Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPS Creator: What's Next?

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 13:25 Edited at: 11th Jan 2008 17:51
Alright; since FPSC X10 seems to be nearing completion, I believe the time to begin work on the next evolution of FPSC X9 will be upon us (or rather, upon Lee) in the not-so-distant future. This sticky is meant to be a resource for the powers-that-be to reference when making decisions on the priorities of FPSC's further development.

First; this thread will ensure that people's wants and needs are summarized in a single all-encompassing thread.

Second; this thread will be heavily moderated. This is NOT a "let's bash FPSC" thread. Adhere to the AUP and established FPSC forum "netiquette", when posting here.

It doesn't matter if you post something that is posted elsewhere, this is the place that I will point Lee to when the time comes. Please be as specific as possible when making your post/request; use images if you need (even images from other games/utilities...as long as it doesn't appear to be a competing advertisement) a reference. Also try to be realistic; asking for something like "a giant MMO world that you can move about seamlessly", isn't a realistic request for an engine of this scope.

Moderators assume the right to modify and/or delete posts that are found to violate the AUP, or spirit of this thread's purpose. If you find your thread has been altered or deleted unfairly; e-mail myself or another FPSC Mod, we will do our best to explain to you the deficiencies in your post...and possibly help you to come up with a more appropriate approach to your specific request.

Constructive criticism of someone else's post or idea is fine, as long as it's not spiteful or belittling. If you disagree with someone's idea, explain yourself.

This thread is not intended to be limited to Media or the graphic capability of FPSC; if you have an idea about scripting, menu layout, shader systems, compatability, etc....let it be known; but please be as specific as possible.

-Keith

Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
For Me I would say that implimenting the dark AI system and releasing an update with this implimented should be a priority as this is seems to be the biggest cause of slowdowns and in my opinion is FPSC's weakest area quality wise.

Thanks
Adam
General powell11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 15:17 Edited at: 29th Oct 2007 15:17
What i would lke to see in further updates is, allies/teammates, better framrate (more dynamic objects alowed also like charectors, more people)ragdoll effects, more multiplayer (team deathmatch, capture the flag etc..., dablevable vehicles, and better lighting. those are some of the things i wouly like to see in a future update for x9

Check out my WIP game, and comment at-----http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=110649&b=25
SamHH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 17:12
Speed increase, better collision,more variables(that allows for a lot) another camera so we can have 3rd person.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 17:35 Edited at: 29th Oct 2007 17:39
In my opinion the poor frame-rate is one of the top concerns. It really limits what you can do with FPSCreator. I understand the need to conserve polys (and limit scripts), but it shouldn't be this bad. I don't really see it as a "FPSC X10" fix; you should be able to get a steady frame-rate with average level design. Perhaps testing FPSC upgrades should be tested on less-than high-end computers as well.

Gamers aren't going to take the developer seriously; if their machine can run Call of Duty, Far-Cry, F.E.A.R. and other games just fine (even on some of the highest settings)...but can't run an FPSC-created level without running into poor frame-rate issues. Many other issues with FPSC can be circumvented with 3rd-party products, or creative level design; but poor frame-rate is a show-stopper and a reason why some developers have moved on to other tools.

-Keith

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 17:47
Frame rate would be my first concern (isn't that right Keith ) Have a decent size game and things start slowing down, and that's before you place any enemies.

My second would be enemy AI, just to have a couple of enemies dance around reaching you through walls is not good enough.

"he is coming!..." - WIP in 'Showcase'
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 17:52
Yeah, that's a real bummer. I would like to see better pathfinding and enemy instancing, or whatever let's eight enemies barrage you without your computer crashing. An in-game terrain modifier would be cool, but that may fall into the area of "a giant MMO world that you can move about seamlessly" And maybe some kind of swimming system, even if you just bob and float.

Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 18:06 Edited at: 1st Nov 2007 16:29
I agree that the first priority is framerate and the second is AI. One small request I have is to be able to change the fadeout screen for each level. For example, some levels I would like it to fade to a Level Complete screen, and for others, just fade to black, or white. Another request is the ability to have the game auto-save at the start of each level.

Thus far I have stayed away from Multiplayer because the options are too limited. If more options were added, I would definitely start to develop some multiplayer games.

