Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [STICKY] The Posting Competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Part of me hoping people wouldn't recognise them as hash browns, because they're weird looking ones and go, "cookies..?""

I checked the file name.
320x224
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2016 15:33
I checked the page
"It also shoots blue flames sometimes, which is startling in the most exquisite of ways." -- Not me
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2016 22:17
I checked my pants. I mean my points
"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants." - Mashable
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 08:00
I checked my privilege
"Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o2rvwdLLSF1rmjly4.mp4
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 08:22
Quote: ""Jeb Bush is a big fat mistake" -- Donald Trump"
Now now, let's use happy words Mr. Trump!

yer foiyerd
"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants." - Mashable
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 11:37 Edited at: 27th Feb 2016 11:38
Quote: "Now now, let's use happy words Mr. Trump!"

"Jeb Bush is a tremendously plump happy accident"?
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 12:02 Edited at: 27th Feb 2016 12:02
Quote: "Not sure what the riddle means, but i am sure that these points are mine. "

Hmm I should have phrased it better:

Maybe, derives from a higher society family.

Quote: "Quote: "Barely touched it. I've not done any game coding for a while, but did decide to boot up Unity 5 and have a play around. I do plan on getting back into it eventually."

That's a bummer, Sep! You should get back to it . Hmm, perhaps you could join our team?"

It is very tempted, but alas I don't have the time most of the time. The coding I do these days is with the frame of mind of landing an ASP.NET MVC job, because my area is good for them. Hence the webdevelopment stuff. My current projects: My Roleplaying group's website (Convert from Rails to ASP.NET), my ARK web app, my Karate Club's website, my recipe based site. On top of running my roleplaying group and having a full time job and other commitments, I doubt I'll be able to fit game programming in there at the moment.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2016 17:54 Edited at: 27th Feb 2016 22:10
Quote: ""Jeb Bush is a tremendously plump happy accident"?"
I'm glad to see Mr. Trump has come around on his language usage!

Colored link test
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 02:28
Quote: "
It is very tempted, but alas I don't have the time most of the time. The coding I do these days is with the frame of mind of landing an ASP.NET MVC job, because my area is good for them. Hence the webdevelopment stuff. My current projects: My Roleplaying group's website (Convert from Rails to ASP.NET), my ARK web app, my Karate Club's website, my recipe based site. On top of running my roleplaying group and having a full time job and other commitments, I doubt I'll be able to fit game programming in there at the moment."

Not sure how the field is on your side of the pond, but here in the states, if you are serious about working in Web dev, you would do well to get familiar with node, angular, react, typescript and mongo. Plus, they are just interesting in general of you are in to this stuff.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 03:11
Pints ! Uhm...i mean...POINTS !
Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 11:20
Quote: "Not sure how the field is on your side of the pond, but here in the states, if you are serious about working in Web dev, you would do well to get familiar with node, angular, react, typescript and mongo. Plus, they are just interesting in general of you are in to this stuff."

I will be doing as such, at least with node.js and angularjs. I don't think I've seen any jobs advertised mentioning anything to do with react, typescript or mongo. I am slowly adding in and picking up other technologies, I am learning that for getting into web development, you need to learn a lot of technologies and keep up with them.

But in my area, this is a pretty typical example of an entry ASP.NET job:

Quote: "The Role
As a Junior/Graduate Developer you will have the chance to get stuck in straight away, working on exciting applications and interface development for worldwide clients. You will be welcomed in this friendly team where each person's input is equally valued; you will work alongside the more senior developers to allow you to learn new skills on the job. You will receive training in all the latest technologies, you just need prior experience with one of more of the following: C#, ASP.Net OR VB.Net, and SQL Server and either a degree, or evidence of personal projects/self learning.

The Person & Skills
I am looking for a Junior/Graduate Developer who is ambitious, and passionate about producing high quality applications for a global business. If you are looking for a company that you can grow within, and develop new skills as well as improving your existing ones, then this could be the role for you. You should either have a degree, or some commercial experience/personal projects; you will need experience with ASP.Net, C#, VB.Net and SQL Server, and training can be provided for other technologies.

Other relevant skills:
*C# OR VB.Net OR ASP.Net - essential
*SQL Server - essential
*Java - beneficial "

Or

Quote: "
ASP.NET.
MVC.
C#.
JavaScript and Jquery.
HTML and CSS.
SQL Server.
Web API & Message Based SOA.
Unit Testing."

