Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [STICKY] The Posting Competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 19:38
this page is i6 years old
\"Windows 10 doesn\'t only include spyware, it is designed as spyware\" -- Gaius Publius, The Big Picture RT Interview
\"[...] we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary\" -- Windows 10 Privacy Statement
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 19:54
I still will claim page

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 20:31 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2015 20:32
But u no haz page. Comet is haz page.
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Self
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 20:34
He just said "this page is i6 years old". He did not CLAIM page. Therefore I took it instead.

he loses

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 21:17 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2015 21:30
Nope, first person to say the the word "page" claims it. I will check the rules, but I am pretty sure that's it!

EDIT Blimey! OP doesn't mention a word about page claiming. However, I'd say it's been the general consensus that merely having the word "page" in your post claims it. By the way, we've all been breaking the rules! Official Posting Competition rules mandate that each post of yours have a different signature than the last, with a minimum of 20 unique signatures to rotate between. Also according to the official rules, breaking any one of the rules can result in points being cut in half (not just double posting!). And something about the number 13 being anywhere in your post....

Mr. President, why don't we start a committee to vote on rules and regulations for the Posting Competition? Seriously, though.
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Self
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 21:37 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2015 21:39
I call dibs on the next page...a bro must always respect the dibs.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 22:09
Quote: "Mr. President, why don't we start a committee to vote on rules and regulations for the Posting Competition?"
[img]null[/img]

Nope. The Uncertainty Principle is what makes it so much fun here, after all. A democracy of some sort would only serve to corrupt the nature of this thread.

But, I do suppose you are right, although it is a bit of an unwritten rule... so, I therefore give TheComet my page back to him.

But just this once.

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 22:14
You can't give comet my dibs

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 22:21
Are you sure? I mean, I guess I can't really, but nothing can stop me from typing it anyway

PH33R MEH POWAH

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 22:24
#rektinpieces

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 22:46 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2015 22:53
What do you guys think of the logo for my new website I'm making?

Here's one that stands out a bit better

And one more alternate:

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 22:54
I like the middle the best

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 23:19 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2015 23:22
I like the top one best; the black outer edges make the other two look a little crowded. <<--random emoticon

Quote: "Nope. The Uncertainty Principle is what makes it so much fun here, after all. A democracy of some sort would only serve to corrupt the nature of this thread."
Pft! Well I can't disagree with you on that point... But democracy FTW!!
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 23:26
It all depends on the color of the header and which would be better suited imo. They both look fantastic. I would go with the middle in white / grey background and first with a darker color.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 23:55
Ah, I should specify that the black outer edges are for readability on places such as these forums. The logo is actually on a black background on the website.

Almost nothing is on the site but seeing as I'm not even going to really publish until January or so that would be why

Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2015 23:58
I like it the way it is

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 01:29
@DJD64
Miller has also edited the OP. So those rules aren't necessarily the original ones. Plus, changing signatures is too much of a pain on here to follow that one.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 01:32
I know, I wasn't calling people to follow any of the rules. That would be ridiculous. Just pointing out an interesting fact!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 03:13 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2015 03:16
Quote: "Miller"

Well that's odd, considering a brewery can't edit anything other than their brewing recipe. I would understand if they did that, Miller is absolute garbage.

Mmm beer puns. Brewed to perfection.

EDIT OH HAI for those who have been keen on progress reports for my mother (who currently has cancer), here a few cool things.

First - a couple of weeks ago we heard from the hospital that they managed to reduce our bill from over $250K down to.... just above $14K!!!

They were able to do this because they have a program which patients can apply for that reduces the amount owed due to it being a huge crisis. Which obviously that was. And since we didn't have insurance at the time that also helped to decrease the amount owed, although now my family has the coverage for chemo appointments and such. So yeah. That will be pretty easy to pay off as opposed to $250K plus

Also, according to an MRI from a few weeks ago her tumors are indeed shrinking, and even showing some signs of remission, though it is still early to tell if it will go into complete remission. Still, any progress is progress!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 04:09
Quote: "Mmm beer puns. Brewed to perfection."
Ah, your puns truly are the best. Of my friend group, I am always the one making puns, and they hate me utterly for it.

