Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [STICKY] The Posting Competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2015 08:51
I deal with Costco at work, and it is the US contact centre who call us, I've always had a good impression of them, staff seem nice, seem to care about customers and seem quite jolly. Compared to a lot of retailers who originate here in the UK, it's a breath of fresh air, like Currys, whose staff can be poorly trained and argumentative. Though not all of our retailers are bad.

But I do wish you the best on the job front. Whether it's a second job or a new shiny one.

I just got a new job myself. IT tech support and sales. Will be interesting. My current employer were decent about it, said if things didn't work out, they'd offer my job back in a heart beat.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Oct 2015 15:50
4th page claim in a row

Forum President until June 20th, 2016.
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
@Yodaman Jer
I used a mod to save a copy of your server's world so I have a backup of everything I built in case you have to shut it down.

Quote: "I thought I had put the link in my signature but apparently it never saved and I never noticed until now"

It's still not there.
320x224
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Oct 2015 21:33
@Randomness:

I don't plan to shut it down anytime soon if I can help it, but a good idea nonetheless!

As for the link not being in my signature, I tried and it still won't work like I want it to so I just went back to my previous signature. It's something to do with MCProhost's image generator I guess. The picture will display just fine on their site but then as soon as I try to make a signature out if it it refuses to display. Oh well.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 00:29
Well I hope you do find something great Yodaman! If anyone deserves a nifty job it's you.

What kind of rules does your server run on? If they're fun, I should play on it.

Randomness, remember the times when you and I would play for hours? The good ol times! The world you had with the giant upside down pyramid... Fun memories!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So I was thinking some stickies could be removed from the forum list, namely these:
The end of an Era and the start of another.
Name change requests - PLEASE READ
Forum personal message system

They were all important in their time, but now they all seem old and irrelevant. Anyone else here agree?
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 02:50
It might depend on state, but I'm pretty sure that if you are hired as a full time employee, they have to give at least 30 hours. If your working as a part time worker I don't think there is any minimum limit on hours. It really depends on what is in your employment contact signed when you were hired.

Regardless of legality, you'd be better served working somewhere else if they start pulling that sort of thing.

In contrast, I'm now being required to put in 45 hours a week minimum, up from the standard 40
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 03:10
Quote: "In contrast, I'm now being required to put in 45 hours a week minimum, up from the standard 40"
Do they pay you overtime? I think they are required to if you work over 40 hours.

And I agree, Yodaman is probably indeed better off ditching the current job altogether, since they don't seem to care. That, I do however suppose, is much easier said than done.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 05:30
I would love to ditch this job altogether, but I do get health insurance from them for only $52/month, which is REALLY hard to find at the moment elsewhere.

But, like I said earlier, it certainly feels like they're going to be stripping away all of the benefits that made me apply there in the first place. I predict our store will close its doors sometime next year, especially since we will have a new grocery store in town opening its doors by the end of the week. The competition is fierce.

My town seriously has way more grocery stores here than are required.

I am using this as heavy motivation to get my game-making butt in gear and start developing my game in a serious fashion. I will make it, I will sell it, and I will become rich!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 05:50
Ah sure, good point there.

Random curiosity -- do you guys have any sort of Kroger stores out there? The ones we have here (you may remember this) are called King Soopers.

Not sure why I ask, it's just fun to see how those kinds of things differ throughout the country.

My neighborhood, in contrast to yours, definitely doesn't have enough grocery stores! Besides a few small shops, we have a Loaf n Jug (Kroger convenience store), and that's it. They were going to put in a full King Soopers next to it a few years ago, but the company wasn't able to secure the water rights for the land. Now it's just a massive plot of ugly excavated land.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 16:18
Quote: "Do they pay you overtime? I think they are required to if you work over 40 hours."

If you're hourly, yes. If you're salaried, they don't have to pay you overtime if you're an exempt employee.

It all depends on your employment contract.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 20:50
Yeah I'm salary now so no more overtime, just a flat annual rate split into two week pay periods
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2015 22:16
Quote: "If you're salaried, they don't have to pay you overtime if you're an exempt employee."
Gotcha, right. I had forgotten about salaries.

