Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / NVIDIA Prize Justice!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2007 23:57 Edited at: 18th Nov 2007 00:09
this makes me considerably mad. Only 2 things make me more mad, the first of which I wil not speak and the second zenicannin14's gimme teh code thread. <MOD EDIT>

alus.portbb.com go there.
[quote]A book. I hate books. book is stupid. I know that I need codes but I dont know the codes.[/quote} -zenicanin14 the stupidest user in the world.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 00:08
If you want this thread to stay open, refrain from discussing illegal activities, whether it be done in humour or not.

Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 00:12
Quote: "If you want this thread to stay open, refrain from discussing illegal activities, whether it be done in humour or not."
I have to side with BatVink here, bugging, spaming, or anything of that nature wouldn't help you get your prizes anytime sooner anyway.

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 01:12
Quote: "
Lol, on a lighter note this is were indi got his idea for that rant he performed before his 'dramatic' exit!"

Indi left?

RalphY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 01:35
Honestly, why doesn't TGC just go out and buy the prizes themselves?

Still not having sorted this out is ridiculous. I don't remember there being any problems like this with the Alienware compo, I guess Nvidia just isn't very good at sponsoring competitions.

Oh boy! Sleep! That's when I'm a Viking! | Super Nintendo Chalmers!
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 01:39 Edited at: 18th Nov 2007 01:40
Quote: "Honestly, why doesn't TGC just go out and buy the prizes themselves?"

It's not really TGC's responsibility. And if they do that, it'd be like they bought it for themselves (cuz if they were anything like me, there wouldn't be much money left after they finished spending it)

How would you like it if you had to spontaneously purchase a few high end computers and components for someone.

Of course it's getting down to the wire where TGC might have to.

The greatest multiplayer text adventure ever...
Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 02:11
I have to disagree with you totally Jerico....TGC should most certainly have bought the winners the prizes a long time ago, rather than hanging on for so long, waiting for NVidia to come up with the goods. Despite how it may seem the fault lies with NVidia, the blame will be laid on TGC for either not being in possesion of the prizes before the competition, not chasing up NVidia enough, or not coming up with the prizes very soon after realising NVidia aren't sticking to their side of the bargain. TGC advertised their competition with those prizes, so they should provide those prizes, whether out of 'their own money' or not...
I didn't enter this competition (I've entered 3 past ones), but I definitely wont be entering any future ones, and I'm sure many others feel that way.
A compensation prize to the winners should also be given, you can't expect to just hand over the prizes this late and everything will be ok

[center]
Dell XPS M1210 12.1" | 2Ghz Duo Core | 2GB DDR2 Ram | 100GB HD | 256MB Geforce Go 7400
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 02:17
Quote: "A compensation prize to the winners should also be given, you can't expect to just hand over the prizes this late and everything will be ok"

Fully agreed.

This won't stop me from entering compo's yet, unless something similar happens again. I guess they deserve a second chance like anyone else.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 02:22
Why doesn't TGC just tell us what's really happening?
I think they're hiding something...
Or maybe building a nice reputation with Nvidia, so they don't want to say anything bad about they're sponsor? (In case it's Nvidia's fault)
Or rather scared that people here might overreact about the truth?
(sigh)

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 02:41
Quote: "I think they're hiding something..."

Haha, obviously you've never worked for a bureaucratic organization.

I agree robin, but fact is, if TGC spends it, they'll never get reimbursed by nvidia, which is probably why they've (tgc) held off so long. TGC's a smallish company that can't afford to lose that kind of money (I'd imagine).

The greatest multiplayer text adventure ever...
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 04:35
If TGC were hiding something they would have deleted this thread a long time ago.

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 05:03
That would make them look more conspicuous, so they probably didn't... But you have a point...

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 10:58
Quote: "If you want this thread to stay open, refrain from discussing illegal activities, whether it be done in humour or not.
"

'Twas a joke, but agreed.

I doubt that TGC are hiding anything, it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that they'd do.

Sudoku arts, the rabi and Nancy DrewG
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 03:48
Quote: "Indi left?
"

A while ago. He turned really sour in one week.
Sorry to stray form the topic! I'll shut up now.

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 03:57
Quote: "A while ago. He turned really sour in one week.
Sorry to stray form the topic! I'll shut up now.
"

Wow, i didn't know. I saw him a bit ago. This caused him to leave?

[/semi offtopic]

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2007 18:28
He left because his expectations of TGC's products weren't being met. The manner in which he left....well, it left alot to be desired.

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2007 20:02
And those expectations were?

I see.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 05:26
So it's been another month and still no prizes. I thought nVidia were doing something .

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 06:09
If they'd be as fast as their videocards...

No, thats not right...

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 13:44
Should probably keep this thread up at the top till something is finally accomplished. I think they owe you a nice Alienware Computer at this point...with ALL the bells and whistles.

This is just ridiculous.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 15:42
Actually shouldnt this thread die already? Can't the involved parties take it up amongst themselves via email or phone or whatever?

