Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / NVIDIA Prize Justice!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 01:36
sorry i hope this get's figured out and sorted out.

to the ones thats trapped inside of you, this is it!!
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 02:27 Edited at: 25th May 2007 23:20
Edited-Deleted post.

I went on a rant that didn't help anyone or anything. No one asked me to remove my post. I am doing it on my own, after sitting on the idea most of the day. I let some of my feelings get the best of me, and it really wasn't serving the good of the community. It felt good when I typed it. But the more I stared at it today, I felt it brought the community down.

alex 1337
User Banned
Posted: 25th May 2007 08:27
I agree
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 10:29 Edited at: 25th May 2007 10:33
Quote: "I used to defend this company. I used to believe in you and your dedication to your customer base. You exceeded any expectations of a business I had. I used to think that if I started a game business, I'd follow your model and practices. But now, It's like watching Vader turn to the Darkside.
"

I haven't been here as long as you have, but in the few years I've been here, I never felt like you have. Maybe part of that is because I'm a FPSC user and we for sure don't get the same treatment as DBPro users at all. The way I feel is that here it's all about making money. TGC has hardly made any effort to connect to it's FPSC users. We're still waiting for a good update that will solve the issues all of us face. We've been sold buggy software, with features advertised that don't even work and yet TGC has made no effort to correct those errors in their ads. The only communication I see is about FPSC X10 the next version. TGC makes sure we know all about it, but they leave us in the dark when it comes to the current version. While TGC staff may interact with DBPro customers, they make sure they avoid FPSC customers. We're treated as second call citizens and at times we've been even treated quite rude by TGC staff. Many FPSC users have left due to the poor customer interaction and support.

I've dealt with a good number of companies when it comes to game engines. Some of them had and still have great customer interaction. They help out, listen to their customers, fix bugs promptly and focus on a pleasant customer experience. That makes me use their software and above that it makes me promote their software to others. When it comes to TGC products, I don't recommend them to anyone else, I rather recommend alternatives that do deliver and where I know a new user will be treated fairly and well.

I'm glad that at least your experience with TGC has been good in the past, too bad it's not like that anymore in the present. We only need to look at this thread and see how poor TGC's customer relationship is. They still haven't taken the time to respond to this thread and give clarity. But I do understand why they don't... then they've got to come out in the open and correct their mistakes. It's easier to blame others for them and hope the issue will go away in the end.

TGC didn't have a good name outside of this community and lately it sure isn't getting any better. Seems like a lot of effort is done lately to connect with some major trusted names to gain credibility again, unfortunally that doesn't change the core issues and recent problems sure don't help either.

I feel bad for all of those cought in the middle and having issues they shouldn't even need to have at all and should have been sorted out by now.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 17:18 Edited at: 28th May 2007 16:42
Has anyone tried emailing Lee or Chris or even Nvidia? EDIT

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 25th May 2007 17:20 Edited at: 25th May 2007 17:20
Darth Vader,

Well, if you actually taken the time to read the thread, you would know that they have .

Best.

I'm sorry, my answers are limited. You must ask the right question.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 17:47
xplosys I have read the the thread and I didn't see were they said they emailed anyone! Maybe you would like to direct me?

Zappo
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 18:36
Quote: "xplosys I have read the the thread and I didn't see were they said they emailed anyone! Maybe you would like to direct me?"

I can if you like:
Page 1 (first post!) - "After sending a series of emails to Rick vanner, requesting answers as to where my prize has gone..."
Page 3 - "TGC have said there is nothing they can do, and Nvidia have yet to reply to me."
Page 3 - "I just sent an email to Mr. Perez expressing my feelings on the issue." (Mr. Perez is in Public Relations at nVidia)
Page 4 - "Well I sent the email to Mr. Perez and he responded quickly, sent a few back and forth and he was unaware of the problem."
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 19:42
Darth,

Sorry dude, I didn't mean to come off as rude, but ...

Quote: "Your all quick to get your sobs storys out about PR going down hill, but you don't do anything, do you?"

wasn't fair. Personally, I don't have an issue with TGC or the way I'm treated or the software itself. It is what it is, and I can go elsewhere if I don't like it, but what they did to the winners here was not right, and I don't blame them for complaining.

