Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / BlueIDE 2

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 03:45 Edited at: 10th Oct 2007 03:49
Quote: "Was auto refresh =N broken for R14?"
Actually I think auto refresh has been broken for a long time . The best way to take care of slow down (IMHO) is to not have the "Code" tab on the right panel selected or to hide the right panel. The biggest lag seems to come from refreshing the treeview. I tried to different work arounds but nothing producing good results.

With that said, I am currently working on a way to speed up BlueIDE 2 in regards to how it gets/displays information about functions, ... etc. I found a few processes that can be reduced into one and a couple that can be reduced. I've mostly been working with functions and have noticed a 20-40% increase (for functions only) so far. I was thinking that I would have to wait until v2.1 but I really want the speed increase for v2.0 .

Quote: "...by highlighting new functions I've written all of a sudden, etc"
Could you explain more about this???

Regards,

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2007 17:28 Edited at: 10th Oct 2007 17:40
Hi Balid-

I have the code panel minimized - I rarely use it. It might be sitting on the code tab and not a different one, but it is rarely in view. On a large file with lots of #constants I noticed if I scroll up or down with the arrow keys every 5th line or so it pauses like it is doing something. I also see some types, variables, or #constants which change from being highlighted to being left alone. This is why I thought maybe it was the auto-refresh code.

I have auto-refresh code turned off because it seemed to slow the IDE down for me. But as I'm typing out new functions and adding new variable definitions I see them eventually (after 5 seconds or longer) turn highlighted. It might happen more often when I'm using the arrow keys to navigate as opposed to the mouse. It was my understanding that the auto-refresh off would stop BlueIDE from looking through the code trying to pick up new definitions (thus slowing things down).

I don't have much of a problem with having auto-refresh off and having my new functions not highlight until I reload BlueIDE. Is that how it's supposed to work? If it is then I have an idea...

how about having a "refresh code panel" button or something which will actively go through the code and refresh the whole code panel (similar to what it does upon startup)?

Keep up the good work!

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2007 03:55 Edited at: 11th Oct 2007 04:42
tiresius, I think your right about whats causing the results you are getting. I am hoping that what I am working on will correct a lot of the slow down you describe. I am also hoping/thinking that once I get the "definition updating" efficent I will be able to remove the optional "auto-refresh" all together. I feel right now that it causes a lot of confusion on the user side and more head aches on my side .

You be one of the first to see/know if my improvements really are improvements, I mean really work .

Regards,

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2007 12:45 Edited at: 20th Oct 2007 12:52
BUG REPORT 1

A UDT that has the same name as a function can't have a space after it without the IDE putting brackets in.

Step 1
Enter this code:

Step 2: Attempt to enter this line

Result: When you press the space key after the first Distance, the IDE adds () instead.

----------------------------------

BUG REPORT 2

When you cancel the IDE from compiling, the compile window remains open. If you then attempt to compile again an error message is issued informing you that the project is already being compiled. It would be more user friendly if the compile window closed when the compile is canceled.

Note: This was an issue with BlueIDE 1 that has survived until now.

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2007 16:18 Edited at: 21st Oct 2007 02:53
Scraggle,

Thank you for the bug reports. I will look into correcting them.

[edit] Found and fixed both. However, your example also brings up a short fall of 'CodeSense'. 'Distance' is a function and 'Distance' or even 'distance' is an attribute of t_object, it is case highlighted as a function. Since the case highlighting is currently being handled by 'CodeSense', correcting this problem will have to wait until v2.1. Where I am planing to replace 'CodeSense'.[/edit]

Regards,

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2007 21:39 Edited at: 21st Oct 2007 21:41
Balid,
I appreciate your continued work, thank you. With that, I feel sorry to inform you that I have another bug report for you

Bug Report
Nested if,then,else conditions can confuse the indentation.

Step 1:
Enter this text:

Result:
The code is incorrectly formated, like this:

After the else when you hit return, the carat should align with the line if a = b. However, it does not. Instead, it aligns with the line above it, seeming to ignore the fact that the if is terminated with a then.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 03:45 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2007 03:47
Bug Report

A global variable with a tab after its name is not recognised by the colour coding system.

