huh. My point is that despite not getting what you were promised, you still got really good prizes, far better than the usual, and far more of them to go around too. I see no reason why nVidia couldn't compensate, maybe with online store credit somewhere if they didn't want to build the things, but tact is vital in these situations, and I don't see a lot of that here.

My opinions here have nothing to do with me being a moderator, I'm freaking sick of people disallowing my views because I happen to have a badge. I was nominated to become a mod by the users here, another FPSC user bitching about me is not news mate, in fact there might even be a support group by now.

Good guy, Good guy, Wan...
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 17:01
Quote: "I'm really happy for you, that you received your designated prize. However it is obvious that you have missed the entire point of this thread, resulting in your thoughtless post, which hasn't really helped anyone.

With the possibility of four community members loosing out on the prize which they ( certainly I ) visualised, hoped and worked hard for, it's enlightening to think that you only thought of yourself, when you read upon the misfortune of others.

The fact that your a moderator deeply puzzles me."

And with that, my sympathy for you has instantly evaporated.

"Computers are useless, they can only give you answers."
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 17:02
hehe. Definitely a bit harsh there Wehtam. Van B is a goodun.

Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 17:22
I think Zappo hit it on the head with this one:

Quote: "'Judges reserve the right to replace specific products or prizes with others of equal or greater value if necessary'"

Or, at least in NVIDIA's favor for this. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that the prize for first would be:

Quote: "1st place: A complete PC system + game publishing deal"

The thing is, you can buy a "complete PC system" for cheap from a place like Dell or HP, for less than the value of the video card alone.

Van-B is right, you should be perfectly happy with what you did get.

AMD64 X2 3800+ | 1 GB Ram | NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
MSVC++ .Net 2003 | BlueJ | Wings3D | CharacterFX | Gimp v2.0
Formerly NWC_Omega
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 17:51 Edited at: 6th May 2007 18:02
Quote: "The thing is, you can buy a "complete PC system" for cheap from a place like Dell or HP, for less than the value of the video card alone."

Is this PC you talk about the same kind of spec you would expect from an NVIDIA competition? Because I would expect one of the top NVIDIA cards in that PC, and the other components would have to be fairly high spec to match up with it.

Also, this isn't a case of someone not being happy with his 'substitute' prize, it's a matter of principles and trust. If he doesn't get the prize as advertised, then while not being illegal, principles are still broken and trust is lost.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 17:53
So if the prize was a bottom of the line Dell box with 500 rootkits and viruses do you think that anyone would enter this compo? I sure wouldn't have. While entering the compos isn't just about the prizes it's certainly an incentive and gives you an end goal, when the goal you were working toward (a top of the range Complete PC System) is instead just 3 boxes and you must either sell them to make a crap PC or fork out lots of money to make up for the rest is stupid.

It's easy for people who aren't affected to say that they should just be happy with it, but at the end of the day I wasn't planning to build as PC as that means forking out more money I don't have to complete it, selling the parts isn't much of an option as I have no use for a lower spec system than my current PC. Also there are two other 'winners' which I'm sure won't be too happy when they find out they don't have a Complete PC system.

If this was a problem on nVidias side then they should fix the issue, it's not like they are short on funds to do it.

alex 1337
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2007 18:07
U got ripped off, thats messed up.
David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 18:10
Quote: "I'm really happy for you, that you received your designated prize. However it is obvious that you have missed the entire point of this thread, resulting in your thoughtless post, which hasn't really helped anyone.

The fact that your a moderator deeply puzzles me."

I too, have lost any form of sympathy for your situation. It's one thing to complain about prizes you may have not received (at least you got something) but a completely different one to 'bash' others when they state their opinion about the situation.

Also, you say "it's enlightening to think that you only thought of yourself". Well,isn't that exactly what you're doing? You're just 'bashing' Van's comments to keep this entire issue fixated on you?

09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 18:11
If it's any consolation at all, I have a lot more to shell out than the winners!

But as I said, I needed to spend decent money on a PC anyway and the m/board and gfx card certainly help - I know I'm not in the same boat in regards to being sold short by nVidia, but I do know how it feels to have hardware that needs serious investment before it's useful.

Personally, I'd be more peeved at the lack of news about the publishing deal, if they think the winning game is not upto it, well then they simply have never seen a Mastertronic game.

Good guy, Good guy, Wan...
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 18:16
What I want to know is if any of the people who won the contract to make their game actually got one.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 22:59
Quote: "At any rate, hopefully TGC can provide some answers tomorrow"
Isn't tomorrow a bank holiday in the UK?

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2007 23:19
Yes you are right! Go Bank Holiday!

Yes i was puzzled when i read the prize section in the newsletter.... Hope it all sorts out for you guys!

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 00:00
Talking of bank holidays, what idiotic question did someone ask my Dad...Are you working on bank holiday? Where does he work? A bank...
Unless members of TGC are unfortunate enough to work on a bank holiday, you'll have to wait another day.

