Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [STICKY] The Posting Competition

Author
User Banned
Posted: 25th Mar 2016 21:59
And I am too busy getting page!
Slowly compiling code, one byte at a time.
Follow meh blague for more zany thoughts and possibly offensive programming!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2016 23:21
Gah, whenever I see an account registration form that asks you to enter your email a second time for confirmation but only asks for a password one time, I have to wonder if it was a mistake? Like surely, confirming email address is completely pointless and neglecting to confirm password is a serious issue? Pft!
"By the way, you spelt available wrong"
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2016 03:11
i
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2016 19:43
They can't properly send you spam (or password resets) if your email is wrong, they can always reset the password.

It is best practice to have a reenter password field though

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2016 22:42
Quote: "They can't properly send you spam (or password resets) if your email is wrong, they can always reset the password."
Haha good point, never thought about that!
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2016 23:13

they can always reset the
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2016 09:17
Whey! I just suddenly understood a very important part of how bipolar transistors work... I always used to think that a BJT was effectively a current controlled potentiometer (which I suppose it is in saturated mode?), but really it's a current controlled current limiter! I had been looking at a schematic for a current mirror and was completely baffled at how it worked -- I decided it might be a good idea to actually study how a BJT works.
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2016 17:33
Quote: "I always used to think that a BJT was effectively a current controlled potentiometer (which I suppose it is in saturated mode?), but really it's a current controlled current limiter!"

I thought this too for a while - really confused me when certain resistor values didn't affect the current at all.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2016 01:40
Hmm, so I had inspiration for a game idea.

I may or may not have gotten started on something. *whistles away* Given I get less time for game creation these days, might have be a little lazy on this one. Like, snag a couple of model packs, snag some royalty free music and so on. The visual style I'm going for is 2D on 3D, so less worry about character modelling and animation, which can work to still look good without having to spend time I don't have. Much like one demo I did when making my Abeyance demo.

My inspiration kind of came out from playing Undertale and Stardew Valley, a couple of 2D RPG's. Inspiration in that they are excellent bedroom coded games and also, are both RPG's, without necessarily being about killing monsters and stopping evil. (I am aware Stardew heavily borrows from Harvest Moon). We'll see how it goes.
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2016 07:06
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2016 00:50
"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2016 23:21
Quote: "I thought this too for a while - really confused me when certain resistor values didn't affect the current at all."
Ah yeah, for sure. Current limiting makes BJTs quite handy little contraptions!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2016 01:23
Except that using a BJT for current limiting will never work because the tolerances are so high you'll never be consistent.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2016 01:43 Edited at: 30th Mar 2016 01:49
I probably should have worded what I said more like "knowing of them as a current limiter is a handy way to understand their overall functionality". As it happens, I'm currently studying their various quirks/practicalities and such. I assume trying to use one as a power current limiter would cause self heating, reducing the device's ability to continue functioning as a current limiter? Sounds like beta values are also quite affected by overall collector current.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2016 12:37 Edited at: 31st Mar 2016 16:21
You can make a constant current source by regulating a constant voltage over a resistor:

Obviously you take the maximum power dissipation into consideration (P = Vbe*Ib + Vce*Ic) and also make sure you don't go over Ic(max), which is typically 200mA with a BC547 (check the datasheet) or the device will be permanently damaged.

If you want to do serious power current limiting then one simply doesn't use a BJT. There are far more sophisticated methods that don't waste energy, such as a switch-mode regulator.
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 01:48
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 31st Mar 2016 12:01
Those two are the best.
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 13:12
I don't think I've ever seen such low activity. Very low week!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 21:09
Quote: "I don't think I've ever seen such low activity. Very low week!"

Especially on today of all days. There hasn't been a single half-life 3 post.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2016 23:02 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2016 05:22
Quote: "You can make a constant current source by regulating a constant voltage over a resistor:"
Ah, indeed. Thanks for the nifty schematic!

Quote: "I don't think I've ever seen such low activity. Very low week!"
Very low activity indeed! Someone should apply some thermal energy to the forum, it's too cold and all the forum's molecules are moving too slowly. That's why this place is always a real rager during the summer. #logic

I had a very interesting moment the other day. Looking at a webpage, I suddenly wondered what material the website was made of. Obviously nothing, just light from a screen, but I wasn't satisfied with that... I can't think of any materials that look quite like computer interfaces. Perhaps plastic?

And grr! Why in the crap does Windows 10 struggle so much with handling screen resolution changes? Having to completely re-sign in just for programs to rescale correctly is ridiculous -- Windows 7 had no problems with this. The Windows app store also refuses to download anything for some unknown reason. Perhaps I should go back to 7? I don't see the benefits of 10 anymore, really.
"get's it's name from"
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2016 12:01
Quote: "And grr! Why in the crap does Windows 10 struggle so much with handling screen resolution changes? Having to completely re-sign in just for programs to rescale correctly is ridiculous -- Windows 7 had no problems with this. The Windows app store also refuses to download anything for some unknown reason. Perhaps I should go back to 7? I don't see the benefits of 10 anymore, really."