As for us not being treated well, there are some here who want to jump into every possible thread and complain about their perception of TGC and their software, but it's not relevant here and those people should just move on.

Best.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 20:25 Edited at: 25th May 2007 23:20
Some of that is my fault. I really need to steer clear of reading this thread anymore. It honestly has gotten the best of me. Every time I read it, and I have read the entire thread multiple times, I get really ticked off. I think I did a fairly good job of holding it in, and tried giving support, advice, help, and share some of my frustration.

Made my decision: Edited the rest out

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2007 23:21
I removed my post above. I thought about it a lot today. And it just didn't seem to be good for anyone here.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2007 00:24 Edited at: 26th May 2007 00:24
Too bad, I agreed with (alot of) your assessment and it's something that should be said.

Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2007 16:40
Sorry if I was rude! I had a bad cold (actually broncitis) and it got to me like all colds do! Sorry I'll edit my post too as it was rather rude!

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 13:31 Edited at: 1st Jun 2007 14:07
Ok, my thread got locked so I guess I have to move this here...

OMG, I was robbed!!!

"Hi Ed,

This game never made it into the competition, that's why no voucher was ever sent out. We had a number of damaged archives that we posted the names of due in the competition, but no one came forward, or resent their entries. I sent out competition e-mails at the time confirming when peoples entries where received. I suspect you will find that you never received such an e-mail from us.

Daniel."

1) My game has always been available for download from the nVidia forum, even if the upload was corrupt! http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=100011&b=32

2) My name/filename was not in the corrupt files list!

3) You confirmed my entry see below:

I was one of the few people who had pretty much a complete and playable game, i at least deserve a $30 voucher!!

p.s. during development I also proved there was a culling issue with DBP http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=101595&b=15

Can anyone who played DinoHunter please post here and say I deserve a $30 voucher at least or I'll cry! sniff

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 13:34
I was trying to reply when it got locked. LOL!

OMG... Now, if you don't get a voucher, this may be enough for me to finally snap!

Now I need to leave this thread before I say more

Virtual X
Years of Service
User Offline
jeez, you lot are carrying on like little girls lol, I see your point, it is very annoying if you have put all that work in and received different prizes, but I think your find that they reserve the right to change the prizes at any time! most companies will state this, read the terms and conditions.

Although you could always mention that your be taking it up with an 'Ombudmans' about this injustice.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 14:23
Quote: "but I think your find that they reserve the right to change the prizes at any time!"

But the exchange is usually for an equal or greater value or something comparable.

Quote: "you lot are carrying on like little girls"

I don't think so.I think these people have earned their prizes an,as far as I can tell,have been reasonable about it.
Possibly more reasonable than I would have been if it were me.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 16:18 Edited at: 1st Jun 2007 16:29
It's annoying because this community isn't very big, screwing us over for a compo is a big blow. There were like 100 entires? which is probably a big bulk of the active DBP / FPSC user base, if the prizes aren't awarded then that's just a slap in the face to everyone who entered. I still haven't got anything.

If the sponsors for the previous compos didn't hand out any prizes then no one would enter the future ones right? the same goes for if TGC hosted a compo with no prizes, basically no one would enter or make a serious entry. It seems that all the people who say we should shut it either didn't enter the compo or didn't place in it so it's easy for you to say that as you weren't expecting anything. I've been patient with past compos but this is the first where the prizes are not only delayed but significantly downgraded that they aren't even the same prizes.

Also a lot of people think we should just be happy with what we got as it's still worth a lot, if this were some sweepstakes compo then yes I totally wouldn't mind as it would have taken no effort on my part to enter, but this is akin to working at a job for 4months and not getting paid, instead you're handed a mug off your boss' desk, you'd think WTF! you wouldn't say wow a mug! it's slightly less than getting paid my money bug it's sure worth something.

Lastly the price of the prizes we may or may not receive is irrelevant as they could have just had cash prizes instead. I have no use for a motherboard / GPU and a CPU, however a Complete PC System would have been of great use.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 16:37
I have never joined a compo, I figured since I was a mod and fairly well off, I would leave it for the other developers to try for prizes.

