Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [STICKY] The Posting Competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 03:55
Quote: " But hey! Should I go ahead and save up for a newer AMD card or should I just get another 280x and CrossFire them?"

Crossfire is pretty unstable (as is SLI for that matter...). I'd recommend upgrading to a 380 or 390. What resolution are you planning on playing at? 1080p?
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 04:01 Edited at: 12th Oct 2015 04:02
I calim page!

EDIT: 3 pages in a row this is getting too easy you guys.

@Dar13:

I usually play at 1440p, and I probably will save up for a 390X instead of buying a second 280X, as I can't even find one (besides the XFR) for a decent price.

I would go with a 980ti if I could afford it, my friend just picked one up the other day and it's stunning. Anybody have $649 they want to loan me? My birthday is the 17th after all

Forum President until June 20th, 2016.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 04:13
First person to prevent Yoda from getting page loses the game
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 05:07
Quote: " I would go with a 980ti if I could afford it, my friend just picked one up the other day and it's stunning. Anybody have $649 they want to loan me? My birthday is the 17th after all "

Yeah the prices on those are pretty ridiculous, as are the prices for the Fury X. As I'm likely to stick with 1080p until VR comes out I usually can stay a tier or two behind just fine. Though I'm starting to feel the push to upgrade my ol' reliable 7870. Looking like the 390 for me.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 10:33
Yeah the 390X is probably what I'll save up for. Probably this MSI one right here.

The Post above Dar13's Post wrote: "First person to prevent Yoda from getting page loses the game"

Wait, THE GAME, or The Posting Competition? Can it be said if I manage to get five pages in a row that I'll win The Posting Competition?

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 13:28
Nah, THE GAME. If you do get 5 pages in a row however, we could call you a Posting Competition leader. (we need a badge for that )
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 17:16
Yodaman Jer wrote: "Yeah the 390X is probably what I'll save up for. Probably this MSI one right here. "

I almost went for 390X myself and then saw that the GTX980 wasn't massively more expensive (I've got the MSI one) and they were offering MGSV free with it. I think for me the difference was around £50 and MGSV was £45, so figured as I was gonna get MGSV when it came out anyway, it was a good deal.

I am very happy with my MSI TwinFrozr GTX980 now. I like some of the tools MSI included with software. Seems like a solid card. My only annoyance in installing it was that I was replacing an ASUS (GTX770) card and the power sockets are the opposite way round and my PSU power cables were already bent and kinda molded themself to be that way round, so I had to fiddle about with it to properly get them to fit in my case without causing any issues.

Also, I finished Undertale yesterday and with the perfect ending. It was a very good game in my opinion, touches on your sensitive side. I would recommend it, it's quite a basic looking game, like old JRPG's, but the characters and story are well written, to the point where you end up caring. And the battle system is challenging, because it uses something similar to Final Fantasy & Phantasy Star, yet has a Shoot 'Em Up element to it. Every monster you encounter allows you to deal with them in two ones, one, you can go the traditional RP route and battle that enemy, kill them and earn EXP and level up. Or, you go for the peaceful option and try and befriend the monster through kind acts, but by doing this you cannot gain EXP and cannot level up and this will make things more challenging for you, because you only have a small amount of HP and there are times when you might want to kill the monster and it will in some ways punish you for being nice (but also reward you). However, you can complete the game without killing ANYTHING and you can build friendships with characters in the story, depending on how you've dealt with them. The game has a lot of humour and tender moments. And the actual boss fights? There's some really good an interesting ones and the game best picks up about half way through. I especially loved the boss fights towards the end, the last two in particular (no spoilers though). The game also has a habit of breaking the 4th wall, but does so effectively and it actually adds to emotion of the game and isn't a "yeah, woo, we're breaking the 4th wall", it has purpose. But the game has given me so much of conscience over it, I don't want to erase my save and start fresh. Possibly not for everyone as I guess not everybody likes something warm and fluffy, but it has its complexities and so far overwhelmingly positive reviews and seems a very few out there dislike it. Despite being so simple, is one of the best games that I have played in a long time. Played a good 16 hours start to finish, has replayability as the game itself changes based on your morality (and you get different fights and plot as a result too), if you don't mind wiping your progress, if you've got the perfect ending first time, you'll understand why you might not want to. Also there's word of more content being added to it.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 18:27
Quote: " I almost went for 390X myself and then saw that the GTX980 wasn't massively more expensive (I've got the MSI one) and they were offering MGSV free with it. I think for me the difference was around £50 and MGSV was £45, so figured as I was gonna get MGSV when it came out anyway, it was a good deal. "

The trick with that comparison is the resolution. The 390X trades blows with the 980 in 1440p and up due to the increased VRAM.

