Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [STICKY] The Posting Competition

Author
User Banned
Posted: 27th Nov 2015 03:09 Edited at: 27th Nov 2015 03:13
Zach Goodwin wrote: "To fix up double posting have you guys thought of merging posts?"

Oh for Pete's sake, you can't be serious about that can you? How about you use the edit button like everyone else?

Why the heck would you expect a forum to "merge posts" for you? Just because you can't be tasked with editing a previous post? Or is it just because you think bumping a thread with multiple posts is the way to go?

EDIT: And if you really want to be a filmmaker, ORIENT YOUR CAMERA IN THE CORRECT FASHION, please. No one will ever take you seriously if you continue to shoot your videos vertically.

Forum President until June 20th, 2016.
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok
Willing to be hired as a voice actor for work and to put on a resume.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2015 07:05
Page![sup][/sup]
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Add me on Skype again Dark Java Dude 64. I'd like Randomness 128 to add me as well.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2015 08:20
Pretty please? Hey man, glad to see you around again.

Sent you a PM Yodaman Jer.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 27th Nov 2015 10:52
@Zach:

Sorry if I sounded harsh last night, I meant all of that in a lighthearted tone. Now re-reading it this morning, though, I sound like an arrogant sort of person. Perhaps this Presidency has gone to my head and I should be impeached.

@DJD64:

I hereby appoint you Secretary of Personal Messaging Notifications!

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2015 23:07 Edited at: 27th Nov 2015 23:14
It's alright, just be careful with how you word things okay.
The reason I have those videos looking like that, is that an overpolished look may look great, but you can't connect with me as a personal person. You probably would have looked at me as your standard youtube blogger. I got the idea from this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD2oO3PQs70 . It's because your uncle would have filmed videos like that and you would know he is a real person. So I'm filmming it naturally as if it was not a movie or film or documentary, but as if I'm helping you and sharing my experiences. Yes he did not use a cell phone vertically, but you get my point. I talk more and focus less on the producing of it. Compare the news with movies.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2015 05:09 Edited at: 28th Nov 2015 05:32
Interesting concept Zach. I totally get the idea of personability. If that's your ideal filming style, I'd say god for it. But to be 100% honest, I think you can still make highly personal, connectable videos that are filmed in the horizontal aspect ratio. I personally have a difficult time watching vertical videos, they make me want to bite my toes off!!

I am really happy that filming has been a good avenue for you lately.

For those who are interested: Yeees, I got my little engine fully reassembled and running again. Here's a little video I made of it running:

You can see I was having a little fun with the throttle there. It has no muffler, so it sounds like a motorcycle. It's quite loud too! I do place a little plug I made out of foil into the exhaust port when I shut it down, which protects the valve from thermal shock due to cold air entering. You may also observe that I shut it down by placing my hand over the intake; it has no kill switch! I placed an air filter on it after I shot that video, so now I just shut it off using the choke.

I've gotta say, it's an interesting feeling to take a completely disassembled engine, individual piston, crankshaft, camshaft, valves, totally empty block, etc and put it all together into something that works.

But it runs! Next step is to find a bicycle that will actually work for my purposes... The one bicycle I have that I could use, the front area where I'd put the engine is simply just way too small. And considering my welding skills...

Quote: "I hereby appoint you Secretary of Personal Messaging Notifications!"
Hooray! Do I need an inauguration speech? I do? Okay, well here goes.

Sup folks. I'm your new Secretary of Personal Messaging Notifications aka SPMN. Call me Sapman. So yeah.
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2015 10:10 Edited at: 28th Nov 2015 10:29
Thanks man, believe me fear is coming away from me everyday. But I'd still like to do video games. Trust me you guys. Also be prepared because I have friends who are actors or are about to be actors:

ZachDGoodwin@gmail.com

Here is my Stage 32 site, resume is a bit dated and amateurish, may have to edit it though:
https://www.stage32.com/profile/372550/zach-goodwin

Here is also a link to one of the recorded plays I was in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHvgxrQX9eY

I don't have a demo reel. But that is just about it so far. Here is the gear I have, also I would buy some foam for voice over stuff. I use audacity, but if you want truly professional you guys I suggest using Adobe Audition. Right now I got to use my money appropriately. TheComet, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ xD Just trying to get you to laugh humorously. RANDOMNESS128 LET ME DO VOICE OVERS FOR YOUR GAME TOO. Also my inner bad***ery has increased by the time we got to a play where I played as an undercover cop. Again I'm free. If you were not mean to me I'm willing to help you out:

To TGC and it's moderators, let me offer a chance to help those who may be in need of non-union actors. Unsolicitated or advertising as you may call it or breaking a forum rule. But I'm willing to risk a day or week being noob slapped to just help out a game designer find someone. The only way that this may kill it is if it is edited, and even that won't work because then you would have to edit my name.

