Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [STICKY] The Posting Competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 08:48 Edited at: 25th Sep 2015 09:33
Quote: "Just because you don't use video or photo editors, does not mean you will not benefit from more RAM, consider when you use Chrome to open tabs"

Perhaps, but as of yet it hasn't been a huge issue. Or at least nothing I'd abandon this computer over!

Also PAGE.

[edit] free for the taking. fat free
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 09:16
I see, PAGE BTW

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 09:33
Ah you were just too slow.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 12:42
Anybody else having issues with facebook loading these last few days? It's getting really tiring because I have a lot of friends who want updates on my mom and I don't have their emails or current phone numbers and it's just easier to send group messages giving them the latest news, but when facebook won't work I can't even do that.

So annoying.

Forum President until June 20th, 2016.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 12:47
Actually Amazon has been broken since yesterday... Could be related... Heck we probably figured out that they are on the same servers lol

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 13:09
Finally was able to get on but I see my sister already messaged them.

I don't think I told you guys any more news since Monday though.

Her Tuesday appointment with her radiation doctor basically said that she needs to have radiation/chemo very quickly, and called it a "very nasty situation". So beginning on Monday, she will have radiation every day for three weeks straight. This is because they have found another (very small) tumor already growing in her head and they want to get rid of it as quickly as possible. Then once that is done they'll start chemo for the esophageal cancer, and she is getting what they call a "Chemo Port" installed in her chest today, this is so that she doesn't have to worry about them sticking her with needles and will make administration of the chemo very easy. In fact it will be so easy she can do it herself at home!

Sadly, they called it "currently uncurable", and it is stage 4. However, this does not mean she's close to death at all - stage 4 simply means the primary tumor has shot off other tumors, which it obviously did. It is still highly treatable, but it certainly is quite scary. The doctor asked if she wanted an estimated time frame but we have chosen (at least for the current time) not to get a number since we feel it's a little too early, not to mention averages really mean nothing because one guy might have lived only three months after being diagnosed with it but other people have lived 20+ years. He was actually quite happy to hear we didn't want any numbers just yet, and completely agreed with the decision. If it was truly immediately life-threatening I'm sure he would have said something about that. Obviously it is life threatening if we don't do anything but we're already doing a lot.

So, while it's scary and stupid and a very bad situation, we're still very hopeful that we can treat it. But it all got really real this week, once we started hearing the words chemo and radiation thrown around I think all of us probably had a bit of a mental breakdown. I snapped at a customer at my job the other day because she was so impatient to get her one doughnut and we only had one cashier at that particular time (9am) because one had quit and the other had just called in sick, so after I finished book keeping I went out to help. She was so angry and threw the doughnut bag at me and said "Your cashier over there refused to open another lane!". I just looked at her and said "Sorry ma'am we're short today, we don't have any other cashiers but that's why I'm out to help" in what I considered to still be a friendly tone.

"Well I have a hard time believing you don't have any more checkers in the store just hiding to make your customers wait" she said through gritted teeth. Again, I said "Sorry, no, but that's why I'm here". I then told her total where she handed me the money and as I processed it I heard her call me something under her breath (still don't know what it was), so instead of being polite and telling her the amount of change she was getting back I just placed it in her hand along with her receipt, looked at her and as I was about to say have a nice day she shouted "YOU'RE WELCOME" and literally ran to the service desk, where nobody was since I was out checking.

Huh, I guess I didn't really snap at so much as I just didn't wish her a good rest of her day... but seriously that was the morning after I had found everything about what my mom had to do now and I just didn't want to deal with cranky-ass people who feel entitled to their own personal checker.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 14:56

"Windows 10 doesn't only include spyware, it is designed as spyware" -- Gaius Publius, The Big Picture RT Interview
"[...] we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary" -- Windows 10 Privacy Statement
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 14:56
Quote: "she is getting what they call a "Chemo Port" installed in her chest today"

To make things sound cool and raise some spirits you can crack a small joke and tell her, You are soon going to be like Iron Man....... ask the doctor if it comes with glowing rings of lights...

Soldier on buddy!

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 15:01
banana

apple

pineapple

rambutan

pumpkin

ground cherry

blackberry

dragonfruit

"Windows 10 doesn't only include spyware, it is designed as spyware" -- Gaius Publius, The Big Picture RT Interview
"[...] we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary" -- Windows 10 Privacy Statement
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 15:11
So, building a physics engine from scratch soon... yay fun!

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 16:29
Quote: "What difference does it make? Once you're on the roundabout, everyone gives way to you. You can cross as many lanes as you like and you only have to glance at the other cars to make sure they're not about the randomly pull out in front of you."

True, though someone might go faster in the outer lane than you do in the inner lane which could block you from exiting

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 20:10
Quote: " So, building a physics engine from scratch soon... yay fun! "

You're doing a physics engine, I'm doing a database engine, everyone's doing things from scratch!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2015 20:12
We should form a Forum Group called "The Scratchers"

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So, building a physics engine from scratch soon... yay fun!"