And hey, those stickies got removed! Thanks to the silent mod/admin who did that.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 24th Oct 2015 03:46
Activity has seriously dwindled these past few days, hasn't it?

Sadly it seems a lot of people over on the AppGameKit boards are very upset with TGC at the moment. In fact we just had a member over there completely abandon AppGameKit in favor of SFML, because he grew tired of waiting for word about updates. Several other people echoed his sentiments and I have to say, now that I've looked at something like SFML, and just how easy it is to actually use? I can't say I blame him.

Don't get me wrong I love TGC, but their communication skills have seriously gone down the drain as of late.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2015 04:09
I concur fully. It would be nice if TGC made some efforts to really reach out to the community. I have never seen them make any sort of effort to show up on the forums here (then again, I only browse GC ).

Today or tomorrow, I plan on initiating a thread for the yearly forum banner competition, and I am hoping that leads to a little bit of activity here.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 24th Oct 2015 06:03
They were keeping the AppGameKit development thread updated at a pretty regular interval but other than that the communication is pretty sparse, they seem to rely heavily on newsletters (which don't even come out anywhere close to on time anymore) but then don't really answer many questions if anyone asks in the newsletter thread.

They really have to improve their communication if they want to retain even the most loyal of their customers they've had for the last 10+ years. But now that I think of it a lot of us have moved on to different engines anyway, but come back to GC just for the social aspect, although that appears to be slowing down at a rate not entirely dissimilar to that of a slowly rotting potato, whose death is taking entirely too long. That poor, poor potato. Maybe someone should stick some wires in it and try to preserve it?

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2015 13:58 Edited at: 24th Oct 2015 14:00
Quote: "C++ still hurts my head."

Really? I find it kind of refreshing whenever I have to go back to it. I mean, I don't use it very often so I have to take a while to get back into the swing of it but it's such a straightforward language... although if you get into the advanced stuff I'm sure it could cause more headaches than most languages...

Quote: "I'm making $9.40/hour at Schnucks, and this place only pays $7.50. But hey, have to make up the difference in some capacity..."

Gee wiz, that doesn't sound like much! I earn ~$22/hour where I work, and it's just factory production work (pick up library bag, shake library bag, place onto heat press, spray water onto bag, press bag, etc. etc.). I mean, I'm hired as a casual so I miss out on things like paid holidays/sick leave etc., but even so... I earn $468 for three days' work after tax, which equates to about $20.50/hour net. And in Australia health insurance isn't necessary since there's a public healthcare system that's paid for by taxes. You only need health insurance if you want private healthcare. Seems a bit unfair, doesn't it... But then maybe that's why $1.00 AU only buys $0.72 US (a massive pain in the backside when buying digital items online as most are sold from America)

----------------------------

So I got sick of trying to get my made-of-wood 3D printer to be consistent and reliable. It ended up needing calibrating every day due (I assume) to changing humidity. It also couldn't properly print all the way to the edge of the build area and couldn't print correctly-scaled object - in particular, circles were always ovals. So I just said "stuff it" and bought aluminium t-slot extrusion and 3D printed parts from eBay to build an entirely new and much, much better frame. It's taken me about 3 full days of work but it's finally fully built and working almost perfectly. The last part of the calibration process is software tuning (it seems to be under-extruding). I can now print MUCH larger objects and do so more reliably. I have a heated bed as well so I can print ABS if I ever decide it's worth the effort. And due to the better design (it's now effectively a Kossel Mini), the printer is far more self-contained - the only part that isn't attached to the frame is the power supply. I intend to add a way of easily unplugging all of the cables from the power supply in one go so I can transport the printer without much effort

And above all, it looks awesome! Pics coming when I find the time to make a proper thread about it.... (It's such a pain to get your phone, plug it in and transfer the files.... why can't we just swipe them from the phone screen to the PC screen like they do in the movies already?! SO much more convenient! )
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 24th Oct 2015 16:21
Quote: "Really? I find it kind of refreshing whenever I have to go back to it. I mean, I don't use it very often so I have to take a while to get back into the swing of it but it's such a straightforward language... although if you get into the advanced stuff I'm sure it could cause more headaches than most languages..."