Also the number one rule that I am going by by telling you this and in good intentions and trying to keep it in a good tone is:

Be nice. This is an environment that exists to encourage and foster a community spirit. General "netiquette" applies here.

Please TGC let me help these guys out by posting this. You can be 999999999999999999% right and me 1% wrong, but the matter here is the game creator.
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "vertical videos"

Quote: "To TGC and it is moderators"

Quote: "RANDOMNESS128 LET ME DO VOICE OVERS FOR YOUR GAME TOO"

I'll let you know when I've done enough work on one of those to need voices. Should be any time between 2016 and 2769 depending on how lazy I continue to be.

Quote: "Stage 32"

Is there a Stage 64?
320x224
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2015 19:01
\"Windows 10 doesn\'t only include spyware, it is designed as spyware\" -- Gaius Publius, The Big Picture RT Interview
\"[...] we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary\" -- Windows 10 Privacy Statement
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2015 20:40 Edited at: 28th Nov 2015 20:58
Sweet no issues. Phew. TheComet, seriously, need any voiceovers still? I don't know why, but I get excited when I'm on this thread...
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2015 21:54
Pfffffft so the bicycle I have that I can put an engine on is pfffft. Brakes are frozen, the chain and everything are super rusted, and even the one way clutch on the rear sprocket set won't engage (so you just sit there pedaling forward and not moving). On the bright side, the steering does work still... So maybe I keep the frame and wheels and steering, and I replace all the rest? Or new bike? Hmm! Also, my latest thinking finds that, as large as my little engine is, it would probably be better to mount the engine above the rear wheel, instead of where a typical motorbike has its engine. Some people like to use friction drives when they mount their bicycles there, but I am quite opposed to that idea. A basic chain system would then carry the power down to the wheel... I could give the engine its own chain system with a derailleur, or I could link the engine over to the existing derailleur system... But that's likely to be replaced anyway. Oh the possibilities! If I do it right, I could keep foot pedaling capability. Add a good muffler and a cover over the engine, and nobody'd even know I was riding a motorcycle!
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
That's cool man.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2015 00:57
Thanks man!
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2015 01:30 Edited at: 29th Nov 2015 02:39
TheComet here is an audition file I have. 96khz 24 bit audio too, and free and willing to help. You can not believe me or not, I'll do a monologue from a different movie if you want me to or a play.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s00gKABn9kd6

Type of role I'm after:

Also I'm about to earn An Associates in Science in Theatrical Acting from Southern Union Community College by the end of this summer.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2015 05:16
Congrats on that man!

Blargh, my engine won't run anymore! Well it does run, but only for about 2 seconds after a good 30 or so strong, arm tiring, full hearted pulls. I think the carb is a bit gummed up and is struggling to deliver the appropriate amount of fuel. Right after I rebuilt the thing, it ran decently well. It started within 5 pulls every time, and ran as long as I allowed it to. Whenever I would rev it to higher speeds however (thus demanding more fuel), it would lose power significantly and occasionally die. I messed with the fuel needle today (which could have moved gunk around in the carb), and now it does what I described in the first portion of this post. Presumably it starts because of the lower speeds and perhaps fuel flooding the carb, but when it gets even up to idle speed, the gummed up fuel jet is no longer able to deliver the appropriate amount of fuel, killing the engine. Mr. Paperclip/Wire to the rescue!

And to think, nobody here is even reading these posts I bet... Oh where art thou Clonkex!
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you Jeffrey. So your making a motorcycle? Hey I could not find your other skype account. I'd like you to add me this time. I go by Zach Goodwin on Skype just as well.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2015 06:33 Edited at: 29th Nov 2015 06:33
Quote: "Thank you Jeffrey."
Breaking News: Secretary of Forum Activity and Personal Message Notifications' name leaked

A motorized bicycle, yes! Under Colorado state law, it will be legally considered a motorcycle, which sucks, because that legal status requires things like headlights, mirrors, licensing, insurance, registration, etc. I just won't ride it on <patrolled> public roads though. Old engine made in 1972 + crappy old bicycle + blood sweat & tears =(hopefully)= fun toy.