But I won't apply for any such jobs until I am confident. It's why I've given myself more than 1 project, to show off different things. My roleplaying website, as an example, because I already have a pre-existing database from my RubyOnRails version of the site, that will show I am capable of programming using the model first approach and that I can work with alternative SQL databases like Postgre - in this I might use one of the popular JavaScript based libraries out there for the flashier features. I might use MySQL for my ARK web app and again, a JavaScript library, this will show that I can do code first, but with an alternative SQL database and that I can work with MySQL. My Karate Club's website might be just a straight up ASP.NET app (perhaps even using scaffolding), using some of the default stuff ASP.NET tries to get you to use, just to show I can work with ASP.NET's templates and build on them. In these projects, I may pick one to slip in some Web API and SignalR. SignalR might work with my Roleplaying site, as an example, because I could work in a real time die roll - like rolz.org but using our own role system.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 12:51
American Shorthair Knight

Abyssinian Bard

Norwegian Forest Cat Shaman

Persian Scholar

Bombay Assassin

Sphynx Fighter

Scottish Fold Warrior

Bengal Archer

Turkish Angora Healer

Maine Coon Berserker

Siamese Magician

Russian Blue Thief

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 18:41
Some of these keyboard designs are pretty interesting.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 19:11
Indubitably so my dear sir!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 21:43
Pft! Perhaps my instruction set will be implemented in a non-efficient manner, albeit a fast and well performing manner. The processor's control unit is turning out to be exceedingly complex -- I was originally going to have it automatically load each instruction, disassemble and decode each instruction, and execute each instruction according to a small set of microcode stored on the processor. But perhaps I could just include a mini set of processor controlling microcode within each individual instruction! Each instruction would be taking up like 4 bytes of data at that point, though.

Ultimately, I plan to develop a small computer device with a display; some sort of pointing input and efficient method of text entry; capable of running a preemptive multitasking capable, memory protected operating system; and having absolutely no microcontrollers, processors, or any other code/software not designed/written by me. Quite ambitious indeed... But doable me thinks!
"Dark Java Dude 64 wrote this sentence" - Dark Java Dude 64
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2016 22:48
Quote: "It is very tempted, but alas I don't have the time most of the time."

Yeah, i can understand completely. (Free) time is one of those hard to find things in life. Which i had more of it myself, to develop my game SCOT (faster), or play guitar (and record), etc...

Seen Deadpool just now! Pretty good movie!

Quote: \"Close those quotes before they start to spread!...too late! Aaaaaagh!!!
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 00:31
Just hooked up my new monitor I can finally see the screen!!!!!
Download My Games for Android. Made with AGK.
Jellyfish Dive- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
Brick Destroyer - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_BrickDestroyer
Ping Bong - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_Pong_Ping_Bong
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 01:19
Ah, I love figuring out clean, simplistic ways to have awesome 3rd-person cameras. Still have to work out what to do if the camera collides with a wall but that's a step I'll save for the next couple of days.

Slowly compiling code, one byte at a time.
Follow meh blague for more zany thoughts and possibly offensive programming!
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 09:35
Hmm, it seems we have about the same approach.

My camera controller loads parameters from an XML file:

I find it interesting that you use a multiplication for your smoothing:

but I use a division:

In your case, smaller values = smoother camera, in my case larger values = smoother camera. I found that to make more sense but I then ran into division by zero issues when the user didn't configure that value.
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 10:53
Quote: "In your case, smaller values = smoother camera, in my case larger values = smoother camera."

I think it's because I'm multiplying by Time.deltaTime, which is a cheap way of making timer-based movement work in Unity.
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 11:18
I'm also multiplying by deltaTime
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 11:38
Oh, I didn't see where you had said you were dividing for smoothness. That's an interesting idea. I might tweak my script for fun just to see what that would change
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 19:14
I will forever be the 1,330,873 viewer of this thread
Jellyfish Dive- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_JellyFishSwim
Brick Destroyer - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_BrickDestroyer
Ping Bong - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CrazyProgrammerProductions.my_Pong_Ping_Bong
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 20:34
Quote: "Yeah, i can understand completely. (Free) time is one of those hard to find things in life. Which i had more of it myself, to develop my game SCOT (faster), or play guitar (and record), etc..."