No it doesn't really hurt my head that much, at least when the thing I'm working on is relatively simple.

I'm gonna have to learn C++ if I want to utilize the full power of the Unreal Engine. Blueprints are great but not the best method of making a game at all.

I would use Unity but all of the plugins I bought for it do not work with the current version, and it keeps signing me out of the asset store, and the C# scripts I create end up taking ages to load up in VS or MonoDevelop. It's really kind of strange.

Also Unreal has a built-in save/load game function, whereas all Unity has is the PlayerPrefs class which is NOT a good way of storing data.

And as for that factory job that's actually pretty much how it works over here in America too, but most require Monday-Friday and sometimes the weekends for that kind of pay.

A local store is building a warehouse here in town that could pay as high as that so I am looking into it for sure!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2015 23:45
\"Windows 10 doesn\'t only include spyware, it is designed as spyware\" -- Gaius Publius, The Big Picture RT Interview
\"[...] we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary\" -- Windows 10 Privacy Statement
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2015 20:32
Quote: " Sadly it seems a lot of people over on the AppGameKit boards are very upset with TGC at the moment. In fact we just had a member over there completely abandon AppGameKit in favor of SFML, because he grew tired of waiting for word about updates. Several other people echoed his sentiments and I have to say, now that I've looked at something like SFML, and just how easy it is to actually use? I can't say I blame him. "

Oh man and I was considering picking up AppGameKit sometime this holiday season. Lack of communication about a paid software product when free alternatives exist is a great way push people to those other projects.

Quote: " Really? I find it kind of refreshing whenever I have to go back to it. I mean, I don't use it very often so I have to take a while to get back into the swing of it but it's such a straightforward language... although if you get into the advanced stuff I'm sure it could cause more headaches than most languages..."

What I'm doing in my link is definitely advanced C++ and not all that straight forward.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 03:58
Does anyone remember this thread? Man, I'd completely forgotten that I actually wrote my own voxel terrain plugin for DBPro! How on earth did I manage that...?? It's a shame I never finished it. It would have been really cool. Unfortunately it was pretty frickin' difficult to write and there were a few problems I never solved, like how ridiculously slow the smoothing algorithm was, or how my limited understanding of shaders meant you could see the inside of holes in the terrain wherever the textures changed. If I had finished it, it would have had a lot of really advanced features, like the ability to specify different smoothing levels for different textures (so you could place smooth lumps of dirt of solid, square blocks of wood). Maybe someday I'll come back to it, but write it as a free and open library for any game engine.

Ah the over-ambitious projects of a young programmer...
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 09:54
I have been tempted to look into writing a voxel generator of some kind, but then I see the math and it scares me

So, I just found out yesterday that the hour cuts at work are only temporary - and it's because we've gone over hours for several months (because we've been so short handed) and once the holiday season starts up we'll have more hours to go around. So, I guess it won't be as bad as I thought!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 15:42
Quote: "Don't get me wrong I love TGC, but their communication skills have seriously gone down the drain as of late. "

Just out of curiosity, what exactly did you want them to communicate? I mean, one of TGC's main current focuses is on GameGuru. There's a regularly updated Dev Blog (with room for comments) here: https://www.game-guru.com/devblog/ As far as AppGameKit work goes; Paul (the main guy working on it) regularly chimes in on one or more of the main threads in the AppGameKit section, such as this one (the last post of his being only 10 days ago): https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/215556

Rick himself posts regular updates in the first post of the Main AppGameKit Dev Blog (last one being 3 days ago): https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/210287#msg2511575

Seriously though; I see Rick, Lee, Paul, Scene Commander and others post frequently on the Forums...while also keeping up with the other Dev Blogs, Newsletters, and numerous emails that they all get daily. They have to fit some time in for actual development.