Current anger seems to be at Nvidia and TGC for this.
Has anyone who feels unjustified, tried to resolve this amicably privately prior to the public outburst?
Whos is responsible at Nvidia and TGC so we can get a better re-pore for the next and progressive comps.

Im sure this can resolved without too much capital fuss.
Hang in there coders and companies.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 16:53 Edited at: 1st Jun 2007 16:56
Indi, if you've read the thread, you would learn that there actually has been intensive contact with both TGC and nVidia, before this was brought out to the public.

Quote: "Im sure this can resolved without too much capital fuss.
Hang in there coders and companies."

Perhaps, but it's very odd that almost one months later, neither company involved has taken the appropiate steps to resolve this.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 17:00
One way to deal with it would be the equivalent of what happened on Digg.com when they annoyed the users there by erasing articles mentioning the HD-DVD code, and everyone mention it on their blog, post it up on Digg and other places like that etc. It's a sure way to get some publicity for it which is more likely to get a response than a relatively small forum thread.

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 17:47 Edited at: 1st Jun 2007 17:50
I'm just wondering if mine was the only entry they lost? Is anyone else waiting for a $30 voucher for taking part? If there was others maybe there was competition nobbling, or maybe that's just my suspicious mind

If it's confirmed "recieved and filed for judging" you would think it was pretty safe your entry was with them!

heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
I predict that TGC's next contest (if any), will be more rigorous.

And it will be made so appealing that almost everyone will forgive any previous blunders.

I'm unique, just like everybody else.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2007 17:55
Kentaree, Your idea is something I shouldn't have read. But I really do need to have a quote in my sig....

I better wait though, and make sure it's not just the caffeine rush messing up my judgement.

Virtual X
Years of Service
User Offline
They will probably go to ATI next time ROFL ;o)
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 10:30 Edited at: 5th Jun 2007 10:30
Hi, my apologies for not posting sooner. TGC are still dealing with this issue and I can assure you that we want everyone to have a happy outcome. I have managed to find time to look at this now and we will come back to each winner directly. It may take some time yet while I work with NVIDIA and the affected winners.

From the outset I never saw this coming, so lessons must be learned for any future comps. I too thought it was clear as crystal but it's all turned a bit pair shaped. TGC will do the right thing, just stick with us.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 12:31 Edited at: 5th Jun 2007 15:32
Quote: "I don't think Mike intel has either"

Heheh, I wish i'm intel alright... heheh... (It's inel )
Yep, i haven't got mine... But i'll wait anyway...
(Besides, what can I do? I'm not the demanding type of person...)

Edit:
I got your email, Rick! Thanks!

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 17:58
Good to finally see a comment from the almighty TGC gods themselves .

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 19:46
OMG, I am so glad that I edited my rant. RickV, your post just made my day. My prayers have been answered.

Quote: "
Hi, my apologies for not posting sooner. TGC are still dealing with this issue and I can assure you that we want everyone to have a happy outcome. I have managed to find time to look at this now and we will come back to each winner directly. It may take some time yet while I work with NVIDIA and the affected winners.

From the outset I never saw this coming, so lessons must be learned for any future comps. I too thought it was clear as crystal but it's all turned a bit pair shaped. TGC will do the right thing, just stick with us.

Rick
"

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 19:57
Quote: "Good to finally see a comment from the almighty TGC gods themselves "

Just think how small this thread would have been if TGC answered this when it started. Great that they finally stepped up though.

Best.

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2007 20:13 Edited at: 5th Jun 2007 20:15
No money changed hands between TGC and nVidia. nVidia acted as a prize donor in exchange for free publicity. TGC can't apply too much pressure to nVidia because they don't want to sour their relationship (3rd nVidia compo now?). In my experience (which, in this case, is real) there's very little in the way of contractual obligations between the donor and the publicist, because it's all done for free. If money changed hands, it would be different.

nVidia have already got what they set out for - cheap publicity and a supposed sense of community. Your best bet is to hound nVidia.