Pain
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 19:33
i would defintlly like to see the better fram rates
and mabey some good AI system
some more Shaders/bloom effects would be nice. or mabet some speedy antilisting or what ever its called.

and yea more multi player options (game options like attack and deffend team) (team Death match) (objective)

pain

Me = noob

and i love The TGC : )
naeseth
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with all who posted before me. Things I would like to see improved:

1. framerate issues
2. enemy ai
3. lack of support/resources for multiplayer

Its mind boggling to me how there is almost no support/ or anything else for people making multiplayer games. Ive read on a previous post that multiplayer is the future, and I agree with that. I would love to see somekind of improvement to the multiplayer side. Be it support, new game modes, dynamic entity support for other than guns and weapons.
TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 21:20
A good (but rather outlandish) request would be to implement some sort of 'spectator mode' where you can fly around and through walls, to view things from different angles while in game.

And... of course.... DarkAI and removal of the framerate cap would be first priority.

[center]
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Oct 2007 22:08
Ragdoll deaths...

A simple kill animation just isn't enough. It's also been around for quite some time now. I think x9 deserves to get it as well.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Dammit, Jim! I'm a programmer not a graphic designer!!!

FPSC Scripting Tutorials - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=116527&b=23
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 00:43
I think that their first priority should be the framerate, and implementing a timer system to help with slower computers. Then, I would definitely update the A.I. with Dark A.I. and add around ten variables. A shader update would also be nice, as well as some more customizable (can't think of any off the top of my head). Oh yeah, being able to adjust a light's intensity as well as its range would be fantastic.

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 01:18 Edited at: 30th Oct 2007 01:18
Well, mentioning Dark AI and ragdolls seems pointless, as it has been mentioned before that they will be implented sooner or later. I look forward to it already.

Apart from those two things and framerate issues, of course, I definetly want an update on shaders. A functional normal map shader in particular, it would greatly improve the quality of my upcoming grunge pack and my games, and others content too, of course.
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 01:21
Lee told me that adding Dark AI is one of the things he wants to add to X9, so it sounds like it will be added, which will end the stupid AI issues.

General powell11
Years of Service
User Offline
ph yea and outdoor maps as well, more mountains and better effects!

Check out my WIP game, and comment at-----http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=110649&b=25
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 05:05
Im definitely all for Ragdoll, dark Ai would definitely be nice, and ofcourse we all want more speed, but I do have to say that FPSC has already traversed leaps and bounds from the original V1 when it comes to speeds and loading times wich I have to say bravo. It can go nowhere but up. But yeah my big request is Ragdoll.

Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 05:17
Here's my top seven things I would like to see in future X9 updates.

First is frame-rate, Right now, if I have a big level, it's hard for me to look around with the frame-rates.

Second is Ragdolls, I love ragdoll effects, I just hate games without it (Well, not hate them, but it makes it look that much better).

Third is Enemy/Ally Ai, Not just a mod, for, I don't want to keep re-installing FPSC after (I make a game with only 2 allies) the mod is installed.

Forth is light's intensity.

Fifth is Shaders/bloom effects would be nice.

Sixth is MP features, I love MP games, deathmatch, CTF, Team matches all that, it needs these features.

Seventh is vehicals, it's not that important to me it's just I think it's a nice feature.

So, that's all the stuff I would like to see in future updates.

Click here to join my design team, EARTH PRODUCTIONS
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 11:20 Edited at: 30th Oct 2007 11:51
Well, I'm not going to ask for any of those X10 features that we know X9 will be getting.
Instead I want to make a request for something that could be used for X9 or X10.

HEAD SHOT DETECTION

Detecting head shots would make for more realistic shooters. (snipers)
Head shot detection is the only thing I am asking for now, since melee is already coming.

I know that this requires re-writing a bunch of the source code, but this is an important feature that most shooter games are capable of and it would be a major plus for the zombie and sniper fans. It really should be done sometime, so wouldn't it be less to re-write if it is done now rather than later when even more code has been added for these other things?
The realism of the gunfire in games is a lot more important to me than any shadows, vehicles, or allies.
I just hope that it could be done at some point in time, and that it isn't totally impossible.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment

fik
Years of Service
User Offline
You all seem to be assuming major updates will happen after X10 comes out. How long have the fps and other issues existed so far?
Will there be time / incentive to put a lot of work in to this older version once the new Dx10 version is out? I would think priority would then be on bug fixes and improving the new version.After all where will the money be coming from then new version or the old version.As to all these enhancments being asked for I would just like to see X9 work like it says on the tin after all this time.So please leave them all out.
General powell11
Years of Service
User Offline
another thing would be blood effects, not so much blood puff, and more blood on floor

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 17:11 Edited at: 30th Oct 2007 17:12
Framerates improvement, main reason I stopped using FPSC. It just takes way to many compromises and adjustments to get good framerates at the moment.