What more could they do to communicate more effectively to the user base here?
-Keith
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm writing a voxel rendering engine for my dissertation at uni this year.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 17:29
11 year old me: As an Intellectual, I always speak with flawless grammar. I would never misspell any words, unlike the intellectually challenged heathens.

Me now: lol its tmie 2 get memed up in ehre r u redy
\"Windows 10 doesn\'t only include spyware, it is designed as spyware\" -- Gaius Publius, The Big Picture RT Interview
\"[...] we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary\" -- Windows 10 Privacy Statement
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 19:05
@KeithC:

See, I think the big problem is with that AppGameKit dev thread - those who look at it don't realize that all of the updates are in the first post and just assume that the new updates will be somewhere in the new posts. I think that's why a lot of people miss the updates!

Also, I think a better form of keeping everyone up to date on news would be to utilize that Global Threads board more and have the update/blog threads in there, so that it appears on every board. That way, people are way more likely to see updates!

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 26th Oct 2015 20:16
Quote: "Also, I think a better form of keeping everyone up to date on news would be to utilize that Global Threads board more and have the update/blog threads in there, so that it appears on every board"

No. The global board should not be used for updates on a single product. I think once the absurd amount of AppGameKit boards have been merged to make more sense, it will be better.
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 27th Oct 2015 19:29
^ That's a good point. I guess there really isn't any one great solution out there.

As for me, I do plan on using AppGameKit for my next game, because I want to write as much of it as myself as I can. Using an engine like Unreal is just utter overkill for the game I have planned, and would defeat the purpose of coding as much of the engine as I can, on my own.

Hey, I have nifty news!

All y'all remember that accident I was in August? Well, since it the was the other guy's fault, that means his insurance is offering me some money. Originally, they wanted to only offer $500, and that was that, nothing else, just sign on the dotted line please. I told them I would have to think it over and would give them a call back. I waited just about 6 weeks to finally call back yesterday and here is what they offered:

1 - a personal check for $900 that I could use for whatever I want
2 - they will set aside $1500 for any future medical needs, so long as I use it within a certain period of time

That is a SIGNIFICANTLY better deal, and I think I'm going to take it. I can buy a 390X very easily and still have a significant amount of money to put towards a car, or house or whatever. Definitely a car I kind of need one desperately

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2015 00:00 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2015 01:39
WHAT. GameGuru is being/has been converted to C++?!?! How did I not realise this was a thing?? Great, now I have a crap-tonne of awesome blogs to read to catch up. It'll be like the old days when Lee was simply upgrading FPSC and not rewriting it, with lots of cool tech news. I hope.

Just when I think TGC doesn't have a clue, they go and do something ridiculous like this...

Quote: "11 year old me: As an Intellectual, I always speak with flawless grammar. I would never misspell any words, unlike the intellectually challenged heathens.

Me now: lol its tmie 2 get memed up in ehre r u redy"

Me exactly. These days I don't even try to point out mistakes that are obviously just typos, but I still can't ignore excessive use of apostrophes, saying "would of" instead of "would have" and when people IRL say "ec cetera". I just don't like the world to be ignorant.... but it's probably a losing battle.

Quote: "1 - a personal check for $900 that I could use for whatever I want
2 - they will set aside $1500 for any future medical needs, so long as I use it within a certain period of time"

Hey that's pretty cool! A much better deal

Quote: "That is a SIGNIFICANTLY better deal, and I think I'm going to take it. I can buy a 390X very easily and still have a significant amount of money to put towards a car, or house or whatever. Definitely a car I kind of need one desperately"

Definitely. I'd take it too. You could almost certainly push harder and get more money but you'd probably be left on bad terms with the insurance company and they may not be so amicable next time you need them (though I hope that day never comes ).
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2015 13:34

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 29th Oct 2015 01:01
*sigh*

I should have known that deal from Progressive would have been double-edged. My chiropractor told me to absolutely NOT SETTLE, no matter how much they offer to me, because it would mean I would lose out on the personal injury claim and insurance wouldn't be able to cover the costs of treatments. Want to know how much my costs of treatments are, at this very moment?
$4,751.17!!!!!!!!!!