I will add you to my Skype tomorrow -- I have a new account I have been using the past 1.5 years or so.
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry about the name leak. I can't help things at times.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2015 08:28
Quote: "Sorry about the name leak. I can't help things at times."
I don't mind bro. I said what I said to take humorous opportunity of the situation.
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Good point.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2015 09:12
Why, thank you.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 29th Nov 2015 20:13
So, some jack-donkey decided it would be great fun to call in a bomb threat to my mall which is only one mile away from my house.

This occurred last night, and it was thankfully a hoax. But the panic it caused throughout the town? Yikes.

Who would've thought, in Janesville Wisconsin, someone would do that. I bet it was one of the rednecks that also speed down Milton Ave. every Friday/Saturday night.

I want to move so bad.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2015 20:26
Zach, I'm not currently working on any games because I'm a student. Thanks though.
\"Windows 10 doesn\'t only include spyware, it is designed as spyware\" -- Gaius Publius, The Big Picture RT Interview
\"[...] we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary\" -- Windows 10 Privacy Statement
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Anytime TheComet, and the opportunity is available for you when you need it again.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 04:58
Fixed my engine issue! My suspicion of fuel delivery problems was correct, but I was looking too hard -- it was out of gas. Also discovered the mixture screw was out way too far, so now that's fixed, the thing actually goes above 2,000 RPM without dying. It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 14:51
So my brother and I recently obtained an older PC that we are going to turn into a custom media server. We're gonna slap Linux on there (probably just Ubuntu since it's the easiest to install and use right out of the digital box), and more than likely set up a personal Minecraft server as well.

Randomness, can you make a backup of the server world? I'm going to make one tonight and shut the server down, the cost per month just isn't worth it for only two people playing, and besides I plan to use that world in the server my brother and I will make (provided I cna ind the same mods and everything).

Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways."

I like this sentence.

Quote: "Randomness, can you make a backup of the server world?"

Done. Can you give me the world's seed?
320x224
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 1st Dec 2015 23:17 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2015 03:35
Quote: "Done. Can you give me the world's seed?"

Yuppers!

What a pain to type that out

EDIT:

So I got the ring yesterday. This is what it looks like in person!

I think I shall propose on Christmas Eve

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 05:58
Quote: "I like this sentence."
It's a good one eh?
Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
How about we have some democracy on this forum. Those who are in agree that moderators should be moderated just as much as regular forum members that judgements based on different cultures is wrong and provoking of any kind is not allowed please say I. TGC can not take my right away to speak freely and I will speak up for any person who gets this type of treatment, especially the young ones. They are not going to come to my door like the gestopo and I already have all I want on this forum on my Skype and I use EOSHD from now on. Also those who agree that the rules on asking for help should not be locked please agree with me. I mean seriously you are going to shut down a person's thread because he has concept art and asks for help? I mean what if the person does not want to send footage and have you ever thought of other people who do not have emails, who do not have phone numbers, who do not have any means of communication except this forum? Ever thought of business discrepancies and several other things? Also why is it that certain rules can float on by and not be followed in certain situations in comparison to others just because they are humorous or because it is towards a certain culture or person? Well if you don't mind I'm going to chug Mountain Dew, join Westboro Baptist Church, Vote for Donald Trump, have a shotgun wedding, own a trailer park, eat at Mcdonalds, own 20 shotguns, and tlk lik dis. I'm sick of it. I demand that other cultures are not judged. I do not need to dig up my past to prove anything. I do not need to do anything at all. What are you guys? The gestopo? Go ahead and edit this immediately too, because if I get one person to look at this then my day is made.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 10:49
What exactly are you on about there, Zach? Are you saying TGC shut down a thread of yours regarding filmmaking? Because quite frankly, if they did, it's probably because this is a game development website's forum.

And please don't perpetuate the myth that the mods are the "gestopo" and target specific users - this has been untrue, at least in my entire forum life of almost 10 years.

As for a thread being locked when it has concept art and the author is asking for help? Sounds like a team request to me, and those have been banned almost as long as the dinosaurs have been extinct, which has been since last Tuesday.