But I don't believe major work will happen on X9 at all. Even after it's release X10 will still take up most of the time in development and improvement. Lee has spent a lot of time into improving the framerate in X9 without much succes.

I do believe getting X10 is a much safer bet, if you're on Vista at least. Since I'm not a betting man at all, I'll just sit on the fence to wait and see what will happen. Will X10 be a repeat of X9? if yes, then all time will be spent on X10. will X10 be stable? If yes, then X9 may get some attention.

But having experienced how buggy Vista is and unlogical it behaves, I think it safe to assume that even after release X10 will need a lot of attention, leaving not much room to do major work on X9.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
shadow651
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 17:53
heres mine in order from most important to least

1.Better Frame rates
2.AI(i would lke to make a good game and AI is important)
3.Better MP features like TDM,CTF,KOTH etc.
4.Ragdolls
5.In-Game editing like say something is out of place slightly i don't want to exit testing just to fix it
6.Better Lighting
7. Water, like really games have had water since 1997 nearly 11 years on and FPSC still doesn't have it
Ice Cube
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 17:58
I agree with "framerate issues" and "enemy ai" but will be very suprised if the first one can be fixed.

What I really want to see is "Head Shot Detection" - if you shoot an enemy in the head, it dies, no matter what the weapon is.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 18:12
Head shot detection would require a Hit-Box system; I'm not sure if that's in the cards with FPSC Classic, but I'd obviously welcome it.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 18:59
Ok guys, I've created a poll to see what TGC should tackle next. Yes I realise there will be loads more than the nine I have but it's worth seeing which of them comes out first. I you don't like any of them, don't vote.

http://www.madladdesigns.co.uk/fpsc/FPSCPoll.html

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2007 19:02
I just voted.

Doctor Who
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 00:05
Two things come to mind: .AVI as a texture (a small video on a screen in downtown New York) and the ability to select multiple textures for a model in a scripted sequence (think of a traffic light, red, yellow, green).

The Doctor

I straddle the line between genius and insanity. Guess which side I'm on now?
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 00:08
Oh yeah, I forgot about that, Keith. Hit box detection. Could also speed up framerates.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 03:43 Edited at: 31st Oct 2007 03:43
I Believe that frame-rate is of the utmost importance, then it should be everything that is there, should work correctly. Something funny I dug up a while ago is this

http://web.archive.org/web/20040325051224/http://fpscreator.com/

If you read the "What is it?" section, you might see this..

Quote: "
What is it?
Think of FPS Creator as a generic first-person action/shooter game engine that has been optimised in every area possible to provide the best performance on both low-end and cutting edge hardware. You will be given the tools to map, sculpt, texture and create your own game environment and then click a single button to dive right in and test the game.

In The 3D Gamemaker you were stuck with the levels and game styles provided and deviating from that was difficult, if not impossible. With FPS Creator those restrictions and linear paths that were forced upon you are gone. Variation is the order of the day and nothing is hard-coded into the application. Every single aspect of your game, from the AI used by the monsters to the meshes used to blow holes in walls, can be controlled and modified by external files. You can change everything: AI, models, segments, maps, FX, sounds, music, scripts, cut-scenes, etc. "

Your about to get pwned.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 04:40 Edited at: 31st Oct 2007 04:44
The frame rate issues and what causes them are well documented and well known to Lee.

The two issues in order of importance and impact on FPS, frame rates and in game performance are :

1. Characters AI routines - think time allocated by the engine : is tied directly to fps and the resultant in gameplay speeds at run time. It is the nunber one cause of poor performance by a large order of magnitude by far. You can not have better fps and smooth gameplay, nor better AI more and advanced behaviours unless the issue is addressed, fixed or replaced as the latter would just cause more slowdowns unless it is. One relies on and impacts upon the other. They work in tandem. Lee has said it will perhaps be addressed at some stage. Hopefully soon.

2. Polygon culling : The FPSC compile - build process : Compile and in game Polygon counts are erratic. Massive fluctuations in game ploys to view or other compile errors pehaps unknown cause the serious lagg issue and seriously impacts on fps and gameplay speeds. Not sure anything will ever be done about this as may require serious amounts of investment of Lees time unless something can be ported to FPSC.