What language?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2015 22:13
Quote: "What language?"

C#

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2015 03:57
@Indicium
I feel left out now.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Why would you write a physics engine in C#?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2015 15:54 Edited at: 27th Sep 2015 17:21
Why would you not write a physics engine in C#?

EDIT

Why people still use Firefox I will never know...

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2015 20:03
Quote: " Why people still use Firefox I will never know... "

Because I don't like Chrome, and the extensions on Firefox are better. Minimal difference in performance, and somewhat better RAM utilization.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2015 20:08
I recently heard something somewhere (was it here?); not sure how accurate it was, but interesting nonetheless. IE holds nearly a 49% market share, and Firefox holds around 7% (or 9%, can't remember) market share. I totally thought it would have been the other way around.

I have used both Chrome and Firefox extensively, and I honestly can't say that I prefer one to another. I mainly switch when I get tired of the way one looks (which is really nit picky, since both look pretty much the same ). Chrome does have two features I really like that Firefox does not have -- tab duplicating and real time search suggestions from Google in the URL bar.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2015 20:38
Quote: "Why people still use Firefox I will never know... "

Do you have any particular reason that I shouldn't?

Personally I use it for 2 main reasons but I would switch if there was a better alternative. 1 webkit uses a ton of RAM because of the one process per tab feature. I usualy have way to many tabs open to not suffer from each tab using at least 100 mb.

Second, firefox is a bit more customizable. One major issue with chrome for me is that a plugin can't rebind the ctrl+tab keys which I have bound to go to the most recent tab instead of the next tab in the list.

Also, im a bit weary of using too many google products at the same time because the company is getting a bit scary.

Quote: "search suggestions from Google in the URL bar. "

I think there is a setting somewhere to enable that...

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2015 21:18
I have looked/searched for it a fair bit but haven't found it! It does give you real time suggestions based on your previous searches, but not from Google the same way Chrome does. If you know how to make it do that, please do tell!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2015 23:36
So, new forum in the next 24 hours or so...

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2015 23:41
Why's everyone saying there will be a new forum? It says forum transfer.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2015 23:43 Edited at: 28th Sep 2015 01:39
Quote: "This forum will be transferring to a new server network and new software. "

Perhaps that is why...

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2015 23:55
I say we start a revolt. Overthrow it. Throw apples at it.

*DISCLAIMER: The contents of this post were meant entirely in good humor, not are not meant to be taken seriously by any member of the forum moderation team.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Why would you not write a physics engine in C#?"

Let me know how that goes.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 01:58
im going to write a physics engine in html
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 01:59
Quote: " I recently heard something somewhere (was it here?); not sure how accurate it was, but interesting nonetheless. IE holds nearly a 49% market share, and Firefox holds around 7% (or 9%, can't remember) market share. I totally thought it would have been the other way around."

The enterprise almost exclusively uses Internet Explorer, so their average worker probably uses it at home too. At work I have to use IE10 on Windows computers that are connected to the internet. Luckily Linux dev machines don't have any such restriction (like forcing Chrome, etc).

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 02:04
Quote: "Let me know how that goes. "

Going pretty well, no idea why you think it would not.......

Quote: "im going to write a physics engine in html "

I'm <--
You mean java right?

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 02:21 Edited at: 28th Sep 2015 02:22
Quote: "Luckily Linux dev machines don't have any such restriction (like forcing Chrome, etc)."
Reminds me -- years ago, I would always keep in my school backpack an SD card with Firefox installed on it, and use that whenever they made us use their terribly slow netbooks with IE 8. Lovely lil' improvement that was!

Quote: "You mean java right?"
nah raw html. maybe a lil css for snazz

Quote: "I'm <--"
i meant it like i typed it

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 02:59
I think FB has to be the only social network with a secret built in mini game I don't even think FB realises it either...

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 03:17 Edited at: 28th Sep 2015 03:18
Beh! HP software is an absolute nightmare. So I go to hook up an HP printer to my computer earlier today via USB. Of course, the driver must be downloaded from the website. It ended up being a massive download, over 130 MB, and the installer took a good half hour or so to install several different programs I didn't need, and finished up by telling me it failed to install the actual driver itself. I then go to uninstall the seven or eight other pieces of useless crapware it installed (including one entire program just for the purpose of ordering new ink cartridges); after uninstalling each individual one, the uninstaller gave me no choice but to restart the computer immediately, as opposed to allowing the option of waiting to restart later.

I remember years ago, I had an HP laptop. Does that say enough?
The bloatware on that thing resulted in numerous system crashes, unpermitted restarts, and unbelievable slowdowns.

The company has no clue.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 03:21
Just extract the package if possible or look for where it extracts it before allowing installation to continue, and simply pluck the driver from there...