It's poor, don't get me wrong. It's damaging TGC's community rep and nVidia look like a-holes. But technically, TGC have delivered to nVidia what they said they would. Case closed unless you kick up a proper stink. And by that, I mean do more than piss and moan on a forum.

--- EDIT : didn't see rick's post. erm... as you were...

I'm superfly TNT
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 03:20
(BUMP)
I think nothing's happening... And if I email someone from TGC, I think the response i'll get is "We're waiting for NVidia"

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 04:01 Edited at: 31st Aug 2007 04:05
Whoa thread back from the dead

I still not got an answer to why TCG refuse to give me a taking part voucher for Dino Hunter

It seems obvious to everyone else I took part!

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 07:11
Quote: "And if I email someone from TGC, I think the response i'll get is "We're waiting for NVidia""

I get the same too, I'd bet that TGC hasn't actually E-mailed them in months thus they've forgotten. Of course the only reason they aren't hounding them is due to FPSC X10.

Perhaps someone should create an ATI sponsored compo .

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 07:57
Man that'd be pretty sweet
Although can see half the forum not entering being like "oh the GF8-Series rox!" heh

It's quite weird how pear shaped this competition went given the PhysX one actually went off without a hitch iirc

It is the first time this has happened, so probably is a case of NVIDIA not being grand as a sponsor. This said it does sound like there wasn't much planning that went in before the competition, as such some miscommunication between the two companies.

Still god knows why NVIDIA would be fighting against it, given they advertised it on nzone; which means that those games still up there are bad publicity.. and seriously what is the cost of a few top notch hardware against the 8months of unchallenged GF8 sales?

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 08:14
Quote: "It is the first time this has happened, so probably is a case of NVIDIA not being grand as a sponsor. This said it does sound like there wasn't much planning that went in before the competition, as such some miscommunication between the two companies."

Or non-communication, ignorance and fraud. But meh...

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 08:25
lol yeah probably, i was trying to be more polite about it.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Something needs to be done about this. So I just want to keep the thread alive.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 19:22
Another post from Rick V please....?

-= Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals =-
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 01:24
I am emailing them. I promise to keep up the pressure.

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the heads up Rich. Even though I had nothing to do with this competition, I'm glad someone's listening to the forum. It's sad this stuff has to happen, and there's probably not much you can do anyhow, but sometimes it seems like you guys just don't listen to us.

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 05:02
Thanks for the up, Rick!
But I still doubt Nvidia will do something... >_>'

And what about GatorHex's entry??? I think no one even bothers to give him his voucher...

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 05:21 Edited at: 1st Sep 2007 05:49
I see they left my game out of the Newsletter even though it was one of the most playable. [expletives!!!] How can they send you e-mails saying "Your game has been recieved and filed for judging" then turn around and say you never entered! [more expletives!] I realy think sum1 at TCG has a grudge against me.

[i can feel an Indi moment coming on... i better get a coffee and calm down]

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 07:42 Edited at: 1st Sep 2007 07:46
Kinda almost makes ye want to go back to Game Maker. Great customer service, great price. It costs less than most of the DBP addons that you can buy from TGC...

Cheese weesle
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Kinda almost makes ye want to go back to Game Maker. Great customer service, great price. It costs less than most of the DBP addons that you can buy from TGC... "

Its not 3d though, i think.

Hmm, how the hell do i do that?.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2007 14:07
Quote: "Its not 3d though, i think."

It can do 3D... not brilliantly but it can do it.

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/22

[center]
Cheese weesle
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It can do 3D... not brilliantly but it can do it."

Does that mean no terrain ai phsics effects shaders or collision?.

Hmm, how the hell do i do that?.
Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 01:58
Quote: "Can anyone who played DinoHunter please post here and say I deserve a $30 voucher at least or I'll cry"

I think you deserve one.

Uhhhhhhh.... I forgot
vorconan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 10:52
Ouch, only just saw this thread. It's like when I got my Geforce 8800 GTS, then I realised not only did I not have the correct slot for it, but I needed a whole new power supply for that thing.

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2007 12:09
At least you got yours... (sob)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 07:25:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 07:25:35