I really don't see what brought about that... ramble/rant. But whatever it is you have to understand that the moderators here do their absolute best to keep the users happy here. Unless they are repeat trouble makers like Fluffy Rabbit was

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 15:23
You're going to have to elaborate Zach. I truly have no idea as to what you're talking about?
-Keith
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 18:58
@Zach
I looked at it, and I'm just as confused as everyone else is. TGC has been more than open with its moderation of this forum and allows far more negative/off-topic talk than many other companies' forums. And comparing TGC moderators to the Gestapo is ludicrous.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 19:25
As someone who has been slapped and banned every other year, I can only agree with Dar13 and Yoda.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 21:24
Orbiting Spacial Debris wrote: "As someone who has been slapped and banned every other year"

At this point not only is it obligatory, but it is valued TGC tradition

jk love you boo <3

Orbiting Spacial Debris ALSO wrote: "I can only agree with Dar13 and Yoda."

Well that's an improperly formed sentence. If you are agreeing with us, you are also in effect saying exactly what we said. Therefore, even though you didn't say it, but you in effect did, you are also agreeing with yourself, and have inadvertently caused a rift in the spacetime continuum the likes of which mankind has never seen prior to this paradoxical infraction. The only way to fix this is to send me tree fiddy.

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
I was having a moment today. If a mod could kindly edit my post that would be great. Still I would like moderators to be moderated.
Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2015 23:42
Ah, Jeffrey.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2015 00:12 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2015 00:13
From what I understand a moderator being moderated is losing their moderator privileges or get a talking to or have a discussion over their action, dependent on the situation and the crime, I suppose. Mods have been moderated before, but I would say probably less common because the people who are generally nominated don't really have a history of being moderated. I was slapped once...maybe...8 years ago?

Yodamn Jer wrote: "Sounds like a team request to me, and those have been banned almost as long as the dinosaurs have been extinct, which has been since last Tuesday. "

I have been around here long enough to remember back when not only were Team Requests were allowed...there was a dedicated forum to it. Hmm I had evidence that such a place existed prior to the Forum upgrade, but the section of a thread isn't listing on "My Threads" any more and I have a feeling, said thread no longer appears on there. Yes, even I, the great Seppuku, has been responsible for a team request thread. There is a reason why team requests aren't allowed and get locked and why said section ceases to exist,, the only ones I have seen to survive, have been substantial enough.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2015 01:45
Dinosaurs have been extinct since last Tuesday? Then explain why KeithC is still alive.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Dec 2015 02:38
temoCehT wrote: "Dinosaurs have been extinct since last Tuesday? Then explain why KeithC is still alive."

Did I not just tell you that you had created a rift in the space continuum, and the only way to fix it was giving me tree fiddy? That's why KeithC is still alive - time has been fluxed up to max thanks to you, dear boy!

Sepp Wrote in the Quote Thingy my name wrong he did wrote: "Yodamn Jer"

Dang I knew I was hot stuff but not Yodamn hot stuff

Zach wrote: "I was having a moment today. If a mod could kindly edit my post that would be great. Still I would like moderators to be moderated."

Why, exactly, do you think moderators should be moderated? I'm very curious as to why you're going on about this, as far as I know you haven't done anything recently to offend anybody, or cause trouble, so... why this topic all of the sudden?

And you can edit your own posts, just underneath your profile picture you should see the button!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2015 02:58 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2015 03:09
Quote: "How about we have some democracy on this forum. Those who are in agree that moderators should be moderated just as much as regular forum members that judgments based on different cultures is wrong and provoking of any kind is not allowed please say I. TGC can not take my right away to speak freely and I will speak up for any person who gets this type of treatment"
This idea would work great if this forum were a country and a full society, but it isn't. This forum is merely a website, the use privilege of which is voluntarily provided by a private company that owns it. You may not agree with every rule TGC and the mods make. I have been where you are -- look at me on this forum 3 or 4 years ago. You have to come with the terms that you don't have a say in the rules here; none of us do, quite frankly, and that's okay. It's quite good in fact; the rules here were created for a specific purpose by moderators and admins that have been here longer than you or I and have been more involved than you or I. They do know best -- it all comes down to how you view and interpret and ultimately deal with the rules here.

I dislike the "unlimited freedom for all" sentiment that many Americans currently seem to hold -- that paradigm of society, effectively anarchy, simply isn't practical. The sentiment seems to be ingrained into the heads of many Americans, presumably due to many falsely perceived freedoms that us Americans in fact don't have and the possession of some arrogant notion that American is a country superior to any other (it quite isn't, and has its flaws like any other country). I am an American myself, and I have fallen into the trap of this sentiment before. It's just harmful when you try to apply it where it doesn't go, like this forum.