Did The Buddha have a Zen micro?
French gui
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 00:17
@Wetham: Well, first congrats for your 1st place.Your work seems incredible, something you've worked on so hard, so I understand how disapointed you're. I desagree about complaining to Nvidia. TGC SHOULD do something because it's THEIR compo. Hope this will be sorted soon or it could be very sad for future compos...
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 00:22 Edited at: 7th May 2007 03:04
At the threat of being hugged by Van B, isn't the real joy of the compo letting Mods ,who are totally not TCG staff, win prizes with a life affirming breakout clone

I base this of course on playing the actual game, and not judging it on it's lack of a fresnel water shader.

<quickly hides van-b's mod tools before he puts a pretty ribbon on it>

http://www.KumKie.com http://bulldog.servegame.com
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 00:43
Quote: "TGC SHOULD do something because it's THEIR compo."

Dainel already posted that TGC will look into it.TGC is trying to make it right.Nvidia was supposed to make good on the prizes and apparantly did not.
Hopefully this will get straightened out since this contest went on forever and it took even longer to decide the winners.It is a shame when a big corporation is so damn cheap that they feel they have to screw an indie developer.They make all that money off of those cards they sell...they should be ashamed.

Quote: "isn't the real injustice of the compo letting Mods ,who are virtually TCG staff anyway, win prizes with a unimaginative breakout clone"

Good thing Van B has a sense of humor...otherwise you might find yourself on the wrong end of an unimaginative noob slap.
At least somebody is finding humor in all of this.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 00:49
Quote: "isn't the real injustice of the compo letting Mods ,who are virtually TCG staff anyway, win prizes with a unimaginative breakout clone "

Mods are in no way, shape or form, TGC staff. They don't get paid, and have to put up with comments like yours for no reward. They also have no affiliation whatsoever to NVIDIA, who judged the competition.

As for bashing the compo entry - that would appear to be a case of sour grapes. Take a look at your entry thread, Van B gave you nothing but praise and encouragement.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 00:58
I think he was joking around.And I think it's good that you pointed out that we are volunteers and we do this because we want to.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 01:05
Twas a joke, the sticky out tongue thing, the stage direction...Looks like he was trying to rustle VanB's feathers a bit

Did The Buddha have a Zen micro?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 01:26
Quote: "I think he was joking around"

Ok, I obviously missed the history on this one

soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 01:28
I actually found it quite arousing........

Yes, I have nothing of any value to add to this thread.

We are the angry mob, we read the papers every day. We like who we like, we hate who we hate but we're also easily swayed!
Redmotion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 01:29
"A complete PC system" now sounds like quite an ambiguous description.

Perhaps you should start a new thread asking the innocent question:
"If you won a competition prize described as "A complete PC system", what would you expect to recieve?". This could then form a basis for your arguement in that this is what the phrase is generally percieved as by the general public.

On the bright side, something is better than nothing - I would be pretty happy just to get "1st prize" in game making compo. I'd blow my own trumpet about that for ages!! Although, I would have only entered this compo to try to win a publishing deal. Anyone know if this has got going?

Good luck in sorting it out anyway. If you do write to either Nvidia or TGC (you should), be very amicable/polite/diplomatic in the manner of your writing to start off with.

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 01:45
Quote: "arousing"

Please, please, let it be that you were searching for the word "amusing"...

09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0
soapyfish
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 02:04
Or it could be "perusing" but that wouldn't make sense. If ya ask me, that soapyfish is a right weirdo.

We are the angry mob, we read the papers every day. We like who we like, we hate who we hate but we're also easily swayed!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 02:08
Quote: "On the bright side, something is better than nothing "

Remember that when you get shorted on your next paycheck.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 15:06
I lost all sympathy for you with your comment to Van B. Of course I agree that you should have your prize exactly like it was stated. It says a complete PC that's what you should get. But then again you have got the three most expesive parts for a computer so really you won't have to fork out that much money... But thats another story!
Contact Nvidia and keep nagging them that's my friends policy.

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 7th May 2007 16:22 Edited at: 7th May 2007 16:24
I hear a lot of people talking about sympathy. Which is something not required in this thread.

As so far I was the only one that had received my prize I felt it my duty to inform the others as they were probably expecting a complete PC.

Considering I was in discussion with Rick V about matters concerning my game anyway, I wondered weather any of the other winners had heard news of the competition mix up. I posted this thread to alert those individuals as soon as possible, and to draw attention to what has happened as I felt we had been misled.

I was angry to discover that at the point of posting this, other winners had so far received nothing. so for community members to say "make do with what we have", what does that amount to exactly ?

maybe i am bitching, but wouldn't you ? Can you really call it selfish to ask for what has been promised for 3 months ?

This isn't just about me.
filya
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 17:56
Wehtam, all I can say is I am sorry for you pal.

In case this is a case of 'misquoting' or 'delay in transit' or such, I guess you can wait a month or so. But even after that if you don't get the full PC system (or something of value higher than that!) I would really be mad at nvidia.

Nice of TGC to offer you a consolation, but Nvidia better come out and do whats right.