And awesome deal with your mom there! 14k is definitely a handsome discount from 250k!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 11:21 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2015 11:23
Quote: "Ah, your puns truly are the best. Of my friend group, I am always the one making puns, and they hate me utterly for it. "

Why thank you! Same here, I am the pun master amongst my friends and coworkers, and they hate it

But most of them hate it in a loving fashion, which is a bit paradoxical buy hey, it's whatevs.

So now it looks like weather officials are saying that despite the strength of the El Nino system (which is the culprit for this warmer weather), it may actually dissipate and release the wrath of the polar vortices, thus ensuring we'll have a fairly white winter after all. This *may* occur in mid January, according to Scientific American, which... isn't NOAA, so I'm not sure how much I actually believe it. But it's not stopping several people from saying it *could* happen.

Personally, I don't mind the warmer weather right now...

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 23rd Dec 2015 13:55
Quote: "EDIT OH HAI for those who have been keen on progress reports for my mother (who currently has cancer), here a few cool things. "

That is excellent news, hopefully the good news continues.
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2015 00:46 Edited at: 24th Dec 2015 00:55
Quote: "So who on here plays games like Battlefield 4 and Battlefront? If you want to add me on Origin so we can play these games together, my username is YodamanJer. What a shocker, eh?"

I would but you're in the US. No fun playing on 300+ ping

Hey all, anyone remember this thread? That was such a massive fail...

Quote: "First - a couple of weeks ago we heard from the hospital that they managed to reduce our bill from over $250K down to.... just above $14K!!!"

WOW. That's just about the best news I've heard in a while!! Back when we bought our 2001 V6 Honda Odyssey (a real luxury vehicle, it was - really wish we still had it!) we paid $13k - puts the difference into perspective! From the cost of a moderately-sized house (which can take decades to pay off) to the cost of a somewhat up-market second-hand car!

Quote: "Personally, I don't mind the warmer weather right now..."

I wish it wasn't so warm here right now (being in the Southern Hemisphere and all). I could do with a cold day. Incidentally I find it annoying that Steam doesn't localise their sales. It's called the Winter Sale right now but for everyone in the Southern Hemisphere that makes no sense. It's Summer here

EDIT: What the actual.... I just watched TheComet's video... I have no idea...

EDIT2: I just took the time to actually read the "forum redirect" notice thing when going to external websites. Can anyone else spot the two major flaws?

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 24th Dec 2015 03:22
I know it wasn't long after that thread that Fluffy was banned... was that the thread that put the final nail in the coffin for him? I mean, that was just a plain-old attack for no reason whatsoever.

I do not miss him one bit... or YavinB, because he would also post incredibly negative things, and troll quite a bit. I don't think he got banned though, I think he finally decided he was just bored of trolling and went dark

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2015 04:49
I gotta say, VMWare Workstations is a pretty slick virtualization solution on Windows. The suspend function is a lifesaver. Lets me jump quickly into a Linux environment for my development while letting me keep Windows up as well.

One day I'll be able to say the opposite (KVM is slick on Linux, suspend Windows, etc), but the rig I have in mind is still a few thousand dollars away from becoming a reality.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2015 09:39
Quote: "a few thousand dollars"

Geez!

------------------

Highly recommended - LED strips from eBay!! Super awesome-looking! We bought a roll of 5 meters, with 44-key IR remote and control box thingy, waterproof, 300 RGB 5050 SMD LEDs, self-adhesive backing, $18 free postage (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281788225601). According to Mum our bus now looks like a brothel They were so awesome, Dad immediately asked us to buy him a set, and my brother and I also bought a set each to further colourify the bus. The 3 new sets arrived today, and we just helped Dad install his behind his large office desk and it looks AMAZING! You can't actually see the LEDs at all. The desk just glows, and it's awesome! Our sisters were complaining that they don't have any, but they don't realise we bought 3 extra sets and that's their Christmas presents for tomorrow I'm going to install my own set under my bed