I just hope AMD sticks around, because otherwise our only hope for competition is Samsung for CPUs and who knows for GPUs.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Samsung make desktop CPUs?
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 19:14
They're one of the largest semiconductor chip makers on the planet though they mainly make ARM right now. No one else is big enough to compete with Intel.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 21:58
UGH I had typed up a great post and then internet wouldn't let me post for some reason. Maybe it will show up later? Who knows. It wasn't really that great to be honest.

Anyway, I was saying that I don't think AMD will disappear anytime soon, sure their stocks certainly aren't the greatest right now but I doubt they'll just fold like that. Plenty of companies bounce back and I'm sure AMD will soon.

The main problem with AMD, sadly, is that a lot of consumers still think they're ATI cards, which were notorious for having horrible and unstable drivers 10+ years ago. I know many people who had used ATI cards in the late 90s who now will not touch anything other than NVidia/Intel, because of so many issues they had in the past with ATI Radeon cards.

But, now they're AMD, and AMD rocks, flat out. Sure, the power usage is more than I would like, but the tradeoff is that you get parts at a lower up-front cost, and as long as you remember to shut your computer off when you don't need it/don't want to use it, you can keep it that way. I know several people like to argue over this fact, and yes in several places where the cost of electricity is high it surely could be a concern, but even so I still like AMD.

Even so, I will still admit the 980ti is a nice, NICE card. But I think I'd still rather have the AMD Fury X.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2015 22:52 Edited at: 12th Oct 2015 22:54
The more you know!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
But Yodaman, the power consumption is 3x that of Intel, for less performance.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2015 05:06
Quote: " But Yodaman, the power consumption is 3x that of Intel, for less performance. "

I think he's referring to AMD's GPUs rather than their CPUs. AMD CPUs aren't really worth it unless you're doing a fairly low budget build, at least until Zen comes out. At that point a re-evaluation is in order.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 13th Oct 2015 10:37
Yes, I was referring to the GPUs, although I do have an AMD 8350 CPU. I was on a very low budget when I built this PC last year!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 14th Oct 2015 12:22
Another whole day of no activity... busy we are...
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 14th Oct 2015 21:40 Edited at: 14th Oct 2015 21:41
That may also be due to the weird glitches I had going on here.

I kept timing out and couldn't access any threads for at least two hours. I could access boards, but no threads. Very, very strange.

But, of course, it could also be that people just aren't interested in the Geek Culture board anymore. And the AppGameKit boards are taking quite a hit lately too.. I guess with everyone being back at school and what-not the forums will be very slow until the next school break

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2015 21:43
I know both TheComet and I are busy with school-related things and I'm sure a lot of others are as well.

Luckily this is my last year.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2015 00:47
Quote: "This kind of stuff blows my mind. HOW can the cell know how to do all of this?"

I love those videos! Regardless of your beliefs on where life came from, you can't deny the inside of a cell is freaking AMAZING!

Quote: "I really do find it hard to believe that "chemicals came together" and suddenly "cells are born and start reproducing". That's a HUGE gap, there's more to it than that."

Mmm. If you don't believe the universe was created by a supernatural being, then evolution is the best theory humans have as to where life came from... but due to the fact that we have very limited (i.e. non-existent) ability to go back in time, there are definitely some vague parts to the theory.

Quote: "Eukaryote organisms (such as ourselves) have very large portions of "nonsense" sequences in their DNA strands called introns. As far as today's standards in science can tell, these sections of DNA are useless. In fact, they are even discarded from the RNA strand after transcription by splicing the relevant parts together before being expelled from the nucleus.

There are many theories as to why introns even exist. The most commonly accepted theory is that introns allow for alternative splicing, which enables a single gene to encode multiple proteins. The order of the relevant sections just needs to be switched around.

There are also theories that claim aliens have encoded messages into those sections of our DNA. This sounds ridiculous at first, but if you really think about it, DNA is one of the longest lasting mediums for storing information. If aliens did encode messages into the irrelevant sections of our DNA, those messages would be past on for as long as humans exist (or at least as long as that family tree of humans reproduces)."

Cool, I didn't know that.

Yeah, DNA definitely would be an exceptionally good method of storing data a long, long time!

Quote: "Another whole day of no activity... busy we are..."