Step 1
Type in this line: Global myVar{space}as integer (where {space} = an actual space)

Step 2

Now type in this: Global myVar{tab}as integer (where {tab} means press the tab key)

Result:
In the first step the variable is colour highlighted, but in the second it is not.

[Edit] Whilst on the subject of colour highlighting, would it be possible to include it for UDT aswell?

Thanks

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 13:30 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2007 13:34
Scraggle,

Thank you for your new findings. Both sound like they are something that 'CodeSense' handles, so they probably won't be fixed soon. I am planning on replacing 'CodeSense' in v2.1 and I will focus on those issue then.

Quote: "Whilst on the subject of colour highlighting, would it be possible to include it for UDT aswell?"
I also plan on better highlighting and intelisense in v2.1 with the replacement of 'CodeSense'.

On other note, the speed increases are coming along nicely. I have updated how functions and labels are handled and have seen a 50% increase in speed when changing between large files.

Regards,

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 20:01
Sounds fabulous, thank you.
Do you have an estimate of when we a download will be available?

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 23:33 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2007 23:37
Scraggle,

It'll be at least another week before I send it to the re-release testers and then it'll be roughly a week after that as long as they don't find any major problems or bugs with it.

Regards,

Lover of games
Years of Service
User Offline
BTW, I meant to ask, is anyone working on BlueGUI? cause it hasn't been updated in awhile, if anyone doesn't want to maybe i could see if i can update it, change a few things, fix some bugs, something

"Originally I was going to have a BS on it but you know how that would be. I can't walk around with the letters BS on me." More or less a qoute by Syndrome from Jack, Jack, attack
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2007 03:17
Lover of games, BlueGUI or BlueIDE? I am still activity working on BlueIDE 2. However I had a major issue with my computer and lost the last 2 weeks of work.

You may want to check in the DLL section for BlueGUI if that is what you are actually asking about.

Did you ever get past the problem you mentioned with includes?

Regards,

Lover of games
Years of Service
User Offline
no

"Originally I was going to have a BS on it but you know how that would be. I can't walk around with the letters BS on me." More or less a qoute by Syndrome from Jack, Jack, attack
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2007 05:09
Quote: "no"
Did you try putting the includes in the order that I suggested??

Regards,

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 18:25
Just a quick update. Release 15 has been sent to the testers. There's a few bug fixes, some speed improvements, and preporation for displaying Function, Label, ... information from all files (open or closed).

Regards,

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 12:10 Edited at: 13th Nov 2007 12:12
*** SERIOUS BUG REPORT ***

========================================================
BlueIDE2 fails to open and re-downloading does not help!
========================================================

Step 1: Set the IDE to open previously edited code on start up

Step 2: Edit and save any file

Step 3: Transfer the file to another PC

Step 4: Edit and save the file

Step 5: Transfer the file back to the original PC overwrighting the previous code

Step 6: Attempt to open BlueIDE2

Result: BlueIDE2 appears to open but then produces the error "Error in project. No main source file specified".
Any attempt to open any project fails and BlueIDE2 is un-usable.

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 13:19 Edited at: 13th Nov 2007 13:27
Scraggle,

Thank you for the bug report. And it may be more serious then your initial report. I found that most of the dbpro file can be lost. (I simply removed the entry for the "Main source file" in a project of mine for testing.)

Are you using BlueIDE 2 on the other computer?

Please open the dbpro file in a normal document editor and see if the file actually does contain a "main source file" after it has been edited on the other computer.

I see that some controls are still disabled once the error message has been answered. I will take care of that before R15 is released.

After answering the error meassage, click on the "New File" menu option and then you will be able to open other projects.

You may want to consider turning the "Open most recent project on startup" option off for now.

Regards,

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 19:37
Yes, I use BlueIDE 2 on another computer, at least I used to - now it won't work. I got this error on my laptop three weeks ago but didn't file a bug report because I had no idea what had caused it. When it happened on my main PC I was able to test it using a 3rd PC.

Quote: "After answering the error meassage, click on the "New File" menu option and then you will be able to open other projects."

No, that doesn't work. The open dialog opens and I can select a file but it doesn't open ... nothing does!