My DBP plugins page is now hosted [href]here[/href]
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 15:56
I don't think it should die at all; it's a reminder to people who may be thinking about spending much of their free time trying to win a competition, only to get stiffed on the prizes in the end.

Rick had said that things were finally in motion a few months ago; but now we hear that nothing is happening. Whether or not TGC is a smaller company doesn't matter to the members who support them by buying their products. We all understand that nVidia is the one responsible for the prizes; but why should the members be the ones who pay the price by waiting till they get an obsolete prize? TGC should have paid for the prizes themselves and settled with nVidia offline; not make the members who made them the success they are today wait for them.

Am I wrong?

-Keith

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 16:21
Quote: "Can't the involved parties take it up amongst themselves via email or phone or whatever?"

To what end? All my e-mails get met with stalling. This has been over a year so far and I have no prizes what so ever, and the same goes for Mike Inel and probably a few others as well as the ones who didn't get the correct prizes. I can understand a mix-up with the wording of a computer to computer parts, however how can some of us get nothing at all?

Posting here puts more pressure on TGC/nVidia so it's more likely these issues will be resolved(though this doesn't seem to be working). Wouldn't you be making a stink on the forums if you had spent 3-4months working on a game for a compo which you won and get no prizes for, for over a year?

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 20:20
Well, it's been a while since i've last been in this thread. Trust me, i would love to see this thread disappear, but for the right reasons.

I've had nothing to do with NVIDIA in this contest. I didn't upload my game to their FTP, I didnt discuss my game on their forum, i didnt have my win announced in their online magazine... I have only dealt with TGC and so it is TGC who I have this issue with.

The fact that people have still recieved nothing is beyond a joke, quit frankly it's disgusting.

This is a classic case of pass the buck.

Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 20:41
Just curious... but couldn't nvidia be sued for breach of contract for this? I mean, you can prove loss of time for the comp, and time = money therefor its a loss of money...
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 21:04
Kieth and DarkCoder, no, niether of you are wrong - in fact, you are right and deserve justice. I wasnt questioning the topic of this thread or the dispute, I was questioning if the rest of us that are not involved in any way in this dispute, need to see or know about it via this thread. If this thread is the only recourse (not that it seems to be doing much good) then, please, by all means...

I hope everything gets resolved.

Robin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 21:24
Well I think it's good to keep it up on the board - I wasn't involved in this competition but I now won't be taking part in any future ones, thanks to this matter being brought to light.

[center]
Dell XPS M1210 12.1" | 2Ghz Duo Core | 2GB DDR2 Ram | 100GB HD | 256MB Geforce Go 7400
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 22:55
Quote: "I wasnt questioning the topic of this thread or the dispute, I was questioning if the rest of us that are not involved in any way in this dispute, need to see or know about it via this thread."

That's OK; I just hope this gets resolved to the satisfaction of the members who spent much of their free time on the entries.

-Keith

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2007 00:02
agreed

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 13:48
Can't let this slip.

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 14:02 Edited at: 10th Dec 2007 14:03
Quote: "Actually shouldnt this thread die already? Can't the involved parties take it up amongst themselves via email or phone or whatever?"

nVidia have received publicity via the competition in exchange for chipping in for the prizes. It is just, that nVidia receive bad publicity for not filling in their part of the deal.

Although it is very unfair that the winners did not get the prizes they deserved, it is not TGC's duty to make up for lost rewards.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 14:39
Quote: "it is not TGC's duty to make up for lost rewards."

It is because it was TGC's competition; they are continuing to let their customers/members pay the price for nVidia's underhandedness. It's going to have an effect in future competitions/community events here; more so as time goes by without a resolution.

-Keith

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 15:09
It is true that this has definitely brought on a bad light for any future competitions to be held.
This has most probably left TGC is a sticky situation. They don't want to burn any bridges they have formed with nVidia, yet they can't let their customers feel disappointed. It may end up being that TGC have to fork out for the prizes themselves, which should be the sponsors job. But if they can't come to an agreement, it is probably the right thing to do.

dark donkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Well TGC arnt in that of a sticky situation. It just a matter of trust in the company. I think with the recent buisnes on DarkGDK it would be a good idea if they held a comp with MicroSoft since they can Afford allmost anything . Also it might be an idea for TGC to get the prizes from the sponsor before teh comp then TGc can send them out to the winners.
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 15:28 Edited at: 10th Dec 2007 17:38
edit

a.k.a WOLF!
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 15:29
Quote: "Well TGC arnt in that of a sticky situation. It just a matter of trust in the company. I think with the recent buisnes on DarkGDK it would be a good idea if they held a comp with MicroSoft since they can Afford allmost anything . Also it might be an idea for TGC to get the prizes from the sponsor before teh comp then TGc can send them out to the winners. "

First, I don't think TGC should hold any kind of a comp with prizes again, until they deliver the prizes promised in the last one. You can't delegate responsibility. If you hold a contest, you are responsible for the outcome, not one of the vendors providing a prize.