I haven't been on here because I've been sick since Monday with a horrible flu thing. Not sure what it is. On Monday at work I started feeling very sore all over and by 2pm was too weak to actually work, so had to go home. I drove home in short bursts because I was tiring very quickly. When I got home I flopped into bed, got my brother to bring me some Ibuprofen and went to sleep. I was feeling fine on Tuesday except for a sore throat.... which has not gone away and has gotten worse 'til today. Right now the only way I can swallow at all is after taking Ibuprofen. The past few nights have been a real-life nightmare: pain, confusion, waking every half-hour, completely deaf, hardly able to breath... not much fun.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2015 01:50 Edited at: 15th Oct 2015 02:02
Ouch, that sickness sounds tough. I hope it all clears up soon!

Gaaahhhh, modern software really annoys me sometimes. Especially unpermitted automatic updates! I would like to be able to restart the programs I run without them updating, but sadly fewer and fewer programs are allowing that these days. Spotify has been that way for a time, and now Skype has followed suit -- I had an old version of Skype (from roughly a year ago) that didn't look hideous and actually allowed you to choose whether you update or not. When I reinstalled Windows 7, I had no choice but to get the new version of Skype, which updates itself automatically when you restart it! What a joy!!!!!!

So the other day, I restarted it, and it came back with a giant bar on the right side (takes up a good quarter of the screen) which is either empty or displays ads (none of which take up even a third of the allocated ad space). What's worse, whenever it chooses to load a new ad, the whole application freezes and becomes unusable. When that happens once every 30 or so seconds, having a conversation with someone is a little difficult. Complete fail on Microsoft's part there. At the very least, the interface should run on a separate thread from the other bits of the application to ensure that user experience isn't interrupted by silly things like ads. /rant

Time to see if an old ad blocking hack still works.

Hey, it did work! Neat.

Ooh, it's getting to be time for another banner competition eh?
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "unpermitted automatic updates"

HATE

I had a problem with Skype where loading a new ad stole focus from the text box. I also noticed that they used Flash.
320x224
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 15th Oct 2015 18:29
Hey Randomness, are you still playing on my server? No one else has joined and if we're the only two I'm going to have to shut it down since it's costing me money.

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 15th Oct 2015 21:05
Does anyone here have a Fermi/Maxwell (or fermi/kepler) GPU combination on windows 10? Supposedly latest nvidia drivers fixes the combination, but I want to know for sure before I try again.
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2015 23:06
Hooray for a flying T-Rex, I shall name him, Batrex.

I was sat on a T-Rex who was sat on the back of a Quetzl flying from one side of the island to the other, in ARK. I love this game, too addictive.
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2015 01:10
@Yoda what type of game are you hosting?
Beta Test Age of Knights:https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_AgeOfKnights
Download JellyFish Dive:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hey Randomness, are you still playing on my server?"

Yes.
320x224
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2015 03:23
Quote: "I had a problem with Skype where loading a new ad stole focus from the text box. I also noticed that they used Flash."
Pft! I assume you figured out how to get rid of the ads. If not, it involved deleting a line in an XML config file in Skype's appdata folder.

I also used that folder to change a small portion of Skype's text color to pink, which was pretty awesome. Beyond that though, it seems like Skype has no UI configuration options at all. Pfft!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2015 11:35
Quote: "@Yoda what type of game are you hosting?"

and can we play too?
\"Windows 10 doesn\'t only include spyware, it is designed as spyware\" -- Gaius Publius, The Big Picture RT Interview
\"[...] we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary\" -- Windows 10 Privacy Statement
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 16th Oct 2015 14:32
AH ha, it is Minecraft that I'm hosting. I thought I had put the link in my signature but apparently it never saved and I never noticed until now

And yes, anyone on here is welcome to join in on the blocky fun! IP: 162.244.165.21:50144

I recommend you use the direct IP because the actual link MCProHost provides can be very flaky and only works about 25% of the time, for some reason.

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2015 22:42
Ah MineCraft, I have never played it but it has always seemed interesting.

I was finally able to get away from my limited bandwidth ISP.
So now having unlimited bandwidth I no longer hate you guys for posting ridiculously large photos
Beta Test Age of Knights:https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_AgeOfKnights
Download JellyFish Dive:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2015 23:25 Edited at: 16th Oct 2015 23:26
Quote: "I no longer hate you guys for posting ridiculously large photos"

Attachments

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 17th Oct 2015 15:50 Edited at: 17th Oct 2015 15:53
My bandwidth is unfortunately limited to 250GB/month - but even though my family uses a lot of data, we have never gone over it. Our highest month we used about 237GB, and that was with me downloading multiple Linux distros, GTA V twice, Civ 5 twice and streaming several movies with the gf.