I don't know if I'll ever upgrade to Windows 10. Microsoft doesn't seem to understand what people actually want from the OS, they're constantly advertising useless features when there's a lot of work that needs to be done to get it on par with Win7 or even 8.
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
@Shadowed Motorola 68000 Assembly Man 16

Have you made sure this thing stays at 100%?
320x224
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2016 08:23 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2016 08:37
Quote: "I don't know if I'll ever upgrade to Windows 10. Microsoft doesn't seem to understand what people actually want from the OS, they're constantly advertising useless features when there's a lot of work that needs to be done to get it on par with Win7 or even 8."
Yeah, I wouldn't discourage you from upgrading, but I wouldn't encourage you to upgrade either.

Boy, it bloody makes me mad how bad most software design is today. Just now using a Comcast set top box, my mom and I had a hard time navigating through the grotesquely stupidly designed UI. Take Spotify, Skype, even big stuff like Windows 8 and 10... What is it? A complete and utter lack of care on part of the developers? Management that only cares about impressing the sheepish, ignorant public with a fancy UI full of eye candy? Where's the quality control? Oh right, software doesn't need that, apparently. It would be too blasting expensive to care about something like that.

Quote: "@Shadowed Motorola 68000 Assembly Man 16"

Quote: "Have you made sure this thing stays at 100%?"
This worked. Everything looks super small now, but that's okay.
"get's it's name from"
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2016 16:41 Edited at: 3rd Apr 2016 16:41
Quote: "set top box"

Those... If you press the guide button and then enter a number before the guide fully loads, does it put each digit you entered in the first digit of the channel number one by one, overwriting the previous digit, instead of filling in each digit like it's supposed to? Bad...

Quote: "Everything looks super small now"

So how high was that thing set? 1600x900 is bad enough at 100%.

A ventilation fan on the apartment building behind my house has basically become a loud, high pitched sine wave. Simply keeping the windows closed is insufficient. I had to put pillows in them to dampen the sound enough to be bearable.
320x224
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2016 18:41
Quote: "If you press the guide button and then enter a number before the guide fully loads, does it put each digit you entered in the first digit of the channel number one by one, overwriting the previous digit, instead of filling in each digit like it's supposed to? Bad..."
I'm not quite sure, I never really use it, but let's just assume it does because of how bed everything else on it is!

Quote: "So how high was that thing set? 1600x900 is bad enough at 100%."
I think either 125 or 150. Come to think of it, leaving it at 100 does the same scaling that Windows 7 would have done, so no biggy I guess.

Quote: "A ventilation fan on the apartment building behind my house has basically become a loud, high pitched sine wave."
Ah, is it that same fan you used to mention? Pft!

I just calculated, if a modern 6 core i7 were to be manufactured with the same process that a 4004 was manufactured with, it would be about a 3.1 meter square die. Big!
"get's it's name from"
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2016 21:59
I think I have just found one of my favourite boss phase changes.

Fight starts off with a normal boss, electronic music, you defeat him, then his friends appear and you beat them one by one. And you see all enemies reappear for the final phase of the fight. FFXIV is notorious for having great phase transitions in fights, as the final phase is always more fast paced and the music generally is there to match (for primals, it's usually a theme song). However, for this, SE thought it was throw back to 80's giant transforming robot anime - or something like Power Rangers but also have the music to match. All to end with a cheesy victory pose.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 4th Apr 2016 00:20
So.... I have become a devout follower of Godot. Sorry guys.

Also, holy crap, not only was I able to afford rent and my bills WITH ONE CHECK on March 31st (yes, the entire month of April for me is paid off!), I have money to spare... which is going straight into savings. Although I did buy Starbound off of Steam last night and it is quite fun. Check it out!
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline

I'm working on a ray caster for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.
320x224
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 4th Apr 2016 00:54
You and your outdated rendering technologies
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2016 01:04
It's funny you mention Starbound because I am listening to the soundtrack right now. It's a very good game, I know it's a Terraria clone, but I love it so much more than Terraria, even if it needs more work done to it. I did used to play with a friend, but haven't played since she stopped playing and with the usual group of people I play games with, only one of them has it, might have to buy them all a copy. Though at the moment seems we are going back through an ARK phase again. Which is also a fantastic game. We're actually running 2 servers, mine, which uses the Valhalla map mod and the other, which we've installed a new map mod on today. Because they game is so moddable, it is quite nice to be able to start fresh and for you to start fresh properly, in that you can try a new map and don't know where all the resources are, how the map is laid out, where all the dinos are and allows you to relive some of the survival aspects. Once you know everything and restart, it is actually quite easy to set up. When you don't, you are looking out into the wilderness, you can like, "this is a nice place to set up...oh no is that a Giga? Well there goes the neighbourhood. Turns out Gigas spawn here."