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 20:21
Quote: "The open dialog opens "
Not open file, New file, in the toolbar (I think I may have misspoke with "menu"). You shouldn't have to open any files just create a new file, that will create a new tab and release all of the controls. But regardless of that, you should still be able to get to the options and turn off "Open most recent project on startup". Which should allow you to open any project once you've restarted BlueIDE 2.

Some how the dbpro file got corrupt and BlueIDE 2 appearant doesn't handle unexpected file errors very well. I was very surprised to see your bug report as I two use multiple computers running BlueIDE 2 to edit the same project but have never had that happen. I will have to add some validation checks when saving as well to make sure that BlueIDE 2 doesn't save dbpro files without specific information.

Regards,

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2007 20:25
Yes, that seems to work. I can now continue, thanks.

Unfortunately, as you pointed out, it has destroyed my source files ... and quite a lot of them too because I kept trying to open different projects to see if any of them would work.

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2007 03:28 Edited at: 14th Nov 2007 03:28
Scraggle,

I think I've found the parts of code that was casing BlueIDE 2 to fail like that. My current fix also seems to not destroy the dbpro file when loading a project fails.

I've uploaded the patched pre-release of R15.

Regards,

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2007 05:40
I have not been a good thorough tester I'm just doing my daily work of writing code and compiling it. :-(

I have noticed that the IDE crashes upon exit. It also happens with the latest exe you posted. I don't see any specific thing to do it and it doesn't happen all the time.

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2007 16:24
Quote: "I have not been a good thorough tester I'm just doing my daily work of writing code and compiling it. :-("
tiresius, just knowing that BlueIDE 2 is actually being used is good enough for me.

Quote: "I don't see any specific thing to do it and it doesn't happen all the time."
If you are able to reproduce the crashing please let me know. What is the error message you are receiving?

Also, have you seen any speed increase in the version I sent earlier?

Regards,

FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have noticed that the IDE crashes upon exit."

Yeah it happens very often , i tought that was my XP.
Now i know that im not the only one with that problem
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2007 06:04
Hopefully by the end of Thanksgiving I'll have tracked done the cause and corrected it.

Regards and Happy 'Turkey' day,

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2007 08:20
I have noticed a speed increase while using the up/down arrows to scroll through code. I still see some pauses when I use the left/right arrows and moving through a function <FuncName>(<param> line, and the function list at top blinks a bit when that happens.

I've also lost the color of all/some of the functions listed in a program, but moving horizontally on one of the function lines seemed to fix that.

But these are all minor things overall it is running much better.

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 10:40
Bug Report

Step 1: From the IDE Options,turn on "Open all includes when opening project"

Step 2: Open a project that has some includes

Result:

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 02:19
Hmm I always have it load them all up and it is not crashing for me. Perhaps the dbpro file is a little dirty or something?

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 12:13
Actually, it fails with the same error if you simply open an include file.

There is nothing 'dirty' about the include file that I am trying to open. It is just a list of #Constants as supplied with BlueGUI2.

@tiresius Are you using 15b? Because the error only occurs in 15b. Earlier releases are fine.

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2007 03:03
Scraggle, does that error pretty much seem to happen with that particular file?

And sorry for the rather long silence, I've been get back into playing the guitar and have not been reading the forums. I will look into why R15 would be acting that way.

Regards,

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
BlueIDE still clears the clipboard on compile.

http://3dfolio.com
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 08:03
Hi Scraggle yes I'm using the latest and greatest.

I can still get the crash on exit, but not sure what I'm doing to cause it. I might be closing the window while it's "thinking" or updating something.

Something I've found is the bottom status bar help isn't working very well anymore. I put my cursor on a command and it rarely updates. This causes help to not work too because F1 doesn't know what command you are resting on. It just doesn't seem to update. Sometimes you have to edit a line in order for it to recognize what command you're on.

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2008 05:35 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2008 05:36
Hard to believe it's been three months since I last posted.

Anyway, development of BlueIDE 2 has once again resumed. The change log may not be long but the ground work to have all functions, labels, ... from all files (open or not) to be accessable has been laid. R16 should see that option.

R15 Change log:
- rearranged Options window
- added option to select keyword case
- major speed increase for updating functions, labels, ...