EDIT: I had to spend $158 yesterday for glasses. My eyes are so bad right now, especially my right eye, that I can barely see more than 10 feet in front of me. The glasses should be ready no later than the 27th, but they said it's usually done 3-4 days earlier than that. Phew!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2015 19:22
\"Windows 10 doesn\'t only include spyware, it is designed as spyware\" -- Gaius Publius, The Big Picture RT Interview
\"[...] we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary\" -- Windows 10 Privacy Statement
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 17th Oct 2015 20:22 Edited at: 17th Oct 2015 20:22
HORSIE!
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2015 01:56
Quote: "Ah MineCraft, I have never played it but it has always seemed interesting."

I fear it may have become somewhat like WoW, where unless you played it when it was near its first release you may not fully understand why people have such a love of the game. My recommendation is that if you have friends, play with them. Playing by yourself, while still really fun for a long time, can become boring more quickly than it should. Also, try mods! Mods are the heart and soul of Minecraft's longevity. Without mods it would never have become so big.

Quote: "My bandwidth is unfortunately limited to 250GB/month - but even though my family uses a lot of data, we have never gone over it. Our highest month we used about 237GB, and that was with me downloading multiple Linux distros, GTA V twice, Civ 5 twice and streaming several movies with the gf."

In our house we have three separate internet connections.

The first, original one is the satellite internet (known as Skymesh due to the ISP). It's very, very fast, downloading Steam games at up to 2MB/s, but also super laggy due to the length of time it takes radio waves to fly out into space, be processed and come back down again (on average 600-1000ms of ping), making it useless for multiplayer games. It is capped at 2GB/month peak time (7am to midnight) and 180GB/month off-peak time (midnight to 7am). We don't use it much any more.

The second one is the tethered 3G Samsung Galaxy S2, connected to a Raspberry Pi, which is providing unlimited but not very fast internet to the entire house (known as Housenet or just Optus). This is the most-used connection. It uses one of the unlimited $2-day sim cards that Optus foolishly sold for a short time a couple of years ago. These sims sell on eBay for several hundred dollars because they provide unlimited data, text and calls for $2 a day. The phone has its rear cover removed and a short patch lead attached which goes outside to a tall external antenna.

The third one is a second tethered 3G phone, this time a Galaxy S3 with the same patch-lead-to-antenna setup, but this time there's no Pi (known as Busnet). This connection is one my brother and I pay for and is exclusively for use within the bus (we live in a converted blue bus next to the house - on the outside it looks like a bus but on the inside it's just a normal, if long, room), and uses our second unlimited $2-day sim. Since it's only for use in the bus we can simply turn on the phone's hotspot and connect wirelessly. The reason for having our own connection is that the tethered 3G has very limited bandwidth, and if I'm playing CS:GO and someone opens a webpage, I'm guaranteed to instantly start spazzing. You'd think tethered 3G would be terrible for online games requiring lightning reactions like CS:GO, but (most days) it's actually super stable and I get 60-80ms ping. Of course, I could play just fine on 100 ping, but the more important variable is ping stability, and that's where this connection sometimes falls down. If my ping is going 60-90-150-90-130-60 I'm not going to able to play. It's frustrating when that happens, because the vast majority of the time this internet works perfectly for gaming.

If you bothered to read this entire post you're probably wondering why we go to such lengths to get good internet. Well, it's because this is LITERALLY the best setup we can get where we live. There is no better option. We can't get ADSL because we're in the sticks, satellite is crap for online games and even browsing, and the official wireless options are expensive, limited and less reliable than our current setup. If we ever move to town (or when I eventually move out to live by myself) I will gladly and immediately pay up to $300/month for lightning-fast high-end business-grade internet. I'm sick to the back teeth of being told we can't get decent internet where we live... but I'm also extremely grateful we managed to work out our current setup, because without it, we'd still be waiting 10 seconds for webpages to load.
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2015 04:35
Quote: "My bandwidth is unfortunately limited to 250GB/month "

I was capped at 20Gb for 1.5 years.

I live on a farm and DSL had just come available.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2015 06:16
Quote: "20Gb"
Gigabits or gigabytes? Gigabits would be not much.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2015 16:35 Edited at: 18th Oct 2015 16:38
You guys should listen to Solar Field's RED, GREEN, and BLUE albums. His music is so trippy/ambient/deep. This is the band behind Mirror's Edge's sound track, if you didn't know already.