Also I've been 3D-printing non-stop since the day before yesterday to create my own custom-made hand-held camera gimbal, a project that started as soon as I heard about and saw the DJI Osmo (awesome thing but freaking expensive). My gimbal will support my fairly heavy camcorder with a wide-angle lens on the front. The first design was too weak and flopped, but then I realised I had a long (2m?) section of thick (12mm) aluminium tubing, which will now act as the main supporting structure of the frame. Come ooooon little happy-sounding 3D printer, print faster! And please don't run out of filament before the last parts necessary for my gimbal are complete (new rolls of filament are at least a week away from arriving!)
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2015 18:56
Just realized I haven't restarted/fully shut down my computer in around 2 months... No wonder it's been a little laggy!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2015 00:06
I have had mine on for 22 days and don't have any slowdowns.
Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2015 00:08 Edited at: 25th Dec 2015 00:10
--------------------------------------------------

Merry Christmas!

--------------------------------------------------

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 27th Dec 2015 03:54
It was a Marry* Christmas indeed!

*I'm engaged

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2015 04:35
Congrats man!

I am trying so hard to think of a funny joke about a clutch, since those engage and disengage... But that would be too punny for this occasion.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2015 12:01
Quote: "It was a Marry* Christmas indeed!"

Yes, congratulations for sure.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2015 15:39
Congratulations! That was the easy part....believe it or not.
-Keith
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2015 20:17
Congrats run while you still can!!!!

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2015 08:27
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2015 10:45
Congratulations dude!

Quote: "Haha yeah, I saw on Faceboo"

Sooo post your congrats on FB? Or are you stalking him?
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2015 11:53 Edited at: 28th Dec 2015 12:22
Quote: "Sooo post your congrats on FB? Or are you stalking him?"

?? I'm pretty sure I did post my congrats on FB (if I didn't, that's because I closed Chrome accidentally - not sure if I pressed enter before that or not ). We're friends on FB and the forums, so I said it here as well. You know, so it didn't seem to the all the forum-goers like I was ignoring the great news
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2015 13:17 Edited at: 28th Dec 2015 13:18
I was kidding. No need to be so 4/5.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2015 20:17 Edited at: 28th Dec 2015 20:20
[/i]&[i]quot;

See, it's magic. ^^
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 28th Dec 2015 20:22
So, the seller thought that review was a bad one? What do they do when they REALLY get a bad review?

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2015 07:54 Edited at: 29th Dec 2015 07:55
Ah! Just found a little oopsy mistake on a box of Toblerone chocolates:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 29th Dec 2015 14:29
So yesterday we finally got hit with a terrible snow storm. It wasn't a lot of snow (about 5 or so inches), but it was a "wintry mix" of rain, sleet, snow and ice, making it a huge pain to shovel. Thankfully, we have a really great snowblower and it helped to remove the snow quite easily.

I knew this was going to happen, we had a fairly mild start to winter and now BOOM, we get hit by a storm and it's supposed to snow on and off randomly throughout the rest of the week, as well as be in the lower 30s for the high. Crazy.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2015 16:15
Quote: "as well as be in the lower 30s for the high"

That's incredibly hot for winter. It's been very mild here in France too for the past few weeks, though apparently a couple of weeks into January we're supposed to have a cold snap for a bit. But that's 3rd-hand news so I don't know if that's true. Yay, useless information.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2015 17:15
Quote: "That's incredibly hot for winter"

30 kelvin is actually quite cold for winter, I'd say.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2015 17:49
We finally got some snow two days ago and it hasn't melted yet
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2015 18:26
It's been in the mid 80s F (30ish C) for the last few weeks here. Apparently it'll get colder this weekend but who knows anymore.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2015 18:59
N00bs. Where I live in the Colorado mountains, we haven't seen above freezing temperatures in a little over a week now! And the mountains near here, they are capped with snow from about September to July each year -- that's right, August is usually the only month they're totally snow free. Granted, the snow we get tends to be very dry and fluffy, so quite easy to clear compared to many other parts of the country.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Clonkex, pics of your bus?
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2015 07:29 Edited at: 30th Dec 2015 07:30
I'm officially 18 years old! Well, I have been now for 24 hours and 27 minutes, but I figured I'd announce it now... To think, I joined these forums when I was 12 and a half. I've officially spent nearly one third of my life time as an active member of these forums, and I couldn't be happier about that. Cheers!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2015 09:05
Happy birthday!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 00:21:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 00:21:14