So I'm gonna tell Progressive to shove it and to talk to my chiropractor

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2015 01:50
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2015 02:50
Erm.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 30th Oct 2015 18:21
Ah-ha! A save system in Unity is nowhere near as difficult as I thought.

All you need to do is create a serializable class which contains the data you need to save. Like so:

Then, in a save game method, just do the following:

Bada-bing bada-boom, you have yourself a save game system! Loading in a game is basically the same as saving, except when you have completed de-serializing the save game file you have to make assign the variables back into your player object, but that's still pretty dang easy.

And since I added an argument called "slot", I can have save game slots, just like the older games used to (Mario 64, anyone?)!

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2015 20:14
Did code snippets change?
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2015 20:47
For those who are interested in AGK; there is a new update here: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/215702

There are also two new Asset Packs for AGK; to be found here: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/215706

As to using the Global Stickies; (as mentioned above) it wouldn't be a good idea to put Application-specific stickies on all boards. Just not feasible.
-Keith
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2015 02:41 Edited at: 31st Oct 2015 02:43
New code snippets?

[EDIT] Oh god, it's one of those snippets. I hate these because of what happens when you double click on the code.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2015 04:36
Pft! So I've switched back to Chrome as Firefox was being silly. I predict in roughly one year I will switch back to Firefox (I originally switched to it about one year ago also).
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2015 11:07
Quote: "I hate these because of what happens when you double click on the code."

It appears that the code snippet can no longer be scrolled through after selecting everything.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 31st Oct 2015 19:40
Ah, I feel this script could be quite a bit better organized, but it appears it will work just dandy!

Yes I know it's a singleton and that those are a bit frowned-upon, but it's the best solution for this rather simple game.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2015 01:39
Quote: "You guys should listen to Solar Field's RED, GREEN, and BLUE albums. His music is so trippy/ambient/deep. This is the band behind Mirror's Edge's sound track, if you didn't know already."

I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing it out

Quote: "Oh god, it's one of those snippets. I hate these because of what happens when you double click on the code."

Oh yeah, didn't notice that. Annoying.

Did anyone else follow the CS:GO match between EnVy and G2? That Inferno match was incredible! 25:21 with THREE overtimes?? Insane! That's 46 freakin rounds! After sitting for nearly 3 hours watching those games I couldn't stay any longer to watch EnVy vs NaVi and had to go to sleep. But that 1v5 clutch by Rain!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Nov 2015 03:15
Ugh my place of work is getting REALLY stupid now.

I open at 530am tomorrow morning and had to be there until 9 tonight (just got home about a minute ago and jumped on here to rage post real quick before attempting sleep). Our opening cashier is supposed to show up at 6am as that's when our doors open. However, apparently he's going to "be late" tomorrow (he called just before I left for the night), and probably will be in "around 630".

So now, on the busiest book keeping day, I am supposed to book keep AND opening check?

This is also on top of hour cuts, in which I can't work over 30 hours a week anymore. So the solution to that is to schedule us Service Desk people in such a manner that our second clerk doesn't come in until we leave, meaning we now don't get a break. And I have an 8 hour shift tomorrow...

I am seriously this close to just not showing up tomorrow and finding another job. I'm submitting more applications this week and I hope I will hear something soon.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2015 03:34
Quote: "jumped on here to rage post real quick before attempting sleep"
Your sense of humor through things like this is legendary! Is legendary the right word? Not sure, but you get my point.

Quote: "I am seriously this close to just not showing up tomorrow and finding another job."
Does your employer have any sort of severance pay for fired employees? I doubt they do, but if they do, perhaps not showing up and getting fired because of it wouldn't be so bad. Assuming, of course, that another job could be found to totally replace it.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Christ, do you have no workers rights in the US? No breaks, no workless rest periods?
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2015 19:04
Of course we do, but when some companies get desperate they start doing stupid things like asking/telling employees to ignore or waive their rights.

It sounds like business isn't good for this company and they are getting desperate.