Skip to about 3:00 in this song:

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 18th Oct 2015 16:51
Hmm I think I found a pretty intriguing engine!

jMonkeyEngine, which uses Java (which I'm very familiar with since it's so similar to C#), it has some really cool features.

I'm sick of Unity3D not cooperating with me (it will keep telling me I have an invalid license and I have to reactive it every single time I want to work on my project), and Unreal is just way too complicated for me.

I would wait for AppGameKit to have better 3D commands and such, but I also want a language that offers proper class support and OOP concepts.

With jMonkeyEngine, you can choose to construct scenes in its scene editor, or you can program it all in entirely - up to you! I would probably use the scene composer but otherwise it is all programming!

pcRaider
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2015 04:36 Edited at: 19th Oct 2015 04:47
Nintendo of America Inc. Nintendo eShop

Nintendo 3DS
"SmileBASIC"
2015 SmileBoom Co.Ltd.

http://smilebasic.com/en/

http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm3/ogiri4/
windowsXp
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2015 20:59
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2015 01:43 Edited at: 20th Oct 2015 01:45
anyone want to guess what those orange barriers are?

Attachments

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2015 03:17
Finally putting in an electrical line eh!

Nah, but based on the context I would presume they are installing some sort of internet connection dealy.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2015 07:24
It's the conduit for google fiber on my street. They've put in some thick orange PVC about 2 or 3 feet down. It's pretty neat, they don't dig trenches, just a hole at each house then they use what looks to be a high pressure water drill to run a horizontal shaft and extend the conduit to the next hole. The whole neighborhood is supposed to be live by next summer.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2015 18:17

This is the only way to get me out of bed early.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 20th Oct 2015 18:28
Just found out today that corporate will be cutting hours massively in the next week or so at my store. I will no longer have 37+ hours per week, in fact I'll be lucky to get even 30...

Well guess it's time to look for a new job.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Oct 2015 23:25
C++ still hurts my head.

So apparently the hour cuts are going to be slightly worse than I thought, the company will absolutely not allow anyone to go over 30 hours a week, no matter what. This wouldn't be such a big issue if the pay was a lot better, but here's the real kicker. Lots of people are on the work-provided insurance, which you are only eligible if you work an average of 26-30 hours a week. But apparently corporate wants all managers to try their best to only schedule people for 25 hours a week, which is just under the requirements for the insurance. It really should be illegal, shouldn't it? There's already talks of people wanting to either quit on the spot or start a strike...

Yeah, I am so looking for another job. This company that I work for is becoming more and more greedy, and is now going to rob me of the only benefit I have of working there, which is the health insurance.

This company is Schnuck Markets, INC., and they are located in the St. Louis, Missouri, if anyone wants to send them any hate mail on my behalf.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2015 00:33
Quote: "It really should be illegal, shouldn't it?"
Eh, that's capitalism for you. I do support capitalism in this principle, but that definitely does sound frustrating. But hey, hopefully a new job will treat you better.

My mom works a company that actually legitimately cares about its employees (a big company too). It's First Bank; they're relatively small (compared to the big national banks) and only service this side of the country. They are, however, one of the bigger local banks. My mom works as a customer service rep (probably one of the lowest ranking jobs there) and yet they never fail to make her feel appreciated and special. At least once per week, the supervisors go out and buy a relatively expensive lunch for each of the employees (such as foot long subs from Jimmy Johns). They are constantly passing out other free snacks and food throughout the day. A couple times per year, employees each get to go out with a supervisor and a few other employees, go to a restaurant of their choice, and order any item, all paid by the company. To top it all off, last week was "employee appreciation week" at the company, and each day I believe they brought in food and a variety of other small prizes (like clothing and mugs) that were given out to all of the employees.

So there are companies who do very much care, which should instill hope! It's just about finding one of those companies.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Oct 2015 02:28
Haha my parents had First Bank as their bank back when we lived in Colorado! Which was ages ago.

I know there are companies who legitimately care about their employees, but Schnucks is not one of those companies. Costco, however, certainly is, and although there are none around my area (closest one is about an hour north of my present location) I really wish I could work at one. They actually pay a living wage and actually care about working conditions and such for their employees.

I might have a lead on a second job for the moment which would at least help balance out the lost hours from my primary job, but not by much. I'm making $9.40/hour at Schnucks, and this place only pays $7.50. But hey, have to make up the difference in some capacity...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 10:44:57
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 10:44:57