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 03:27
Good idea that would have been! Fun fact: all of what I described above happened after I selected the option to only download the "minimal download", the other option being downloading and installing some HP install wizard. I can only imagine what that would have been like.

I gave up on that printer; the upstairs printer (also an HP, incidentally) is connected to my computer wirelessly just fine. I was trying to use the first one today since the upstairs one is out of ink.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 04:21
I always find that their assumption of minimal is 'Include bloatware'...

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 05:16
Ugh worked til 9pm tonight and have to be back at 530am tomorrow...

I really need to find a job that has better hours, or just sell one of my games already.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 05:36 Edited at: 28th Sep 2015 05:42
Speaking of working... I am working through the night to fix a kids laptop, I worked out that someone stole his memory and put some crappy memory in it and only 2GB where it should have had way more...

The charity I do some work for donated a licence for Windows to him and I have donated the only compatible memory stick I had lying around... feel good factor = 1 million sadly it was only 1GB my spare 2GB stick was not compatible :/

I am thinking to put DBPro or AppGameKit on it for him to play with... and when he is mature enough for Steam, buy AppGameKit for him... and DBPro if it gets the same release treatment... I think TGC should make the effort...

His iPad is dead and it turns out I might be able to repair it using iTunes but I am unsure if it will work without first being registered to that installation of iTunes... the account is locked out and the person who set it up forgot everything...

Anyway thanks for reading... time to go see if I can see that red moon...

EDIT

DAMN CLOUD COVER.......

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 06:23 Edited at: 28th Sep 2015 06:25
Quote: "I worked out that someone stole his memory and put some crappy memory in it and only 2GB where it should have had way more..."
Why would someone steal RAM when they can just download it?

Quote: "I really need to find a job that has better hours"
That sounds like a good idea. It has always seemed to me that your hours suck, and I know plenty of people with similar jobs and much less sucky hours. So it seems, anyway.

Novel idea: Instead of saying something 'sucks', it would sound really interesting to say that something is 'low pressure'.

Gee Bob, the hours Ronny assigned you for Friday night are such low pressure!

HP's software is the lowest pressure software out there.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 08:54
Does anybody have experience with recovering an iPad 3?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 09:05
Quote: "The enterprise almost exclusively uses Internet Explorer, so their average worker probably uses it at home too. At work I have to use IE10 on Windows computers that are connected to the internet. Luckily Linux dev machines don't have any such restriction (like forcing Chrome, e"

Aye, we have to use IE at work, the software we use will only work with IE, except our phone system, which actually works best with Chrome, so we get to use both browsers. So when it comes to using the internet for other things (finding info, emails) people tend to pick Chrome.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 28th Sep 2015 13:06
Quote: "It has always seemed to me that your hours suck, and I know plenty of people with similar jobs and much less sucky hours."

Well it's only this week and the previous week that my hours really sucked, and it's because I'm learning book keeping for Mondays, which basically is taking the entirety of the previous week's book keeping and sticking it all together in a giant manila envelope. Plus you do Monday's book keeping as well so you're effectively doing 8 days worth.

Thankfully next Sunday I only work until 7 and I'm gonna try to get off early. Then I can go to bed at 8 and be able to sleep until 4 and get a full night's sleep and won't be screwed up like I am right now. Thankfully I am off at 12 today so I'm going to come home and nap!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2015 01:23 Edited at: 29th Sep 2015 01:49
First Post using new forum!

VIDEO DOES NOT WORK
COLOUR DOES NOT WORK
SIZE DOES NOT WORK
CODE DOES NOT WORK

Epically insertion point does work
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2015 01:32 Edited at: 29th Sep 2015 01:38
Oh wow this is awesome! Everything is so different! I shall miss the old forums, but these look to be a welcomed refresh.
Oooooooh a colour button. Hello.

Aww it doesn't work yet. seb text testsuper text test
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2015 01:35
@Dark Java Dude 64

Glad you are liking so far, I am off to bed now as I have been working on databases and baby sitting file transfers for 10 hours now.

There will be a lot more changes to come this version has a lot of ugly bits that need tidying up.
Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2015 01:40 Edited at: 29th Sep 2015 01:41
Dark Java Dude 64, there is a sticky thread to report issues, already mentioned the broken buttons...
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2015 01:53
Yep I found it! I still wanted to express my excitement for the colour button, however.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2015 02:04
I love seeing signature banners in my emails
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 29th Sep 2015 02:15
So, what on earth happened to last year's beta forums that actually had working features and proportionate elements? Did we just completely scrap it and hack together a buggier version?

I understand the transition was rough, but this is NOT at all what the beta forums looked like last year, nor is it all an improvement, at least in terms of speed. Anybody else agree loading times are twice as bad as they ever were before?

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2015 05:17
I would go easy on TheNext. Sure, I don't understand why the beta forums were abandoned, but we all owe to him our utmost appreciation for the crazy amount of work and headache he's put into getting this all running. This, of course, includes all of the other development team members that went into this as well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 17:49:29
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 17:49:29