Or as I found with the Valhalla server I run, I add the small dragons mod. There is a floating island, which I set up my main base on. After first it seemed the only predators were on the other side and I was safe. I logged in one day to find an Argentavis was attacking my dinos and had killed 3 of them. Another day, I went gathering for wood and returned to me base. Turns out a T Rex spotted me and followed me there (I had searched the island and not seen a single rex), but it was in a perfect spot, so I tamed it, then his friend showed up, perfect spot and tamed him too. I had decided to build defences against Argents and Rexes. Then I heard dragon noises, at first I thought, "oh, a tribemate is visiting", but then realised they were doing something else and just 100 feet away from my base was a freaking dragon I had to lure away. So starting on a new map can leave you in the dark about what spawns where. :S
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2016 01:44
Anyone here play Unepic?

Quote: "I'm working on a ray caster for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive."

Awesome!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2016 02:53
Quote: "I'm working on a ray caster for Sega Genesis/Mega Drive."
Epic! I have always been a fan of real time 3D rendering on very old and/or computationally weak hardware.
"get's it's name from"
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 4th Apr 2016 13:30
Quote: "It's funny you mention Starbound because I am listening to the soundtrack right now. It's a very good game, I know it's a Terraria clone, but I love it so much more than Terrari"

I never played Terraria but I am loving Starbound. I only had time to play it for about an hour the other night but it was immediately very fun and quite addicting. Which is why I haven't played it since because I know I'll get sucked into it and lose my momentum on learning the Godot Engine.

I'm pretty much going to be using Godot over AppGameKit for a number of reasons. It's a feature-packed program that has lots of quirks, but once you learn it it's ridiculously fast to prototype with. The scripting language is based off of Python and extremely fun to code in.

However, I won't completely abandon AppGameKit, as I do enjoy coding in it as well. I still want to make a custom GUI library for everyone to be able to use but so far that has proven quite the challenge!

My disappearance from the forums as of late can be entirely blamed on Godot. And also working a proper 40 hours/week.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2016 20:44
D'aww you don't have to become so inactive 'round here. After all, I am a traitor too, that new game project idea I had, has had me boot up Unity3D (well, RPG Maker originally just to try a few things out first). But awesome you've found something that's working for you. For me, I am actually using Unity3D with the ORK RPG Engine for it, because I love the features RPG maker offers (and ORK offers some of the useful features it has), but prefer C# to Ruby and of course having the 3D option in Unity3D and of course get a lot of more flexibility. I might show something off, but alas, I don't always get time to work on stuff, I have some projects to work on in ASP.NET too.

My project is actually gonna be a combination of a 3D environment, except 2D characters, like I did for my original Abeyance demo, however, I may be using an orthographic camera rather than a perspective one, but it will interesting to see what ends up looking the best. http://i.imgur.com/QpKrlX3.png
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2016 21:51
Quote: "Anyone here play Unepic?"

I have not. I was pretty sure it was on my steam wish list for a while, but I guess I already own it. I blame Humble Bundles for getting me to this point.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2016 06:14
Been watching lots of episodes of Kitchen Nightmares lately... Brilliantly entertaining show! I think we need a Gordon Ramsay of internet forums to get in here and fix the place up.
"Several pink flashing gorillas chased me from the chocolate covered mushroom stand"
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2016 20:43 Edited at: 7th Apr 2016 20:44
Rust is a really interesting language. Though im terribly slow at it right now because it's different from all other languages I have used
Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 8th Apr 2016 14:59
I didn't mean to, but I bought a 40" TV yesterday.

And also "The Force Awakens" Blu-ray.... possibly the two are related events
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2016 15:13
Quote: "I didn't mean to, but I bought a 40" TV yesterday. "
Oh shoot, yeah I hate it when I do that
"Several pink flashing gorillas chased me from the chocolate covered mushroom stand"
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 8th Apr 2016 16:11
I swear it just jumped in the cart

I work 11-7 today and then tonight I am watching The Force Awakens. It will be glorious!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2016 00:49
Quote: "I swear it just jumped in the cart"
Ahhhh those things! Shopping is nothing more than a sketchy experience anymore.
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline

Simulated composite cable

This is limited to 16 colours. For the sake of performance, each pixel is actually two pixels, which allows 136 unique combinations of two colours per pixel. Using a low quality video output blurs them together and is actually useful.
320x224
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2016 07:53
Aaaaaah so awesome. Running on the Genesis you say? What sort of frame rates are you getting?

Ahh, I remember the good ol days, when I wanted to create a ray casting 3D rendering engine for the GBA. Fun times...
Randomness 128
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Running on the Genesis you say?"

Indeed.

Quote: "What sort of frame rates are you getting?"

About 20 to 25 FPS.

Quote: "when I wanted to create a ray casting 3D rendering engine for the GBA"

Go for it! It has a much more powerful CPU and can display far more colours.
320x224
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2016 00:03
_self.say (wittyTopics [Math.rand (10)]);
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2016 01:02
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2016 02:09
Quote: "Go for it! It has a much more powerful CPU and can display far more colours."
Pft! I should make that homebrew CPU of mine and render 3D graphics on there.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2016 04:11 Edited at: 14th Apr 2016 04:12
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2016 11:28
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 14th Apr 2016 14:53
Batman vs Superman...is awesome! \m/
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 12:45:09
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 12:45:09