Zach, I care for your well being as an individual, and I say all that I do out of that. Again, look at how I behaved on this forum 3 or 4 years ago... It wasn't pretty. I wanted this place to be a democracy, I thought most of the rules were ridiculous, etc. Then I realized that I don't have control over those things -- I realized I don't need to have control over those things. Now I actually enjoy my time here on these forums, and that allows these forums to be a positive, if small, element of my life. I am quite happy with things that way.

Quote: "Ah, Jeffrey."
Eh, long time no post! Fancy seeing you here, Cheesecake. Hey, I say we start a former vice president club.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2015 13:27
Quote: "This idea would work great if this forum were a country and a full society, but it isn't. This forum is merely a website, the use privilege of which is voluntarily provided by a private company that owns it."

A lot of people seem to not realise this. I have argued with sevral people on my minecraft server who were saying things like "you have no right to do this or that because that's not democratic". In a country or society that would be the case but in the case of companies like TGC or some random minecraft server, democracy doesn't exist. TGC owns the servers, they may do as they please with them and appoint whoever they please as a mod. If you are unhappy with that you are free to voice your concern but they don't have an obligation to listen to you. If they didn't care at all and only appointed terrible mods who had free reign to do whatever they want, people would probably quit and go somewhere else. So in order to keep people using the website they need to ensure that most people are ok with the descitions that are made but that doesn't mean they can't punish someone for doing something that *may* not be against the rules if they believe it benefits the rest of the userbase.

Because of this TGC or the mods can't do exactly whatever they want but as long as they follow the general laws in the country that the servers are in they have no legal right to give you free speech.
Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2015 17:50
I'm still waiting to hear about the justification for this post:

Quote: "How about we have some democracy on this forum. Those who are in agree that moderators should be moderated just as much as regular forum members that judgements based on different cultures is wrong and provoking of any kind is not allowed please say I. TGC can not take my right away to speak freely and I will speak up for any person who gets this type of treatment, especially the young ones. They are not going to come to my door like the gestopo and I already have all I want on this forum on my Skype and I use EOSHD from now on. Also those who agree that the rules on asking for help should not be locked please agree with me. I mean seriously you are going to shut down a person's thread because he has concept art and asks for help? I mean what if the person does not want to send footage and have you ever thought of other people who do not have emails, who do not have phone numbers, who do not have any means of communication except this forum? Ever thought of business discrepancies and several other things? Also why is it that certain rules can float on by and not be followed in certain situations in comparison to others just because they are humorous or because it is towards a certain culture or person? Well if you don't mind I'm going to chug Mountain Dew, join Westboro Baptist Church, Vote for Donald Trump, have a shotgun wedding, own a trailer park, eat at Mcdonalds, own 20 shotguns, and tlk lik dis. I'm sick of it. I demand that other cultures are not judged. I do not need to dig up my past to prove anything. I do not need to do anything at all. What are you guys? The gestopo? Go ahead and edit this immediately too, because if I get one person to look at this then my day is made."
-Keith
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2015 22:36
I'm ready to graduate. I'm so tired of homework.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Dec 2015 22:44
Woohoo I just was released from three mandatory chiropractic visits a week! Finally I can tell Progressive to pay my bills

In other news, I think I will definitely be switching to an nVidia card after the disaster with the new Crimson software from AMD last week... apparently thousands of AMD customers had their cards fried because the driver update was bad and locked fans to only run at 20% their normal speed. Thank God I wasn't gaming last week, or I easily could have been one of those people...

So, that 980 looks pretty good to me...

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2015 23:07
Quote: "apparently thousands of AMD customers had their cards fried because the driver update was bad and locked fans to only run at 20% their normal speed."
I bet someone at AMD got their rear end fried too...
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 4th Dec 2015 00:20
Quote: "So, that 980 looks pretty good to me..."

The 980 is excellent. Two of them is also excellent.
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2015 00:56
Quote: " In other news, I think I will definitely be switching to an nVidia card after the disaster with the new Crimson software from AMD last week... apparently thousands of AMD customers had their cards fried because the driver update was bad and locked fans to only run at 20% their normal speed. Thank God I wasn't gaming last week, or I easily could have been one of those people... "

That's bollocks, to borrow an English expression. Only previously faulty or otherwise fragile cards without proper thermal control in the BIOS were affected if they were at all. Just because some cards failed during this period doesn't mean all of them were due to the driver upgrade. The blow up about Crimson is all FUD. The driver was also patched almost immediately Monday morning. Meanwhile Nvidia hasn't been stable for months on Windows with consistent hard driver crashes but they don't get half the bad PR.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 04:54:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 04:54:29