Aye, doesn't help that a group of people at work are tying to persuade me to play The Division when it comes out. Not that I already am playing 2 multiplayer games, on top of trying to program, run a roleplaying group, study Karate, do normal life stuff and go to work. That said, I will probably oblige.
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 20:45
Mmm goose egg curry.
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2016 22:01
Which 2 MMOs are you currently playing?
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2016 01:07
Quote: "Which 2 MMOs are you currently playing?"

Final Fantasy XIV (I run a company on there) and ARK: Survival Evolved (I run my own server with friends).
Crazy Programmer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2016 03:16
I never could get into the Final Fantasy style ARK: Survival looks very interesting I might have to add it to the list of things to try in the future
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2016 06:01
Significant pants are coming soon to a thread near you!
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2016 08:00 Edited at: 1st Mar 2016 08:02
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 04:10
ARK does look pretty fun. Hard to find time to play anything much lately though
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 04:58
Quote: "Hard to find time to play anything much lately though"

Yeah, that's why i play my guitar from time to time
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 05:23
Just found an old Sony Walkman I've had for a good decade or so! I bought it at a thrift store about 9 years ago for a dollar, never turned it on since. Works a charm! Seems to be a 1991 model from a date code inside. It must have been nice for its time, it has two little bass/treble adjustment sliders and a little switch to turn the uber fancy "Mega Bass" circuit on and off. The tape mechanism inside is dandy neat too!
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 05:47
Quote: "Just found an old Sony Walkman I've had for a good decade or so!"

That's cool!

Brings back some good memories. I remember recording my own songs (some of them were hilarious pieces of my funny imagination ), and when i listened to them later on, i had pain in the stomach from laughing!

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 16:31
Anyone else find the new combat system in Minecraft 1.9 to be less than stellar?

I love that you can offhand something, though. That's ridiculously useful.

But it's now even harder to destroy creepers...
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 23:44
The mobs were made stronger in this update from what I heard (harder to kill). Haven't played it yet though.

What else is new and worth looking at?
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2016 23:53
Quote: "What else is new and worth looking at?"
Growing carrots turn purple when struck by lightning
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Mar 2016 03:01
COMMAND BLOCKS NO LONGER REQUIRE REDSTONE TO FUNCTION

This... this means so many adventure maps will be made it will be ridiculous!
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2016 04:12
How does Minecraft perform these days? Still pretty unoptimized or much better?
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2016 05:01
I'm not sure, but these points perform very nicely .
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2016 16:38
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2016 21:48
I think minecraft works pretty well performance wise. It hasn't got worse atleast (I think).

As for the 1.9 update, I havn't really tested it at all yet. All I know is that spigot (bukkit) has updated already which is unusual since it used to take months for stable releases to come out.
Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2016 18:11
^Those are great. I remember seeing them a few weeks ago.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2016 07:17 Edited at: 5th Mar 2016 07:18
Epic, I just figured out how to make a current source using an op-amp:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2016 10:52
That's not a current source, that's a non-inverting amplifier.

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/opamp/opamp_3.html
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2016 17:30 Edited at: 5th Mar 2016 20:39
Pft, but it ensures a constant current through the top resistor regardless its resistance! (within the op-amp's voltage limits of course) I'll have to read up in that article.

Going through your junk mail can be quite entertaining:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2016 00:41 Edited at: 6th Mar 2016 00:50
Oh right, you're doing that.

Here are two circuits to add to your inventory.

1) You can abuse a 3 terminal voltage regulator to create a constant current source. Iout = Vadj / R.

2) You can build a constant current source with a PNP transistor and a zener (or two diodes if you don't have a zener). Iout = (Vzener - Vcb) / R2 where Vcb=0.7V typically. R1 should be selected so ~1mA flows through the Zener diode, i.e. try to operate the diode in its linear region.

A quick simulation of the output current in function with the load (in ohm) shows that it outputs a constant current of ~17mA if the load is smaller than 600 ohm.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2016 14:18
Speedtree for Unity is awesome!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 6th Mar 2016 14:19
My informant has let me know that these are points. I must remember to feed my informant for this.
"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 01:56:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 01:56:47