-- game dev is fun...but taking up too much time --
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2007 20:51 Edited at: 7th May 2007 20:52
Wehtam_ by any chance do you have a news program where you live that takes on these types of issues, to help the ordinary citizen?

For example, here in NY there are a few, like "7 On Your Side". Basically you tell them who or what company has caused you injustice, and what you have done to try and rectify the situation. Then they go to the companies, via phone calls, and physically with cameras (if need be) asking them about the situation and demanding action.

It seems that under these circumstances companies quickly resolve the problem, and "misunderstanding".

I'm pretty sure they'll find your brand new computer system on the dock waiting to be shipped, and Nvidia will be completely suprised that there was a mixup with your shipment.

Michael S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 04:59
Can someone by chance catch me up to speed on what is going on. I have been out and about and quite busy. Has anything been resolved yet?

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 05:16 Edited at: 8th May 2007 05:17
Quote: "For example, here in NY there are a few, like "7 On Your Side"."

Ha that's funny, here in northeast Ohio we have one called "5 On Your Side".

IMO it's a little early to be going to such drastic measures. Mistakes happen, people are human, I work in retail so I know how that goes. And it pisses me off to no end when the "public" instantly goes into attack mode and doesn't even give me a chance to rectify the situation when a mistake happens. Give it a little time and see what happens.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
My FPSC stuff at http://www.hyrumark.com
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Heh, bond1, I was going to post that. It's no coincidence really. Channel 7 in New York is apparently owned by the same company as Channel 5 in NE Ohio.

I have no signature...
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2007 22:12
this is sad,butters got his prize fine but i think he had a bunch of pc trouble after, idk about the rest, hope this gets sorted and the who would publish 1 level of fpsc? the games were limited and currently would be unpublishable. big giant messup
Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
1) Where does it list what parts will be in this complete system.
2) What is the definition of a complete system.
3) What is the exact location on the nVidia site where it discusses this challenge.
4) Where is the fine print regarding this contest. ( I don't know of any contest that doesn't have exact terms and conditions listed.

5) Where can I get a copy of your game to play or a video to watch that shows what you did that was so amazing to win.

Good luck.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 00:00 Edited at: 9th May 2007 00:01
Quote: "2) What is the definition of a complete system."

Unless specificed elsewhere, "complete" is defined as the dictionary defines it. But if you visit BestBuy, a "system" is the PC tower and monitor together.

At the very least, the system should at least include RAM.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2007 21:31
So, is anything happening with this Wehtam?

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2007 19:20
Well Mike and I haven't received our prizes yet so I won't blow too much steam until I see this for myself.

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 00:38
Sigh...
Darn it. I thought i'm gonna have a quad core...
Now that I read this thread, i'll try my best not to react much when I get 3 boxes too...
I never knew Nvidia would be this reckless... But I hope they'll fix this issue, or people in TGC will definitely think Nvidia s-- is really reckless...

I feel sorry for you too, Wehtam...

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2007 03:06
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for everyone. I'd like to believe that everything will work out, and the problem will be fixed. I'll keep watching the thread. Even though I didn't enter, I really can empathize with the disappointment.

I have to have faith!

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 14th May 2007 21:44
In keeping this thread up to date on the current situation I will quote myself on a statement I made within the FPSC board:

Posted: 12th May 2007 08:51
"For those wanting an update on the situation with Nvidia, TGC have said there is nothing they can do, and Nvidia have yet to reply to me. I believe FredP asked about the game publishing deal as part of the top prize ? Well I haven't heard anything from Mastertronic, so I'm hardly motivated to continue with the game..."

Since making the above statement on the 12th May there have been no further updates.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 22:30
Agreed, my mail box is still empty. Nor have I heard from Mastertronic(not that I was expecting anything).

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 23:19
Go ninja! Take down NVidia!

aluseus GOD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 23:27
I feel sorry for you, night and day?
Well, complain to nvidia, say why don't we ALL complain as a group complaint then they'll HAVE to correct it.

Your signature has been deleted by a moderator because this joke is getting old.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2007 23:33 Edited at: 14th May 2007 23:37
Well I have to say I am really disappointed. And I would definately think twice about entering any time consuming contest (that isn't just for fun) sponsored by TGC.

The only thing that I can do personally is not purchase GameSpace through TGC and not clickon the ads that I check out to help the site. I'll also think twice before buying an Nvidia card in the future.

That may be small chips, but It's what I can do for now.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 23:19
Were there plans on uploading the games at all? I'm not sure what they're waiting for, but it seems like enough time has gone by now.

Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2007 23:39
Would be good to hear an official word from a tgc staff member about the situation....

[center]
Dell XPS M1210 12.1" | 2Ghz Duo Core | 2GB DDR2 Ram | 100GB HD | 256MB Geforce Go 7400
Michael S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2007 03:17
Yes, Keith they said a few newsletters back that they would upload all the games to one page.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 16th May 2007 19:11
Quote: "Well, complain to nvidia, say why don't we ALL complain as a group complaint then they'll HAVE to correct it."

Does anyone have a good contact for nVidia?

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 11:46:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 11:46:56