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=90345

Regards,

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 06:50
The IDE seems to be a lot faster now, no skips or stutters when I arrow up/down through my code. Bottom status bar (quick help) seems to work better now although I just took a cursory look.

I'll be digging heavy into my project in the next few months so I will be testing Blue2 A LOT. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice to see you working on this. I should give it a go when I have more time. Keep up the good work Balid.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, DirectX10, DBPro 6.7
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 02:52
tiresius, I sent you any e-mail (a rather lengthy e-mail) in regards to the version of R15 I believe you downloaded (As there was only one by the time I was able to put up a patched version).

Olby, thank you. Please let know what you think once you've had time to play with it.

Regards,

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 17:59
Well done.

I think I've just found my new editor.

Feature Request:
Can you make it so you have the option of opening the "Open Project" dialog on startup instead of opening a default blank project?

Again, nicely done.

It's a big universe, and they are out there somewhere.
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 18:17 Edited at: 6th Mar 2008 18:17
KISTech, thank you. I should be able to add that. Are you aware of the option to automaticly open the last opened project?

Also, be aware that some bug's with Function, Label, etc "Indexing" have been found and fix's are under way so R16 will out sooner than later (after feature testing). I will see about adding your request to the R16 release.

Regards,

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 08:50
Great to see you are back on this project Balid!

I'm downloading now the update now

xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 13:15
Good to see this IDE is still being updated. Nice one Balid. Going to download and use now.

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 18:08
Scraggle, thanks and I love the new sig.

xtom, thank you. I'm hoping to be able to have updates at least once a month again.

R16 is on track for next week end. I fixed some more bugs with how I was (or wasn't) update some of the "Indexing" information. Looking at adding the suggestion that KISTech made and at least one more new feature.

Regards,

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 18:18 Edited at: 8th Mar 2008 18:18
Fixup variable case and casing for keywords seem to have no effect. Everything else seems fine at the moment though

As for my new sig ... thanks! It is part of a whole new update for my website that is currently in progress

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 17:45
Quote: "Fixup variable case and casing for keywords seem to have no effect. Everything else seems fine at the moment though"

Scraggle, Fixup for variable case seems to work for me but as you pointed out casing for keywords is not seem to work for all of the DBPro keywords. But BlueIDE 2 needs to be restarted when changing the case.

I will look into correcting it for R16.

Regards,

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2008 21:45
You are correct about the variable casing. maybe it needed a restart after applying the setting but it is working fine now

However, if you fail to put a closing quote on a line or end a line with a comma and no following parameter, you get an error (as indeed you should) but whenever you try to click back on to the line to correct the error, you get the error message again and again and again and ...

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2008 02:43 Edited at: 12th Mar 2008 02:46
Scraggle, I added scope keywords to the casing option. I somehow over looked those .

Quote: "...but whenever you try to click back on to the line to correct the error, you get the error message again and again and again and ..."
I was able to duplicate the error if I accidently double clicked on the line. However, if I single clicked I didn't get the error. I also see that once you do start into that loop that it is very annoying to got out of.

R16 is almost done but I will see if this fix can be added to it.

Would you be interested in being a beta tester??? I resently lost one to another language and I like to have at least three. And you seem very good at finding bugs and explaining how you came across them.

Regards,

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2008 15:29
I'd be happy to beta test for you ... I seem to be doing it anyway

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2008 04:33
Quote: " I seem to be doing it anyway"

send me an email to 'balid at users dot sourceforge dot net' I think you know what i mean and I'll send you the lastest version.

Regards,

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 20:21 Edited at: 21st Mar 2008 20:22
Release 16 has been posted

Change log:
*- bug fixes and other improvements with "Indexing"
- more rearranging of various controls
- removed 3rd party frame control (FramePlus)
- added scope keywords to the casing selection of keywords
- added option to have 'Open file' dialog open at start up
- added to refresh "indexing" by clicking the "Code" tab

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=90345

Regards,

Balid

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 05:21 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2008 05:23
Does R16 work for anybody else? When I click on BlueIDE.exe it flashes the splash screen then beeps and goes away quickly...

[EDIT]
Deleted the manifest file that came with it and it works fine. What is the manifest? Fancy XP window style or something? Oh well, glad it works now!

Silverman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 19:10
Me too.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 17:32:25
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 17:32:25