Two separate issues which nevertheless impact one upon the other and accumalatively seriouly impact on FPS, gameplay speeds, smooth gameplay, poor collison, erratic AI entities behaviours and the overall quality and number of finished games made with FPSC.

"There are those who said this day would never come - What have they to say Now?"
Ice Cube
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 04:43
Although, frame rate is most important I think this should not be discussed anymore, because basically anybody wants it fixed.

Quote: "Variables - To allow us to manipulate things, like score, number of keys picked up, if the player is holding a certain weapon..."

Nickydude, I really like this idea. More programming - better results. Of course sometimes it's More programming - more bugs

T3h Camp3r T3rr0r1st
Years of Service
User Offline
I need the model packs to work with X10!

Camp3r's ROCK don't screw with 'em!
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 11:33
I think they should rehaul the scripting language for FPSC once the framerate issues are worked out.

I would definitally like to script like this:

or even

Now that would be a scripting language worth bragging about.

The one and only,
~PlystirE~

Ice Cube
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2007 23:32
Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 14:09 Edited at: 1st Nov 2007 14:16
i would love (in Order)

1.Time based animations, not frame based (so the FPS wont have to be capped)
2.Multiplayer updates (eg. Team Death Match, Map rotations, ded servers, more players, dynamic objects)
3.Variables in the code
4.hitboxes
5.dark AI
6.ability to change the map size (maybe through fpi)
7.Good water,like DX10 water but for DX9

YAY, We Got Our MUSIC BOARD!!!!
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2007 16:00
I'd vote for hitboxes and ragdoll deaths. That would bring killing the enemies to a whole new level, since... well... death animations are a bit obsolete.

We've seen the world burn! We've seen the sun eclipse from the smoke of the burning dead!
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 20:13 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2007 20:13
Remember guys, I've created a poll to see what TGC should tackle next for FPSC X9. Yes I realise there will be loads more than the nine I have but it's worth seeing which of them comes out first. I you don't like any of them, don't vote.

http://www.madladdesigns.co.uk/fpsc/FPSCPoll.html

just a small bumpage

Duplex
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 20:36
I voted.

Professional, afforable, what more could you want?
Get your FREE Standard Edition Today!
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2007 23:57
Polygon culling fixed please.

This is the biggest killer of the universe.dbo object. Fix this and the sky is the limit with the FPS.

Your mod has been erased by a signature
butyouman
Years of Service
User Offline
rag dolls and the cool water

Slipknot Rules
darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2007 04:27
Things I would like to see:

1. Dark AI
2. Fix the frame rate so that it's uncapped
3. Ragdoll, or at least simulate ragdoll by making it part of the death animation.

moogle man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2007 11:08
hmmm well oviously frame rate improvement would be nice, stationary guns would be good, better multiplayer aaannnddd at least small outdoor terrains i mean its getting kind of old having only itnerior segments.

the wombat watches you all
General powell11
Years of Service
User Offline
does dark ai support allies (srry for me being a noob)

Black Terror
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2007 20:50
Gun recoil:
When the player shoots the screen doesn't move at all, this makes it extremely easy to shoot objects in FPSC and recoil would make it more challenging and more interesting to play.

Custom graphics, textures, and segments
Uthink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2007 21:27
1. Need better frame rate
2. Better collision
3. Game objectives
4. Timers
5. Better tools and documentation for creating custom media.
(Segment creator is better than nothing, but very frustrating
When trying to create irregular (non-square) segements.)

I know you can achieve some of this through scripting, but it's far from easy and not very consistent.

"I'm trying to find new ways to make this game more attractive." - Dennis Rodman
Pablo Diablo
Years of Service
User Offline
I would like to see a blood rate mechanism where you can turn up or down the amount of blood coming out of the person you shoot.
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2007 10:42 Edited at: 6th Nov 2007 10:44
@General powell11
if you read about dark Ai off this webstie you would know it supports allies and much much more.

@Pablo Diablo
you can already do that by changing decal max in the characters .fpe or something like that, can anyone post a reminder how this is done? you can also change the blood decal, however I do agree its something you should be able to do in the editor

Thanks
Adam
General powell11
Years of Service
User Offline
oh, alright

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2007 18:43
That is already possible.
Quote: "3. Game objectives"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 21:29:28
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 21:29:28