Second, if they do hold another contest, then yes - it would be a great idea to get the prizes up front.

Best.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 16:41
The question is if nVidia is using these games for publicity, especially the winners that haven't received their prizes. If they are, I would imagine you could send them something akin to a cease-and-desist letter for using it, because if they're not sticking to the terms and conditions of giving you prizes, you don't have to give them rights to use the games.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 01:55
TGC has said that any future compos will be with the prizes already in their possession.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 02:27
Quote: "TGC has said that any future compos will be with the prizes already in their possession."

That's probably wise, although you would think that a big company like nVidia wouldn't want to pull a stunt like this for fear of bad publicity...but that's been discussed before I imagine.

"Ok, so that wasn't funny. I don' have any good Christmas jokes."
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 14:16
nVidia obviously doesn't care about stepping on the little people here, or they would've taken care of it a long time ago. There just is no excuse....none.

Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 16:08 Edited at: 11th Dec 2007 16:09
I only just read this thread, and I am gob smacked anyone who reads this thread and thinks it will make no difference is wrong, why you ask because I have been a TGC customer for over 3 years and even I have totally changed the way I think about them over this I really expected to see the end on this thread talk of the resolution. I nearly entered that competetion myself but found I hadn't the time if I forced myself to make the time and won... lets just say nvidia wouldn't even have a HQ "" lol

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2007 15:14 Edited at: 15th Dec 2007 15:28
Um, may i talk? Most will probably oppose to what i have in mind, but what the heck...

(Ahem)

TGC have already held many competitions, and i bet most of them are successful as i never heard of complaints from previous competitions about prizes... (I rarely roam in forum threads though, so i'm not sure...) I don't want to look at a company so bad just because of a single mistake...
(If they do this often, then i guess it's reasonable to say they suck... But so far, they aren't...)

Personally, i'm not looking forward for the prizes as i'm already contented with my computer parts... (Sure, you got Geforce 8800 whatsoever... So what if you, as a developer, are always limited to make your games compatible for other computers who always have lesser specs than yours... Besides that, DBPro never able to do the best of a GPU...)
I still appreciate getting the prizes if i get the chance though... Besides, this is just my opinion... Others still hopes to get theirs...

Demanding will not motivate them to give the prizes, but will rather make them pissed and will less prioritize the items instead... I mean, we never payed anything to deserve the great items, and they never used our games for advertisements so much compared to what they did on the Alienware comp entries...

TGC is already crawling, and if you are in the state of seeing your company falling, will you spend all your cash to provide the missing prizes, or will rather make another product to hope you'll get more cash from it and make your company grow back at the same time pay the prizes?

If you guys put TGC down, they'll fall for sure... No more DBPro/FPSC for us... (Gawd, i can't imagine myself without DBPro...)

Heh, many will say i just said that because i know i'll be disqualified... I don't really know the reason myself, but i don't care anyway... BUT, if my opinions are wrong and TGC is really a jack-ass, then i'll take back my words... I just hope they're not...

And i also hope TGC will at least read this... (sigh)

Edit:
Wait, wait... I'll answer my own post...
"So what do you want me to do? Wait? We're already doing that!"

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2007 17:23
Losing customers/members over this won't help them grow any faster, Mike. It's the whole PR thing. Again; you're satisfied with your computer parts that you've recieved....some people haven't received anything at all. So yeah, they're understandably "upset".

At least you've presented a differing opinion on the matter.

-Keith

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 00:01
Quote: "Again; you're satisfied with your computer parts that you've recieved..."

I didn't received any... I bought them myself cuz i know i'll be damn if i'll wait... =.='

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 02:37
Oops; I misread your post. I thought you were one of the people that was supposed to get a "complete" system...only to end up with a few cards instead. My mistake.

-Keith

Mike Inel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2007 08:11
Okay...
Quote: "Losing customers/members over this won't help them grow any faster"

You have a point...

Junkrock
Years of Service
User Offline
Disgusting! Maybe time to take it to the press...magazines and newspapers love this kind of information.

I'm sure TGC have been working hard but I don't feel like they are pestering Nvidia the same way we are pestering TGC. Maybe if this happened we would see more movement.

DaZ

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 02:18
It would just be nice to get an update, at least once a year on this.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 04:40
Quote: "It would just be nice to get an update, at least once a year on this."

lol. nice.

One man, one lawnmower, plenty of angry groundhogs.
Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 05:45
How hard is it for someone from TGC to call up NVIDIA and demand their full systems that they were promised? It would take 30 minutes at most. If they say no, keep talking to different people and keep pestering them until they say yes. It's ridiculous this has dragged on so long. It would take one business day from one person to fix it. On October 22nd, RickV posted:
Quote: "Good news, NVIDIA are sorting things out (at last). I have emailed the winners to let them know things are moving."

How freaking long does it take to sort things out? This is ridiculous beyond belief.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 07:35:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 07:35:20