Asserting your rights with your employer may lead to getting fired, which does give grounds for wrongful termination suit, but that will be lengthy and costly and usually not worth the trouble.

There are agencies that you can file anonymous complaints with, which wouldn't be a bad idea, but unless multiple complaints from multiple sources are filed, if may not draw much attention.

Usually not a good idea to quit before getting something new lined up, fur one you don't know how long it may be before getting something new, two it creates a gap in employment history which can look bad on resumes depending how long it is, and it also creates a gap in your insurance coverage which can get complicated
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2015 23:36
Quote: "Christ, do you have no workers rights in the US? No breaks, no workless rest periods?"

Depends on the state, but usually not in this case. Most states are "right to work" which means that unions have a real tough time getting established and worker's rights didn't expand as far as Europe. What Yodaman posted is a somewhat typical story I've heard from retail employees after the ACA passed and took effect.

Other than that, Ortu has a bit more detail on what recourse Yoda has.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2015 23:46 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2015 23:48
Quote: "Ugh my place of work is getting REALLY stupid now."

Doesn't that just make you dread going to work? Horrible feeling. I was feeling the same way about my work until my boss told me straight up he needed me 5 days a week. I had said quite clearly I wasn't available 5 days, but he seemed to think that I was required to work as many days as he wanted. That wasn't what I was hired for and was never made a requirement. He's got a lot to learn about being team leader... Anyway I said I couldn't do it because I had TAFE to do (which I do) and he effectively fired me. I was super relieved, though, because I was ready to quit anyway and was planning to study full-time and get the government Youth Allowance payment thing, and this just made it easier. In the end, though, I got hired back to my old position in Gifts by one of the other team leaders for the Christmas seasonal work, so that means I don't even need to bother with welfare for the time being

Quote: "Of course we do, but when some companies get desperate they start doing stupid things like asking/telling employees to ignore or waive their rights. "

Wow, AFAIK it's illegal to not allow employees a break in Australia. As in, the employer cannot allow the employee to continue working during break times.

I'm glad I live in Australia sometimes. It's definitely a socialist country, but sometimes that's a good thing

--------------------------

Quick tip: Ever tried to move or delete a file or folder and been told "Access is denied: The file or folder is in use by another program"? Just download Process Explorer (a free Microsoft program), click Find > Find Handle or DLL... and type the name of the file you're trying to move ("someVideo.mp4"). Click search and Process Explorer will list all the processes with a lock currently on the file.

EDIT: I did actually give the forum badges transparency and sent them back to TheNext, but apparently he's been busy because they don't appear to be in place yet.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2015 23:55
Quote: "Quick tip: Ever tried to move or delete a file or folder and been told "Access is denied: The file or folder is in use by another program"? Just download Process Explorer (a free Microsoft program), click Find > Find Handle or DLL... and type the name of the file you're trying to move ("someVideo.mp4"). Click search and Process Explorer will list all the processes with a lock currently on the file"

I recommend process hacker instead, as it has a tonne of useful tools in it (including finding handles) and makes a great task manager replacement.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 4th Nov 2015 15:54
In response to everyone asking me about my workplace, yes we do have a union that protects our rights, although they're such a joke. Plenty of people in the past have had issues and contacted the union, but they have done nothing. Now, granted, these other people kind of were complaining about nothing, but you'd think the union would still talk to him about it!

Now, it turns out this week the reason it looked like I wasn't getting any breaks was because there were apparent "blank spots" in the schedule, in which my second person doesn't come in until before I leave. BUT, my department manger got really clever and threw a couple people on at the last minute to fill those gaps, by scheduling them for a different position. So I do get breaks this week.

But still, it's going downhill very quickly, and I'm starting to hate customer service. I didn't used to mind it so much but yesterday morning was a real kicker, when this woman came in at 6:05am to try to do a return and I told her it couldn't be done up at the desk as I wasn't yet open, but I told her that I could do it at the register opened at the lanes. That really made her mad but we finally did it.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 4th Nov 2015 18:32
Quote: "That really made her mad but we finally did it. "

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline